PDA

View Full Version : In Through The Out Door and back again

VastOne
08-28-2008, 04:19 PM
Although wild, I was well known among the colonial Americans

Though known quite well by First-Nations people of Canada, I am not northern in nature

It is known that I am a killer of two mortal enemies of mankind

I have been known and sat in other cartel's

A certain Boss had me immortalized in one of the largest land mass area's known.

Too much and you will pay a heavy toll at a certain alter

What am I?

razz
08-28-2008, 04:23 PM
corn? beans?

VastOne
08-28-2008, 04:25 PM
Nope...

Razz, do you know how I determine who is a Manager of a folder or location such as End World?

leaveittobeezer
08-28-2008, 04:25 PM
whiskey?

VastOne
08-28-2008, 04:26 PM
whiskey?

Nada Beez

razz
08-28-2008, 04:26 PM
not a clue

alinda
08-28-2008, 04:28 PM
mushrooms

*about us*

Begin on Home Page

» Navigation
Hot Stuff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Community
Links Directory
Palaver
About Us *****(right here)*****

NemelChelovek
08-28-2008, 04:43 PM
My initial guess, and I'm not 100% satisfied, is Washington, DC.

At the time of Britain's colonization of America, the DC area was naturally quite wild; First-Nations people in Canada could relate via the French and Indian War, though that's a bit of a stretch; the "two mortal enemies of mankind" could potentially be slavery and Nazism (though slavery still exists and Nazism was by no means toppled by the US alone); other cartels could include the League of Nations and the UN, as well as the Allied Forces and the Coalition of the Willing; Alexander "Boss" Shepherd is famous for getting the Territory Act of 1871 to pass, giving DC its own governance/representation. The clue I'm unsure of is the last one, though I suppose it could refer to taxation? Once again, I'm not entirely satisfied with this answer, but it's the best I got right now.

Is the "Boss" in question, at least, Boss Shepherd? Or is it perhaps Boss Tweed of Tammany Hall?

VastOne
08-28-2008, 05:02 PM
My initial guess, and I'm not 100% satisfied, is Washington, DC.

At the time of Britain's colonization of America, the DC area was naturally quite wild; First-Nations people in Canada could relate via the French and Indian War, though that's a bit of a stretch; the "two mortal enemies of mankind" could potentially be slavery and Nazism (though slavery still exists and Nazism was by no means toppled by the US alone); other cartels could include the League of Nations and the UN, as well as the Allied Forces and the Coalition of the Willing; Alexander "Boss" Shepherd is famous for getting the Territory Act of 1871 to pass, giving DC its own governance/representation. The clue I'm unsure of is the last one, though I suppose it could refer to taxation? Once again, I'm not entirely satisfied with this answer, but it's the best I got right now.

Is the "Boss" in question, at least, Boss Shepherd? Or is it perhaps Boss Tweed of Tammany Hall?

Great deductions Nemel, but no on all points

VastOne
08-28-2008, 05:03 PM
mushrooms

*about us*

Begin on Home Page

» Navigation
Hot Stuff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Community
Links Directory
Palaver
About Us *****(right here)*****

Sweet Alinda,

No on the shrooms, good guess though.

And I found Randall and he set me me up

TYVM Luv

razz
08-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Indians/ native Americans?

leaveittobeezer
08-28-2008, 05:54 PM
peyote?

VastOne
08-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Indians/ native Americans?

No Sir

VastOne
08-28-2008, 06:12 PM
peyote?

No beezer

leaveittobeezer
08-28-2008, 06:13 PM
is the boss you are referring to Springsteen?

VastOne
08-28-2008, 06:18 PM
is the boss you are referring to Springsteen?

No sir, but a clue is that he is real

leaveittobeezer
08-28-2008, 06:36 PM
poppy perhaps? (Martial Boss-artist known for Greenlandic wildlife sketches, one in specific being the arctic poppy) a bit of a stretch, but what the heck

VastOne
08-28-2008, 06:37 PM
poppy perhaps? (Martial Boss-artist known for Greenlandic wildlife sketches, one in specific being the arctic poppy) a bit of a stretch, but what the heck

Good try, but not quite...

NemelChelovek
08-28-2008, 07:12 PM
Is the answer...a goose?

VastOne
08-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Is the answer...a goose?

Not a goose

Jon
08-29-2008, 12:23 AM
The spider or scorpion in the Nazca lines?

The land mass is the Nazca Desert?

razz
08-29-2008, 05:36 AM
tobacco?

VastOne
08-29-2008, 07:24 AM
The spider or scorpion in the Nazca lines?

The land mass is the Nazca Desert?

Not Nazca or any type of a critter.

The land mass is in our domain and is considered rich and a-lone.

VastOne
08-29-2008, 07:26 AM
tobacco?

Not tobacco Razz...but known as long as tobacco to the colonials.

B Rag
08-29-2008, 08:04 AM
Money!

VastOne
08-29-2008, 08:09 AM
Money!

Parts of me are green, but not Money B Rag

alinda
08-29-2008, 09:41 AM
marijuana ? :wtf:

VastOne
08-29-2008, 09:51 AM

Gasp....:scared:

Not the silly weed my dear....

Rjeso
08-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Turkey?

VastOne
08-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Turkey?

Not the bird or the country Laura

:P

alinda
08-29-2008, 10:31 AM

Gasp....:scared:

Not the silly weed my dear....

Thank goodness!! :pirate:

NemelChelovek
08-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Does "one of the largest land mass areas known" refer to Greenland?

alinda
08-29-2008, 01:13 PM
Greenlands part green :excited:

VastOne
08-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Does "one of the largest land mass areas known" refer to Greenland?

No, it refers to somewhere closer to home....

VastOne
08-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Greenlands part green :excited:

:clap:

:dance:

:doh:

NemelChelovek
08-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Does that section perhaps refer to Alaska?

VastOne
08-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Does that section perhaps refer to Alaska?

No, but you are in the right...."neighborhood"

leaveittobeezer
08-29-2008, 04:33 PM
are you referring to the Yukon Territory & Chief Jim Boss?

lol not that i have the slightest clue how that fits with everything else, but is that at least a step in the right direction?

NemelChelovek
08-29-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm not fully satisfied with this answer, either, as it doesn't satisfy the "part of me is green" condition, but I'm going to throw "gold" out there as a guess just because I'd feel dumb if that was the answer and I didn't throw it out there.

VastOne
08-29-2008, 08:22 PM
are you referring to the Yukon Territory & Chief Jim Boss?

lol not that i have the slightest clue how that fits with everything else, but is that at least a step in the right direction?

No sir Mr Beezer....

The "in the neighborhood" refers to one of the 50 stars.....

VastOne
08-29-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm not fully satisfied with this answer, either, as it doesn't satisfy the "part of me is green" condition, but I'm going to throw "gold" out there as a guess just because I'd feel dumb if that was the answer and I didn't throw it out there.

Not gold...

Will through this hint bone out....

Considered a southern delicacy but loved almost everywhere

leaveittobeezer
08-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Are you a prickly pear? They are found primarily in the southwest, but can be found as far north as Canada. The prickly pear is commonly used in sweet treats and jellies. The prickly pea cactus is the state cactus of Texas (if indeed Texas is what you were referring to in the Boss clue). The prickly pear is also known as an Indian fig, and if they react to my digetstive tract like regular figs do, then it could be said that I would pay a heavy toll at the porcelain altar.

Possibly a stretch, but I'm running out of ideas here.

VastOne
08-30-2008, 06:34 PM
Are you a prickly pear? They are found primarily in the southwest, but can be found as far north as Canada. The prickly pear is commonly used in sweet treats and jellies. The prickly pea cactus is the state cactus of Texas (if indeed Texas is what you were referring to in the Boss clue). The prickly pear is also known as an Indian fig, and if they react to my digetstive tract like regular figs do, then it could be said that I would pay a heavy toll at the porcelain altar.

Possibly a stretch, but I'm running out of ideas here.

No to the pear, but Texas is correct in the Boss clue...

Keep on this track Beez, and you will succeed

leaveittobeezer
08-30-2008, 06:57 PM
Was the Boss you referred to "Boss" Frank Pinkley?

VastOne
08-30-2008, 07:16 PM
Was the Boss you referred to "Boss" Frank Pinkley?

No sire...

this boss is more on the "stuck" side and related in a very ambiguous way to a long ago TV icon

leaveittobeezer
08-30-2008, 07:49 PM

Though known quite well by First-Nations people of Canada, I am not northern in nature

A certain Boss had me immortalized in one of the largest land mass area's known.

Too much and you will pay a heavy toll at a certain alter

What am I?

bump

NemelChelovek
08-30-2008, 10:41 PM
The only television related Boss I can think of who's involved in the south would be Boss Hogg from the Dukes of Hazzard, but I don't think that took place in Texas.

VastOne
08-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Boss "Hogg" is the ambiguous relation to the Boss in Texas

NemelChelovek
08-31-2008, 02:01 AM
Well the "Boss" in question must be Gov. Jim Hogg. As he was instrumental in getting the Democratic Party into office in Texas in his day, is the answer democracy by chance? Once again, not quite satisfied, but it's the best guess I've got.

Jon
08-31-2008, 03:02 AM
Well the "Boss" in question must be Gov. Jim Hogg. As he was instrumental in getting the Democratic Party into office in Texas in his day, is the answer democracy by chance? Once again, not quite satisfied, but it's the best guess I've got.

Better than mine!

leaveittobeezer
08-31-2008, 09:19 AM
is it the pecan? Hogg proclaimed the pecan as Texas's state tree. Pecan pie is huge in the south. Not sure how the pecan is the killer of 2 mortal enemies of mankind or how it is connected with any sort of cartel, but this is the best I can come up with at this time.

VastOne
08-31-2008, 09:55 AM
is it the pecan? Hogg proclaimed the pecan as Texas's state tree. Pecan pie is huge in the south. Not sure how the pecan is the killer of 2 mortal enemies of mankind or how it is connected with any sort of cartel, but this is the best I can come up with at this time.

:rose: :thumbsup::dance::nana:

Well done Beez...You are a true master at these...

I got this idea for the riddle because a strong wind knocked down a single branch on a massive pecan tree in my yard and as that branch fell from the top, 8 more joined it causing me a hell of a mess.

Here is the explanations: Straight from the Wiki page on Pecans.

In Through The Out Door and back again

Although wild pecans were well-known among the colonial Americans as a delicacy

"Pecan" is from an Algonquian word, meaning a nut requiring a stone to crack = the particular Algonquian language spoken by certain First-Nations people of Canada

Clinical research published in the Journal of Nutrition (September 2001) found that eating about a handful of pecans each day may help lower cholesterol levels similar to what is often seen with cholesterol-lowering medications. Research conducted at the University of Georgia has also confirmed that pecans contain plant sterols, which are known for their cholesterol-lowering ability.

Texas Pecan Growers Association = Union ...Union definition includes Cartel.. had to have a little bit of a stretch/curve.....

In 1906, Texas Governor James Stephen Hogg made the Pecan tree the state tree of Texas. The story goes that Hogg had a Pecan tree planted at his grave instead of a traditional headstone, requesting that the nuts be distributed throughout the state to make Texas a "Land of Trees"

Too much and you will pay a heavy toll at a certain alter.

That alter being the toilet....Pecans are known to run right through people if you eat too much :blush:

What am I?

Pecan

Jon
08-31-2008, 07:33 PM

Clinical research published in the Journal of Nutrition (September 2001) found that eating about a handful of pecans each day may help lower cholesterol levels similar to what is often seen with cholesterol-lowering medications. Research conducted at the University of Georgia has also confirmed that pecans contain plant sterols, which are known for their cholesterol-lowering ability.

This seems to be the same SINGLE killer. Cholesterol

VastOne
08-31-2008, 10:34 PM

This seems to be the same SINGLE killer. Cholesterol

As I said this entire knowledge can be found on the wiki page, but here it is

"This nut is an important source of ellagic acid. Pecan nuts are a good low fat source of vitamin E and also have anti-cancer effects.

NemelChelovek
09-01-2008, 12:52 AM
The "other cartels" one still doesn't make sense to me. The answer and the clue don't really seem that related, and the clue on its own definitely doesn't indicate the Texas Pecan Growers' Association over any other possible "cartel." I guess basically what I'm saying is, how was the aspiring riddle-solver to get "Texas Pecan Growers' Association" from "I have been known and sat in other cartels?"

VastOne
09-01-2008, 12:50 PM
The "other cartels" one still doesn't make sense to me. The answer and the clue don't really seem that related, and the clue on its own definitely doesn't indicate the Texas Pecan Growers' Association over any other possible "cartel." I guess basically what I'm saying is, how was the aspiring riddle-solver to get "Texas Pecan Growers' Association" from "I have been known and sat in other cartels?"

Texas Pecan Growers Association = Union ...Union definition includes Cartel.. had to have a little bit of a stretch/curve.....

alinda
09-01-2008, 01:03 PM
good riddle :clap:

NemelChelovek
09-01-2008, 02:31 PM
I read that, VastOne, but I don't understand how I would possibly be able to get "Pecan Growers Association" from "cartel." The clue doesn't have anything about it that specifically indicates this particular cartel; it just indicates an association of some kind, somewhere. The wording makes it seem like I'm looking for a particular member of this cartel, rather than what the cartel represents. The other clues were fine, but I think this one was actually kind of a distraction from the answer itself.

VastOne
09-01-2008, 03:00 PM
I read that, VastOne, but I don't understand how I would possibly be able to get "Pecan Growers Association" from "cartel." The clue doesn't have anything about it that specifically indicates this particular cartel; it just indicates an association of some kind, somewhere. The wording makes it seem like I'm looking for a particular member of this cartel, rather than what the cartel represents. The other clues were fine, but I think this one was actually kind of a distraction from the answer itself.

My first one and what can I say? You got the answer anyway and I will try to get better.

As I tried to say, Union definition includes cartel, so I threw that curve in there as a stretch.

I'll try to take some riddle lessons before I try again

Jon
09-01-2008, 10:34 PM

My first one and what can I say? You got the answer anyway and I will try to get better.

As I tried to say, Union definition includes cartel, so I threw that curve in there as a stretch.

I'll try to take some riddle lessons before I try again

Don't sweat it man or woman. It was a fine riddle. I understand both questions now. I understand how a union can be a cartel. It is called an "artistic licence." We all have one if we have even viewed a post in riddles...and we all use it often in writing a riddle.

And yes my Russian friend, when I saw the word "cartel," "union" was one of three things that came to mind. (I reckon I should have posted that...sorry.)
Nemel is just having a bad day...aren't you sweetie??!!:rose:

NemelChelovek
09-02-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm having a fine day :p I merely perceived a potential stumbling block in the riddle and was trying to help him/her/it/them in the case of future riddling endeavors.

Jon
09-02-2008, 11:37 PM
Yeah...we all need help sometimes. Text is a shitty way to convey emotion (or lack thereof.)