PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Parts of Wizard and Glass

SON-OF-WAYNE
06-03-2007, 02:22 PM
My favorite book was Wizard And Glass.
My favorite part was the battle at the end, when Susan breaks Roland, Cuthbert and Alain out of prison, then the shoot at the citgo, was Alain uses the speed shooter to take out Farson's men and blows up a few tankers. Then Roland puts two slugs in Jonas face at close range. Then the rest of Farson's men get trapped in teh canyon and eaten by the thinny... God did I love that book.

sarajean
06-03-2007, 02:26 PM
gah! could you please not type in all caps?

please?

fernandito
06-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Yeah, it's a little tough to read.

SON-OF-WAYNE
06-03-2007, 02:46 PM
Cry your pardon about the all caps, didnt realized it bothered people.

sarajean
06-03-2007, 02:50 PM
that's okay. i don't see how it couldn't. also...that post really belongs in a wizard and glass discussion thread. i don't think there's one just showing love for it yet...only polls. if you'd like to start one, i'd be more than happy to move your post there. :D

love for w&g, or somesuch.

Jean
06-03-2007, 10:31 PM
I have removed the ALL CAPS from that post, only for the sake of readability: it was the starter post of this thread, so it should be readable. (the author is notified; if he'd rather have caps there, I'll get them back)
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

This is a very good idea for a thread. I don't like W&G - it's one of my two least favorite of the series - but there were parts there that I loved. I think they are universally loved, - because they are great. The showdown at the Romp, of course, and the battle at the end... and, of course, the last flashback, the tragic scene the second ka-tet saw in the pink ball, and the talk that followed.

fernandito
06-04-2007, 12:24 PM
One of my favorite parts in W&G is the stand off at the bar between Roland and his Ka-Tet and the Big Coffin Hunters, especially the part where Roland tells Jonas something along the lines of : "Drop the knife, no more talking. Do it or die."

Jean
06-04-2007, 12:30 PM
That's really the top, isn't it? The whole scene, not only since Roland was there. I think it's the absolute best in the book. And this is the part you mean:

"Holster the gun," the voice behind the sharp tip of metal said. It was empty, somehow -- not just calm, but emotionless. "Do it now, or this goes in your heart. No more talk. Talking's done. Do it or die."

sarah
06-04-2007, 12:40 PM
and that they did that scene in the comics makes me so happy. to see it so visual and bright and graphic was amazing.

fernandito
06-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Agreed. The way it was portrayed in the comics is exactly the way I had imagined it while reading through it. I also love the way that Lee drew out Jonas's eyes, he looks like the devil incarnate.

Matt
06-04-2007, 12:47 PM
I loved that scene as well. Jonas knew that the voice behind him was not fucking around.

That's what I always want to see in movies. "Drop it now or die"

pol
06-04-2007, 09:05 PM
One of my favorite parts in W&G is the stand off at the bar between Roland and his Ka-Tet and the Big Coffin Hunters, especially the part where Roland tells Jonas something along the lines of : "Drop the knife, no more talking. Do it or die."

This for me has always been one of the best parts of the book for me as well....Roland, even at quite a young age, is not one to be lightly.

sarah
06-09-2007, 05:10 PM
I just finished a light reread of W&G. I skipped most of the Roland in a flashback and focused on the post blaine and the wizard of oz. I do have to say that the red slippers and the clicking of the heals was pretty funny. At this point in the book, a lot of stuff happened in a short time and I think they were pretty beat. To walk up to five pairs of red shoes made me giggle. Oh stephen king, you crack me up.

also, the "note" that Flagg leaves for them back on the path of the beam with the smiley faces. :lol:

MonteGss
10-10-2007, 07:49 AM
I just listened to the "showdown" between the ka-tet and Big Coffin Hunters in the bar again. I think that really is the best part of an otherwise "too mushy" book. Cuthbert cracks me up. :)

Storyslinger
10-10-2007, 07:51 AM
That was an awesome part, and one of my favorite

fernandito
10-10-2007, 09:11 AM
I just listened to the "showdown" between the ka-tet and Big Coffin Hunters in the bar again. I think that really is the best part of an otherwise "too mushy" book. Cuthbert cracks me up. :)

My favorite part as well. And the standoff that follows is another great part as well.

Storyslinger
10-11-2007, 07:13 AM
Yep

Wuducynn
10-11-2007, 07:19 AM

Whats wrong with mush? The romance between Roland and Susan is awesome and you lick sweaty donkey anus.

MonteGss
10-11-2007, 02:53 PM

Whats wrong with mush? The romance between Roland and Susan is awesome and you lick sweaty donkey anus.

It is not sweaty.

Oh and the mush story was kinda lame. It is a tiny bit better after reading it a half dozen times and listening to it twice. Tiny bit. :)

Letti
10-14-2007, 12:11 PM
I am rereading W&G their love still rocks. For me at least. :wub:
Somehow it's so... innocent and true. Selfish and hot. Great and small.
Okay.
I have stopped. :D

Wuducynn
12-12-2007, 02:54 PM
My favorite part of this book is when Jonas meets O'Dim. Fantastic, creepy suspense.

Letti
12-12-2007, 03:07 PM
My favorite part of this book is when Jonas meets O'Dim. Fantastic, creepy suspense.

Oh yes. And it's so good to see what a bunny Jonas can be. It's good to see him fear.

Wuducynn
12-12-2007, 03:22 PM
Awww so you decided to stop ignoring me Letti! ;) I think most folk when confronted with Walter would be a bunny.. :harrier:

Storyslinger
12-13-2007, 07:37 AM
After reading the comics last night, I retract any sour comments I've made against Susan. She really did care, and it hurt to see he die, her life for Roland. I plan to reread the book, with my new outlook, but am now not looking forward to the death of her. It may be very hard this time.

jayson
12-13-2007, 08:13 AM
I'd have to put in a mention of Susan's rescue of the boys from the pokey. Though she's no gunslinger, she certainly showed a level of courage equal to that of her beloved. Poor Deputy Dave.

Matt
12-13-2007, 09:33 AM
That was great stuff.

I also loved the part where they arrested the boys. I think that moment was very significant in Rolands life

Letti
12-13-2007, 09:49 AM
Awww so you decided to stop ignoring me Letti! ;) I think most folk when confronted with Walter would be a bunny.. :harrier:
When did I ignore you?? Never ever.

And, yes most people would. But there are the ones who wouldn't.

Wuducynn
12-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Like whom? You?

Matt
12-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Roland never had a problem with him

Wuducynn
12-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Yeah but he might have if things had turned out differently with Mordred. Like Mordred and Walter working together to kill Roland and his ka-tet for instance. That would be an interesting scenario..

Matt
12-13-2007, 11:51 AM
Hmmm...too bad one ate the other. :lol:

Wuducynn
12-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Yeah, well not too bad for Mordred...he was very hungry afterall and here comes along this demon who thinks too much of himself and doesn't realize what trouble he is in...lunch on legs!

Storyslinger
12-13-2007, 12:29 PM
When did I ignore you?? Never ever.

And, yes most people would. But there are the ones who wouldn't.

Like whom? You?

Not I, said the fly.
http://www.petafoo.com/files/images/santa-bunny.jpg

Wuducynn
12-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwwww

Letti
12-14-2007, 01:51 AM
Like whom? You?

Oh no, sadly no.
I am a bunny without Walter, too. :rolleyes:

:D

sai delgado
12-16-2007, 11:01 AM
WaG was one of my favourites from the series so I have a lot of favourite bits-one of them being the showdown at the end, also many of the Cuthbert moments like when he firsty introduces the big coffin hunters with his catapult and his "lookout" I also like the beginning of the book were blaine gets owned :lol:

jayson
12-16-2007, 11:21 AM
I also like the beginning of the book were blaine gets owned :lol:

After waiting so long for W&G to come out, I was glad to finally see Blaine get his come-uppance.

stone, rose, unfound door
12-30-2007, 04:54 PM
my favourite part is when Cuthbert enters the saloon and makes a show off. I thought that was really awesome, plus I had liked him since book 1 and wanted to see more of Roland's first ka-tet.

Matt
01-02-2008, 12:37 PM
I totally agree, that scene was really the first time that I understood the Gunslingers (as a whole) were seriously not to be screwed with.

Their kids are as hard as it gets.

jayson
01-02-2008, 12:41 PM
I totally agree, that scene was really the first time that I understood the Gunslingers (as a whole) were seriously not to be screwed with.

Their kids are as hard as it gets.

Exactly, if this is what 14 year old Gunslingers are like, I'd hate to have messed with Stephen Deschain and his tet.:shoot:

DinoMay
01-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Cuthbert's probably my favorite character of the whole series and as far as I'm concerned there wasn't nearly enough of him. Regardless, many of his scenes are among my favorites. The first showdown between the boys and the Coffin Hunters is obviously classic. They were all so chillingly cool and confident. I also really enjoyed when Cuthbert punched Roland in the face. I have never been a big fan of Susan and Cuthbert was right about Roland's careless behavior with her. Even gunslingers need a punch in the face sometimes.

obscurejude
01-30-2008, 11:02 PM
My favorite part was the showdown at the end. The passage when Jonas describes Roland as the best he's ever seen was very powerful. Also the imagery of the forgotten Citgo pumps adjacent to this rural Mexican like barony are haunting to me. Their juxtaposition sounds a loud warning in regards to the dangers of industrialization. I really empathized with Susan's "spooky" feelings. Its so easy for me to visualize them in my head.

Also, I'm now a goldmember thanks to the awesomeness of Hannah.

CyberGhostface
01-31-2008, 01:44 PM
I like the second half of the Mejis storyline. Lots of great moments, particularly with Rhea's detoriation and the climax.

Girlystevedave
02-21-2008, 04:17 PM
My favorite part has to be the stand-off at the bar. It made me realize how smooth the "Little Coffin Hunters" were. So badass.
And although I'm not a sappy- romantic, the first "real" kiss between Roland and Susan still knots my stomach. It was the sexiest kiss ever put on paper.

Matt
02-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Those are high on the list for me too girly--I think there is a thread around here about "their love" and I believe a kiss like that makes it true.

Letti
02-22-2008, 12:12 AM
There is only one thing I don't like in WaG and that's the kiss. I don't really know why. The blood was too much for me. I have read it 3 times and I always hope that it won't seem to be so unreal to me anymore but it does.

Anyway.
I love the part very Shemmie descovers how good it is to use dirty words and he repeats them again and again. He is so... lovable.

Girlystevedave
02-22-2008, 05:49 AM
There is only one thing I don't like in WaG and that's the kiss. I don't really know why. The blood was too much for me. I have read it 3 times and I always hope that it won't seem to be so unreal to me anymore but it does.

Thats funny, because the blood is what made it "interesting" to me. The fact that their passion was so strong, and neither of them held back at all. They were so caught up in the sweetness of the kiss, that neither of them noticed the pain ( which is so close to love anyway). I'd love to have kisses like this (at least once). :)

Woofer
02-22-2008, 05:52 AM
All parts with Cuthbert.
All parts without Susan.

Jean
02-22-2008, 06:55 AM
3. and without Rhea.

jayson
02-22-2008, 07:03 AM
3. and without Rhea.

i loved to hate Rhea. i thought she was the best villain in the series save only RF

Woofer
02-22-2008, 07:10 PM
Rhea is ... not as bad as the "love story" - and I wanted to like it. I want to love Roland's love because I love Roland. {John Belushi voice} But nooooooooo. It had to be plodding, heavy-handed, and smarmy. {/John Belushi voice} Rhea I can stand in small does though the extended parts with her could be tedious.

Ooo, other parts I liked were the ones with Eldred Jonas. It was cool to see what became of at least one failed gunslinger.

Dud-a-chum?
03-01-2008, 03:34 PM
I love ALL of it, but I guess . . . the final showdown in the canyon near the thinny! Nothing like Farson's forces vs. Roland, Alain and Cuthbert.

jhanic
03-04-2008, 08:39 AM
My favorite part was the incident at the Traveler's Rest with the Big Coffin Hunters, by far. You just KNEW what was going to happen!

John

dante
03-25-2008, 05:26 AM
I've just finished this book, and am waiting for Wolves to be delivered tomorrow from Amazon.

My head's still a little spinny from finishing this one, given it's such an epic telling of young Roland and his life before his quest for the Tower.

My favourite parts, just off the top of my head, are probably right near the end when the new Ka-tet look into the glass and see Roland kill Gabrielle, and when they realise they're in a version of Kansas and read about Captain Trips in the newspaper.

I love how King crosses his stories over, in fact it's one of the things I love most about reading his work. I like that moment of 'Ah! I remember him/her/that' when a character or event from one story crops up in another.

Wuducynn
03-25-2008, 07:50 AM
I've just finished this book, and am waiting for Wolves to be delivered tomorrow from Amazon.

My head's still a little spinny from finishing this one, given it's such an epic telling of young Roland and his life before his quest for the Tower.

My favourite parts, just off the top of my head, are probably right near the end when the new Ka-tet look into the glass and see Roland kill Gabrielle, and when they realise they're in a version of Kansas and read about Captain Trips in the newspaper.

I love how King crosses his stories over, in fact it's one of the things I love most about reading his work. I like that moment of 'Ah! I remember him/her/that' when a character or event from one story crops up in another.

Great choices.. :harrier: and ohhhhhhhhh if your head is spinning now...just wait! :rock:

John_and_Yoko
04-03-2008, 12:48 PM
I don't know what's wrong with me, but my favorite part of the book was the very end, with all the Oz connections....

That and the connections with The Stand at the beginning....

Speaking of, I notice there's no Connections article for Wizard and Glass.

Why is this, exactly...? Is it just to avoid repeating oneself in the article for The Stand, or what is it? (I noticed there were none for ANY Dark Tower books....)

MonteGss
04-03-2008, 02:50 PM
Because the Tower Connections page is to state how books not in the series are "connected" to the seven DT books. So, I believe, those seven are only listed on the page. After all, of course DT4 is connected to the DT series...:D

Wuducynn
04-03-2008, 03:24 PM
:rolleyes:

John_and_Yoko
04-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Because the Tower Connections page is to state how books not in the series are "connected" to the seven DT books. So, I believe, those seven are only listed on the page. After all, of course DT4 is connected to the DT series...:D

Okay, I'll buy that.

But answer me this: if that's the case, why are there links for the Dark Tower books at all?

MonteGss
04-03-2008, 05:01 PM
You'll have to ask management about that. I just know the obvious things....that the books in the series are clearly connected to the series. :rolleyes:

John_and_Yoko
04-03-2008, 05:02 PM
You'll have to ask management about that. I just know the obvious things....that the books in the series are clearly connected to the series. :rolleyes:

Well, duh.... :rolleyes:

If you can't even figure that out, then what the heck are you doing here...?

MonteGss
04-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Ok then. Back to our regularly scheduled discussions....the ones that actually matter...

Letti
04-04-2008, 12:04 AM
I loved the part where Shemmie was cursing at his donkey. It was so funny to see how that innocent guy realised how good it could be to use nasty words.

LadyHitchhiker
04-04-2008, 11:52 AM
Favorite part is when they find the newspaper from 1999.

Wuducynn
04-04-2008, 12:02 PM
Favorite part is when they find the newspaper from 1999.

One of my favorite parts also. It gives me chills everytime I read it.

jonnyp76
04-22-2008, 01:12 AM
closin the year 1 is my favourite part of wizard and glass . its just pure genius . im readig it 2nd time around trouble is when i get to the end im gonna wanna finish the rest.
stevo u the man

Matt
04-22-2008, 06:24 AM
Hey johnnyp--welcome to the site.

I agree, that is an amazing part.

Brainslinger
04-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Was the newspaper from 1999? I thought it was from the 1980s (but I might be wrong. It would make sense since the events of the Stand happened in 1999 (at least the abridged version did) but the fact it was 1980s made me think this is actually a different world to Stand world, albeit one where similar things happen, including the characters. A world of the same events but in a different time-frame as it were.

This also led me to believe, maybe the version of Flagg was different, which would explain the apparent disparity between Flagg's history in The Stand and the Dark Tower counterpart

... but that's off topic.

Anyway, I agree the newspaper, and indeed the whole Superflu world segment was great. I also loved that little cameo when Walter freaks out Jonas. Great stuff.

There are a lot of other parts I like too, but those'll do for now.

Wuducynn
04-23-2008, 06:20 PM
The newspaper was from 1986 and the Superflu outbreak in the original version of The Stand took place in either 1979 or 1980 and the one in the unedited version took place in 1990. All different levels of the Tower...

The Walter cameo :harrier: My favorite.

MonteGss
04-23-2008, 06:26 PM
The Walter cameo :harrier: My favorite.

:unsure:
?

Wuducynn
04-23-2008, 06:27 PM
??

Forgot your tampon?

MonteGss
04-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Were you referring to a Walter cameo in The Stand?

Wuducynn
04-23-2008, 06:29 PM
No, the Walter cameo in Wizard and Glass.

MonteGss
04-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Ok. That makes a little more sense.

Indigo_Seven
05-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Some are: Roland's stand against Blaine,

The aftermath of Roland's story when Eddie and Susannah speak about Susan's death,

"There he is, Fran Lengyll, head of the Horseman's Association, as low a sneak as ever walked! Low as Coyote sh_t!",

Roland daring Jonas to shoot him, and effectively beating him before any firefight begins,

Roland defending his decision to fight Cort to his Father,

And probably my favourite, for pure simplicity:

"You've forgotten the face of your father, you scurrying little maggot"

Oh, and I love the fake newspaper, too. Flagg is hilarious.

Brainslinger
06-01-2008, 02:22 PM
No, the Walter cameo in Wizard and Glass.

'Put the beanshooter away,' the man in black said. 'We're friends here, I tell you - absolutely palsy-walsy. We'll break bread and speak of many things - oxen and oil tankers and whether or not Fran Sinatra really was a better crooner than Der Bingle.' Wizard and Glass Chapter IV part 13

Hyuk hyuk!

razz
06-01-2008, 02:31 PM
CHARYOU TREE!

BillyxRansom
06-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Rhea is ... not as bad as the "love story" - and I wanted to like it. I want to love Roland's love because I love Roland. {John Belushi voice} But nooooooooo. It had to be plodding, heavy-handed, and smarmy. {/John Belushi voice} Rhea I can stand in small does though the extended parts with her could be tedious.

Ooo, other parts I liked were the ones with Eldred Jonas. It was cool to see what became of at least one failed gunslinger.

So... so you're basically saying you didn't like this book. Hahah, because to my understanding, that was kind of the whole story of the back story of Roland's trials and tribulations as a gunslinger.

I mean the ball, the "glass" was half the point, if I took it right. I mean no offense by this, but this post kind of made me scratch my head. Okay so there obviously was the story of Jonas and all that, but to say that Rhea's story is "not as bad as the love story".. Basically, just say you didn't like W&G.

I could go one further and say someone who thinks that, doesn't quite like the story of the Dark Tower, but... nah.

This is ALL just my perspective, don't take this as a cut down or an insult to your intelligence. It's just, that's a very integral part of the story, and in fact the essence and reason for Roland being as he is.

But just in case,

:rose: Peace?

The Lady of Shadows
06-21-2008, 08:43 PM
since my entire perspective has changed with this reread i think i'll just post me a little post here.

some fav parts:

*the first tet's confrontation with jonas' tet in the traveller's rest
*all the wizard of oz parts
*"Oh, Christ. I left the world I knew to watch a kid try to put booties on a fucked-up weasel. Shoot me, Roland, before I breed."
*travelling in the pink one, by which i mean the grapefruit
*killing that motherfucker blaine

Letti
06-21-2008, 11:04 PM
Oh, so there are people out there who like the Oz part. It's good to know it.

mate211
12-30-2008, 07:17 AM
When Roland's ka-tet saved Sheemi.Awsome part:cowboy:
The book:
http://sk.fps-hq.hu/pics/books/dt4.jpg

Whitey Appleseed
01-06-2009, 07:09 PM
since I just read it, I like the part when they get back on the beam and there's Susan's new and improved wheelchair...."there was mud on the tires"...Papa may have won the Nobel and I enjoyed what he wrote, but it's amazing how easy he is to parody....I liked the whole concept of the thinny...everything about the pink...cool...didn't know what to make of Jake's old lady's name, now Megan...Julie in The Drawing of the Three...there's something about one of the buildings at Citgo that calls to mind It...I like the image of Rhea as a "walking skeleton"...check out Frost's poem, "The Witch of Coos" when you get a chance...the Citgo building...h'mmm...where was Roland's and Susan's child conceived?....read somewhere that folk think/thought Sheemie is a black man...but somehow his "face had gone an alarming shade of red"...maybe when Susan kissed him...go figure...and does she meet Walter in the streets of Mejis before she springs the three amigos?...something about a "dim figure"...but dunno, maybe one ought not to embark on a career of writing erotic westerns, given the reaction by some...yeah, "shoot me, before I breed"...a hoot.

taniatank1
06-12-2009, 02:59 PM
I'm a third of the way through the Wizard and Glass and I'm loving getting to know more about Roland's past and his friends Cuthbert & Alain. I know that at some point Cuthbert and Alain will both die - but I hope it isn't in this book, I really like their characters and will be sad to see them go. Can't wait for the end battle which is being built up to now - in fact taking my book and my self for a long bath to finish it.

<ô> bango skank <ô>
06-12-2009, 06:56 PM
when Cuthbert lays one on Roland. hell yeah

jackiejdajda
06-20-2009, 05:25 AM
I am new to the site..

The first time I went through The Dark Tower series I sort of skipped this book.. (Wizard and Glass)

I read the important parts but that was it.. I seem to remember Stephen King writing or saying somewhere that he did not think he was good at writing romance.. and this gave me an excuse to just sort of move on.. and get to the next book..

Now I have the whole series on audio and on my mp3 player and I am listening to all of it..

The visuals are wonderful.

Jackie

ola
06-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Right now, some of my favorite moments are the ones where Cuthbert or Alain do something unexpectedly funny/endearing, like Alain's triumphant "Hurrah!" and Cuthbert mimicking the Nordite's accent at him. I like the fact that they're still dorky kids somewhere under the gunslinger part - kids, that is, that can then go on to and fight an awesome battle with the odds against them (also one of the best parts of the book: any of the three's various 'encounters' with Eldred + the others! Especially the last one. :shoot:)

jackiejdajda
06-21-2009, 07:14 AM
While listening to the book yesterday I was determined to get into the story and have done so. This thread is helping me.

When Stephen King ended The Waste Lands I was so disappointed that he ended it like he did..

I am thinking I read it before he had written Wizard and Glass (1997) and I wanted so very badly to get on with the journey.. and when the book finally came out it was a side trip to me in my thinking..

Now that I have the whole series together I am going to slow down..

The Stand.. I always loved The Stand.. I read it a long time ago and have never forgotten it.. It was first published in 1978.. I see in Wikipedia that this book is very much a part of the whole story..

Jackie

ola
06-21-2009, 09:40 AM
I am thinking I read it before he had written Wizard and Glass (1997) and I wanted so very badly to get on with the journey.. and when the book finally came out it was a side trip to me in my thinking..

It's funny because the first time I read it, when it turned into a flashback I was disappointed. I really wanted the quest toward the Tower to continue. But then the book started to get really good, and then I was disappointed that there wasn't more flashback!

I think that at first it's pretty hard to break away from the main DT storyline...plus it has the mushy romance factor which is a possible turn-off I guess.

Now I have the whole series on audio and on my mp3 player and I am listening to all of it..

Yes, listening to the audiobook w/ my bf (new to the series) was a treat, the narrator is perfect for the mood.

Dan-Tete
03-31-2010, 12:20 AM
My favourite part of the book is when Roland is watching Susan in the glam. The way King describes Roland's animalistic roaring - "Not even the word 'no'" I can't imagine the pain and horror he must be feeling, espeically with the glam draining him, feeding off those feelings.

I almost wish Cuthbert had shot the blasted thing. Although I did like it when Alain went to stamp on it, and Cuthbert said there's been too much death and sorrow to just destroy it.

Dan-Tete
03-31-2010, 12:26 AM
I am new to the site..

The first time I went through The Dark Tower series I sort of skipped this book.. (Wizard and Glass)

I read the important parts but that was it.. I seem to remember Stephen King writing or saying somewhere that he did not think he was good at writing romance.. and this gave me an excuse to just sort of move on.. and get to the next book..

Jackie

I'd love to get the audio series. Are tehy read by a celebrity or just a normal person?

Dan-Tete
03-31-2010, 12:32 AM
[quote]I think that at first it's pretty hard to break away from the main DT storyline...plus it has the mushy romance factor which is a possible turn-off I guess.

I think that the fact that it's hard to break away from the main storyline makes it all more amazing that a whole book is dedicated to Roland's past, and you can't deny, it's something that's needed in order to understand why Roland always seems so... tired. Not just physically, but emotionally as well. After losing his one true love, at the age of fourteen... you can understand how that could turn anyone into Roland.

Dan-Tete
02-06-2011, 04:32 PM
My favourite part of this book was the way King describes Roland seeing Susan burn through the Wizard glass. The amount of pain and heartache I felt from that small paragraph was overwhelming, and I'm not ashamed to say it brought a tear to my eye.

There was no word, not even no, in his screams at the end: he howled like a gutted animal, his hands welded to the ball, which beat like a runaway heart. He watched in it as she burned.

That is, above all, my favourite paragraph in the entire book.

Roland of Gilead 33
02-16-2011, 09:10 PM
one of my favorite parts is when Cuthbert socks Roland a good left to get him back to his senses.

rolandesch
12-24-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm shocked. No one in 4 pages has mentioned the extremely cunning box canyon-thinny trap at the end of the flashback's final conflict. I felt so terrified when I read that Roland turned to see Alain and Cuthbert hand-in-hand facing the thinny and walking towards it. I can't imagine what was going through their minds.

Next thing you know, Cuthbert's narrowly avoided being disintegrated, as the end of his boot is gone completely. Soon enough Farson's men rush into the canyon only to be taken in by the green misty swampish thinny, as it grows arms and drags them in. I almost feel bad for the horses, seeing as they are the first ones to be consumed by the thinny.

At the end, the men in the canyon resignedly walk into the thinny "willingly"...

Terrifying scene; one I would love to see in a movie one day.

I still have no clue what the thinny truly was.

Merlin1958
12-24-2011, 06:16 PM
I'm shocked. No one in 4 pages has mentioned the extremely cunning box canyon-thinny trap at the end of the flashback's final conflict. I felt so terrified when I read that Roland turned to see Alain and Cuthbert hand-in-hand facing the thinny and walking towards it. I can't imagine what was going through their minds.

Next thing you know, Cuthbert's narrowly avoided being disintegrated, as the end of his boot is gone completely. Soon enough Farson's men rush into the canyon only to be taken in by the green misty swampish thinny, as it grows arms and drags them in. I almost feel bad for the horses, seeing as they are the first ones to be consumed by the thinny.

At the end, the men in the canyon resignedly walk into the thinny "willingly"...

Terrifying scene; one I would love to see in a movie one day.

I still have no clue what the thinny truly was.

Good Point!!!!!

Jean
12-25-2011, 01:03 AM
I'm shocked. No one in 4 pages has mentioned the extremely cunning box canyon-thinny trap at the end of the flashback's final conflict. LOL, now I am shocked too! I hope nobody mentioned it only because it goes without saying

Storyslinger
12-25-2011, 10:56 PM
I'm shocked. No one in 4 pages has mentioned the extremely cunning box canyon-thinny trap at the end of the flashback's final conflict. LOL, now I am shocked too! I hope nobody mentioned it only because it goes without saying

Equally shocked. May not have been my favorite, but I'd certainty is in the top 5.

noal
01-17-2012, 11:09 AM
Cuthbert.:D

rico567
10-21-2014, 03:32 AM
As there is no thread specific to what parts of W&G one might not like, I'm putting mine in this one. A very important book in the series, which makes it all the more perplexing to me why it was written the way it was. The book exists in two parts: what I would call "conclusion of The Waste Lands," and the extended portion with the dialogue in dialect that comes after.
{The problem I will describe hereinafter is mine, and I make no claim that it renders the book invalid in some way.}
The issue is that I just can't stand extended dialogue / dialect writing as King engages in. I'm not saying that it's in some way literarily bad, or that King does it badly. It simply interferes with my suspension of disbelief, if you will, that trick of the mind that enables us to immerse ourselves in fiction. And that's all there is to it.
My re-reading of W&G therefore consisted of proceeding to the point of Roland's beginning his retrospective, then jumping ahead to the end: the loss of his first ka-tet, and the denouement of the thinny trap. It's not very satisfactory, but it enables me to read the book with some enjoyment.

Ross
04-17-2015, 12:23 PM
After reading through the thread I still cannot decide which part of W&G is my favorite. The showdown at the saloon was great obviously and was the first time we got to see the young gunslingers show what they were made of. Beyond that, I think one of my favorite parts is towards the end when Jonas captures Susan at the shack while she is waiting for Roland and the others to return. There is mention before this, but it is at this point where I (the reader) really starts to get a feel for what is about to happen to Susan. My heart started to sink as I was reading the part where Jonas hits her to the ground. Then when Sheemie comes out and decides to follow Susan instead of going to look for Roland it became even more obvious the tragedy that was about to befall the love story of Roland and Susan. W&G is one of my favorite books of all time.

Ross
04-17-2015, 12:28 PM
I also liked this part. It was almost relieving when he punched him. While you have all the confidence in the world in Roland's decision making, you also have to see things from Cuthbert's point of view. After this part I felt like Roland was back on track and back to being a true Gunslinger. It also helped to show that Cuthbert was more than just a wise cracking loud mouth. This part gave him much more sustenance as a character and respect from the reader.

chucknbuck
05-15-2015, 05:27 AM
I do love this book. I think one of the more subtle things that I really enjoy about the book is the manner in which the characters speak to each other in the Mejis story; the language is enchanting. Definitely a top five book all time for me.

Walter O Dim
08-09-2016, 08:23 AM
I loved this one from start to finish. I genuinely don't understand how some people see it as a low point for the series. Quite possibly my favourite ever work of fiction.

BrandoRex
09-29-2016, 02:48 PM
I loved this one from start to finish. I genuinely don't understand how some people see it as a low point for the series. Quite possibly my favourite ever work of fiction.

Amen. It gave a much needed backstory and explains a lot more of Roland than the other books, at least to me. I really would like another book that deals with his original ka-tet. Plus it's just a damn good read. I'd say it's my second most re-read book of the series.

kaufen
10-23-2016, 12:26 AM
Some are: Roland's stand against Blaine,

The aftermath of Roland's story when Eddie and Susannah speak about Susan's death,

LizzyDeschain
07-23-2019, 06:11 AM
I feel like this is probably my favorite book because you finally get some answers to the long list of questions you have at this point (and of course a few new ones added). It was also relieving to see Roland unburden himself, but heartbreaking to understand there's so much he's been through.

My favorite parts would be the instance where Cuthbert defended Sheemie and shot Depape in the hand (and the entire scene that followed with Alain/Roland/Jonas/Reynolds), and crossing paths with Marten (Flagg/Walter) again. Though I felt so much more could have been added to that scene...quite a bit of buildup for a few seconds of confusion.

jebeare
02-08-2020, 06:28 PM
Wizard and Glass is my favorite book in the DT series. The love story between Roland and Susan is just a beautiful read, and the details given to Mejis are breathtaking. The geography, the language, the politics, etc., really bring the place to life.

I haven't read this whole thread, so I apologize if I'm repeating someone else's thoughts here. I feel like SK's ability to write a love story is a bit underappreciated. W&G, The Dead Zone, and of course 11/22/63 are, to me anyway, beautiful love stories first and foremost, with some fantastic supernatural threads thrown in for good measure.

Girlystevedave
02-12-2020, 08:37 AM
I feel like SK's ability to write a love story is a bit underappreciated. W&G, The Dead Zone, and of course 11/22/63 are, to me anyway, beautiful love stories first and foremost, with some fantastic supernatural threads thrown in for good measure.

Very true.
The Dead Zone is one of my favorite King stories and, to me, one of the saddest love stories he's ever written. :lol:

jebeare
02-21-2020, 06:45 PM
This has nothing to do with the thread, but this is the first time I've stumbled across your handle, GirlySteveDave, and I'm super excited to have found another King/Dark Tower/Kevin Smith fan! :thumbsup:

Jean
02-22-2020, 02:09 AM
The Dead Zone is one of my favorite King stories and, to me, one of the saddest love stories he's ever written. :lol:... and it is one of the million reasons why I love you :rose:

Jean
02-22-2020, 02:14 AM
I feel like SK's ability to write a love story is a bit underappreciated

very many years ago I even started a thread about this:
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?619-Journeys-End-in-Lovers-Meeting-Great-Love-Stories-as-a-Byproduct-or-Side-Effect&p=23283&viewfull=1#post23283

Girlystevedave
02-22-2020, 09:44 AM
This has nothing to do with the thread, but this is the first time I've stumbled across your handle, GirlySteveDave, and I'm super excited to have found another King/Dark Tower/Kevin Smith fan! :thumbsup:

Haha! I'm also glad to meet a fellow Smith/King fan. Not many people will get the Stevedave reference. :lol:

Girlystevedave
02-22-2020, 09:44 AM
The Dead Zone is one of my favorite King stories and, to me, one of the saddest love stories he's ever written. :lol:... and it is one of the million reasons why I love you :rose:

Aw Bears. :couple:

Girlystevedave
02-22-2020, 09:53 AM

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?619-Journeys-End-in-Lovers-Meeting-Great-Love-Stories-as-a-Byproduct-or-Side-Effect&p=23283&viewfull=1#post23283

I didn't know about that thread until now. :o

jebeare
02-28-2020, 08:49 PM

Jean, I cannot wait to dive into your love story thread. I'm sure there are many, MANY, SK love stories that are underrated and/or underappreciated. I look forward to catching up on the thread.