PDA

View Full Version : Chrono Trigger inspired by It?

Adumbros
09-18-2008, 05:28 AM
I just got done with It, and was thinking about the video game Chrono Trigger simultaneously; thus thinking, I started noticing some rather odd coincidences between the two. Keep in mind, of course, that It is roughly a decade older.

In It, there is a scene where Richie "Trashmouth" Tozier and Mike Hanlon witness, via a Native American ritual, the arrival of It to Derry; It shoots down from the heavens in a flaming ball of fire and burrows deep beneath Derry, to the point that, during The Ritual of Chud, they must tunnel deep beneath the earth's surface to confront It in Its original form.

In Chrono Trigger, a scene in 65,000,000 B.C. shows Lavos arriving to earth via the form of what is seemingly a gigantic flaming meteor, burrowing deep into the earth; during the game's climax, the PCs must burrow deep within Lavos' shell beneath the earth's surface to combat it in its true form.

In It, seven children band together through remarkable circumstances to combat It and Its agents.

In Chrono Trigger, albeit many from different times in history, a robot, a mage, a knight, and four children (a cast of seven) align against the atavistic evil which is Lavos.

In It, due to Its cunning and the overconfidence of the children,the original cast fails to kill It and must return several years later, albeit slightly altered from their original makeup, to kill It.

In Chrono Cross, the much-hyped sequel, it is shown that, due to Lavos' cunning and the cast of CT's lack of foresight, Lavos is not dead, and thus, a new cast of characters must battle through many obstacles, including the original Chrono cast's memories, to confront Lavos anew.

In It, It is capable of adopting any form to suit the fears of its intended prey.

In Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross, Lavos repeatedly morphs and uses false imagery to hide his true nature.

In It, the residents of Derry have an unnerving tendency to ignore It, allowing It to do as It pleases with little to no fanfare.

In Chrono Trigger, it is shown that Lavos is both ignored by some and exalted by others.

In It, It is shown to be capable of possessing the bodies and influencing the minds of those It wishes to use as instruments against Its oppressors.

In Chrono Cross, Lavos consumes the mortal form, and mind, of the lead protagonist Serge's father.

And these are but a few of the "coincidences" I've noticed. I'd like to know if anyone can expound upon that which I have exposed, and what they think. I personally think that, even though it is well-crafted, and, therefore, neither apparent or blatant, the Chrono series expertly mirrors the greatest of King's novels.

Brice
09-18-2008, 06:21 AM
Very interesting! I'd never thought of it that way.

fernandito
09-18-2008, 06:22 AM
Too bad my copy of Chrono Trigger was destroyed. :cry:

I wonder if I can find a copy, even a battered one, on Amazon...

Adumbros
09-18-2008, 06:27 AM
i bet you can feev. i've found games that stopped being published over a decade ago on Amazon.

you could also go to any GameStop or EB Games outlet and buy the PlayStation version, which has some interesting new additions from the original.

Blaine the Insane Train
09-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Cool. Awesome. Amazing.

razz
09-18-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm currently Romming Chrono trigger (cuz i can't afford to get a real copy). and while i'm stuck at one part, i do see these resemblances.

Blaine the Insane Train
09-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Which part?

Adumbros
09-18-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm currently Romming Chrono trigger (cuz i can't afford to get a real copy). and while i'm stuck at one part, i do see these resemblances.

not boasting, but seriously, i am a walking video game library.

tell me what's your hangup (with details, of course), and i can likely walk you through out with ease. just PM me.

Blaine the Insane Train
09-18-2008, 12:33 PM
I can help too if you need it. I've played CT a ton of times.

Adumbros
09-18-2008, 12:38 PM
:high-fives Max:

the modern generation of gamers isn't yet entirely doomed. :D

Blaine the Insane Train
09-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Yeah! Go 16-bit Gaming!

Adumbros
09-18-2008, 01:13 PM
lmao amen

remind me if we ever meet, to smoke a double-dutch with ya :wink:

razz
09-18-2008, 01:25 PM

not boasting, but seriously, i am a walking video game library.

tell me what's your hangup (with details, of course), and i can likely walk you through out with ease. just PM me.
at that chain mountain place, after you get the time vehicle, you have to rescue the sage or something. i can't get past the boss at the top.

Adumbros
09-18-2008, 01:33 PM
you're fighting Nizbet or whatever it's called, right? i need details. it's been a while since i played.

Adumbros
09-18-2008, 01:34 PM
waitaminnit! i know what your talking about! it's called the Giga Gaia!

Adumbros
09-18-2008, 01:37 PM
use combine techs such as Falcon Hit to take out his hands; they do the most damage, but they only have 2000 HP a pop. 2/3 combat rounds should do it. then, focus an all-out assault on the head before they regenerate; using one character, your weakest one, strictly for the purpose of healing. if one or both arms regenerate, repeat the process of using double-techs to eliminate them,(they'll have fewer HP, only like 1000 or so apiece, after regenerating) then re-focus on the head full-tilt. it should be a breeze, unless your levels are retardedly low.

razz
09-18-2008, 01:47 PM
well i can't right now, but thanks, i'll try it when i get a chance. probably this weekend. any suggested level for it?

Adumbros
09-18-2008, 01:53 PM
at least the mid-30s to low-40s. It does pack a punch.

Adumbros
09-18-2008, 01:54 PM
if you need to level up, the monsters around the mountain provide pretty suck XP if you tackle 'em. watch out, 'cause some of 'em have some nasty tricks. keep status-removing items handy, even if you have to go back to the shops. if you're slick enough, tangle with those rock-things; they yield something like 1000 XP a pop all by themselves.

razz
09-18-2008, 01:54 PM
k, thanks, man.

Adumbros
09-18-2008, 01:57 PM
welcome. also, any video RPG you need help on, turn here. seriously. i am literally a walking library of info on Squaresoft/Square Enix games, as well as many others, such as Zelda, etc. and if i perchance don't know, i can find out within an hour. seriously.

LadyHitchhiker
09-19-2008, 04:50 PM
I dont' know if there's a similiarity but I LOVED CHRONO TRIGGER!!!!!

I always named my ship The Lowell!

Adumbros
09-20-2008, 05:46 AM
I can't remember what i named the thing, honestly. and as badass as CT was, i actually preferred the sequel. not saying it was better, necessarily, but then again with the expanded story and all the other previously unavailable (yet pined-for) perks, well...maybe it was.

Brice
09-20-2008, 10:40 AM
I liked the sequel, but IMO CT was the best RPG ever...even better than the FF games.

Adumbros
09-20-2008, 10:45 AM
you know, i've actually soured on Final Fantasy. The first half dozen were all classics, then VII was pretty damn good with its experimentation, but then we had 8, with great plot but weak gameplay, IX, which had a lot of goodness like the idea of going back to the Crystal but overall was just too damn confusing plotwise (for instance, what the fuck is up with the final boss?), X, which was innovative and interesting of itself, but which was tainted by the very existence of X-2, XI, which i refuse to acknowledge, and finally, XII, which, after years of mundanity, I honestly believe to be the best in the entire series. and i did NOT have high hopes with the drivel Square had been pounding down our throats since the late 90s.

CT was absolutely the shit...and I concur it was the best ever. CC was, at the very least, equal; one of the few times in video game history a DIRECT sequel lived up to its predecessor(s). The only downside is, the wait for 'Chrono Break' has been almost as long as the wait for the third book of the Art. It's kinda pissin me off, 'cause CT3 was released overseas almost 7 years ago, yet we haven't had so much as a preview of it in the States.