PDA

View Full Version : Future Music Corp: Out There, Somewhere

Gaberax
08-07-2008, 06:10 PM
You make your way through the last part of the house, circling back around through the cramped hallway and into the small living room. Wretched pieces of furniture huddle in the same spot where they have huddled for decades. End tables groan under the weight of forgotten magazines, newspapers and unopened mail, half-filled ashtrays, unfinished coffee cups and empty bottles of prescription drugs. A threadbare curtain neither complements nor obscures the window; it pathetically acts as frightened, desperate hands thrown up to block probing, curious eyes. The walls are dingy and stained. Cobwebs hang in copious amounts in the corners. A bright macramé blanket, thrown over the back of the couch, adds the only drop of color to this sea gray room. Rounding the couch, you settle slowly into it, facing the fireplace. You fumble with your briefcase and remove a sheaf of typed papers. Perusing them, and with the information you have gathered from the walk-through, you begin to formulate a rough estimate of the house’s worth.

“This place is really in sad shape,” you absently mumble. You check off the deficiencies of each room in your head, in the same order as the walk-through, mentally arriving at last to the small living room. The house will not turn a big profit for you or your company.

Rubbing your tired eyes, you lean back in the couch. It is musty, well worn and surprisingly comfortable. Your eyes drift to the fireplace’s mantle before you. Two dust-covered picture frames stand a silent vigil at each end of the mantle. The picture on the left is that of a man ( http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b230/Gaberax/Man.gif).

As you stare at the man’s picture, you begin to have flashes of insight, visions come unbidden. What could they mean?

Shaking your head to clear your thoughts, you look to the picture on your right. It is the picture of a woman ( http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b230/Gaberax/Woman.gif).

Again, a flood of images bombard your subconscious mind, struggling toward understanding. You feel as if you are receiving a message…but what is it?

Jon
08-07-2008, 10:34 PM
My only aid is that the second on woman is The Czech Republic. (Formerly known as Czechoslovachia.)

The Lady of Shadows
08-07-2008, 10:41 PM
oooooh. are we aiding each other? how extremely cool! here's what i've got. anybody want to help a turtle out?

the man is:

iman (david bowie's wife)
tea, cup, drink, horse, coffee, or beverage
buy, pay or purchase
wallace shawn

the woman is:

czech or Czechoslovachia (i would have never gotten that)
shell, clam, or oyster
calendar, may, or sunday (but sunday is at the end of the week which is strange and may and the sundays are in red if i remember correctly)
sean connery

Maturins_Daughter
08-08-2008, 04:51 AM
those clues seem to lead to

anticipation (iman teacup pay shawn)
exclamation (czech clam may sean)

Gaberax
08-08-2008, 05:56 AM
those clues seem to lead to

Maturins_Daughter, you are close, so VERY close

PS The pictures on the mantle are clues, themselves...

B Rag
08-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Ooh, I got it! But since MD, turtlesong, and Jon did most of the work, I won't steal it. :P

John_and_Yoko
08-08-2008, 10:21 AM
I got it too, but I'm also not going to say what it is because I don't know how the components were arrived at....

*is confused*

EDIT: Never mind, I didn't look at either picture for long enough.... :blush:

I still won't say what it is, except that it should be patently obvious....

The Lady of Shadows
08-08-2008, 10:44 AM
okay, the only thing i can even think of just looking at my words are the immancipation proclaimation but i don't get how i got it. and i don't think it's right. so if it's so f'n obvious somebody please explain it to the stupid turtle. :lol:

John_and_Yoko
08-08-2008, 10:47 AM
okay, the only thing i can even think of just looking at my words are the immancipation proclaimation but i don't get how i got it. and i don't think it's right. so if it's so f'n obvious somebody please explain it to the stupid turtle. :lol:

Emancipation Proclamation is right.

Iman
Sip
Pay
Shawn

Prague (capital of the Czech Republic--the name is smudged out in the picture)
Clam
May
Sean

And it makes sense because of who the man and woman are (okay, I don't know who the woman is, but the man is Frederick Douglass).

Get it now?

The Lady of Shadows
08-08-2008, 10:55 AM
okay. i was missing the prague part. and boy did i butcher the spelling - how embarrassing for me. :harrier:

John_and_Yoko
08-08-2008, 10:58 AM
okay. i was missing the prague part. and boy did i butcher the spelling - how embarrassing for me. :harrier:

Nah, it's okay. :) And that's always a risk when you piece together words like this....

Anyway, I feel embarrassed for not having looked at the pictures for long enough.... I might have gotten it entirely on my own....

The Lady of Shadows
08-08-2008, 11:01 AM
gabe totally rocks on these. and i love that he can make those magical gifs. he just pops in here - puts up a kick ass puzzle - and wanders away. :ninja:

Jon
08-08-2008, 09:47 PM
oooooh. are we aiding each other? how extremely cool! here's what i've got. anybody want to help a turtle out?

Yes. I have always felt that it was all of us against the riddlemaster. This is why I always encourage even dumb answers/observations...I post dumb fuckin' shit too!

B Rag
08-08-2008, 09:57 PM

Yes. I have always felt that it was all of us against the riddlemaster. This is why I always encourage even dumb answers/observations...I post dumb fuckin' shit too!

But what's your excuse for your posts in other forums? :P

Jon
08-08-2008, 10:38 PM
:PLOL You mean like in my poetry thread??

(I walked RIGHT THE FUCK into that one didn't I?)

(mean bastard!)

B Rag
08-09-2008, 09:20 PM
:lol:

Gaberax
08-11-2008, 01:14 PM
A gaggle of geese to everyone listed in the thread! :clap: Great group effort! Thank you ALL for playing. :clap:

Jon
08-12-2008, 12:50 AM
Great riddle Gabe!

NemelChelovek
08-14-2008, 05:23 PM
I love solving these by myself, getting all excited, and then realizing that it was solved three days ago. I also thought the man was Karl Marx...THEY BOTH HAVE BEARDS AND RATHER UNKEMPT HAIR DAMN IT.

John_and_Yoko
08-14-2008, 05:48 PM
I love solving these by myself, getting all excited, and then realizing that it was solved three days ago. I also thought the man was Karl Marx...THEY BOTH HAVE BEARDS AND RATHER UNKEMPT HAIR DAMN IT.

Don't feel bad, I used to make that mistake--same with Mark Twain and Albert Einstein.... :P

VastOne
08-23-2008, 09:09 PM

Nah, it's okay. :) And that's always a risk when you piece together words like this....

Anyway, I feel embarrassed for not having looked at the pictures for long enough.... I might have gotten it entirely on my own....

You were not alone in doing this, I was freakin out trying to figure out how they were arriving at the answers from what was there...

This was well conceived and done!