PDA

View Full Version : Favorite supporting characters.

Ves'Ka Gan
08-06-2008, 05:34 PM
We've done this for all the supporting players in the DT books, and I figured why not for the rest of them?

We discuss our favorite main players, villains and even pets, but what about the Sherrif Pangborns and Henry Leydens? The Rational Richards and the Becca Paulsons?

Who's your favorite? Why?

I think I vote for Henry Leyden. He jsut seemed like he would be the coolest guy to burn through a pot or two of coffee and just shoot the breeze for hours.

razz
08-06-2008, 05:41 PM
I kinda liked Captain Curtis from Dreamcatcher. He just gave off that aura that makes him interesting to me. or some other Zen-y bullshit like that.

jhanic
08-06-2008, 06:07 PM
Of course, it's Black House's Henry Leyden! He was one of the best supporting character in ANY of King's books!

John

alinda
08-06-2008, 06:19 PM
Henry was great! And Wolf, I loved Wolf.

The Lady of Shadows
08-06-2008, 08:07 PM
*ahem* we're talking people here guys - people. non-humans (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=2864) are a whole other thread. ::whew:: i feel so much better now. (my ocd was kicking in i think). :lol:

so my first comment is i have trouble thinking of henry leyden from black house as a supporting character. just me though. i loved that man. it was so nice to see jack have a friend, a real friend. someone he could be close to. someone he could relax with and talk to. someone he could trust. man, henry and his voices. i was absolutely devastated when he died. i was so fucking positive jack would get there in time to save him. but no, just a tape. a fucking tape. ah, discordia.

anyway, onward brave souls. in the talisman my favorite supporting character was, surprise surprise, speedy. he really was a supporting character in my mind because he seemed to float in and out of jack's life so infrequently. but when he was there he almost always gave jack a much needed kick in the ass. and always told him what he could do. he made sure that jack knew when he needed to get up and get moving - in other words stop puling and start pulling.

next is kyra devore from bag of bones. i loved her from her entrance walking down the middle of the road, to playing football in the yard with mike don't taggle your own quartermack, i taggled my own quartermack
to awaiting her final resolution during the custody question she was such a delightful representation of childhood to me. so innocent yet knowing, touched by the outside but not affected by it. understanding the spaces between but not really caring about them. (i don't want to give too much away because if you haven't read this book you really must).

next is robbie lefferts (i have to check the spelling on this i think) from rose madder. i love that he gave rosie a street audition and she didn't even know what it was. i love that he told everyone he discovered her looking at old postcards in bill steiner's store when she was really trying to sell her engagement ring. i love that he was a true businessman and not some do-gooder in that he offered a contract that was beneficial to both of them and not just to her. but most of all, i love that he helped to give her a chance to survive in a strange city when she was scared and alone and working in a crappy hotel for little money. i guess it's the romantic in me.

okay, that's it for now. i'll be back though. count on it. :thumbsup:

Hannah
08-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Henry Leyden is one of my top three. I also liked Wireman from Duma Key (was he supporting though, I'm thinking he was more of a main character? maybe si, maybe no). And of course, one of my all time favorites (human or not, Turtlesong :P) was Wolf.

The Lady of Shadows
08-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Henry Leyden is one of my top three. I also liked Wireman from Duma Key (was he supporting though, I'm thinking he was more of a main character? maybe si, maybe no). And of course, one of my all time favorites (human or not, Turtlesong :P) was Wolf.

oh please. wolf was totally human. don't even start with me. he was more human than mr. "i'm-going-to-pour-some-sunshine-into-your-soul" ever fucking was! :thumbsup:

jayson
08-07-2008, 05:51 PM
One of my favorites also comes from Black House... Armand "Beezer" St. Pierre. I would love to hang out with the Thunder Five.

stone, rose, unfound door
08-08-2008, 12:48 AM

oh please. wolf was totally human. don't even start with me. he was more human than mr. "i'm-going-to-pour-some-sunshine-into-your-soul" ever fucking was! :thumbsup:

What a charming way to say it! :) Wolf still is my favourite supporting character, although I really liked Pangborn's character. But I bet no one can ever beat Wolf!

Jean
08-08-2008, 12:51 AM
Henry Leyden can.

08-08-2008, 12:54 AM
Since I usually prefer supporting characters that die soon in the story (or who end up dying anyway), I'd also add McVries from The Long Walk, that I liked way better than Garraty and Jimmy Coddy, the doctor from Salem's Lot that I'm sure every one else's forgotten. :)

08-08-2008, 12:54 AM
I'm afraid no one can in my opinion, at least.

Ves'Ka Gan
08-29-2008, 07:18 AM
Ah yeah, Pangborn! I am just about to finish up Needful Things & I remember how much I like him.

VastOne
08-29-2008, 07:40 AM
I gotta go with Mother Abigail...From her visions and faith to her guitar playing and charming wit and strength, she has been a part of my life since I first met her in 1978. And although the tv abortion of The Stand is long forgotten, Ruby Dee played Mother Abigail just as I envisioned her.

My chiltons have called my mum grammalady as soon as they mastered the high speech

Lost Rose
09-10-2008, 09:05 AM
I really don't get here much, but I'd like to toss in Wireman..from Duma Key..there was something special about him...the same with the ones a lot of you mentioned..but there's something about Wireman that just hit me!!

Jean
09-10-2008, 10:25 AM
I really don't get here much, but I'd like to toss in Wireman..from Duma Key..there was something special about him...the same with the ones a lot of you mentioned..but there's something about Wireman that just hit me!!
abso-goddam-lutely! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

jhanic
09-10-2008, 10:43 AM
I think the main reason I like Henry Leyden more than Wireman was Wireman's usage of utterances such as "muchacho" and "maybe si, maybe no" so much. It began to grate on me. Other than that, though, he was great!

John

Jean
09-10-2008, 11:15 AM
I think the main reason I like Henry Leyden more than Wireman was Wireman's usage of utterances such as "muchacho" and "maybe si, maybe no" so much. It began to grate on me. Other than that, though, he was great!
I just try to disregard them... it's generally Sai King's weak point, he greatly overdoes speech characteristics (when he bothers with them at all, that is), and in this particular case he did it in an especially conspicuous way... but Wireman is great anyway! (not greater than Henry, though, bears agree...)

Ruthful
09-18-2008, 03:51 PM
I only got into about five or six pages of dialog involving Wireman before returning Duma Key, but I have to agree with the sentiments, re: Leyden. He's definitely one of the most capitivating (minor) characters Stephen King created for a non-DT work of fiction.

Heather19
09-20-2008, 09:06 AM
You should definately try to give it another shot Ruthful. It's a wonderful book.

Jean
09-20-2008, 09:39 AM
It's a wonderful book.
Absolutely.

alinda
09-20-2008, 09:52 AM
Ditto!:)

Adumbros
09-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Sheemie Ruiz. he was the unpredicable foot on the accelerator, so to speak.

and on that note...i think i'm gonna bounce on outta here, peoples. food is calling me, and so is a cigarette with menthol crystals in it, and i really need to get this little girl outta my face before i do something i might regret down the line. "cute" is one thing. 13 y/o and trying to ply me with "feminine wiles"...that's just annoying.

so...dunno when i'll be back; it's gonna be a pretty decent reprieve, i imagine. for those of you who got used to seein me around, say sorry. i will return; i just can't say for sure when.

until then, y'all take care, much pimpaliciousness to all, and to all a pimp night!

laterz...

Arthur Heath
09-21-2008, 10:27 AM
John Cullum. I'm not sure if anyone had as much of an impact (and future impact as we learn) as him in so few pages.
I cant speak for any other SK books as I have yet to read any other

:ducks:

JQ The Gunslinger
09-21-2008, 03:20 PM
And youve been on the website for over a year :panic:

Reverend Brimmstone
09-23-2008, 02:16 PM
pimpaliciousness?

Really?!

Rjeso
09-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Leyden is great.

One character that's kinda borderline on "supporting/main" is Beaver Clarendon, who is my favorite in Dreamcatcher. Oh, Beaver, you're the man.

Let's see, who else? Ollie Weeks. He ends up being so much more badass than you think he will. Same with Mrs. Reppler. Brutal Howell rocks on the page and on the screen, too.

Reverend Brimmstone
09-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Human or Not,I'm for Wolf. Ah God,Wolf,that's how it goes, Sai King gives you a character to love and kills him horribly 100 or so pages later.

Oh and to Rjeso,noticing your profile theme,I'd thought I'd share with you two phrases i was considering for my Sig.

STOP WIGGLIN' AROUND YOU JACKASS! -Brock Sampson
or
"I hacked up some blood a couple of minutes ago, and there was this big chunk the size of a…one of those little kiwi fruit, but I don't feel anything missing, so I'm not too worried."

You see,I'm a Venture fan to the point of ridiculousness.

Rjeso
09-25-2008, 07:49 PM
Awesome! Brock is the man.

Greatest show on TV right now. That, and House.

Reverend Brimmstone
09-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Was it Me,or did the 3rd season seem to short?

Jean
09-29-2008, 10:43 AM
I hope we're still on topic? http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_rolleyes.gif

jayson
09-29-2008, 10:47 AM
Season 3 had 13 episodes, same as Seasons 1 & 2.

Of course, they all seemed too short for me. I could easily have gone for a lot more episodes each season.

I'm glad they are currently working on Season 4 (which will also be 13 episodes) but we will have to wait until next fall to see them. :(

I know it's off-topic, but I couldn't let a question go unanswered. Say sorry big big.

Redsoxtony13
12-31-2008, 09:25 AM
I too loved Beaver (Chewing on a toothpick as I type)
Jud Crandall has always been a favorite of mine as well.