PDA

View Full Version : Hershey's Mockolate - Thanks, but no thanks

Woofer
09-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Oh, milk chocolate. Wherefore art thou?

Apparently not in some Hershey’s products that contained milk chocolate for years, and that has passionate chocolate aficionados fighting mad.

Full article here (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26788143/).

May said the recipe change has ruined the Hershey’s taste for her. But in a blind taste test conducted by TODAY, about half of the participants said they liked the new Hershey’s Kissables even better than the Kissables with cocoa butter.

Those disgusting miniature Kisses covered in cheap, M&M knock-off candy coating? Well, those are awful in the first place.

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/562/kissables_old_and_new.JPG

http://psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/shudder.gif

Emetophobia warning!
http://psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/sickpup.gif

Darkthoughts
09-20-2008, 03:25 AM
I don't like Hershey's full stop! Compared to Cadbury's it sucks...big time! We call that type of chocolate dog chocolate over here :lol: Meaning synthetic stuff that doesn't contain any cocoa (like dog treats, hence the name).

Jean
09-20-2008, 04:04 AM
I don't really like either

Woofer
09-20-2008, 05:47 AM
I don't like Hershey's full stop! Compared to Cadbury's it sucks...big time! We call that type of chocolate dog chocolate over here :lol: Meaning synthetic stuff that doesn't contain any cocoa (like dog treats, hence the name).

Yeah, I know. I have known a lot of people from overseas, and Mr. Woofer spent several years of his youth overseas. I don't care for all Hershey's, but it is readily available and, as a rule, quite affordable. I live in the arm pit of the south. We JUST got a World Market (store), but it's about 30 miles from me. We do have some Cadbury's and other chocolate at my local groceries, but the selections are very limited and usually quite a bit more expensive than just a bag of Reese's cups.

Heather19
09-20-2008, 09:37 AM
I never really eat Hershey's either, unless someone gets it for me, then of course I can't pass it up. But I agree it really isn't as good as other chocolates.
Lindt is hands down my favorite. They make the best truffles.

Daghain
09-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Hershey's has really gone to hell since I was a kid. It's had some weird waxy taste to it for years now.

Belgian chocolates, however...oh yeah. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

cozener
09-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Not a fan of Hershey either. I like their Symphony sub-brand though. Why can't they just make that their regular chocolate?

Hmmm...now I have a taste for a Cadbury Egg...

fernandito
09-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Reeses peanut butter cups is the shiznit, that's allzz I'm saying.

Jackie
09-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Ewww wtf, i never tried the non-milk chocolate but why in the name of Gan would they change it?!?

Girlystevedave
09-20-2008, 06:25 PM
If they mess with the chocolate in Reeses PB cups...Girlystevedave will go on a rampage. :shoot:
And for the record: I like Hershey's chocolate more than the other chocolates I've eaten. It's definitely better than that crap that Nestle uses. The only thing Nestle is good for is powdered chocolate milk and Butterfinger. :)

Jackie
09-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Want to know an interesting fact about Hersheys chocolate and why it tastes so different from all other chocolate?

Warning thought, might make you double think about eating it, though it doesn't seem to bother me.

When they make the chocolate the process they use makes the milk go sour

I learned it on Foodnetwork, Unwrapped.

Girlystevedave
09-20-2008, 08:09 PM
I don't know if anything could make me give up Reeses cups. :lol:

Reverend Brimmstone
09-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Tell 'em SteveDave!

Brice
09-21-2008, 12:44 AM

I'll happily help if you need to go on that rampage. :lol:

fernandito
09-21-2008, 05:17 AM
The only Hersheys bar I don't think twice about wolfing down -

http://candybarlab.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/hersheyscc_wr.jpg

:drool: :drool: :drool:

LadyHitchhiker
09-21-2008, 05:32 AM
Oh well this is the wrong thread for me because I love all forms of hershey...

Girlystevedave
09-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Tell 'em SteveDave!

:rofl:
I will!

I'll happily help if you need to go on that rampage. :lol:

:couple:
Noted :evil:

http://candybarlab.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/hersheyscc_wr.jpg

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Oh yeah...that one too. :drool:
Then again...I'm not known to turn down any Hershey's products. I'm a Hershey whore. :lol:

Jackie
09-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by feverishparade

Oh yeah...that one too.
Then again...I'm not known to turn down any Hershey's products. I'm a Hershey whore.

MmMmmmm

Haha i like that term, I'm a hershey whore too :lol:

Danm After this thread I'm so going to end up buying a millon dollars worth of hersheys chocolate :drool:

Girlystevedave
09-21-2008, 07:35 PM
I know....I'm craving it bad now. :lol:

Wuducynn
09-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Cadbury and Godiva is where it's at as far as chocolate goes.

Jackie
09-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Godiva YESSSS!!!! :drool::drool::drool::drool:

Ves'Ka Gan
09-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Godiva is good, but I've been almoat ruined for it by having Nuehaus a few times. Much more expensive though :(

But to calrify something--did anyone else seem to get the idea that the new stuff is no only cheaper, and not as tasty--but also has less health benefits? Seriously--I'd rather they raise the prices. I am a Cadbury type person myself but living in the US, you can't just pop into the convienence store and grab it...

cozener
09-22-2008, 08:52 AM
Yesterday I picked up a Cadbury bar with soft English toffee and took a bite.

I came.

Daghain
09-22-2008, 09:24 AM
:lol:

Wuducynn
09-22-2008, 10:18 AM

I came.

Damn dude. Seriously..Cadbury and Godiva is what chocolate IS.

Rjeso
09-22-2008, 11:38 AM
I despise domestic chocolate. For a long time, I thought I didn't like chocolate at all. Then I found out I'm just super-picky about it, hee.

Odetta
09-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Hershey's chocolate is pretty revolting! Unless you enjoy the taste of wax!

Girlystevedave
09-22-2008, 01:17 PM

I came.

Wow! I have never enjoyed any candy this much. :lol:

*[makes mental note]

Woofer
09-22-2008, 05:12 PM

I came.

Wow! I have never enjoyed any candy this much. :lol:

*[makes mental note]

I have.

Ves'Ka Gan
09-24-2008, 07:35 AM
English chocolate (i.e. Cadbury & others) has a pretty intense effect on me. I had my beau bring home as much as he could carry after visiing his family in the UK and it didn't last a week.

My mouth is watering now.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....Dairy Milks..................:drool:

Jean
09-24-2008, 08:05 AM
I have inquired, and found that it was illegal to send food products to the USA. If that rule could be somehow... you know... bent, - I would love to send my dear friends here some real chocolate.

Ves'Ka Gan
09-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Alas, I will have to suffer with what little decent American chocolate I can find, and hope we have the money to spend Christmas in London this year...:cry:

What is different about Russian chocolate, Jean?

Jean
09-24-2008, 08:41 AM
it is Good. I don't know why, I am not a very big fan of chocolate. The fact is, all my friends who live abroad always take away tons of chocolate when they come here, and make me bring tons of chocolate to them when I go there; where "there" is doesn't matter (all over Europe). Note that I am not speaking about only those of my friends who are Russian by birth. Everyone who has ever tasted our chocolate - dark (up to 99% cocoa) or milk, plain or flavored (cognac, champagne, almonds, rum, orange.........), filled (raisins, orange peel, almonds, hazelnuts, coffee chips, cranberries..........) or not, asks for more and MORE and MORE.

Ves'Ka Gan
09-24-2008, 08:42 AM
I must add Russian chocolate to my list of things to eat before I leave this world, then!

Jean
09-24-2008, 08:43 AM
absolutely. I will try to find a way to smuggle you some.

Brice
09-24-2008, 08:49 AM
I have recieved chocolate and other goodies from overseas a few times from one of our dear friends here. I don't believe I've ever tried or even seen Russian chocolate here though.

Jean, almost all rules can be bent. :D

theBeamisHome
09-24-2008, 08:50 AM
i'm not really a fan of chocolate either, but i think i'm like Rjeso and just very picky because those Lindt truffles are divine! i can wolf down that cookies and creme hershey bar too... but that doesn't count because white chocolate isn't really chocolate at all.

Wuducynn
09-24-2008, 08:54 AM
absolutely. I will try to find a way to smuggle you some.

Add me to this list please. :harrier:

Odetta
09-24-2008, 11:29 AM
We have a guy who moved here from Belgium who is a chocolatier, and we only buy chocolate from him. His company is Bernard Callebaut and it is truly amazing.

Rjeso
09-24-2008, 11:36 AM
i'm not really a fan of chocolate either, but i think i'm like Rjeso and just very picky because those Lindt truffles are divine! i can wolf down that cookies and creme hershey bar too... but that doesn't count because white chocolate isn't really chocolate at all.

Exactly. Same here on the Cookies & Cream bar, too. I love any white chocolate, even stuff that's generally pretty crappy, haha.

Lindt is wonderful, but I still like to go to the stores where I can get Frey or Milka.

Frey makes an amazing white chocolate that has very tart lemon and lime flavor granules in it, interspersed with black pepper flakes to give it a zest-y flavor. They also make a blood orange & cinnamon white chocolate. OMGyum.

cozener
09-29-2008, 09:16 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080929/ap_on_re_as/as_cadbury_chocolate_recall

Daghain
09-29-2008, 09:35 AM
WTH is it with those people and melamine?

Ves'Ka Gan
09-29-2008, 10:14 AM
I think it is part of some grand Chinese conspiracy to kill us with lead paint in our children's toys and melamine in our chocolate. :scared:

Daghain
09-29-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm really starting to wonder. :panic:

The Lady of Shadows
09-30-2008, 09:42 PM
i love chocolate. i know that comes as a total shock to you all so once you sufficiently recover i will continue.

::whistles whilst waiting::

recovered? good.

now then. godiva is so amazingly awesome i can't even go to the mall anymore because it draws me in like a magnet. seriously, it does. i don't mean to go to the godiva store. i just sort of end up there. magically. it's weird. . . . :orely:

it's so expensive though. but good gan it's worth it. the milk chocolate truffles are the best. and the chocolate covered marshmallows. :drool:

i am a huge fan of reese's cups. especially the miniatures. then you can eat more and not feel so bad about it. :P

i like special dark (that's hershey's i know).

dove chocolate rock. especially the dove promises (those little ones with things written on the wrappers). milk or dark, doesn't matter. love them.

i despise white chocolate. what's the fucking point of white chocolate? in fact, i hate any colored chocolate. it would be like letting someone else rewrite the dark tower series. why fuck with perfection? why? :panic:

okay. that's my chocolate rant for now. but i'll return with more later. and ves, you should bring me some english chocolates if you go there for the holidays. :drool:

:)

Woofer
10-01-2008, 03:51 AM
i love chocolate. i know that comes as a total shock to you all so once you sufficiently recover i will continue.

::whistles whilst waiting::

recovered? good.

now then. godiva is so amazingly awesome i can't even go to the mall anymore because it draws me in like a magnet. seriously, it does. i don't mean to go to the godiva store. i just sort of end up there. magically. it's weird. . . . :orely:

it's so expensive though. but good gan it's worth it. the milk chocolate truffles are the best. and the chocolate covered marshmallows. :drool:

Hehehe. There's not a Godiva store in our mall, thank DOYC.

i am a huge fan of reese's cups. especially the
miniatures. then you can eat more and not feel so bad about it. :P

I have considered the issue of Why Mini Reese's Cups Taste Better Than Their Larger Brothers. My conclusion is the higher chocolate-to-peanut butter ratio. They're evil! I love them.

i like special dark (that's hershey's i know).

Yeah. Special dark is excellent with a small glass of ice cold milk.

dove chocolate rock. especially the dove promises (those little ones with things written on the wrappers). milk or dark, doesn't matter. love them.

Mmm. Dove.

i despise white chocolate. what's the fucking point of white chocolate? in fact, i hate any colored chocolate. it would be like letting someone else rewrite the dark tower series. why fuck with perfection? why? :panic:

White chocolate is an abomination - at least for chocolate. It might be fine if it wasn't calling itself chocolate. I don't know. I've only had it on pretzels in the last 15 years.

okay. that's my chocolate rant for now. but i'll return with more later. and ves, you should bring me some english chocolates if you go there for the holidays. :drool:

Hey, if you're bringing them back for people... http://psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/whistle.gif

turtlesong, do you have Chocolate: The Consuming Passion?

http://www.fluffbuff.com/images/food/chocolate/consuming_passion/cover.jpg

Odetta
10-01-2008, 06:28 AM
why do they even call white chocolate chocolate?

Jean
10-01-2008, 06:38 AM
I don't see why it, either. I understand chocolate (see my hymn to Russian chocolate somewhere above), but I don't like it - but I love, absolutely adore that white, pink, yellow, and pistachio-colored stuff everyone here despises.

Brice
10-01-2008, 06:42 AM
I love it too...whether it's actually chocolate or not. It's delicious.

alinda
10-01-2008, 06:48 AM
:drool:I am having trouble speaking after reading this thread! :drool:

Jean
10-01-2008, 07:01 AM
wait a second, I am going to make it worse. Two Norwich pictures coming.

EDITED: Voila -

The real Bear's Paradise, taken in Norwich (Royal Arcade) last summer:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/601/medium/IMG_2030.JPG

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/601/medium/IMG_2031.JPG

alinda
10-01-2008, 07:05 AM
:clap:Glad your feeling better...I am too now thanks! :drool:

Wuducynn
10-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Hehehe. There's not a Godiva store in our mall, thank DOYC.

There is one in the mall near my house that has a fountain of chocolate. I could just stare at it for hours.

Jean
10-01-2008, 10:31 AM
I have only once seen one, in Camden Lock last summer.

alinda
10-01-2008, 10:34 AM
I am jealous of the woman behind the counter above, for she has seen Jeans face.:wtf:

Ves'Ka Gan
10-01-2008, 01:24 PM

Hey, if you're bringing them back for people... http://psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/whistle.gif

turtlesong, do you have Chocolate: The Consuming Passion (http://www.amazon.com/Chocolate-Consuming-Passion-Sandra-Boynton/dp/0894801996)?

http://www.fluffbuff.com/images/food/chocolate/consuming_passion/cover.jpg

Still no real idea if we will go back to London for Christmas--but my beau may be going back in early November (family stuff :( ) If he goes & I can't (which if he goes then, I surely won't be able to!!) then believe you me--he will be bringing back at least a suitcase full--which I may allow my arm to be twisted into sharing :couple:

And Woofer!! I looooove Sandra Boyton! Instead ofa card, I got my boyfriend a Sandra Boyton baord book for our anniversary!

Woofer
10-01-2008, 06:36 PM
She is awesome.
Written, Illustrated, and Overly Researched by Sandra Boynton That is classic!

jayson
10-01-2008, 06:46 PM
Way back in the long long ago of 1995, my wife (who was still my girlfriend at that point) worked in a Godiva store. She used to bring home free goodies every night. I wish she still worked there. :drool:

Jean
10-01-2008, 10:06 PM
I am jealous of the woman behind the counter above, for she has seen Jeans face.:wtf:
no, she hasn't - if you look again you'll see that she has no head

Wuducynn
10-02-2008, 06:52 AM
no, she hasn't - if you look again you'll see that she has no head

She did see Jean, he just was forced to behead her. I'm surprised you never heard about it, it was all over the news. "Russian madman beheads candy shop worker for looking at him."

Odetta
10-02-2008, 06:55 AM
:lol:

The Lady of Shadows
10-04-2008, 06:09 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

chocolate.

i hadn't seen the chocolate book. now i must own it.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

chocolate.

LadyHitchhiker
10-14-2008, 04:32 PM
I thought Hershey's was the best.

I was wrong *weeps*

I just tried Lindor's chocolate truffles and I fell in love with life and food again...