PDA

View Full Version : Nature vs Nurture

VastOne
08-19-2008, 03:50 PM
I asked these questions in another forum and was encouraged to start a new thread here....

I cry your pardon if this is not the right place....

As we get smaller and smaller in our world (connectivity making us one large neighborhood) what are your thoughts on our senses growing or better yet evolving to see other parallel planes (worlds). Are our senses growing or diminishing as well?

How much of history must be repeated before we begin to see that we are on the beam of stagnant growth?

Nurture or Nature, which is the true path/beam?

VastOne

razz
08-19-2008, 03:51 PM
i htink mass communication will slow us down. mass conformity that is.

Wuducynn
08-22-2008, 08:09 AM
stagnant growth?

??

This phrase confuses me. It's an oxy-moron.

VastOne
08-22-2008, 08:18 AM
stagnant growth?

??

This phrase confuses me. It's an oxy-moron.

None growth, spinning wheels

Wuducynn
08-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Then it wouldn't be growth at all. Stagnancy.

VastOne
08-22-2008, 08:28 AM
Then it wouldn't be growth at all. Stagnancy.

Exactly

jayson
08-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Nurture or Nature, which is the true path/beam?

Dependent of course on how you define "nature" than I'd say that path seems to be working well for the life on our planet going on something like one billion years now. Many of the things going wrong within that ecosystem are a by-product of our human choices, specifically relative to pollution. I'm not anti-progress or anti-technology by any stretch of the imagination, but we should be intelligent enough as a species to use these things without destroying the world around us.

I do also agree with Razz that it seems much of the mass communication is geared towards creating conformity.

VastOne
08-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Can you and/or razz elaborate on these thoughts of conformity? If we are capable of reaching out to millions more in our new world neighborhood, getting to know more cultures and better understanding each other, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Vast

jayson
08-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Can you and/or razz elaborate on these thoughts of conformity? If we are capable of reaching out to millions more in our new world neighborhood, getting to know more cultures and better understanding each other, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Vast

It all depends on who is controlling the means of communication and what it's being used to communicate. Communications in between individual citizens of different cultures is a fine thing (and I suspect what you are talking about), but much of the communication technology is being utilized most of the time to broadcast some form of advertising for some corporation. There is no end to what is potentially wrong with that.

VastOne
08-22-2008, 08:54 AM

Vast

It all depends on who is controlling the means of communication and what it's being used to communicate. Communications in between individual citizens of different cultures is a fine thing (and I suspect what you are talking about), but much of the communication technology is being utilized most of the time to broadcast some form of advertising for some corporation. There is no end to what is potentially wrong with that.

Totally agree....and you pegged mine right. Thanks for clearing it up

Vast

razz
08-22-2008, 08:56 AM

Vast
the problem with communication is conformity. I find conformity a major problem. think:
6 billion people. all think the same. dress the same, play the same, live the same way. anyone who chooses to be the minority is spit upon. with everyone thinking the same, there's nothing new. nothing original, nothing novel. anything new that doesn't interest the majority is cast to the side.anything accepted is duplicated, marketed, advertised and used until it's useless and nothing that is a benefit.

jayson
08-22-2008, 08:57 AM

Vast

Sure. I'm enjoying this thread. Good to have you here. :)

VastOne
08-22-2008, 09:09 AM

Vast

Sure. I'm enjoying this thread. Good to have you here. :)

Thank you! Glad to be here....:P

My thoughts on the Nurture vs. Nature lies in the development of people where nature would be the environment one lives in dictates the personality. And even in the worst of environments, good nurturing can overcome...More that we could learn from animals...

Vast

Jon
09-26-2008, 10:16 PM
As it is a mix, either can have more of an effect than the other on certain individuals. A war vet who has seen great suffering for example. On the other side of the coin, one born with OCD.

The balance isn't always 50/50.