PDA

View Full Version : Page 172 of the First Trade Edition *spoiler?*

BillyxRansom
08-06-2008, 10:08 AM
The illustration in between pp. 172 and 173. The one that shows Cuthbert and Roland on Jericho Hill. Why does Roland look so OLD??? Is this part of Roland's having lived for sooo many years or, what? The lines in his face make him look very old here. Much older than that of 14, that I remember him being during this final fight. And Cuthbert doesn't even look that young, though his sense of humor makes him seem so, in W&G.

jayson
08-06-2008, 10:14 AM
It could possibly be due to the fact that the illustrations in that book are horrible. Why does Susannah look Asian? Why does Jake have dark hair? These are not spoilers. These are because the illustrator for Wolves paid little or no attention to the source material.

Jean
08-06-2008, 10:19 AM
only they were not 14 at Jericho Hill any more

BillyxRansom
08-06-2008, 10:30 AM
only they were not 14 at Jericho Hill any more

Couldn't have been very old though, because Bert and Alain had died when they were still quite young, right?

It could possibly be due to the fact that the illustrations in that book are horrible. Why does Susannah look Asian? Why does Jake have dark hair? These are not spoilers. These are because the illustrator for Wolves paid little or no attention to the source material.

Oh. That makes sense. I couldn't even tell it was Susannah on page 108, but then when I got to the part where she went deep into them woods and ate that frog, I was like "Ohh--waaaiiit.." Hahaha.

Jean
08-06-2008, 10:34 AM
no, not very old, not even what we would call grown up now, but not 14, either. A few years had to elapse between Mejis events and the total destruction of Gilead and all its gunslingers. I think around 20 something.

BillyxRansom
08-06-2008, 10:38 AM
no, not very old, not even what we would call grown up now, but not 14, either. A few years had to elapse between Mejis events and the total destruction of Gilead and all its gunslingers. I think around 20 something.
The Mejis events meaning the events outlined in W&G? So wait, he was 30+ years old by then??

Jean
08-06-2008, 11:04 AM
no, I don't mean "20 something" years had to elapse, I mean Roland and his friends must have been around 20 something at Jericho Hill. I think the events developed so quickly, helped along with the world moving on, that the total destruction could have fit within ten years, no more. (so: 14 in Mejis, then about ten years of wars... here we are)

danleary25
09-13-2008, 10:24 PM
I hadn't seen the art of this book yet. I read the pocket-size and then checkout the art after. Without having seen the art I imagined that perhaps Roland appeared older in because this scene in the book is a dream. The scene in the book does not specify if Roland dreams his current or past self in this scenario, so I imagined the art took such a twist with it.

But after I checked out the art online I agree with the previous post that it is all just awful artwork and badly detailed. Roland looks all kinds of wrong anyway. He seems to be 30 or 40 in this artwork. I guess this battle took place 20 years or so after the events in Wizard and Glass then Roland appearance in this art makes sense to me. But he looks that age throughout all the art. Disappointing.

turtlex
09-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Jake having dark hair is a major pet-peeve of my girlfriend. She HATES that !!

I just keep saying... it's artwork.... that's all. She does not appear to be soothed by this, however :) .

jayson
09-14-2008, 05:37 AM
Jake having dark hair is a major pet-peeve of my girlfriend. She HATES that !!

I just keep saying... it's artwork.... that's all. She does not appear to be soothed by this, however :) .

I agree with her entirely. It's artwork yes, but it's artwork for the book. It's supposed to be representative of the story in the book. Jake is blonde in the book he needs to be blonde in the artwork. Whelan gets it right in DT-7, so the other artists could have done the same. The WotC Jake just looks like a shorter version of the way the artist drew Roland (which also disappoints me).

Brice
09-14-2008, 05:41 AM
I am guessing some of these artists might not have read the books at all...and were just operating off whatever info (brief summary) was provided to them. I could be wrong though.

Darkthoughts
09-14-2008, 07:33 AM
I don' think that's an excuse, or that whoever briefs them ought to be more detailed.
It's my major DT art pet peeve too.

jayson
09-14-2008, 08:46 AM
I don' think that's an excuse, or that whoever briefs them ought to be more detailed.
It's my major DT art pet peeve too.

Exactly! If I were an artist commissioned to do illustrations for a book, one of my first questions would be "are there any physical descriptions of the character in the book?"

Darkthoughts
09-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Agreed! I don't think artistic licence should apply to something as specific as a well developed character from a long running series.

Brice
09-14-2008, 02:21 PM
So their artistic liscenses should be revoked? :cyclops: