PDA

View Full Version : Love for Song

Wuducynn
05-30-2007, 11:41 AM
Poor, poor Song of Susannah! I love this book and it is in my favorites in the series just below Wolves and I felt that it needed it's own fan thread! Come and give this book the love that it deserves! :huglove:

Wuducynn
05-30-2007, 11:46 AM
I loved the whole part with Reverand Earl Harrigan, he is one of my favorite minor characters of the saga. "GAWD BOMB" is now a household phrase for me.

MonteGss
05-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Just before the Gawd Bomb scene (which was great), Jake yelling in the street at the cabbie was fantastic!

sarah
05-30-2007, 02:31 PM
I just rented the audio from the library. I need the refresher :lol:

Jean
05-30-2007, 10:08 PM
I love every word of this book. It's my fourth favorite, leaving The Gunslinger and W&G far behind, and DT7 somewhat behind.

Rjeso
05-31-2007, 07:01 AM
I don't understand the hatred for this book, either. It's not my favorite, but it doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it.

Daghain
05-31-2007, 09:10 AM
This one just didn't do it for me. The whole thing with Susannah and Mia was way too dragged out for my taste. This one is probably my least favorite of the whole series.

Matt
05-31-2007, 10:11 AM
I agree with that. I believe we already knew that Suse could house an alternate personality and didn't need an entire book to explain it to us.

Roland and Eddie at the gas station though, that was hot shit.

Daghain
05-31-2007, 10:35 AM
Oh yeah, I loved the shootout at the gas station. Way cool. :D

Wuducynn
05-31-2007, 01:07 PM
I agree with that. I believe we already knew that Suse could house an alternate personality and didn't need an entire book to explain it to us.

If you think that Song of Susannah was about explaining that Susannah could house an alternate personality I think you missed the point of the book.

Wuducynn
05-31-2007, 01:09 PM
This one just didn't do it for me. The whole thing with Susannah and Mia was way too dragged out for my taste. This one is probably my least favorite of the whole series.

That's fine, but I did create this thread as a fan thread for this book..

Wuducynn
05-31-2007, 01:13 PM
The shoot out was really great. As my best friend said "It's probably the most action packed part of the saga" and I agree with him.

Frunobulax
05-31-2007, 02:41 PM
I loved Book VI. I think it gets a bad rap for having King introduce himself as a character/deus ex machina.
Despite that, it's probably my third or fourth favourite (Books I, II, and IV are all in the Top 4).

Matt
05-31-2007, 02:55 PM

If you think that Song of Susannah was about explaining that Susannah could house an alternate personality I think you missed the point of the book.

Ummm...I didn't :unsure:

That's fine, but I did create this thread as a fan thread for this book..

So, only love for the book in this thread then? I am not sure that is possible. :lol:

Frunobulax
05-31-2007, 04:52 PM
C'mon people show love for Suze!

Wuducynn
05-31-2007, 08:18 PM
C'mon people show love for Suze!

Yeah! :rock:

Jean
05-31-2007, 11:53 PM
I loved Book VI. I think it gets a bad rap for having King introduce himself as a character/deus ex machina.
His introducing himself as a character was crucial, coming from the very nature of the universes having the Dark Tower as its axis. Moreover, he never acted as deus ex machina.

Wuducynn
06-01-2007, 04:54 AM
His introducing himself as a character was crucial, coming from the very nature of the universes having the Dark Tower as its axis. Moreover, he never acted as deus ex machina.

Remember this isn't a **spoiler** thread folks ;)...

He has several times actually... when he left Callahan and Jake the key and when he left Susannah the big hint about Dandelo in his bathroom

Jean
06-01-2007, 05:11 AM
guys, please, don't overdo the spoilers! AllHail, it's not that all mentioned events are to be spoiler-boxed. I removed the boxes from your previous post. These facts do not reveal anybody's death, or the ending (which is defined as major spoiers), or anything about book 7. They are just events, please, let's not reduce the existing spoiler policy ad absurdum. The policy doesn't imply that we can't discuss in the open anything about a book when we are in this book's forum.

On topic: AllHail, if he was deus ex machina in the first event you've mentioned (the key), then everyone who helps other characters or is instrumental in their achieving their aim is one. Take anyone - aunt Talitha or that grandfather from Wolves, or of course Callahan. In the second event, he didn't do anything at all. He might as well not have left anything in the bathroom. Susannah was a gunslinger, remember?

Wuducynn
06-01-2007, 05:17 AM
Okay, I was just trying to go with what I thought the policy was..

On topic: AllHail, if he was deus ex machina in the first event you've mentioned (the key), then everyone who helps other characters or is instrumental in their achieving their aim is one. Take anyone - aunt Talitha or that grandfather from Wolves, or of course Callahan. In the second event, he didn't do anything at all. He might as well not have left anything in the bathroom. Susannah was a gunslinger, remember?

Actually that's not true, Stephen King is a divine conduit and so him causing things to happen to help the ka-tet at certains times is the very definition of "deus ex machina" and is not the same as regular help from others.

Wuducynn
06-01-2007, 05:20 AM
In fact King even puts that in his letter to Susannah "Here comes the deus ex machina" and here is the definition from the American Heritage Dictionary..

deus ex ma·chi·na (ěks mä'kə-nə, -nä', māk'ə-nə) Pronunciation Key
n.
In Greek and Roman drama, a god lowered by stage machinery to resolve a plot or extricate the protagonist from a difficult situation.
An unexpected, artificial, or improbable character, device, or event introduced suddenly in a work of fiction or drama to resolve a situation or untangle a plot.
A person or event that provides a sudden and unexpected solution to a difficulty.

Jean
06-01-2007, 05:21 AM
Stephen King is a divine conduit and so him causing things to happen to help the ka-tet at certains times is the very definition of "deus ex machina" and is not the same as regular help from others.

that is called petitio principii, no? You base your argument on the very thing that is yet to be proved.

In fact King even puts that in his letter to Susannah "Here comes the deus ex machina"

Oh please. Walter/Marten/Flagg says that he is Oz the great and terrible, which he is not.

Thank you for the definition. Now you probably see that King doesn't fit any of its points. The main idea of deus ex machina is his not being intrinsically connected with the events, his intervention being something authors have to fall back upon when they have no natural solution, resulting from the flow of events. My point is that everything King does in the series is interconnected with all other developments, and intrinsically connected with the way universes are organized around the Dark Tower. It is an internal part of the whole, not something imposed upon it from the outside.

Wuducynn
06-01-2007, 05:26 AM
I'm not sure if you saw my post before yours. Looks like we posted right on top of each other.

Jean
06-01-2007, 05:30 AM
I've edited mine accordingly

Wuducynn
06-01-2007, 07:26 AM
Alright Jean I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Frunobulax
06-01-2007, 08:10 AM
I think we can all agree, though, that SoS was a good book.

Wuducynn
06-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Well we that like or love it can agree on that, yeah. :)
Who likes this cover better than the hard-cover edition? http://www.levybooks.com/Bestseller/Listings/0504/hc/images/Dark%20Tower%206%20Song%20of%20Susannah_jpg.jpg

Not that I dislike the hard-cover cover art, but I REALLY love this one above.

Frunobulax
06-01-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm partial to that cover since I bought the trade paperback before the hardcover.

MonteGss
06-01-2007, 06:25 PM
The SoS hardcover cover is the most boring/dull of all seven hardcover covers. I like the one you posted CK. I've decided I'm going to purchase The Books in paperback also...is that one mass market or trade?

Frunobulax
06-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Trade.

MonteGss
06-01-2007, 06:59 PM
Thanks Fruno, I didn't read your previous post. :(

BedOfRoses
06-01-2007, 07:29 PM
We're just getting ready to read this one for the second time...I remember loving it so I expect to get even more from it this second time. I'll be back after the re-read! ;)

MonteGss
06-01-2007, 07:30 PM
BED! :wub:

BedOfRoses
06-01-2007, 08:17 PM
Monte! :wub: Oh, fellow SoS fan--how are you? :)

MonteGss
06-01-2007, 08:20 PM
It's you again!
How can people not like SoS anyway? The lamest book of the 7 is WaG, imo.

BedOfRoses
06-01-2007, 08:38 PM
I know that people have opinions on best and worst, but honestly, I just love them all. I was sitting here, trying to think of which is the "worst" for me, and it was tough! They all have their own amazing personalities and to choose one that is the most awful would be impossible, I think.

Sorry, All Hail, if we are spamming this thread. I :wub: Song of Susannah!

Wuducynn
06-01-2007, 08:53 PM
We're just getting ready to read this one for the second time...I remember loving it so I expect to get even more from it this second time. I'll be back after the re-read! ;)

I was wondering when you guys were going to get around to that..is it just me or Song of Susannah the fastest paced of all the books in the series? Even faster than Drawing? It sure seems it to me. It feels like so much is packed into it.

BedOfRoses
06-01-2007, 08:59 PM
We'll let you know how "fast-paced" it is after our second reading... ;) I know that Drawing was really fast, and SoS is one of the shorter ones. I think the action is pretty good throughout, and am looking forward to digging into it in the next few days.

Jean
06-01-2007, 09:12 PM
I was wondering when you guys were going to get around to that..is it just me or Song of Susannah the fast paced of all the books in the series? Even fast than Drawing? It sure seems it to me. It feels like so much is packed into it.
Yes, I think the same.

Wuducynn
06-01-2007, 09:16 PM
We'll let you know how "fast-paced" it is after our second reading... I know that Drawing was really fast, and SoS is one of the shorter ones. I think the action is pretty good throughout, and am looking forward to digging into it in the next few days.

What you don't remember? :P

BedOfRoses
06-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Matthew, honestly, by the time I made it to the last three books, I couldn't put them down! :P I remember them as a whole but not individually. :)

Wuducynn
06-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Matthew, honestly, by the time I made it to the last three books, I couldn't put them down! :P I remember them as a whole but not individually. :)

I know! I took a day off from work when each one came out and barely got up for the bathroom breaks! Gawd bomb, praise Jesus!! One of my favorite minor characters, he freaking cracks me up!

MonteGss
06-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Agreed CK. I laughed hard while he was telling Pere:

"Catholics are going to Hell, Father Don"
and
"Sodom on the halfshell, Gomorrah on a graham cracker, ready for the God-bomb that will surely fall from the skies, say hallelujah, say sweet Jesus and gimme amen."

:lol:

Frunobulax
06-01-2007, 11:32 PM
:rofl:
One of the few lines I remember verbatim from the entire series.

Matt
06-02-2007, 07:27 AM
Well, I sure didn't hate it. I believe I may have put Wolves behind it at one time but I believe they are on par. That's only because VII is the best of the last three imo and the first four are the best of the series. :lol:

Frunobulax
06-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Matt, I'm still trying to figure out the logic behind that post.

Wuducynn
06-04-2007, 07:48 AM

It's just his opinion that's all. He has a right to his wrong opinion...
:P

Matt
06-04-2007, 08:16 AM

:D

Meaning Song is only at the bottom of my list with Wolves becasue I like the other ones so much better.

Not that I don't like it. :borg:

Frunobulax
06-04-2007, 09:16 AM
OK--for some reason my brain would not compute.

NeedfulKings
06-13-2007, 07:49 PM
Yes, we're almost finished with our second read of DTVI and will move immediately onto VII this weekend.

SoS originally wasn't in my top 3 or 4. But, when BedOfRoses read it for her first time, I realized just how much WAS packed into this little gem and I enjoyed our discussions. As I read it again, it's pretty damn good!!!!!

My favorite part (and was the first time) is the part that some people have a hard time swallowing. King.

I know that this series would have had a completely different spin had King either finished it sooner or not had the accident. The mere fact that those events DID affect the story affects me! I hang on every single word during the palaver between Eddie, Steve, and Roland. It's amazing!!!!

I love it!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

As for the covers, the Artist edition is my fave. It's one of the only illustrations IN the book that I like as well. :)

Wuducynn
06-13-2007, 08:58 PM
I hang on every single word during the palaver between Eddie, Steve, and Roland. It's amazing!!!!

Yeah, I especially love the scene where Roland mesmerized King and he tells them about the red spiders in the chickens sent by the Crimson King. It gives me chills everytime I read it.

Frunobulax
06-13-2007, 09:02 PM
It definitely rings with me, probably due to arachnophobia.

Jean
06-13-2007, 10:27 PM
those ubiquitous spider gags always seemed to me rather thin, but the rest of King-Roland-Eddie palaver was superb!

Frunobulax
06-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Thin as a spider's silk?

Jean
06-13-2007, 10:46 PM
thin as a spider's leg, and poor as a spider's home, and transparent as a spider's web

Frunobulax
06-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Ah. Point taken, sai.

Wuducynn
06-14-2007, 06:22 AM
those ubiquitous spider gags always seemed to me rather thin, but the rest of King-Roland-Eddie palaver was superb!

I don't take your meaning here? Are you saying that he threw in the spiders as a scare or something? The spiders were in the chickens for a reason, they were trying to bite King to make him into Los's pet vampire writer. Los is the Lord of Spiders afterall so wouldn't it make sense that he sent spiders to do this job among others of his soldiers?

Wuducynn
06-17-2007, 10:19 AM
One of mine is the whole scene where Roland mesmerizes King, especially the bit about the crimson spiders in the chickens. It gives me chills and makes me oh so happy.. :)

Tvmorbid
06-18-2007, 06:08 AM
Yeah all the scenes with King are awesome, another favorite of mine is where Susannah manipulates that Swedish guy with the little ivory turtle :)

MonteGss
06-26-2007, 06:34 AM
I know this has been mentioned before but I just finished SoS on my audio re-read last night. The Reverend Harrigan is my favorite part of that book. I love the book but Gawd-Bomb scene is the best!
:rofl:

Matt
06-26-2007, 02:17 PM
I think the red spiders in the chickens thing actually happened to him.

Scary as hell imo.

Frunobulax
06-27-2007, 08:26 AM
GAWD BOMB!!!!

MonteGss
06-27-2007, 09:17 AM
"GAWD-BOMB, can you say hallelujah?"

Wuducynn
07-03-2007, 08:50 PM
I think the red spiders in the chickens thing actually happened to him.

Scary as hell imo.

If you could post a link to some interview where he says that, that would be awesome.

Matt
07-04-2007, 07:02 AM
Its just a feeling I have actually, I have never heard him say it.

I just think, as an author, SK probably uses versions of stuff that has happened to him for his books.

I also know he grew up pretty poor and spent time on farms.

Wuducynn
07-04-2007, 08:16 AM
I'm re-reading SOS right now and another favorite part is towards the beginning where Jake and Callahan are talking and Jake tells Callahan that he doesn't want to talk about where Susannah might be because he has a strong feeling that the Crimson King is looking for her.

MonteGss
07-04-2007, 09:29 AM
CK, I really enjoyed that whole conversation between Jake and the Pere as they are walking into the Dixie Pig. Callahan asking Jake will I be a gunslinger afterwards and the Pere blessing them beforehand. Good scene. :)

Wuducynn
07-04-2007, 11:22 AM
CK, I really enjoyed that whole conversation between Jake and the Pere as they are walking into the Dixie Pig. Callahan asking Jake will I be a gunslinger afterwards and the Pere blessing them beforehand. Good scene. :)

Yeah the overlapping scene with the beginning of DT7. Great stuff.

Valkyrie
07-16-2007, 11:41 AM
I loved Song Of Susannah and I thought it was beautifully written. I have loved all of these books and could never rank them in any kind of order, but I have to say that DT5 and DT6 were the ones I had the hardest time leaving. I was reading every second of every available minute I could.

Frunobulax
07-16-2007, 04:33 PM
I accidentally bought a second copy of the trade hardcover on Saturday. Hey, it was only $1.

Valkyrie
07-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Disgusted though I was, I still enjoyed reading about Mordred's birth and was rather horrified as he morphed into a spider and sucked his mother dry. I also enjoyed Detta a whole lot in this book (and the final book). I was never a big fan of hers until this book.

Darkthoughts
07-17-2007, 06:37 AM
Matt - I couldn't help feeling when I reread the book last that I'd heard SK say somewhere that that had happened...no idea where I'd of heard that though!

Wuducynn
07-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Disgusted though I was, I still enjoyed reading about Mordred's birth and was rather horrified as he morphed into a spider and sucked his mother dry. I also enjoyed Detta a whole lot in this book (and the final book). I was never a big fan of hers until this book.

Cool...personally I loved the Mordred's birth scene but thats in DT7, what are some of your favorite scenes in Song of Susannah?

Jean
07-20-2007, 10:00 PM
I have just realized that the whole Song consists of my favorite moments only.

Valkyrie
07-21-2007, 09:36 AM

Cool...personally I loved the Mordred's birth scene but thats in DT7, what are some of your favorite scenes in Song of Susannah?

OOPS! I pulled out my copy and read the last page and realized that we didn't see Mordred until the last book. I totally forgot that! These books always end in such odd places. Thanks for pointing that out to me!

Favorite SoS scenes:

1. Mia taking Suze on a little journey to see where she comes from and what she originally looked like.
2. The gunfight at the store when Roland and Eddie first arrive in Maine.
3. I love the scene when King first meets Roland and Eddie.
4. I love the scene in Susannah's Doggan where she first sees Mordred on the screne. Creepy!
5. I love the scene when they go through the doors in the very beginning.

Those are just a few.

Matt
07-21-2007, 10:08 AM

These two are very high on my list in that book

MonteGss
10-10-2007, 01:02 PM
All of the scenes in Maine with Eddie and Roland are, for me, the best parts of this book. The Jake-Fadda scenes are next. I enjoyed them much more than the Mia-Susannah ones.

Wuducynn
10-10-2007, 01:13 PM
All of the scenes in Maine with Eddie and Roland are, for me, the best parts of this book. The Jake-Fadda scenes are next. I enjoyed them much more than the Mia-Susannah ones.

Is there anything more to the Susannah-Mia scenes being your least favorite than your dislike of the character? Or is that it? Personally, I especially loved the scenes where Mia and Susannah palaver on the Castle Discordia and she talks about the Forge of the King etc. I sometimes just go back and read those because they're so exciting and chilling to me.

MonteGss
10-10-2007, 01:24 PM
It's not that I dislike that character buddy, she's just my least favorite. So, with that in mind, it is natural for me to enjoy the Roland/Eddie parts (my two favorite characters) the most. :)
I did like the information we learned from Mia and Susannah's conversation at the castle but their parts didn't seem as exciting and as important to the overal mythos of the saga, at least compared to what Roland and Eddie were doing. During their adventure in Main over the span of DT6 and 7, I really felt like we were getting closer and closer to the end...a wrap-up. The pieces were coming together for their eventual "victory."

Wuducynn
10-10-2007, 01:30 PM
Okay, I thought you disliked her character..shes most Tower junkie's least favorite character afterall. Anyway, I guess learning about the details of the Prim and Walter's enlistment of Mia and the setting up of the Arc station in Fedic for the children wasn't as important to the mythos of the saga as what Roland and Eddie, and Jake and Donald were up to? I thought in its own way it was equally important.

MonteGss
10-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Nah, not for me. "Saving the rose" was talked about for most of the series, since DT3. Mordred wasn't really anything important til DT6. They were interesting facts that you mentioned but not of the same importance, imo.
Just my two cents. :)

Storyslinger
10-11-2007, 07:04 AM

These two are very high on my list in that book

Mine too

Erin
11-08-2007, 06:01 PM
King's Role in SoS

Wuducynn
12-06-2007, 07:17 AM
I loved Song Of Susannah and I thought it was beautifully written. I have loved all of these books and could never rank them in any kind of order, but I have to say that DT5 and DT6 were the ones I had the hardest time leaving. I was reading every second of every available minute I could.

A lady after my own heart. Song of Susannah was such a pulse pounding read with so much covered in it in such a short of time with an amazing cliff hanger ending..imagine having to wait six more years after THAT ending?? :pullhair:

Storyslinger
12-06-2007, 07:19 AM
I can honestly say that it was the quickest read for me, not because it was short, but because I couldn't put it down. I had to reread it just so I could say it took me more than a week to finish it

Wuducynn
12-06-2007, 07:39 AM
I can honestly say that it was the quickest read for me, not because it was short, but because I couldn't put it down. I had to reread it just so I could say it took me more than a week to finish it

:lol: Great problem to have! What a lot of folk complain about in regards to this book is one of the things I love about it, that being it centering so much on Susannah. Everything that she goes through with her visions within her Dogan and palavers with Mia on Castle Discordia were just awesome.

Storyslinger
12-06-2007, 07:41 AM
King went back and did a more indepth explaination of what he first introduced in The Drawing of Three. He is damn good at the, inside your mind thing

jayson
12-06-2007, 07:48 AM
What a lot of folk complain about in regards to this book is one of the things I love about it, that being it centering so much on Susannah. Everything that she goes through with her visions within her Dogan and palavers with Mia on Castle Discordia were just awesome.

I know for some it may be difficult to follow when King does this "inside the mind" thing [similar to Dreamcatcher] but I think it is one of the best tools of character development he employs in his writing. I loved S.O.S. specifically because of all the Dogan stuff. Susannah's character took on such a greater depth after this book that come DT-7 I found myself looking at her in a whole new light.

Of all of the books, this and Drawing of the Three that I find the hardest to put down once I start reading.

Darkthoughts
12-06-2007, 02:17 PM
I also enjoyed Song immensely. I love Suze as a character, infact no-one's really described exactly why Susannah bugs them.

Wuducynn
12-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Is anyone a big fan of the scenes where Mia is telling her story of her background and how Walter found her and the forces of the Red moving into the dogan in Fedic? These were some of my favorite moments, getting all this background.

MonteGss
12-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Is anyone a big fan of the scenes where Mia is telling her story of her background and how Walter found her and the forces of the Red moving into the dogan in Fedic? These were some of my favorite moments, getting all this background.

I am just coming to this part again on my commutes. :)
I do prefer the Eddie-Roland adventures myself though. :)

Jean
12-10-2007, 11:58 PM
No, not really. Everything connected with the mythology almost always works for me as efficient soporific. There were some emotional moments I liked (for example, about that pink baby and its parents), but it's my least favorite part of book 6.

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 07:35 AM
I also enjoyed Song immensely. I love Suze as a character, infact no-one's really described exactly why Susannah bugs them.

Thats because you rock, woman!

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 07:37 AM
So you must have really loved the scene where Susannah meets the guitarist on the street and Mia gets to experience all her memories of her love for her Mother.

Jean
12-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Yes. It might mean I'm sentimental, maudlin and all that, but I loved that part.

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 10:58 AM
Theres nothing at all wrong with sentimentality...I would describe myself as sentimental. I think if you're not you're missing some of the power of moments like that in Song of Susannah and in the rest of the Dark Tower series.

jayson
12-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Without sentiment we'd just be Andy Messenger Robot [or at best, Nigel]

Wuducynn
12-12-2007, 03:08 PM
One of my favorite scenes in this book was when Callahan and Jake were almost overcome by Black 13. I love what Black 13 was whispering to Callahan to do to Jake, cut his throat and bathe Black 13 in Jakes blood and then have Callahan jump out the window to his death while screaming the name of the Crimson King all the way down. Man, if thats not pure poetry and feeling I don't know what is! :harrier:

Letti
12-12-2007, 03:12 PM
I love the part when Jake gets pissed off the (cab?) driver who almost hit Oy... at that moment I realised first time what a gunslinger Jake had become.

Wuducynn
12-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Great part, I really loved the crazy preacher and how he told the cop giving him a ticket to go screw..in a Biblical, Christian manner of course. :cool:

jayson
12-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Great part, I really loved the crazy preacher and how he told the cop giving him a ticket to go screw..in a Biblical, Christian manner of course. :cool:

I love the part when Jake gets pissed off the (cab?) driver who almost hit Oy... at that moment I realised first time what a gunslinger Jake had become.

As a native New Yorker, this entire sequence was one I could picture clear as day as if I were there todash. It's very authentic, and Jake reacted to that cabbie the way any good New York boy would, with the threat of violence.:shoot:

Storyslinger
12-13-2007, 07:25 AM

This definitly ranks at the top

NeedfulKings
12-17-2007, 08:30 PM
Definitely the scene where King met Eddie and Roland. Him running into the lake was classic!!!

I am a BIG fan of Sai King being a character. :)

Letti
12-18-2007, 02:13 AM

As a native New Yorker, this entire sequence was one I could picture clear as day as if I were there todash. It's very authentic, and Jake reacted to that cabbie the way any good New York boy would, with the threat of violence.:shoot:
*sigh*
I must see New York one day.

jayson
12-18-2007, 04:05 AM
I must see New York one day.

Yes, you must. I love King for putting the Rose there and proving what I have always said to be true, that NYC is the center of the universe.:rose:

Wuducynn
12-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Another favorite part of this book is when Susannah is at the hotel and the hotel clerk says what I have in one of my quotes. Talk about a big signal to her.

jayson
12-19-2007, 11:38 AM
Another favorite part of this book is when Susannah is at the hotel and the hotel clerk says what I have in one of my quotes. Talk about a big signal to her.

I finished a re-read of S.o.S. a few days ago, and I thought of your sig when I got to that point. I enjoy all of the scenes where Susannah-Mio fascinates people with the turtle, particularly the parts like your quote where the Discordia bleeds into the psyche of the person and spills out in things like what the desk clerk says.

MonteGss
12-22-2007, 08:45 AM
I like that the desk clerk was really hot. :)

Wuducynn
12-24-2007, 12:18 PM
I like that the desk clerk was really hot. :)

Yes, that was key to the whole moment.

MonteGss
12-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Yes, I have keen insight into the series folks. I'll be here all this week!!

Seriously though, after just completing my second listening of Song, I can appreciate the Mia-Susannah parts a bit more now. Susannah is one tough cookie. :)

Wuducynn
12-24-2007, 02:38 PM
:harrier: Glad you're appreciating them more..I especially enjoyed Mia telling of her meeting Walter :harrier:

MonteGss
12-24-2007, 02:40 PM
I think I can safely put Mia into my Cal Tower/Cordelia Delgado-please-shoot-me-dead list. I feel sorry that Susannah had to put up with her.

Wuducynn
12-27-2007, 07:43 PM
I love when Mia freaked out because the Japanese tourists wanted her to take a picture of them...she was about ready to kill when they whipped out that camera! :rofl:

MonteGss
12-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Totally! :lol:

Letti
12-27-2007, 11:29 PM
:harrier: Glad you're appreciating them more..I especially enjoyed Mia telling of her meeting Walter :harrier:
Oh yes. At that part I felt I might have done the same in Mia's shoes.. after that I couldn't hate here or be angry with her.

jayson
12-28-2007, 06:05 AM
I love when Mia freaked out because the Japanese tourists wanted her to take a picture of them...she was about ready to kill when they whipped out that camera! :rofl:

The audiobook reading in that part is awesome. George Guidall [sp?] does a great job depicting how freaked Mia gets.

Mike Beck
12-28-2007, 09:47 AM
SoS might have been my favorite book of the last three.

All the scenes I loved have already been mentioned, i think.

- Jake bugging on the cab driver

- Susannah and Mia on top of Castle Discordia

- Eddie and Roland meeting Stephen King

- The conversation between Callahan and Jake before the Dixie Pig

- Susannah's scene while she's watching the guy play the guitar before she goes into the Dixie Pig

- The snot eating mutie and his run-in with Roland

Matt
12-28-2007, 11:33 AM
I love all those. I may have to borrow this one from the library for my next listen.

Mike Beck
12-28-2007, 12:49 PM
hmm. you know, i think the snot eating mutie bit was from 7, but fuck it. it's still great.

jayson
12-28-2007, 12:51 PM
hmm. you know, i think the snot eating mutie bit was from 7, but fuck it. it's still great.

the snot-eating one [hayliss, aka "chucky"] was in #7, but roland and eddie met chevin of chavin in #6 so you get partial credit mike.

MonteGss
12-28-2007, 03:50 PM
- Jake bugging on the cab driver

- The conversation between Callahan and Jake before the Dixie Pig.

These are fantastic parts!

Letti
01-01-2008, 02:24 PM
That conversation is very touching.

Letti
01-09-2008, 01:22 PM
I have just seen it.
SOS
The whole book is about an SOS (save our souls - even the plural form)... I don't think Sai King gave this title because its short version is SOS but still,
it's quite interesting, isn't it?

(or am I just way too romantic and silly?) :rolleyes:

jayson
01-09-2008, 01:26 PM
I think it's a cool coincidence, and that you can never be TOO silly.

Brice
01-09-2008, 02:03 PM
nor too romantic.

...and there are no coincidences.

Letti
01-09-2008, 02:04 PM
nor too romantic.

Brice
01-09-2008, 02:05 PM
nor too romantic.

:huglove: Off topic huggling.

Wuducynn
01-14-2008, 07:27 AM
One of my favorite moments is the whole thing involving Reverend Earl Harrigan of the Church of the Holy God Bomb. One of my favorite minor characters..especially when he says he'll try and pray Callahan through the fires of perdition for being a mackerel-snapping Catholic...that whole thing involving him had me rolling.

jayson
01-14-2008, 07:32 AM
One of my favorite moments is the whole thing involving Reverend Earl Harrigan of the Church of the Holy God Bomb. One of my favorite minor characters..especially when he says he'll try and pray Callahan through the fires of perdition for being a mackerel-snapping Catholic...that whole thing involving him had me rolling.

Harrigan is another character that rings as a true New Yorker. I've spent much time in NYC and there are many Earl Harrigans around. King did a great job of capturing that NY street preacher vibe.

Mike Beck
01-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Just thought I'd pop in here. I love this little community of SoS lovers. :)

I thought it was amazing. It affected me more than 5 or 7. The pace, the characterization of Susannah, the scenes on Castle Discordia are vivid images burned into my mind. All the events in Maine and the mission to find the Writer amazed me. Best cliffhanger ending of the entire series. I love Susannah. She's such a strong character, and I'm glad King decided to center so much of this part of it on her. and another scene that bugs me out and stays with me is Callahan/Jake/Oy in the hotel with Black 13. Sick.

GAWD-BOMB, son!

Also. The Dutch guy was really funny.

Wuducynn
01-28-2008, 05:09 PM
The VanWyck-ster. :cool:I've never cared about a character's regularity of his bowels until The Dark Tower series before..it was very "moving"

LadyHitchhiker
01-29-2008, 12:04 AM
I love the name of this thread.

Wuducynn
02-08-2008, 06:16 AM
So, Maerlyn we know its your least favorite of the series still even after another reading, do you have any favorite parts?
One of mine is where that fat annoying fuck Tower gets a verbal stomping from Eddie. I wanted to cheer...in fact I think I did when I first read it.

sarah
02-08-2008, 08:30 AM
Hmmm, I wouldn't say it is my least favorite, just that I liked the other ones better. :lol:

Some love for song:

The shoot out at the gas station.

Jake coming through the door and freaking out at the cabbie who almost ran over Oy.

Eddie giving Calvin Tower the verbal smack down. No guns no beatings just a good clean yelling. :lol:

and the constant twirling of Roland's two fingered right hand telling Eddie lets go lets go

EDIT:
I have always loved the scenes between Roland and Eddie. We get some good ones in The Drawing of the Three, but in Song, Eddie has grown up a bit and their interaction is some of King's best writing, imo.

Wuducynn
02-08-2008, 08:33 AM
The shoot out at the gas station.

Jake coming through the door and freaking out at the cabbie who almost ran over Oy.

Two of my favorite parts also :harrier:

blake316
02-25-2008, 08:14 AM
Just on my second run through The Gunslinger, reading Jakes description about when he is hit by the car 'I could taste my own shit' adds even more weight to Oy nearly getting hit. I realise he has much concern for Oy but perhaps in the back of his mind, deep down he remembers how getting run down feels.

Also, apologies but I really cant remember, what happens to Black Thirteen in the end? If anything? Is it just left in the deposit box? I was sure it was going to be on Rolands to do list when he visits the corp. But it wasnt mentioned.

jayson
02-25-2008, 08:16 AM
Also, apologies but I really cant remember, what happens to Black Thirteen in the end? If anything? Is it just left in the deposit box? I was sure it was going to be on Rolands to do list when he visits the corp. But it wasnt mentioned.

i think we are supposed to believe it stayed in the deposit box until 9-11-01 and was destroyed when the towers collapsed on it.

Wuducynn
02-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Or that it might have caused 9-11..I don't know about it actually being destroyed though...

jayson
02-25-2008, 09:49 AM
i def think we're supposed to believe it caused 9-11. the destruction thing i think is hinted at, though i can't quite remember where and how. certainly possible since they are just made of glass. los was able to break half a dozen of them just by throwing them on the floor, right, so two falling skcyscrapers could prob have taken out #13

Wuducynn
02-25-2008, 09:54 AM
Well the Red King is a demon-god and was mightly put-out over some things at that moment...vs. Black 13 being the mightiest of the Bends o' the Rainbow afterall...well its something to wonder about anyway.

Wuducynn
02-25-2008, 09:58 AM
Bringing this back on topic... So Jayson...whats some of your favorite parts of Song of Susannah?

jayson
02-25-2008, 10:00 AM
meeting Stephen King for sure, and all of the descriptive stuff from Mia about the Prim and life in Fedic and Demon elementals, but still the best moment is Jake and the cabbie who nearly hit Oy.

Wuducynn
02-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Earl Harrigan is my favorite minor character and that whole part with him, is one of my favorites of the book and the series.

Letti
02-25-2008, 01:02 PM
Just on my second run through The Gunslinger, reading Jakes description about when he is hit by the car 'I could taste my own shit' adds even more weight to Oy nearly getting hit. I realise he has much concern for Oy but perhaps in the back of his mind, deep down he remembers how getting run down feels.

I have never thought of this before but it sounds logical and true.

jayson
02-25-2008, 01:04 PM
good observation blake. i'm sure jake would still have been pissed, but given his own experience, i agree, having Oy almost die as he did would really get to him.

Wuducynn
02-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Jake was about to riddle that fucker with bullets...it would be interesting to read about it happening like that..

jayson
02-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Jake was about to riddle that fucker with bullets...it would be interesting to read about it happening like that..

and on some level of the Tower, or several levels, he did waste the guy [if, like i do, you believe that for every possibility there is a level where it happens]

Wuducynn
02-25-2008, 01:27 PM
Yeah, I can get behind that idea. Definitely. :cool:

Brainslinger
03-10-2008, 09:52 PM
I loved Song of Susannah. It was an interesting change of pace after the rest period of the previous book (which I liked too, but in a different way.) Only think I wasn't really keen on was how the whole wind of ka thing send various folks to different time zones. I like how the Manni were utilized in opening the door, I just thought sending the characters to their various times could have been done better, since the wind/door thing never happened before. I didn't actually dislike the scene, it just seemed a bit too convenient. (For the plot, it was most inconvenient for the charcters.)

It had a comic moment though with Oy shooting past Eddies head 'barking like a..." Sorry I don't use that language, but it's funny.

As for the rest of the book, a great fast pace read. I like Susannah as a character, and it was interesting that she became so central since most of the time we see things from the point of view of either Eddie or Jake before then.

One critcism that used to be on DT.net was that they disliked the way SoS ended on a cliffhanger. I never really had a problem with that though since it wasn't as if we had to wait long for DT7. Unlike those poor folk who had to wait ages for the resolution of the riddling contest on Blaine at the end of the Waste Lands. I was somewhat fortunate as I started reading the DT books in the time period between the publishing of Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla. I still had quite a wait, but not as long as some.

Brainslinger
03-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Oh, yeah, I meant to say... I found the art in this book interesting too. Particularly that fractured picture of Susannah's face, which somehow manages to be hideous and beautiful at the same time.

Wuducynn
03-11-2008, 05:04 AM
I loved Song of Susannah. It was an interesting change of pace after the rest period of the previous book (which I liked too, but in a different way.) Only think I wasn't really keen on was how the whole wind of ka thing send various folks to different time zones. I like how the Manni were utilized in opening the door, I just thought sending the characters to their various times could have been done better, since the wind/door thing never happened before. I didn't actually dislike the scene, it just seemed a bit too convenient. (For the plot, it was most inconvenient for the charcters.)

It had a comic moment though with Oy shooting past Eddies head 'barking like a..." Sorry I don't use that language, but it's funny.

As for the rest of the book, a great fast pace read. I like Susannah as a character, and it was interesting that she became so central since most of the time we see things from the point of view of either Eddie or Jake before then.

One critcism that used to be on DT.net was that they disliked the way SoS ended on a cliffhanger. I never really had a problem with that though since it wasn't as if we had to wait long for DT7. Unlike those poor folk who had to wait ages for the resolution of the riddling contest on Blaine at the end of the Waste Lands. I was somewhat fortunate as I started reading the DT books in the time period between the publishing of Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla. I still had quite a wait, but not as long as some.

Because something never happened before that makes it too convenient? How is that?

Brainslinger
03-14-2008, 07:47 AM
Because something never happened before that makes it too convenient? How is that?

I agree there were loads of examples of ka being used as a major plot manipulator (i.e. unlikely threads coming together etc. I won't say 'coincidence' -whoops just dids- since ka rule it out.). However using a huge wind as a plot device just felt like it was taking things too far to me. I guess what I'm saying is, the characters could have been sent to their destinations in a more subtle way. I.e. unlikely things happening in the world around,i.e. finding the right object at the right time, meeting a helpful friend is ok but sudden blasts of wind etc just taking you places... I just wasn't so keen on that.

DT7 spoiler-

I felt the same way in the last book when Roland and Eddie got caught up in the beam... you know the bit when they levitated in the car and were whisked away to see Susannah and Callahan? I won't go into that here though as I'm drifting off topic, but I'd be willing to discuss that in the DT7 forum if you like.

Overall my reaction to SoS is positive though, as I stated above. (Not meant in a moody tone.)

Letti
03-16-2008, 01:20 AM
I am so happy that I can say that I was interested in everything that had ever happened in DT series. Really.
I am a junkie.

Anyway I didn't like the pictures in this book. They were not so unbearable but... not my cup of tea at all.

Unfound One
03-16-2008, 03:15 AM
i'm with you here letti,
i suppose sos was getting darker, but the pictures were just creepy.

MonteGss
03-16-2008, 07:02 AM
They were not so unbearable but... not my cup of tea at all.

Not mine either.

Wuducynn
03-16-2008, 07:04 PM
The artwork in SOS rules, just like the rest of the book. :harrier:

Wuducynn
03-16-2008, 07:08 PM
I agree there were loads of examples of ka being used as a major plot manipulator (i.e. unlikely threads coming together etc. I won't say 'coincidence' -whoops just dids- since ka rule it out.). However using a huge wind as a plot device just felt like it was taking things too far to me. I guess what I'm saying is, the characters could have been sent to their destinations in a more subtle way. I.e. unlikely things happening in the world around,i.e. finding the right object at the right time, meeting a helpful friend is ok but sudden blasts of wind etc just taking you places... I just wasn't so keen on that.

The circumstances involving the opening of the Unfound Door, was different than anything they had dealt with before. This was a door that had already shut and the Manni were using magic to force open, so of course something different would happen. I look at it as the Manni whipped up a tornado of power by what they were doing and Roland's ka-tet got caught up in it. Makes sense.

Brainslinger
03-17-2008, 09:03 AM
The circumstances involving the opening of the Unfound Door, was different than anything they had dealt with before. This was a door that had already shut and the Manni were using magic to force open, so of course something different would happen. I look at it as the Manni whipped up a tornado of power by what they were doing and Roland's ka-tet got caught up in it. Makes sense.

That does make sense actually. The Manni did state that each party should be ready to run through the door when it opens though.... but I alway remember Henchick (or whatever his name is) smiling in a secretive way as if he knew something he wasn't telling. At the time I wondered if this was a forewarning that he would betray them (which he didn't, at least not in the way I thought), but now I wonder if he knew about the wind, or at least something unexpected might happen...

I'm not saying he knew who would be blown where though. Just that their plans would likely go awry. This is an old guy with an active experience of seeking out the doors after all.

Still not keen on the wind as a plot device, but it makes more sense at least. ;)

Wuducynn
03-17-2008, 02:05 PM
but I alway remember Henchick (or whatever his name is)

"Or whatever his name is" yeah, right. Like you didn't know it off the top of your head. :rolleyes:

Ka-tet
03-18-2008, 02:58 AM
I dont hate this book, in fact i loved this book.

Its just my least favorite of the serise ><

Brainslinger
03-18-2008, 04:18 AM
"Or whatever his name is" yeah, right. Like you didn't know it off the top of your head. :rolleyes:

Heh.
I'm not usually that good at remembering the names of characters. (Except the main ones.) Honest.

Wuducynn
03-18-2008, 05:25 AM
I dont hate this book, in fact i loved this book.

Its just my least favorite of the serise ><

Ka-tet, could you head over to the thread about why its your least favorite in the series and tell me why? Its just something that interests me because its so common that it is for most folk.

Storyslinger
03-18-2008, 07:32 AM
After my recent finising of this book, one of the reasons tha makes this such a great book is all the time that you spend inside Mia/Sus's head. I also deeply enjoyed the emotional moment at the end with the guitar player.

what
03-18-2008, 08:20 AM
Just finished Song, and I have to say this book was great! I think what was so entertaining for me was bringing King into the story. It kills me though.. I'm not ready for the journey to end...

Wuducynn
03-18-2008, 08:21 AM
Just finished Song, and I have to say this book was great! I think what was so entertaining for me was bringing King into the story. It kills me though.. I'm not ready for the journey to end...

Awesome! What do you think about the very ending? With the headline about Stephen King dying? Talk about a wicked cliff-hanger!:excited:

what
03-18-2008, 08:56 AM
YES! I'm actually headed home for lunch to start on book VII... I'm probably wrong on this but i thought i remember King actually being reported as dead after the accident... thats what my mom said anyways, she lived in the area during that time.

Wuducynn
03-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Yeah, I think in some papers he was...this is so cool to get this from a perspective of someone first reading the series :cool:

Wuducynn
03-18-2008, 09:01 AM
Just imagine if you got to the end and couldn't go home and start on The Dark Tower? The torture...

what
03-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Thankfully I came after the long wait between books... I would have lost my mind waiting for the conclusion to the riddling contest!

Matt
03-18-2008, 10:25 AM
Can't wait to hear what you think about the end what :rock:

jayson
03-18-2008, 10:32 AM
Thankfully I came after the long wait between books... I would have lost my mind waiting for the conclusion to the riddling contest!

i pretty much did.

Wuducynn
03-18-2008, 10:57 AM
Can't wait to hear what you think about the end what :rock:

Same here! :harrier:

John_and_Yoko
05-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Poor, poor Song of Susannah! I love this book and it is in my favorites in the series just below Wolves and I felt that it needed it's own fan thread! Come and give this book the love that it deserves! :huglove:

I loved it too, MORE than Wolves of the Calla! :D

Honestly, the last "favorite" volume I had was The Waste Lands, but once I started Wizard and Glass it was hard to choose....

But now Song of Susannah is my favorite! :) So much background, both of the Dark Tower mythology and the origin of the story in Stephen King's mind--and all in such a short volume (I started it the day before yesterday)!

I do, of course, realize the possibility that I'll like the final volume even more, but for now anyway, Volume VI is my favorite Dark Tower volume! :D

John_and_Yoko
05-09-2008, 09:03 PM
I liked the palaver moments--between Susannah and Mia, and between Roland, Eddie, and Stephen King.

So much background, and in so little a space--more than makes up for there only being twenty-four hours of action happening.... :D

Letti
05-09-2008, 11:04 PM
We have a real Song-lover here at last. :D

Wuducynn
05-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Gee...Ummmm I'm the one who started the freakin' thread, I don't count as a "real Song lover"?

Letti
05-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Gee...Ummmm I'm the one who started the freakin' thread, I don't count as a "real Song lover"?

You do.
You do. :D

I love it too but it's not my absolute favourite.

Letti
05-09-2008, 11:21 PM
I hoped to get more posts here. *sigh* I was sooo happy when I noticed it even if it's a coincidence. :)

Wuducynn
05-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Its not mine either. Like I said DT7 is. But so many list it as their least favorite of the series so I wanted a thread celebrating it.

Letti
05-09-2008, 11:23 PM
Its not mine either. Like I said DT7 is. But so many list it as their least favorite of the series so I wanted a thread celebrating it.

It's an amazing thread, Matthew. :rose:

Wuducynn
05-09-2008, 11:47 PM
You're being romantic, and silly and it probably is just a coincidence....and I love it. Its a very cute idea, like you're very cute. :huglove:

Wuducynn
05-09-2008, 11:50 PM
So much background, and in so little a space--more than makes up for there only being twenty-four hours of action happening.... :D

Very intense...hard to believe hunh?

Letti
05-10-2008, 12:05 AM
You are my hero. Thank you. :rose:

Brainslinger
05-11-2008, 08:01 AM
I liked the segments of the book surrounding Susannah and Mia. Loved learning more about the whole mythology of that world, and tying a few strings as to the origin of Mordred.

I also thought the character of Mia was interesting. I.e. she is a surprising 3 dimensional person, considering that she is a demon. (I.e. I tend to think of demons as evil, and just evil.) You could argue that was Susannah's influences on her, but even in the early days she showed signs of a less selfish side. Particularly the story of the baby she loved so much. She could probably have killed the parents and taken the baby for herself, but she put aside her own selfish interests for another being.

(Ok this is a bit off thread, but bear with me.) I wonder how that part of her personality, that of 'the mother', was installed in her? Was it just an anomaly? Was it something the other more powerful evil entities of the prim installed in her from the start believing she would be the surrogate mother of the creature who would destroy the tower? (I'm not convinced of that one but anyway.) Or was it something the order, Gan/the Tower placed in her?

Ok, no one has to reply to that here, as I know it's off thread. Just writing my thoughts as they occur.(I might create another thread on that subject, do you reckon that'd be interesting?)

Anyhow, back to thread- I also liked the Callahan/Jake segment of this book. I wasn't so keen on Jake turning into a little punk-ass with the driver though (I just can't stand rude people, albeit the driver was partly to blame.) The rest of it though, their appointment at the dixie pig, and the whole black 13 bit was really interesting. I really like the Callahan character too, and I think he really shone in that segment.

I remember some while back on DT.net, someone who didn't like Callahan much remembered Jake being the one who dealt with B13's mesmerizing influence in the hotel. I think that was fake selective memory myself. If you read it, it was Callahan who took control of that situation, fighting the urges placed on him by the Black with his belief in the White/God. I'm not belittling Jake, he was strong in other ways and in other areas. He was the one who took charge when gunslinging was involved, but credit where it's due, Callahan did the business where supernatural was involved, both Black 13, and the vampires later.

In some ways I think it was a shame more of the book wasn't devoted to Jake and Callahan's adventure, but I understand King writes what he see, and that might have involved a lot of filler.

Those are not the only parts of SOS I liked, but they really stand out.

Oh yeah, I agree, Harrigan was GREAT character.

Wuducynn
05-11-2008, 08:18 AM
I liked the segments of the book surrounding Susannah and Mia. Loved learning more about the whole mythology of that world, and tying a few strings as to the origin of Mordred.

:thumbsup: Hell yeah, some of my favorite parts there too.

I also thought the character of Mia was interesting. I.e. she is a surprising 3 dimensional person, considering that she is a demon. (I.e. I tend to think of demons as evil, and just evil.) You could argue that was Susannah's influences on her, but even in the early days she showed signs of a less selfish side. Particularly the story of the baby she loved so much. She could probably have killed the parents and taken the baby for herself, but she put aside her own selfish interests for another being.

Well "just evil" is very black and white and thats pretty rare in King's books which is nice. I'm not surprised by her having those feelings. I love the character of Mia. An intriguing, sad character indeed.

Anyhow, back to thread- I also liked the Callahan/Jake segment of this book. I wasn't so keen on Jake turning into a little punk-ass with the driver though (I just can't stand rude people, albeit the driver was partly to blame.) The rest of it though, their appointment at the dixie pig, and the whole black 13 bit was really interesting. I really like the Callahan character too, and I think he really shone in that segment.

I don't view Jake's reaction as "punk-ass" but as full of piss and vinegar like a gunslinger, which he is. This also is one of my favorite parts of this book. :thumbsup:

I remember some while back on DT.net, someone who didn't like Callahan much remembered Jake being the one who dealt with B13's mesmerizing influence in the hotel. I think that was fake selective memory myself. If you read it, it was Callahan who took control of that situation, fighting the urges placed on him by the Black with his belief in the White/God. I'm not belittling Jake, he was strong in other ways and in other areas. He was the one who took charge when gunslinging was involved, but credit where it's due, Callahan did the business where supernatural was involved, both Black 13, and the vampires later.

Yeah, I don't agree with whomever that was, and I seem to remember that post or thread. That scene was ALL Callahan...and one of my favorites too. Especially Black 13's description of what it wanted Callahan to do.

Oh yeah, I agree, Harrigan was GREAT character.

:thumbsup:

Letti
05-11-2008, 08:26 AM
My favourite part is when Rokand, Rosalita, Jake, Callahan and Eddie are playing some card game after the Beamquake.

Brainslinger
05-11-2008, 03:53 PM
That's an original one Letti! (Not meant in a negative way, original = good.)
What was it you like, particularly? The companionship? The whole atmosphere, after the quake etc? I actually quite like the companionable bits actually. Excitement is good, but the whole group thing just has a great atmosphere. It's also when you learn more too (story progression etc), what with munching the cud etc.

I don't view Jake's reaction as "punk-ass" but as full of piss and vinegar like a gunslinger, which he is. This also is one of my favorite parts of this book.
Yeah but gunslingers are supposed to be controlled aren't they? Not whipping out their gun at unarmed people and having a tantrum. For the very reason that they're killers with untrustworthy fingers, they have to be controlled.

Wuducynn
05-11-2008, 05:00 PM
He would still be considered an apprentice gunslinger, and as Roland says they're known to be fractious and quick to bite. You don't go almost running over Jake's pet billy-bumbler and expect to walk away without your undies filled up with shit.

Letti
05-11-2008, 10:09 PM
That's an original one Letti! (Not meant in a negative way, original = good.)
What was it you like, particularly? The companionship?

Just imagine. They have just had a new beamquake. The worlds are just about to break down to fall into todash and what do they do? They play with cards. It's very human-like. Really. They need to feel each other and they try to turn off their mind.

And at that part you can find one of my forever favourte quote:

He (Jake) looked at Roland and sent a thought, as clearly as he could: Roland, help us.
And one came back, filling his mind with cold comfort (ah, but comfort served cold was better than no comfort at all): If I can.

Unfound One
05-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Oh Letti, I love that quote. :)

Letti
05-11-2008, 10:17 PM
I think in that 3 words you can find Roland so much.

Empath of the White
05-17-2008, 08:18 PM
I'd have to say the last response, and the final verse at the end of the Writer's Coda. Talk about a cliffhanger. It really pumped me up for the last book.

Indigo_Seven
05-25-2008, 10:11 PM
When Eddie has to confront Tower, and he lets out his rage and his own personal demons.

ArtherEld
06-09-2008, 10:11 AM
When they meet Stephen King.

Letti
06-14-2008, 01:46 AM
When they meet Stephen King.

I love that part, too but first I was so confused that I couldn't enjoy it.

Tony_A
07-03-2008, 08:04 AM
In no particular order:

Meeting with King
Getting the deed to the lot
Susannah using the skolpadda
Jake and Callahan before entering Dixie Pig
Jake flipping out when they first entered NY and meeting Fr. Harrigan (who looks like Henchick)
Andolini getting bested again

Matt
07-03-2008, 08:17 AM
I did love to see Andolini getting his from Eddie in the past, it was a really cool moment.

Letti
07-04-2008, 01:13 AM
I loved to get know Mia's past. I found it really interesting and everything seemed so logical.

mia/susannah
07-04-2008, 05:14 AM
I loved to get know Mia's past. I found it really interesting and everything seemed so logical.

I agree, Mia is one of the characters in the book that totally fascinates me

Babymordred121
07-05-2008, 02:32 PM
It's sort of a little scene, but my favorite part of the book is the conversation via phone between Richard P. Sayer and Mia/Susannah. Sayer delivers the verbal equivalent of a bitch-slap every single time he speaks. For some reason, the concept of a villain whose name sounds like something off a business card just seems kick-ass to me, especially when he's the freakiest and most manipulative character in the whole book.
He isn't just Sayer. He's not Richard Sayer. He's not even Richard Patrick Sayer. He's Richard P. Sayer, with a middle initial of P.
Only REAL men keep a middle initial of P. Men who know they're cool and don't even have to try at it.

Wuducynn
07-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Or Richard P. Sayre even!

theBeamisHome
07-25-2008, 12:41 PM
I LOVE SoS!! The backstory and like how Jean said it's like TDOTT all over again because the tet is trying to get back together.... and how they get back together. King was a sly dog putting himself in like that lol. This ranks among my three favorites, the other two being The Drawing of the Three and The Wastelands..... Maybe the Dark Tower also, but that one just made me so sad... W&G is my least favorite... *gag*

Wuducynn
07-30-2008, 06:47 AM
A lady of impeccable taste. :harrier:

Empath of the White
09-25-2008, 06:16 AM
Even though I have said there were some aspects of the book I did not care for, I did like the very The Empire Strikes Back feel that the book had. I've always enjoyed seeing the good guys have separated and racing against time to stop an impending apocalypse. Also, the Dixie Pig scenes were very morbid and we finally got to see some vampires.

Wuducynn
11-23-2008, 07:33 AM
I've always enjoyed seeing the good guys have separated and racing against time to stop an impending apocalypse. Also, the Dixie Pig scenes were very morbid and we finally got to see some vampires.

I agree with you completely. One of the things I love about the book was the breakneck pace with so much meaningful events in it. I feel like I have to take deep breaths at certain parts.

Wuducynn
11-23-2008, 07:37 AM
One of the parts of the book that really got to me was Susannah's vision with the names of these folk being dead.

Whitey Appleseed
01-14-2009, 04:29 AM
I'm still not done with the re-read...liked the scene with Mia and Susannah on the allure...Mia, "great men of thought...deduction--these came together and created the machines which run the beams." And now the Breakers are hell bent on going along to get along, bust the beams, burn down the house. Theorizing diaspora adjudicating hybridity, when nothing could be further from the truth...and the link to Lisey's Story is intriguing...hyenas, jackals.

Sickrose
01-15-2010, 12:01 PM
i have just finished my re-read and the first time i didint like the mia-susannah storyline. I have changed my mind it is really good and I guess it does make sense that she would fall prey to this again but the book is so much more than that. It all seems so hopeless after they get blown through the door and it is really tense waiting for the tet get back together.

I LOVED the lead up to the Dixie Pig scene.

So much happens and so much is revealed. The break neck speed suits the idea of it all ending as Roland says to Eddie. He feels the tower is close.

I loved Stephen King and the whole breaking the 4th wall thing - i liked the affect it has as you read it.

I also think Mia is an intruging character as well.

Wuducynn
12-24-2011, 10:03 PM
i have just finished my re-read and the first time i didint like the mia-susannah storyline. I have changed my mind it is really good and I guess it does make sense that she would fall prey to this again but the book is so much more than that. It all seems so hopeless after they get blown through the door and it is really tense waiting for the tet get back together.

I LOVED the lead up to the Dixie Pig scene.

So much happens and so much is revealed. The break neck speed suits the idea of it all ending as Roland says to Eddie. He feels the tower is close.

I loved Stephen King and the whole breaking the 4th wall thing - i liked the affect it has as you read it.

I also think Mia is an intruging character as well.

Right on.

Cland1931
06-01-2016, 09:02 PM
I LOVE SoS!! The backstory and like how Jean said it's like TDOTT all over again because the tet is trying to get back together.... and how they get back together. King was a sly dog putting himself in like that lol. This ranks among my three favorites, the other two being The Drawing of the Three and The Wastelands..... Maybe the Dark Tower also, but that one just made me so sad... W&G is my least favorite... *gag*

I love this song very much and i hope this song is very beautiful

Deaf&Dumb
03-20-2018, 09:33 PM

I am reading through the series, yet again, I always look forward to SoS. If I could simply not read WaG, my life would be much easier, and my rereads that much quicker.