PDA

View Full Version : Best/Worst Cover Songs

Pages : [1] 2

Girlystevedave
07-31-2008, 09:28 AM
I thought it would be fun to post our favorite cover songs...and those that make us wanna stab ourselves in the ears.
:)

I have a lot to list, but the ones that have always stuck out for me are:

Good:

I Will Survive
~Cake

Knockin' On Heaven's Door
~Guns N Roses

Bad:

Ain't Too Proud To Beg
~Rolling Stones
(I like the Sotnes and all, but Mick Jagger's vocals on this did not compare to David Ruffin of The Temptations, in my opinion. Maybe I was just spoiled. :) )

Sweet Child Of Mine
Sheryl Crow
(I can't begin to describe my anger when I heard this one)

darktowerseeker
07-31-2008, 10:52 AM
Good: Barenaked Ladies - Say you, Say me (awesome!)
Type-O Negative - Daytripper

Worst: 311 - Love Song (arrgg!)
Puff Daddy - Every Breath You Take

Heather19
07-31-2008, 11:04 AM
Some of my favorites are

All Along the Watchtower - Dave Matthews Band
Hurt - Johnny Cash
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Tori Amos

jayson
07-31-2008, 11:13 AM
Excellent thread Amanda. I could very easily post in here all day long, but I will limit myself for now to a few examples of good and bad.

Good:

Time Is Tight - The Clash (original by Booker T. & The MG's)

The Clash do a fine rendition of it, particularly in Mick Jones' formation of chords to make up for the obvious lack of Booker T.'s organ.

Paranoid Android - Brad Mehldau (originally by Radiohead)

For those of you unfamiliar with Brad, he is a jazz pianist, and one of a caliber I can only compare to players like Thelonious Monk and Keith Jarrett. He has covered several Radiohead songs over the course of his career and does a fine job on most of them, but this one in particular is very impressive. It is a difficult song to appropriate in a solo piano version, but he does a remarkable job. Perhaps the only cover that he has done which has impressed me more is his absolutely stunning version of The Beatles' "Dear Prudence."

Sittin' In Limbo - Jerry Garcia & David Grisman (originally by Jimmy Cliff)

While I still prefer the original (Jimmy's voice is so powerful to me), Jerry & Grisman's version is fantastic. Their playing is spectacular and Jerry's voice is very well suited for this song.

Bad:

Knockin' on Heaven's Door - Eric Clapton (originally by Bob Dylan)

I know a lot of people like EC's version, but for me the original is the ONLY version of this song. Short story, I was once on a date when Bob Dylan's version came on the radio in the car. The girl I was with commented that "it's ok, but it's not as good as Clapton's original version." I was quite tempted to pull the car over right then and there and declare the date over.

Dear Prudence - Jerry Garcia Band

I love Jerry, but this one just never worked for me. For starters, I've never heard a single version where he gets the words correct. Secondly, it just doesn't go anywhere musically. I am not one of those who gets on Jerry's case for "noodling" on the guitar because many many of his solos have structure and cohesiveness. Unfortunately, on most versions of Dear Prudence, this is not the case.

streetbudz
07-31-2008, 11:24 AM
Good ones:

Sunday Bloody Sunday - Saul Williams (produced by Trent Reznor; this version is awesome)
The Man Who Sold The World - Nirvana

Bad ones people should be shot for:

The Kashmir song that Puff Daddy did. Man did Jimmy Page sell out for that one.
Personal Jesus - Marylin Manson. Basically the same song with terrible vocals
Behind Blue Eyes - Limp Bizkit. Do I need to say more?

jayson
07-31-2008, 11:28 AM
Some of my favorites are

All Along the Watchtower - Dave Matthews Band

Interesting because it's really a double cover. Like most bands that cover this song, DMB is essentially covering the Hendrix arrangement of the song, which is, of course, a cover in and of itself. Notably, even the song's author, Bob Dylan, has claimed that Jimi's is the quintessential version.

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Tori Amos

A good choice. What I like about Tori is that she understands that a cover version works best when the artist completely reinterprets the song. Straight covers are boring and usually just make you long for the original. Tori also does a very nice job with Tom Waits' "Time," and I am usually very hard to impress with Tom Waits' covers.

Heather19
07-31-2008, 11:44 AM
What I love about DMB's version of All Along the Watchtower is how it starts off really slow and quite, and then bam! they come busting in with the music. Definately their best cover in my opinion.
And Jimi's version of the song is wonderful as well. I haven't really heard a version of that song that I don't like.

And I agree about Tori. I think when you cover a song it works best when you reinterpret it and put your own spin on it. Otherwise you may as well just listen to the original. Another good one that she does is Livin on a Prayer, I don't know if you've heard that one or not.

jayson
07-31-2008, 11:47 AM
And I agree about Tori. I think when you cover a song it works best when you reinterpret it and put your own spin on it. Otherwise you may as well just listen to the original. Another good one that she does is Livin on a Prayer, I don't know if you've heard that one or not.

I have. My wife is about as obsessed with Tori as I am with Tom Waits and Miles Davis so I have been exposed to a lot of her music, and have seen her several times. Her version of that song is listenable, which is a LOT more than I can say for the original.

Erin
07-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Good:

"Enjoy the Silence" - Lacuna Coil (originally by Depeche Mode) - I just love everything
about this!

"Hallelujah" - Jeff Buckley (originally by Leonard Cohen) - Amazing. I also love the Rufus
Wainwright version.

"Crash" - Stevie Nicks (originally by Dave Matthews Band) - I think she did a great job.

"So You Want To Be A Rock and Roll Star" - Tom Petty (originally by the Byrds) - Love it!

Bad:

"American Girl" - Pearl Jam (originally by Tom Petty) - I love Pearl Jam, but geez,
this was just badddddd.

"Piece of My Heart" - Faith Hill (originally by Janis Joplin - When I heard this version on
the radio, I almost cried. Janis sang it with such passion and
feeling, Faith Hill literally sings it like a carefree, pop song.
Absolutely horrible. * on second thought, I don't think Janis did this originally, but her's is the most well-known, so oh well.

jayson
07-31-2008, 02:03 PM
* on second thought, I don't think Janis did this originally, but her's is the most well-known, so oh well.

You are correct to think twice. The original version was recorded by Erma Franklin (Aretha's older sister) in 1967. It was a top 10 hit, but nowhere near as well known as Janis' version.

Vernon Reid recorded a great version of "Enjoy the Silence" on his most recent album "Other True Self." People may remember Vernon as the guitar player from the popular 1990's band Living Colour. He is a stellar guitar player, and does an amazing instrumental version of this song. To be honest, I hate the Depeche Mode version, but Vernon's version made me realize it's a good song.

Erin
07-31-2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks Jayson for clearing that up. I just listened to the Erma Franklin's version and really liked it, although I still prefer the Janis version.

A couple other covers I really like:

"Whiskey in the Jar" by Metallica (originally by The Dubliners)

and

I really like the Ike and Tina Turner version of "Proud Mary"

cozener
08-01-2008, 03:01 AM
Speaking of covers, Stevie Ray Vaughn's cover of Superstition is, I think, better than the original.

Bad
Hooked on a Feeling

My Sweet Lord (wtf George?!)

Anything sung by Axel Rose (the grating that his voice inflicts upon my ears is much akin to the feeling of having them cleaned out with a sandpaper q-tip)

Good
Anything by Mr. Bungle (aside from a couple of selections from California)

Too many Pink Floyd songs to name...but I should note that they all came before Roger Waters left the band

Sound of Silence

Weigh (by Phish)

Nights in White Satin

Jungle Boogie

Tubesnake Boogie (speaking of "boogie")

Baby Got Back

Shape of my Heart (Sting)

Oh Yeah (Yello is great all around IMO but this is their crown jewel)

Ride of the Valkyries

I could sit here and list songs I love all day...

jayson
08-01-2008, 04:53 AM
My Sweet Lord (wtf George?!)

Do you mean the re-recorded 2001 version from the remastered "All Things Must Pass" album? If so, I agree with you completely. It's the musical version of the revised Gunslinger. It was completely unnecessary and did not do justice to the original song.

Weigh (by Phish)

The Phish version of "Weigh" is not a cover. It was written by Phish bass player Mike Gordon and first appeared on their album Rift. Are you talking about some cover of it for whom you didn't mention what band it was?

Too many Pink Floyd songs to name...but I should note that they all came before Roger Waters left the band

What Pink Floyd songs from the Roger Waters era are covers? I cannot for the life of me figure out a single one. Unless, again, you are talking about someone else covering the song and just didn't name them in your post. Please clarify.

cozener
08-01-2008, 05:01 AM
You know what? I completely missed the point of the thread. I thought it was just best and worst songs period and I noticed the last couple of posts about covers. Yep...I'm a tool. :lol:

jayson
08-01-2008, 05:03 AM
You know what? I completely missed the point of the thread. I thought it was just best and worst songs period and I noticed the last couple of posts about covers. Yep...I'm a tool. :lol:

It's ok dude. You did confuse me a bit there.

Girlystevedave
08-02-2008, 04:47 AM
Good:
Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm

:thumbsup: That is a good one

While I'm picky about anyone touching Beatles or Lennon covers, I've got to say Matisyahu's cover of "Watching The Wheels" is awesome in my book. :)

jayson
08-02-2008, 05:13 AM
While I'm picky about anyone touching Beatles or Lennon covers, I've got to say Matisyahu's cover of "Watching The Wheels" is awesome in my book. :)

I have mixed feelings about that one. Musically I think he does a good job with it. It just seems a bit odd contextually. Lyrically the song is about the five years John took off from the music business when Sean was born. It's his response to all the criticism to which he was subjected at the time, and thus it sounds kind of odd out of context.

darktowerseeker
08-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Good:

Bad:

"American Girl" - Pearl Jam (originally by Tom Petty) - I love Pearl Jam, but geez,
this was just badddddd.

honestly, i love pearl jam too, but i don't like any one of their covers.

jayson
08-02-2008, 10:09 AM
honestly, i love pearl jam too, but i don't like any one of their covers.

I'm with you there with a couple of exceptions... they do pretty good versions of the Ramones' "I Believe In Miracles" and the MC5's "Kick Out the Jams." Other than that, I prefer when they stick to their own material.

fernandito
08-02-2008, 10:12 AM
I love Judas Priest's version of Paint It Black.

jayson
08-02-2008, 10:26 AM
I do too Feev. I like the original better (it's one of the Stones' best songs) but I do like the Priest version a lot.

Bluenose
08-02-2008, 11:40 AM
I have to say Kid Rocks All Summer Long, while maybe not technically a cover, samples both Werewolves of London and Sweet Home Alabama and it should have been burnt at birth.

William50
08-02-2008, 03:01 PM
I have to say Kid Rocks All Summer Long, while maybe not technically a cover, samples both Werewolves of London and Sweet Home Alabama and it should have been burnt at birth.

I agree with you there!
Kid Rock has gotten rather "twangy" lately.

:orely: I agree. I have noticed that alot of kid Rock's music is getting worse and worse, and I used to like him (his old stuff anyway.)

Bluenose
08-02-2008, 03:03 PM
my local radio station played it 3 times between 8am and 4pm the other day. I'm a Zevon and Skynyrd fan. Think how I feel....

William50
08-02-2008, 03:04 PM
Ouch!

Heather19
08-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Is that that new song that I keep hearing on the radio that says sweet home alabama in it? If so, I really can't stand it, it drives me crazy.

Erin
08-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Oooh I thought of another good one earlier today.

The White Stripes version of Jolene (Dolly Parton) is awesome!

Girlystevedave
08-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Deftones cover of "Jealous Guy" is awesome!
My only complaint is that Chino's f'n vocals aren't louder. :)

Girlystevedave
08-04-2008, 01:34 PM
Me First and the Gimme Gimme's cover of Country Roads: (I am in love!)

The original version of the song was played at my grandmother's funeral, so the 'rocked out' version of this song really holds a special place in my heart. Every time I listen to it, I wish my grandmother was still alive to hear it. :) She would have thought it was awesome.

Armand St Pierre
08-04-2008, 02:48 PM
great cover songs
Baker Street~Foo fighters (original by Jerry Rafferty)
Long Tall Sally~ The Beatles (original by Little Richard)
Asshole~Tom Petty (original by Beck)
Across The Universe~ Fiona Apple (original by The Beatles)
Hotel California~The Gipsy Kings (original by The Eagles)
I Put A Spell On You~Marilyn Manson (original by Screamin' Jay Hawkins) Mr. Manson really made this his on the Lost Highway soundtrack.......there is also another version by Nina Simone that is equally delectable. :clap:
HORRIBLE and should never have been attempted in the first place
American Pie~Madonna (original by Don McLean) I couldn't possibly say enough bad things about this cover.
so bad, in fact, that I don't need to post another

what
08-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Another Brick in the Wall - Keller Williams
In a Big Country - moe.

jayson
08-05-2008, 07:39 AM
Looking for a good Beatles' cover?

Try Wilson Pickett's version of "Hey Jude".

Not only does the song feature the amazing soulful vocals of Mr. Pickett, but it features an absolutely stunning guitar outro-solo from a guitar player who at the time was virtually unknown, one Duane Allman. That guitar part was a huge influence on almost all future soul/R&B recordings.

jayson
08-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Good: "Don't Do It" - The Band (originally "Baby Don't You Do It" by Marvin Gaye)

Bad: "Baby Don't You Do It' - The Who (same original as above)

The original is a great song (duh, it's Marvin Gaye). The Band's version is awesome, particularly Levon Helm's vocals. The Who's version is downright awful. They tried to turn it into a rocker and pretty much killed the song.

Bluenose
08-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Looking for a good Beatles' cover?

Try Wilson Pickett's version of "Hey Jude".

Not only does the song feature the amazing soulful vocals of Mr. Pickett, but it features an absolutely stunning guitar outro-solo from a guitar player who at the time was virtually unknown, one Duane Allman. That guitar part was a huge influence on almost all future soul/R&B recordings.

Duane ROCKS!

jayson
08-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Duane ROCKS!

He certainly did.

Bluenose
08-06-2008, 11:40 AM
one of my greatest musical regrets is that I never got the chance to see the Allman Bros in their prime, with Duane and Berry Oakley. I was lucky enough to see them at the Beacon in NY in 2006 (its a hell of a long way from Belfast, let me tell you!) and it was an amazing gig. Have you read Skydog?

Havent made my way into the Grateful Dead yet, though I'm getting there, slowly!

jayson
08-06-2008, 11:53 AM
one of my greatest musical regrets is that I never got the chance to see the Allman Bros in their prime, with Duane and Berry Oakley. I was lucky enough to see them at the Beacon in NY in 2006 (its a hell of a long way from Belfast, let me tell you!) and it was an amazing gig. Have you read Skydog?

Havent made my way into the Grateful Dead yet, though I'm getting there, slowly!

I wish I could have seen them at that point too, but as I was only 3 when Duane died, this obviously could not have happened. I did see them MANY times in the early-mid 1990's (I lost count after 30 shows, but it's a few more than that) including several of their legendary Beacon runs. This was during the Dickie Betts/Warren Haynes years. Though I never got to see Berry Oakley play, I did get to see many shows with the late great Allen Woody on bass. That was very much a musical highlight.

I have read Skydog and thought it was an excellent book.

I hope when you get around to listening to the Dead you enjoy it. If you are a fan of the ABB, I would definitely recommend starting with the 1965-1972 era of the Dead first. This is when they were still primarily a blues band led by the phenomenal Ron "Pigpen" McKernan.

Spencer
08-06-2008, 12:24 PM
BAD: "American Pie"- Madonna

Heather19
08-07-2008, 06:54 AM
Jayson, I was just going thru some music on my computer and came across a cover Tori did of Karma Police. Do you happen to know if she's covered other songs by Radiohead?

jayson
08-07-2008, 07:00 AM
Hi Heather. To my knowledge, no she hasn't. If she has than my wife has yet to come across it anywhere because she's as big a RH fan as I am and she'd surely have played it for me. There are certainly many songs of theirs I think would be interesting to hear her give a shot - not the least of which would be "Like Spinning Plates" but I don't know of any she's actually done to date besides "Karma Police."

On another note, I came into this thread to give props to the CAKE version of "Sad Songs & Waltzes" which was written and originally recorded by Willie Nelson. CAKE's guitar player Xan McCurdy has a very good feel for country-esque slide guitar and this is a song where it really shows.

Girlystevedave
08-07-2008, 07:17 AM
I forgot about "Sad Songs and Waltzes" :doh: (Hell, any Cake is good in my book)

jayson
08-07-2008, 07:25 AM
I forgot about "Sad Songs and Waltzes" :doh: (Hell, any Cake is good in my book)

They do so few covers that I wanted to give them credit for this one because I think they do such a nice job with it. Their version of "Strangers In the Night" I'm not particularly fond of.

Girlystevedave
08-07-2008, 07:29 AM
It's a little 'choppy' sounding isn't it? I can see why you'd say that.

Hannah
08-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Good
"Zombie" by Miser (originally the Cranberries)
"All Along the Watchtower" by Hendrix (originally by Bob Dylan - Hendrix's is so much better though)
"Bad Fish" by Jack Johnson (originally by Sublime)
"Imagine" by DMB and Blues Traveler (originally Lennon)

Bad
"Personal Jesus" by Marilyn Manson (originally by Depeche Mode)
"Another Brick in the Wall" by Korn (originally Pink Floyd)
"Big Yellow Taxi" by Counting Crows (originally Joni Mitchell) - when this song was popular I literally heard it at least four times a day. Gag me.

jayson
08-07-2008, 07:51 AM
That's pretty much it exactly. I think they tried to make it sound a bit too "Cakey" for lack of a better word, by using a lot of the sounds they use on many of their own songs. It just came off a little half-assed. The CAKE formula can work on many cover songs, for instance their version of "Mahna Mahna" is a lesson in how to make a song sound like a CAKE song, but it doesn't work all the time. Still, I like the vast majority of their work.

jayson
08-07-2008, 07:52 AM
"All Along the Watchtower" by Hendrix (originally by Bob Dylan - Hendrix's is so much better though)

Even Dylan agrees on that one. He's said many times that Jimi's is the quintessential version of that song.

Hannah
08-07-2008, 07:55 AM

Even Dylan agrees on that one. He's said many times that Jimi's is the quintessential version of that song.

Dylan knows when to give it up.

fernandito
08-07-2008, 08:26 AM

I like Korn, but this cover was horrible. Another Pink Floyd cover that really gets on my nerves is Run Like Hell by Kittie...it's just...bleh <_<

jayson
08-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Dylan knows when to give it up.

Definitely. He's covered so many songs in his career that he knows a good cover when he hears one.

I like Korn, but this cover was horrible. Another Pink Floyd cover that really gets on my nerves is Run Like Hell by Kittie...it's just...bleh <_<

The Floyd are a band that it's best not to cover. It almost never comes off very well unless the band does a straight cover and then it begs the question of what's the point of doing the song exactly like the original when the original was done so well in the first place.

fernandito
08-07-2008, 08:46 AM
Beautifully stated *tear*.

Also, I L:wub:VE Cradle of Filth's cover of Hallowed Be Thy Name (Iron Maiden), I like it even better than the original. That gasmask effect in the beginning, and the way Danny growls "I'm waiting , in my cold cell..." kicks 19 different kinds of ass.

jayson
08-07-2008, 08:57 AM
As a big fan of both the Ramones and Tom Waits I'd be remiss not to include the following on my list of good covers...

The Return of Jackie & Judy - Tom Waits (originally by the Ramones)
Danny Says - Tom Waits (originally by the Ramones)

Tom is a master at arranging songs. To be honest, I've always thought "Danny Says" was a good song lyrically but never really cared for the original arrangement which I thought was overproduced (not unusual since that album was produced by Phil Spector who has a very heavy hand in the studio). Tom's version shows off what a great song it really can be when it's stripped down.

And on the other side of the equation...

I Don't Wanna Grow Up - Ramones (originally by Tom Waits)

They're version of this song is fairly straightforward - they weren't exactly virtuoso musicians so I don't expect them to come up with unique arrangements, but there are many covers which got the Ramones treatment which don't always come off so great. This one sounds perfect. It's also notable as one of a very small number of songs on which Johnny plays a solo (albeit a brief restatement of the melody).

Brice
08-09-2008, 07:44 AM
Apparently every Beatles/Lennon cover Elliot Smith did is excellent.

theyspunaweb
08-09-2008, 12:58 PM
I also love the Fiona Apple version of "Across the Universe".
Fiona Apples "Sally's Song" from a Nightmare Before Christmas is good too!

I'll probably get a lot of crap for this too, but Dashboard Confessional is my favorite band, & they have done a whole crap load of covers. A whole CD of them actually, my favorite being Weezer's, "El Schorcho".

...I'm sure I'll think of more

Erin
08-17-2008, 11:12 AM
I like Gillian Welch, David Rawlings and Old Crow Medicine Show's cover of The Weight.

Heyjude
09-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Good

I will survive by Cake
I'll Stand by You by Carrie Underwood

Bad

Anything by William Hung.

Seppe-sai
09-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Also, I L:wub:VE Cradle of Filth's cover of Hallowed Be Thy Name (Iron Maiden), I like it even better than the original. That gasmask effect in the beginning, and the way Danny growls "I'm waiting , in my cold cell..." kicks 19 different kinds of ass.

I'll have to find that one, that is by far my favorite Maiden song.

GOOD:

"Sympathy for the Devil" (Guns 'N' Roses) I just think this is about the best I have ever heard Slash play.

"War Pigs" (Faith no More) Mike Patton. 'Nuff said.

BAD:

Foo Fighters did a cover of a Pink Floyd song that was so bad I can't even remember which song it was :doh:

I wish I still had an old cd I made of all covers... a few from this thread were on it, including "I Will Survive" and "All Along the Watchtower" (DMB version).

sarah
09-03-2008, 08:30 AM

I'll have to find that one, that is by far my favorite Maiden song.

GOOD:

"Sympathy for the Devil" (Guns 'N' Roses) I just think this is about the best I have ever heard Slash play.

"War Pigs" (Faith no More) Mike Patton. 'Nuff said.

I would have to TOTALLY DISAGREE with you! :P

Sympathy's best cover, imo, is the Jane's Addiction version.

Rjeso
09-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Good:

Down In The Park - Foo Fighters
Baker Street - Foo Fighters
Blitzkrieg Bop - Rob Zombie
Word Up - Korn (usually hate the song, but theirs makes me wanna dance)
Personal Jesus - Marilyn Manson (he gave it the driving bass line it needed)

Terrible:
Behind Blue Eyes - Limp Bizkit
the aforementioned Sheryl Crow abomination
Anything Kid Rock covers/remixes

The thing is, I can never think of covers when I'm trying to. I'll have to add to this later, I know there are more I love and more I despise than this puny list.

Rjeso
09-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Foo Fighters did a cover of a Pink Floyd song that was so bad I can't even remember which song it was :doh:

Have A Cigar? Yeah, I don't like that one, either.

Seppe-sai
09-03-2008, 09:20 AM
I would have to TOTALLY DISAGREE with you! :P

Sympathy's best cover, imo, is the Jane's Addiction version.

I love that version also, but Jane's Addiction's best cover is "Rock and Roll" imo

Adumbros
09-03-2008, 09:34 AM
i'd have to say my favorite cover song (which just recently displaced Nine Inch Nails' rendition of Joy Division's Dead Souls) would be New Found Glory's 'King of Wishful Thinking'. i didn't even like the original, but they bring an attitude and flavor that really makes the song their own.

As for the worst cover ever...anything done by Britney Spears, particularly her butchering of Joan Jett. Also Tori Amos doing Smells Like Teen Spirit til it sounds like she's choking on a cock.

Darkthoughts
09-03-2008, 09:44 AM
I will survive by Cake

That was playing when i gave birth to my first child :lol:

fernandito
09-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Blitzkrieg Bop - Rob Zombie

Whaaaaaaaaaaat?!

I haven't heard this cover before, me thinks I'll d/l when I get home :)

Rjeso
09-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Let me know what you think. People either love it or hate it.

jayson
09-03-2008, 09:55 AM

Want to take a guess which category I fall into? :P

Rjeso
09-03-2008, 10:03 AM

Want to take a guess which category I fall into? :P

:lol: Gee, that's a toughie...

jayson
09-03-2008, 10:08 AM
I don't feel as strongly about it as I do something like Rod Stewart's pathetic attempts to cover Tom Waits ("Downtown Train" and "Tom Traubert's Blues") but I didn't love it.

jayson
09-03-2008, 10:48 AM
Link Wray's cover of the Beatles' "Please Please Me" is outstanding.

You haven't heard this song until you've heard it arranged as a surf-rock instrumental with Link's super-nasty guitar tone. There's a reason so many great guitarists cite Link as a major influence.

Girlystevedave
09-03-2008, 05:13 PM

Kid Rock should not be allowed to:
Cover songs
Make his own songs
Be within ten feet of any musical instrument
Be allowed to walk around without duct tape over his mouth

Seppe-sai
09-03-2008, 09:25 PM

Cover songs
Make his own songs
Breed

fixed :P

Girlystevedave
09-04-2008, 08:21 AM
Very good.thanks :thumbsup:

jayson
09-04-2008, 08:59 AM
I was going to suggest we add Kid Rock shouldn't be allowed to "live" but I suppose that's going a wee bit too far.

Rjeso
09-04-2008, 11:13 AM

Cover songs
Make his own songs
Breed

fixed :P

:highfive: to the both of you.

fernandito
09-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Rob Zombie's cover of Blitzkrieg Bop is atrocious.

jayson
09-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Right on Feev!:thumbsup:

Adumbros
09-04-2008, 01:34 PM

Cover songs
Make his own songs

*amen*

Rjeso
09-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Rob Zombie's cover of Blitzkrieg Bop is atrocious.

Aww. :(

:P The original seems so pansy to me, I like how he drove the beat and made it manly.

fernandito
09-05-2008, 08:41 PM
By "made it more manly" do you mean he belched it? It sounds like he wants to burp but he can't.

Rjeso
09-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Dude, it's Rob Zombie, when does he not sound like that? :lol: But I love him anyway.

Not love love, of course, but you knew that already. :P

jayson
09-06-2008, 11:46 AM
I thought I'd throw out some video of Bill Frisell since I suspect very few of you are familiar with his work. I know SJ knows some thanks to a friend ;) I thought it'd be nice to show you who and what the hell I'm talking about when I talk about some of these covers. When it comes to phrasing and tone, Frisell is a master.

1. A Change Is Gonna Come - written and originally recorded by Sam Cooke

YouTube - Bill Frisell ~ A Change Is Gonna Come

2. Just Like a Woman - written and originally recorded by Bob Dylan

YouTube - Bill Frisell 'Just Like A Woman'

3. What The World Needs Now - written by Hal David/Burt Bacarach and first recorded by Jackie DeShannon

YouTube - Bill Frisell~What The World Needs Now Is Love

I wish there were more video on youtube to share because there are many many more covers he does that I'd love to share, but these will work.

Rjeso
09-08-2008, 11:45 AM
I'll check them out when I get home, since YouTube's blocked at work.

Seymour_Glass
10-18-2008, 07:53 PM
The Shins' cover of "We Will Become Silhouettes" (original by The Postal Service)
Death Cab for Cutie's cover of "This Charming Man"
Elliott Smith's "Don't Fear the Reaper"
Elliott Smith's "Trouble" (original by Cat Stevens)
Ben Fold's cover of "Bitches Ain't Shit" (original by Dr. Dre)

William50
10-18-2008, 08:04 PM
When I really love a song, and have listened to it many times, hearing a good cover can be a great thing. But, it can also be a bad thing. Like Marilyn Manson's cover of Tainted Love. Not that I liked the original very much, but Manson stunk it up bad.:panic:

Ruthful
10-18-2008, 11:25 PM
Best:

YouTube - Anthrax - Got The Time

Worst:

YouTube - worst cover ever! *the final count down*

Second-best:

YouTube - Common People

Heather19
10-19-2008, 06:46 AM
Elliott Smith's "Don't Fear the Reaper"

I didn't know he ever covered this one. I'm going to have to go search for it.

William50
10-19-2008, 08:13 AM
I loved the original Don't Fear the Reaper. I even played it in my 7th grade talent show 2 years ago. I have to go check it out on youtube.:excited:

Ruthful
10-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Another good one, The Dropkick Murphys covering "Career Opportunities.

Heather19
10-19-2008, 11:26 AM
I loved the original Don't Fear the Reaper. I even played it in my 7th grade talent show 2 years ago. I have to go check it out on youtube.:excited:

I ran over to youtube right away to check it out. Not bad, but I still prefer the original.

William50
10-19-2008, 12:59 PM
Yeah, the original is better, but its still pretty good.

Seymour_Glass
10-19-2008, 04:28 PM
I just love the fact that he covered it.

MrQuint
10-19-2008, 06:55 PM

Check out the cover from the Mutton Birds. I really like that one.

Ruthful
10-19-2008, 10:02 PM
YouTube - Japanese fields of athenry

jayson
12-16-2008, 11:30 AM
It was a one-time treat at the Santa Barbara show, but Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood and Thom Yorke played a very nice cover of Neil Young's "Tell Me Why" (one of my fav of Neil's songs).

Here is Tom & Jonny's performance...

YouTube - Radiohead covering Neil Young - Tell Me Why

Here is Neil...

YouTube - Neil Young Tell Me Why

skfancast
07-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Fair Warning: I'm a metalhead.

Woe, Is Me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKn-IzBPSR4) - Tik Tok (Ke$ha cover)

Paint It Black (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKO2RA1UraI) - The Agony Scene

Burning for You (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHqfQ-syuFY) - Dusks Embrace (Blue Oyster Cult cover)

Hell Within (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blDz3XQewb4) - Carry on my wayward son (Kansas cover)

A Day to Remember (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8hhUAYYSVw) - Cable Car (The Fray cover)

A Day to Remember (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3itWzrioElo) - Since U Been Gone (Kelly Clarkson cover)

Ruthful
07-10-2010, 07:23 PM
The best cover of "Paint It Black" I've ever heard is by Vanessa Carlton.

Jack Torrance
07-11-2010, 01:36 AM
I think Careless Whisper covered by Seether is awesome.

Someone mentioned reinterpretation of a song, and that made me think of Weird Al. Although I guess he would be in a parody classification.

Sickrose
07-11-2010, 02:01 AM
Rufus Wainwright covering Hallelujah at Glasto is immense.

candy
07-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Good

FYC; suspicious minds (as an elvis fan, i can say that too:cool:)
YouTube- Fine Young Cannibals -Suspicious Minds

Bad

Scissor sistors; comfortabley numb
YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.

Madonna - American Pie

demorgan
07-12-2010, 03:53 PM
best ----no quarter by tool
worst---echo what someone already said...anything by kid rock

razz
08-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Worst cover ever. No, not for this song. In general. Ever.

YouTube- My Chemical Romance - Desolation Row (Video)

As opposed to the awesomeness that is
YouTube- Grateful Dead - Desolation Row

Brice
08-20-2010, 05:20 AM
I'd never have guessed Razz was a deadhead. :|

Damn hippies! <_<

oh, and... :thumbsup:

DoctorDodge
08-20-2010, 06:44 AM
Best:

YouTube- I Want it That Way

Nothing more awesome/ridiculous than a metal band covering a Backstreet Boys song and making it sound really good!

Worst? That Sugababes/Girls Aloud cover of Walk This Way for Comic Relief last year. Awful. Awful!

turtlex
08-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Um, okay, so there I am, happily listening to Hair Nation on XM ( you know, hair bands from the 80s - Poison, Motley Crue, Skid Row, etc ) ...

... when suddenly, I find myself singing along to a song I am pretty sure I had never heard before... until I realized it was Faster Pussycat covering Carly Simon's You're So Vain!!

Brice
08-21-2010, 03:34 PM
:unsure:

BROWNINGS CHILDE
08-21-2010, 09:12 PM
I think I like the new "Bad Company" by 5 finger death punch. It had to grow on me though.

Jon
08-22-2010, 01:01 PM
I LOVE Aerosmith's cover of Cry Me a River.

It is worth a listen!... and YES...that is Liv Tyler's father.

YouTube- Aerosmith - Cry me a River

LadyHitchhiker
08-28-2010, 04:28 AM
Creep has had some great covers:
Damien Rice
Scala & Kolacny brothers
Sad Kermit
Homeless Mustard

Aw.... what a great song.

But Alanis Morisette and Price and Sting covering Jimi Hendrix songs? Makes me want to barf. Sorry, but Jimi is Jimi.

Heather19
08-28-2010, 08:41 AM
Ray LaMontagne's cover of Crazy :wub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mEfDSP4g_U

Seymour_Glass
08-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Dinosaur Jr - Just Like Heaven

LadyHitchhiker
08-30-2010, 04:51 PM
Damien Rice and Ray LaMontagne performing the Begee's "To Love Somebody"

Heather19
08-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Damien Rice and Ray LaMontagne performing the Begee's "To Love Somebody"

Yes, I love that one! :wub:

LadyHitchhiker
08-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Bad cover: Jessica Simpson's these boots were made for walking

DoctorDodge
08-30-2010, 06:14 PM
Ever since seeing the 2nd trailer for The Social Network, I've really enjoyed listening to this particular choir cover of Creep:

YouTube- scala creep radiohead

I think the thing I love about this is that it's a choir that has used the original lyrics for the song! Brilliant!

Seymour_Glass
08-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Oooooh that one's cool.

mystima
08-30-2010, 07:53 PM
best cover
stone cold crazy by Metallica(original by Queen)

worst cover
stairway to heaven by Dolly Parton(original by Led Zeppelin)

Brice
08-31-2010, 06:09 AM
:wtf: Dolly Parton did Stairway?

Woofer
08-31-2010, 08:14 AM
Sha Na Na (They were Johnny Casino and the Gamblers in Grease.)
- all their 50s covers, particularly any sung by Johnny Contardo. He has one hell of a range. Some samples:

Those Magic Changes

Unchained Melody

Shut up. They were at Woodstock AND their show was on when I was a young teen.

turtlex
08-31-2010, 08:19 AM
Woofer... I can't tell if you're listing them under BEST or WORST. :lol:

( must admit it though, I saw them in concert when I was a kid )

Woofer
08-31-2010, 09:29 AM
I will put them under AWESOME 50s and 60s doowop/bebop cover bands. Bowzer's voice is incredibly deep, and Johnny had one hell of a range. They had the 50s nostalgia bit down to a tee. I'm a 50s freak, so I love them.

Yes, I know all of Grease.

Brice
08-31-2010, 09:41 AM
Me too! :rock:

Woofer
08-31-2010, 09:45 AM
Me too! :rock:

I should've known!

Brice
08-31-2010, 10:14 AM
:D

turtlex
09-01-2010, 02:49 AM
We need to do a Grease TDT sing-a-long !!!

mystima
09-01-2010, 06:27 AM

yes she did...can't find a vid for it but some one made a video with the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJHjQ81JtY0

turtlex
09-01-2010, 06:55 AM
You know we just crashed You Tube. :rofl:

( um, that's just horrible ... and I like both Dolly and Stairway )

Woofer
09-01-2010, 07:06 AM
I would totally participate in a Grease TDT sing-a-long.
We should play this Dolly Parton video to rock fans and film reactions like folks did with 2 Girls 1 Cup. I base this on Mr. Woofer's seizures when the singing started.

ETA: I am the same, Pam. I like both, but together.... *shudder*

Jon
09-04-2010, 11:50 PM
worst cover
stairway to heaven by Dolly Parton(original by Led Zeppelin)

OUCH!!!!!!

Brice
09-05-2010, 04:23 AM

yes she did...can't find a vid for it but some one made a video with the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJHjQ81JtY0

Kill me now. Please? :(

LadyHitchhiker
09-05-2010, 06:21 AM
Man that's horrible... Dolly Parton doing stairway.... I thought it might be okay since she has a pretty voice, but man, that's bad.

turtlex
09-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Two of my current favs :

Pink covering Queen and the Divinals

YouTube - Pink - Bohemian Rhapsody - Live in Australia DVD - Funhouse Tour

YouTube - Pink - I Touch Myself - Live in Australia 2009 DVD - Funhouse Tour

Um... and that Divinals cover is way hot.

Seymour_Glass
09-16-2010, 01:48 PM
Say It Ain't So.

Undone - The Sweater Song.

haunted.lunchbox
10-29-2010, 05:50 AM
This is a really good cover of Wicked Game by Giant Drag...

YouTube - Wicked Game by Giant Drag

DoctorDodge
08-29-2011, 06:35 PM
I can not stop listening to this song! One of the most awesome covers ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt7Tvge9Iv0

Merlin1958
08-29-2011, 10:49 PM
Stones, One of the best covers, ever!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBRuHzdKj-Q

Can't seem to get video live , but it's been done before. The "Shine a Light version was particularly good. Get the DVD!!!

Merlin1958
08-29-2011, 10:57 PM
Better and older version..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH3oVVtw4b4

Go Ronnie!!!

Jon
09-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Better THAN the older version... (Sorry B.S.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4E2nFXaeMA

Jon
10-02-2014, 05:58 PM
Not as good as the original but interesting indeed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kT1t4jVmv7E

Merlin1958
10-02-2014, 06:12 PM
Not a cover, but I'm feeling frisky tonight having been deprived of a decent NFL game this evening!!! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8mXFRolx8k

Merlin1958
10-02-2014, 06:14 PM
And just to stay "On Topic"....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aB5JRS6JOck

Jon
10-02-2014, 07:00 PM
Nobody's Fault!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzmXmuAmH4s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1yygZ1QDi0

Merlin1958
10-02-2014, 07:07 PM
Okay, you are now on a "time out" with that crap!!! LOL LOL LOL

Jon
10-02-2014, 09:39 PM
Hey...I didn't introduce hair bands!!!!

These poor generations...you should be ashamed...Glam metal!!

What's next for you? Dokken???

I used to beat up fuckers like you!

Bahh!!

Get thee behind me, Satan!!

Jon
10-17-2014, 09:01 AM
For those who do not know, Bruce Dickinson is the lead singer of Iron Maiden. He is known for dabbling in other genres of music, fencing and collecting tanks and a degree in Ancient History.

Behind Blue Eyes- Bruce Dickinson (Cover)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw5F4DeXRsU

Jon
10-17-2014, 09:05 AM
Great American accent, Bruce!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B_yaxFJALM

Jon
10-17-2014, 09:12 AM
No video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qglryBZyeFc

Erin
10-20-2014, 05:45 AM
The Counting Crows cover of The Grateful Dead's "Friend of the Devil". Soooo good! One of my favorite covers.

Merlin1958
10-20-2014, 03:49 PM
Hey...I didn't introduce hair bands!!!!

These poor generations...you should be ashamed...Glam metal!!

What's next for you? Dokken???

I used to beat up fuckers like you!

Bahh!!

Get thee behind me, Satan!!

LOL You certainly didn't beat up "fuckers like me", my friend. I'm 6'9" tall and was a tackle on my HS football team. I, however did beat up fuckers like you!! LOL Bon Jovi is a great "Hair Band"!!! And who could forget "Ziggy Stardust"??? LOL

Here's one for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUsWiIN-LfE

Jon
10-21-2014, 12:31 PM
I had no problem using a tire iron.

I was talking to Bill, BTW. Who are you who who who who?

Merlin1958
10-21-2014, 09:26 PM
I had no problem using a tire iron.

I was talking to Bill, BTW. Who are you who who who who?

Why I'm the latest version of the Texas "Bomb" delivery system!! LOL

Girlystevedave
10-22-2014, 05:04 AM
One of the best covers ever. The original version is crap compared to Pearl Jam's version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0B-hJ_gotc

Ben Staad
10-22-2014, 06:01 AM
Good one. :thumbsup:

Girlystevedave
10-22-2014, 06:19 AM
I wasn't familiar with the original version of the song, but sought it out after hearing Pearl Jam's rendition of it. I remember thinking "Why does this song sound so upbeat and happy when the subject matter is so sad?" :lol:

Girlystevedave
10-22-2014, 06:23 AM
Okay, one more. I love how hauntingly beautiful Nirvana's version is.
Cover or not, it's one of my favorite songs ever. :wub:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRFgFBfa1v4

Jon
10-25-2014, 09:00 PM
Originally by The Vaselines.

Girlystevedave
10-29-2014, 06:11 AM
Yeah, and Nirvana's version is better, in my opinion.

Jon
10-29-2014, 10:10 AM
Yeah well it's Nirvana. They (he) did many things better than most.

Girlystevedave
02-12-2015, 06:21 AM
House of the Rising Sun cover. One of my favorite things ever.

http://youtu.be/D9nA1Q_pE_0?t=15s

Jon
02-13-2015, 06:39 PM
House of the Rising Sun cover. One of my favorite things ever.

http://youtu.be/D9nA1Q_pE_0?t=15s

Channeling Coltrane!!

Girlystevedave
02-14-2015, 06:07 AM
I'm obsessed with Brian Fallon's vocals. That man can sing!

chucknbuck
05-13-2015, 05:28 AM
"Gold dust woman" by Hole. The worst cover ever.

Best cover, probably "dancing days" by Stone Temple Pilots, or maybe "ripple" by Janes addiction. I do enjoy "amazing grace" by the throwing muses as well.

I'm stuck in the 90s apparently.

Girlystevedave
09-05-2015, 04:52 AM
You've got Bon Iver doing "Skinny Love":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssdgFoHLwnk

But, then you've got The Gaslight Anthem's cover of the song which completely trumps the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRQu4qtj3sw

I swear, Brian Fallon's voice is the salt shaker that adds flavor to any song.

Cwalker
09-05-2015, 05:59 AM
A couple i like are:
Stone Cold Crazy - Metallica
Little Wing - Stevie Ray Vaughn. This one will bring a tear to the eye everey time....

Jon
11-19-2015, 05:06 AM
Methinks Bruce was a bit drunk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey3aWuyD_Kc

Deaf&Dumb
02-23-2016, 12:23 PM
One of my favorite covers, I love the original, but this one just does it for me.
Ghost of Tom Joad-Rage Against The Machine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqnMrynpq9U

Another one that I love is D7-Nirvana, originally by The Wipers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcXoRlvpLVY

Jon
02-26-2016, 05:28 PM
Nice Cover... really does justice to the original!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4

Girlystevedave
03-02-2016, 06:47 AM
Jon, I was literally coming into this thread to bitch about how awful that song is. :lol:
I really can't stand it. Sorry.

Jon
03-03-2016, 07:23 PM
Jon, I was literally coming into this thread to bitch about how awful that song is. :lol:
I really can't stand it. Sorry.

...and to think I bought you two tickets to the Eagle's reunion tour!

*tears up tix

Girlystevedave
03-03-2016, 08:03 PM
:lol:!

kaufen
03-10-2016, 03:15 AM
Best cover - Ministry - lay lady lay(bob dylan)

Worst - Well there is just too many to mention, but yeah madonnas american pie was fuckin disgraceful and that elvis song rubberneckin, its not really a cover more of a remix but it makes me feel sick when i hear it.

kaufen
04-16-2016, 08:03 AM
Apparently every Beatles/Lennon cover Elliot Smith did is excellent.

Jon
04-24-2016, 08:46 PM
Just give this one 30 seconds.

Rocky Mountain Way - Godsmack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CRWKTguxNQ

Jon
04-24-2016, 08:48 PM
This one in pretty good.

Come Together - Godsmack

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPi-MOxR0l4

Tommy
05-07-2016, 01:16 PM
Some trippy shit man...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvGhLLid2Qc

Tommy
05-07-2016, 01:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFXZNt4oLkE&list=RDcxcAQ3d3nks&index=37

skyofcrack
05-08-2016, 04:47 AM
I love this Beatles song but this cover is arguably better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_aa0btJ0Hw

Girlystevedave
06-30-2016, 05:38 AM
skyofcrack- What cover was it that you posted? The video looks like it's been removed from youtube. :)

Girlystevedave
06-30-2016, 05:40 AM
I could seriously listen to Dion's cover of It's All Over Now, Baby Blue on repeat for hours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Ps4yM_KP0

skyofcrack
06-30-2016, 06:32 AM
skyofcrack- What cover was it that you posted? The video looks like it's been removed from youtube. :)

It's Don't Pass Me By by The Georgia Satellites. I've changed the link so hopefully it works now.

St. Troy
06-30-2016, 06:39 AM
Good ones:

By The Who: Fire, Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting
By Duran Duran: Thank You (detested by many, but loved by me), Ball Of Confusion, Crystal Ship
By Guns N' Roses: Sympathy For The Devil, Jumpin' Jack Flash (I swear I heard a demo of this and it was amazing)
Metallica: Turn The Page
Foo Fighters: Baker Street
James Taylor: Woodstock (basically just performed on the Howard Stern show (I think) and was damn great)
W.A.S.P.: The Real Me (I'm not much of a W.A.S.P. fan, but they nailed this)
Tool: No Quarter (phenomenal)
The Neighborhoods: Southern Girls

Bad:
I suppose there are many many more covers I find bad than what I list here, but I think I block them or something - anyway, I am able to offer these clunkers:
Elton John: Pinball Wizard (with this and the above Who covers, I suppose it depends on who you prefer, and I'm not much of an Elton guy, talented though he is)
Guns N' Roses: Knockin' On Heaven's Door (mainly because I detest this song completely (can't stand the original or any of the covers); I can feel my life slipping away when I hear the opening notes, or any notes, really. I suppose GNR's version is the best one I've heard, which technically means they did a good job in some sense, but then they do so much to prolong the agony that I can't praise them (and I had to sit through this in concert more than once; holy crap was that awful))
Most of Duran Duran's Thank You album: 911 Is A Joke was particularly horrific, but there are others (and I really like Duran Duran).

Jon
06-30-2016, 09:34 PM
Oh I missed the W.A.S.P. cover... thanks.

Tommy
06-30-2016, 11:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDHqywS6un0

Tommy
06-30-2016, 11:36 PM
So I just found out that this exists, sorry if it has been posted already...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4DC1QLxiY4

And an excellent live version as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw_Codf29Pw

Jon
07-02-2016, 08:21 PM
No Tommy...this thread is called BEST cover songs...not BREAST cover songs.

Tommy
07-02-2016, 08:29 PM
No Tommy...this thread is called BEST cover songs...not BREAST cover songs.

:rofl:

WeDealInLead
07-09-2016, 06:35 AM
I'm assuming not many people are familiar with Ringworm. They're one of my favourite bands and they just happen to do a kick-ass cover of Iron Fist, originally by Motorhead. Listen to it here: http://creator-destructor.bandcamp.com/album/split-7

They're also featured briefly in Secret Lives of Pets in a scene with the poodle.

One of the worst covers is Deftones covering Milk by S.O.D. Unfortunately, it's impossible to unlisten songs.

Jon
07-14-2016, 08:23 PM
Yes... familiar with Ringworm... but then we have similar tastes.

Br!an
08-03-2016, 02:59 PM
Chris Cornell
- Nothing Compares To You

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuUDRU9-HRk

Br!an
08-03-2016, 03:03 PM
Chris Cornell
- Billie Jean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2MgwAJrfXo

Jean
08-05-2016, 12:27 AM
Last season of Voice.Kids (Russia), the girl who took the second place in the final

here are excerpts of her performance and the original performer - the great Mireille Mathieu - saying how much she loves it (sorry, her speech comes with a Russian voiceover)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K475sLrr5N4

Jean
08-05-2016, 12:37 AM
I could seriously listen to Dion's cover of It's All Over Now, Baby Blue on repeat for hours.Wow, it's good!!
(doesn't beat the original, of course... not for bears http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_wink-1.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/bear_wink-1.gif.html))

Br!an
08-30-2016, 06:09 AM
Scarlet Begonias
- Sublime

"She wore scarlet begonias tucked into her curls
I knew right away she was not like other girls."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cg2O4SsHQw

Jon
09-01-2016, 08:51 PM
I just love Sublime...I don't know why.

Jon
09-23-2016, 08:03 AM
A good cover of Mastodon's Oblivion. It is acoustic...so no need to clean the mosh pit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1dM-uVu5Y8

Jon
10-14-2016, 08:45 PM
Ths is pretty bad. I am a fan o Yngwie J. Malmsteen but... To cover the king of pop??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ0Jk96l-PM

Br!an
04-01-2017, 10:47 AM
Ruthie Foster - "War Pigs"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsZEvbPCvQY

Merlin1958
04-03-2017, 05:37 PM
That. was. a great cover, Brian!!!!!

I may have posted this before, but its still a rather interesting cover..................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFY_6mSBi9E

Br!an
04-23-2017, 08:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk7RVw3I8eg

Br!an
05-24-2017, 12:11 PM
RIP, Chris Cornell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epXN1eUkFGU

Girlystevedave
05-24-2017, 04:49 PM
Nice, Brian. :thumbsup:

And that cover is so far on the other end of the spectrum from the original. Thanks for sharing.

fernandito
05-30-2017, 10:08 AM
Panic at the Disco's cover of Bohemian Rhapsody is kinda cool, I gotta say.

Iwritecode
05-30-2017, 11:14 AM
First heard this on the State Farm commercial and was pleasantly surprised when I looked it up on Youtube that they had the full version of the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0V4xetvQDQ

Br!an
05-30-2017, 11:58 AM
Panic at the Disco's cover of Bohemian Rhapsody is kinda cool, I gotta say.

Very good. I hadn't heard it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl6oJTB4TpA

Br!an
06-29-2017, 02:11 PM
The song ends at about 3:40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlOzRPWeRRk

Br!an
06-30-2017, 11:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvtJPs8IDgU

Tommy
06-30-2017, 11:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltIg2FeNfpc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydhE7wThDtI

I love this guy!

Tommy
06-30-2017, 11:41 AM
Maybe my favorite moment of the Freaks season, haunting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tCuf3SGHTU

Tommy
06-30-2017, 12:09 PM
A song that has been covered a lot but man this is a good one....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3lF2qEA2cw

Tommy
07-01-2017, 03:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I

Tommy
07-01-2017, 03:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqR4CZj0mJQ

ladysai
07-05-2017, 12:11 PM
So, Ive loved the song Son of a Preacher Man by Dusty Springfield for ages & ages.
I just now heard Aretha Franklin's version for the first time.

Epiphany.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN5w_uRfoqA&sns=tw

Jon
07-10-2017, 06:42 AM
Love the Creep cover!!

St. Troy
07-10-2017, 06:48 AM
Puddles reminds me of The Master (from The Strain), only a bit more human.

Tommy
07-10-2017, 06:56 AM
Love the Creep cover!!

Puddles reminds me of The Master (from The Strain), only a bit more human.

Something for both of ya....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVevvbFNKiY

This song has been an 80s pop/rock tune, a mournful ballad and here it is as a bouncy, fun jazz number. Versatile song!

Jon
07-10-2017, 07:15 AM
Naw...I'll stick with Jules/Andrews...but thanks

Iwritecode
07-18-2017, 12:03 PM
This is the song that played at the mid-season finale of FTWD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Psm4XGVtQAY

Jon
07-29-2017, 06:23 PM
It's done as a lark but I like it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtQUJMBH8uE

Jon
07-29-2017, 06:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB_RvsXu5Y0

Tommy
07-29-2017, 06:50 PM
Bonus Keytar action!!

Tommy
07-29-2017, 06:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y4ptVHmEIs

Skip to about 0:24 if you don't want to hear Roseanne singing.

Tommy
07-29-2017, 06:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItosTQ4PVlI

Tommy
07-29-2017, 07:03 PM
Trump sings Backstreet Boys....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2LACM55JFA

Tommy
07-29-2017, 07:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uaqsuvIew8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maBDUEPla20

Tommy
07-29-2017, 07:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcQyFtHMfbs

Tommy
07-29-2017, 07:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpYS4c9E-TA

RainInSpain
07-31-2017, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE=Tommy;1066646]A song that has been covered a lot but man this is a good one....

<"Creep" cover by Postmodern Jukebox [QUOTE]

Oh I love Postmodern Jukebox! Only stumble onto them accidentally, but it's a great enjoyment every time.

I'm surprised how many rock/metal/whatnot covers of "Rise" are on YouTube. Different quality for sure, so here is just one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPax7RRedhU

RainInSpain
07-31-2017, 09:40 AM
Speaking of Postmodern Jukebox....

A great cover of a horrid (IMHO) brain chewing gum of a song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLnZ1NQm2uk

Tommy
07-31-2017, 09:47 AM
Big improvement!

Tommy
08-01-2017, 12:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0oi1mso_sE

Tommy
08-01-2017, 12:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbuZtbPc_n0

Andi
10-31-2017, 01:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yuZGo6AP5U

Ghost covering Missionary Man, previously sang by the Eurythmics.

Jon
11-23-2017, 05:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=forqmom3YuY

Br!an
11-26-2017, 05:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DutnUbfZoEE

Iwritecode
11-27-2017, 06:30 AM
I spent years looking for the original version of that song in the late 80s/early 90s. All because it was in the movie The Wizard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUImM1-7DBE

Andi
12-02-2017, 05:57 PM
Love this Five Finger Death Punch cover of The Offspring's Gone Away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSwewlSkIXU

Tommy
12-02-2017, 06:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4IKA5lb7r4

Tommy
12-02-2017, 07:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvClJOA5lqA

Br!an
12-03-2017, 04:54 AM
That's a cool version of Reptile.

Tommy
12-03-2017, 05:50 AM
That's a cool version of Reptile.

Ain't it? Those guys did sets together, here's Head Like A Hole from a different date...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUaDMaCo8To

And Warm Leatherette....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5VLN7CAf0I

Br!an
12-27-2017, 02:08 PM
Seether - Careless Whisper George Michaels cover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7imqO-OBVk

zelig
12-27-2017, 02:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4?rel=0

Br!an
12-27-2017, 03:19 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Dg-g7t2l4?rel=0

:thumbsup: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?3857-Best-Worst-Cover-Songs&p=1056242&viewfull=1#post1056242

Girlystevedave
01-23-2018, 10:33 AM
I'm kinda obsessed with this version of This Magic Moment right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKfASw6qoag

Iwritecode
01-23-2018, 11:09 AM
I'm kinda obsessed with this version of This Magic Moment right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKfASw6qoag

I guess I'll add this to my list of songs that I didn't know were covers. This is the version I'm most familiar with. I heard it about 1000 times riding in the backseat of my parents cars when I was a kid.

Girlystevedave
01-23-2018, 06:09 PM
Haha. It’s funny how that happens.
I was only familiar with The Drifters version up until a few days ago. This version is “new” to me right now. :lol:

Jon
01-27-2018, 07:33 PM
Take on Me - Ah-Ha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyZc7u3Uz6I

Jon
01-27-2018, 07:37 PM
Maniac (Flashdance) - Michael Sembello.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP5TJaolsEk

Girlystevedave
02-14-2018, 08:53 AM
I do enjoy this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljBwpCN4RCA