PDA

View Full Version : The Twilight Saga

Erin
08-03-2008, 10:55 AM
I figured it is time this had its own thread. I know maerlyn and myself are huge fans and many others have expressed interest in reading the series by Stephenie Meyer.

The 4th and final book in the series, Breaking Dawn, came out yesterday and I plan on getting it later this afternoon. If this book is anything like the past 3, I won't be able to get anything done or sleep until I finish reading it. :lol:

jhanic
08-03-2008, 12:07 PM
I had never heard of this series until the Wall Street Journal ran an article last week regarding the publication of the final volume. Without spoilers, what's it about?

John

She-Oy
08-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Talk about your coincidences...I actually signed on this morning just to see if this site had a thread about this.

I haven't read any of the books, but I want to. Neither Wal-Mart or Sam's have the first book of the series and the closest bookstore to me is about 10 miles away, but I might try to go get it today.

I have a question though, I know they were written primarily for "young adults", I'm just worried that it will be too "simple". I mean don't get me wrong, I looooooooved Harry Potter (not that those were simple in any shape or form) and those were primarily for kids (or at least it started off that way). I'm just really excited about having a new series to start and I don't want to be disappointed.

LadyHitchhiker
08-03-2008, 02:06 PM
I work at a bookstore and I have heard absolutely positively nothing bad about the books so far...

Erin
08-03-2008, 03:10 PM
I had never heard of this series until the Wall Street Journal ran an article last week regarding the publication of the final volume. Without spoilers, what's it about?

John

Simply put, the series is a love story about a human girl named Bella and a vampire boy named Edward and the problems that go along with that kind of forbidden love. Also thrown in are really interesting subplots involving warewolves, powerful, ancient vampire sects and the ultimate question, should Bella be changed into a vampire so she can live imortally with Edward for all eternity....or not?

There are 4 total books in the series:
Twilight
New Moon
Eclipse
Breaking Dawn

Also, Stephenie Meyer's is also planning on publishing a re-write of the first novel, but instead of being from Bella's perspective, it is going to be a re-telling of Twilight from Edward's perspective. This should be really interesting as Edward can read minds and this will clear up a lot of questions from the first book. Also, the movie version of the first book is coming out to theatres this December.

Oh, and it's interesting to point out that the books are super popular, especially amongst teenage girls. The 3rd book, Eclipse, sold more copies than the final Harry Potter novel.

I have a question though, I know they were written primarily for "young adults", I'm just worried that it will be too "simple". I mean don't get me wrong, I looooooooved Harry Potter (not that those were simple in any shape or form) and those were primarily for kids (or at least it started off that way). I'm just really excited about having a new series to start and I don't want to be disappointed.

I don't think they are written to simply at all. I was very impressed with the books and how much they "drew me in" and had me hooked. I do have a couple issues with the main female character, Bella, involving her being a role-model for young girls, but the awesome storytelling even distracts me from that. She also has a fresh new view on vampires, their powers and what they can and can't do. Edward and the rest of his "family" are not your typical vampires. Also, even though the books are targeted at young adults, I think they had very adult themes, especially in the 2nd and 3rd books. Plots involving sex, marriage, choosing between loves, self-sacrifice and death are all discussed. I think if you read the first one, Heather, you will be hooked. :D

jhanic
08-04-2008, 05:17 AM
I guess I'll have to try them!

John

Hannah
08-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Ok, sarajean talked me into reading the first book ... and I was a little disappointed. She promised me that it got better after the first book, but I haven't picked up the others yet.

I figure I've already invested in buying the first book, and I really should buy the next three just because I get really really irritated when I don't have the full collection of something.

I just thought the plot was contrived and seriously she goes on and on and on about Edward and his copper colored hair and he's so handsome, and she wants to lick his balls, blah, blah, blah. If you don't like listening to teenage girls talk ad nauseum about boys, then skip the first 200 pages of the first book.

Erin
08-04-2008, 08:44 AM
:lol: Wants to lick his balls.....:lol:

I agree with that. The 2nd and 3rd books are way better than the 1st. Bella's not so annoying in them.

Hannah
08-04-2008, 08:50 AM
I figure there's a reason these books are selling like crazy. I do have a $25 B&N card that I have to use on something. Maybe I'll use it to pick up the next book.

Erin, I'm not asking for any major spoilers, just a yes or no: are there any sexy parts coming up? This would make it worth it to me to read the other three books.

Erin
08-04-2008, 08:52 AM
Yes.

Hannah
08-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Thank you! :couple:

Sweet!

sarah
08-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Well, I loved it in an ooie gooie way. It is so teenage drama in the first book and it can sort of make you want to throw up. BUT, I would suggest rereading twilight and then go straight onto New Moon. I think it all flows better when you read one right after another.

Personally, I was a bit shocked at myself for loving these four books. It just isn't my personality to read teen love stories or love stories in general. I like The Wastelands and such not this "I love you forever" crap that you hear every two pages. :lol: I was totally sucked in and then fed the poison to all so that they could be with me in this mess. :lol: Sarajean was sucked in too. :evil:

Hannah
08-04-2008, 02:22 PM
it was like a chain reaction. you got sj hooked, who got me hooked, and i'll be sure to pass it on to a friend of mine too. i'd try aaron but i know for a fact he won't even entertain the idea of reading them.

jhanic
08-05-2008, 02:28 AM
After reading some of the above, I think I'll pass on the series. I'm not really into teenage girls' love lives.

John

Erin
08-05-2008, 04:51 AM
I didn't think I was either, but I still got hooked. :lol:

But seriously, yea, I don't blame you. It's not for everyone.

what
08-05-2008, 10:05 AM
I've just about finished reading the first book... and I agree... If you can get over the teenage love drama its really a great book... I was sooo excited when I realized there would be werewolves! The first has been a rather quick read aswell.

She-Oy
08-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Ok, I got sucked in. Started it last night, I'm half way finished, pretty sure I'll finish book 1 tonight. I'm actually buying into the romantic moosh and like it. I was all, "HURRY UP AND KISS DAMMIT!!!", so now I want them to do more than nuzzle. Of course it could just be my hormones raging. LOL

So, I haven't made it to any action part yet, but in the trailer for the movie there is this "James" character who appears to maybe be a blonde, bad vampire...whooohoo! I'm all about badboy blonde vampires. Back in the day I'd take Louis over Lestat anyday (of course that's before Tom Cruise went all scientology freak and I thought he was hot with fangs)

Hmmm, maybe I can get Will to dress up like a vampire this Halloween. He's got the hair and the height. LOL

Darkthoughts
08-15-2008, 02:35 AM
I've succumbed to my curiousity after listening to Maer, SaraJean and Erin - and went to get the first book out of my library yesterday...the librarian told me all the Twilight books have been reserved until November!!!

She's ordered me Host instead...is that any good?

steph
09-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Yes The Host is good. I read it before any of the Twillight books.
It is written for adults and overall is better written IMO. And I think it will appeal to both sexes.

educatedlady
09-15-2008, 08:26 PM
I read Twilight when it first came out and I found it boring and juvenile so I haven't attempted to pick up the rest of the series. However, I am thinking about reading the series before seeing the movie, or at least give them a try. I think I read the book at the wrong time in my life. I was going through an Anne Rice phase and Twilight just couldn't compare. :D

lipgloss_and_revolver
09-16-2008, 08:52 PM
I read the first one just to see what everyone's squeeing about.. I didn't like it at all. And I saw reviews about the following books which really didn't encourage me to read them anymore.

what
10-28-2008, 07:37 AM
So I was screwing off at work this morning and found this...

Midnight Sun - Partial Draft (http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/pdf/midnightsun_partialdraft3.pdf)

It's apparently the first book from Edwards POV... I read the first chapter a few months back (before the entire thing showed up) and was impressed. So if any of you are looking for a fix before the movie check it out!:thumbsup:

Oh yeah... the link goes directly to a .pdf version of the book

Hannah
10-28-2008, 07:50 AM
I need to read the fourth book. So don't no one spoil me, alright?

The whole series was a lot of teenage angst and whining. But somehow, even through all of that, I still have the hots for Jacob. Big muscly hottie - rawr.

Unfound One
10-28-2008, 08:05 AM
Oh man, yeah Hannah you definitely need to read Breaking Dawn. It's the best by far.

For my part, I read all four in four days. The whole time I was reading I was thinking "Wow, these books are ridiculous, but I CAN'T PUT THEM DOWN!"

24 days until the film comes out - have you seen the preview? The characters aren't how I imagined them at all - the Bella in my head is SO different from Kristen Stewart.
BUT I'm still excited to see what they do with it.

Oh, and Robert Pattinson is hot shit as Edward. (He played Cedric Diggory in HP). :drool:

Hannah
10-28-2008, 08:29 AM
He is a good choice for Edward. But I totally agree with you on the girl playing Bella, not how I pictured her either.

That girl is too ... bitchy looking. I always pictured Bella as softer looking somehow. But whatevs, the movie looks all nice and teenage angsty. I would have ate this up even harder had I been a teenager when it came out. :lol:

sarah
10-28-2008, 08:33 AM
Stephenie Meyer gives a really good description of Bella in Midnight Sun. So sad that it is only the first half of the book that she is willing to release. I'm hoping she'll change her mind and finish the book and have it published.

Unfound One
10-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Yeah, I also picture Bella as less... graceful looking? Not that Kristen's super graceful looking, but she doesn't exude awkward clumsiness to me like I feel Bella should.

Also, have you seen Jacob? He's exactly how I pictured him... I'll find a picture.

Unfound One
10-28-2008, 08:38 AM
It's so sad what happened with Midnight Sun. :(
When I read it it changed my view of Edward quite a bit...

Oh, and here's Jacob:
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PYR/PAS0055~Twilight-Posters.jpg

Hannah
10-28-2008, 08:41 AM
What's Midnight Sun?

And ew to Jacob. He should be much hotter than that. I like him so much better than Edward. Give me Jacob anyday. He can keep me warm.

Unfound One
10-28-2008, 08:45 AM
I don't like that picture much either... the actor (Taylor Lautner) is so young though. Yikes.

Midnight Sun was a project Stephenie was working on. It was intended to be Twilight (the first novel) from Edwards perspective, but someone leaked an early draft of it online. Stephenie was crushed and decided to "suspend the project indefinitely."
She did, however, ask her fans to stop looking for bootlegged versions and posted the rough draft on her official website. It's about 200 pages and really gives some interesting insight into Edward and the other Cullens.

I really enjoyed it and I'm sad she's (probably) not going to finish it.

Hannah
10-28-2008, 08:53 AM
That sounds interesting. I'll have to go check it out. :D

Unfound One
10-28-2008, 10:34 PM
OMG I'm so fucking excited for this damn movie.

Lunchroom movie clip:

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&vid=48182449-1fca-4c77-a888-b74bafce2f75

turtlex
10-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Oh, and it's interesting to point out that the books are super popular, especially amongst teenage girls. The 3rd book, Eclipse, sold more copies than the final Harry Potter novel.

Hey Erin - Can you tell me where you found this info? About Eclipse outselling Harry?

Unfound One
11-21-2008, 01:10 AM
So I just got back from the theater, and the movie was INCREDIBLE.
The adaptation from book to film was great - I would say 90% accurate. Also, the big thing I really appreciated was that they didn't add a bunch of shit. With a few very minor exceptions, everything that was in the film was in the book in some form or other.

I thought Kristen Stewart played a great Bella (but she wasn't as annoying as Bella in the books = good thing). Rob Pattinson was perfect as Edward. I was a little iffy at the beginning, but he grew on me and ended up adding some great personality and humor to the character.

Overall great. I would rate it very highly. Go see it. :thumbsup:

KaLikeAWheel
01-05-2009, 05:16 AM
Okay, my best friend got me Twilight for X-mas, and I begged my son's girlfriend to borrow the other three. I finished all four books in a week! There should be a warning label on the cover of those books warning you how friggin' addictive they are!!! I read Breaking Dawn in one sitting. I literally could not put it down! Stephanie Meyer should be arrested for peddling crack...it's crack on paper, that's what it is!

Donna

Nerak
01-05-2009, 09:05 AM
I just started reading these on Friday...OMG!! I finished the first one in a little over 24 hours, bought the second one yesterday and 200 pages into it. I haven't seen the third one anywhere in my area. Will have to go on a hunt. At least reading will be a little slower now since I have to work all day. :(

Hannah
01-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Once you can get past the whiny teenage angst in the first book it's smooth sailing.

Nerak
01-05-2009, 09:24 AM
But it wasn't like that at all for me, I am a sap for that stuff! LOL

Hannah
01-05-2009, 09:26 AM
:lol: I think that it was just really bad in the first book - after that it becomes so much better, and seriously addicting!

Matt
01-05-2009, 09:39 AM
My daughter bought me the CD version so I could listen to it. I'll have to do all 4 of course now. :doh:

I really keep wanting someone to get their head ripped off but that's just how I am...other than that, I think the writing is really good. I always know that when I'm reading (or listening) and the author writes something that makes me nod my head and smile.

ArtherEld
02-03-2009, 05:38 PM
I never really paid attentiong to Stephen King outside of books enough to know whether or not he's actually criticized other authors. But I found this at Yahoo news.

Stephen King On 'Twilight' Author: 'Stephenie Meyer Can't Write Worth A Darn'
By Access Hollywood
1 hour, 26 minutes ago

Getty ImagesAccess Hollywood LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- Stephen King's opinion may drive a stake through the heart of "Twilight" author, Stephenie Meyer.

In an interview with USA Weekend, the bestselling author compared Meyer with J.K. Rowling , the author of the Harry Potter series.

VIEW THE PHOTOS: Robert Pattinson- Hollywood's Hottest Vampire!

According to Stephen, "Both Rowling and Meyer, they're speaking directly to young people... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn. She's not very good."

Meeooww!

While Stephen may not be a fan of Stephenie's writing, he understands the appeal of the series.

"People are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it's very clear that she's writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It's exciting and it's thrilling and it's not particularly threatening because it's not overtly sexual."

He further explains, "A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that's a shorthand for all the feelings that they're not ready to deal with yet."

Wuducynn
02-03-2009, 09:58 PM
Was the "meeooww" actually in the article or your addition?

theyspunaweb
02-03-2009, 11:28 PM
oh snaps!

necromanticize
02-03-2009, 11:33 PM
I always wondered what he thought of SMeyer.
I knew he loved JKR and a lot of people compare the two series so I was interested to know his take.

And I am amused.

razz
02-04-2009, 07:11 AM
oh shit.
hide the page before Noel Sheppard makes it look like King thinks teenage girls can't read

Nerak
02-04-2009, 07:11 AM
That's not nice..... :angry:

sarah
02-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Here's the link (http://blogs.usaweekend.com/whos_news/2009/02/exclusive-steph.html)

February 02, 2009

Exclusive: Stephen King on J.K. Rowling, Stephenie Meyer

I'm working on my big American Icons cover story on Stephen King today, and it could almost fill up two full issues. King gave me so much good stuff: He's a truly fascinating guy, and he had so many great stories and takes on things. When I flew up to Maine to talk to him in December, we got into a discussion of popular authors vs. the academic elite, a subject he has strong opinions about, and I asked him if his mainstream success over the past 35 years paved the way for the massive careers of Harry Potter creator J.K. Rowling and Twilight author Stephenie Meyer. Click read more for King's feelings about those two as well as some other best-selling authors. And remember to check out my cover story on King in the March 6-8 issue of USA WEEKEND.

Photo courtesy of Simon & Schuster

King, whose Stephen King Goes to the Movies collection came out last week, doesn’t know how much of an influence he had on Meyer, but he does know that Rowling read his stuff when she was younger. "I think that has some kind of formative influence the same way reading Richard Matheson had an influence on me," King explains. "People always say to me, 'Well, what about H.P. Lovecraft?' And the thing was, you read Lovecraft when you were a kid but I never felt that he was speaking my language. It was chillier than my heart was, and when Matheson started to write about ordinary people and stuff, that was something that I wanted to do. I said, 'This is the way to do it. He’s showing the way.' I think that I serve that purpose for some writers, and that’s a good thing. Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. ... The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good."

But then King recalls that when his mom was alive, she read all the Erle Stanley Gardner books, the Perry Mason mysteries, obsessively when he was growing up. "He was a terrible writer, too, but he was very successful," King says. "Somebody who’s a terrific writer who’s been very, very successful is Jodi Picoult. You’ve got Dean Koontz, who can write like hell. And then sometimes he’s just awful. It varies. James Patterson is a terrible writer but he’s very very successful. People are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it’s very clear that she’s writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It’s exciting and it’s thrilling and it's not particularly threatening because they’re not overtly sexual. A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that’s a shorthand for all the feelings that they’re not ready to deal with yet."

William50
02-04-2009, 03:24 PM
What's Twilight?????? I havn't heard of it. :lol:

razz
02-04-2009, 03:27 PM
That's not nice..... :angry:
sorry were you referring to my comment or to stephen king's?

Nerak
02-04-2009, 05:58 PM
Steve's

flaggwalkstheline
02-04-2009, 06:34 PM
twilight is the heterosexual and far less entertaining version of Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicals

Daghain
02-04-2009, 11:09 PM
Having not yet read it yet, I suspect you are correct.

Trust me, if I read it and deem it crap, my novel will be at her publisher's the very next day. :lol:

turtlex
02-05-2009, 03:33 AM
twilight is the heterosexual and far less entertaining version of Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicals

:clap::lol:

educatedlady
02-05-2009, 06:50 AM
Having not yet read it yet, I suspect you are correct.

Trust me, if I read it and deem it crap, my novel will be at her publisher's the very next day. :lol:

When I read Twilight I thought..."Wow, if she can be published so can I." I just haven't finished anything that I would send.

Hannah
02-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Hmmm :orely: I liked the Twilight series, but it was just "fluff" reading for me. Fun stuff to entertain me.

Sometimes King seems so arrogant to me. Maybe he's earned that right.

Gris
02-05-2009, 01:09 PM
It's funny...

The official MB is getting flooded by posts as such:

"OMG, Steven King is teh suq!! How can he said that Twilight is bad? Steven King is so last year! How can sum1 that only rights to scare the #)(@Q out of people say sumthing about sum1 else? How can he say he nos what teenage grrls want to reed?

It's fun reading them all

obscurejude
02-05-2009, 01:17 PM
God, that was terrible grammar. :lol:

jhanic
02-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Maybe they think they were texting?

John

flaggwalkstheline
02-05-2009, 01:58 PM
It's funny...

The official MB is getting flooded by posts as such:

"OMG, Steven King is teh suq!! How can he said that Twilight is bad? Steven King is so last year! How can sum1 that only rights to scare the #)(@Q out of people say sumthing about sum1 else? How can he say he nos what teenage grrls want to reed?

It's fun reading them all

thats funny, I would consider Carrie to be the definative text on teenage girl angst

ArtherEld
02-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Was the "meeooww" actually in the article or your addition?

Nope, all copy/paste.

MonteGss
02-05-2009, 07:06 PM
Twilight is pretty bad.
I kind of agree with what Hannah said about it, "fluff." I read all four in about three days. The writing is not intelligent, the characters are not very developed and the novels fall into my personal book category of "Silly Little Girl Romance Books."

razz
02-05-2009, 07:17 PM
maybe i shoudl read it. it might boost my confidence as a writer :wtf:

Billy-Bumbler
02-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Go King! I'm glad he, too, hates the "Ultimate Chicky Fantasy Series" :thumbsup:

Darkthoughts
02-06-2009, 02:19 AM
I don't think he's being any more arrogant than we are, when we discuss books on the board and declare that "so and so was utter crap!" The girls who have been responding to his comments are taking it far too personally, probably because they over related with the books characters - but that's just one of the many angst ridden trials and tribulations of being a teenager :D

turtlex
02-06-2009, 02:28 AM
Here's the thing, my take on it, since he used Jo Rowling as a counter-explaination of who he felt was a good tween-targetted writer, I didn't find it arrogant at all.

From the folks I've talked to who have read the whole Twilight series... they all pretty much agreed with Sai King.

They felt it was a "casual" or, as someone already stated, a "fluff" bit of writing - something to occupy their time and enjoyable, but not really ( please don't kill me for this ) art, per se.

I've read several pages ( yeah, I know, hard to comment on the series but ... ) and I was not impressed.

Nerak
02-06-2009, 04:36 AM
I, too, thought it was "fluff" reading, but it's so unfair to publicly slam her like that. It's just wrong. I know he's very opinionated, but, it's just wrong. If I were Ms Mayer, I would be hurt by it on a personal level. It was hitting below the belt. Just because it's fluff doesn't mean it is bad writing.
But that just my opinion.

jayson
02-06-2009, 04:45 AM
I don't find it the least bit arrogant or out of line. I think anyone in a creative field has the right to critique others in the same field. I don't think people should make up their minds about something just based on someone else's opinion but that doesn't mean I don't find those opinions interesting or valid. I'm sure many writers don't think King can write worth a darn, though they're all wrong, and I'm sure some have said so. I doubt King has lost much sleep over it. I doubt Meyer will care all that much that King dislikes her writing. He's not her publisher so ultimately, his opinion shouldn't matter all that much to her at all.

Jean
02-06-2009, 04:50 AM
Every time I venture to this section to see what Mr.King said outside his books, I inevitably find out he put his foot in it. Which convinces me once again that everyone is great only in the field where he is great; not beyond.

Brice
02-06-2009, 04:55 AM
I, too, thought it was "fluff" reading, but it's so unfair to publicly slam her like that. It's just wrong. I know he's very opinionated, but, it's just wrong. If I were Ms Mayer, I would be hurt by it on a personal level. It was hitting below the belt. Just because it's fluff doesn't mean it is bad writing.
But that just my opinion.

No, it doesn't. I'm sure King would even concede this (though in his opinion it seems to be both). However when someone in any field puts their stuff out there for the world to see they must accept that there is going to be some criticism and some of it won't be constructive. In short I think by now she's probably become accustomed to it having done it a little while. Now, I'm not saying it doesn't hurt, but it's almost to be expected. My reaction to him would be sorry, you didn't like it, thanks for the $$$s. I hope you find something YOU like somewhere else.

jayson
02-06-2009, 05:07 AM
I believe there is such a thing as good fluff and bad fluff. Of course, it's a necessarily subjective thing so we all have differing ideas of what might qualify, but I have read things that are 'fluff' that while formulaic are still well written. I have never read 'Twilight' so I can't critique Meyer's writing, but I think King has no less right to say it's not good as it is every twelve year old girl's right to say it is. I don't think he should be judged more harshly because he's a famous writer. Being in a position to have your opinion known by large numbers of people doesn't mean you don't have as much right to express them as anyone else. I don't think any less of King for it.

Empath of the White
02-06-2009, 05:13 AM
Interestingly, many twilight fansites I came across when I googled "Stephen King on Twilight" seem to think Carrie is his only novel. It is always the one they reference. Also, sai King has painted a big bullseye on himself. There are some craaaazy fangirls out there.:beat:

Jean
02-06-2009, 05:13 AM
I believe there is such a thing as good fluff and bad fluff. Of course, it's a necessarily subjective thing so we all have differing ideas of what might qualify, but I have read things that are 'fluff' that while formulaic are still well written. I have never read 'Twilight' so I can't critique Meyer's writing, but I think King has no less right to say it's not good as it is every twelve year old girl's right to say it is. I don't think he should be judged more harshly because he's a famous writer. Being in a position to have your opinion known by large numbers of people doesn't mean you don't have as much right to express them as anyone else.
Absolutely. There's difference, however, between saying "I think it's shit" and saying that someone can't write. The latter implies that the one who says it knows what it is to know or not know how to write, that he possesses some Yardstick of the gods, applicable to anyone around him, which entitles him to objectivity in a field which is by definition subjective.

jayson
02-06-2009, 05:19 AM
I think King's statement was meant to be understood as subjective, at least implicitly. He strikes me as intelligent enough to know that he's only offering his own opinion, not an empirical argument to quantify her alleged incompetence.

turtlex
02-06-2009, 05:24 AM
Umm.... my friend ( a Twilighter ) was on the Twilight Fansites and found many people indicating they thought Sai King was "jealous" of Ms. Meyers. As in he wished he had her kind of popularity. *cough* Um, my friend did reply to them, that regardless of how many books SM writes... she's got quite the ways to go until she can claim Stephen King levels of readerships.

I think a big, big problem with the Twilighters is that many of them are young and have no clue what, or how many, books Sai King has written.

Kind of unbelievable actually.

Brice
02-06-2009, 05:25 AM
Yes, really Steve just wishes he had her fandom. :wtf: Maybe in some decades...

turtlex
02-06-2009, 05:27 AM
No joke, she read me a post where someone said that SM writes way better than Stephen King, but not quite as good as Dan Brown ( The DaVinci Code ).

jayson
02-06-2009, 05:35 AM
I think a big, big problem with the Twilighters is that many of them are young and have no clue what, or how many, books Sai King has written.

I see it a lot when I talk to some younger folks about music. They have no idea what came before they started liking whatever they like this week.

It's Marley's birthday, so as he put it...

"If you know your history, then you would know where you're coming from" - Bob Marley, "Buffalo Soldier"

Brice
02-06-2009, 05:39 AM
:thumbsup:

Marley who? :unsure:

Jean
02-06-2009, 05:41 AM
[off-topic]

I see it a lot when I talk to some younger folks about music. They have no idea what came before they started liking whatever they like this week.

It's Marley's birthday, so as he put it...

"If you know your history, then you would know where you're coming from" - Bob Marley, "Buffalo Soldier"

Oh, don't get me started! Once I was talking to a young student of mine... about Piaf and Alexander Vertinsky... and she said no wonder I loved all that old stuff, but she, she was young! And I said, darling, that stuff was old when I was young.

Unexpectedly, it got her thinking.
[/off-topic]

jayson
02-06-2009, 05:46 AM

Ask Jimmy Cliff. :P

Brice
02-06-2009, 06:00 AM

Ask Jimmy Cliff. :P

He told me Marley was that guy in Peter Tosh's band.

Gris
02-06-2009, 07:30 AM
There's a huge cultural gap between youth now and only a little while ago. Like there is so much crap on TV and movies that there is no room for anything prior to a few years ago.

My brother-in-law, at 21, does not know who Gary Coleman is.

jayson
02-06-2009, 07:59 AM

That might not be the worst thing in the world. ;)

Woofer
02-06-2009, 12:24 PM
I think King's statement was meant to be understood as subjective, at least implicitly. He strikes me as intelligent enough to know that he's only offering his own opinion, not an empirical argument to quantify her alleged incompetence.

I agree.

Stephen who? Why am I here again? Look, something shiny!

No joke, she read me a post where someone said that SM writes way better than Stephen King, but not quite as good as Dan Brown ( The DaVinci Code ).

Oh god, the pain. The pain! It hurts so much.

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, R_of_G?!

Ahem, sorry, couldn't resist. Well, as long as he knows who Gary Cole (no man on the end) is.

Hannah
02-06-2009, 12:51 PM
The arrogance, in my opinion, stems from the nature of the opinion giving. To me it seems arrogant for one popular, successful author to announce to everyone that another popular, successful author "can't write worth a darn," and state it as if it is a fact. Because even though it's obvious that it is his opinion, it's also pretty obvious that he's lecturing as well.

Matt
02-06-2009, 01:05 PM
I figure SM knows she isn't getting a coolio blurb from King on any of her books and vice versa...done is done. :lol:

ArtherEld
02-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Here's what I think the big problem is. We're all humans, and are entitled to have our own opinions. I've seen many (quite a few people here actually as I remember them from dt.net) bash King's latest works, and even go so far as to say that Stephen King no longer has the ability to write, all but implying that he was a better writer when he was on the "devil grass" (anyone remember the thread titled "I think Stephen King should start drinking again"?).

My point is I've seen some pretty harsh opinions, actually a lot harsher than what King said about Meyers. The big problem is that Stephen King is a public figure, a celebrity by way of popular professional writer. It's okay for us "little people" to offer our opinions. But when Stephen King says something, especially about another popular book or writer, people will listen. Many of those people will be mad at King, many will be judgemental, many others will take King's words as affirmation: he said the book sucks, therefore it must be true.

The thing is, we're entitled to our opinions, and I'm sure even Stephen King would not want you simply taking his word for it. Heck, I'm not even sure I really agree with him.

The Lady of Shadows
02-06-2009, 02:43 PM
for what it's worth, here is my take on this whole thing.

i don't take sai king's advice on who to vote for, what to think, what to _______ (fill in the blank). he's just a guy who happens to write really good books (with a few notable exceptions). okay, yeah, having something in my collection signed by him gives me the grins. but that doesn't mean i live my life based on his opinions.

i make my own decisions, and so should everyone else. if he thinks a certain author sucks or "can't write worth a darn", that's his opinion and he is entitled to express it. as is everyone else in the world. if he doesn't like certain things, that doesn't mean i'm not going to like them, or vice-versa. :: shrugs ::

besides, i've been on the "i hate twilight" band wagon a lot longer than him anyway. :lol: :P

ArtherEld
02-06-2009, 03:29 PM

:rofl: Why does this remind of Jay Walking? I could so see that happening.

Jay Leno: "Who wrote the book 'The Shining'? Who wrote 'The Shining'.

J-walker: "Um, uh, it's... I know it's not Jack Nicholson..."

Jay Leno: "*Heee-heee-heee* No, he starred in 'The Shining'. Who wrote the book?"

J-walker: "Uh, Earnest Hemingway?"

Jay Leno: "No. *hee-hee-hee* But I am impressed you've heard that name before. No, this is someone who's still alive."

J-walker: "Earnest Hemingway's alive isn't he?"

mystima
02-06-2009, 04:05 PM

I agree.

Stephen who? Why am I here again? Look, something shiny!

Oh god, the pain. The pain! It hurts so much.

Ahem, sorry, couldn't resist. Well, as long as he knows who Gary Cole (no man on the end) is.

seriously....who is gary cole?

Woofer
02-06-2009, 05:34 PM

seriously....who is gary cole?

Gary Cole is an wonderful actor. He has played many diverse roles, such as Sheriff Lucas Buck in American Gothic, Mike Brady in The Brady Bunch movies, Vice President Bob Russell in The West Wing, and Bill Lumbergh in Office Space. He also does a lot of voice acting, including Birdman and Judge Hiram Mightor in Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law.

http://www.garycole.net/photos/Gary_Cole_in_American_Gothic.jpg

mystima
02-06-2009, 05:40 PM
oh that guy ok....lol

necromanticize
02-06-2009, 11:35 PM
The thing I hate is that so many Twilight fans won't back down AT ALL. There's a difference between being faithful to your favorite author and loving their work and being completely delusional as to their abilities.

I absolute adore JKR but I will admit her writing isn't all that great. She tends to be long-winded and overly descriptive but I still enjoy what she does. When you try to get the Twihards to see that SM isn't a very good writer, they will fight you tooth and nail on it. It doesn't matter how entertaining the book is, "SHE'S AN AMAZING WRITER". Um...no. Try reading something else for once that isn't geared towards 14 year old girls and THEN tell me what good writing is.

And the thing is... as much as I love King... I can't say I enjoy everything he's done. Some of his stuff was just...awful, in my opinion. But that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to enjoy his books. Just as long as I can admit that he's not the GREATEST WRITER EVERRRR.

There's my two cents. You may not have wanted to read it, but there it is.

ArtherEld
02-07-2009, 02:31 AM
Someone once told me arrogance is the privilage of being right. Anyways I've never really taken King as arrogant. But who knows?

obscurejude
02-07-2009, 09:44 AM
The arrogance, in my opinion, stems from the nature of the opinion giving. To me it seems arrogant for one popular, successful author to announce to everyone that another popular, successful author "can't write worth a darn," and state it as if it is a fact. Because even though it's obvious that it is his opinion, it's also pretty obvious that he's lecturing as well.

I'm in this camp as well. Relatedly, King is very popular and with that comes a lot of responsibility. For better or worst, he's a force to be reckoned with in the fiction market and his words hold a lot of gravitas. I believe he has the right to say anything, but it doesn't make it prudent. I don't have a problem with King critiquing other writers, but if he does so, I wish he'd do it in a more academic manner and refrain from absolutist statements that aren't backed up very well. The comparison with Rowling wasn't enough for me personally.

jhanic
02-07-2009, 11:05 AM
for what it's worth, here is my take on this whole thing.

i don't take sai king's advice on who to vote for, what to think, what to _______ (fill in the blank). he's just a guy who happens to write really good books (with a few notable exceptions). okay, yeah, having something in my collection signed by him gives me the grins. but that doesn't mean i live my life based on his opinions.

i make my own decisions, and so should everyone else. if he thinks a certain author sucks or "can't write worth a darn", that's his opinion and he is entitled to express it. as is everyone else in the world. if he doesn't like certain things, that doesn't mean i'm not going to like them, or vice-versa. :: shrugs ::

besides, i've been on the "i hate twilight" band wagon a lot longer than him anyway. :lol: :P

Turtlesong, I agree with this wholeheartedly! I really enjoy a number of artists' works when I compeletely disagree (or even despise!) the person themselves, such as Cher, Jane Fonda, Elton John, but there are others. I've always felt this way. Back when I was serving in Vietnam, we were watching a concert movie in the mess tent (yes, it was one of the few times I wasn't out in the field) that had Joan Baez as one of the performers. The boos and name-calling were tremendous when she appeared (I don't know if you knew then but she was EXTREMELY anti-war) and I made the comment that just because she was an idiot (I used a stronger word here) didn't make her music less enjoyable. No-one argued with me.

John

jayson
02-07-2009, 11:10 AM
I don't have a problem with King critiquing other writers, but if he does so, I wish he'd do it in a more academic manner and refrain from absolutist statements that aren't backed up very well.

It's the very fact that he didn't do it such a manner is what led me to conclude that this was a just King stating his own opinion, not offering expert testimony that should be used to judge Meyer's work. His opinion may or may not mean more to some because of who he is, but that does little to change my view that he's free to express it. On the other hand, had he done so with a clear attempt to empirically demonstrate Meyer's alleged incompetence, that I would find to be arrogant (though the argument itself could be merited depending on the evidence he'd offer).

I made the comment that just because she was an idiot (I used a stronger word here) didn't make her music less enjoyable. No-one argued with me.

Lots of people can't make that distinction John. Good for you. There are lots of artists with whom I disagree with their public personae or the views they express. I try not to let it affect my views on their art itself (unless the two are intertwined). Certainly Johnny Ramone was possessed of political views that I wouldn't want to hear about, but I still love his music.

Brice
02-08-2009, 07:08 AM
To me King obviously just stated his personal opinion. His opinon of another author isn't gonna' sway me too much. I don't think him being Stephen King should give any of his opinions more weight then anyone else's. While I may check out an author he does reccomend I'm just as likely to check out one he trashes. I hold my own opinions higher than his. Basically what I'm saying is we've become obsessed as a society with what famous people think. He's just another guy. If he was a homophobic, misogynistic, rascist asshole I'd still think the same of his writing.

Bev Vincent
02-27-2009, 10:43 AM
The full interview that was excerpted to start off this controversy will appear in this weekend's USA Weekend magazine, an insert in many newspapers across the country. You can find out what paper carries it near you at the USA Weekend (http://www.usaweekend.com/) web site.

sleeplessdwarf
02-27-2009, 11:09 AM
My 13 year old daughter was required to read the first in the Twilight series at school. Other than the preview of the movie that was shown in my ps3 I had never heard of the books. She went on to finish the series within the next two weeks and passed it on to my 13 year old step daughter who did the same. Now I have not bothered to read one line of the book, but if it was interesting enough to get my girls reading a real book, then I am all for it. Having been a teen in the 90's I tend to think this generation is a bit different and to see the kids reading a book instead of being glued to the text machines was a plus for me. I am hoping that this is a gateway to better things although after reading some of the reviews here on the quality I am not so sure. As for King's opinion, I think he is as entitled to speak out as I am.

Patrick
03-01-2009, 07:43 PM
The full interview that was excerpted to start off this controversy will appear in this weekend's USA Weekend magazine, an insert in many newspapers across the country. You can find out what paper carries it near you at the USA Weekend (http://www.usaweekend.com/) web site.I didn't see anything King-related. Did you mean next weekend's?

Bev Vincent
03-02-2009, 03:10 AM
Yes, the March 7-9 issue.

lophophoras
03-02-2009, 03:58 AM
Yes, the March 7-9 issue.

Bev,

Will it be in the USA Today paper?

KaLikeAWheel
03-02-2009, 04:41 AM
At least they're reading, writing, and giving their opinion. They'll learn, in time, about history, grammar, and higher-caliber writing. I say any series of books (good or not) that gets anyone reading out of a real (paper) book is a good thing. If it gets them thinking and communicating with each other, all the better.

Agreed! :clap:

Donna

Bev Vincent
03-02-2009, 06:17 AM
I don't think it is associated with USA Today. It is an insert in many community papers. Visit this link (http://www.usaweekend.com/partners/partner_links/index.html) to find a newspaper near you that carries it.

CRinVA
03-02-2009, 09:33 AM
I get it with my Sunday paper - been checking it from cover to cover ever I heard about this. Nothing yet! If their issue dates are in line with the valendar then it should appear this coming Sunday!

Ben Mears
03-03-2009, 05:53 AM
SK's comment is as silly and myopic as those made by critics who dismiss him simply because he doesn't write "serious" literature.

AlishaRiley
03-03-2009, 07:52 AM
I actually quite enjoy the fact that SK has slated Twilight - perhaps that makes me an utter bitch, but it's good to know that at least somebody shares my view. The very small amount that I have read, was just...boring. Not an ounce of it appealed to me, and it was very dumbed down...

I just hate the insane way in which people are behaving about it. The movie comes out, a typically attractive man plays the main role, and girls are suddenly squealing with excitement at the prospect of reading about this "stud".
It seems that this is the main reason for people picking up the books, recently. Most people I know who are reading/have read Twilight, merely did so after seeing the movie.

I think that it's all just an image thing for a lot of people (maybe not all, I wouldn't dream of applying my views to everybody, of course.)

Rant over.

lophophoras
03-03-2009, 08:28 AM
No papers near me will have it.

Anybody willing to send me paper containing this article (I'd like the entire newspaper if possible)? I'd be willing to pay for it and the shipping.

PM me. Thanks in advance!

Hannah
03-03-2009, 09:04 AM
I actually quite enjoy the fact that SK has slated Twilight - perhaps that makes me an utter bitch, but it's good to know that at least somebody shares my view. The very small amount that I have read, was just...boring. Not an ounce of it appealed to me, and it was very dumbed down...

I just hate the insane way in which people are behaving about it. The movie comes out, a typically attractive man plays the main role, and girls are suddenly squealing with excitement at the prospect of reading about this "stud".
It seems that this is the main reason for people picking up the books, recently. Most people I know who are reading/have read Twilight, merely did so after seeing the movie.

I think that it's all just an image thing for a lot of people (maybe not all, I wouldn't dream of applying my views to everybody, of course.)

Rant over.

Personally, I read the books long before the movie came out. Although very formulaic, the story was well done. Of course, I have a romantic's heart so any love story involving tragedy and unrequited love and all that stuff will instantly catch my attention. I also have a huge crush on Edward Cullen. :P Sometimes there's nothing wrong with liking something other people like. And just sometimes, things are popular for a reason.

Stephen King's opinion doesn't sway me on this. I find it delightful that he thinks the books were written poorly, as I actually agree with him. I found the story and characters entertaining, not necessarily all of the writing. However, like Brice said, I'd be just as likely to read it because King said it was bad than not to read it. I think sometimes writers who are critics of other writers do not have as much of a vantage point as the average reader.

CRinVA
03-03-2009, 10:10 AM
I've listened to the first two on audio books. They are ok - entertaining and I will continue with the series - but I can see that they are poorly written. The primary audience is by far and a way teenage girls. They are all about the romantic! I am listening for the other stuff - the vampires and werewolves; how will that be resolved kind of stuff.

If they were example of great writing, I'd probalby read them again. I am pretty sure that one time through will be enough for this series.

I just read some where ont eh itnernet that Stephanie Meyer went on record as saying she was an amateur! Pretty much a rich amateur I'd say what with how many books she has sold. I don't begrudge her that - if I could write something that is "OK" and it gives me financial independence then I am all for it. With financial independence comes the opportunity for greatness.

AlishaRiley
03-03-2009, 10:13 AM
Hannah, I can see where you're coming from - I guess it's a case of each to their own, really! And of course, there will always be clashing opinions; my best friend, for example, is reading the first of the series and is in love with it, whereas I just can't see the appeal.
It's always good to have contrasting views, as it creates room for discussion (whether heated or not. :P) And SK seems to have created such room. :P

Randall Flagg
03-04-2009, 04:05 PM
No papers near me will have it.

Anybody willing to send me paper containing this article (I'd like the entire newspaper if possible)? I'd be willing to pay for it and the shipping.

PM me. Thanks in advance!
If you are really desperate, and no one else offers to assist, PM me and I'll get one.
Do you want the ads, etc.?

deepindigo114
03-06-2009, 09:29 AM
I read like half of the first book, but I had to put it down because the writing was just horrible. It's really hard to get into the lame teen books after reading books by Stephen King and other great writers.

turtlex
03-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Did you all see that there is an EXCLUSIVE amazon.com version of the movie release?

Twilight (Ultimate Collector's Set) (Amazon.com Exclusive)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51oDtompfCL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

$80.00 ( for BluRay ) includes :

Twilight (Special Edition) Blu-ray Disc
Twilight Original Motion Picture Soundtrack CD
Jewelry Box: individually numbered
Exclusive Watch
Limited Edition Charm Bracelet
6 Glossy Photo Cards
Bookmark
Certificate of Authenticity

Unfound One
03-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Wow.
That's an excessive amount of Twilight...

sleeplessdwarf
03-06-2009, 06:45 PM
All I can say is wtf now. The movie is playing and it is in the last few minutes. It is by far the worst thing I have seen this year. I thought maybe hollywood would make it interesting, not the case. According to my delightful girls, it is EXACTLY like the books. :arg:

Brice
03-07-2009, 06:39 AM
That's strange. It doesn't have our local paper on that list on their site, but we do get it. So, what day's paper should this be in?

sarah
03-07-2009, 09:23 AM
The movie is like most books made into movies, it will never be as good as the book. That said, The Twilight Saga should be taken with a grain of salt. It is oooie gooie teenage love drama.

Bev Vincent
03-07-2009, 03:36 PM
It should be in Sunday's paper, I think.

Mordred Deschain
03-10-2009, 06:03 PM
I was finally getting on to write about the article from the USA Weekend...I've been a bit lazy lately..:)

Yes it was in Sundays paper.

fernandito
03-17-2009, 08:08 AM
I'm starting New Moon today.

AlishaRiley
03-17-2009, 08:18 AM
Does the movie depict the entire saga, or just the first book? :orely:

fernandito
03-17-2009, 08:22 AM
The first book. It's going to be a movie per novel, a la Harry Potter (except for the last one of course).

AlishaRiley
03-17-2009, 08:31 AM
ahhh, I was wondering.
I figured that if the could squeeze the entire series into one movie...it couldn't be much of a series. :P

Gracias. :)

Unfound One
03-18-2009, 07:19 AM

Bahahaha.
I knew you would.
:evil:

sarah
03-18-2009, 08:07 AM
feeve, put New Moon down right now and finish Harry Potter!!! :couple:

mia/susannah
03-19-2009, 03:32 PM
I hope there is not another thread on this, I looked and could not find one. Anyways, I just purchased the whole Twilight series and was just wondering if anyone has started reading them or has already read them. I have had several people say they are very good.

sarah
03-19-2009, 03:35 PM
hey mia/susannah, the Twilight thread is in the Mansion. :)

mia/susannah
03-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Thank you maerlyn, I don't know how to delete this one. I guess I will have to ask you to, sorry about this. Thanks again:rock:

Heather19
03-19-2009, 05:29 PM

Feev, are you hooked now?
I might actually start Twilight next. I can't decide.

Candice Dionysus
03-19-2009, 07:30 PM
If you were to ask me to choose between Twilight and the amazing works of Anne Rice would be like asking a vegetarian to choose between a fast food hamburger or a freshly made, straight-from-the-garden salad.

They would choose the salad, and I would choose the Vampire Chronicles. Or 30 Days of Night. Or 'Salem's Lot. Or anything EXCEPT Twilight.

I have had the Twilight books explained to me by several people, and even a good friend of mine, but the storyline just does not appeal to me. I read the first two chapters in a book store a while back, and I was bored to tears. A different friend of mine dragged me to the movie, and that just made me never want anything to do with the series ever again. Sparkly vampires? WTF? They DIE in sunlight, they don't freaking shimmer!

And "vegetarian" vampires? You're joking right? I mean, Louis went through his "I only eat animal's" phase, too, but seriously? Vampires are KILLERS. Sometimes, not often, but sometimes, they do try to deny their inherent nature, and feed on animals. After a while they all overcome the whole humanity thing, and KILL people. Some of them only kill evil people, but they still KILL PEOPLE. Though, they may take a liking to specific people, but they usually make those people vampires like Lestat did with Louis, and later with Claudia, and later still with David.

Armand has his pet children, too, and didn't want to turn them because he would be psychicly closed off from them. Then Marius turned them and it was all good. (Though Amadeo was a little upset with his maker at first.(If you're a fan of the series, you already knew that Armand and Amadeo are two names for the same person. This is just to inform those who were ignorant of that fact.))

My only complaint about Anne Rice's Vampire books is that she ended the series as though she wanted to wash her hands of it and never speak of it again. o.0; The last book she wrote was such a letdown. I was expecting more epic gore and violence, and all I got was this watered-down pulp. [shrugs] Every other book was amazing.

Honestly? I would rather read mature fiction involving vampires than the trendy pop-culture bullshit that is Twilight. It is written for teenage girls in an era where teenage girls base how they act on the latest freaking fad. I'm sickened every day by the Trash Generation and their awful pop-culture, fad-driven Hollywood bullshit. When I was a teenager, I was reading about Lestat. It wasn't that long ago, I'm only twenty. Of course, I started reading that series when I was nine. Before that I was reading Stephen King.

Can you tell? They inspired me to be an author myself, though I'm nowhere near as good. Yet. One day, I hope to be. But I'm at least as well-spoken, creative, and driven as they were at my age. You can't take Stephanie Meyer's teenage soft-core, pussyfooting, sappy bull and call it literature when there is stuff like Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles, or Stephen King's 'Salems Lot, or even the great Bram(?) Stoker's Dracula!
Plus, my literary HERO, Stephen King, has said that Stephanie Meyer can't write worth a damn. Near as I can tell, he's absolutely right.

And by the way, the actor that they got to play Edward in the movie is NOT hot, hawt, sexy, gorgeous, cute, yummy, or good looking in any way, shape, or form. He is creepy-looking, gives off a stalker vibe, and looks to be about 13 years old. When compared to Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Noah Wyle, Josh Hartnett, Jake Gyllenhaal, the late Heath Ledger, or even Breckin Meyer(!), he is nothing but a little boy pretending to be a man in a very creepy way. Sorry, but I find him disturbing and disgusting to look at. [shudder] Just... Ew.

As you can no doubt tell now, I hate Twilight.

Randall Flagg
03-19-2009, 07:42 PM
There is another thread for this topic. It is in The Mansion.
I'll merge with a 1 day redirect.

Best

RF

Nerak
03-20-2009, 04:52 AM
I cannot wait until tomorrow so I can go buy the movie! WOOT WOOT!!! I also bought her other novel to read after the baby comes. I can't just sit and twiddle my fingers! LOL
Bring on more vampires!!!

Brice
03-20-2009, 06:25 AM
So...Can what did you think of Twilight? :P

sarajean
03-20-2009, 06:51 AM
I cannot wait until tomorrow so I can go buy the movie! WOOT WOOT!!! I also bought her other novel to read after the baby comes. I can't just sit and twiddle my fingers! LOL
Bring on more vampires!!!

oooh, i absolutely loved the host. there aren't any vampires in it, though, karen. as she described it, it's a science fiction novel for people who don't read science fiction. :D

Nerak
03-20-2009, 08:42 AM
I know there isn't, I was just saying that I wanted more vampire books from her! LOL SOrry if that was confusing!

sarajean
03-20-2009, 08:56 AM
oh, dur.

:lol:

Matt
03-20-2009, 09:13 AM
I thought The Host was great, so did Dora

So the movie comes out tomorrow then?

sarajean
03-20-2009, 09:14 AM
indeed it does, matty mcmattmatt.

jeff hates that i'm going to walmart at midnight to pick it up. :lol:

Nerak
03-20-2009, 10:00 AM
I wish I could stay up long enough to do that. LOL But We are hoping to go to Boston tomorrow and I need my sleep.

mia/susannah
03-21-2009, 03:41 AM
I have read only Stephen King for years. and reread them all excepth for the ones I don't have yet. I decided to expand my self alittle and purchased the whole Twilight series. I may regret that, it seems like it is about the romance of young teenagers. I hate romance. If it does not start getting better, of course, I just started the first book, I wil give them to someone who might like them. I will have to see when and if I can get through the first book.

fernandito
03-21-2009, 06:28 AM
Brace yourself then , Mia, the series only gets sappier with each new page/book.

mia/susannah
03-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Really!!!! I won't read the series then if it gets sappy and nothing but love. That just is not my fortay.

MonteGss
03-21-2009, 08:07 AM
it seems like it is about the romance of young teenagers.

That is exactly what it is.
Sappy, corny and overwhelmingly average.

*Yes, sadly, I read them. It took about two and a half days. Pretty basic, teenage English.

mia/susannah
03-21-2009, 09:57 AM
it seems like it is about the romance of young teenagers.

That is exactly what it is.
Sappy, corny and overwhelmingly average.

*Yes, sadly, I read them. It took about two and a half days. Pretty basic, teenage English.

Well, that stinks. I wasted $60.00 on books that I won't read. I will stick with just Stephen King from now on. Thanks for the information.

sarajean
03-21-2009, 10:58 AM
i had to leave mine in california...you can send them to me if you want. :D

Heather19
03-25-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm kind of embarrassed to admit, but I'm hooked on Twilight. I picked it up a couple of days ago, and can't put it down.

Ka-mai
04-02-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm sorry, I've heard nothing good about Twilight. My little sister said it was "meh" (I rarely hear her give a bad book review) and my best friend says I have to read it "because of how terrible it is."

And the movie... is so unintentionally funny I think it should be put in the comedy section of the rental place. Edward is the creepiest motherfucker I have ever seen on film (creepier than Hannibal Lecter) and all I hear is girls squeeing over how romantic he is. HE STANDS IN HER ROOM AND WATCHES HER SLEEP! THAT IS ILLEGAL! He creepily glares at her for a while. And what the hell, his skin sparkles?! He's not a vampire, he's a drag queen at a rave. Meyer just totally shattered all of the rules about vampires, which I think is a big mistake. If she's going to make shit up she should have just created a whole new creature. Basically the only character in the movie I really liked was Charlie. He seemed very genuine. The rest of it... honestly, I would buy it, but not for the reasons most people would.

Jacob is hot though. I'd go for Jacob. He's not a pervert. That I know of.

Heather19
04-04-2009, 10:29 AM
I can't believe it but I just drove all over the place to find New Moon. I'm going to start it right away.

As for the film, I watched it last night. Man, was that cheesy. What was up with the makeup on the Cullens! The first time we see Carlisle, I burst out laughing, he just looked so ridiculous. And as for Edward, I'll agree Ka-mai, he did come off as pretty creepy. I'm surprised who they cast in that role. Edward is supposed to be charming and handsome, and you're supposed to just be drawn to him. I kinda felt the opposite with him in the film.

Ka-mai
04-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Carlisle looks terrible. I would love to know why they felt the need to bleach his hair horribly. (If it's because his hair is blond in the books, fuck them for being anal about something so stupid.)

Heather19
04-04-2009, 06:27 PM
Agreed. That and the excessive makeup just made him look ridiculously silly.

Ka-mai
04-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Also, what was up with the one vampire chick being "omg I kill you for not eating our salad" and the other one being like "omg I love you forevers let's be bff while I sniff your delicious blood" and the guys just standing there like "...yep"?

It was weird!

Empath of the White
04-05-2009, 12:50 PM
Yeah, the way they got Pattinson looking in some of the promo images with that intense glare and the red around his eyes looks pretty creepy. In fact, base on what I've heard from people who've read the books, I'd say Mrs. Meyer was dancing around having a pretty decent horror series.

Did they address the "dead blood" in the first movie, or does that happen in one of the other books?

Matt
04-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I can't believe it but I just drove all over the place to find New Moon. I'm going to start it right away.

As for the film, I watched it last night. Man, was that cheesy. What was up with the makeup on the Cullens! The first time we see Carlisle, I burst out laughing, he just looked so ridiculous. And as for Edward, I'll agree Ka-mai, he did come off as pretty creepy. I'm surprised who they cast in that role. Edward is supposed to be charming and handsome, and you're supposed to just be drawn to him. I kinda felt the opposite with him in the film.

I may be dating myself but Carlisle so so badly done he reminded me of Herman's Head.

sarajean
04-07-2009, 12:54 PM
:rofl:

matt!

do you mean max headroom?

Brice
04-07-2009, 12:57 PM
or the old tv show Herman's Head?

Matt
04-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Holy shit, I think I do. Max Headroom

<---misspent youth.

Thanks sj. :couple:

sarajean
04-07-2009, 12:58 PM
no, worries.

i got what you meant, (obviously) cos he also reminded me of max headroom. and new coke.

Heather19
04-07-2009, 02:55 PM
:rofl: Well I guess I'm dating myself too because I remember both Max Headroom, and Herman's Head.

I can see it.
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/081031/Twilight-Cast/Peter-Facinelli_l.jpghttp://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/835/835142/watchmen-20071114032634502.jpg

turtlex
05-19-2009, 02:46 PM
New Twilight figure doll available at Sideshow :

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/large/900379.jpg

You're probably wondering why I would even look at this, as I'm not a Twilighter...

.... I thought it was Dana Scully !!!!

sarajean
05-19-2009, 02:58 PM
who is that supposed to be?

i'm assuming edward, but why does he look like he should have a wand in his hand? and wtf is up with his hair?!

turtlex
05-19-2009, 03:01 PM
His hair is why I thought it was Dana Scully.

Yes, it's EDWARD CULLEN for $139.99

They also have BELLA SWAN who, oddly, looks rather like Sarah Ferguson.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/large/900380.jpg

She'll put you back another $139.99

sarajean
05-19-2009, 03:09 PM
pass.

CyberGhostface
05-19-2009, 03:20 PM

Spoilers

Depends on who you ask...but apparently he "imprints" Bella's infant daughter in the last book, which means that he's selected her for mating. So...take that as you will.

Anyhoo, I find it disheartening that Twilight is so popular and yet no one outside of a certain niche even knows about the far superior Let the Right One In.

fernandito
05-19-2009, 04:00 PM
I've only heard Let The Right One In the movie, I had no idea that it was based on a novel. It's in English, right? If so I'm going to hunt it obsessively....like a.....vampire. :cyclops:

CyberGhostface
05-19-2009, 05:27 PM
I've only heard Let The Right One In the movie, I had no idea that it was based on a novel. It's in English, right? If so I'm going to hunt it obsessively....like a.....vampire. :cyclops:

The novel has been translated into English, but the title in America is "Let Me In" because the publishers thought the original title was too long. :unsure:

It's very good but very different from the movie--there's a lot more graphic violence, sexual situations and more explanations about what was left ambigious in the film (I.E. Eli and Haxan).

The author's been called the "Swedish Stephen King" if anyone needed any additional incentive to read it. :D

fernandito
05-19-2009, 05:30 PM
You had at me at 'graphic violence' :lol:

I'm going to search for it on amazon right meow :D

Ka-mai
05-20-2009, 06:14 PM

Spoilers

Depends on who you ask...but apparently he "imprints" Bella's infant daughter in the last book, which means that he's selected her for mating. So...take that as you will.

Anyhoo, I find it disheartening that Twilight is so popular and yet no one outside of a certain niche even knows about the far superior Let the Right One In.

OH DEAR GOD WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE?! :panic: I don't know which is worse, that she wrote it or that fourteen year olds are reading it en masse.

Erin
05-20-2009, 06:33 PM
You had at me at 'graphic violence' :lol:

I'm going to search for it on amazon right meow :D

Supertroopers reference! I :wub: you.

fernandito
05-21-2009, 09:45 AM
:blush:

sarajean
05-21-2009, 10:31 AM
<_<

MonteGss
06-02-2009, 09:49 PM
"The only thing more boring than reading about vampires having sex with other vampires is reading about vampires NOT having sex with other vampires."
Posted by Joe Hill, on his website. I got a kick out of it. :lol:

*If anyone is willing to pay for shipping, I will sell you my (waste of money) Twilight series (hardcovers) for $20. PM me.

Ka-mai
06-06-2009, 04:43 PM
:rofl:

Good luck Monte, you might have to pay $20 to get rid of them. :P

Nerak
06-06-2009, 06:07 PM
I would have taken you up on it, had I not already owned the series.

AcidBumbler
06-18-2009, 08:39 AM
Eh.. I find Twilight very overrated, really.
I heard a LOT about it from pretty much every girl at college, so I figured it can't be at all bad if they're going on about it so much.
Being into vampires, I thought it'd definitely be worth the £7 if it was so highly praised, so I went out and bought it.
Never regretted £7 quite so much.. =|
(Probably because I'm pretty low on cash all the time so it's no small thing for me to spend on a brand new book haha)

I really wish I'd used the library instead - ended up giving the book to my 11 year old cousin. She loved it.. of course.
I got about 40/50ish pages in then just couldn't read any more, which is really unusual because I'm really stubborn with books and refuse to leave them unfinished. Didn't like Meyers' writing style whatsoever and I agree with King's opinion on Twilight completely..

Why do people compare Twilight to Harry Potter, anyway? There's no similarity between them whatsoever. :orely:

Meh. Each to their own, though.

Ka-mai
06-25-2009, 05:19 PM
I KNOW! Harry Potter I will admit started out as children's stories, but became more, and all through it everything was significant and well-written (moreso as the series went on). Twilight is just shitty writing. I tried reading it in a drugstore while waiting for my prescription and I felt like I was reading some girl's Livejournal attempt at a novel.

Heather19
07-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Well I just finished the series. As a whole I found it to be a really entertaining read. I couldn't put it down. However, the last book kinda dragged a bit in my opinion. I didn't really care for the whole plot about the baby, and I got really annoyed when she changed perspective and wrote part of the story from Jacob's point of view.

Has anyone read the draft of midnight sun that's out there on the internet?

Unfound One
07-04-2009, 09:45 PM
I have Heather, and I actually enjoyed it more than Twilight from Bella's perspective.

It's also cool to see where the stories mesh together.

I'd recommend reading it if you liked the series as a whole - I think it's only like 250 pages in Word, double spaced.

Heather19
07-05-2009, 07:33 AM
Thanks. I definitely plan to read it, but I hadn't heard anything about it so was curious if it was any good or not. And honestly, I think I might enjoy the story from Edward's perspective more than Bella's as well.

Unfound One
07-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Heh.
It's not *quite* as whiny.
But it's definitely still angsty... :lol:

AcidBumbler
07-05-2009, 11:49 AM
I KNOW! Harry Potter I will admit started out as children's stories, but became more, and all through it everything was significant and well-written (moreso as the series went on). Twilight is just shitty writing. I tried reading it in a drugstore while waiting for my prescription and I felt like I was reading some girl's Livejournal attempt at a novel.

Couldnt've put it better myself. :evil:
I was thinking fanfiction.net (dunno if that's the right web address but it's something like that)

Disincarnate
07-06-2009, 07:51 AM
She should have ended the book with them getting married and Bella turning into a vampire. The whole thing with the baby and the imprinting was just stupid.

Also, Renesme is the worst name ever.

sarajean
07-06-2009, 09:12 AM
really?

i loved the whole third portion of that book.

i could have done without the jacob stuff, but other than that, it's my favourite.

Disincarnate
07-06-2009, 09:20 AM
I think it made the book lose it's charm. It was a cute little love story up until then. That part made me feel like Stephanie Meyer sat down and made a list of all the most obnoxious and ridiculous things that she could possibly think of - and put them in her book:

...demon-vampire spawn, demon-vampire spawn trying to eat its way out of Bella, sex-cottage, werewolf pedophilia, etc...

I donno, just wasn't feelin' it.

Heather19
07-06-2009, 01:42 PM
She should have ended the book with them getting married and Bella turning into a vampire. The whole thing with the baby and the imprinting was just stupid.

Also, Renesme is the worst name ever.

I agree. I think I would have enjoyed the last book alot more had she ended it that way. The whole baby plot just seemed out of place from the rest of the story. And then Jacob imprinting on her daughter. :nope:

Heather19
07-14-2009, 05:25 PM
I was talking to my boss the other day about the ending, and I've got a question because we both came to different conclusions. I'll spoiler it just in case
She felt bad for Jacob at the end because Renesme won't age. I was under the impression that Jacob was around 16 yrs old, and that Renesme would age to approximately that age as well, and since there are still vampires around he'll stay that age for a long time. She, however, was saying that Renesme would only age to about 13-14, and that Jacob was already about 18 yrs old. So she thought they would never have a love type of relationship since Renesme would still be young. What were your interpretations?

Unfound One
07-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Hmm... I thought that the other half vampire they met had grown up? So wouldn't Nessie as well?

But maybe not, it's been awhile. And I don't have my book so I can't even check. Sorry I'm so little help Heather. :(

ETA: Wikipedia says the following: "She will reach physical maturity after about seven years, when her physical appearance will be around seventeen, and then stop aging."

I don't know where they're getting that from, but it's Wikipedia, so it has to be correct, right? :lol:

Unfound One
07-14-2009, 05:40 PM
Wait, double post.

Here's the link for the Twilight Wiki article about Nahuel (http://twilightsaga.wikia.com/wiki/Nahuel) - the half vampire guy.
He's 150 years old, but looks young.

And the wiki article about Nessie says the same thing as earlier - she will age 7 years and then physically stop.

Heather19
07-15-2009, 02:17 PM
[QUOTE=Unfound One;417473ETA: Wikipedia says the following: "She will reach physical maturity after about seven years, when her physical appearance will be around seventeen, and then stop aging."[/QUOTE]

Thanks SJ, that's kinda the impression that I was under as well, but then after talking to my boss I got confused because she was insisting she would only physically grow to about the look of a 13 yr old. I'll go check out the wiki.

Ka-mai
07-18-2009, 07:33 PM

Couldnt've put it better myself. :evil:
I was thinking fanfiction.net (dunno if that's the right web address but it's something like that)

:wtf: Oh, the hours I spent on ff.net! I can't decide if they are fond or shameful memories.... :P

Mordred Deschain
09-03-2009, 09:45 AM
question: Oh first, I have not read the entire series yet, but I am about 1/4 the way thru eclipse so if my question is going to get answered later on, just let me know, and if I missed the answer, well that's speed reading for ya: How can Alice use her power and see Bella in future instances when NO other vampires special ability works on Bella? And unless I missed some of the story speed reading, Alice said she saw Bella jump of the cliff in the future. How is that possible?

what
09-03-2009, 11:59 AM
You'll understand later... and I'm not tellling!

Mordred Deschain
09-04-2009, 01:02 PM
You'll understand later... and I'm not tellling!

That's cool, as long as my question getz answered!!

Oh, does it get answered in eclipse or the next book? hehe..

Heather19
09-04-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm pretty sure it's not until the last book.

sarah
09-04-2009, 02:01 PM
you find out the answer to your question towards the end of eclipse.

Mordred Deschain
09-05-2009, 08:54 AM
Alrighty!!! Thanks all!! :grouphug:

jhanic
09-05-2009, 11:45 AM
I just visited the bookstore at my old alma mater (Kent State University) and discovered that Twilight is required reading in one of the English courses!

John

CyberGhostface
09-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Here's question I have as I haven't read any of the books...

Apparently in the second book, when Edward thinks Bella is dead, he plans on committing suicide by standing in the sun. However, if vampires just glitter in the sun in this universe instead of burning up like a respectable vampire would, how would that kill him?

sarajean
09-05-2009, 03:59 PM

Apparently in the second book, when Edward thinks Bella is dead, he plans on committing suicide by standing in the sun. However, if vampires just glitter in the sun in this universe instead of burning up like a respectable vampire would, how would that kill him?

he doesn't stand in the sun to kill himself. he intends to stand in the sun, revealing himself as a vampire to humans to cause the volturi to kill him for exposing the secret.

Mordred Deschain
09-05-2009, 07:47 PM

he doesn't stand in the sun to kill himself. he intends to stand in the sun, revealing himself as a vampire to humans to cause the volturi to kill him for exposing the secret.

:thumbsup: that much I get!

CyberGhostface
09-08-2009, 04:18 PM

Ahh, ok. Thanks.

Mordred Deschain
09-09-2009, 01:44 PM
you find out the answer to your question towards the end of eclipse.

Alright I got it! I do understand it and it's not lame like I thought the explanation was going to be. HOWEVER.... so..Alice can see the actual physical movement of somebody? So whenever the book makes the comment "well when a person changes their MIND then the future changes" has nothing to do with the mental decision to change your mind and only what physically happens? Am I getting the explanation correct?

Mordred Deschain
11-22-2009, 01:36 PM
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w246/pherf/twilight.jpgHAHAHAHAHAHAH....

Hannah
11-22-2009, 02:28 PM
:lol: Nice.

mystima
11-22-2009, 07:33 PM
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w246/pherf/twilight.jpgHAHAHAHAHAHAH....

:unsure: :unsure: :scared: :scared: :evil: :evil: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl:

Nerak
11-23-2009, 08:45 AM
I saw New Moon yesterday! What a great movie! Loved the ending! Totally awsome!! Can't wait til Saturday to geek out all over again and see it again!

Melike
01-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Last summer I was looking for movies to watch, and by chance I chose The Twilight between a friend's rented DVDs. I didn't like it but didn't hate it either. It was ok and helped me to pass time. Then the second movie came out, and with the instict that curiosity causes, I watched it too. The ending of the second movie awaken the curiosity so I decided to read rest. So I didn't read the first two books. Eclipse and Breaking Dawn were not pieces of art, as I have guessed, poorly written, easy read. Still I don't feel regretful about reading them; I had to learn if Bella would turn into a vampire or not. :D

really?

i loved the whole third portion of that book.

i could have done without the jacob stuff, but other than that, it's my favourite.
Yeah, I think the best part of the series was the last one. It didn't disturb me to read it from Jacob's point of view.

I just visited the bookstore at my old alma mater (Kent State University) and discovered that Twilight is required reading in one of the English courses!

John
John, if I were a person teaching English to non-native speakers, I would recommend my beginner students Twilight to keep them on reading. Too many negative feedbacks on the writing quality of the books, but that means many people are still reading them to the ending.

And, I am so happy Meyer has written such a story that forces a creativity to rise from some people. Here are some examples: *and also my favorites*
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy168/melikeb/edwardisafairy/19662_1117867126778_1830013781_2279.jpg
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy168/melikeb/edwardisafairy/11865_541981522941_42000799_3192959.jpg
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy168/melikeb/edwardisafairy/17148_1189546055707_1140015167_3054.jpg
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy168/melikeb/edwardisafairy/20265_1305768051331_1444436584_3084.jpg
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy168/melikeb/edwardisafairy/17175_1176511339330_1424490194_3043.jpg
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy168/melikeb/edwardisafairy/13369_1280211121841_1126947063_3088.jpg
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy168/melikeb/edwardisafairy/18680_545031226311_42000799_3203134.jpg
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy168/melikeb/edwardisafairy/22274_543733736491_42000799_3198045.jpg
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy168/melikeb/edwardisafairy/11865_542263423011_42000799_3193994.png
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy168/melikeb/edwardisafairy/45c0b1f3.jpg

Heather19
01-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Melike, where did you find that Edward and Jareth one, I love it. :rofl:

Melike
01-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Those are all on a Facebook page a friend has joined recently. It had a long name. Let me look for it.

*edit*

I found it here:
Edward Cullen is a fictional character and he will never love you. (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Edward-Cullen-is-a-fictional-character-and-he-will-never-love-you/352983515284?ref=nf)

Mordred Deschain
01-10-2010, 11:15 AM
LOL

ArtherEld
07-14-2010, 05:15 AM
Because there isn't a thread for this, I decided to start one.

And being the first post in a thread dedicated to the series, it probably should be a good post right? Sorry.

I've never seen one of these movies yet. And I know I shouldn't prejudge. Is it hypocritical of me? I got mad at people for saying the Star Trek movie sucks on only watching the movie trailer.

But I don't know what it is. I just don't get it.

Scratch that, I know what it is. Mostly it's the guys who abhore everything this movie is about. And maybe it's just that jealousy coming out of me. Because when I think of the Twilight series I think of all my bad experiences in high school. I was a nerd. Surprised? :rolleyes: And what always, always made me shake my head in disgust was how one of two guys would always get the girls' attention: a.) the shirtless boy-whore or b.) the douchebag.

I would actually throw my hands up and roll my eyes when going to a dance club and the crowd actually parts when a group of muscular guys in wifebeaters show up. I'm like, "Ah, shit, here comes the shirtless boywhores, here to cockblock the entire dancefloor."

But let's not forget the douchebags. They would come into the class... It was always like the "new kid", right? The girls were like, "Oooooh, he'th tho mythteriouth. The way hith hat coverth hith eyeth." Yeah, the hat! Remember the hat? The way they'd wear it like way down so the bill covers their eyes. And, awe, oh, he's so quiet. A shy guy, is the kinda guy who will only be mine. No, the vamps in the movie didn't wear hats. But it's the same deal. They sort of tried to emulate James Dean or something. You know the kid leaning against the wall, one foot propped up, tousled hair, silk shirt blowing in the breeze, dark eyes, "Hey.... I wrote you a poem."

And they've made an entire movie series glorifying the two biggest cockblock types in the world. The douchebags playing the part of the vampires, and the shirtless boywhores as the werewolves.

Now you know the answer to your question: Dude, why do you even care about a stupid movie you probably won't even see? Because I see them everywhere. I'm not going to stop going to Burger King just because I'm forced to thumb Taylor Lautner's nipples whenever I'm drinking some coke. But he's there on the side of my cup and yes, that makes me hate the Twilight series with passion.

Mattrick
07-14-2010, 05:48 AM
Twilight follows the standard formula:

1. Pick something that is huge right now (vampires)
2. Find suitable Material (teenage books, written by hack writers)
3. Cast young attractive stars
4. Advertise the heck out of it
5. Disregard paying for good directors or screen writers
6. Pump out each movie faster than the last one
7. Make progressively worse movies that make progressively more money
8. Make sure the focus of the movies is a love story so teenage girls will love it, ensuring males get hooked into seeing it, thus making more money than ever imagined.

I won't see the movies. I know they are bad. Don't need to see them. I can guarantee the acting is mediocore at best. I can guarantee you can't pump out a good movie in 8 months. Yes, New Moon went into theatres last October I think and the next one took 3/4 of a year to release. The CGI looks terrible. The previews are nothing but random images and quotes from terrible sources saying it's the best movie of the summer. Maybe if I was 14 and had a sea of estrogen swimming through my body I would love this. But I don't and I refuse to give these studios even a cent of my money to fuel the terrible movies that makes hundreds of millions of dollars machine that means studios greenlight more crap movies that make more money than a quality movie like The Road ever possibly could.

Twilight is a prime example on why people who give a damn about making good movies need to get into Hollywood and why executives need to realize that if they made less junk and helped promote quality movies instead of Grown Ups for 8 weeks on television (you know a movie is bad when they advertise it for so long) the actual good movies would make more money.

ArtherEld
07-14-2010, 06:47 AM
Yeah, look, that's another thing. I'm a big defender of CGI. Well, not big, like I jack off to it or anything. But if done with the ambition to make it look real and if they're successful, yes, it's good.

But... who's doing the cgi for these movies? It looks like one of the bad syfy channel movies. They look like cartoons! I can't even fathom what's going on offscreen, "Uh, yeah, make the wolves using cgi, but, uh, they don't have to be perfect. Teenyboppers don't care about sfx. So, you can, you can relax on this one."

razz
07-14-2010, 07:30 AM
KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Nerak
07-14-2010, 08:46 AM
There is a thread for it here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=3911&highlight=twilight)

So, I would like to ask the masters of this domain to merge these two threads together.

Second, just because you don't like it what gives you the right to base it (and if you cite the fifth amendment I will ban your ass!!! :lol: )

There are MILLIONS of people worldwide who LOVE these books and movies and HELL YEAH, I am one of them!!

They are NEVER going to be Lord of The Rings or To Kill a Mockingbird, but they are still loved by millions!

And Mattrick, you seem to know an AWFUL lot about a series of movies that you don't ever want to see!!!! I think you closetly LOVE THEM!! :lol: j/k

Bev Vincent
07-14-2010, 09:43 AM
There are MILLIONS of people worldwide who LOVE these books and movies and HELL YEAH, I am one of them!!

As some wag posted on Twitter: Twilight is like the World Cup: They run around for two hours, nobody scores, and billions of fans claim you don't understand.

SynysterSaint
07-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Twilight follows the standard formula:

1. Pick something that is huge right now (vampires)
2. Find suitable Material (teenage books, written by hack writers)
3. Cast young attractive stars
4. Advertise the heck out of it
5. Disregard paying for good directors or screen writers
6. Pump out each movie faster than the last one
7. Make progressively worse movies that make progressively more money
8. Make sure the focus of the movies is a love story so teenage girls will love it, ensuring males get hooked into seeing it, thus making more money than ever imagined.

1. Vampires weren't huge until Meyer decided they were. Not to mention that Edward isn't exactly a vampire. He can't sleep, for one thing (I'm fairly certain that the desire to sleep during the day is a steeple of vampire mythos). On top of that, he's able to read minds. And the most ridiculous bit of vampire mythos that Meyer completely rapes is their inability to cope with sunlight. I'm sure all Twilight fan have heard this before, but tell me: where, in the long history of vampire mythos have you ever seen a vampire sparkle? Sunlight makes their body necrotic, not sparkle. Just a quick second of direct sunlight and vampire's bodies begin to die... very quickly.

Werewolves weren't exactly popular either, but they aren't exactly werewolves, are they? They're humans who have the ability to transform into wolves at will. Werewolves are not humans that simply turn into wolves on a whim (nor do they simply turn into wolves).

Just like Edward breaks all definitions of "vampire" except for the most basic (sucks blood), Jacob breaks all definitions of "werewolf" except for the most basic (can turn into a wolf... which still isn't accurate to the term "werewolf").

2. I find it ridiculous that Twilight has been considered to be too racy for younger readers, yet the sentence structure and verbiage used by Meyer is at an eighth grade level. The story is a two-bit knock-off of any serious vampire tale, and it's intended for younger girls. Shit, the whole book is an allegory for Mormonism!

3. I don't find any actor in Twilight films to be attractive in the least bit. I'm bisexual and I don't find a single one attractive. I'm nineteen. What does that tell you about their target audience (teens)?

4. It's way too overboard. I am so sick of seeing Twilight memorabilia everywhere I go!

5. No screenwriter in the world is good enough to fix the cluster-fuck that is Meyer's dialogue. I will admit that the direction is fantastic (in terms of camera angles and whatnot). I have no problem with the cinematography from a director's stand-point. The acting is awful, but I mean, come on... no director can fix shitty acting any better than Catherine Hardwicke has.

6. I can understand the movies being done quickly. Have you seen the font and margin sizes in the books? They're more like short stories than novels!

7. It's not that the films get worse, it's just that they're shoved down our throats so much more as time goes on that the movies get that much more annoying.

8. Every girl wants an Edward or a Jacob, plain and simple. It's awful.

By the way, Stephen King has stated his position on Meyer and her books very clearly (taken from Wikipedia; sources can be found in the footnotes on the Stephenie Meyer page): While comparing Meyer to J. K. Rowling, Stephen King stated, "the real difference [between J. K. Rowling and Meyer] is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer, and Stephenie Meyer can't write worth a darn. She's not very good." King described the Twilight series saying that "people are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it's very clear that she's writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It's exciting and it's thrilling and it's not particularly threatening because it's not overtly sexual."

If you want an actual vampire novel that accurately represents the mythos, read 'Salem's Lot or I Am Legend. If you want some mindless dribble that's only worth is to soak up time and give mild enjoyment with no real substance, read Twilight.

Dagavidiab
07-15-2010, 05:50 AM
And what do you think about Rice's vampires?

what
07-15-2010, 06:22 AM
I guess I'll bump the trend, I agree the first book should not have been read (to much girly crap). Saying that I LOVED the last three. The final book is epic and the whole series would have been even better if the "love story" had been chopped down to a few sentences a chapter. It had blood suckers, spirit shifters and fights. Maybe the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies guy could rewrite it to just be blood suckers, shifters and fights and be a perfectly indulgent tale! I only read them because they were at the house, in my defense.

SusanDelgado
07-15-2010, 01:49 PM
I absolutely loved the novels. Though the spins on vampires and their societies and ways of life are definitely out there, Stephanie Meyer wrote their world and the characters lives intoxicatingly well. The movies, however, are not what I expect them to be from my experiences reading the four books in the Twilight series.

Roland of Gilead 33
02-12-2011, 09:36 PM
this series, i did actually read in (2009) summer actaully, my mom was reading the series. i can't remember if i've said this here already if i have i apologize. i can never remember. he he anyways, she read it, & enjoyed it. & she said i wouldn't like it. so i took that as a challenge. as i've done in the past. when the book "Disclosure" came out way back in the early 90's. i was told i wouldn't like it. & i fell in love with it. it's i think M.C. best book that i've read of his. & i haven't actaully read that many of his. anyways.

the 1st book was a decent book i don't think it deserved a sequel though. nor a movie either. it was poorly written i agree. the 2nd one is a LOT better i think. i also think she could have cut back a LOT on the love story. cause who talks like that? anyways, the 3rd one i liked i just thought it had a shitty ending. but the 4th one i loved. in short the 2nd one & the 4th one are the best ones. i read the last one in like a week & a half i think? maybe a week? i hadn't read a book that long in YEARS! that damn fast!

they are easy reads. & that was nice for a damn change. the books are a good & fast read. if you want that. but they aren't as good as people claim they are. at least i don't think they are.

Erin
02-14-2011, 07:01 AM
:lol: I can't believe I was the one who started this thread.

Anyhoo, I still enjoy the series. They were quick, fun reads for me.