PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if you won the lottery?

cozener
09-20-2008, 01:19 PM
I would love to win the lottery and start a huge wolf preserve. This was the inspiration...

So what would you do?

I would also want to do something like that but not before me and mine were very well taken care of. Either that, or something local...improve the schools somehow...build new ones, bring a huge a world class planetarium or aquarium to Louisville...would be cool if I could put it near the Louisville Science Center.

After that, there would be the toys...yes...the TOYS.

1. A completely self sufficient home...solar power, its own water supply, outfitted with all of the latest media devices, completely connected to the net, etc on an out of the way (but not too inconveniently out of the way) forested patch of land. It would have a fully equipped gym with a sauna, hot tub, and a lap pool in an adjacent building that can be accessed from the main house by a tunnel as well as above ground. From that tunnel I will construct the Bradcave. I would tell you more about the Bradcave but its a secret. ;)

2. A harem. Actually...this comes first. My wife would just have to understand. As a matter of fact, she can use my harem whenever she likes. After all, its not my harem. Its our harem!

3. A bad motorscooter

4. A boat. I want a boat. I don't want to take care of a boat but I want one so I'd have to hire people to keep it and maybe someone to drive it for when I'm really smashed.

5. And one of these two cars. http://archives.wiscollectorcar.com/site1/gto.jpg http://www.chevy-camaro.com/images/69redRS_SS_012204_01.jpg

Ah hell, both of them. :)

razz
09-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Buy a copy of every Crichton and King Novel
buy a much better computer
College
Buy a truck
and a saxophone

other stuff. and lots of it!

turtlex
09-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Not sure how but - the Dark Tower Signed and Numbered Grant Limited First Edition Set - # 19 - it would be mine!

Give some to charity - there are several that I try to send money to now and that wouldn't change.

How big a win are we talking here?

Then, tons of land in Montana, Key West, and Cape Cod.

Then, houses on said land, furnished with the coolest funiture and the best Game Room and Home Theater.

A sailboat - always wanted a sailboat - like a Hunter 30 or a Beneteau, or a Pacific Seacraft.

Then - all books and DVD's that Amazon could deliver.

Darkthoughts
09-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Pay off the mortgage and extend the house - I wouldn't move right now because the kids love living on this street, all their friends are here.

Sort out my parents and my sisters financially.

Open an all night cafe called La Bonne Auberge.

Travel the world.

Help financially with environmental projects that research alternative energy and also financially support local conservation groups (there are alot round here as we're surrounded by lakes and wild life conserves.)

turtlex
09-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Pay off the mortgage and extend the house - I wouldn't move right now because the kids love living on this street, all their friends are here.

Sort out my parents and my sisters financially.

Open an all night cafe called La Bonne Auberge.

Travel the world.

Help financially with environmental projects that research alternative energy and also financially support local conservation groups (there are alot round here as we're surrounded by lakes and wild life conserves.)

Tried to google La Bonne Auberge" to find out what it meant, and it came back telling me there was already a bunch of restaurants called this.... DID YOU HIT THE LOTTERY?!

jayson
09-20-2008, 01:45 PM
1. Quit my job and tell my boss precisely what I think of him.
2. Make sure everyone in my family was financially secure.
3. Buy a house, a NICE house, preferably somewhere with mountains.
4. Build a recording studio in my new nice house.
5. Buy a 1957 Fender Telecaster (or two).
6. Spend the rest of my life playing guitar.

turtlex
09-20-2008, 01:46 PM
R of G - I love your first choice. I dream of doing that - every day.

Darkthoughts
09-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Tried to google La Bonne Auberge" to find out what it meant, and it came back telling me there was already a bunch of restaurants called this.... DID YOU HIT THE LOTTERY?!

:lol: No, it was a very good restaurant in the Dordogne that I used to go to with my parents. It basically translates as The Good Inn.

turtlex
09-20-2008, 01:47 PM

:lol: No, it was a very good restaurant in the Dordogne that I used to go to with my parents.

Aha, a tribute to sweet memories. I love it.
If I hit the lottery, I will come and visit :)

razz
the fact being that after college i wouldn't change my life. i'd still live in a house, not some mansion. Of course I'd buy my own, and get out of Flint. But i would keep working. I wouldn't splurge or anything. I'd use money to lose some weight (not medical though), but i wouldn't change my appearance, and I'd try to keep my new found wealth from going to my head.

jayson
R of G - I love your first choice. I dream of doing that - every day.

I can't even remember the last time I had a job where that wasn't in my thoughts almost every day. I've worked for some real jerks.

Darkthoughts
09-20-2008, 01:50 PM
Aha, a tribute to sweet memories. I love it.
If I hit the lottery, I will come and visit :)

Your table is already reserved madame :couple:

I added an edit to my post with the translation ;)

razz
09-20-2008, 01:54 PM
two more things. one of the reasons i would keep my life normal, is because i don't want to end up with some snotty bitch that only likes me because i'm rich.
Also, I'd head on over to the UK or Maine, or whatever every year to meet Y'all at the annual DT gatherings.

valtr0n
09-20-2008, 01:56 PM
First off, I'd buy at least 100 acres of land here, in Kentucky. Preferably bordered by National Forest (which this county has 40,000+ acres of). I'd build a faux houseframe visible from the road, with only a working garage door. That garage door would open, I'd pull in, and another garage door on the reverse would open, and I'd continue on towards the real house, complete with underground tunnels and the works.

I'd probably fence the whole place in, too.

Once I had that, and everything else I want, plus whatever I want in savings, I'd go around and give people money to do stupid shit.

Jackie
09-20-2008, 04:15 PM
If i won the lottery i would buy a nice house with room for a huge library, a gym, a food network sized kitchen, a huge walk in closet,[it would need to have a big backyard], a huge pool with a slide and a diving board, a hottub a car [preius], a beach house and a ski cabbin. [i would also need to buy some ski/snow board lessons with that cabbin :lol:]

And to add on to the back yard thing, i would want it to be huge so i could have get a zoo permit and have all sorts of animals like hugh hefner has.

Wuducynn
09-20-2008, 04:30 PM
I'd buy the world some coke. A line for every man, woman and child.

Woofer
09-20-2008, 04:33 PM

Just one?!

Jackie
09-20-2008, 04:33 PM
:wtf:

Girlystevedave
09-20-2008, 04:44 PM
There's no way I could name it all at once, but I would definitely:

1. Travel, travel, travel
2. Pay off my house
3. Have skeeball in my house
4. Build a rollercoaster for personal use.

Jackie
09-20-2008, 05:06 PM
True Girlystevedave i forgot to add travel, i want to travel all over Europe, Enland, Africa, Brazil, Japan, China, Australia, Irland, Egypt and many other places

Ka-mai
09-20-2008, 06:04 PM
Pay college for myself and my sister, plus my grad school.

Pay off my car.

Get Matt a new pair of soccer shoes, and myself some climbing equipment. Hell, Matt can have a new car, too. His is kind of small and beat up.

Go travelling! Take the fam back to Ireland, do some of continental Europe, and go back to the Caribbean too. Oh, and California. Matt's coming this time.

Finally go see the Red Sox at Fenway, and get some kick ass seats.

Get my fam some cool things, I don't really know what they want... I'd start with a new computer. :lol: New cars maybe.

I have no idea how much money I'd have to win for all that, though.:panic:

turtlex
09-20-2008, 06:08 PM
You know what always cracks me up - this topic has come up with my friends many times, and there's always one person who says something like "I wouldnt quit my job, I'd get bored, what would I do all day?" and I'm always saying " WHAT?!? "

( and honestly, the person who says that is generally full of themselves and crap )

I can't imagine with all the art, books, music, culture and travel possible - that anyone would ever get bored.

What I wouldn't give for years to travel the world, experience everything I want to see.

Heck - I dream about exploring the US with an Airstream Trailer!

Every summer I do a road trip, just to whet my appetite.

Oh, yeah, and Red Sox Season Tickets. I dream about those too.

Wuducynn
09-20-2008, 06:24 PM

Just one?!

That's 6 billion lines of coke.

Woofer
09-20-2008, 06:34 PM

Just one?!

That's 6 billion lines of coke.

Aye, you say true, and we say thank ya. http://psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/CafinatedWolf.gif

Daghain
09-20-2008, 06:50 PM
I would set my mom up in a really nice house.

Get a downtown loft (probably Portland, but that's still up for debate) with a kickass library - one of those with the books to the ceiling, where you need the little ladder on wheels to get to the top!

Pay off all my debts.

Travel, travel, travel!

Have a lot of really great dinner parties with my friends.

Girlystevedave
09-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Get a downtown loft (probably Portland, but that's still up for debate) with a kickass library - one of those with the books to the ceiling, where you need the little ladder on wheels to get to the top!

I said the same thing last night. My library will also have a huge comfy chair and a fireplace. :drool: I've always dreamed of having a library.

I would also do something relating to animal welfare. Whether it be donating to an animal rescue group, or maybe opening a sanctuary. Something! I would definitely quit my job, and any 'work' I did after that would be related to animals. :wub:

Jackie
09-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Daghain

Get a downtown loft (probably Portland, but that's still up for debate) with a kickass library - one of those with the books to the ceiling, where you need the little ladder on wheels to get to the top! I said the same thing last night. My library will also have a huge comfy chair and a fireplace. I've always dreamed of having a library.

Same here! For the ladder and the couch/fire place. I know this is corny but have you ever seen Beauty and the Beast? Remember the library Beast 'gives' to belle? THATS what I want. :drool:

Girlystevedave
09-20-2008, 08:21 PM
Hells yeah! As long as talking dishes and candlesticks aren't included. :lol:

Jean
09-20-2008, 10:51 PM
You know what always cracks me up - this topic has come up with my friends many times, and there's always one person who says something like "I wouldnt quit my job, I'd get bored, what would I do all day?" and I'm always saying " WHAT?!? "

( and honestly, the person who says that is generally full of themselves and crap )

I can't imagine with all the art, books, music, culture and travel possible - that anyone would ever get bored.
Exactly! Exactly!!! I have a number of students who are rich men's wives - all sweet and funny and intelligent, but I hate them when they say, "I would be bored at home". They all fucking work. It's completely beyond me.

College
Buy a truck
and a saxophone

that - and many other posts in this thread - is a wonderful example of an old thought that a man can be truly happy with fulfillment of his desires only even his new level of affluence is one (max two) step above what he has now; give him more than that, and he will get confused and lost. It must be true for at least some people and animals: I think I would buy two pair of shoes, a two-room apartment, a new (not second hand!) set of clothes for self and wife, and when I traveled, I would stay in hotel rooms with actual shower in the room, and when I went to the airport, I would take a taxi!

I also would help people I love to fulfill their dreams, like, pool in with Lisa for that auberge and with Woofer for that preserve, and get razz a saxophone, and pay off some of Irish Dawn's debts, etc.

Letti
09-20-2008, 11:06 PM
I have seen this question many times and the answer is still the same.
I would give it all to my Moon. He has such great and big dreams. They are so amazing... my dreams are just shadows next to his. It would be heaven-like to see he can make them become true.
We would share it that's sure and we would buy lots of useful things from it... a house in the village (you know with ducks and chickens) and stuff like that but the most important think that I would spend it on... that would be time. I would try to organise my life to have much more free time to my loved ones.
That's all.

Brice
09-21-2008, 01:21 AM
I would of course set my family up nicely.

Buy a small house with wall to wall, ceiling to floor bookshelves and fill them.

Buy a couple select rare SK books.

Set up a nice travel fund.

Put a little bit in the bank

...and then give every penny of the rest of it away. :)

...or I'd buy a certain island. ;)

BROWNINGS CHILDE
09-21-2008, 01:26 AM
Pay off the student loans
quit my job
go back to school
study literature for fun
try to write

and play with my 6 month old twin girls instead of working

alinda
09-21-2008, 05:05 AM

:thumbsup:

cozener
09-21-2008, 05:43 AM
I'd buy the world some coke. A line for every man, woman and child.Yes but wouldn't that make it difficult to teach them to sing in perfect harmony?

( and honestly, the person who says that is generally full of themselves and crap ) Agreed. I didn't even mention work because I took for granted that everyone would just assume that the first thing I'd do is quit my job. :lol:

razz
09-21-2008, 05:49 AM
the largest reason i wouldn't just quit to live of the lottery is because i want to be a vet.
and it's something i've wanted to do since I was nine (before that a doctor). Being rich will jus help me accomplish that.

jayson
09-21-2008, 05:53 AM
I'd buy the world some coke. A line for every man, woman and child.Yes but wouldn't that make it difficult to teach them to sing in perfect harmony?

Maybe not. David Crosby has been able to harmonize as well as almost anyone and he's been plenty coked up for a lot of the time he was doing it.

fernandito
09-21-2008, 06:00 AM
First, I'd make sure that my family is set up financially.

Then I'd buy a nice house somewhere out in the valley where I can have a soccer field as my backyard! :dance:

I'd buy every comic, novel, and graphic novel series known to man and stockpile them in my inhouse library. *sniff*

I'd build an indoor theater where I can blast all my favorite video games and movies at eardrum-splitting volume (!!)

The rest I'd use to go forward with Operation - Meet All My Favorite People From DT.Com :wub:

alinda
09-21-2008, 06:01 AM
too slow....

alinda
09-21-2008, 06:02 AM
:thumbsup:

jayson
09-21-2008, 06:04 AM
I'd build an indoor theater where I can blast all my favorite video games and movies at eardrum-splitting volume (!!)

We could all gather at Feev's home theatre to screen all of the films in the BMOAT tournament.

fernandito
09-21-2008, 06:08 AM

We could all gather at Feev's home theatre to screen all of the films in the BMOAT tournament.

WHAT?! SORRY, I DIDN'T CATCH THAT.

*lowers volume*

Oh sure, sure, everyones welcome!

LadyHitchhiker
first I'd pay off my mom's house, then I'd pay off her debts and my debts...

then I would buy a house for my husband and i, get my car fixed - which I would not replace because it was my dad's - and I think I would HAVE to go next year to meet everybody at the palaverthon... and fly out other people who couldn't afford to do it on their own...

And I would donate a sizeable portion to the animal shelter in Amory, Mississippi because they need it.

Other than that, I would tuck away money for hard times, and just live life as I have, except then I could afford to give to people or animals who really need it..

LadyHitchhiker
I wouldn't quit my job, neccessarily because I'm working at a bookstore, which is my dream job, but I would probably quit my other job because it's just working at a gas station. *shrugs*

Wuducynn
09-21-2008, 06:13 AM

Pay off all my debts.

Travel, travel, travel!

Snort the free line of coke Matthew will have given me.

Sounds great. :harrier:

Wuducynn
09-21-2008, 06:17 AM

What Jayson said.

Woofer
09-21-2008, 08:33 AM
I also would help people I love to fulfill their dreams, like, pool in with Lisa for that auberge and with Woofer for that preserve, and get razz a saxophone, and pay off some of Irish Dawn's debts, etc.

Awww! Thankee, Jean.
http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/562/hugs_VS.jpg

In addition to starting a wolf preserve, here is what I would do (off the top of my head and in no particular order (assuming a hundreds of millions of dollars win - dream big!)):

Pay for a real sewer line in our neighborhood so we could get off of the septic tank system and thereby increase the marketability of these houses.
Build and furnish a complete shop for Mr. Woofer so that he can get his home business off the ground.
Hire helpers for Mr. Woofer, who is like an absent-minded mad scientist.
Pay off my brother's old house.
Pay off my bills and my best friends' (yes, I have a handful of bests) bills.
Build an underground house that is like the one in The Number of the Beast (and similarly accessible - also, I love, love, love the scuba-required water escape tunnel through the bottom of the sauna).
Throw a massive party at the Biltmore House (http://www.biltmore.com/), Konigschloss Neuscwhanstein (http://www.castles.org/castles/Europe/Central_Europe/Germany/germany7.htm), or both. I'd love to own one, but I don't think any lottery would net me the kind of money to own and pay for upkeep.
Help my friends (see Jean's answer).
Travel.

Need I note that I would definitely quit my job to devote my time to the wolf preserve?

Daghain
09-21-2008, 08:40 AM

Pay off all my debts.

Travel, travel, travel!

Snort the free line of coke Matthew will have given me.

Sounds great. :harrier:

:lol:

Brice
09-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Aside from what I alread said I'd pay a large team of people ridiculous amounts of money to call bill collectors at home and harrass them. :evil:

Calling between the hours of 9PM and 9AM, on holidays, and while they are eating earns a bonus. :D

razz
09-21-2008, 11:37 AM

Awww! Thankee, Jean.

In addition to starting a wolf preserve, here is what I would do (off the top of my head and in no particular order (assuming a hundreds of millions of dollars win - dream big!)):

Pay for a real sewer line in our neighborhood so we could get off of the septic tank system and thereby increase the marketability of these houses.
Build and furnish a complete shop for Mr. Woofer so that he can get his home business off the ground.
Build an underground house that is like the one in The Number of the Beast (and similarly accessible - also, I love, love, love the scuba-required water escape tunnel through the bottom of the sauna).
Throw a massive party at the Biltmore House (http://www.biltmore.com/), Konigschloss Neuscwhanstein (http://www.castles.org/castles/Europe/Central_Europe/Germany/germany7.htm), or both. I'd love to own one, but I don't think any lottery would net me the kind of money to own and pay for upkeep.
Travel.

Need I note that I would definitely quit my job to devote my time to the wolf preserve?
well maybe since i'm rich, i could volunteer my veterinary services at your preserve? because the only animal shelter in my area is the human society, and i don't want to help them. they'd just use the money to pay to put more animals down.

Letti
09-21-2008, 12:15 PM

OR????

Not or!!!

And! :wub:

Woofer
09-21-2008, 01:27 PM

Awww! Thankee, Jean.

Travel.

well maybe since i'm rich, i could volunteer my veterinary services at your preserve? because the only animal shelter in my area is the human society, and i don't want to help them. they'd just use the money to pay to put more animals down.

You absolutely could. http://psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/welcome.gif Wolves need medical care, too.

Doctor http://psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/science.gif and patient http://psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/fever.gif hoping to avoid the need for http://psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/wolfincone2.gif.

Brice
09-21-2008, 02:58 PM

OR????

Not or!!!

And! :wub:

Okey okey okey! :wub:

AND I'd buy a certain island.

...and a big boat which I'd promptly sink after using once.

leaveittobeezer
09-21-2008, 03:15 PM
You know, I've personally never understood the whole "I'm gonna quit my job" train of thought. I'd keep my job & work on MY terms. How liberating would that be?

Woofer
09-21-2008, 03:40 PM
You know, I've personally never understood the whole "I'm gonna quit my job" train of thought. I'd keep my job & work on MY terms. How liberating would that be?

Really? It would not feel right to me. I could not take a paying job away from someone who needs it when I have money enough not to work. Plus, heh, more time to have fun and work at what I want to, e.g. the wolf preserve.

Brice
09-21-2008, 03:48 PM

I can understand that, unfortunately MY terms involve

me smacking the bosses around the room and telling them what worthless fucking wastes of oxygen they are...daily. If they'd like to keep me on through that I'll be more than happy to hang around though. :)

gsvec
09-21-2008, 03:57 PM
All I can think of is the movie "Office Space"!

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd120/oaktownr8r/Funny%20Motivational/office_space.jpg

Sam
09-21-2008, 04:05 PM
It would be difficult to quit my job at this point. Especially since I don't have a conventional job. I WOULD have a hell of a book collection along with a house to put them in. And a few other things that would jump to my mind. I would NOT have some gaudy place to live though. Oh, and my wife would have a house to store all of her stuff that she likes to horde. You know, stuff like old sales papers, receipts that have no use, candy bar wrappers...the important things in life.

razz
09-21-2008, 04:08 PM
College
Buy a truck
and a saxophone
that - and many other posts in this thread - is a wonderful example of an old thought that a man can be truly happy with fulfillment of his desires only even his new level of affluence is one (max two) step above what he has now; give him more than that, and he will get confused and lost. It must be true for at least some people and animals: I think I would buy two pair of shoes, a two-room apartment, a new (not second hand!) set of clothes for self and wife, and when I traveled, I would stay in hotel rooms with actual shower in the room, and when I went to the airport, I would take a taxi!

of course there are still a few big things, personal things i'd do, like fly to Britain to meet David Tennant, or tour Germany, Denmark, Austria, Russia, and japan. I'd also want to open a German Sheppard breeding Kennel.

Brice
09-21-2008, 04:13 PM
All I can think of is the movie "Office Space"!

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd120/oaktownr8r/Funny%20Motivational/office_space.jpg

Hell, this describes my work ethic NOW. :rofl:

gsvec
09-21-2008, 04:16 PM
Then when you win the lotto, you can buy us all one of these! And maybe get one for yourself now to wear to work :evil:

T-shirt

Brice
09-21-2008, 04:19 PM
Hell yeah! I need that yesterday.

And, yes I'd absolutely wear it to work. :thumbsup:

CPU
09-23-2008, 12:05 PM
I'd use the winnings to buy several million lottery tickets so I could win twice :rock:

theBeamisHome
09-23-2008, 08:00 PM
aw great thread!! like i said in the money happiness thread me and Nigel talk about this so i have lots of ideas of what i'd do.
. set up my family... all debts gone (including Nigel and his mom and sister, they're like fam now). obviously erase my debts too.
. get my sister her own cake shop (she wants to be a cake designer... Nigel said he'd buy her a food network cake show! lol)
. start Nigel's production company (cuz that will make even more money!)
. start my fleet of elite schools (for ages 2 all the way up through high school.. training geniuses)
. travel (i'd do this before and after i have kids so they can experience culture too)
. build a super cool house somewhere in Pennsylvania maybe, with a skylight in the master bedroom, some secret passages for Nigel and his sons :rolleyes:, and an indoor/outdoor pool... and the library with the fireplace and comfy chair..
. donate some money to rescue Pit Bulls... they get a bad rep and they're really good dogs
. i might get a lioness as a pet... as long as it wasn't bad for her.
. i would also not work, but i would go to school and take every class that i've ever wanted to take... not necessarily to work towards degrees but to get as much knowledge as i could.
. i'd learn to play lots of instruments... violin, piano, trumpet, guitar, cello maybe.

there's more i'm sure... and those aren't in any particular order... more like simultaneous :lol:... i'll add as i think of more.

Jackie
09-24-2008, 03:32 PM
I would find and buy a signed first edtion of every Stephen King book:P

The Lady of Shadows
09-28-2008, 04:23 PM
*pay all my bills.
*pay all my best friend's bills.
*set up an education fund for my god-daughter and her little brother
*build my husband a multi-car garage somewhere and buy him several more cars.
*redo our kitchen and bathroom.
*buy books, lots and lots of books!
*buy a fucking starbucks franchise and teach them that no foam means no fucking foam! :shoot:
oh, sorry, got a little sidetracked there.
*donate a shitload of money to several charities that are dear to me and my husband.
*make sure matt had enough money to keep this place going for life.
(purely selfish reasons i assure you! :evil: )

i'm sure there are other things but that's what i can think of right now.

theBeamisHome
09-28-2008, 07:53 PM
t/s!!!! yay! :couple:

razz
10-02-2008, 04:15 AM
well turtle, if you ever need me to put the fear of god in starbucks, i can send you a photo of my brother (they wouldn't wat to end up liek him, would they?)

theBeamisHome
10-02-2008, 05:30 AM
:unsure:

Harrald
10-02-2008, 05:45 AM
Well this is almost an easy one.
1) pay off my house
2) Fix up and expand the house a bit (French drain, expand the kitchen, add a bath and maybe a second floor for a master suite)
3) A trust fund for my son.
4) Set up my nieces, nephews, cousins kids and close friends kids with college funds
5) In this order, visit the rest of Central Europe, Central America, Asia, South America, The parts of the USA that we haven't seen that we would like to see and then Australia.
6) If there's enough left over, buy a home in London (our favorite city) A home in Costa Rica and one somewhere in southern California.

All this depends on how much the lottery was worth and if I could get enough from investment income to make this all happen.

As for work...If it was some much that I DON'T have to work, then I leave my job. I sorta like what I do so I wouldn't run away at first chance.

As for Charity...I was told once by a man that is very charitable. Charity without anonymity is publicity. This person donates millions a year and no one ever hears about it. While people like Oprah, Trump, Branson and other philanthropists may donate huge sums of money they make sure that the cameras are rolling.

That's about it for me. My wife just wants a fifty by fifty foot, wooden two story library. The kind with a fireplace, leather chairs, a ladder that rolls along the walls and a big window.

jayson
10-02-2008, 06:44 AM
As for Charity...I was told once by a man that is very charitable. Charity without anonymity is publicity. This person donates millions a year and no one ever hears about it. While people like Oprah, Trump, Branson and other philanthropists may donate huge sums of money they make sure that the cameras are rolling.

It reminds me of a line from the sketch comedy show "Mr. Show"...

"Charity is when you do something for others while other people are watching."

Tiffany
10-02-2008, 06:51 AM
-Buy my mom a new house and set up my family, financially.
-Buy a modest, but spacious, house for me and my husband with a dream kitchen and a huge library.
-Make sure the house has enough land so that I can have a small pack of doggies and a few kitties.
-Make a few donations to some charities.
-Have a cleaning service.
-Go on an African safari.
-Visit Greece.
-Spend a couple months on the Amalfi Coast.
-Go shark-diving (in a cage, of course) and watch Great Whites feed.
-See some more of the U.S.
-Quit this somewhat serious job for a little while to do all those things. I would absolutely get antsy so I think I'd get a little parttime fuck-off job doing something that I liked well enough.
-Oh, and set some aside for my kids, when they come along.

I'm sure I'd travel to more places than what I've listed, if there were enough money. Those are just first on my list.

razz
10-03-2008, 04:21 AM
the sharks say:
"some food has toys inside. my toys have food inside!"

KaLikeAWheel
10-07-2008, 09:42 PM
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo162/KaLikeAWheel/House1.jpg
If I won the lottery, I'd buy this house!

Single Family 69 WEST BROADWAY Bangor, ME 04401 MLS#: 842709

THE PERFECT HOME FOR YOUR STEPHEN KING COLLECTION!

In W. Broadway Historic District, you'll find large rooms, wide moldings & sturdy construction. 1/2 acre backyard of lawn & perennials, 4 story barn, butler quarters
Included is a1 yr AHS Home Warranty! Tax Amount/Yr: $6,978.00 Colonial Rms: 15 Bdrms: 7 Baths: Full = 3 1/2 = 2
Finished Square Footage 4,918 Source: Measured (Per ANSI Guidelines) Foundation Sz ±: 67'x39'+57'x28'
Foundation Poured Concrete Basement: Full, Walk-Out, Unfinished. Construction: Wood Frame Year Built ±:1888 Color: Keystone Gray
Exterior: Wood Siding, Asbestos Roof: Shingle Floors: Wood, Vinyl, Partially Carpeted Heat System: Hot Water, Baseboard, Multi-Zones Heat: Oil
Water Heater: Off Heating System, Fireplace: 1 Wood Stove: Yes Wood Stove HU: Yes
Appliances: Dishwasher, Disposal, Dryer, Range-Electric, Refrigerator, Washer Amenities: Attic, Home Warranty, In-Law Apartment, Pantry, Porch,
Storage Equipment: Cable Seasonal: No Lot Size(Acr) ±: 0.83 Zone: URD-1 Surveyed: Yes Flood Zone: No Site: Well Landscaped,
Wooded, Level, Open, Sidewalks Location: Historic District, Intown, Neighborhood Uses: Residential No Restrictions Paved Road Frontage ±: 102
Transportation: Near Airport, Major Road Access, Public Transport Sewer: Public Water: Public Electric: 220 Volts, Circuit Breakers Gas: Bottle
Veh. Storage: 2 Car, Attached, Auto Door Opener, Barn, Direct Entry to Living, Garage, Storage Above Driveway: Paved Parking: 1-10 Spaces
Information Provided By Agent: Office: ERA Dawson-Bradford Co. 417 Main Street Bangor, ME 04401 (207) 947-6788 processing@eradawson.com

$389,222.00

ERA Dawson-Bradford is probably Bangor's premier Real Estate Company. You can view more about this house on their web page:
www.eradawson.com

According to http://www.bettsbooks.com/ this would make you Sai King's next door neighbor.

Donna

theBeamisHome
10-09-2008, 08:30 AM
15 Bdrms???? :scared: sounds like i'd have to move my whole family in not to be scared all the time.... and maybe my math sucks but how does 3 full and 2 halves equal 7 bathrooms.. so confused.. lol

KaLikeAWheel
10-11-2008, 10:36 PM
15 Bdrms???? :scared: sounds like i'd have to move my whole family in not to be scared all the time.... and maybe my math sucks but how does 3 full and 2 halves equal 7 bathrooms.. so confused.. lol

Shhhhhh...don't mess with the dream! :P

Donna

theBeamisHome
10-13-2008, 06:38 PM

gsvec
10-13-2008, 06:49 PM
That's 15 rooms, 7 bedrooms, 3 full baths and 2 half baths :lol:

KaLikeAWheel
10-14-2008, 12:30 AM

:rofl: So it is!! I was reading it the same way Beam was...Can you tell I haven't looked for real estate in about 15 years?? It's not that I love the house I live in (in fact, I detest it), it's just I hate, hate, HATE to move!! Of course, if I won the lottery I could pay someone to do all that icky packing, carrying and unpacking for me. ::dreams:: And this is the house I'd buy...http://hunters-view.com/ ::dreams some more::

Donna

theBeamisHome
10-14-2008, 04:49 AM

ohhhhhh!! that makes more sense. :doh: of course 7 bedrooms is still a lot... but it is workable :D

Old Man Splitfoot
10-14-2008, 03:25 PM
First thing I'd do if I won the lottery is crap my pants, because I don't play the lottery. Then I'd cash in my ticket before they realized there must have been a mistake somewhere. Then I'd spend a couple days brainstorming with my friends, till I could come up with the most fucked up, insane, and hiliarious way possible to quit my job. Next would come the party. It would be loud, drunk, and last about a week. Then the weeklong hangover.

Then would come the spending. First thing would be to set myself up with an awesome house. It would have to have about six bedrooms; one for me, a couple for any theorhetical children I might have someday, and the rest would be for friends when they came to visit. My house would need to have an awesome, well stocked library; I like the idea that many of you had about the ladders that go up to the ceiling, comfy chairs and couches, and a fireplace. Also, I'd have framed first issues of all my favorite comics, or first appearances of my favorite comics characters. My library would also have a minibar; stocked well enough that I could get a nice buzz without having to leave my library, but the real bar would be in the game room. And the game room would more or less be the heart of the house; a GIANT TV for movies, arcade games (old school X-Men, Simpsons, Street Fighter II, along with Sniper Scope and a few others), a pool table, and every game console and game that even looks mildly interesting. Not to mention a shit ton of DVDs.

Then I'd set my parents and brother up with a smaller, but also awesome, house. Their houses would be close enough to mine that they could come over and enjoy my library and game room whenever they wanted. I'd actually want my brother's house to be right next door, and our back yards would have no fence between them, because our dogs would want to play together. Because I'd damn sure buy me some dogs with my lottery money.

Then I'd open up a comic shop. It'd be the best goddamn comic shop in Oregon, or hell, the whole West Coast. I wouldn't just sell comics, I'd sell all kinds of cool crap that no one needs but everyone wants like video games and toys and junk. Then I'd just spend the rest of my life working there. I've actually put a lot more thought into my comic shop than I have lottery winnings, because I've wanted to run a comic shop most of my life. My shop would be awesome. As a tax write off, and public service, I'd donate comics to schools; every school in the Rogue Valley would have a damn nice selection of TPBs. I'd start a program where school kids would bring in report cards, and good grades got them free comics, shit like that. Hell, maybe even bad grades could earn 'em a free comic or two. Don't want to make the idiot children feel any worse, right? But at night, after closing, I'd totally drink and smoke in my shop. I don't think I'd hotbox the place, 'cause smoke is bad in a room full of paper, but I like the thought of getting baked and reading comics all night. Every Wednesday (new comics day), I'd read as many of the new comics as I could.

fernandito
10-14-2008, 03:29 PM
That's fucking awesome, Splitty! :thumbsup:

razz
10-14-2008, 03:57 PM
awesome?! it's fucking BRILLIANT!!

cozener
10-15-2008, 02:53 PM
I didn't think about bedrooms in my house. Man, I can be an inconsiderate bastard. I just assumed that my harem would be ok with spending their time in a huge room laden with pillows and hookas waiting in anxious anticipation for me to arrive. How am I going to build an energy efficient house that has 47 bedrooms? And can you imagine picking out decorations? (although I think I can hire Jon for that but still...)

Y'know I'm not sure I want to win the lottery now. These decisions are so stressful.

LadyHitchhiker
10-15-2008, 02:55 PM
I think if I won the lottery, I'd spend the first day running around singing, "I've got a golden ticket"... :rock:

ladykatherine
10-16-2008, 02:32 PM
haha oh ladyh...that actually sounds like fun :wtf: hehehehe.

OoooOOooo what would I do if I won the lottery? Hmm, well I would definitely put aside money for the rest of my brother and my college. I'd make sure my parents had an amazing retirement fund, since a lot has been lost in the last year through the stock market...I would probably fund my mom to go back to school (she's doing that right now actually) and my dad to have that good family vacation he never gets to have.
THEN I would go to Veterans Acres (a nature perserve by my home) and carry around as many red balloons as my friends and I could carry and just give them out to strangers walking around and playing at the park. I'm sure the kids would love that.
And then, I would buy a cute little victorian house and paint it different shades of pinks/reds like my 'cherry house' in Indiana (it's really quite beautiful!). And probably save whatever was left for when I decide to leave and explore the world. Sounds good to me.