PDA

View Full Version : Um... Just Supposing

turtlex
07-31-2008, 08:08 AM
Just supposing someone ( :innocent: ) took an image and had it made into a bookmark at one of those online places, would that person get in trouble for taking an image they didn't originate.... like if they took something, oh say, from a great MW litho and put it on the bookmark.... they have no plans to sell it or anything.... are we talking jail time? :pirate:

Just wondering.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
07-31-2008, 08:23 AM
The image is copyrighted, so its illegal to copy etc. No one would bother if its just for yourself. If you tried to sell or distribute it, you would be in trouble.

Matt
07-31-2008, 08:24 AM
Its a very fine line to be sure. I do believe it comes down to weather or not you plan to sell the image.

While it is a technical breech of copyright laws, not profiting from it really comes down to advertisement

Daghain
07-31-2008, 08:27 AM
Any time you take a copyrighted image without permission, you are opening yourself up to trouble. It's just dependent on whether the original artist a) finds out about it and b) wants to do anything about it.

turtlex
07-31-2008, 08:30 AM
Oh no... please don't open any mail from Pennsylvania...

Actually, I did make them for myself. It just didn't occur to me what I'd done until I got them home and was like - oh cool.... OH CRAP !

Daghain
07-31-2008, 08:36 AM
:lol:

Chances are, nothing will happen. I mean, I have a ton of copyrighted art in Towerpedia, which I have credited to the artist, but one of them could still tell us not to use it on the site, and we would have to comply.

Of course, eventually I'd like to have all user-generated art in there, so my problem should solve itself. :)

turtlex
07-31-2008, 08:39 AM
Honestly, my intention ( perhaps already done... doh ! ) was to have them made and give them away to DT fans.... It was pretty much after the fact that it occurred to me that my favorite image(s) aren't exactly mine at all.

Hope I didn't offend anyone. And I hope I don't end up in prison.

Matt
07-31-2008, 08:40 AM
:lol:

Chances are, nothing will happen. I mean, I have a ton of copyrighted art in Towerpedia, which I have credited to the artist, but one of them could still tell us not to use it on the site, and we would have to comply.

Of course, eventually I'd like to have all user-generated art in there, so my problem should solve itself. :)

We have permission from the Whelans :rock:

Daghain
07-31-2008, 09:19 AM
Well, that's one down anyway. :lol:

Matt
07-31-2008, 09:34 AM
I think Jae Lee has at least been notified about the comic art as well. :wub:

That's short of consent but its something.

Daghain
07-31-2008, 09:36 AM
Well, at least no one has sent us a nastygram yet. :lol:

turtlex
07-31-2008, 10:05 AM
Great. I'll go to prison alone.

Brice
07-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Great. I'll go to prison alone.

No, you can't do that!!!! :panic:

They don't get internet in prison. :cry:

Nerak
07-31-2008, 11:11 AM
I was wondering where that came from!

Thanks!!!

turtlex
07-31-2008, 01:32 PM
I was wondering where that came from!

Thanks!!!

You're welcome ... :innocent:

Was supposed to be an anonymous surprise, but then I started to think about it and don't want folks to get upset with someone and take aim at someone who didn't do it.

I stand guilty as charged. :blush:

No harm intended. All respects to MW. I own two of his lithos myself.

Should have thought more about it before I did it.

Doh!

The Lady of Shadows
07-31-2008, 04:39 PM
you know this is an interesting question from a legal perspective. because the images are out there on the internet. and while they are still copyrighted, they are out there. for anyone to get and use. it's a bit of a sticky wicket.

i wonder if the issue would come down to using them for profit or not?

and don't worry turtlex, i spent two and a half years in law school and know some excellent copyright attorneys. i've got your back! :lol:

and thanks - really. it's absolutely beautiful! :couple:

turtlex
08-01-2008, 04:14 AM
turtlesong - thanks! might need your services if someone complains!

To All - i used the image with the utmost respect. I love MW. Like I said, I have two lithos myself.

No plan to ever sell. They are gifts and I trust no one I gift them to will sell them either.

Alex - Check your PM !

The Lady of Shadows
08-01-2008, 09:17 PM
i figure our defense will be it wasn't even your idea. it came to you in a dream - it was born of the prim, and the turtle sang to you and you were forced to comply lest the scream of the bear shatter your mind.

how's that sound? :orely:

turtlex
08-02-2008, 04:18 AM
the turtle sang to me !
I love that !!!!!!