PDA

View Full Version : PEMDAS: the Mnemonics Thread

theBeamisHome
08-28-2008, 05:04 AM
In the spelling thread we started talking about methods used to remember concepts and rules... Jean suggested we start a mnemonics thread so I have!!

So any helpful ones that you know and some maybe that you made up... if you need help remembering a rule for something this is the perfect place to ask!

Come one come all.

P.S.: someone should move the mnemonics from the spelling thread to this one :D

Jean
08-28-2008, 05:09 AM
The order of planets in the Solar System! I adore this one, because first, I could never remember them, and next, it still keeps Pluto as a planet, which is right!

my very energetic mother just sent us nine pies

Mercury Venus Earth Mars Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune Pluto

P.S.: someone should move the mnemonics from the spelling thread to this one
I will when I'm back, in about a half-hour

Brice
08-28-2008, 05:19 AM
What if we forget where this thread is...or even that there is such a thread? :unsure: First we need a mnemonic device for that. :lol:

theBeamisHome
08-28-2008, 05:19 AM
mathematical order of operations:

PEMDAS (i think i learned it this way because i was in a school on a military base and the military is all about acronyms)
Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subraction

Jean
08-28-2008, 05:21 AM
I actually think we should leave spelling-and-grammar mnemonics where they are, because in those threads they are important, too, and keep this thread just for all assorted mnemonics, like the ones that follow (so maybe we could think of a less spelling-biases title?). I didn't copy or move those posts here in order not to fuck up the chronology.

t/song posted:

30 days hath september, april, june, and november; all the rest have 31. save february which is all fucked up

Jon posted:

The months can be listed on and between each nuckle of both hands placed in a fist and put together. When you switch fists (July and August) you have two consecutive months with 31 days.

Jean
08-28-2008, 05:24 AM
What if we forget where this thread is...or even that there is such a thread? :unsure: First we need a mnemonic device for that. :lol:
We don't need another device. We have a bear. He is a big, furry mnemonic device in his forums.

Brice
08-28-2008, 05:25 AM
:lol:

theBeamisHome
08-28-2008, 05:30 AM
ok... ummm... well we can use PEMDAS.... it's a short enough mnemonic.. just keep the "the Mnemonics thread" part.

ManOfWesternesse
08-28-2008, 05:33 AM
Ring Out Your Great Bells In Victory!

.... the major colours of a Rainbow, in order.

Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo and Violet.

Jean
08-28-2008, 05:34 AM
well we can use PEMDAS

I think it's great! For those who don't know what it is about, it sounds very intriguing, and slightly obscene, like FUBAR http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wink-1.gif

I will edit the thread title, if you don't mind? http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_flower.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_flower.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_flower.gif

Brice
08-28-2008, 05:35 AM
An old simple one for remembering multiplying by nines. Wite 0-9 in a column, then write 9-0 in a column, and you have your nine times tables up to 10.

Jean
08-28-2008, 05:39 AM

Fantastic! We have a rainbow line, too, it translates "Every hunter wants to know where pheasant is sitting" (Каждый охотник желает знать, где сидит фазан)

Tiffany
08-28-2008, 05:39 AM
We used FOIL in high-school algebra. First, outside, inside, last.

And I used to have to rely on Never Eat Shredded Wheat when I was younger but now it helps more if I think about what city is to the west or east or north or south.

theBeamisHome
08-28-2008, 05:47 AM
thanks Jean!
and i always knew the rainbow one like the rainbow has a name. his name is Roy G. Biv. i always thought Biv was a weird last name, but i always remembered it.

also the music one...
Every Good Boy Does Fine.. for the lines and..
FACE.. for the spaces.

Daghain
08-28-2008, 09:50 AM
PEMDAS...Please excuse my dear Aunt Sally. :)

And yeah, I use Roy G. Biv too.

Daghain
08-28-2008, 09:50 AM
PEMDAS...Please excuse my dear Aunt Sally. :)

And yeah, I use Roy G. Biv too.

theBeamisHome
08-28-2008, 09:55 AM
i knew it was something about my dear Aunt Sally...

VastOne
08-28-2008, 11:11 AM
I always liked this one from my beertending days

Sex on the Beach

Very Pretty Orgasmic Chick: Vodka, Peach Schnapps, Orange Juice, Cranberry Juice

theBeamisHome
08-28-2008, 11:58 AM
that's great!!! now i know what's in it! i'll never forget that :lol:

Matt
08-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Real Beautiful Babes Should Freak by Headlights

The order of injury during first response

Responsiveness, Breathing, Bleeding, Shock, Fracture, Head Injury (concussion)

This one I made up for biology to remember the the classifications for all life

Keep Punching Cattle Only Free Geese Survive

Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species

:thumbsup:

Jean
08-28-2008, 09:56 PM
Keep Punching Cattle Only Free Geese Survive

Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species

:thumbsup:
at last the bear has gotten a chance to remember that! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

Darkthoughts
08-29-2008, 02:30 AM

Fantastic! We have a rainbow line, too, it translates "Every hunter wants to know where pheasant is sitting" (Каждый охотник желает знать, где сидит фазан)
We say, Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain.

And I used to have to rely on Never Eat Shredded Wheat when I was younger but now it helps more if I think about what city is to the west or east or north or south.
I always used the Shredded Wheat one, but my friend says, Naughty Elephants Squirt Water.

also the music one...
FACE.. for the spaces.
We learnt FACE, but Every Good Boy Deserves Favour for the lines, although now my son tells me they say Football instead of favour :D

ManOfWesternesse
08-29-2008, 02:44 AM

We say, Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain.

That rings a bell! (:P pun intended). I've heard that before from English cousins.

Darkthoughts
08-29-2008, 02:52 AM
:lol: Off with his head!

Jon
08-31-2008, 01:01 AM
The order of planets in the Solar System! I adore this one, because first, I could never remember them, and next, it still keeps Pluto as a planet, which is right!

I second that!!

razz
08-31-2008, 03:52 AM
An old simple one for remembering multiplying by nines. Wite 0-9 in a column, then write 9-0 in a column, and you have your nine times tables up to 10.

i don't know if this counts, but
i didn't learn it like that. i learned to hold your hands out. and for example if you need 7x9, put the sevent finger down. the fingers to the left are the terns, and fingers to the right are ones therefor 7x9=63

gsvec
08-31-2008, 01:12 PM
also the music one...
FACE.. for the spaces.

That's for the treble clef - for the bass clef, it's All Cars Eat Gas (or All Cows Eat Grass) for the spaces and Good Boys Do Fine Always for the lines.

And another one for the lines on the treble clef: Empty Garbage Before Dad Flips!

Brice
09-21-2008, 03:55 AM
The Cadeic Cadenza by Mike Keith contains the sequence of Pi up to 3, 840 digits.

http://users.aol.com/s6sj7gt/cadtext.htm

The means of figuring digits is based on the number of letters in each word. For example:

One=3
A=1
Poem=4
A=1
raven=5
midnights=9
...etcetera

Poems that represent pi are called piems and the art is called Piphilology. It uses mnemonic techniques in poetry to represent the numeric sequence in pi. The above example is the best example of this, I believe.

alinda
09-21-2008, 04:09 AM
Life is so mathmatical