PDA

View Full Version : Olympics

Pages : [1] 2

Odetta
08-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Do you watch the Olympics? Are you going to watch them? What are your favorite events?

streetbudz
08-08-2008, 10:35 AM
I am really looking forward to the Gypsy Wagon Race, Hang the Bell on the Abominable Snowman relay, Tiger Hunt, Elephant Bark Race, Catch the Leprechaun, Canadian Tree Cutting, Flying Carpet Races, and of course Magic Rope Climbing. Wait... The US is represented by the The Really Rottens right?

Odetta
08-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Wow! I wanna watch those events!

educatedlady
08-08-2008, 10:56 AM
If those were actual games I might watch. :)

Arthur Heath
08-08-2008, 11:45 AM
I love how the NBA Dream Team has been dubbed the Redeem Team.

jayson
08-08-2008, 12:45 PM
I think sending a team of NBA stars like that is so silly. Why not just send the Harlem Globetrotters? They're all Americans, right? The Olympics should go back to being an amateur sports thing.

Erin
08-08-2008, 01:25 PM
I love the Olympics. I like watching the opening ceremony. I also like gymnastics, swimming and diving.

Nerak
08-08-2008, 03:33 PM
I am watching the opening ceremonies right now and I usually try to watch gymnastics.

B Rag
08-08-2008, 04:01 PM
I think I will watch them this year. I usually don't, but you never know when it might be the best Olympics ever - if it is, I can say, "Oh yeah, I saw that."

I just switched the channel over to the opening ceremonies!

Edit: Wow, this is pretty cool!

gsvec
08-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Not sure how much of the games I'll watch, but OMG - the opening ceremonies were absolutely incredible!!

B Rag
08-08-2008, 09:13 PM
I know, that was amazing! "Magical" is a word I don't use often, but I think it applies in this situation.

The Lady of Shadows
08-09-2008, 01:48 AM
oh my dear god. i just got this from the new york times. please don't let it be true.

American Tourist Reported Killed in Beijing

A Chinese man attacked two American tourists on the opening
day of the Olympic Games, killing one of them before
committing suicide, Beijing authorities said, according to
The Associated Press.

Read More:
http://www.nytimes.com/?emc=na

The Lady of Shadows
08-09-2008, 01:49 AM
now this i happen to pay attention to because my roommate in college shot rifle.

Czech Republic Wins First Gold in Beijing

Katerina Emmons of the Czech Republic won the first gold
medal of the Beijing Olympics on Saturday in the women's
10-meter air rifle.

jayson
08-09-2008, 04:09 AM
oh my dear god. i just got this from the new york times. please don't let it be true.

American Tourist Reported Killed in Beijing

A Chinese man attacked two American tourists on the opening
day of the Olympic Games, killing one of them before
committing suicide, Beijing authorities said, according to
The Associated Press.

Read More:
http://www.nytimes.com/?emc=na

I'll be honest with you, given the complete censorship and media blackouts the Chinese government imposes, I'm surprised this story even got out.

Brice
08-09-2008, 04:12 AM
I'm not surprised. Despite what they may think they can't control the internet and news all the time.

jayson
08-09-2008, 04:15 AM
It was more a criticism of the Chinese government than an expression of true surprise. As the amateur media watchdog that I am, I am very curious to see the difference in coverage this story gets from NBC News and the rest of the news outlets given NBC being the sole American broadcaster of the games themselves.

Brice
08-09-2008, 04:22 AM
You are probably right in that respect. I don't doubt NBC will put a different slant on it.

Darkthoughts
08-09-2008, 05:51 AM
We were in London when the opening Ceremony was on, they had a big screen up in Trafalgar Square which is where we watched it:
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c39/towerjunkie19/trafalgar.jpg

There were a few anti-Chinese government protesters, but it was all peaceful stuff.

fernandito
08-09-2008, 09:32 AM
I just watch the soccer matches. :)

Tony_A
08-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Although I am mainly a baseball/US football fan, I like watching volleyball (both standard and beach), tennis and basketball as well.

Girlystevedave
08-09-2008, 11:45 AM
I get bored with the Olympics. They have it on here at work, and I just sit and create funny visions/skits to laugh at instead.
There's my entertainment. :)

Odetta
08-09-2008, 04:36 PM
I like to watch it! The opening ceremonites were pretty fabulous.
Canada usually is pretty lack-luster in the medals but I still enjoy the events.

Can't believe the smog in Beijing... wow!

educatedlady
08-11-2008, 09:25 AM
I've never been one to watch the olympics but I've had it on just as background noise and now I'm enjoying watching all the swimming.

streetbudz
08-11-2008, 09:50 AM
I was able to catch quite a few of the events over the weekend. I thought some of the highlights were:

Opening Ceremony - amazing
Mens basketball against the Chinese team - while not close, still plenty of action.
100M Freestyle Relay last night - great finish, most exciting event I have seen yet.
I also enjoyed the volleyball. I still think they should add magic rope climbing though.

Tony_A
08-11-2008, 10:02 AM
I've never been one to watch the olympics but I've had it on just as background noise and now I'm enjoying watching all the swimming.

I'm really digging the swimming this year, especially with "home-town" hero Michael Phelps. I grew up In Columbia, MD, which is about 25 minute drive from downtown Baltimore.

Heather19
08-11-2008, 01:51 PM
Swimming is really the only event in either olympics that I watch. And there have really been some great races so far. I loved the relay from last night, that was so close.
I also used to be big into track but not so much anymore since I don't really know any of the people currently in the field.

Jon
08-12-2008, 02:20 AM
Am I the only one to notice how HOT the Hungarian Women's Handball team is?

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

B Rag
08-12-2008, 07:02 AM
I haven't seen them. *runs off to look it up*

I rather liked the Chinese gymnasts, though. :unsure:

streetbudz
08-12-2008, 11:12 AM

That is much better than the Croation Water Polo team. The entire team looks like Freddy Mercury from Queen.

jayson
08-12-2008, 12:33 PM
I keep hearing how the opening ceremonies for these Olympics was the coolest ever... Perhaps it looked that way because it was faked?

http://www.abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=5565191&page=1

(EXCERPT)

In recent days the Chinese Olympics organizers have admitted to faking the "footprint" fireworks that dazzled television audiences around the world.

And today they conceded that the perfect little girl who stole the show while singing "Ode to the Motherland" wasn't singing at all. She was lip synching for another little girl who was deemed -- for the good of the country -- not cute enough for China's national image.

Odetta
08-12-2008, 01:41 PM
well, I thought it was OBVIOUS that she wasn't singing... maybe it was just me, but that seemed like a no-brainer to me.

Man, Canada sucks! EVERY OTHER COUNTRY HAS AT LEAST ONE FRIGGIN MEDAL!

The Lady of Shadows
08-12-2008, 02:37 PM
**ahem**

some have more than one.

:P

B Rag
08-12-2008, 04:26 PM
:lol:

The Lady of Shadows
08-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Breaking News Alert
The New York Times
Tuesday, August 12, 2008 -- 10:25 PM ET
-----

Michael Phelps Captures 4th Gold of Beijing Games

BEIJING -- Michael Phelps continued his dominance of the
swimming events on Wednesday morning, with a world-record
victory in the 200-meter butterfly in 1:52.03. It was the
fourth gold medal of the Games for Phelps, who is trying to
break Mark Spitz's record of seven gold medals in one
Olympics, which Spitz set in 1972. Phelps swims again later
tonight in the 4x200-meter freestyle relay.

B Rag
08-12-2008, 07:35 PM
If I heard correctly, he just got his 13th, didn't he?

Odetta
08-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Phelps is going to get more medals on his own THAN OUR WHOLE FRIGGIN COUNTRY!

The Lady of Shadows
08-12-2008, 08:21 PM
**coughcough** so sorry odetta. really.

Breaking News Alert
The New York Times
Tuesday, August 12, 2008 -- 11:30 PM ET
-----

Michael Phelps Adds 2 Gold Medals in One Night

BEIJING -- The United States 4x200-meter freestyle relay team
helped Michael Phelps keep his gold-medal streak alive
Wednesday morning. The relay victory, in a
world-record-smashing 6 minutes 58.56, helped Phelps earn his
fifth medal of these Games, as he attempts to break Mark
Spitz's record of seven gold medals in one event, which Spitz
set in 1972. Earlier in the night, Phelps had earned his
fourth gold medal with a world-record performance in the
200-meter butterfly.

Odetta
08-12-2008, 08:25 PM
I KNOW! The guy is a machine!
Is he really a person? Maybe he's a robot. Maybe SKYNET is real and he is a prototype. Maybe we're all going to die at the hands of Michael Phelps.

B Rag
08-12-2008, 08:28 PM
He'll tell us he wants to show us something out in the ocean. and he'll lead us really far out into the water. Then he'll just keep swimming until he reaches another continent, whereas we'll drown long before then.

The Lady of Shadows
08-12-2008, 08:53 PM
THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING!

Jon
08-12-2008, 09:57 PM

That is much better than the Croation Water Polo team. The entire team looks like Freddy Mercury from Queen.

:lol::lol:

Heather19
08-13-2008, 02:07 PM
In recent days the Chinese Olympics organizers have admitted to faking the "footprint" fireworks that dazzled television audiences around the world.

And today they conceded that the perfect little girl who stole the show while singing "Ode to the Motherland" wasn't singing at all. She was lip synching for another little girl who was deemed -- for the good of the country -- not cute enough for China's national image.

That whole thing is just ridiculous. Why even have that little girl sing if you're not going to show her. And now there's all that controversy about their womens gymnastics team.

As for Phelps, he is just amazing to watch. Especially that relay from last night. They finished about 5 sec sooner than the 2nd place team, and for swimming that's a pretty big lead.

B Rag
08-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Why even have that little girl sing if you're not going to show her. And now there's all that controversy about their womens gymnastics team.
Well, the idea was that they wanted good singing, but they also wanted a good face. I'm not saying it's right, just that that's their reason.
I thought the actual singer was actually pretty cute. Of course, the other one was extremely cute...

Odetta
08-14-2008, 07:33 AM
I don't know why anyone is surprised... that is how society works. Appearance rates very highly for some reason.

Matt
08-14-2008, 07:57 AM
I think that is why China is going to become the new super power, they are not concerned with people feelings. :lol:

B Rag
08-14-2008, 10:32 AM

Wait, that's not funny, it's sad! :o

Odetta
08-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Well, it doesn't surprise me that Canada sucks... in our paper this morning, the heading said...

Canadian swimming coach says "our swimmers are just trying too hard"

><:arg::nope:

Brice
08-14-2008, 12:51 PM
How much would it suck to be the little girl singing her heart out who isn't cute enough? :cry: People are SEVERELY fucked up.

fernandito
08-14-2008, 01:44 PM
I saw highlights of one of Micheal Phelps's Gold-clinching races - I'm convinced he was a dolphin in his previous life.

Insanity.

Arthur Heath
08-14-2008, 03:29 PM
He looks like it when he pushes off the wall and swims underwater. Insanity is right. Not only winning golds but breaking world records doing it. In every event.

The Lady of Shadows
08-14-2008, 06:11 PM
here you are my dear. the first canadian gold medal! :couple:

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk95/turtlesong/olympicgoldmedal.jpg

The Lady of Shadows
08-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Breaking News Alert
The New York Times
Thursday, August 14, 2008 -- 10:55 PM ET
-----

Phelps Picks Up His Sixth Gold Medal

Michael Phelps won his sixth gold medal in as many events at
the Beijing Olympics on Friday morning, winning the 200-meter
intermediate medley final in a world-record time of 1 minute
54.23 seconds.

B Rag
08-14-2008, 07:22 PM
I believe they said he's tied with Mark Spitz in world records.

The Lady of Shadows
08-14-2008, 07:34 PM
that is just unbelievable.

B Rag
08-14-2008, 08:03 PM
I've grown to really like the Gymnastics, but I don't understand the way they score it. Why does everyone under first place have a negative number for the score?

Edit: Is that how far their score is from the top score?

Odetta
08-15-2008, 06:23 AM

BITE ME, TURTLE! :pirate:

Míchéal
08-15-2008, 07:07 AM
Phelps is a legend!!!!

Matt
08-15-2008, 07:12 AM
Anyone know if our girl won the individual in gymnastics last night?

The female beach vollyball team was really good last night, come from behind win--survived 5 match points.

B Rag
08-15-2008, 07:15 AM
If you're from the US, then yes, she did!

Matt
08-15-2008, 07:46 AM
WOOHOO!! I am indeed. :dance:

B Rag
08-15-2008, 07:53 AM
:thumbsup:

LadyHitchhiker
08-15-2008, 08:22 AM
Hey! When is rhythmic gymanstics? That's my favorite!

B Rag
08-15-2008, 08:24 AM
Well, I'm not sure - what exactly is the difference between rhythmic and artistic? I know some of the gymnastics are over, but I don't know about rhythmic.

The Lady of Shadows
08-15-2008, 12:11 PM

BITE ME, TURTLE! :pirate:

HEY! i was trying to be nice and you just went and stomped all over it and threw it back in my face. what does a girl have to do to do something nice for you. :cry:

Odetta
08-15-2008, 01:01 PM
methinks you were being a poo-head! (OK, I kinda stole that word from my 3 year old) ;)

The Lady of Shadows
08-15-2008, 02:32 PM
methinks you were being a poo-head! (OK, I kinda stole that word from my 3 year old) ;)

dude seriously. i was totally trying to be kind. i even searched hell and beyond on google trying to find the medal for this year's olympics. (they seem to love the sydney olympics for some reason - must be the aussie men).

but fine, i'll just take your medal back for poor sportsmanship. :P

Telynn
08-15-2008, 04:28 PM
The US women gymnasts won gold and silver last night. Woo Hoo!!!

Ok, I got an Olympic gripe. Look at womens beach volleyball. What are they wearing? Bikinis. What are the men wearing? BIG BAGGY shirts and BIG BAGGY shorts that go down to their KNEES. What's up with that? We women want eye candy too.

Actually the mens swimming is filling in nicely.....

Heather19
08-15-2008, 05:38 PM
I too always wondered why the womens beach volleyball team uniforms were bikinis. I mean it's not like they're going to go in the water or anything.

Odetta
08-15-2008, 06:13 PM

Ok, I got an Olympic gripe. Look at womens beach volleyball. What are they wearing? Bikinis. What are the men wearing? BIG BAGGY shirts and BIG BAGGY shorts that go down to their KNEES. What's up with that? We women want eye candy too.

yummy

LadyHitchhiker
08-16-2008, 03:41 AM

LOL I thought the same thing too!

LadyHitchhiker
08-16-2008, 03:42 AM
Well, I'm not sure - what exactly is the difference between rhythmic and artistic? I know some of the gymnastics are over, but I don't know about rhythmic.

I dunno the gymnastics where they run around with the streamer and the 20-40 pound ball they catch between their knees. I saw it last summer olympics at like 3 in the morning and I became fixated...

Nerak
08-16-2008, 03:54 AM
Phelps was incredible last night!! WInning #7 buy .01 of a second!!!! HOLY CRAP!! It was amazing! Can't wait to see his next race! Oh, tonight he goes for it!

Erin
08-16-2008, 04:31 AM
What's up with that? We women want eye candy too.

yummy

The guys on the German syncronized diving team = super hotties.

B Rag
08-16-2008, 05:15 AM

I dunno the gymnastics where they run around with the streamer and the 20-40 pound ball they catch between their knees. I saw it last summer olympics at like 3 in the morning and I became fixated...

Oh, I know what you mean now. I haven't seen it yet, not sure when it is.

Heather19
08-16-2008, 05:41 AM
Phelps was incredible last night!! WInning #7 buy .01 of a second!!!! HOLY CRAP!! It was amazing! Can't wait to see his next race! Oh, tonight he goes for it!

Yes, that race was amazing. I did not think he was going to get it at all, but he somehow came back at the last second. I too can't wait to see his last race tonight!

Telynn
08-16-2008, 06:38 AM

LOL I thought the same thing too!

The only problem is, Michael Phelps is soooo young. Todd Rogers of the beach volley team looks a little older. I wouldn't feel like such a dirty old woman if I watched him running around without a shirt. Up to now I wasn't a big fan of the goatee, but he makes it work.

Speaking of them, that win over the Swiss team had me on the edge of my seat. geeze

Odetta
08-16-2008, 04:58 PM
don't worry about being a dirty old woman!
I've been one for quite some time!:evil:

LadyHitchhiker
08-17-2008, 06:26 AM
Well I'm not old yet... but I usually like the older men, anyways... :drool: Even when I was little, I'd rather drool over like Mel Gibson than Devon Sawa...

Telynn
08-17-2008, 07:46 AM
Did we REALLY need to see so much of the womens marathon yesterday? I always thought a marathon was something you saw the beginning, popped in from time to time between seeing other events and then saw the ending. Even if there were no events going on at the time, there are so many we never see any of, they could have been using the time to show highlights from the prior day of stuff we didn't get to see.

Nerak
08-17-2008, 08:05 AM
Phelps did it!!!!

8 gold medals in one Olympics!! 7 world records!!!

Telynn
08-17-2008, 08:07 AM
The man is a swimming machine. And I absolutely love his mother.

Maturins_Daughter
08-17-2008, 12:20 PM
I'm definitely feelin' some girl on girl love for May-Walsh... :nana:

The Lady of Shadows
08-17-2008, 02:52 PM
http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk95/turtlesong/BorgmanPhelpsDolphin.gif

B Rag
08-17-2008, 07:13 PM
"Look at the way Nastia just takes that.. slender... athletic body and just... bends it.."

:lol: That seems like an creepy thing for a commentator to say.

Telynn
08-17-2008, 07:25 PM
"Look at the way Nastia just takes that.. slender... athletic body and just... bends it.."

:lol: That seems like an creepy thing for a commentator to say.

LOL. They way he paused as he was saying it, I think he realized how bad it sounded.

B Rag
08-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Haha, yeah. For a second I thought maybe he didn't realize the microphone was on... :D

Heather19
08-18-2008, 06:32 AM
oh no, did he really say that :lol:

B Rag
08-18-2008, 06:40 AM
Yep!
Sure, we were all thikin' it, but most of us didn't go say it on TV.. :P

:drool:

On a related note, I wish there was a way to watch it with alternate commentary.. or no commentary. Some of the commentators are jerks. <_<

jayson
08-18-2008, 07:24 AM
Yep!
... I wish there was a way to watch it with ... no commentary. Some of the commentators are jerks. <_<

Try hitting the "MUTE" button on your remote control. I do it when I watch football because the commentators are morons.

B Rag
08-18-2008, 08:28 AM
I thought about trying that, but I like to hear the cheering and everything. Plus, I don't wanna be "that guy watching gymnastics with the sound turned off" :P

Matt
08-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Did May/Walsh play for the gold yet?

Jean
08-18-2008, 09:07 AM
YAY ISINBAEVA!!!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/542.gif

B Rag
08-18-2008, 07:29 PM
I wish they would use Béla Károlyi for commentary. I can't understand half of what he says, but he's entertaining!

Edit: God, these people will not shut up about how much they think Nastia should have won... and they do the same thing every night! I hope they won't be back for the 2012 Olympics...

Telynn
08-18-2008, 07:35 PM
He doesn't hold back his opinion does he? The fact that Tim Dagget is saying too means more to me.

B Rag
08-18-2008, 07:48 PM
I think Tim Dagget declared Nastia the winner the second she registered. <_<

Matt
08-19-2008, 09:52 AM
I think she was robbed personally--Shaun Johnson's vault was much better in all respects. Not great, but better.

I'm just glad the Chinese Moose (that's how me and my wife are referring to her, not real PC :lol:) blew the floor exercise so badly.

Jean
08-24-2008, 06:22 AM
so!

congratulations to our American and Chinese rivals, but I got to admit we didn't do that bad either, given the circumstances! 23 gold, 21 silver, 28 bronze medals... 72 altogether...
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sara05.gif

Telynn
08-24-2008, 07:41 AM
Congrats to the Aussie Mitchem for keeping the Chinese from sweeping the diving golds. I didn't think anyone would beat them at diving this year.

Telynn
08-24-2008, 06:41 PM
There should be a law that no woman can sing Whole Lotta Love. Except Ann Wilson. I bet she could do it.

stone, rose, unfound door
08-26-2008, 03:05 PM
We got 40 medals which means that one of our politicians (Roseline Bachelot if anyone is interested in French politics) will be coming to the first meeting of the Assembly in October wearing bright pink crocs :D I can't wait to see it.

Odetta
02-13-2010, 04:13 PM
I will be watching. Having the Olympics taking place in the country where I live and taking place hours away from me is kind of exciting.

I enjoy the Olympics. Some events are boring, but I love the team spirit.

What do you think? Do you care? Will you watch?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Watchin speed skating now!

Go USA!!!

Sam
02-13-2010, 05:43 PM
I ALWAYS watch the Olympics, one way or another. I've stayed up late or awakened early when they were held in Barcelona and Seoul, watched when they were held here in the US, and even got to attend the US Women's Basketball quarterfinals in Atlanta. Yeah, The Olympics is a huge thing for me, Winter and Summer both.

Bev Vincent
02-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Watched the opening ceremony and felt a swell of pride over my homeland's fine showing, and especially loved the fiddle / step-dancing segment, because that was the music of my childhood. Not sure that I'll watch many of the sporting events, though.

Sam
02-13-2010, 09:52 PM
The men's speed skating and women's skiing from earlier today were nail biters. I truly saw the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.

turtlex
02-14-2010, 07:56 AM
I love the Olympics !!! Summer and Winter.

I always watch as much as I can. I love the whole "thrill of victory, agony of defeat" aspect.

I love that a lot of the "extreme x-games" snow events are Olympic events now - Half pipe, snow-cross, that kind of thing. Very exciting.

A quick note - I thought the Opening Ceremonies were horrible. Very boring. I blame some of that on the stupid ass camera angles that NBC used but not all of it.

Oh yeah, and I'm pretty much the person who really doesn't enjoy the figure skating at all. I know it's the number one viewed Olympic event ( at least in the US ) but honestly, I don't care for it at all.

Lily-sai
02-14-2010, 08:05 AM
I'm going to watch only ice-hockey. Belarus and Germany should be as easy as pie, but Sweden.. :shoot:

Sam
02-14-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm not much for Figure Skating either Pam, but I'll be watching it if I'm home. Not that I'll have a choice because if I'm not in the room my wife will be upset and think I'm avoiding her. I won't be able to read either because she's going to want to talk to me about some of everything in the world when she's supposed to be wtaching an athletic event. I like the speed skating, biathalon, bobsledding, hockey, and even the curling. The men's skating used to be very interesting, but most of those skaters aren't in the Olympics anymore.

Jean
02-14-2010, 12:36 PM
bears adore figure skating, and, being Russian bears, they sure have some high hopes for the Olympics

the same with ice hockey

don't really understand any other kind of sport, winter or summer

turtlex
02-14-2010, 12:50 PM
I have a couple of really great friends who are complete... as I call them... SkateHeads. They love following skating, individual, pairs, dance. They love them. They travel to and follow the tours, go to Worlds, have been to the Olympic events. One has even held a Gold Medal ( won by Gwendal and Marina - the French Ice Dancing Team ) !!!

I just can't get into it, but because they're my friends - I know far too much about skating. :lol:

Jon
02-14-2010, 09:04 PM
I watch most anything that involves snow and/or ice. I LOVE the short track racing!

turtlex
02-15-2010, 03:52 AM
Hey Jean !!! Are you doing any kind of planning for the NEXT Winter Olympics?!?! They're in your neck of the woods !!!

Letti
02-15-2010, 04:27 AM
I would watch it if I had a TV.

turtlex
02-15-2010, 04:55 AM
Letti - I'm not sure if you can get to the us television site online, but they're streaming some stuff and have a lot of video.

NBC Winter Olympics Site (http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/index.html)

And for those folks with iphones and itouch devices - there's a ton of free apps in the itunes store for the Olympics.

Letti
02-15-2010, 05:19 AM
Letti - I'm not sure if you can get to the us television site online, but they're streaming some stuff and have a lot of video.

NBC Winter Olympics Site (http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/index.html)

And for those folks with iphones and itouch devices - there's a ton of free apps in the itunes store for the Olympics.

Thank you, good idea. :rose: I was thinking about looking for some website where I could watch it.
Anyway I have a TV but I have no channels (got fed up with them) and I can watch only DVDs.

turtlex
02-15-2010, 05:48 AM
Letti - :couple: - Always happy to help out.

You might also want to check Eurosport Yahoo, they have some coverage as well.

Eurosport Olympics (http://eurosport.yahoo.com/winter-olympics/)

Jean
02-15-2010, 06:29 AM
Hey Jean !!! Are you doing any kind of planning for the NEXT Winter Olympics?!?! They're in your neck of the woods !!! True, but my neck of the wookds is larger than any other given woods... I don't think I can make it there.

turtlex
02-15-2010, 07:06 AM
Hey Jean !!! Are you doing any kind of planning for the NEXT Winter Olympics?!?! They're in your neck of the woods !!! True, but my neck of the wookds is larger than any other given woods... I don't think I can make it there.

:lol: Excellent point.

Russia is kind of big, hunh? Too bad you can't make it though, I bet it would be so cool.

London in 2012, Russia 2014. I'd love to be able to attend either of them.

FYI for those interested : 2014 in Russia (http://www.2014olympics.com/)

Sochi Russia : XXII Winter Olympic Games : 7 - 23 february, 2014 - 1452 days left

Lily-sai
02-15-2010, 04:11 PM
I wish I could travel a few decades back in time and watch the Russian bears play ice hockey in the Olympics. There was some true legends among them.

Tretiak, anyone?

(I prefer the Finnish spelling, though, 'Tretjak'. It's 'Tryetyak' in Russia, if I am correct?)

Candice Dionysus
02-15-2010, 04:14 PM
I think I am like the ONLY person in Canada who doesn't give a shit about the Olympics. Everyone keeps putting it on in the common room, and I keep leaving the room every time they do because I'm simply not interested. Now if it was FIFA, I'd care. But the Olympics, and specifically the Winter Games, do not interest me.
:pullhair:

:panic:

Brice
02-15-2010, 04:58 PM
I haven't watched them since I was a kid. And I haven't watched tv in years. If someone wants to send a ticket to the olympics I'll watch. Otherwise probably not.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-15-2010, 05:32 PM
I haven't watched them since I was a kid. And I haven't watched tv in years. If someone wants to send a ticket to the olympics I'll watch. Otherwise probably not.

No beer and no TV makes Homer go.....something.....something....

Brice
02-15-2010, 05:33 PM
:lol: Oh, I got beer.

Jean
02-16-2010, 03:26 AM
I wish I could travel a few decades back in time and watch the Russian bears play ice hockey in the Olympics. There was some true legends among them.

Tretiak, anyone?

(I prefer the Finnish spelling, though, 'Tretjak'. It's 'Tryetyak' in Russia, if I am correct?)

Третьяк rules!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_flying.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_flying.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_flying.gif

turtlex
02-17-2010, 05:11 AM
I was so looking forward to the Women's Snowboard Cross... but, you know, Lindsey Jacobellis really drives me nuts. Honestly, she's an athlete who I can respect her talent, but she's kind of jerk. I was not happy she DQ'd, but honestly - with a head that big, I'm surprised she can get down the hill at all. What an ego on her. :rolleyes:

DoctorDodge
02-17-2010, 06:49 AM
I think I am like the ONLY person in Canada who doesn't give a shit about the Olympics. Everyone keeps putting it on in the common room, and I keep leaving the room every time they do because I'm simply not interested. Now if it was FIFA, I'd care. But the Olympics, and specifically the Winter Games, do not interest me.

See, I was like this for the longest time, not caring one bit about the WO, and then I caught a replay of women's snowboarding last night, and suddenly I saw the appeal. The excitement, the thrill of victory...

...but mostly you just wanna see who stacks it majorly every single round! With stuff like snowboarding and bobsledding, where people can go at really high speeds with hardly any protection, the potential for someone to get a really nasty injury is limitless! With snowboarding, this is especially true: last night, i saw several people fall over badly, and one practically flew right into a fence!

I know this may make me an evil person, but my God, that's what I call entertainment! :thumbsup::evil:

Candice Dionysus
02-17-2010, 10:03 AM
I enjoy seeing people get injured, too. But I'm not interested in winter games. I don't like winter sports of any kind. I don't like winter of any kind.

Bev Vincent
02-17-2010, 10:47 AM
I've been enjoying the curling competitions. Chess on ice.

Sam
02-17-2010, 01:47 PM
I was SO looking forward to seeing the curling, and guess what the only thing I haven't been able to see is. Yep, the damned curling.:arg:><:pullhair:

Ruthful
02-17-2010, 01:58 PM

You're just jealous because they didn't pick you for the national curling team.

Seriously though, does it really qualify as a sport if you can do it while pregnant?
:orely:

Bev Vincent
02-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Curling has been on USA Network at noon (Central) this week.

turtlex
02-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Yup. For the Olympics ... The USA Network is basically the Curling Channel !!

Bev Vincent
02-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Characters Curlers Welcome

DoctorDodge
02-17-2010, 03:09 PM
Funny, the only other sport I've watched other than snowboarding and bobsledding was curling. That wasn't because of risk of injury - obviously - but just because it was Britain vs Sweden. It was pretty close. Didn't see who won, though.

Sam
02-17-2010, 03:17 PM
I'll have to check the USA network when I get a chance.:thumbsup:

Bev Vincent
02-17-2010, 04:14 PM
The Americans are curling against Switzerland right now on CNBC

Odetta
02-17-2010, 05:05 PM

Seriously though, does it really qualify as a sport if you can do it while pregnant?

is golf a sport?

turtlex
02-18-2010, 03:46 AM
:nana: Lindsey Vonn :nana: Gold Baby Gold !!!

( I was really suprised, especially after the injuries! )

Sam
02-18-2010, 09:19 AM
She had a hell of a run didn't she? The speed skating and snowboarding half-pipe were pretty awesome to watch too.:thumbsup: Who else saw Shawn White's Gold Medal run down the pipe? That was truly remarkable.

Odetta
02-18-2010, 10:05 AM
That guy is insane

turtlex
02-18-2010, 10:36 AM
I think Shawn White is just awesome. I've been watching him in the X-Games for years and he's so amazing.

Ruthful
02-20-2010, 05:02 PM
is golf a sport?

According to me? No.

Ruthful
02-20-2010, 05:03 PM
One thing I will watch is the Canada-USA hockey game tomorrow night.

Odetta
02-21-2010, 06:08 AM
is golf a sport?

According to me? No.

:)

Brice
02-22-2010, 05:19 AM
Golf will be a sport on the day when your opponents are allowed to guard the hole with their clubs. As it stands now Golf is no more a sport then Magic The Gathering...whose tournaments are shown on ESPN. :lol:

turtlex
02-22-2010, 05:34 AM
:rock: USA beat Canada in Hockey :rock:

:rock: Bode Miller scores his first Gold :rock:

biomieg
02-22-2010, 05:40 AM
The Netherlands got their third gold in speedskating :rock::dance::rock: (and at least one more to follow for the men's 10 K tomorrow!)

Ruthful
02-22-2010, 01:58 PM
Golf will be a sport on the day when your opponents are allowed to guard the hole with their clubs. As it stands now Golf is no more a sport then Magic The Gathering...whose tournaments are shown on ESPN. :lol:

http://www.thephoenixpub.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/espn8.jpg

Kevin
02-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Tessa Virtue and Scott Moiyer were AMAZING in the ice dancing competition.

:nana::nana: GOLD BABY!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I'm a guy, I guess I'm not supposed to like figure skating but they were incredible to watch. She is gorgeous, that helps too. :)

klio
02-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Ski jumping...supporting norwegian Vikings,hihi...especially Anders Jacobsen :)

biomieg
02-23-2010, 02:23 PM
The Netherlands got their third gold in speedskating :rock::dance::rock: (and at least one more to follow for the men's 10 K tomorrow!)

:( ...so sad! Sven came in 1st and rode a new OR but got disqualified because his coach mistakenly told him to change to the inner lane :(

Lily-sai
02-24-2010, 02:04 AM
I DO care whether Finland will beat Czech in ice hockey or not. :scared:

The match will be 5 AM our time, so there is going to be a lot of tired people in their jobs and schools. Well, bosses and teachers usually don't care, when it's about ice hockey AND the Olympics. We're nuts like that.

Gris
02-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Jean, can I ask your opinion on the whole Evgeni Plushenko controversy? You're the only person I know from Russia, so your opinion would be appreciated.

I personally feel that the IOC should strip his medal for his behavior but I'm only seeing it from my American point of view and being informed only the the US media. What we got in the news is that even though he flubbuxed almost every other jump and landing, he feels he should have received the gold medal based on the fact that he completed a quad jump and that alone. Then his website saying he won a "platinum" medal in Vancouver.

I curious how the story was portrayed in the foreign media, and what you think about his behavior after winning only a silver (like that is a terrible thing) and his attitude towards the gold medal winner.

Brice
02-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Jean, can I ask your opinion on the whole Evgeni Plushenko controversy? You're the only person I know from Russia, so your opinion would be appreciated.

I personally feel that the IOC should strip his medal for his behavior but I'm only seeing it from my American point of view and being informed only the the US media. What we got in the news is that even though he flubbuxed almost every other jump and landing, he feels he should have received the gold medal based on the fact that he completed a quad jump and that alone. Then his website saying he won a "platinum" medal in Vancouver.

I curious how the story was portrayed in the foreign media, and what you think about his behavior after winning only a silver (like that is a terrible thing) and his attitude towards the gold medal winner.

Without taking away from his or anyone else's skills the olympics really needs to adopt a don't act like a spoiled fuckin child clause henceforth to be known as the don't be a dick rule.

turtlex
02-24-2010, 10:13 AM
I'm interested in Jean's opinion as well.

Personally, I think Plushenko is about the worst sportsman I've ever seen. Not to mention, he's downright delusional.

Candice Dionysus
02-24-2010, 12:49 PM

I've never curled in my life. :panic: It's the most pointless game in existence. I like "soccer." Futbol.

And no, I don't think it counts as a "sport" if you can play while pregnant. Curling is a pseudo-sport.

Odetta
02-24-2010, 01:50 PM
I think if Plushenko wanted to win, he should have done 4 quads.

If it's less than 4 then all bets are off.

turtlex
02-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Gee, I think he just should have, you know, skated better.

What he did, wasn't that wonderful.

A lot of folks over at FSU ( an ice skating forum ) think the IOC should strip him of his medal on account of all that "I won the PLATINUM" crap. Not to mention, sue him for using their material for a non-existant medal image.

I've just never seen a poorer sport in all my life.

Heather19
02-24-2010, 02:19 PM
Anyone here just watch the hockey match between the USA and Switzerland? That was a great game. There were some very close shots on the goal! The very end of the second period the USA took a shot, but the puck crossed the goal line 0.1 sec after time had ended. :panic:

Lily-sai
02-24-2010, 04:07 PM
YES!! Switzerland's goalie Jonas Hiller is AWESOME.

(sorry, I just had to do the cap attack, because he is! :D )

Jean
02-24-2010, 11:02 PM

Sorry Gris, I haven't been able to watch anything lately, I've only just learned that there was any controversy, and could look into this only briefly - no, that "platinum" medal is a hoax, you know we're famous for hackers: it's Plushchenko's fans who did it, and it was a very bad favor - although if your media hadn't made such a fuss, it would have remained what it was supposed to be, a token gesture - very personal - of loving people. By the way, it was immediately removed. I will learn more about the situation when I can.

A lot of folks over at FSU ( an ice skating forum ) think the IOC should strip him of his medal on account of all that "I won the PLATINUM" crap. Not to mention, sue him for using their material for a non-existant medal image. Sorry? I have read what he said, and it wasn't anything like what you're quoting. He said that silver was worth platinum to him, for all the effort it took. I understand that it's your media that deceived you into believing he did something horrible, but why would you hurry to buy it?

David
02-24-2010, 11:54 PM
If Plushenko had wanted to win, he'd have adopted to the change in rules, rather than assuming he was the best in his own mind & assumptive winner based soley on one quad... period. He's a macho deuchbag, bad sport. The judging criteria didn't change mere moments before his skate. He wants the rules to change to suit his comfort level, and I fart in his general direction.

The sliding has been tragic and epic. Did anyone catch the two man Women's bobsleigh ejection yesterday? Horrificly terrifying. The NBC commentators can be heard wincing nearly every luge, skeleton and bobsleigh run, thusfar. 4 man bobsleigh is expected to top 96 mph. Holy the man Jesus, with a 40 foot drop, this will be the stuff of slider legend.

Curling. Dissapointed. Still watching, but disappointed.

The hockey? Fans will be talking about these games for eons.

Glitchgames, or not. Olympics appeal to a certain thing in me where I think that we can all find common ground. Naive' for sure, but irregardless, it's the better part of our nature.

turtlex
02-25-2010, 02:02 AM
Jean - I agree our different media coverage is probably vast in it's take on this issue ... but, honestly, Plushenko has been making some very unsportsmanlike comments. And that bit about the Platinum.. isn't it something like ""Silver of Salt Lake, Gold of Torino, Platinum of Vancouver." on his website?

Did Plushenko not say -- "Quad is quad. If the Olympic champion doesn't know how to jump the quad, I don't know. Now it's not men's figure skating, it's dancing. That's my point."

Brice
02-25-2010, 03:34 AM
Regarding Plushenko: He's obviously a damn good skater whether one likes his attitude or not. I do wonder though if perhaps his words are getting twisted a little. I'm not saying they are, but it's easy for the media to do that in one's own language, imagine how easy it is when the ones portraying things a certain way are the translators too. Again it may be that he's a total ass, but I'm not entirely sure. I do think somewhat that he's convinced he's great though.

David
02-25-2010, 04:35 AM
I do wonder though if perhaps his words are getting twisted a little.

It's that his words are getting heard at ALL. Who cares what he thinks after the fact? He's the one that's now turning this sport into a (song and) dance. Always the drama bullshite that makes people dismiss figure skating, and sure as shit, there he goes, furthering the sterotype.

It has NADA to do with who bested him within established standards. He's a hero in his own mind. If he did a quint and knitted a skirt, that would be great, but there happens to be more complex nuance, or they'd just do a spin-off and be done with it. Good riddance. Retire, already.

Odetta
02-25-2010, 07:02 AM
Everyone should also remember...

English is not his native tongue. My thoughts are, if he spoke it in Russian, the context would probably make more sense.
Sometimes, things come out sounding blunt when you are speaking in a language other than your primary language.

Besides, he is allowed to feel that quads are a must in skating. He can do them. It is no different than our supposed top athlete skater, Patrick Chan, saying that a quad doesn't make you a man. He says that because he can't do one and he needs to build up his own confidence.

David
02-25-2010, 07:53 AM
It isn't a language barrier, though. He SAID he should have won IN ENGLISH because he did the quad. It MIGHT be a national pride thing (Putin even chimed in), but he said he should have won because he did a quad. He isn't backing down from that, nor should we expect him to. He said it. He thinks he was robbed because of the quad. He's stuck on it. Primadonna.

Odetta
02-25-2010, 09:15 AM
what do you expect? it's ice skating... most of them are primadonnas

Ruthful
02-28-2010, 07:00 PM
HOCKEY!!!!!!!!

Wow. This is crazy, but the past two weeks I've actually been interested in hockey results.

Go figure.

turtlex
03-01-2010, 03:07 AM
Wow.

Props to Canada on the Hockey GOLD !! What a game.

Well played !!!

Odetta
03-01-2010, 06:58 AM
CAN-A-DA!

Did anyone watch closing ceremonies? I was laughing so hard for the big montage with all of the Canadian stereotypes!

turtlex
03-01-2010, 07:55 AM
I think one of my favorite Olympic television segments was a little featurette that NBC did with the athletes called "Do You Know Canada?"... NBC asked a bunch of Olympic Athletes trivia about Canada and almost none got any of the answers right... it was done in a very tongue-in-cheek manner ....

My all time favorite response was :

NBC : Who is the Queen of Canada ??
Tanith Belbin/Figure Skating : (without missing a beat) Celine Dion !!!!!

:rofl:

Brice
03-01-2010, 08:18 AM

mae
07-26-2012, 01:25 PM
http://wrcb.images.worldnow.com/images/19046641_BG1.jpg

So the 2012 Summer Olympic Games in London have actually already started:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/07/25/the-olympics-technically-started-todaywait-what/

Getting pumped for Olympics to start? Well, you’re already missing it.

Women’s soccer kicked off Wednesday in Glasgow, Scotland’s Hampden Park. Great Britain took on New Zealand at 8 a.m. PDT, and the U.S. played France at 9. That means Abby Wambach, Alex Morgan, Hope Solo, and the rest of the gang will be more than 400 miles from the Olympic Park in London during the opening ceremonies on Friday, which is kind of a bummer.

But the U.S. players must have expected as much: this is the fourth Olympics in a row in which the U.S. women’s soccer team has begun play before the Games officially opened. The Olympic committee has determined over the past few years that the women’s soccer players must take the field before the opening ceremonies because the extra days that are needed to play all the games necessary with a sufficient amount of rest time in between matchups.

Unfortunately, this is the third year the U.S. women’s soccer team will not be able to march in the opening ceremonies. “I would love to be in the opening ceremonies,” two-time Olympian Lauren Cheney told the Los Angeles Times. “I’ve never experienced it. [But] I can’t say I’m, like, sad about missing out.”

The entire women’s soccer tournament will take place outside of the host city, with the exception of the final gold medal game in London. So to make it to Olympic Park at all, the U.S. has to beat 5 teams. But they’re off to a promising start: on Wednesday, the U.S. team beat France, who was ranked sixth in the latest FIFA rankings and has won 17 consecutive games since losing the game for third place in last summer’s World Cup. Alex Morgan scored twice in the 4-2 win, with Abby Wambach and Carli Lloyd also contributing goals.

The team will certainly want to make it to London, if only to get a shot at playing in front of a bigger audience: Olympics officials said that around 37,000 fans were expected at the U.S.-France, Colombia-North Korea doubleheader Wednesday, but that 80 percent of those tickets had been handed out for free to local schools and clubs. And those fans did not even get to see both games as scheduled: North Korea’s team refused to take the field for over an hour after Olympic organizers accidentally displayed the South Korean flag on the jumbo screen instead of that of North Korea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Summer_Olympics#Calendar

Stockerlone
07-27-2012, 01:06 AM
The first thing what I saw on TV was the absolutely embarrassing Korea flags error:excited:.
I would imagine myself not at all what flag is hoisted by the funny UK guy´s, if Germany wins the first medallie.:doh:

Brice
07-27-2012, 07:48 AM
Korea is big enough to have their own flag?

Jean
07-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Korea is big enough to have their own flag?big enough to have two, in fact

mae
07-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Probably a subtle British hint at Korean reunification :)

fernandito
07-27-2012, 11:07 AM
I'm all over the soccer coverage.

Brice
07-27-2012, 12:22 PM
So when you go to mexico do you call it soccer or futbol? Which do you think of it as? I'm just curious.

fernandito
07-27-2012, 12:33 PM
The only time I refer to it as soccer is when I'm talking about it with a non-Spanish speaking/American crowd.

English speaking Europeans know it as football.

mae
07-27-2012, 05:42 PM
I love watching the parade of nations, but hate that they have to break it up with commercials :(

Ricky
07-27-2012, 05:49 PM
I can't believe we're still on C. Jeeze. :lol:

mae
07-27-2012, 06:12 PM
It's not live anyway, I don't understand why they have to do that catch up after a break. Just show the whole thing. I think it's just unfair to the countries that get recapped.

Brice
07-27-2012, 08:21 PM
The only time I refer to it as soccer is when I'm talking about it with a non-Spanish speaking/American crowd.

English speaking Europeans know it as football.

So what do you call our football? :unsure:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-28-2012, 03:04 AM
Bout to get off work and go watch some olympics on "On Demand"

Merlin1958
07-28-2012, 04:21 PM
Lochte took the 400m!!! Phelps was 4th!!!

biomieg
07-28-2012, 11:32 PM
Our ladies swimming team wasn't able to defend their Olympic title on the 4x100 m relay this time (they won gold in Beijing and they also won several world championships) but they still finished second! Wooohooo! Our gymnast Epke Zonderland finished first in the high bar qualifications. Finals on August 7...

More opportunities for The Netherlands today with cyclist Marianne Vos and the qualification rounds for the ladies' hockey team (also defending their Olympic title).

Who's going to watch the US basketball Dream Team play France?

Stockerlone
07-29-2012, 01:28 AM
There's only one Dream Team,
the original with Magic Johnson, M. Jordan, K.Malone, J. Stockton, Charles Barkley, Larry Bird .....:onfire:
Would of course look, if the U.S. team can win against Tony Parker and his team.

Mattrick
02-16-2014, 07:58 PM
How the heck is there no Olympics thread?

How's everyone's country doing? Canada isn't getting as many golds as we did in Vancouver but we're still near the top for overall medal count. The hockey has been great too watch and there has been a lot of good moments so far, like Junio Gilmour giving up his spot to his Canadian Speed Skating teammate who ended up winning gold, and the Canadian ski-coach who gave a ski to a Russian skier who was hobbling along with a broken ski.

Shannon
02-16-2014, 09:21 PM
What's a Canada?

biomieg
02-17-2014, 02:56 AM
'We' are doing pretty damn well I think, with 17 medals so far and complete domination of virtually every speed skating event. Of course, we suck at everything else ;)

mae
02-17-2014, 03:51 AM
The Dutch have been absolutely killing in speed-skating, it's astonishing. Netherlands finished top-four in the women's 1500 m. event....

webstar1000
02-17-2014, 04:21 AM
What's a Canada?

It is where some of us on the forum are from. Should I make fun of "A America"?

biomieg
02-17-2014, 04:43 AM
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1606989_681177681934165_1735862064_n.png

webstar1000
02-17-2014, 04:44 AM
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1606989_681177681934165_1735862064_n.png

You guys are killing it for sure Michael:) Good job!

Br!an
02-17-2014, 05:26 AM
I've enjoyed watching some of it. I like most of the sports.

I don't go in for the hype, propaganda, jingoism and nationalism though.

I'm very glad of the DVR so I can skip the BS.

stroppygoblin
02-17-2014, 05:48 AM
Love the curling. It's a great tactical sport, but you only get to see it on TV once every 4 years - shame.

biomieg
02-17-2014, 06:25 AM
I agree that it's a shame that most of these sports are hardly every broadcast other than during the Winter Olympics. I haven't watched everything but my wife and I really like seeing all the different stuff these amazing athletes are doing.

Stockerlone
02-17-2014, 07:07 AM
Looks nice for the German Team...:dance:

Olympia - Sotschi: Medaillenspiegel Olympia nach 46 von 98 Entscheidungen

Rang Land Gold Silber Bronze Gesamt
1. Deutschland 7 3 2 12
2. Schweiz 5 1 1 7
3. Kanada 4 5 2 11
4. Norwegen 4 3 6 13
4. USA 4 3 6 13
6. Niederlande 4 3 5 12
7. Weißrussland 3 0 1 4
8. Russland 2 5 5 12
9. Österreich 2 4 1 7
10. China 2 2 0 4
11. Frankreich 2 0 2 4
12. Polen 2 0 0 2
13. Schweden 1 5 2 8
14. Japan 1 2 1 4
15. Slowenien 1 1 2 4
16. Großbritannien 1 0 1 2
16. Südkorea 1 0 1 2
18. Slowakei 1 0 0 1
19. Italien 0 2 2 4
20. Tschechien 0 2 1 3
21. Finnland 0 2 0 2
22. Australien 0 1 1 2
23. Kroatien 0 1 0 1
24. Lettland 0 0 2 2
25. Kasachstan 0 0 1 1
25. Ukraine 0 0 1 1

biomieg
02-17-2014, 08:08 AM
Your list is not up to date, Frank! The Netherlands are in second place now with 17 medals.

1 Duitsland 7 3 2 12
2 Nederland 5 5 7 17
3 Noorwegen 5 3 7 15
4 Zwitserland 5 1 1 7
5 Rusland 4 7 5 16
6 Canada 4 6 4 14
7 Verenigde Staten 4 4 8 16
8 Wit-Rusland 4 0 1 5
9 Polen 4 0 0 4
10 China 3 2 0 5
11 Zweden 2 5 2 9
12 Oostenrijk 2 4 1 7
13 Frankrijk 2 0 4 6
14 Japan 1 3 1 5
14 Tsjechië 1 3 1 5
16 Slovenië 1 1 3 5
17 Zuid-Korea 1 1 1 3
18 Groot-Brittannië 1 0 1 2
19 Slowakije 1 0 0 1
20 Italië 0 2 3 5
21 Finland 0 2 0 2
22 Letland 0 1 2 3
23 Australië 0 1 1 2
24 Kroatië 0 1 0 1
25 Oekraïne 0 0 1 1
25 Kazachstan 0 0 1 1

biomieg
02-17-2014, 08:15 AM
Which sports impressed you guys the most? I have to say, this was the first time I really paid attention to figure skating and I really loved it. I was especially fond of the performances of US youngster Jason Brown!

Mattrick
02-17-2014, 08:52 AM
Love the curling. It's a great tactical sport, but you only get to see it on TV once every 4 years - shame.

It's always on TV in Canada...and the ratings are ridiculous.

Mattrick
02-17-2014, 08:57 AM
Which sports impressed you guys the most? I have to say, this was the first time I really paid attention to figure skating and I really loved it. I was especially fond of the performances of US youngster Jason Brown!

I watched reigning gold medalists Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir kick some ass yesterday. Patrick Chan got silver which meant all the hype for this kid the past like six or seven years hasn't been a waste. Hard to believe some people are saying he choked...sure Canada has never won a Gold in male figure skating but a medal is a medal and it's impressive as heck nonetheless, no matter the colour.

EXPLORER
02-17-2014, 11:04 AM

Found curling interesting to watch, however took some research to figure how they score.
Found this during my research:
http://www.realradio.fm/onair/the-philips-phile-live-blog-50035/olympic-cat-curling-12069326/?fb_action_ids=10152272914983653&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210152272914983653%22%3A147 1774596376363%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210152272914983653%22%3A%22og .recommends%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

Lurker
02-17-2014, 12:46 PM
Did someone say curling?
http://i885.photobucket.com/albums/ac54/ICONfan/JawaCurl.jpg

biomieg
02-17-2014, 01:25 PM
Some funny figure skating shots :)

http://0.static.upcoming.nl/static/images/3a85cd24c4_1392393543_funny-face-2011-world-skating-championships-7__list-noup.jpg
http://1.static.upcoming.nl/static/images/85cc42dd6e_1392393579_top-five-stupid-faces-from-the-london-2012-ol-L-plYpOX__list-noup.jpg
http://1.static.upcoming.nl/static/images/799e733276_1392393600_Funny-faces-of-figure-skaters12__list-noup.jpg
http://0.static.upcoming.nl/static/images/c8cf9f3660_1392393640_top-five-stupid-faces-from-the-london-2012-ol-L-Ei8wtC__list-noup.jpg
http://1.static.upcoming.nl/static/images/b5c5de6c05_1392393557_Hilarious-Sports-faces-figure-skating-diving12__list-noup.jpg
http://1.static.upcoming.nl/static/images/ac6f0c86cb_1392393695_Funny-faces-of-figure-skaters09__list-noup.jpg
http://1.static.upcoming.nl/static/images/aaf0734952_1392393712_funny-face-2011-world-skating-championships-9__list-noup.jpg
http://1.static.upcoming.nl/static/images/9801faa4bd_1392393734_Funny-faces-of-figure-skaters10__list-noup.jpg
http://1.static.upcoming.nl/static/images/2e125cf4bc_1392393783_b94c485882fadfefddc2ccb0a556 fc45__list-noup.jpg
http://0.static.upcoming.nl/static/images/2d877c1ba3_1392393798_funny-face-2011-world-skating-championships-4__list-noup.jpg
http://1.static.upcoming.nl/static/images/5867f43514_1392393940_funny-face-2011-world-skating-championships-5__list-noup.jpg
http://0.static.upcoming.nl/static/images/3d04795adc_1392393855_Funny-faces-of-figure-skaters17__list-noup.jpg
http://0.static.upcoming.nl/static/images/6f6ab47ae3_1392394094_Hilarious-Sports-faces-figure-skating-diving22__list-noup.jpg
http://0.static.upcoming.nl/static/images/7c952bc677_1392394117_Hilarious-Sports-faces-figure-skating-diving15__list-noup.jpg
http://1.static.upcoming.nl/static/images/a6c7dc564b_1392393843_enhanced-buzz-9227-1327959141-69__list-noup.jpg

I don't think they're all from this edition of the Olympics, but hey...

Still Servant
02-17-2014, 05:23 PM
I look like every single one of those photos when I watch figure skating.

RUBE
02-18-2014, 08:51 PM
I have watched some of the events (mainly skiing, snowboarding, and bobsled) but I don't get too into the winter Olympics. That and I cringe everytime I see someone wipeout (having broke a leg skiing myself.)

Heather19
02-19-2014, 06:02 AM

Me too, it's my favorite. It's really the only reason I watch the winter olympics. The thing that sucks though is that the US is so bad at it, and they're the only matches they show. I would much rather watch the better teams play. Now it's down to the semi-finals so we should get to finally see some good ones.

mae
02-19-2014, 06:11 AM

Me too, it's my favorite. It's really the only reason I watch the winter olympics. The thing that sucks though is that the US is so bad at it, and they're the only matches they show. I would much rather watch the better teams play. Now it's down to the semi-finals so we should get to finally see some good ones.

Thankfully, NBC is (in this case, was) streaming every single event live: http://www.nbcolympics.com/olympics-live-extra-schedule So I did get to watch several good curling matches, hockey games, and other competitions that don't normally get much airtime, much less live and in full.

Heather19
02-19-2014, 06:42 AM
Oh wow, I didn't know that. I went onto the website a few times to try to find the full matches after they happened but all they had was a recap.

mae
02-19-2014, 07:06 AM
Yeah and they did this for the London Olympics as well. With Sochi being ahead 9 hours, events start at midnight ET, going until 3 PM or so. So you either need to wake up very early or go to bed really late. A lot is still being shown on TV, on NBCSN, MSNBC, CNBC, NBC, and USA.

stroppygoblin
02-19-2014, 11:08 AM
GB in the men's final :clap:

That was a hell if a semi- could have gone either way!

CRinVA
02-19-2014, 12:06 PM
I love the snowboarding races - there are plenty of crash and burns - its crazy!

I do think NBC has gobne too far on some of their intervies - they seem to be trying to bring the worst out of everybody. Case in point - Bode Miller - the interviewer kept harping on his dead brother until he had to walk away from the interview - was that necessary!!!

Merlin1958
02-19-2014, 03:29 PM
So, the US Hockey team is one win from a medal and two from a gold!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gfD134ED54

Mattrick
02-19-2014, 06:12 PM
Canada will play Latvia in the semi-finals friday and while I'm not saying easy win, I'm just glad it's not the Swiss who have given us some problems in international play...just like we've given the American's a few silver medals in hockey, beat you guys at on your soil AND our soil. OH CANADA, WE STAND UP FOR HOCKEY lol It's a shame we've gotten so few golds though, and so many silvers this year...usually Canada either doesn't medal at all, or we take gold or bronze, rarely we get more than a few silvers from my memory. I just hope our record for most golds in the winter games stands for four more years.

I prefer the winter olympics over the summer olympics, I just find there are a lot more events I'd like to watch. Like the biathalon destroys the summer olympics itself.

Merlin1958
02-19-2014, 06:20 PM
Canada will play Latvia in the semi-finals friday and while I'm not saying easy win, I'm just glad it's not the Swiss who have given us some problems in international play...just like we've given the American's a few silver medals in hockey, beat you guys at on your soil AND our soil. OH CANADA, WE STAND UP FOR HOCKEY lol It's a shame we've gotten so few golds though, and so many silvers this year...usually Canada either doesn't medal at all, or we take gold or bronze, rarely we get more than a few silvers from my memory. I just hope our record for most golds in the winter games stands for four more years.

I prefer the winter olympics over the summer olympics, I just find there are a lot more events I'd like to watch. Like the biathalon destroys the summer olympics itself.

Canada, IS hockey, but you never beat the Russians in 1980!!! Can you say, "Miracle"????

Mattrick
02-19-2014, 06:25 PM
We were too busy beating them in '76, hashtag summit series. You guys were four years too late! :P

Mattrick
02-19-2014, 06:26 PM
I do own Miracle on DVD though. Russell is the man.

Merlin1958
02-19-2014, 06:31 PM
We were too busy beating them in '76, hashtag summit series. You guys were four years too late! :P

I do own Miracle on DVD though. Russell is the man.

I was just fooling about. American pride and all. That is a great film!!

Mattrick
02-19-2014, 06:57 PM
Miracle and Mystery, Alaska I think are the two best hockey films I've ever seen.

Merlin1958
02-19-2014, 07:00 PM
Miracle and Mystery, Alaska I think are the two best hockey films I've ever seen.

Can't argue with those.

Mattrick
02-20-2014, 01:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh4kECZiXyM

Canadian Sports Talk show host Sid Seixeiro goes off on ice dancing at the Olympics...it's fantastic. Check it out everyone!

Canadian Figure Skating icon, Elvis Stojko saw this rant and said, "Sid, Chill...it's just Ice Dancing."

Jean
02-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Adelina Sotnikova!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

: crazy bearDance :

: bears in tears of rapture :

biomieg
02-20-2014, 11:09 AM
Congratulations, Jean. I loved it :)

Kingfan24
02-20-2014, 12:07 PM
This is why hockey over time is a horrible idea. Sudden death? Really? That's why the NFL changed their sudden death rules to not allow field goals as a winning score. Hockey overtime should be straight up 5 v 5, 10 minutes. No goals = penalty shoot outs. What's so hard about that? Virtually every sport besides hockey has done away with sudden death. You don't see the NBA over time ending in sudden death, or even the World Cup in soccer.

webstar1000
02-20-2014, 12:09 PM
Way to go. The woman's hockey team's did super well. Good job Canada for the win! Well deserved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bev Vincent
02-20-2014, 12:18 PM
A great day for Canada -- women's curling and hockey. What an amazing finish.

biomieg
02-20-2014, 01:00 PM
Congrats, guys! I really enjoyed watching the ladies' hockey final.

Mattrick
02-20-2014, 01:31 PM
This is why hockey over time is a horrible idea. Sudden death? Really? That's why the NFL changed their sudden death rules to not allow field goals as a winning score. Hockey overtime should be straight up 5 v 5, 10 minutes. No goals = penalty shoot outs. What's so hard about that? Virtually every sport besides hockey has done away with sudden death. You don't see the NBA over time ending in sudden death, or even the World Cup in soccer.

Are you kidding me? Take away Sudden Death? That's what makes hockey what it is. You can't beat sudden death overtime in the NHL playoffs, you just can't...especially when it goes into the third overtime. Getting rid of sudden death overtime in hockey would be like castrating the sport. Sudden Death just doesn't work in other sports which is why they did away with it...it could take hours for someone in soccer to score and in the NBA it would take 8 seconds. If anything, NHL will do away with their shootouts eight times before they get rid of sudden death.

Bev Vincent
02-20-2014, 01:33 PM
I don't have any problem with sudden death, either. That game could have been decided by a puck that went off a linesman's skate -- the deflection hit the post of the empty net. If the linesman hadn't gotten in the way, the puck would have gone along the boards and never been a threat.

The NFL does have sudden death, though, doesn't it? If you get a touchdown on your first possession in OT, game over.

Mattrick
02-20-2014, 01:56 PM
Unless they changed the NFL rules since I started watching, in the NFL they always allowed the other team a single drive to give them a chance to tie/win or at least from my recollection.

Bev Vincent
02-20-2014, 02:16 PM
Owners voted Wednesday at the NFL Annual Meeting in Palm Beach, Fla., to adopt the postseason overtime modified sudden death format in the regular season as well. Teams now will have the opportunity to possess the ball at least once in the extra period unless the team that receives the overtime kickoff scores a touchdown on its first possession.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827ee2c0/article/nfl-overtime-rules

Jon
02-20-2014, 08:42 PM
I was a soccer (American poser!) goalie for years. I LOVED sudden death! I lived for it! I can understand how a hockey player feels.

Bev Vincent
02-21-2014, 11:14 AM
What an awesome hockey game. I didn't think I was going to survive the last two minutes.

mae
02-21-2014, 11:25 AM
What an awesome hockey game. I didn't think I was going to survive the last two minutes.

Not very awesome....

Mattrick
02-21-2014, 11:30 AM
Man, for a 1-0 game it wasn't even close. We just controlled play and if not for Quick playing like Quick can that could have been 5-0 or 6-0. BRING ON SWEDEN!!!! Have to cheer against some of my Sens, and Alfie, but BRING IT OOONNNNNN!!!!!!!! 7 AM START TIME SUCKS BUT WHATEVS.

Jean
02-21-2014, 02:17 PM
: dies of envy :

I hope to live up to the time when our ice hockey is restored to its former glory...

evilash
02-21-2014, 02:26 PM
I have 3 new ulcers and may have suffered a minor stroke but the result was totally worth it!! GO CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bev Vincent
02-21-2014, 02:27 PM
I didn't expect them to be so dominant, but when you see Canada's defenceman behind the opposing team's net, you know they're on top of things.

Mattrick
02-21-2014, 03:15 PM
: dies of envy :

I hope to live up to the time when our ice hockey is restored to its former glory...

Problem with the Russian program is they have no defencemen. They have a lot of individual skill up front but when you take out Malkin or Datsyuk out of the line-up they lose all their versatility, playmaking and leadership...Russia would have been a different team had Datsyuk been in there, he's phenomonal, one of the best playing today for sure.

Bev Vincent
02-22-2014, 09:51 AM
Ouch. The USA team wasn't terribly impressive yesterday. Today, they stayed home.

Mattrick
02-22-2014, 10:13 AM
In the last few minutes I wouldn't have thought it terribly bad if they had just sat on the ice and started playing monopoly or something; hot at the wrong time.

Mattrick
02-23-2014, 04:44 AM
1-0 CANADAAAAA!!!!!!!! Let's go!

Damn Jean, your Russians went OFF the past couple of days iwinning medals. I'm just glad our record of 14 gold medals is still in tact. 33 Overall medals...makes up for the disappointment in hockey.

Mattrick
02-23-2014, 06:44 AM
GIVE CANADA THE HORNS!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH3oxWgoQnM

evilash
02-23-2014, 07:35 AM
Woo Hoo!!! Canada is Hockey!!

Bev Vincent
02-23-2014, 07:47 AM
Sidney Crosby's goal was a thing of beauty. Awesome game.

Jean
02-24-2014, 03:40 AM
Hockey or no hockey, bears modestly accept congratulations!!

http://globalnews.ca/news/1120521/full-medal-count-from-the-2014-sochi-olympics/

13 gold medals, 33 total!!! Vivat!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://static.shop.sochi2014.com/multimedia/images/upload/goods/9/f/a/9fa84840f42d5044cd13ad53cef0a3ba_157690_7851_b.jpg

CRinVA
02-24-2014, 06:19 AM
Jean - watching the Sochi closing ceremonies and seeing the giant Bear I immediately thought of you! :-)

I wasn't really a fan of the opening ceremonies, but I really did like the closing ceremonies!

As with all US Olypmic broadcasts, there are several human interest stories. My fave this year was about a Paralympic champion swimmer adopted out of Russia as a three month old infant 21 years ago. The young woman, Jessica Long in the United States and Tatiana Kirilova to her birth mother, went back to Bratsk and found her birth family. She met her natural parents and siblings; not half brothers/sisters, but full! This is not a young woman who has harbored bitterness or anger about her birth family giving her up, or about having two leg prostheses. The videos showing her at various stages of her life showed that not having any legs below the knees didn't seem to hamper her living and life successes. She’s made so much of her life, and she also was eager to open her heart to the Russian woman who at age 16 had given her life and then not knowing what else to do to care for a highly disabled baby gave up for adoption. Their reuinion after 21 years was quite emotional and heartfelt. Jessica/Tatiana not only proved to be a physical champion in life (swimming and setting all sorts of paralympic records), but a human being full of wisdom and love and gratitude. She could have hated her birth parents for giving up on her, but she loves them for giving her llife and being brave enough to give her up to a better life than they could provide.