PDA

View Full Version : The Most Difficult Riddle I've Ever Faced

Adumbros
09-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Know now that I have procured the answer many years past; but once upon a time, back in the early stages of high school, someone posed me the following, which took me three whole years to correctly cipher.

There are three words in the English language that end in the letters 'gry'. The first two are angry and hungry. The third is something that you use every day. The answer is in the riddle.

Let me know what your individual take/s on this is/are. If it goes as distant as I think it will, I may be tempted to offer a reward for the first correct answer.

Bev Vincent
09-04-2008, 01:41 PM
http://www.fun-with-words.com/word_gry_angry_hungry.html

NemelChelovek
09-04-2008, 01:44 PM
The answer to the riddle is "language," but the way it's phrased here makes that answer make less sense. The way you usually here it is "Think of words ending in the letters 'gry.' Two of them are 'angry' and 'hungry.' There are three words in the English language. What is the third?" Worded that way, it's two separate thoughts grafted together that seem to be related. "Language" is the third word in 'the English language,' making it the correct answer, because the question is simply "What's the third word in 'the English language,'" though it looks like you're asking for the third word that ends in 'gry.'

That's the way I've always heard the riddle. If you were looking for a different answer, well...um...*runs*

Adumbros
09-04-2008, 02:03 PM
actually there are indeed multiple versions of this riddle, most of them worded absurdly or with inane answers. however, the way i worded it is closest to the original version, as it is first recorded in print circa 1975. the answer is most assuredly NOT something as simple as anything thus far posted. if it were, i wouldn't have bothered to share.

Adumbros
09-04-2008, 02:09 PM
btw, NC...youre SN is a riddle unto itself. Doesn't it translate roughly to "Unintelligent Human being?"

Brice
09-04-2008, 04:52 PM
And the answer isn't on that page Bev linked to? :unsure:

NemelChelovek
09-04-2008, 08:11 PM
I heard it translated to "Big Man," but I didn't know that when I chose the name. I got it from the name of a sorcerer in a Russian fairy tale.

The Lady of Shadows
09-04-2008, 09:01 PM
if i'm right nemel is the name of the uncle and chelovek is the town or city wherein he's from. it would translate to nemel of chelovek in english. of course, i could be completely insane. :unsure:

NemelChelovek
09-04-2008, 09:10 PM
Hmmm...the place where I read the story explicitly said his name meant "The Big Man," so I don't believe it was referring to his place of birth.

John_and_Yoko
09-04-2008, 09:10 PM
I think Marilyn vos Savant said it was "aggry," but I could be mistaken....

Jon
09-04-2008, 11:26 PM
I am confused. Is this riddle about nemel's name???:cowboy:

J/K

Thank you Adumbros!

Adumbros
09-05-2008, 11:37 AM
no its not about nemel's name...although i am quite certain that chelovek is "human being." what little other russian i know includes such words as 'zec' and 'gulag', zec meaning prisoner. ne ways...

And the answer isn't on that page Bev linked to? :unsure:

'fraid not. the sad thing is, even though this version is probably the most difficult of them all, the answer is literally staring you in the face.

btw...aggry and meagry
are no longer in the common american lexicon. which is how this riddle came about, with the defunctity of those two words. were they still in the american language dictionary, we would technically have four words, not three.

jayson
09-05-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm breaking my brain trying to figure this one out. I'll probably want to smack myself when you (or someone else) reveals the answer. Much more difficult than "why is a raven like a writing desk":thumbsup:

NemelChelovek
09-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Oh, I think I get it.

The answer to this riddle is "in the riddle," isn't it?

Adumbros
09-06-2008, 10:01 AM
no, as painfully obvious as that would be...

Adumbros
09-06-2008, 10:03 AM
clue time, riddleslingers:

think of something the average human being uses every day that is also used in the riddle itself. It does indeed end in g-r-y, and the letters are indeed in that exact order. It's just not what you at first would think.

I'm surprised Brice of all people hasn't smacked this like a Mark McGwire steroid-ba....er, home run.

The Lady of Shadows
09-06-2008, 03:28 PM
three

ETA: there are only two common words in the english language that end in g-r-y in that order. if the answer isn't three or one of the other ones posted than perhaps we are all misinterpreting it?

gsvec
09-06-2008, 03:52 PM
The letters g, r, and y?

leaveittobeezer
09-06-2008, 05:35 PM
are there any letters between the g-r-y (i.e. alleGoRY)?

The Lady of Shadows
09-06-2008, 05:49 PM
he said the letters are in that exact order but he didn't say anything about them having or not having a letter in between them. but how does allegory fit into the riddle as originally posted? :unsure:

Gaberax
09-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Hmmm.... (http://www.fun-with-words.com/word_gry_angry_hungry.html)

gsvec
09-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Hmmm.... (http://www.fun-with-words.com/word_gry_angry_hungry.html)

That's the same link that Bev posted above . . . and apparently doesn't contain his answer. :D

Brice
09-06-2008, 06:50 PM

think of something the average human being uses every day that is also used in the riddle itself. It does indeed end in g-r-y, and the letters are indeed in that exact order. It's just not what you at first would think.

I'm surprised Brice of all people hasn't smacked this like a Mark McGwire steroid-ba....er, home run.

I am not so good at the riddles. :unsure:

Jon
09-06-2008, 07:37 PM

It does indeed end in g-r-y, and the letters are indeed in that exact order.

This statement could mean "ggry" or "gryy"

Just a thought.

jayson
09-07-2008, 05:07 AM

Just a thought.

Don't think it could mean "gryy" as he said it ends with "gry"

BeDaN
09-07-2008, 07:19 AM
Say

Jon
09-07-2008, 12:33 PM

Just a thought.

Don't think it could mean "gryy" as he said it ends with "gry"

Ok...ggry could still stand.

The Lady of Shadows
09-07-2008, 06:54 PM
okay, if we go with that then the only other word is aggry as in aggry bead. but that's not the answer because the riddle says the answer is in the riddle and it's something we use everyday. i don't know about you, but i don't use aggry beads everyday and i certainly didn't see any reference to them in the riddle.

either it's been posed inaccurately, or the answer has already been given.

it's either three, language, or "in the riddle" based on how the riddle is posed at this time.

there are so f'n many forms of this riddle (i've heard three other than this one) that it's almost impossible to solve. the answer to one i heard was "what" but that's not how this one is worded.

NemelChelovek
09-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, too. This seems like the sort of puzzle that when the answer is finally given, it'll turn out to be something that required an incredible amount of lateral thinking, and instead of saying "How could I not have seen that?" everyone's just kind of going to go "...what?"

No offense intended to Adumbros, of course.

The Lady of Shadows
09-07-2008, 07:55 PM
well, i'm done. my brain is just too tired and screwed up at this point. and it seems, to me, unsolvable. i leave it to you my good sirs and madames. :D

but i am prepared to come back and bang my head against the wall, with force and for a long period of time, if it turns out to be something so simple that even a child could have seen it! :lol:

KaLikeAWheel
09-07-2008, 08:17 PM
There are three words in the English language that end in the letters 'gry'. The first two are angry and hungry. The third is something that you use every day. The answer is in "the rid"dle.

Is the answer "third?"

Donna

Adumbros
09-08-2008, 05:21 AM
OK sorry for the sunday layover folks...and sadly, no one seems to have come really close yet. i fear giving more clues, 'cause i loathe those fools who practically give an answer away; it defeats the purpose. but i suppose i shall proffer just ONE more:

OK...you already know the word must end in -gry. yes, ONLY those three letters, and only in that order. it IS a trick question, in a manner of speaking. you DO use it every day, if you aren't mute; it is a way any average american or brit expresses him/herself in a certain situation thus given to speak. it is NOT a trick in the sense of it being something absurd such as a number or a word actually quoted in the riddle, although i would assume the correct letters are there in some sequence as they're all fairly common letters; however this is irrelevant. this is really all the more information i'm willing to purvey.

As for those wondering, it amazes even ME that my version is not apparently well-known. this wording is EXACTLY how i received it in freshman year, and the answer is surprisingly unique in relation to the various forms of this riddle.

Adumbros
09-08-2008, 08:43 AM
to really fuck with you, i should tell you that the answer actually contains none of those three letters at all, and yet, ends in them. let's see what literary genius hits the jackpot.

BlainetheMono
09-08-2008, 09:13 AM
wow... I am totally stumped. I hope someone answers correctly before I leave work today or this may keep me awake tonight. seriously:orely:

Adumbros
09-08-2008, 09:30 AM
lmao sorry. honestly, it took me almost three years to get the answer when it was posed to me. i was sitting, staring at it on a piece of paper, trying to figure out some form of bullshit or buggery that was eluding my grasp, and all of a sudden a certain thought related to the riddle popped into my head and i told my mom what it was, then a light bulb went off and i was like, "holy shit! THAT'S the answer!!"

KaLikeAWheel
09-08-2008, 12:33 PM
And it's not "Language"??

BeDaN
09-08-2008, 01:23 PM
"MOUTH" All the letters are within G and Y in the English alphabet, so the word does end IN -gry. We use it everyday. Thats the best I can come up with so if it's not that, I am totally stumped.

Adumbros
09-09-2008, 12:15 PM
dear lord. this is misfiring more than i thought. i honestly figured someone would have copped it by now.

man-n-black
09-09-2008, 01:02 PM
every

alinda
09-09-2008, 01:04 PM
:hopes: dude that would be an awesome first post!! :D
Welcome man-in-black.

Maturins_Daughter
09-09-2008, 06:04 PM
dear lord. this is misfiring more than i thought. i honestly figured someone would have copped it by now.
and

honestly, it took me almost three years to get the answer when it was posed to me.

So why would you think it would be solved in just a couple of days here? Just curious...

BeDaN
09-09-2008, 08:08 PM
We're all gonna shit ourselves when the answer is revealed.

Jon
09-09-2008, 11:18 PM
I already did!

But it had nothing to do with this riddle.

NemelChelovek
09-10-2008, 01:39 AM
Has anyone else noticed that this riddle isn't actually asking anything? There's no question anywhere; it just states several facts and then says "the answer is in the riddle." So unless the answer is literally the phrase "in the riddle," which we know it isn't, I'm not really sure what it is we're supposed to be "answering."

I'm not a fan of this variation on the old "gry" theme, personally, though I don't blame you Adumbros; I blame whoever told it to you originally. I have the feeling that the answer's going to end up requiring several leaps of logic, and that our reaction when we hear the answer will be "How were we ever supposed to get THAT?", which is something you never want the person being asked to think after a riddle's answer is revealed. It's just a hunch, and once again, no fault of yours Adumbros. Next time you see the man/woman who told this one to you, just give him/her a stern scolding and tell 'em it's compliments of NemelChelovek.

Now watch as the answer makes tons of logical sense and I'm forced to admit what an ass I've made of myself.

The Lady of Shadows
09-10-2008, 08:23 PM
i don't know about the rest of you but i vote the answer be revealed. even if behind a spoiler tag. that way those of us who want to know can know and those who still want to work on it can still work on it.

all in favor?

BeDaN
09-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Agree'd

leaveittobeezer
09-10-2008, 08:43 PM
all in favor?

aye

Jon
09-10-2008, 10:54 PM
How long has it been up?

Just checked, A bit over a week.

I'll leave it to the Mod and/or riddlemaster at this point. Now maybe if a second week goes by...

I recall one that went near a month at .net

The one about being in jail with an irregular shapped bottle and to cannot be released untill you have it exactly half full or half empty. That was put up three times. The second time it went a month. The third time it was less than a week. I suspect someone remembered the answer.

I'm pulling a "China" on you all and am abstaining from the vote for now. If Adumbros wishes to reveal it before another week then that's Adumbros' call. I will change my vote in a week though.

Adumbros
09-11-2008, 06:26 AM
and

honestly, it took me almost three years to get the answer when it was posed to me.

So why would you think it would be solved in just a couple of days here? Just curious...

because i was a mild-mannered highschooler at the time and most of us on here now are full-blown adults; thereby making it easier to believe that we would be able to think cross-laterally. hell, if someone asked me this question now, i would probably get it in a couple days, even not knowing the answer.

i honestly believe that a lot of people will smakc themselves when the answer is revealed; tho i do believe quite a few will feel equally cheated. i find the answer quite amusing.

i will leave this up for debate until a mod/fac/whatever forces my hand. i do not like to leave a good riddle unsolved, no matter how long it takes.

Adumbros
09-11-2008, 09:03 AM
just to clarify:

aggry, a glass bead found buried in the earth in Ghana.
puggry, a light scarf wound around a hat or helmet to protect the head from the sun, and
meagry, of meager appearance.

these are certified by the Oxford. makes you wonder where the hell the question came from, doesn't it?

Maturins_Daughter
09-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Certified by Oxford doesn't mean "in everyday use"...

You said above
i should tell you that the answer actually contains none of those three letters at all, and yet, ends in them.

So the answer is one word that doesn't contain the letters in question, and yet it ends in the letters... ? How does that make sense?

Adumbros
09-11-2008, 01:52 PM
once the answer is revealed, it will make perfect sense. I actually used the answer in the riddle. more than once.

Richie
09-11-2008, 02:06 PM
There are three words in the English language that end in the letters 'gry'. The first two are angry and hungry. The third is something that you use every day. The answer is in the riddle

The answer is gry

Adumbros
09-11-2008, 02:06 PM
wrong. not a word.

Richie
09-11-2008, 02:15 PM
oh ok then:orely:

Adumbros
09-11-2008, 02:19 PM
i imagine that once the answer is figured out somebody's gonna wanna bitchslap me

Brice
09-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Oh, I'm always willing to do that. :lol:

Adumbros
09-11-2008, 02:30 PM
yeah yeah :lol:

Brice
09-11-2008, 02:33 PM
:D

Adumbros
09-11-2008, 02:33 PM
how in the hell is your sig that long? i try and it tells me "too many characters".

Brice
09-11-2008, 02:35 PM
I'll PM you. :)

Adumbros
09-11-2008, 02:36 PM
oooooook

Adumbros
09-11-2008, 02:41 PM
so i'm gonna be as nice as I can be...no, i'm not giving away the answer.

The answer ends in -gry. The answer does not end in -gry. It is something you use every day. It is used in the riddle itself. It is not named in the riddle. It makes no sense to a shallow mind. It will make perfect sense when the answer is revealed. Before you ask: yes, technically there are multiple answers. However, in the context of the riddle, there is but one. Therefore, there is one answer, that you have heard before, that you are seeing right now as you read, that you say/use every day, that not only ends in -gry but does not contain a single one of those letters. It will remain elusive, I'm sure, but I daren't give any other clues. i would have to give out the answer to make you see.

leaveittobeezer
09-11-2008, 02:41 PM
is the answer "words"
There are words that end in -gry, & we use words every day. Just so u know I've been reading this thread for the last couple of days with a death-grip on my trusty bottle of Excedrin.

leaveittobeezer
09-11-2008, 02:43 PM
nm u posted like a split second b4 i did

Brice
09-11-2008, 02:44 PM
*takes another Percocet* :lol:

Adumbros
09-11-2008, 02:48 PM
There are three words in the English language that end in the letters 'gry'. The first two are angry and hungry. The third is something that you use every day. The answer is in the riddle.

The answer ends in -gry. The answer does not end in -gry. It is something you use every day. It is used in the riddle itself. It is not named in the riddle. It makes no sense to a shallow mind. It will make perfect sense when the answer is revealed. Before you ask: yes, technically there are multiple answers. However, in the context of the riddle, there is but one. Therefore, there is one answer, that you have heard before, that you are seeing right now as you read, that you say/use every day, that not only ends in -gry but does not contain a single one of those letters. It will remain elusive, I'm sure, but I daren't give any other clues. i would have to give out the answer to make you see.

Therefore, no, "words" is incorrect.

Valiant, effort, nevertheless, to think laterally.

Adumbros
09-11-2008, 02:49 PM
*takes another Percocet* :lol:

:snatches 10:

leaveittobeezer
09-11-2008, 03:27 PM
adjectives?

Adumbros
09-11-2008, 03:31 PM
what the-? waaaaaaaaaay off on tangents there. i was about to put you in the starting lineup, but now i'm not sure i want you off the water cooler! :P

still thinkin laterally; i like that. one last clue. that's it. after this, fuck it.

it's singular. whether a noun, verb, or whatnot, i cannot tell.

Brice
09-11-2008, 03:46 PM
I will ask that you set some point (maybe a week or two from now where you will give the answer if noone gets it in a spoiler box (just for those who truly give up). Either that or agree to PM the answer to someone if they ask for it.

Adumbros
09-11-2008, 03:48 PM
fair nuff.

alinda
09-11-2008, 04:29 PM
tongue :P

BeDaN
09-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Mouth is my best answer, I've looked at this riddle every which way I can and that's all I can come up with. Cripes I feel like an idiot.

Jon
09-11-2008, 09:46 PM

Seems kinda...insulting.

Oh well, your prejudgement, your loss.

I will guess a shallow "the."

NemelChelovek
09-12-2008, 01:16 AM
Yeah, unless that was in and of itself a clue, like "philosophy" or something, calling those who don't get it shallow-minded probably isn't going to make anyone want to try very hard.

BeDaN
09-12-2008, 05:10 AM

Seems kinda...insulting.

I'm sure she meant nothing by it.

Brice
09-12-2008, 06:14 AM

Seems kinda...insulting.

I'm sure she meant nothing by it.

I'm sure he didn't also.

Adumbros
09-12-2008, 07:33 AM
the very fact that you would view it that way is proof of how shallow your mind is, actually. although that was most assuredly not the context it was used in.

Brice
09-12-2008, 07:43 AM
the very fact that you would view it that way is proof of how shallow your mind is, actually. although that was most assuredly not the context it was used in.

If it was an unintended offense that's cool bro, but it is not totally unreasonable for someone who doesn't know you to interpret it how they did.

Adumbros
09-12-2008, 08:28 AM

Seems kinda...insulting.

as you notice, "the" is named several times in the riddle.

Adumbros
09-12-2008, 08:30 AM
eh i'm not gonna get into some big f'ing dustup over it. it doesn't have all that much to do with anything ne ways.

to be fair...one final clue, truly the final clue, to make up for whatever perceived slight that may have been...but mostly because i want this fuckin riddle over with.

the answer does not *ahem* always end in -gry.

Adumbros
09-12-2008, 08:30 AM
now please, somebody put it all together.

OK...you already know the word must end in -gry. yes, ONLY those three letters, and only in that order. it IS a trick question, in a manner of speaking. you DO use it every day, if you aren't mute; it is a way any average american or brit expresses him/herself in a certain situation thus given to speak. it is NOT a trick in the sense of it being something absurd such as a number or a word actually quoted in the riddle, although i would assume the correct letters are there in some sequence as they're all fairly common letters; however this is irrelevant. this is really all the more information i'm willing to purvey.

to really fuck with you, i should tell you that the answer actually contains none of those three letters at all, and yet, ends in them. let's see what literary genius hits the jackpot.

lmao sorry. honestly, it took me almost three years to get the answer when it was posed to me. i was sitting, staring at it on a piece of paper, trying to figure out some form of bullshit or buggery that was eluding my grasp, and all of a sudden a certain thought related to the riddle popped into my head and i told my mom what it was, then a light bulb went off and i was like, "holy shit! THAT'S the answer!!"
(yes, that post was actually a clue)

Therefore, no, "words" is incorrect.

Valiant, effort, nevertheless, to think laterally.(this should give it dead the fuck away, being the only indirect clue i've given. wouldn't you think that fact would be a clue unto itself?)

the answer does not *ahem* always end in -gry.

Maturins_Daughter
09-12-2008, 02:34 PM
With all the contradictions listed above, I'm not surprised no one has come up with the answer...

First you say the answer MUST end in -gry.
then you say the answer actually contains none of those three letters at all
and then you say the answer does not *ahem* always end in -gry.

I guess my mind is too shallow to figure that out...

gsvec
09-12-2008, 02:43 PM
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/gsvec/Misc%20Pics/smashhead.gif

Depren
09-12-2008, 05:07 PM
damn this is annoyingly hard, looked at it yesterday and haven't stopped thinking about it, and have no idea (but i did figure out i may be shallow :scared: haha) the answer really can't be that obvious.

Jon
09-12-2008, 10:09 PM

Damn...twist the knife will ya!

Fuck it...you are right, not worth it.

NemelChelovek
09-13-2008, 02:49 AM
the very fact that you would view it that way is proof of how shallow your mind is, actually.

Well, hey, I sure am motivated now...

alinda
09-13-2008, 03:51 AM
Thats, is the answer.....right?

Adumbros
09-13-2008, 06:14 AM
no... :sigh: no...

fuck it.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=247971#post247971

Adumbros
09-13-2008, 06:35 AM
With all the contradictions listed above, I'm not surprised no one has come up with the answer...

you took that first line out of context.

Adumbros
09-13-2008, 06:36 AM
damn this is annoyingly hard, looked at it yesterday and haven't stopped thinking about it, and have no idea (but i did figure out i may be shallow :scared: haha) the answer really can't be that obvious.

at this point, it should be. hence the Spoiler with the answer.

Maturins_Daughter
09-13-2008, 07:11 AM

I don't believe so... here is the full quote with that line at the forefront. And you'll note that every one of your so-called clues and even the riddle itself leads one to think that the answer is ONE WORD...

alinda
09-13-2008, 07:25 AM
I give, I'm having trouble thinking of anything else at all. I'll check in later to see how your all doing.:)

Adumbros
09-13-2008, 08:14 AM

I don't believe so... here is the full quote with that line at the forefront. And you'll note that every one of your so-called clues and even the riddle itself leads one to think that the answer is ONE WORD...

by saying the word must end in -gry, i'm saying that it must be a word that ends in -gry, not that that the word itself absolutely must do so. altho i'll grant you this is a poor clue in retrospect.

and it is ONE word. i never dispute that in any way.

Adumbros
09-13-2008, 08:16 AM
I give, I'm having trouble thinking of anything else at all. I'll check in later to see how your all doing.:)

i'm gonna leave this fucker posted until someone legitimately guesses w/o viewing the spoiler. altho i admit it's making me do a bit of this :pullhair:

hell, if nothing else, i would like to see how long it survives.

Adumbros
09-15-2008, 07:18 AM
fuck this. i don't even care. fuck it. link to THIS bitch right here--> http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=4600 fuck the spoiler....i don't give a shit...this is ridiculous...when i was a kid the lack of ability to answer wasn't so absurd...oh fuck it. just pass this bitch off as solved and can it.