PDA

View Full Version : Reading habits

Letti
05-25-2007, 12:28 PM
I guess we all have reading habits.
For example I read many books at the some time. I mean this day I read this one and on the other day I read another one. Usually I read 2 or 3 books. (Altought these days I have so little free tiem to read that I am happy if I can read one, too.)
I never listen to the radio or any music when I am reading a book. When I am reading a book I can do nothing else but reading and being in the story. Being there with all my mind and heart.
I can read everywhere - on buses, in a park, in the middle of a city and of course at home.
I love reading on buses.
I have tons of bookmarkers... anything can be a bookmarker if I like it... a picture.. a card.. a postcard.. or a cinema ticket.

So...

Do you read one or more books at the same time?
Are you doing anything else while you are reading? Do you listen to music or TV?
Where do you usually read and where and how do you love reading?
Do you use bookmarkers? Have you got many or one forever favourite one?
How old were you when you started reading?
Who taught you to read? Were you willing? Do you remember your first books?

I am listening to you guys. I think our habits tell a lot about ourselves. :couple:

Bethany
05-25-2007, 12:42 PM
TMI Time--Most of my reading is done in the bathroom since that is the only place I can get away from the girls. A long, hot Lush bath is the best way to go but sometime beggars can't be choosers. :P I always have multiple books going at once--like right now I've got Bag of Bones, From A Buick 8 and The Mormon Murders going. Besides the throne room, I like reading in the park watching the girls play; will sneak one in the desk at work if it's bring enough and pretty much anywhere I can get some peace and quiet. As for book marks, I've already established that I turn down corners.

Letti
05-25-2007, 12:49 PM
TMI Time--Most of my reading is done in the bathroom

Sounds good but I would be afraid to drop the book into the bath. I am so damn clumsy. :lol:

Bethany
05-25-2007, 12:55 PM
I was pretty sick when WoTC came out so I read most if it in the tub. I don't know if anyone else had this problem but the cover of my copy bled really bad so I had this horrible black stain across my tummy from propping the book there and it lasted several weeks.

Erin
05-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Do you read one or more books at the same time? I usually read two at once. One lighter easier read, and then something else I've been wanting to learn about like a non-fiction book or series of articles. If I've had a tough day, I read the lighter stuff. For example, right now i'm reading the 4th Harry Potter book as well as a biography on Julius Caeser at the same time.

Are you doing anything else while you are reading? Do you listen to music or TV? While I can read with the TV or radio on (I'm good at blocking out noises and focusing on the book) I prefer to read in silence.

Where do you usually read and where and how do you love reading? I usually read either on the sofa in the living room, in bed before going to sleep or if it is nice out, on the lounge chair on the front porch.

Do you use bookmarkers? Have you got many or one forever favourite one? I either use my really cool Star Wars bookmark with C3PO and R2 on it or I will sometimes use scraps of paper or napkins.

Matt
05-25-2007, 01:59 PM
I "read" more than one book at a time because I am always actually reading one and listening to one on my commute at the same time. Sometimes I get people messed up :lol:

A whole bunch of stuff can be going on while I am reading but I am not there. People can be playing music or partying around me, watching TV or whatever and it doesn't bother me but they better not expect me to interact at all.

I usually read in my bed. I cannot read in anything that is moving because there is something wrong with my brain and it makes me feel like I am going to pass out for some reason. <_<

I use bookmarks but its usually just a card or a piece of paper that I have laying around.

VolsToTheWall
05-25-2007, 06:34 PM

I only read one book at a time. I've always been like that, even if I get a new book that I have been looking forward to, I make myself wait until I've finished the current book I'm reading. I guess I'm a little O/C about it because even if I'm re-reading a series of books, I like to finish the whole series before I move on to another book. I do have an exception to this rule though. Magazines and comics. I will stop reading the current book I am reading for one of those, but that's all. ;)

Are you doing anything else while you are reading? Do you listen to music or TV?
I like to read in complete silence if possible. I never have the TV, music, or anything else on. I like to just totally zone out on the book that I am currently reading.

I almost always read on my couch or my comfy recliner. Every once in a long while I'll read on my porch in a rocking chair if it's nice outside, and sometimes when I go camping I'll read out in the middle of the woods.

I always use bookmarks. The thought of bending the corner of a page down makes me cringe. :lol: I have a continually growing collection of cheap bookmarks that I collect from here and there, usually advertising one thing or another. I also sometimes leave bookmarks in a book I've read marking a particular passage that I really like.

MonteGss
05-25-2007, 06:49 PM
I really try not to. I am currently listening to the DT on my drives to/from work but this is recent. I normally don't listen to books. I, like many others, have a lot of books that I haven't read yet so I like to give each one the attention it deserves.

No. I have been able to sit in the living room while my wife watches some TV but usually it is too distracting for me. Then again, I can read at work in the breakroom ocassionally, with noise. 99% of the time I read in complete silence to fully appreciate and "enter" the world of the book.

I read on my chair in the living room, also infrequently on the couch. When I am in my chair though, I am usually sitting sideways with my legs hanging over the armrest. I also read in bed.

My favorite bookmarker is a leather one (I love the smell of it!) that I purchased at a mansion/museum in Duluth, MN. I pretty much use that one all the time, unless the book I'm reading comes with a fancy ribbon bookmark attached to the spine.

Jean
05-25-2007, 10:12 PM
About ten. Three or four in Russian, two or three in English, one or two in French or German; and a random, unpredictable book or two. Usually about one third of this number is non-fiction, mainly history or theology. I didn't count math in, though.

Not on purpose. But we have only one room, so when my wife does either, I do listen to it, too. I love to eat while reading! (don't recommend it to anyone with slower metabolism)

Where do you usually read and where and how do you love reading? I read everywhere, but I love to read lying down.

Do you use bookmarks? Have you got many or one forever favourite one? I never used to use bookmarks, - I always remember where I was - but lately as some of you may remember I had to study origami, so I've made a lot of pretty bookmarks (the ones you put on the upper corner of a page... it's very convenient and nice-looking) and use them now just for fun. By the way, it is useful when there are important comments, references, or glossaries at the back of the book.

I would add a couple of questions:

I've been reading for as long as I remember myself, mother says I started at two and a half. Nobody taught me, mother showed me letters and went to back to writing her thesis on history, - grandmother was working at that time to support us. Among my first books were Winnie the Pooh, Mary Poppins and Alice in Wonderland, all in brilliant Russian translations.

Can also add that I never think of reading as of entertainment or education or instruction or anything else but reading, which is just as an intrinsic part of life as, I don't know, breathing.

EDITED: I've added my questions to Nikolett's starter post.

Rjeso
05-25-2007, 10:42 PM
I read many books at a time. I think the most I had going at once was six.

Most of my reading these days is done either on the bus to and from work, or in bed to relax and get ready to sleep.

I usually have music playing when I read, but it's always familiar songs that I can tune out and yet still hear, if you get what I'm saying. Sometimes I find myself humming along, though I'm paying much more attention to the book than the music, heh. I internalize music that much, I guess. Anyhoo, if I have a new song play, I have to stop reading, listen to the song, then continue where I left off in the book.

I started reading when I was almost three years old. My mom read to me every night, and I'm convinced that that helped me to start earlier than most people I know.

As far as bookmarks, I do have one or two 'official' ones, but like Matt, I usually just tear off a piece of paper or something and use that.

Rjeso
05-25-2007, 10:43 PM
I have a continually growing collection of cheap bookmarks that I collect from here and there, usually advertising one thing or another.

Like ones from your local bookstore with a hole punched in them, and threads pulled through to make a tassel? *hopes*

:P

MonteGss
05-26-2007, 06:37 AM

This is kind of a funny fact. My sister and I were never read to as young children. I'd say both of us started reading heavily at around ten(?). My brother was read to all the time, every night. He never reads now. I find that very strange.

I don't remember, I learned in school I guess. I don't remember being unwilling or having difficulty with it. When I started to read heavily, I believe I began with The Hardy Boys (Casefiles). :)

tamez
05-26-2007, 07:21 AM
yes, like Matt, I'm usually listening to one in the car/doing chores
and then actually reading one in bed...
but, since i've made the switch from Cds to Ipod
i've been listening to more than one at a time as well...
right now i'm primarliy listening to Lisey's Story, but I also delve back
into HiA sometimes .... right now i'm reading Where the Red Fern Grows
i just finished The Yearling (and boy did i cry!) lol
when i'm listening to a book i'm either driving or doing dishes or walking the dogs... something like that... when i'm reading
i am dyslexic so i can't do anything else... i have to concentrate on the book completely.
I love reading in my bed with a hot cup of tea and a fresh bowl of herbs
by my side, the dog sleeping on my feet yes, this is how i love reading.
i truly can't imagine reading in the bath... doesn't your book get wet?
:unsure: doesn't that kind of... ruin it? :unsure:
i have several that have been given to me over the years
but, i have them put away... i always make a mental note of the page
number that i'm on and when i go back i just flip to that .... :rock:

btw: this was an awesome thread letti-girl
great questions!

Darkthoughts
05-26-2007, 08:03 AM
No, strictly one at a time - I read Vols post and thought, thats just like me! :D Also, I get so into a book that even when I'm not reading it I'll be daydreaming about it - replaying a scene in my head, or wondering what'll happen next - so I think I'd get too confused if I read more than one.

Whenever I listen to music I have to sing, its compulsive :D so I don't do that. I prefer to have peace and quiet, but if the kids are watching tv I can quite happily zone out and read anyway.

Theres this great pub thats like, a 20 minute bike ride away from me. The landlord looks like a hobbit, and the pub itself is an old Victorian building with log fires in every room and wooden tables and benches.
They have some excellent beers and even better food, so I like to cycle there with a good book, order some grub and a pint and read away.

At home I like to lie on my bed by an open window, maybe with a mug of earl grey.

I'm kinda like you there Letti, I pick up anything thats lying around. Right now I'm using a postcard my Dad sent me from France...it has a Harry Potter stamp on it, so I'll save it for Deathly Hallows.

That was cool Letti, I enjoyed that!

Chassit
05-26-2007, 08:45 AM
Generally not, I just tear through them one at a time.

Are you doing anything else while you are reading?
Sometimes I will read while I eat.

Do you listen to music or TV?
Sometimes music, but I don't watch TV at all.

Anywhere that I can get time to read and a bit of physical comfort.

Only on my valuable hardcovers and those consist of business cards or other paper scraps, otherwise I dogear the crap out of my books.

XIX

Baradin
05-26-2007, 10:55 AM

I always have at least three books on the go at any one time.

Yup. Music Tv, what ever. White noise if ye kennit.

I LOVE to have a hot hot bath for a couple hours with a nice cup o Joe and a good book. I look like a pasty white prune after adozen chapters LOL

Hah! Sometimes I'll use a used transit pass, a pen, or I do a very very BAD thing. I fold the corner of the page I'm on. But I only do that to my really old and tattered volumes (ie: IT on my tenth read thru ect)

The_Nameless
05-26-2007, 03:19 PM
1.Do you read one or more books at the same time?

2.Are you doing anything else while you are reading? Do you listen to music or TV?

3.Where do you usually read and where and how do you love reading?

4.Do you use bookmarkers? Have you got many or one forever favourite one?

1. It is funny you ask this. And I say that because I have recently changed this very habit.
I used to only read one book at a time, and no more. I felt that I should focus on the one story and wait until it was finished before starting another book. But recently (the past few months) I find myself reading anywhere between two to five things at a time.
One night I will read one thing, then swtich it up from day to day. Sometimes I'll even read two or three things in the same day.

2. I do not like any noise while I am reading. I tend to read in my room, with the television and radio off, usually under a lamp. I find the silence helps me focus on the story better, with no distractions to throw me off my pace.

3. Like I said, I tend to read in my room. This usually consists of me lying or sitting in bed, proped against a couple of pillows, with the lamp on. I love reading before I go to sleep.

4. I use bookmarks. I hate dog-earing books, so I'll use a bookmark.
I only have one real bookmark, which I've had since I was nine or ten. It's a picture of Wacko from Animaniacs, and says Faboo! over his head.
But I'll use just about anything as a bookmark - from a picture, a scrap of paper (this is the one used the most), a receipt, or whatever is handy at the time I stop reading. It doesn't really matter.

5.How old were you when you started reading?

6.Who taught you to read?

7..Were you willing?

8.Do you remember your first books?

5. I was four when I learned to read.

6. My mother taught me to read. She'd read to me everynight she could, and I eventually caught on.

7. I was very willing. Stories have always fascinated me, so I couldn't wait to start reading for myself.

8. No; unfortunately I do not. Although, I do remember my first favourite book, because it is something I've been told about many times. It was Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss. I've been told that everytime I was asked want I wanted read to me, I'd say "Green Eggs and Ham!"

Whenever I listen to music I have to sing, its compulsive

Haha, same here.

VolsToTheWall
05-26-2007, 04:48 PM
I have a continually growing collection of cheap bookmarks that I collect from here and there, usually advertising one thing or another.

Like ones from your local bookstore with a hole punched in them, and threads pulled through to make a tassel? *hopes*

:P

Well, I have one from my local used bookstore that I punched a hole through and tied a string to it to make a tassel, but as I said I'm saving that one for you. ;)

Bethany
05-27-2007, 01:07 PM
Jean's additional questions:

How old were you when you started reading?Who taught you to read? Were you willing?
I was a spontaneous reader and was probably between 2 and 3. I cannot remember ever not knowing how to read.

Do you remember your first books?
The first book I actually remember reading was Black Beauty when I was in kindergarten. I had to beg the librarian to let me check it out and she didn't believe I could read it. I had to read several random pages to her and my teacher before she'd let me.

Rjeso
05-27-2007, 01:28 PM
The first books I can remember reading on my own were the Richard Scarry books, and I had a couple Disney stories that I liked a lot.

Matt
05-29-2007, 07:24 AM
Jean's additional questions:

How old were you when you started reading?Who taught you to read? Were you willing?
My dad and mom are prolific readers so it seemed natural to get into it as soon as possible. As far as I know, I have been reading since the very beginning.

First memory of being really into it was in 5th grade when I pitched a novel to my teacher named "One Million Dollars--What would you do?" It was pretty bad :lol:

I don't because it goes back so far and I had a mis spent youth. :cool:

sarah
05-29-2007, 07:37 AM

usually no. I can't say its never happened but as a rule i'm a one book at a time kind of a girl.

no. Sometimes the tv is on while I'm in bed reading but i can't pay attention to it.

I read in bed and in my front room and I listen to books on the computer and in my kitchen and while in the car. I read as long as time allows for the moment. It could be a couple of hours or three minutes.

I try and use whatever scrap of something is close by at the moment. I must confess that when i can't find something i either try and remember my page number or :o fold the page :o I'm a closet dog ear shhhh don't tell sarajean. :lol:

I've been reading as long as I can remember but i became a full time reader in my early twenties.

ManOfWesternesse
05-29-2007, 07:47 AM
One at a time is the norm for me. Sometimes I'll interrupt one book with another (eg at the moment I've put aside one book I was re-reading to read a new one I bought - but then I'll go back to th ere-read)

I don't mind really. I often read while others in the family watch TV or whatever. But I get zoned anyway & hear neither the TV or the family! When on my own I read in silence.

On the sofa or lying on the floor (back problem), are the norm for me. Will read anywhere at a pinch.

Do you use bookmarks? Have you got many or one forever favourite one?
Cut my own usually from backs of Cereal packs or whatever. Use it for a few books, then throw it away & cut a new one.

Who taught you to read? Were you willing?
Learned to read in school I guess - was 5 when I started school. Was not read to when I was young. Started reading for myself (as opposed to school-books when I was 10/11 or so. Most of my early books were my Grandfathers Westerns (Louis L'amour being a favourite - & I still re-read the 60-odd L'Amours on my shelves from time to time)

Matt
05-29-2007, 07:50 AM
As a kid, I always had a paperback in my pocket and almost wished I would have to wait to be picked up so I could pull it out and escape. :fairy:

Chassit
05-29-2007, 08:08 AM
Hmm I missed these before:

I was four when I learned to read.

Who taught you to read?

My mom

Were you willing?

absolutely

Hmm some of them...Danny and the Dinosaur rings a bell...

XIX

Hannah
05-29-2007, 08:22 AM
I usually have at least two books going at once. I try to read once fiction novel and one nonfiction novel. I always get through the fiction much faster than the nonfiction (damn you The World is Flat!)

Sometimes I will read on the commercial of a TV show. But no, I don't do anything else while reading if I can help it. I tend to tune things out when I read. My family made fun of me for it when I was younger. I still do it now, but I'm better about answering when people call my name, when before I didn't even hear them.

I usually read on my bed, with pillows all around me so I can change positions. If not the bed, then I read on the living room couch, curled up into a ball. If I have any time to myself this summer I'll be running to the pool to read in the sunshine. That's the absolute best.

I use pretty much anything on hand for a bookmark. Right now I have a cast off picture of some friends of Aaron's serving as one bookmark, one of Paris's ribbons for another bookmark, and one of Paris's tiny hair rubber bands for another book mark.

My mom tells me I learnt to read prior to attending Kindergarten. So sometime right before I turned five. I don't remember learning to read, but I can't remember a time that I couldn't read either.

My mother taught me to read. I was very willing. I don't remember all of my first books… but I do remember reading some things early one … like a book called "Mostly Magic" which contained all sorts of fairytales and such.

kithereal
05-29-2007, 11:17 AM

I am a compulsive multi-tasker..so yes I definately have several books going at once. ( right now I am reading Song of Susannah and I am reading the 1st book in the Mismantle series,which is a book my son really loved and wanted me to read it too )

Generally I am not watching TV while I am reading but I will sit in front of the TV and read if the rest if the family is watching TV. I do however love to listen to music while I read.

I can read anywhere but fav places are:
The tub ( the exception to that ,of course, was IT )
The bathroom ( all my books are flagged )
Outside I love to read by natural light.
The car
While eating

I dog ear...but right now I have a picture of My BF cartoon Zipperhead.I was 4 when I started to read

My Mother taught me to read.
I was very anxious to learn.
"The headless cupid" was my 1st fav book

kithereal
05-29-2007, 11:52 AM
I work for a BIG Paint company. In the Boston area.
We have season tickets for the Red Sox and sometimes when the tickets aren't being used sometimes they ask around to see if anyone wants them...
I got tickets once and went with a few people in the sales dept , they say that Steve Kings season tickets are right next to Ben Moore's and several people have been to games when he was there and that he reads between the pitches....
I thought that was pretty neat
but SK was not using his seats that night...

I am not huge baseball fan but seeing a game at Fenway was magical!
KIT

Letti
06-02-2007, 10:03 AM
I haven't answered Jean's questions yet:

It's odd because I didn't read as a child. I started to write short stories when I learnt the letters it means I started to write silly tales when I was about six.. but I think I started to read because I loved it when I was about.. 11 or so. Shame on me.

Who taught you to read?
I should have learnt it at school so after my first year at my primary school I spent my first real summer with learning to read with my mom. I could read very quickly but I couldn't say the words out loudly. I can't do it well now, either.

Were you willing?
It was stressful for me.. but interesting. That's what I can say.

It must have been something compulsory.

Letti
06-02-2007, 10:09 AM

The car

You mean when you are driving? :scared:

Matt
06-04-2007, 02:03 PM
I wish I could read in the car :cry:

Chassit
06-04-2007, 02:20 PM
I have heard many people say that they can't read while riding in a car. I feel for ya. :(

XIX

Matt
06-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Yeah, it makes me loopier than I normally am. :lol:

same with roller coasters, Asian cartoons, video games, strobe lights and disco balls. :(

ZoNeSeeK
06-05-2007, 12:30 AM
No, I generally don't as I will always end up sticking with one of them over the others and never end up completing the ones i am partially through. I prefer to focus on one book and completely absorb it.

Nope, I can block the TV out when I'm reading but not music.

I usually read on the bus or train or if I'm at home its on my bed or in the lounge room when there's no distractions.

I don't use them as I generally end up losing them somewhere. I dogear the pages :)

In pre-school, so around 4 I think, obviously reading the simple childrens books.

I'm not sure who specifically taught me but I would say my interest in reading would have been cemented in grade 1 as our teacher used to read for about 45mins a day - Enid Blighton, Roald Dahl etc, and it was definitely the best part of my first year at school. I was an avid reader throughout all of primary and high school. Massive epic fantasy series were the favourite as they were highly imaginitive and voluminous.

Ruki
06-05-2007, 02:13 AM
i like to give one story my full attention, when i'm involved with just one book i'll spend any time i'm not reading it thinking about it. there are times when i'll read more than one but then i don't spend as much time concentrating on a single story so i try not to do that, i like getting lost in my daydreams about whatever i've been reading lately.

i used to read while eating or cooking but now i barely even smoke with a book in my hands because i don't want to damage it, even if it's a worn out paperback. i can't stand to have any noise while i'm reading, i can ignore it if i have to but i'd never purposely have the tv or stereo on. if i'm listening to an audiobook i can do just about anything without being distracted as long as i don't have to listen to someone.

usually in bed, sometimes sitting in front of the computer if i've been in bed too long. where i am doesn't matter as long as i don't have to stop reading, i love to stay still and go from beginning to end without being disturbed.

i always use a bookmark. i have several cheap ones i got from libraries, nothing nice (although the one i used while first reading dt7 is a special keepsake just because it was with me when i first read the book).

i had all my books memorized when i was three because they were read to me so many times, i could recognize the words in them but i didn't learn anything about letters and reading unfamiliar words until i was in school.

my grandfather and father did the reading that taught me to recognize words, my first couple teachers took care of the rest. i was willing but frustrated with the way i was taught in school. i had no time for silly little letters and the sounds they produced, i wanted to be taught new words all at once with no sounding things out and no discussion. there were many first books, lots of little golden books and lots of dr. seuss and some old fairy tales.

She-Oy
06-05-2007, 07:00 AM
I usually just read one at a time. I'm a little OCD about anything I read too, including magazines. I HAVE to finish it and I HAVE to read everything in it before I start something new. I have no clue where this comes from, because unfortunately I'm not like that anywhere else in my life.

No, when I read, I read. But as a mother and wife, am I constantly putting down the book to do other things.

Lately I have been doing most of my reading outside. I love to sit on the porch and read (it gets me a little further from the distractions inside...see above comment...LOL)

Do you use bookmarkers?
Ok, this one is probably going to earn me some enemies, but the answer is "sometimes", and if I do use on it is usually just a piece of mail, an insert from a magazine, or worse....fold a corner!!!

I think I was about 4-5 when I really started reading and comprehending books.

I swear I don't remember learning to read. I just remember reading. I'm sure my mother taught me, but I just don't have those memories. The first books I remember reading were Mac the Cat books. I can even remember the texture of covers.
After those I remember reading E.B. White and Beverly Cleary books.

Frunobulax
06-05-2007, 08:51 AM
I read between one and five books at a time, depending on school work or my own personal interest.

I usually have music playing, as with most other activities, or something going on in the background as white noise.

Anywhere and everywhere. I prefer reading in the car or before I go to bed most, although I read when I'm bored.

Any assorted scrap of paper=bookmark.

Based on family anecdotes, I was reading street signs when I was less than one year old. I remember always being around reading in some way, though.

My parents and grandparents taught me, and I was more than willing. They also taught me how to write as well as all my alphabet and numbers up to at least 10 in what is now called the 'pre-K years.' Since they shunned preschool, they taught me. My first books--I don't know. Some book about a Farmer's Geese.

Tvmorbid
06-11-2007, 10:45 AM
When I was younger I used to regularly have 3 books on the go at the same time, 1 at my mums, 1 at my nans and 1 at school. Now I tend to concentrate all my efforts on one book and speed through them to get to the next one :lol:

Letti
06-17-2007, 01:42 PM
I must say reading habits say a lot about the reader. ;) I guess we all agree.

Letti
06-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Anyway... may I have a... quite stupid quesitons?
I know it will be hard to answer it but if you can please do.

How many books have you read in your life?

Jean
06-17-2007, 09:49 PM

well, if we take only fiction, the average of 3 books a week (I count only those I actually finish reading) for 40 years makes 6240 books. At least half of them are re-reads.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Letti
06-17-2007, 10:02 PM

well, if we take only fiction, the average of 3 books a week (I count only those I actually finish reading) for 40 years makes 6240 books. At least half of them are re-reads.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Wow Jean. That is something..
Now I feel verrry little. :D

VolsToTheWall
06-18-2007, 12:00 PM
I'd answer that if my memory would cooperate, so I'll just have to go with a whole damn lot. :lol: With my spotty memory, there's a lot of totals of things that I've done in life, including those that I should be able to remember, that I've forgotten. ;) Oh well, like money, you can't take brain cells with you when you die, so I'll just continue to enjoy the time that I have been given to walk along the path before I reach the clearing at the end.

Matt
06-20-2007, 10:30 AM
I'm pretty much in that boat :lol:

I credit mine to a mis spent youth :cool:

Cutter
07-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Always, current books:
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Dark Tower - Stephen King
The Lees of Laughter's End - Steven Erikson
Dark Carnival - Ray Bradbury
Bag of Bones - Stephen King (Audio Book)
Cinema Macabre - Mark Morris (editor)
Grateful Dead: The Illustrated Trip

TV if it’s sports. I used to listen to music always, now it’s hardly ever.

bed, or couch. I also like to read in restaurants during lunch

Yes, I try to collect nice ones. And I try to match them upwith the authors. Like I have George R.R. Martin ones while I read him, and I used the metal bookmarker for Lisey’s Story. I like doing this.

Second or third grade; can’t remember?

School, I remember the first tour of the library in grade school, and we were encouraged to check out a book, which I did. Believe it or not, I remember Green Eggs and Ham. Other early one’s I forget, but I progressed into C.S. Lewis and Tolkien. King wasn’t until middle school.

I wouldn't know. But I was an avid reader while young, and then in my twenties, with college, and just everything else going on, I stopped reading. I didn't pick it back up until my 30's. So I would say it's not a lot compared to others who have continuously read throughout their lives.

Girlystevedave
10-11-2007, 09:21 PM
[B]Do you read one or more books at the same time? Not usually. But when I read Dark Tower 7 for the first time, I put off finishing it. I was reading DT1 @ work and 4 & 7 @ home. I wanted to stretch it out as long as possible.

Are you doing anything else while you are reading? Do you listen to music or TV? I can't listen to music while I'm reading because then I'll get consumed by it instead. The tv is usually on, but turned down low.

Where do you usually read and where and how do you love reading? I prepare for reading like most people prepare for sex. I like to make sure my livingroom is clean. I turn on the right lamps and light my candles. I love to lounge on my couch for hours while I'm reading. I would read in the bedroom, but my husband is too busy screaming at the tv while he plays video games.

Do you use bookmarkers? Have you got many or one forever favourite one? I'll use anything I can get my hands on, but I like to cover funny comics in tape and use those mostly. They're the perfect size, plus they make me laugh. Movie ticket stubs work good too.

How old were you when you started reading? I know I was pretty young, but don't know the age. I do remember sitting in the bathroom while my mom took a bath and I would read to her the whole time. Poor woman never got a break.

My best early memory of reading (other than the one above) was when I was around 11 or 12. I read The Amitiville Horror on our front porch swing while it was raining outside. To this day, rainy days make me want to read.

Letti
10-11-2007, 11:12 PM
Does it mean that you can't read on a bus? Just at home with peace around you?

Ikilledthecrimsonking
10-12-2007, 05:36 AM
i wish i had the brain power to read more than one book at the same time

at home, before bed, while in the car

any scrap of paper i can get my hand on i us a book mark but i prefer sticky notes

i learned how to read in pre-k but i never really read for pleasure till i was 14
boy i suk

of course i do it was written by my favorite author, the book was called
the cat in the hat;)

Odetta
10-12-2007, 06:14 AM
I can only read one story at a time

alinda
10-12-2007, 08:47 AM
Read ....I read everything all the time, I can have 10 books open reading and get stuck in the kitchen reading a cookbook all the way thru!!

The # 1 reason I dont clip coupons is I would still be reading them :doh:

funky dredd
10-12-2007, 10:03 AM
No, never.

I am usually watching baseball with the volume low.

I usually read on the couch after my wife and son go to bed. She works early so it gives me a chance to have some peace. I also have a book light, that way I can have most of the lights off and still have light.

I have several bookmarks, but I mainly use the one that Matt sent me when I signed up to the site (although I lost the string that was on the top of it, can I have another one?). I don't remember how old I was.

I have no idea who taught me to read, but I remember hating it because I had to read aloud and I was very slow at it. The first book that I can recall reading was Where the Wild Things Are. I still have it and plan on passing it down to my son, it was passed down to me from my oldest brother and I always took great care in reading it (I didn't want to mess the book up, I didn't want him to be mad at me for it). So the book is in excellent shape and when he is ready for it I will give it to him.

DTrose19
10-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Do you read one or more books at the same time? Yes before I had a job I normally kept about 7 books going at all times but the past few years (since becoming old enough to have a paying job) I've only kept between 2-4 going most of the time.
Are you doing anything else while you are reading? Do you listen to music or TV?Listen to music alot if in a quet place because as much as I love quiet I've never been used to iit so it makes consintration hard. The product of an active imagination.
Where do you usually read and where and how do you love reading?All the time. This is bad but I apsolutly love reading at school, there's so much going on around me to block out I can get so more deeply lost in the books it's great. . .though my teachers hate it. But I can and do read apsolutly anywhere. Probley the #1 thing that gets me in trouble.
Do you use bookmarkers? Have you got many or one forever favourite one?Mostly I just use whatever, picturse, bookmarks, scrap paper ( when I use that normally I scrible quotes from the book all over the paper, which resulted in haveing about 3 book marks when I read The Essencial Rumi) or even a ticket off of clothes.
How old were you when you started reading? God like 4 or 5 I memorized books before I could read though. Amazed the hell out of my parents when a two year old was reading. . . then they relised that I was starting out on the copywrite page.
Who taught you to read? Were you willing? Do you remember your first books?Um, I guess that would be my dad and hooked on phonics. Yes I wanted to learn to read so badly, I've always had a passion for it. my first books were Cat in the Hat books, the first 'real' novel I read was Great Expectations by charels Dickins when I was in 4th or 5th grade. I had to explain it to my uncle in a 5 page essay cause he didn't understand the book or the meaning. Never understood what was so difficult about it though.

Letti
10-12-2007, 11:23 AM
How can you watch baseball and read at the same time???

funky dredd
10-12-2007, 11:48 AM

It's very easy really. I've been Dj'ing for a long time so I am used to listening to two things at once so I basically apply the same technique to reading and listening.

Letti
10-12-2007, 12:03 PM

It's very easy really. I've been Dj'ing for a long time so I am used to listening to two things at once so I basically apply the same technique to reading and listening.

Reading and listening is okay but reading and watching baseball... that sounds impossible to me. :)

funky dredd
10-12-2007, 12:12 PM
Well I'm not exactly watching the whole time...I'm not like a lizard that can move their eyes in two different directions at the same time. My wife thinks I'm nuts too, but I manage to accomplish this. I mostly use it to give my eyes a break, but I do listen/read the whole time.

fernandito
10-12-2007, 12:20 PM
I can't read with any noise around me, it has to be dead silent. If I'm reading in my room and my brother comes in to use the computer or the Playstation or something, I tell him to get the fack out. :)

funky dredd
10-12-2007, 12:24 PM
I can't do that, I have to have some type of noise to drown out the ringing in my ears. That's what happens when you don't protect your ears in the club, or turning the volume up to high when wearing headphones. :(

Girlystevedave
10-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Does it mean that you can't read on a bus? Just at home with peace around you?

I can read pretty much anywhere if I have a book, but being on the couch is my fav.

Heather19
10-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Alot of the time when I'm reading I'll have some music or the tv on. Sometimes I'll read a little bit and if something interesting on tv pops on, I'll watch that for a few min and then return to my reading. But I'm one of those people that I need background noise. If I'm home either I've got some music playing or the tv is on even if I'm not watching it. I just hate sitting in complete silence.
The one thing I can't do is read multiple books at a time. I've got to read one straight thru before I'll pick up another one. Unless of course I get bored with the first one, but then I rarely return to it when I'm done with the other one.

Letti
10-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Anyway I do love reading when I am travelling by train. The problem is that I adore travelling by train and I love to watch the lands thar are running next to me so it's very hard to choose: the book or the view.

funky dredd
10-13-2007, 04:40 AM
It would have to be the view for me :)

Letti
10-13-2007, 08:58 AM
I use lots of bookmarks but I use only one for DT books.
Here it is:

A real Tarot card, the Tower:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p237/Lettike/see001-1.jpg

alinda
10-13-2007, 10:01 AM
Matt has recently sent to me a DT bookmark.
Its really nice, thanks Matt. It hasnt been used yet.
well actually I have 1,0000's of em, but that one
is special, I may even add it to my DT.net/com collage
and keep it pristene. ( I know I know) :doh:

Daghain
10-14-2007, 03:24 PM
My bookmark is always the last boarding pass I used.

Shit, it was Vegas a couple years ago.

Think I need a vacation. I need a new bookmark. :lol:

CRinVA
10-23-2007, 06:57 AM
Always have more than one book going on and keep switching around, but if one gets really good then I focus on that one. I always have a reading book and a listening book going on at the same time.

I tend to need quiet to read - if the TV is on I'll go into another room; problem is the TV might distract my reading and I like to get absorbed into the book. Background music is fine. It doesn't have to be elevator music, but I do prefer something instrumental to read by.

In the living room on the couch; in bed; in the car (I listen to audio books a lot as I have a 90 minute comute each way daily!); I just love a good book - it can never be too long; a short book can be good but it's over way too soon. I tend to like the stories or series that go on and on and I simply become a fly on the wall as I get to know and love and hate the characters!

Absolutely - I appreciate books as art and would do anything to not dog ear the page or to not leave the book open and break the binding. I have SKEMERs bookmarks, bookmarks from Cemetery Dance, freebies picked up at Borders, and in some cases whatever slip of paper is handy if a bookmark is not handy! No favorites!

How old were you when you started reading? Who taught you to read? Were you willing? Do you remember your first books?
Gee that was a really really long time ago. I am sure I was taught to read in school - I lived with my grandparents and they never read to me. I do remember 4th grade where the teacher read to us for 30 minutes every day near the end of the school day. I always looked forward to that time. The first books that I remember were the Encyclopedia Brown series that I bought in grade school. I stopped reading in Middle School (it wasn't cool) and did not really pick back up 'till I was 25 and in college. Haven't stopped since then!

Daghain
10-23-2007, 07:08 AM
I used to, when I was getting my English degree. It drove me nuts. Now I read one at a time.

I sometimes read during commercials or between periods of the hockey game. I can't listen to music while I read, because I find it too distracting.

I usually read on the sofa, but I have been known to read in bed.

I use the boarding pass from the last time I flew. I need a new bookmark. :lol:

I dont' remember a time when I couldn't read, so I must have been pretty young.

My mother read to me a LOT when I was little, so I'm guessing she had a lot to do with it. My favorites as a little kid were mainly Dr. Seuss.

Jean
11-23-2011, 02:22 AM
bump

Heather19
11-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Well, for my part I don't slip any words, I read them all but I think I can read fast because I don't imagine what is happening in my head. Never, not even the characters (they are like ghosts, they have a shape and a very strong feeling) . I do have blurry pictures but nothing detailed. But it doesn't matter how fast I read I don't have a movie in my head.
Anyway I can read 400-500 pages a day if I read from the morning to the evening.
How anyone can read 800 pages a day is an enigma to me. :)

You bring up an interesting point, and I was thinking about this alot. I know I previously said that I'll read conversations in real time, with pauses and breaks, etc. And the more I thought about it I also do that with actions. When I read a book it's as if I'm watching a movie in my head. So say there's a lot of action going on, I'll see in my mind every little thing. Maybe this is part of the reason why I read a little slower too, just because I need time to process it all and to see it all play out in real time. I do envy those that are able to read fast, as I wish I could. But then when I do (just for me personally) I loose out on this aspect of it. And it would be the equivalent of fast forwarding through a film to me.

Empath of the White
11-23-2011, 01:25 PM
I read anywhere from 1-3 at a time. I'll start one, jump into another, jump back into the first, finish it then return to the second.

WeDealInLead
11-24-2011, 09:11 AM

- Depends. I prefer when it's quiet but it's not necessary. I read when my daughter is watching cartoons, at work etc. I used to focus on one book before but now I'll take on as many as 3. One heavy reading or at least the kind that demands full attention, one audio book and one collection of short stories or some sort of a light read.

- My favourite is the couch but I'll read wherever/whenever I get a chance. I'll read and slowly drink my wife. Nothing more relaxing than that.

- I don't have any bookmarks but I do use receipts, money (that's how I roll), paystubs etc.

- I can't remember. I know I was very young.

- First books were probably fairytales by brother Grim, H.C. Andersen and such.

Merlin1958
11-24-2011, 08:08 PM
I tend to read until I drop. In my youth, my mother would catch me still reading at 3 am a book I started at 10 am the previous day. Now, most ashamedly, I read a lot in the bathroom!!! LOL However, I have a "comfy chair" and love to sit and finish when I can. My mother was a "Best-Sellers" reader which got me started. I would grab her books and read them when she finished. Then School opened my eyes to the "Classics" which I devoured. I loved Shakespeare in HS. After that, I would go on "binge's" Sci-Fi, til I was burned out then, "Horror", onto Murder/Mystery, etc, etc.

There are still, at my age, certain elements of these habits in my reading patterns, but I do tend to "savor" books a little more and have done much more "Re-Reads" than in the past. Reading is a self directed "Movie" in your Mind and Imagination far superior than other's interpetations in most cases. Like they say "Reading is fundamental"!!!!

pathoftheturtle
11-26-2011, 11:14 AM
... it doesn't matter how fast I read I don't have a movie in my head. ...... When I read a book it's as if I'm watching a movie in my head. ...When I watch a movie, I turn it into writing in my head.
Thinking in pictures and sounds is the exception for me.

Oh, yes. I will even read multiple books with the same characters, confusing though that could be, lol.

Sometimes. Might even peek into a book while waiting in line.

Everywhere. If I have a choice, I love to read lying down.

Yes. I have many; I like to assign certain ones to certain books.

around 3

My mother. I took to it immediately. The Sam the Lion series.

Jean
11-26-2011, 11:27 AM
Might even peek into a book while waiting in line.
oh, memories! When we had Communism... in the times of the late Soviet Union... we all spent half our lives in lines. I always had a book - one of the many books I always read at a time - that I never took out of my bag until I'd finished it and replaced with the next. It was a special book for lines. The requirements it had to satisfy were: be thick enough not to come to an unexpected end in the middle of a three-hour-long line; not weigh too much (obviously); not raise any suspicions among the compatriots (that is, not be written by, say, Solzhenitzin).

divemaster
11-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Only one novel at a time; but often an anthology as well, but no more than that. Oh, and I also read the newspaper every day and a couple of monthly magazines.

My train commute totals about 3 hours a day. Most of the morning commute I read; same with whatever part of the evening commute I'm not crashed out asleep. This could be either newspaper or book. 40 minutes on the treadmill is usually newspaper/magazine, but can be book.

If I'm reading at home (I mean really diving into something, not just scanning the newspaper) I don't like any distractions. So, no TV or internet. I also end up sitting around a the mall or waiting in the car a lot when my wife goes shopping. That's great "book time" as well.

As a kid, I read everywhere. Walking to class. In class. Whatever.

Not real bookmarks. My pageholders can be paper towels, receipts, Netflix envelopes, etc. I also travel a lot so those stiff-paper boarding passes make great bookmarks, either while on the plane or at home. I find old boarding passes amongst my books regularly.

About 2 1/2.

My mom. She was very much into getting my sister and me into reading. We did phonics at home and had library day, etc. When I was a little older, she had us write a book report for every book we read. Just a page. Title, author, plot, and how we liked it (or didn't like it). I still have some of these!

I read so many books as a kid I don't know what would have been my first. Probably some Dr. Suess or Richard Scarry. Maybe the Frog and Toad books?

Interestingly enough, I taught my younger sister to read without my mom knowing! I must have been about 5, my sister 3. One day my sister (Joy) started reading to my mom and my mom said "Joy! Who taught you to read??" "Davy taught me!" I do remember Joy's first book. It was called Sun Up. (Of course my mom had laid the groundwork, but it seems that I was the one working behind the scenes to get Joy to official reading status).

I have no way to even attempt to answer this question.

Yaksha
11-26-2011, 08:21 PM
Sometimes I only read 1 at a time but every so often I will read 2. It all depends on my mood

I try to limit my distractions when I read. I want to fully immerse myself into the book and I will tolerate no distractions

Yes and no. I will either use a scrap of paper or i will bend down the edge ever so slightly. And as like Divemaster I travel alot so boarding passes are used as well.

Around 5 or 6

I sorta taught myself. My teacher gave me the basics and I spent a weekend doing nothing but learning to read. very small books with very little words but i slowly started to gravitate towards bigger books. In 2nd grade I was reading at a 4th grade reading level. By the time i was in 5th, I was reading college level and adult books. Reading just came very easy to me. In fact the first adult novel I ever read was The Stand. That started my love for Stephen King. I was the only kid in 5th grade to give a book report on a Stephen King novel

Well if you carry the one and multiply by 3, a shit ton