PDA

View Full Version : Following your Dreams

Matt
08-20-2008, 11:23 AM
I always dreamed of being a stand up comedian. My whole life I have tried to come up with and memorize routines that I could someday do but I had kids and a job and stuff....never really worked out.

Now I'm a grandpa and getting old. I am coming to the point where I say I either gotta try this or give up.

So I'm going to drag Dora (and hopefully Aaron and Hannah...plus whoever else on the front range wants to come) to an open mic comedy night and just do it. :panic:

Anyone else ever thought of doing whatever it takes to follow a dream?

VastOne
08-20-2008, 11:30 AM
I too am a Gramps now, yet still with a 12 and 16 year old still doing great keeping me young...

As I teach them the great game of golf that I played so well in my younger years, I feel the need to get back on my goal of Senior Golf....

In the 2 years until I reach 50, one of two things will happen...I will have practiced and honed my skills back into playing level, or I will be carrying one of my childrens bag on whatever tournament or tour they are on!

Vicariously or not, I will succeed!

VastOne
:rose:

jayson
08-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Firstly, good luck with your dream Matt. I could see it - you're a funny guy.

As for myself, I have an unfinished screenplay that I really would love to get around to finishing. It got buried in a trunk with all my old writing years ago when I had things like school and finding a real job to worry about, but at some point it would be great if I could find the time to dig it up and try to finish the thing. I hold no delusions that it would necessarily get made, but you never really know until you try.

kirin
08-20-2008, 11:40 AM
Firstly, good luck with your dream Matt. I could see it - you're a funny guy.

As for myself, I have an unfinished screenplay that I really would love to get around to finishing. It got buried in a trunk with all my old writing years ago when I had things like school and finding a real job to worry about, but at some point it would be great if I could find the time to dig it up and try to finish the thing. I hold no delusions that it would necessarily get made, but you never really know until you try.

thats true you should definitely finish that screenplay who knows it could make you rich then you could lend me some money :P

Matt
08-20-2008, 11:40 AM
I say to each of you to do it however you can...start sending out, try out for the tour, whatever you have to do.

I believe Dora is going to film a piece of my routine and put it on youtube, I'll post a link. :idea:

Daghain
08-20-2008, 11:43 AM
I'd still like to write that novel.

Guess I'd better get cracking!

Matt
08-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Do it! Do it! Do it now!! :lol:

So will you come to see me if I do an open mic on your side of the mountains Daggers?

jayson
08-20-2008, 12:18 PM
My one piece of advice to you Matt is this... be funnier than Joe Collins. :)

Matt
08-20-2008, 12:20 PM
I'm funnier than that with an intestinal infection. :D

Daghain
08-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Do it! Do it! Do it now!! :lol:

So will you come to see me if I do an open mic on your side of the mountains Daggers?

You bet!

alinda
08-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Ok, don't laugh, but I wanted to be a medical examiner, I've been to the morgue at our hospital on more than one occasion, and I have no desire to go back to school now, so I have donated my body to the college of medicine @ UF and someday I will be hard at work in that gleaming room , I just wont be the one doing the cutting :scared:

Matt
08-20-2008, 01:27 PM
:o

That's actually a really cool dream.

I wonder how many people actually get to do the thing they have always dreamed of.

I bet that National Geographic photographer is <_<

razz
08-20-2008, 01:34 PM
i plan on veterinary college. that way i can give back to society, but not to the fuckholes who mess everything up. :|
i also like animals :)

alinda
08-20-2008, 01:38 PM
:P well alrighty then!:P

Sorox the Gunslinger
08-20-2008, 04:30 PM
im 13, okay. I really havent had alot of time to think about what my dream is.
But, I think a few weeks ago i finnaly figured it out. I want to be a school principal. Now if you're thinking, "He's a smarty pants!" You are completely wrong. A matter of fact, i failed english this year twice. (thank god you have to fail in 2 courses to repeat the grade) And now I have to take mandatory (I hope not) english courses during my free time. The reason i want to be a school principal is because of all the bad run-in's i've had with Principals at my school. Im going to be a good principal and help kids. not scare the living (Insert fecal related word here) out of them.

alinda
08-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Sounds like a hard job to me. There doesn't seem to be too much respect for educators these days. sad when you think of how much we have to learn. I wish you well in any endeavor you choose, welcome to the site, I look forward to your ideas about the series
as a young man.

razz
08-20-2008, 04:43 PM
maybe you can help fix this pile of shit the American government calls education. and for gods sake, give the librarian a good budget! our school hasn't had a library budget in 3 years. tho they always seem to have enough to buy a new set of computers for every teacher and computer lab every year.

kirin
08-20-2008, 11:38 PM
i should really finish the book i have been trying to write for about 3 years on and off or even the one thats been burried somewhere for about 10 years if i can find it :)

Woofer
08-21-2008, 04:38 AM
My dreams generally involve trying to survive in a war-ravaged post-apocalyptic society, so... Oh... LIFE DREAMS. Well, if/when Mr. Woofer ever gets a home business going, I would like to quit my job and focus on my fiction. If we ever hit it big (such as winning the lottery), I would like to help fund a wolf preserve. Seacrest Wolf Preserve (http://www.seacrestwolfpreserve.org/) is not too far from my house, but with only one income and trying to buy components for the home biz, it's too far to volunteer on a regular basis. Still, we do what we can at their fundraisers, open houses, and general donations.

Matt
08-21-2008, 07:31 AM
A Wolf preserve sounds like a really cool dream, I love reading these.

Bring a Principle is also a really good one.

There are bound to be more of you out there, almost no one works their dream. :fairy:

TLC
08-21-2008, 09:05 AM
i would love to have my own travel documentary show....
not just to show people where to go on vacations but to show people the natural side of where they're traveling, like the nature preserves, the reefs, wildlife etc. To show the importance of these places before they're gone. I think if more people knew they could travel to these places, they'd be more apt to want to preserve them. A few hot beaches here and there wouldn't hurt either though. :P

razz
08-21-2008, 09:25 AM
My dreams generally involve trying to survive in a war-ravaged post-apocalyptic society, so... Oh... LIFE DREAMS. Well, if/when Mr. Woofer ever gets a home business going, I would like to quit my job and focus on my fiction. If we ever hit it big (such as winning the lottery), I would like to help fund a wolf preserve. Seacrest Wolf Preserve (http://www.seacrestwolfpreserve.org/) is not too far from my house, but with only one income and trying to buy components for the home biz, it's too far to volunteer on a regular basis. Still, we do what we can at their fundraisers, open houses, and general donations.

they have a wolf preserve on an island here in Michigan. I've always wanted to visit.

jayson
08-21-2008, 09:37 AM
i would love to have my own travel documentary show....
not just to show people where to go on vacations but to show people the natural side of where they're traveling, like the nature preserves, the reefs, wildlife etc. To show the importance of these places before they're gone. I think if more people knew they could travel to these places, they'd be more apt to want to preserve them. A few hot beaches here and there wouldn't hurt either though. :P

Both of those are awesome!

Darkthoughts
08-21-2008, 10:55 AM
I've always wanted to be an illustrator. I've written and illustrated a children's graphic novel...it's actually finished...but I keep "forgetting" to go into town and get it copied to send off to the publishers.
I've even phoned publishers and found out which ones accept unsolicited mass/children's books...it's really unlike me to be like this...I'm prepared for rejection but I guess getting closer to the dream makes it scarier somehow :D

jayson
08-21-2008, 11:04 AM
I've always wanted to be an illustrator. I've written and illustrated a children's graphic novel...it's actually finished...but I keep "forgetting" to go into town and get it copied to send off to the publishers.
I've even phoned publishers and found out which ones accept unsolicited mass/children's books...it's really unlike me to be like this...I'm prepared for rejection but I guess getting closer to the dream makes it scarier somehow :D

I've seen your artistic skills. You should DEFINITELY pursue it.

Jean
08-21-2008, 11:16 AM
hear, hear!!! Jayson, did you see what she painted in the kindergarten? That beats everything I have seen!

razz
08-21-2008, 11:18 AM
I've always wanted to be an artist, but god, i SUCK! seriously. in a stick figure drawing contest i got fifth place. there were only 3 people involved.

Darkthoughts
08-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Jayson & Jean, thanks :huglove: Rest assured my husband won't let me put it off much longer :D

Matt
08-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Good for him, you have to follow something like that especially if you are as good as Lisa is. :rock:

Darkthoughts
08-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Aw Matt, you're being my personal cheerleader today - its much appreciated! :wub:

Matt
08-21-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm all warm and fuzzy because Vast asked me for a back ground on the site and it made me really think of what we have done.

You and everyone else...such a big help to me.

This is a dream come true for sure.

jayson
08-21-2008, 11:34 AM
hear, hear!!! Jayson, did you see what she painted in the kindergarten? That beats everything I have seen!

I did see it and it was awesome. She's extremely talented.

Tiffany
08-21-2008, 11:52 AM
im 13, okay. I really havent had alot of time to think about what my dream is.
But, I think a few weeks ago i finnaly figured it out. I want to be a school principal. Now if you're thinking, "He's a smarty pants!" You are completely wrong. A matter of fact, i failed english this year twice. (thank god you have to fail in 2 courses to repeat the grade) And now I have to take mandatory (I hope not) english courses during my free time. The reason i want to be a school principal is because of all the bad run-in's i've had with Principals at my school. Im going to be a good principal and help kids. not scare the living (Insert fecal related word here) out of them.

I had some nasty principals, too. I think this is an honorable dream.

My own dreams have changed time and time again but the one that always remained the same was being a famous artist. Like, classic, museum artist. I know it wouldn't be in the ranks of Picasso, Monet, Van Gogh or any of the masters but what a way to live on forever, huh?

razz
08-21-2008, 11:55 AM
i htink only true art lives forever. it's why in 20, or even ten years, if we were to mention Tom Cruise, people would ask, who's that? Books, music, painting are forever. movies are a passing fad.

Tiffany
08-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Agreed. Some movies might be considered art but I'm not sure Tom Cruise is involved in any of them.

Darkthoughts
08-21-2008, 12:57 PM
:lol:

razz
08-21-2008, 01:02 PM
true, but it was the only name that came to mind :lol:

VastOne
08-21-2008, 09:24 PM
I'm all warm and fuzzy because Vast asked me for a back ground on the site and it made me really think of what we have done.

You and everyone else...such a big help to me.

This is a dream come true for sure.

Shucks, glad to see you all warm and fuzzy....

You owe me :rock:

Seriously, you all have done a fantastic thing here...as I said in an earlier post, it feels like home...

Well done

Heil Gunslingers! :rose:

And if you have not seen this, here you go....

http://www.cafepress.com/deeksdigs.68699568

Jon
08-21-2008, 09:46 PM
And if you have not seen this, here you go....

http://www.cafepress.com/deeksdigs.68699568

Do you have antennae balls for cars?

Daghain
08-21-2008, 09:50 PM
If they make a Roland one I'm IN. :lol:

Jon
08-21-2008, 09:53 PM
I need 4...the drawing of the three and Roland.

VastOne
08-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks Jon for the heads up...

Now I will laugh my ass off even in my sleep....:excited:

Damn good. We should all put our heads together and see if we could come up with a sell able DT item and donate to a charity....