PDA

View Full Version : *SPOILER!* The Most Difficult Answer I've Ever Given...FULL EXPLANATION.

Adumbros
09-13-2008, 06:39 AM
I grow tired of waiting this out. I really did not expect, nor want, for the riddle to go unsolved so long. Ergo, your answer:

sentence.

There are three words in the English language that end in the letters 'gry'. The first two are angry and hungry. The third is something that you use every day. The answer is in the riddle. The answer is in the riddle. It is comprised of FOUR sentences. One of which, incidentally, ends in -gry. Hence the reason the lack of ability to think laterally and grasp the answer has been annoying me.

think of something the average human being uses every day that is also used in the riddle itself. It does indeed end in g-r-y, and the letters are indeed in that exact order. It's just not what you at first would think. Well, the average English-speaking human, barring mutes, uses a sentence ending in either the word angry or hungry, and, therefore, -gry, every day. And it is quite obvious from the riddle thread how true that last part of this clue is.

OK...you already know the word must end in -gry. yes, ONLY those three letters, and only in that order. it IS a trick question, in a manner of speaking. you DO use it every day, if you aren't mute; it is a way any average american or brit expresses him/herself in a certain situation thus given to speak. it is NOT a trick in the sense of it being something absurd such as a number or a word actually quoted in the riddle, although i would assume the correct letters are there in some sequence as they're all fairly common letters; however this is irrelevant. this is really all the more information i'm willing to purvey. Of course it was a trick question, but it wasn't what you expected, now, was it? The rest of this clue has already been explained.

to really fuck with you, i should tell you that the answer actually contains none of those three letters at all, and yet, ends in them. let's see what literary genius hits the jackpot. Well, the word sentence does not contain any of those three letters, yet a sentence can end in -gry.

lmao sorry. honestly, it took me almost three years to get the answer when it was posed to me. i was sitting, staring at it on a piece of paper, trying to figure out some form of bullshit or buggery that was eluding my grasp, and all of a sudden a certain thought related to the riddle popped into my head and i told my mom what it was, then a light bulb went off and i was like, "holy shit! THAT'S the answer!!" (yes, that post was actually a clue) I remember this douchebag Joey Fike telling me the answer to the riddle was "hand", which makes no sense no matter how you put it. That night, as I sat at home pondering what the answer could really be, I mentioned to my mom that, of course, "I'm hungry", which I realized was a sentence, which is something we use every day, and that, furthermore, was a sentence ending in -gry, which is also something we use every day.

so i'm gonna be as nice as I can be...no, i'm not giving away the answer.

The answer ends in -gry. The answer does not end in -gry. It is something you use every day. It is used in the riddle itself. It is not named in the riddle. It makes no sense to a shallow mind. It will make perfect sense when the answer is revealed. Before you ask: yes, technically there are multiple answers. However, in the context of the riddle, there is but one. Therefore, there is one answer, that you have heard before, that you are seeing right now as you read, that you say/use every day, that not only ends in -gry but does not contain a single one of those letters. It will remain elusive, I'm sure, but I daren't give any other clues. i would have to give out the answer to make you see. The first four sentences have been explained already. The fifth is self-evident. It makes perfect sense when revealed; it makes no sense to the shallow mind because that mind is incapable of thinking cross-laterally. Ironically, that very inability to think cross-laterally prevents one from seeing the true point of me making that statement about shallow minds, causing one to view it as an insult instead of a clue. The rest is either explained above or self-evident.

Therefore, no, "words" is incorrect.

Valiant, effort, nevertheless, to think laterally.
(this should give it dead the fuck away, being the only indirect clue i've given. wouldn't you think that fact would be a clue unto itself?) Well, fuck, how much of a leap does it take, friends and neighbors, from words to that which they compose, sentence?

the answer does not *ahem* always end in -gry. This has been explained already.

If you're still having problems working out to come to that conclusion, PM me, but I really don't see how I could make any of the above matters more clear.

Maturins_Daughter
09-13-2008, 07:41 AM
Um... I click the "show" button and nothing happens...

Jean
09-13-2008, 07:46 AM
strange, something must happen

try with this box (the contents are exactly the same as in the original)

sentence

I personally am not very happy with the solution. The leap from "word" to the object it denotates isn't quite correct - especially when we look at the original wording of the riddle, - and generally doesn't seem something that one would like to see in a good riddle (my personal opinion)

Maturins_Daughter
09-13-2008, 08:01 AM
Thank you, Jean. That worked for me. I agree with your assessment.

There are three words in the English language that end in gry...
The first two are...
The third is...

Every clue and the riddle itself leads the victim to the conclusion that the answer is one word that ends in 'gry'.

Jean
09-13-2008, 08:05 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gif at least I met you here again my elusive love... http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wub.gif

Maturins_Daughter
09-13-2008, 08:05 AM
:huglove:

Adumbros
09-13-2008, 08:20 AM
absolutely incorrect. a good riddle stymies the fuck out of its attempted solvers with misdirection. that's what makes it a riddle. or do you think the Riddle of the Sphinx is unfair as well?

i.e.

I have four legs as a child, two in maturation, and three in age.

i mean hey, technically, the first and last parts are unfair and misleading. a baby human does not have four legs, only two legs and two arms that he crawls upon, and an old human does not have three legs; rather two legs and a cane.

Jean
09-13-2008, 08:27 AM
as you wish

I stay with my opinion. If I say, "there is a word that contains four sets of letters 'L', 'E', 'G', 'S'" and give the answer as "table" on the grounds that it has four legs, to my mind it is incorrect, not misleading. Tastes differ, though.

Jon
09-13-2008, 11:14 PM
*takes a HIT OF ACID And wonders why this is a new thread.*

NemelChelovek
09-13-2008, 11:44 PM
To say that "sentence," the word, ends in "-gry" because a sentence may end in "-gry" is like saying a man named Tom is short because his name is short. The riddle explicitly said "three words in the English language end with -gry," so we know we are looking for a word, not a concept or a thing. "Sentence" is not a word that ends in "-gry;" just because a sentence can be made to do so does not change the fact that "sentence" AS A WORD does not. If I were to write a sentence in green ink, that would not make the word "sentence" a green word. Just like if I throw green ink on Tom, the name "Tom" does not become green. The word sentence does not end with -gry, therefore it should by all rights be an invalid answer to this riddle.

By your explanation, "title" is also the answer to the riddle, because there are numerous books/movies/songs whose titles end with "-gry," and your riddle possesses a title, ergo, "title" is in fact the answer. It's in the riddle, it's possible to make it end in "-gry." The only criteria have been met, if "sentence" is an acceptable answer. Of course, if both "title" and "sentence" are valid answers, the entire riddle is invalid, because now there are FOUR words that can end in "-gry."

But anyway. The answer, valid or not, doesn't bother me; if you think it works, so be it. Riddling's a game. What offends me is your condescending and insulting attitude towards those who disagree with the answer. I don't think the answer makes sense, because it doesn't answer the question you're asking. That doesn't mean I or anyone else who doesn't like it has a "shallow mind" or are incapable of lateral thinking. As a matter of fact, the people who've said here that they don't get this answer (myself, Jean, and Maturins_Daughter) have all solved other riddles in this forum, proving that they are, in fact, very capable of lateral thinking. Other people who have expressed frustration/inability to solve your riddle have not only solved other riddles, but written their own that other people were able to follow and solve. So if a bunch of people who have elsewhere proved that they are pretty good at riddling are every one of them utterly unable to solve this one, and then are still unable to see why it works when the answer is presented...I think the problem's with the riddle, not with the people trying to solve it.

For all I know, you originally meant no offense. Fine. But then when people did take offense, you proceeded to insult them about it. So I don't like that. Your riddles are one thing, your attitude and respect for others is another, and until the latter improves I don't think I'm going to try my hand at any more of the former. Thank you.

Mist_on_the_Water
09-16-2008, 11:11 AM
oh..uhm....see, I heard the same riddle with a different answer....I heard "Think of the words that end in -gry. Two of them are Hungry and Angry. There are three words in thr English language. What is the third word?

and the answer was:
Language....the "gry" bits are purely to distract someone, "there are three words in THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE...what is the third word?" why, it's simply the word language.

Mist_on_the_Water
09-16-2008, 11:12 AM
perhaps that may clear up a bit of confusion? It's one of my favorite riddles....

Rjeso
09-16-2008, 11:18 AM
IR's makes sense. It has a bit of misdirection, but also has a clear answer contained within the riddle itself. I have a feeling that this is what the original riddle was supposed to be.

Either that, or the answer is "In the riddle", since
"the answer is in the riddle"

Mist_on_the_Water
09-16-2008, 11:20 AM
as do I Rjeso mi amigo....I've seen the riddle plenty of times but it'ss a difficult one to word correctly...took me ages to get the wording memorized...thats a hard one to recite aloud too...

Mist_on_the_Water
09-16-2008, 11:30 AM
HERE!!!!

I found soemthing that may help us all out a whole heck of a lot!

Mild spoiler but as it's a link I see no reason to actually tag it:

http://www.fun-with-words.com/word_gry_angry_hungry.html

Maturins_Daughter
09-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Actually, that link and the "language" answer were tried in the original thread and rejected by the OP.

Mist_on_the_Water
09-16-2008, 01:54 PM
oh phoo..well....I gave it my best shot..hrm

sorry wish I coulda been more help!

BeDaN
09-25-2008, 06:03 AM
I have to agree this answer makes absolutely no sense what so ever.