PDA

View Full Version : King Rejoins The Rock Bottom Remainders, NYC on Friday, GMA on Thursday

Randall Flagg
05-29-2007, 03:19 PM
According to Bev Vincent:

It's been 15 years since the Rock Bottom Remainders, the self-described "musically challenged" band of literary luminaries, premiered at the American Booksellers Association trade show in Anaheim, Calif. To mark that musical watershed event, Stephen King, after a five-year absence, will join bandmates Dave Barry, Amy Tan, Ridley Pearson, Scott Turow, Mitch Albom and others for the 15th anniversary "Still Younger Than Keith" concert June 1, 9 p.m., at Webster Hall in New York City. The night's lineup includes appearances of past members, guests (Frank McCourt and Andy Borowitz among them) and Roger McGuinn from the Byrds.

The concert is a benefit for 826NYC, the New York affiliate of the organization Dave Eggers founded to get kids writing; the AAP's Get Caught Reading program; and the American Booksellers Foundation for Free Expression. On May 31, some of the RBR band members will be appearing on Good Morning America to talk up the charities the band is supporting. Over the years, the Remainders have hired a manager and raised more than $1.6 million for charities.

Spencer
05-30-2007, 04:56 AM
AWESOME!

Are there any recordings of them in concert?

She-Oy
05-30-2007, 08:29 AM
Has anyone read Amy Tan's take on joining the band? There's an essay about the whole experience in "The Opposite of Fate". She made it sound like the greatest, most fun thing in the world...and I'm sure it is. I really would love to see them live, but I'm a far cry from NYC.

Matt
05-30-2007, 08:31 AM
I wish I could see them as well, I would do it just for King.

I don't figure they will ever get out to the midwest though. :(

Also, this bit of news is posted on the page

Ruki
05-30-2007, 08:36 AM
i doubt i'll ever get to see them but it's a fun thing to dream about.

spence, i've never found a cd but there are old videos of them floating around on amazon.

Brice
05-30-2007, 08:39 AM
I wish they'd tour again. I have just finished the book they did.

BlakeMP
05-30-2007, 09:23 AM
I don't think the Remainders themselves ever put out a CD, but if you can find it, there's a CD out there called "Stranger Than Fiction," which is songs by famous writers including King, Dave Barry and Amy Tan, as well as a lot of others such as Leonard Maltin, Digby Diehl, Walter M. Maynes and (no foolin') Maya Angelou.

Brice
05-31-2007, 02:53 AM
Oh, I'd forgot they did those. There are some on ebay now. I just ordered a copy. :D

ErinPatricia
05-31-2007, 03:54 PM
Blake made me a CD with 2 songs sung by King on it.

They are....interesting to say the least.

Its a good thing he chose author over singer :lol:

Spencer
05-31-2007, 08:23 PM
I don't think the Remainders themselves ever put out a CD, but if you can find it, there's a CD out there called "Stranger Than Fiction," which is songs by famous writers including King, Dave Barry and Amy Tan, as well as a lot of others such as Leonard Maltin, Digby Diehl, Walter M. Maynes and (no foolin') Maya Angelou.

I'll definitely get one of those.

CRinVA
06-01-2007, 02:15 PM
I've seen the Remainders perform twice - totall awesome show. they are definitely showmen, they have a ton of fun performing.

Barry rocks on Proofreading Woman, Mitch Albom is awesome performing Jailhouse Rock; the quiet and reserved Amy Tan comes out sexy as hell for These Boots are Made for Walking; King sings (appropriately) Stand By Me and proves to the world that it's a good thing he never quit his day job! He also was lead on Teen Angel and all the band membes come out with little angel halos on but before the song ended one of hte band member's wives comes out dressed as Carrie White all dressed in white with blood splattered everywhere.

Having a ringer in the band always helps; first time out I got to see Warren Zevon perform and that man rocked the world (rip Warren); and second time out Roger McGuinn was totally awesome - I grew up listening to him and the Byrds singing Turn, Turn, Turn!

I wish I could have made tonight's performance - just too too much fun to be had!