PDA

View Full Version : King Short Story- "The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates"

Mr. Rabbit Trick
07-23-2008, 11:19 AM
"The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates" will be published for the first time in the annual anniversary issue of Fantasy & Science Fiction magazine. The October/November issue goes on sale 30 August.

http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/2008/come0808.htm

http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/adinfo.htm

carlosdetweiller
07-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Good info. Thanks!

jhanic
07-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Thanks. I'll be getting that one for sure! (Now, all I have to do is find a store in the area that stocks F&SF Magazine!)

John

Randall Flagg
07-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Great info.
I hope you don't mind, but I changed the title as initially it looked like spam.:nope:
I am going to copy your post and put a thread in the King announcement forum.
Thanks again.

Patrick
07-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the info, Mr. RT.

herbertwest
07-23-2008, 04:34 PM
good!

Ricky
09-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Does anyone know where I can pick up a copy of the newest issue of Fantasy & Science Fiction featuring King's The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates ? I've searched numerous stores for it and can't seem to find a copy anywhere. Would it possibly be a "by-subcription only" type of thing?

I went to Barnes & Noble, Border's, Wal-mart, etc. and can't find it. It's quite an elusive book!

Room 217 Caretaker
09-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Does anyone know where I can pick up a copy of the newest issue of Fantasy & Science Fiction featuring King's The New York Times at Special Bargain Rates ? I've searched numerous stores for it and can't seem to find a copy anywhere. Would it possibly be a "by-subcription only" type of thing?

I went to Barnes & Noble, Border's, Wal-mart, etc. and can't find it. It's quite an elusive book!

If you can't find one try here:

http://www.overlookconnection.com/

Dave is a little higher on price but you will get a very fine copy in protective cover.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

jhanic
09-07-2008, 08:44 AM
It's normally available at Barnes & Noble and Borders, but all the stores in my area are sold out of that particular issue. I don't think Walmart carries it. My only suggestion is to just keep looking. Eventually copies should start showing up on eBay.

John

gsvec
09-07-2008, 08:51 AM
You can buy it directly from the publisher F&SF Site (http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/current.htm). You'll need a PayPal account. And thanks for the reminder - I ordered mine! :D

Ricky
09-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Thanks guys, those are some great suggestions. I'm going to check again at Barnes & Noble today to see if I can find a copy. Is it an actual magazine or like a pb book?

gsvec
09-07-2008, 09:10 AM
It's more like a thin paperback than a normal magazine. Size is around 5 x 7 1/2.

jhanic
09-07-2008, 09:17 AM
You can buy it directly from the publisher F&SF Site (http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/current.htm). You'll need a PayPal account. And thanks for the reminder - I ordered mine! :D

Is it possible to just order the one issue or do you have buy a subscription? I can't find anywhere on the site to get just the current issue.

John

Ricky
09-07-2008, 09:17 AM
A-ha! That's what I thought, gsvec--thanks alot! :)

gsvec
09-07-2008, 09:18 AM

Is it possible to just order the one issue or do you have buy a subscription? I can't find anywhere on the site to get just the current issue.

John

If you go to that page I linked, under the pic there's a little PayPal button . . . :D

jhanic
09-07-2008, 09:21 AM

John

If you go to that page I linked, under the pic there's a little PayPal button . . . :D

Thanks, Gretchen, I missed that!

John

<edit>I just discovered if you click on the "All Issues" button just above the Paypal button, then click on the October/November 2008 issue, the cost is only $6.50 instead of the $7 clicking on the Paypal button charges! Don't ask me why, though.

John

Ari_Racing
09-07-2008, 10:30 AM
I ordered it online through their website.

Ricky
09-07-2008, 11:00 AM
I just got back from Barnes & Noble and they DID have a copy of it. I skimmed through the book and King's story was only a couple pages. I couldn't see paying $7 for it for that little amount of content.

I'll put that $7 towards Just After Sunset in November. :)

Patrick
09-07-2008, 04:41 PM

John

Thanks, Gretchen, I missed that!

John

<edit>I just discovered if you click on the "All Issues" button just above the Paypal button, then click on the October/November 2008 issue, the cost is only $6.50 instead of the $7 clicking on the Paypal button charges! Don't ask me why, though.

John
Thanks, Gretchen, for the heads-up and the link.
John, I agree, the site is confusing. Before I saw your post, I had to click around a while as well to avoid subscriptions and order only the single magazine, got charged $6.50. (Never saw the $7 version or I probably would have stopped there and just paid it.)

For anyone who doesn't have them (which included me): Check out the back issues and scroll down to the Special Editions section. There are two issues featuring Stephen King - one is the special King edition, the other is a back issue that had Everything's Eventual. I ordered them both as I have neither.

Because of that screwy website, I did three separate PayPal transactions - one for each of the magazines.

Patrick
09-07-2008, 04:51 PM
These were a PITA to find again, even though I just ordered them. What a website!

In a nutshell:

See Gretchen's link above for detail info on the most recent/current edition. Then on this page (http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/toc2000-09.htm), scroll down 'til you see the October/November 2008 issue. Click the Paypal button for the $6.50 price that John mentioned.

Scroll down to the bottom of this page (http://www.sfsite.com/fsf/backish.htm) to find the:
1) Oct/Nov 1997 issue which has Everything's Eventual ($8.00)
2) Two versions of the December 1990 Stephen King special issue. I bought the more expensive version ($15.00 vs. $8.00).

gsvec
09-07-2008, 05:25 PM
I've tried 3 times now to order the $15 version of the SK issue (I hadn't seen those, so ty Patrick!). Every single time, the website's locked up!! I was hoping that the 3rd time was the charm, but I guess that's not the case today! Grrr....

gsvec
09-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Okay...so today, the FOURTH time's the charm! :lol:

Ari_Racing
09-07-2008, 07:31 PM
What are the differences between both editions?

Fsmdr
09-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Why do they not have a 'cart' system?. I have to buy everything 3 times with 3 paypal transaction.

Thanks Gretchen and Patrick for posting the links.

Fsmdr
09-07-2008, 07:58 PM

Not sure Ari, I only know the other 2 different editions, the $8.00 one and the one signed by King.

Patrick
09-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Gretchen: You're welcome, but I never would have found any of this if you hadn't provided the first link, so thank you!

FSMDR: Yeah, exactly, that's what I did too - three paypal transactions.

Not sure Ari, I only know the other 2 different editions, the $8.00 one and the one signed by King.
I think the only difference between the $8 and $15 versions is the quality of the cover. If the $8 version cost $15, I'd still buy it, so I just went with the higher quality/priced book.

I've seen it on eBay, but I don't have the signed version.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-07-2008, 11:00 PM
The special edition ($15) has a matt cover and and was signed on the back by King. The ones on sale now are not signed. The regular issue ($8.00) has a glossy cover, and the writing on the front is slightly different.

jhanic
09-08-2008, 03:53 AM
Are you sure the $15 one is signed by King? I thought it just had the better cover.

John

Room 217 Caretaker
09-08-2008, 04:52 AM
Are you sure the $15 one is signed by King? I thought it just had the better cover.

John

It's not signed by King.

In 1990 Fantasy & Science fiction released a Limited edition of 500 signed by King. It sold out of course. Very quickly if I remember right.

The $15 dollar release is the same card board stock cover but NO sig.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Mr. Rabbit Trick
09-08-2008, 07:57 AM

John

It's not signed by King.

In 1990 Fantasy & Science fiction released a Limited edition of 500 signed by King. It sold out of course. Very quickly if I remember right.

The $15 dollar release is the same card board stock cover but NO sig.

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Just as I said above. They printed hundreds more than the 500 King signed.

Patrick
09-19-2008, 09:57 PM
These arrived yesterday. :)

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books/SK-FaSF3mags.jpg

shnnrc01
09-20-2008, 12:36 AM
real nice patrick,and they look in great condition too.

jhanic
09-20-2008, 04:56 AM
Nice, Patrick! I like the fact that they bagged the special SK issue too!

John

Patrick
09-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Thanks! I'm happy with them, they are in great shape. And, John, I agree, it was a nice touch that the SK special edition was bagged.

Jackie
09-20-2008, 03:31 PM
It's not a "book" more of a magazine type thing and i ogt it at barns&noble from the science magazing section. Hes a tip though its small and rectangular about the size of a book. Took me a little while to find it cause i was looking for a normal sized magazine.

lophophoras
09-22-2008, 03:19 AM
Do you guys know where I can find a slipcase for these?

I have seen them for auction on ebay with a clear acrylic case at different times.

I seem to remember it mentioned in another thread that there is a slipcase for sale somewhere.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Patrick
09-22-2008, 04:33 PM
I have an acrylic slipcase. I got mine by sending a message on eBay to a seller of the F&SF magazines that contain The Gunslinger. I told them I already had the magazines but that I was interested in getting a slipcase like the one pictured. So he sold me one.

Cutter
09-24-2008, 12:16 PM
I have an acrylic slipcase. I got mine by sending a message on eBay to a seller of the F&SF magazines that contain The Gunslinger. I told them I already had the magazines but that I was interested in getting a slipcase like the one pictured. So he sold me one.
Anyway you would happen to remember who the ebay seller was?

Patrick
09-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Anyway you would happen to remember who the ebay seller was?
I scoured my old emails and surprised myself by finding the receipt from back in January 2005. I'll pm you the guy's name and email address.