PDA

View Full Version : If Steve died, Joe was to finish the Series

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-22-2008, 06:11 AM
From the Mod at SKMB

"It doesn't surprise me. When Steve was writing the last 3 Dark Tower books, he had given me instructions to turn the manuscript over to Joe to finish if anything should happen to him."

Now, I wonder how Joe would have ended it.

What do you think?

Ricky
08-22-2008, 06:19 AM
If we're going to discuss the ending of the series, could we possiblt put a SPOILER tag in the thread title in case other members come in here and haven't finished the series? :)

funky dredd
08-22-2008, 06:31 AM
I won't speculate how Joe would have ended it. But I love Joe's work and I think he would have done it justice.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
08-22-2008, 06:47 AM
If we're going to discuss the ending of the series, could we possiblt put a SPOILER tag in the thread title in case other members come in here and haven't finished the series? :)

We don't need a spoiler warning. It's hypothetical. Stephen King died and didn't finish it. There's nothing to spoil. :evil:

Brice
08-22-2008, 06:48 AM
Good point! I don't think we need it either.

razz
08-22-2008, 06:48 AM
:lol:
true. but i don't think roland would have repeated everything over and over
okay, there are spoilers

Brice
08-22-2008, 06:51 AM
I think if King left it to Joe he likely would have left some guidelines as to which way he wanted the story to go...at least to some degree.

jayson
08-22-2008, 06:53 AM
He didn't have an outline for himself, why would he have made one for Joe? :evil:

Perhaps Joe would have re-read the books that were written to date and would have kept the original continuity instead of tossing it aside like his dad did.

Matt
08-22-2008, 06:53 AM
Unless it was very sudden (as it very well may have been)...it would have been interesting to see what Joe did with it.

Brice
08-22-2008, 06:55 AM
I think he should still right his version just so I can see the difference. :D

alinda
08-22-2008, 07:02 AM
What a good idea Brice, lets ask him to write one for us!! :couple:

razz
08-22-2008, 07:02 AM
so how does that work then. he knows how it goes. so we hit him in the head, tell him Stephen died in 1999 and he has to finish the books?

Brice
08-22-2008, 07:06 AM
Basically...yes! :lol:

razz
08-22-2008, 07:10 AM
sweet. cricket bat? they can take down a zombie, i'm sure it can take down 9 years of memory. :lol:

KaLikeAWheel
08-22-2008, 07:14 AM
Don't get me wrong, I like Joe as an author, and I think he would have done a good enough job with it, but the "voice" of his work is completely different than his father's, and Steve's "voice," is what I love about his work. It's the reason I re-read his work over and over again; because I love slipping into a story with that familiar sound and feel. It would be like Julian Lennon finishing some long lost work of John Lennon's. It might be a good song, and you might be able to dance to it, but it would never be as good as John could have done it. As much as I would have hated to have the story left unfinished, I don't think I could have brought myself to read any Tower books that hadn't been written by Steve himself. In fact, I had a knee-jerk reaction to the title of this thread that was bordering on horror. :panic: I can see, though, where having Joe finish the story would be a good idea for Tower fans who don't agree with me.

Donna

Aaron
08-22-2008, 10:51 AM
He didn't have an outline for himself, why would he have made one for Joe? :evil:

Perhaps Joe would have re-read the books that were written to date and would have kept the original continuity instead of tossing it aside like his dad did.

King may not have had an outline, but he has said for years that he knew how it ultimately ended, and we also can't forget the revisions made to The Gunslinger that also worked toward that end. So I think the main point of the ending would have been the same, but I'm sure how the reader got there would be vastly different.

MrQuint
09-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Maybe he would have replaced the EEEEEEEEEEE with an OOOOOOOOOOO or an AAAAAAAAAAAA

Jackie
09-26-2008, 03:33 PM
That would have intresting to see how we would have got to the dark tower, but im sure glad our Sai King lived to write it himself

Brice
09-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Just for curiosity I wish Joe would write his version too. It'd be interesting to see what he'd do with it.

Jackie
09-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Yea i was going to say that too brice, like an alternet ending Joe Hill style:cool:

MrQuint
09-26-2008, 03:42 PM
What I really wonder is how would the series have ended if not for the the accident in 1999?
To be honest, I was disappointed with the the events that started in the epilogue of WotC.

ErinPatricia
09-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Maybe Flagg would not have been such a let down

razz
09-26-2008, 06:37 PM
I hear that!

Randall Flagg
09-26-2008, 07:04 PM
Just for curiosity I wish Joe would write his version too. It'd be interesting to see what he'd do with it.
Great thought but whatever Joe would write now (with King alive) might be very different than what he would write posthumous to Stephen Kings demise.

Brice
09-27-2008, 04:40 AM
True, I just thought it would be interesting to see what he'd do with it. Of course, I seriously doubt that would ever happen.

Darkthoughts
09-27-2008, 05:08 AM
Mr Quint!!! :o

Wow! Where have you been?!! :huglove: