PDA

View Full Version : Can you tell? Straub vs. King

BillyxRansom
08-15-2008, 09:25 AM
This may be an unnecessary thread, and might need to be moved into a thread that was already created about these novels, but this is a discussion meant to go in a different direction:

The Talisman, specifically. Can you tell which parts were written by King and which were written by Straub? Were they written in the form of King/Straub writes the first half and then Straub/King writes the second half? Does anyone know?

Can you tell? I certainly can't!

Jean
08-15-2008, 09:56 AM
I would keep this thread intact! Who knows in cooperation with whom Sai King might write in the future? Great idea for a thread, BillyxR.

On topic now: I strongly suspect that my favorite places in BH were Straub's... like, the long panoramic view at the very beginning, and the like; the introduction of the slippage concept; also, the opopanax theme - I think you get the idea: everything that takes style, exquisite writing, as opposed to telling a hole-in-the-page story (which is undeniably Sai King's forte)

jhanic
08-15-2008, 01:33 PM
When The Talisman first came out, similar questions were asked. King responded by stating that he and Straub intentionally copied each others' styles so that no-one would be able to tell who wrote what. I really believe that is true.

John

LadyHitchhiker
08-16-2008, 03:39 AM
Excellent book The Talisman... I should read it again..

BillyxRansom
08-20-2008, 07:13 AM
I'm barely scratched the surface of The Talisman, so I wanted to know so I could be like "Oh, there's King! And there's Straub's input!"

But they copied each other's style!? Hmm!

Bluenose
08-23-2008, 10:00 AM
I always thought that Talisman was a Straub book (for the simple reason that I always thought that Jack would survive) while Black House was more of a King book (again, for the very simple reason that I didnt know if he would - also the more...prevalent Tower themes and the references to Rolands world)

Jean
08-23-2008, 10:05 AM
I always thought that Talisman was a Straub book <...> while Black House was more of a King book<...>
me too, but I'm afraid only I because absolutely adore BH, and have some reservations regarging Talisman http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_original.gif

bangoskank1
08-23-2008, 10:07 AM
I know the secret......:ninja:

Jean
08-23-2008, 10:15 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif

::all ears::

Bluenose
08-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Funny enough, Jean, I picked up a few Straub books after reading Talisman and was less than impressed. I love The Talisman, but BH is a far superior book.

alinda
08-23-2008, 10:35 AM
I know the secret......:ninja:

:evil::clap::harrier::couple:

Jean
08-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Funny enough, Jean, I picked up a few Straub books after reading Talisman and was less than impressed. I love The Talisman, but BH is a far superior book.
I was very disappointed in Julia (Full Circle), and still haven't finished another one whose name I keep forgetting.
And BH is in my top five! (which Talisman isn't by far)

oops - let's keep to the topic, or I'll have to merge this thread http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Woofer
08-23-2008, 11:53 AM
I've never really tried to distinguish their parts. I wonder if I could if I made a point of it. I'd like to think so based solely on the fact that I can take or leave Straub but I adore King.