PDA

View Full Version : skemers

Scoogs
09-20-2008, 07:46 AM
The skemers email list is coming back online, but I still seem to be having the same problem I've always had. Anytime I try to make a post to the list my email gets rejected by the server and bounces back.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Nerak
09-20-2008, 07:50 AM
I sent an email and it didn't get bounced!!!

jhanic
09-20-2008, 09:57 AM
So did I. I'm glad it's coming back!

John

gsvec
09-20-2008, 09:59 AM
I sent one, too - no bounceback!

Patrick
09-20-2008, 02:45 PM
I receive them, but I've never tried to send one.

Essentially this a waste of a post then, isn't it. Sorry. :unsure:

gsvec
09-20-2008, 02:47 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/gsvec/Smilies/laugh3.gif ah-yup!

Nerak
09-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the input, Patrick, glad you can contribute to the conversation!!!

Patrick
09-21-2008, 01:01 PM
:lol: I do my best.

nt07077
11-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Sorry to bring up an old thread but how does Skemers work? Ive just joined and I want to know how to speak to others on the list. Any help? Thanks.

jhanic
11-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Just reply to one of the newletters. That's all there is to it.

If you haven't gotten a newletter yet, here's the email address:

newsletter@skemers.com

John

The Lady of Shadows
11-10-2008, 08:05 PM
:cry:

This message was created automatically by the mail system (ecelerity).

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

>>> newsletter@skemers.com (after RCPT TO): 550 5.1.1 User unknown: newsletter@skemers.com

natehorning
11-11-2008, 02:11 AM
I would like to join too but have never been able to get it to work. If anyone figures it out please post it here so I can get on board. Thanks.

Nate

CRinVA
11-11-2008, 06:41 AM
I have no problems at all - getting hte newsletters again and have submitted a cuple of posts that made it in.

Matt
11-11-2008, 07:25 AM
I was able to get a post or two in a while ago. Haven't tried for a while...I probably need to get the newsletter addy changed to my darktower.com email. :orely:

jreitan47
11-11-2008, 08:40 AM
Weird...I've been a member for just over 10 years now (!!) and have never had any problems receiving or posting to the newsletter. I'm glad it's back, it's especially nice to see some of the "old-timers" posting but I'll admit that I don't read the newsletters as much as I used to. Sometimes I have to delete or skim them if my inbox is especially full.

natehorning
11-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Just reply to one of the newletters. That's all there is to it.

If you haven't gotten a newletter yet, here's the email address:

newsletter@skemers.com

John

Is this possibly the wrong address? I just tried to sign up again and it was returned to me also. Any help anyone can offer would be appreciated. It's no fun looking in at the cool kids while I have to stay out in the cold.

Nate

jhanic
11-11-2008, 05:19 PM
I copied that address right off my last newsletter. I've responded a number of times recently to that same address without a problem. I don't know what's going on.

John

nt07077
11-11-2008, 05:44 PM
Yep error for me too.

Nerak
11-11-2008, 05:45 PM
I didn't even get the last newsletter :( Someone had to forward it to me! Not Nice!

The Lady of Shadows
11-11-2008, 06:15 PM
:sigh:

i guess i'm just not one of the cool kids.

:lol:

natehorning
11-12-2008, 02:09 AM

It's okay. We'll make room for you out here with us.

Nate

jhanic
11-17-2008, 04:56 AM
Here's the email address for the webmaster at SKEMERs:

webmaster@skemers.com

Maybe they can help the ones of us who are having problems. This was posted in the latest SKEMER newsletter.

John

The Lady of Shadows
11-17-2008, 07:37 PM

It's okay. We'll make room for you out here with us.

Nate

:couple: :rose:

Here's the email address for the webmaster at SKEMERs:

webmaster@skemers.com

Maybe they can help the ones of us who are having problems. This was posted in the latest SKEMER newsletter.

John

i sent an email to that address john. i'll let you guys know if/when i get a response. thanks! :rose:

The Lady of Shadows
11-17-2008, 08:49 PM
yeah, yeah. double post so :shoot: me.

got an answer from michelle ballard at skemers not even an hour after i emailed them

THANK YOU!! We had no idea that this email address was not working. That has now been fixed. If you don't mind trying again and let me know if you have any problems. Thanks!

Michele

and then

It might take it a few hours to propagate...just in case it doesn't work right away.

Thanks again!

so i will send another message to the original email address of newsletter@skemers.com in about two hours and see if it goes through.

and all will be well, and all will be well, and all manner of things will be well.

:)

gsvec
11-17-2008, 09:12 PM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd293/MrsRoryWeasley/Other/Smilies/Millan%20Smilies/doublepost.gif

hahaha. Seriously, though, it'd be nice to know that SKEMERS all working again! :)

The Lady of Shadows
11-17-2008, 09:18 PM
okay, i'm stealing that smilie! :D

the newsletter@skemers.com address is valid now. and we all say thankee to michele at skemers for getting that accomplished so quickly! :rose:

i'm working with michele now to get the website enrollment thingy working. right now it's still giving a "500 server error" even though it seems to have generated a subscription confimation letter for me. go figure.

but michelle says she gets the requests from the email address so go ahead and use it. :D

natehorning
11-18-2008, 02:21 AM
John, thanks for the address and thanks Turtlesong for pursuing that. It was fixed before I had a chance to check into it.

Nate

The Lady of Shadows
11-18-2008, 10:18 AM
and all will be well, and all will be well, and all manner of things will be well.

the skemers site enrollment form is up and running thanks to michele and her hard work (and the hard work of the husband she keeps locked behind the scenes :lol: ). also, the email address is good to go.

so. . . .

no, seriously, pass it along. cause we're skemers again. :)

Fsmdr
11-18-2008, 11:12 AM
Skemers is asking for donation to keep the server up. In case anyone might want to donate, here is the newsletter regarding the request :

Hey gang,

Michele here with a little bit of admin stuff. Chris and I need your help. Please, EVERYONE, read this post. If you have any questions, please email me directly at webmaster@skemers.com. Thanks.

It's hard to believe that SKEMERs has been around for 13 years now. Our first web site was a member listing hosted under a member's personal web site. When Andrew and I took over about 11 years ago, we tried a few different hosting options -- some free and some we paid for. In the end we determined that, for what we needed, a commercial web host was the most reliable option. It has been about 10 years since we appealed to the group to make donations to keep the site alive and the response from members was incredible. For the next couple years, the site and any other issues that arose were paid for and we didn't have to worry about it.

After a while, though, the money ran out. Since that time, Andrew and I have paid for the domain name and web hosting out of our own pocket, supplemented by any extra money generated by the annual conference shirt sales. Some years, the shirt sales covered everything and some years they didn't cover any.

Fast forward to this year, and things have changed. Though the cost of hosting has decreased considerably since we first started, we (that includes us and Chris - all personally) aren't able to continue to pay for the site any longer. With the site being down this year, and consequently no shirt sale, the web site fund is currently empty. So we are here again, appealing to you to help us out.

So, to bring this to the topic at hand, we would like those of you that are willing and able to donate a few dollars to keep the web site up and running. The charge for the upcoming year (through November 2009) has already come out of personal checking and we need to have that covered. If even 10% of the group give a couple dollars, we'll be covered for at least this year...and possibly next year as well. Obviously, if no one donates and the costs aren't covered, then the group will be gone.

Because I know someone will ask, sending out the amount of mail that we send out prohibits us from going with a free list serve. Chris and I have talked ad nausaum about different formats, but always return to the mailing list because that's just who SKEMERs is. When we are sending a newsletter every day, we send over 1,600 emails.

If you are able to donate to keep us up and running, I'm listing my paypal email address below. I'll keep everyone posted on our progress.

mountaineermich@frontiernet.net

Thank you,
SKEMERs Admin Team
Michele, Chris & Andrew

The Lady of Shadows
11-18-2008, 02:18 PM
that would really suck. to just get it fixed and then have to close it down. i sent them a small donation. just to get the ball rolling. :)

pickle
11-20-2008, 07:38 AM
I just signed up and im looking forward to taking part.

Will donate when i get paid.

natehorning
11-22-2008, 05:56 PM
Now that I think I have signed up, how often do the newsletters come out?

Nate

jhanic
11-22-2008, 06:01 PM
Looking back, they've been coming out every two to four days. No set schedule.

John

gsvec
11-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Amazingly enough, SKEMERS has asked that donations be stopped - they've gotten more than enough $ to continue! From the latest newsletter:

THANK YOU all so much for the donations you have sent in to cover the expense of the web page. We are simply overwhelmed at the generousity you guys have shown. I'm stunned to be saying this, but you can stop sending in donations. You guys have blessed our socks off. We'll be covered for the next year (or two) as well.

pickle
11-23-2008, 01:08 AM
I know i got that too.

Really amazing how quickly that was raised. Well done to everyone who donated.

Brice
11-23-2008, 04:03 AM
Skemers doesn't like me. :cry:

I registered a long time ago and forgot to check my email and never saw the account confirmation email. Now of course I can't log in and my email is already registered. :(

gsvec
11-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Shoot 'em an email, Brice. Maybe they'll allow you back in. :wtf:

The Lady of Shadows
11-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Skemers doesn't like me. :cry:

I registered a long time ago and forgot to check my email and never saw the account confirmation email. Now of course I can't log in and my email is already registered. :(

hey brice? michele likes me. want some help? :evil:

Brice
11-26-2008, 02:12 PM
I emailed her. She's trying to take care of it. :)

Chooch
01-13-2009, 04:19 PM
I tried this and this is the response:

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<newsletter@skemers.com>
(reason: 554 Mail appears to be unsolicited -- send error reports to root@hostname.hostingdb.com) :yawn:

jhanic
01-13-2009, 04:31 PM
Try:

newsletter@skemers.com

John

Chooch
01-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Thanks Jhanic....I went to the site and logged in

Matt
01-13-2009, 05:04 PM
Isn't that an email address?

Chooch