PDA

View Full Version : Cussing/Cursing: What is it really??

theBeamisHome
07-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Jean told me to start this thread here so I am :D

Me and my dad would always have this debate with my mother. I've also had it with my mom's sister and my mom's aunt. They all think I'm going to hell (not literally really) for it, but it has always been my opinion that there are no "bad words". Words cannot be bad because people give them their meaning. My aunt works in a school and is amazed at how the kids there just use profanity with each other. She, and many other of my older female family members are extremely offended by "cuss" words. I tried to explain that a word is only profane if it is used in a profane context.

For example: Many girls that I know refer to their girlfriends as "bitch". It is a term of endearment. Calling a girl a bitch that you don't like or are mad at is using the word in a completely different way so it basically isn't the same word anymore. This is the reason that many words in the dictionary have seperate entries.

An example without a "cuss" word: People say man that's hot! Which isn't to say that whatever they're talking about is holding a lot of heat, but to say that they like it.

I won't put all my cards out now, I'd like to hear (read) everyone's thoughts on the subject though.

Matt
07-22-2008, 11:40 AM
I actually agree completely. Words only have meaning with intent behind them.

Obviously some words are used to specifically hurt people but its not the word, its the hateful intent behind it.

Mark
07-22-2008, 11:42 AM
I believe that cussing words are fine, and that there is no reason to take offence unless offence was intended. My schoolyard chums and I swear at eachother for no apparent reason, but i don't think anything of it, because it's just a word. I'm not hurting anyone by saying one, so i shouldn't be told off when i'm heard saying one.

theBeamisHome
07-22-2008, 11:43 AM
yes, my aunt was trying to delve into our minds as to why it didn't bother us and i explained it like this: I'm more offended by someone fussing and being mean at another person without using any profanity than I am by someone lightly using words that some consider bad. It's all about the intent. None of them seem to believe that though. I even proved my point. She said she'd get back to me but I'm not sure if she ever did.

John_and_Yoko
07-22-2008, 11:45 AM
I kind of like Henry Drummond's whole talk about words and language in "Inherit the Wind."

I especially liked his response to the trial being on the radio:

"Radio? God, this will break down a lot of walls...."

"You're--You're not supposed to say 'God' on the radio!"

"Why the hell not?"

"You're not supposed to say 'hell' either!"

"This is going to be a barren source of amusement...."

Unfound One
07-22-2008, 11:47 AM
I think it has a lot to do with in-groups and out-groups.
Among your friends (your in-group) it's usually okay for females to refer to eachother as bitches, but if I were to call someone I didn't know (the out-group) a bitch, it might not go over so well.
The same goes with "derogatory" terms dealing with sexual orientation, gender issues, and racial and ethnic slurs.
Some people find certain words offensive, others don't. Or it depends on who's saying them, and to who. Or the medium of how they're saying them.
Then you get into areas of word-reclamation and it gets even more complicated because everybody has a different opinion, which they are all entitled to.
Did that make any sense?

theBeamisHome
07-22-2008, 11:54 AM
sure, but explain word-reclamation to me..

Unfound One
07-22-2008, 11:59 AM
Word-reclamation - essentially it's taking a word, analyzing it for what it truely means, and then possibly seeing it in a new light.
I'll use an example I know a lot about.
The word dyke.
Many people see it as an offensive word for a lesbian. But, conversely, there is a movement out there of lesbians who have reclamed the word - they use it themselves and see it as a powerful thing.

theBeamisHome
07-22-2008, 12:03 PM
ah! so there's a term for it! lol.. yes that happens in sub/cultures often i think. but i don't even just mean name calling. like if you just say 'shit!' because you stub your toe, should that be considered a curse? I mean it's just an exclamatory. omg and don't get me started on how people come up with "replacement" words. If my great aunt gets frustrated or something like that she just goes "shucks, shucks, shucks" and i'm like that is the EXACT same thing as saying "shit, shit, shit" because you mean the same thing.

Unfound One
07-22-2008, 12:05 PM
Yeah, I agree with you.
Shit shit shit and shucks shucks shucks are the same thing, same intent.
I also, don't see "cussing" as anything more than an exclamatory.
Who decided that FUCK was a bad word anyways?

theBeamisHome
07-22-2008, 12:10 PM
i actually looked up the origin of the word "fuck" and apparently there's nowhere that it comes directly from but it's like a descendent of another word that was in a poem. it was referring to sex i think, but there is no evidence to suggest that it was a profane word. society makes bad words... another example.. Bloody, here, means with blood basically... in England, I hear, its meaning is something akin to 'fucking'... as an adjective of course

mia/susannah
07-22-2008, 12:35 PM
I agree. WOrds are just words but some of the words can and are used to hurt people

theBeamisHome
07-22-2008, 12:40 PM
yes that is true. i'm also of the opinion that words can be unappropriate for certain places/times/crowds, but that doesn't apply to only cuss words either. like you probably wouldn't want to joke about sex in front of little kids. as a matter of fact me and my grandma were trying to find a cabinet for her laundry room. we pulled up to this warehouse and i walked up first and the guys there were making a joke that had something to do with penises... they saw me and shut up quickly and apologized. they were so embarrassed. i laughed, but if my grandma had been in earshot she would have turned heel and left.. which would have been awful cuz we did actually find a cabinet she wanted... and a computer desk chair.

Darkthoughts
07-22-2008, 01:02 PM
another example.. Bloody, here, means with blood basically... in England, I hear, its meaning is something akin to 'fucking'... as an adjective of course
It's much, much milder than "fucking" - its quite socially acceptable as a fairly strong adjective, its used in children's books and stuff now.

There's been a bit of speculation over its origin. It was originally thought it was derived from the phrase "By Our Lady", but its also thought now it might have come from The War of the Roses, when it would have referred to the nobility (royalty is sometimes referred to as "blue blood/ed" over here).

Wuducynn
07-22-2008, 01:30 PM
I know a woman who gets turned on by the word "cunt" when used in a sexual context. But is offended if she gets called one. On the other hand, for me, not only does no word offend me, I take great amusement at being called certain words that others find offensive.

Darkthoughts
07-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Really, thats something I'd never noticed about you...

...:P

Wuducynn
07-22-2008, 01:34 PM
Really, thats something I'd never noticed about you...

...:P

And this whole time I thought you were an observant sort of woman...

LadyHitchhiker
07-22-2008, 01:35 PM
I think it's more how you say something necessarily than what you're saying a lot of the time...

razz
07-22-2008, 01:39 PM
i usually use profanity more as an emphasis than for meaning
for example:
"one hell of a trip"
"a big fucking gun"

valtr0n
07-22-2008, 01:45 PM
I think a curse word originates from any curse, an example being anything hastily said in anger, spite, or malice towards another person.

There's no such thing as a technical "curse word." It's the intent and feeling behind the word that give it the power.

A word is just a word.

Wuducynn
07-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Perhaps one of the most interesting words in the English language today is the word 'fuck'. Out of all the English words that begin with the letter F, 'fuck' is the only word that is referred to as "the f word". It's the one magical word. Just by its sound can describe pain, pleasure, hate and love. 'Fuck', as most words in the English language, is derived from German. The word fleichen which means to strike. In English, 'fuck' falls into many grammatical categories:

As a transitive verb for instance: "John fucked Shirley".
As an intransitive verb: "Shirley fucks".
It's meaning's not always sexual:

It can be used as an adjective, such as "John's doing all the fucking work".
As part of an adverb: "Shirley talks too fucking much".
As an adverb enhancing an adjective: "Shirley is fucking beautiful".
As a noun: "I don't give a fuck".
As part of a word: "Absofuckinglutely", or: "Infuckingcredible", and, as almost every word in the sentence: "Fuck the fucking fuckers".
As you must realise, there aren't too many words with the versatility of 'fuck'. As in these examples describing situations such as:

Fraud: "I got fucked at the used car lot".
Dismay: "Aww fuck it!"
Trouble: "I guess I'm really fucked now".
Aggression: "Don't fuck with me buddy!"
Difficulty: "I don't understand this fucking question".
Inquiry: "Who the fuck was that?"
Dissatisfaction: "I don't like what the fuck is going on here".
Incompetence: "He's a fuck off".
Dismissal: "Why don't you go outside and play hide and go fuck yourself?"
I'm sure you can think of many more examples. With all of of these multi-purpose applications, how can anyone be offended when you use the word? We say, use this unique flexible word more often in your daily speech. It will identify the quality of your character immediately. Say it loudly and proudly: "FUCK YOU!"

razz
07-22-2008, 01:51 PM
:rofl:
genius

Unfound One
07-22-2008, 01:57 PM
For my part, I love the word fuck.

Wuducynn
07-22-2008, 01:59 PM
It does have a viceral satisfaction to saying it.

Darkthoughts
07-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Me too, I use it profusely when I'm out, to make up for not being able to say it all day infront of the kids :lol:

Matt
07-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Oh man, here we go. I'm a fuck fan too, but I think it loses all effectiveness if used too often.

Darkthoughts
07-22-2008, 02:01 PM
And becomes ineffectual or just crude?

Matt
07-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Just crude imo. I hear people today using it as every other word and I think it wipes away a bit of its luster.

Kind of like a pretty girl who went whore. :lol:

Unfound One
07-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Eh, for me it's not so much about effect as much as it's just a part of my vocabulary.

Matt
07-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Not a bad thing by any stretch, just not for me.

And I'm no prude, believe me. :nana:

Wuducynn
07-22-2008, 02:06 PM
"Fuck it Dude, let's go bowling".

Darkthoughts
07-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Well, I've got to be more selective about where/when I use it. But I have to say, last night I was at the pub with a friend who swears alot, but who's new girlfriend doesn't swear at all and it was pretty weird. He wasn't swearing because of her, and I was so aware of how many times I said "fuck" or "fucking", mind you...the more I drank the more I purposely said it. I hate when people feel they have to change for a partner.

Wuducynn
07-22-2008, 02:09 PM
I guess I REALLY must be the only The Big Lebowski fan on this message board...

Matt
07-22-2008, 02:10 PM
If it were just me and you...then yes, you would be. :o

Wuducynn
07-22-2008, 02:10 PM
mind you...the more I drank the more I purposely said it.

The more you drink the funner you get.

Darkthoughts
07-22-2008, 02:14 PM
I hear that alot :D

(I've never seen The Big Lebowski :unsure: )

Wuducynn
07-22-2008, 02:23 PM
(I've never seen The Big Lebowski :unsure: )

Ohhhhhhhhhh maaaaaaaaan...get thee to a video store!

ManOfWesternesse
07-22-2008, 03:19 PM
I use 'fucking' quite a bit in normal conversation, it's just something I'm used to. I know (eg. in the office) some people think it's over the top..... but fuck 'em I say! :lol:

Sometimes I do try to rein it back a bit though, I know it can be a bit coarse at times.

Wuducynn
07-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Fucking Numenorean's...

theBeamisHome
07-23-2008, 04:27 AM
Ok I'm glad to see this convo is going so well. But are we all in general agreeance that there is at least something about these words that makes them only acceptable in a certain setting? Because Lisa you said that you don't use the word fuck in front of your children. If it isn't a bad word (since there are no such things) then why do we not want children to talk that way?

Jean
07-23-2008, 04:36 AM
I personally would be very sad if we really "agreed" there were no bad words. This way we would immediately kill a whole linguistical realm, a great part of verbal (and any other) culture: euphemisms, risque usage, dubious puns, ambiguous jokes, art of subtle hinting and balancing on the verge of obscenity, possibility to crush opponent underfoot, colorfulness of "strong" language - I could go on, because the ways of using "bad" words as "bad" are inexaustible. And what do we gain? One-two-three more common, bland words, some more socially acceptable synonyms for "penis", "vagina" and "intercourse"? Come on people, the loss is too heavy for such imperceptible gain.

ManOfWesternesse
07-23-2008, 04:45 AM
Fucking Numenorean's...
:lol:
...just because we came in and took over from all those bad dark-type-humans, and wanted to rule the place!

Jean - great post!

Brice
07-23-2008, 04:51 AM
I personally would be very sad if we really "agreed" there were no bad words. This way we would immediately kill a whole linguistical realm, a great part of verbal (and any other) culture: euphemisms, risque usage, dubious puns, ambiguous jokes, art of subtle hinting and balancing on the verge of obscenity, possibility to crush opponent underfoot, colorfulness of "strong" language - I could go on, because the ways of using "bad" words as "bad" are inexaustible. And what do we gain? One-two-three more common, bland words, some more socially acceptable synonyms for "penis", "vagina" and "intercourse"? Come on people, the loss is too heavy for such imperceptible gain.

Sorry, Jean, but I for one DO believe there are no bad words. In my case I lose nothing by this though because very few people agree with me, so the effects of the words are the same. :D

Brice
07-23-2008, 04:57 AM
Ok I'm glad to see this convo is going so well. But are we all in general agreeance that there is at least something about these words that makes them only acceptable in a certain setting? Because Lisa you said that you don't use the word fuck in front of your children. If it isn't a bad word (since there are no such things) then why do we not want children to talk that way?

I for the most part don't care if children use "bad words". The main reason they use them anyhow is because they are taught that they are bad. My only concern is that they use them well, as they should learn how to use ANY words well. Now, I wouldn't actively teach them those words because they also must learn proper context and social acceptability. Sadly, at some point they're probably going to have to conform to someone else's idea of what is acceptable language, but I am indifferent to a properly used curse word.

theBeamisHome
07-23-2008, 04:58 AM
Jean, I think I agree with you a little, but I believe that words are more inappropriate for certain places/audiences, even if not meant maliciously than they are actually bad. Because if the intent is what makes a word hurtful then there isn't anything wrong with the word itself. But I don't cuss around my family, maybe my cousins, but definitely not parents, aunts, ect. Firstly, because they would be offended even if my intent was no to. Secondly because they're not the audience for that kind of language. There is a time and place for everything I think.

theBeamisHome
07-23-2008, 05:02 AM
My only concern is that they use them well, as they should learn how to use ANY words well[/B]. Now, I wouldn't actively teach them those words because they also must learn proper context and social acceptability. Sadly, at some point they're probably going to have to conform to someone else's idea of what is acceptable language, but I am indifferent to a properly used curse word.

I actually kind of like this, but teaching social acceptability would probably be a lil difficult i think... especially for younger children. But i definitely agree that children only use the words because they are taught that they are bad.

Brice
07-23-2008, 05:09 AM
My only concern is that they use them well, as they should learn how to use ANY words well[/B]. Now, I wouldn't actively teach them those words because they also must learn proper context and social acceptability. Sadly, at some point they're probably going to have to conform to someone else's idea of what is acceptable language, but I am indifferent to a properly used curse word.

I actually kind of like this, but teaching social acceptability would probably be a lil difficult i think... especially for younger children. But i definitely agree that children only use the words because they are taught that they are bad.

As with anything else children learn, they each have their own maturity level and can learn at their own pace. They do anyway. I just think actively teaching them that words are bad encourages them to use them. True, they may not use them around you, but as with you not cursing in front of your parents they can begin to learn things like respect and consideration quite young.

Edit: I have no kids though, so I can't say I'd never change my mind, but generally I think words are innocuous.

jayson
07-23-2008, 05:14 AM
"Fuck it Dude, let's go bowling".

I guess I REALLY must be the only The Big Lebowski fan on this message board...

Nope, I just hadn't read this thread yet. Great film.

As far as the topic at hand goes, I pretty much agree with what Brice has said so far.

alinda
07-23-2008, 05:53 AM
And as is typical, I agree with both sides.
Suffice it to say I believe there is a time
and a place for all launguage. (with the
possible exception of cruelity as sport)

Darkthoughts
07-23-2008, 10:56 AM
As with anything else children learn, they each have their own maturity level and can learn at their own pace. They do anyway. I just think actively teaching them that words are bad encourages them to use them. True, they may not use them around you, but as with you not cursing in front of your parents they can begin to learn things like respect and consideration quite young.

I think it also depends on the way you use language around your children.

I have a friend who is a mother of 5 children who swears constantly and regardless of the situation. All her kids are really great, but when they get cross or frustrated they swear like troopers even at school and are regularly sent to the principles office because of it.

I swear when I'm at the pub/with friends/at work and if I have an accident in the house I'll often exclaim "Shit!", but I know I don't swear often at home because if the kids hear me they'll go "Muuuuum!!!" :lol:

I know they also understand the context of swearing and when not to use it - for example, my 3 year old was watching tv when his favourite cartoon Ben 10 came on. He has a Ben 10 watch, which he jumped up and started frantically searching for. He looked EVERYWHERE and when he eventually found it, he put it on, hopped on the sofa and...the cartoon ended! He thumped the sofa and just exclaimed "Shit!" Then he turned to me and said, "I wouldn't say that at Grandma's." :lol:

theBeamisHome
07-23-2008, 11:12 AM
:rofl: that's great

Jean
07-23-2008, 11:18 AM
yes. The bear likes that, too - please note that it proves my point. The comical effect here entirely depends on our (for example, Grandma's) considering that word "bad".

Darkthoughts
07-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Yes :D

I'm not of the opinion that there isn't bad language...I think perhaps the term bad is what people maybe objecting to, rather than the concept that there is a time and place for certain words or turns of phrase.

Staying on the topic of children and swearing, I think that whether you mind your children swearing or not - or whether or not you care about minding your language infront of them, only really becomes an issue if you fail to also communicate the appropriateness of such language.

Because even as an adult, if you swear constantly and also out of context, I think people generally assume you are uncouth or even lacking in intelligence - which is a way in which I don't think anyone would want to be judged.
I think its possible to be non conformist in many ways, but with something like profanity, its hard to do it in a way that maintains your dignity...thats not quite the word I want, but y'know what I mean?

theBeamisHome
07-23-2008, 11:36 AM
yes! i agree with you completely Lisa. profanity does make you appear ignorant and i mostly don't curse because of the perception that it gives others.... and because i have a small, cute voice and i speak very proper usually so expletives sound completely ridiculous coming out of my mouth. most people laugh when i curse... which is usually the reason i use the words :laugh:

Darkthoughts
07-23-2008, 11:40 AM
:lol: I love it more when really cute people swear, it has more shock value!

theBeamisHome
07-23-2008, 11:46 AM
yeah, i know if i swear around my dad he starts rolling! he thinks its the funniest thing in the world. Nigel goes "awww.." and laughs. so i just don't really do it unless i'm trying to evoke laughter.. i rarely swear if i'm genuinely mad.

Jean
07-23-2008, 11:53 AM
profanity does make you appear ignorant
obviously. Anything that makes your language poorer does. If instead of saying, "she is a very/outstandingly/spectacularly/strikingly/extraordinarily beautiful woman" one always says, "she is fucking pretty," and uses the same word and its derivatives at every opportunity, it means he is either unable or unwilling to make free verbal choice.

Daghain
07-23-2008, 05:10 PM
Yes :D

I'm not of the opinion that there isn't bad language...I think perhaps the term bad is what people maybe objecting to, rather than the concept that there is a time and place for certain words or turns of phrase.

Staying on the topic of children and swearing, I think that whether you mind your children swearing or not - or whether or not you care about minding your language infront of them, only really becomes an issue if you fail to also communicate the appropriateness of such language.

Because even as an adult, if you swear constantly and also out of context, I think people generally assume you are uncouth or even lacking in intelligence - which is a way in which I don't think anyone would want to be judged.
I think its possible to be non conformist in many ways, but with something like profanity, its hard to do it in a way that maintains your dignity...thats not quite the word I want, but y'know what I mean?

Exactly. Also, I think you have to really consider context when "bad" words are used.

For example, I really, REALLY hate it when a man calls a woman "my bitch" when speaking about her. It implies she is his property and makes me want to beat the living shit out of him. Literally. The fact that any woman on the planet would put up with this behavior amazes me to no end. Some of us on this site have said it jokingly to each other, and I have no problem with that, but I also think it's real easy to tell the difference in context between the two.

Odetta
07-23-2008, 05:21 PM
I'd love to be able to swear in foreign languages!

John_and_Yoko
07-23-2008, 05:24 PM

And that is precisely why we have swear words.

Daghain
07-23-2008, 07:21 PM
I can swear in German. :)

John_and_Yoko
07-23-2008, 07:27 PM

And that is precisely why we have swear words.

If some words weren't considered taboo, no one would want to say them.

LadyHitchhiker
07-24-2008, 03:10 AM
Fuck is my favorite swear word, although not very people I know around here know that ;)

The Lady of Shadows
07-25-2008, 12:20 AM
Fuck is my favorite swear word, although not very people I know around here know that ;)

oh mine as well. but no one here knows that because i so very rarely use it in public. :innocent:

LadyHitchhiker
07-25-2008, 08:35 AM
We're such sweet angels...

LadyHitchhiker
07-25-2008, 08:36 AM
One of the funniest swears I ever heard before was "Jesus Joojoo Christ Jumping Around in a G-String!"

I laughed out loud because it was so bizarre!

theBeamisHome
07-25-2008, 10:32 AM

which reminds me.... what's Jesus' middle name that start with an.... H, is it?

Unfound One
07-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Hoobastank.

:wtf:

theBeamisHome
07-25-2008, 12:12 PM

jayson
07-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Hoobastank.

I was gonna say Homer, but that's much funnier.

Odetta
07-28-2008, 07:07 PM
fucktard

The Lady of Shadows
07-28-2008, 09:06 PM

odetta you so rock

B Rag
07-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Aww, shucks, most of what I think about this topic has already been said... so there's not much left for me to say. :(

I don't believe there are any words that shouldn't be said. Encouraging people to believe that words are bad just leads to people being unhappy over nothing.

There are, however, words that I just don't like. None of them are cuss words, though.

theBeamisHome
07-29-2008, 10:13 AM
cunt is a word that makes my skin crawl for some reason... even if its used in a physiological type meaning... it's just so vulgar

Darkthoughts
07-29-2008, 10:15 AM
I actually like that word. It makes some of my other female friends physically cringe, but I'm not deterred :lol:

theBeamisHome
07-29-2008, 10:19 AM
the first time i was even introduced to the word was when i read Christine when i was like 12 or so... and that was the first time i saw the word booze too, which i thought was funny.

Darkthoughts
07-29-2008, 10:21 AM
:lol: I think of booze as a really British word.

theBeamisHome
07-29-2008, 10:22 AM
crazy thing was after i read it i heard my grandma use it.. which got me to thinking had i actually heard the word before or what? weird. but its a cool word to say... although its not a cuss word at all.

theBeamisHome
07-29-2008, 10:23 AM
as a matter of fact... i'm not sure i've ever actually said it myself now that i think about it...

Darkthoughts
07-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Say it loud!!!!!!!! :lol:

People here say booze all the time instead of alcohol.

theBeamisHome
07-29-2008, 10:27 AM

i just said it and you would not believe how long it took me to actually get it out of my mouth before the giggle kept coming back.. pitiful...

Unfound One
07-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Lisa - we say booze alllll the time amongst my college friends here.
And boozin'. Both good words. :)

Daghain
07-29-2008, 11:31 AM
The "c" word doesn't bother me as much as it used to, but it has to be reserved for a REALLY good reason. :D

Erin
07-29-2008, 11:33 AM
I have a good friend who always says she's going to get boozy instead of drunk. :lol: It cracks me up.

jayson
07-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Booze is a better word. It rhymes with a lot more things than alcohol does. :)

Erin
07-29-2008, 11:36 AM
"Alcohol" just sounds to proper and after-school special-y.

Matt
07-29-2008, 11:40 AM
We're always talking about stopping for "booze". I love it.

Homer uses "boozehound" which is cool too.

The Lady of Shadows
07-29-2008, 04:19 PM
my husband's absolute worst swear ever was reserved for only one person. he called her a cwt (he wouldn't even say it - he really did use the letters). i'm sure you can figure it out. :evil:

Darkthoughts
07-30-2008, 01:26 AM
We also call the pub "the boozer" - which can also be used as a term for someone who drinks alot.

Brice
07-30-2008, 03:55 AM
my husband's absolute worst swear ever was reserved for only one person. he called her a cwt (he wouldn't even say it - he really did use the letters). i'm sure you can figure it out. :evil:

Apparently, I'm slow..because I can't.

The Lady of Shadows
07-30-2008, 07:07 AM

cunt with teeth

Matt
07-30-2008, 07:25 AM
Eeek!!

There's a movie out about that. :unsure:

Odetta
07-30-2008, 07:25 AM
nice...

I thought it was going to include "white trash"... I was way off

Odetta
07-30-2008, 07:27 AM
Eeek!!

There's a movie out about that. :unsure:

and.... PRESTO!
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1930

jayson
07-30-2008, 07:32 AM

cunt with teeth

Well, I got the C part right. Is there partial credit?

The Lady of Shadows
07-30-2008, 08:27 AM
for you? of course. :)

jayson
07-30-2008, 08:33 AM
:)

You're so fuckin' cool turtlesong!

The Lady of Shadows
07-30-2008, 09:35 AM
:wub:

oh, sorry, forgot what thread i was in - - -

fucking :wub:

Jon
08-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Profane has a few definitions. Those you may not know;

"Not admitted into a body of secret knowledge or ritual; uninitiated."

"Nonreligious in subject matter, form, or use; secular"

"common"

When I am really pissed, truly pissed, I usually call the person or inanimate object "Rat Dick Mother Fucker." I think I picked this up from sai King.

Jean
08-03-2008, 10:21 PM
the first two are the only widely used in Russian

stone, rose, unfound door
08-04-2008, 10:12 PM
I think the thing that's been bothering me the most with bad words is the name the English language has given them: of course you're going to wonder if they're bad as they're called "bad words". What does that mean, apart from the fact that at some remote point in the development of the language, it was really bad to use them. We've been calling them "gros mots" (big words) for centuries, and no one's wondered if they were bad since you could get punched for calling someone "connard". (this word is one of the most common in the French language and does not have the same meaning as "bastard", so I'd rather leave it untranslated and recommend you not to use it :) )

Brice
08-04-2008, 11:36 PM
I think the thing that's been bothering me the most with bad words is the name the English language has given them: of course you're going to wonder if they're bad as they're called "bad words". What does that mean, apart from the fact that at some remote point in the development of the language, it was really bad to use them. We've been calling them "gros mots" (big words) for centuries, and no one's wondered if they were bad since you could get punched for calling someone "connard". (this word is one of the most common in the French language and does not have the same meaning as "bastard", so I'd rather leave it untranslated and recommend you not to use it :) )

But a web search yields too many different definitions. We need accuracy for when the need arises to curse in French. :cry:

LadyHitchhiker
08-14-2008, 02:52 PM
What bothers me is this:

Why is the word "cunt" so horribly horrendously offensive?

It was such an offensive word that I didn't even hear the word until I was 18.

What and why is it so bad?

Woofer
08-15-2008, 04:19 AM
The other night I heard a curse I'm going to use whenever I can:

Flesh-eyed, bowl-headed, 'morphrodite-looking fuckturd.

It turned out to be a combination of creative curses that some drunk southerner was calling a cop, but I like the combo. Flesh-eyed indeed.

jayson
08-15-2008, 05:06 AM
The other night I heard a curse I'm going to use whenever I can:

Flesh-eyed, bowl-headed, 'morphrodite-looking fuckturd.

It turned out to be a combination of creative curses that some drunk southerner was calling a cop, but I like the combo. Flesh-eyed indeed.

Is 'morphrodite southern for hermaphrodite?

Woofer
08-15-2008, 05:17 AM
I believe that's what he was trying to convey. Personally, I have no problems with hermorphradites, but I like the sound. I think I may substitute something else for that word: gator-looking... hrm, how about 'phibian looking. I like 'phibian looking.

Flesh-eyed, bowl-headed, 'phibian-looking fuckturd. Yeah, I like that.

jayson
08-15-2008, 05:19 AM
I'm just glad I translated that correctly. I suppose I've been living down here in FL long enough that I can convert "drunken southerner" to actual English without much problem :)

Rjeso
08-15-2008, 09:47 AM
I actually agree completely. Words only have meaning with intent behind them.

Obviously some words are used to specifically hurt people but its not the word, its the hateful intent behind it.

Exactly. I once had a friend who refused to use "bad" words, so instead he replaced them. "Ace" for "ass," and the like. We tried to convince him that if the meaning behind "ace" was the same as "ass", he might as well just say "ass", but he wouldn't listen.

Last I heard, he curses, drinks, and is a "regular guy" now, LOL.

theBeamisHome
08-15-2008, 10:03 AM
'nother question: is there a difference between cussing and cursing?
for example, it my opinion that cursing someone is say, damning them to hell....
fuck is just a cussword that has many meanings that CK so graciously left for us.

Daghain
08-15-2008, 10:10 AM
That's how I was always taught it was. Cursing involved "putting a curse" on someone, such as damning them to hell, and cussing was using "bad" words.

Darkthoughts
08-16-2008, 01:32 AM
We don't use "cussing" or "cursing" much over here - mostly people say "swearing" or "effing and blinding" :D

LadyHitchhiker
08-16-2008, 03:06 AM
Yeah, we call it swearing up here usually too.

Darkthoughts
08-16-2008, 06:18 AM
Do people also say "swearing like a trooper" about someone who swears alot, where you are?

Jean
08-16-2008, 06:24 AM
here they say "like a cobbler"; also, like извозчик (carter? cabman?)

jayson
08-16-2008, 11:38 AM
apparently here the professions associated with swearing are trucker and sailor

Woofer
08-16-2008, 01:02 PM
What bothers me is this:

Why is the word "cunt" so horribly horrendously offensive?

It was such an offensive word that I didn't even hear the word until I was 18.

What and why is it so bad?

Here's some info on the possible origins from dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cunt).

Part of it may also be the sound + meaning = worse than usual curse. Most people I know use it to designate the worst of the worst.

I've taken to responding in kind to anyone - male or female - who calls me a cunt. In fact, the last male who called me that tried to be clever when I called him one in kind; he stated "My pussy's better than yours!" to which I replied that having one and being one were two totally different concepts, but nice try.

Jean
08-16-2008, 08:48 PM
apparently here the professions associated with swearing are trucker and sailor
we say "like a sailor", too

The Lady of Shadows
08-17-2008, 11:11 AM
well here's what i don't understand. on the radio they bleep out certain cuss words but leave others. now i know about the fcc charter and how radio stations and tv stations get fined for things. but seriously. they beep words out of classic rock songs from artists like the eagles, the who, jimi, and i can't even tell you who all but they'll play trash on the pop rock stations like that "i'm a bitch" song.

can someone explain that to me?

jayson
08-17-2008, 11:15 AM
well here's what i don't understand. on the radio they bleep out certain cuss words but leave others. now i know about the fcc charter and how radio stations and tv stations get fined for things. but seriously. they beep words out of classic rock songs from artists like the eagles, the who, jimi, and i can't even tell you who all but they'll play trash on the pop rock stations like that "i'm a bitch" song.

they are extremely inconsistent with it because i have yet to hear a radio station that plays The Who's "Who Are You?" bleep out the "who the fuck are you part" but I've heard other songs with the word fuck bleeped out.

theBeamisHome
08-18-2008, 10:39 AM

omg t/s that has bothered me so much too!

there's this song in which the artist says "i'm gonna tear that ass up", but they would blank out "tear" and let him say "ass"... i'm like WTF???

Jean
08-18-2008, 10:56 AM
they broadcast songs with beeps??? how about copyright? isn't it breach of the integrity of a work of art?

jayson
08-18-2008, 10:59 AM
they broadcast songs with beeps??? ... isn't it breach of the integrity of a work of art?

you'd think so, but this America where heaven forbid someone should use a naughty word on the radio/television.

Jean
08-18-2008, 11:04 AM
I would suggest spreading the practice to movies, then. Most gangster movies would consist of beeps entirely

I wonder if they put fig leaves on paintings in museums, too?

kirin
08-18-2008, 11:07 AM
I would suggest spreading the practice to movies, then. Most gangster movies would consist of beeps entirely

allthough somewhat less aggressive in some senses they seem to be headed for a nazi like level of censorship

theBeamisHome
08-18-2008, 11:07 AM
America gets on my nerves with the whole fear of.... everything thing.... like nudity... why do American kids think that the body is something u aren't supposed to see and.... hmm this calls for another thread...

jayson
08-18-2008, 11:15 AM

Well, when John Ashcroft was Attorney General (in the first term of Bush's presidency) he had the statue of Lady Justice draped in cloth so you couldn't see her breasts when he stood in front of her to give news conferences. Close enough?

theBeamisHome
08-18-2008, 11:17 AM
omg was he gonna be that distracted by a statues breasts??? maybe we're just undersexed... :orely:

jayson
08-18-2008, 11:19 AM
don't you know that an exposed breast equals pornography? :lol:

theBeamisHome
08-18-2008, 11:21 AM
ok i'm officially starting a nudity thread.

Daghain
08-18-2008, 12:08 PM
You know, the more politically correct this world gets, the more I hate it.

Get over yourselves, people. No one ever died from hearing the word "fuck". :lol:

08-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Do people also say "swearing like a trooper" about someone who swears alot, where you are?

We say that someone who swears a lot swears like a carter here "comme un charretier". Don't ask me why though because I don't have a clue why :)

08-18-2008, 03:56 PM

But a web search yields too many different definitions. We need accuracy for when the need arises to curse in French. :cry:

My only advice would be: check some other French swear words and you'll see that they all have about ten different meanings so please do not use them in any case unless I've told you you could, ok? :) Anyway, I love the way foreigners say the word "connard": it sounds almost sweet!

The Lady of Shadows
08-18-2008, 07:25 PM
You know, the more politically correct this world gets, the more I hate it.

Get over yourselves, people. No one ever died from hearing the word "fuck". :lol:

well if they did my little rant a couple of months ago would have killed off half the fucking planet. i'm sure it was heard everywhere! :rofl:

Woofer
08-19-2008, 03:41 AM

Well, when John Ashcroft was Attorney General (in the first term of Bush's presidency) he had the statue of Lady Justice draped in cloth so you couldn't see her breasts when he stood in front of her to give news conferences. Close enough?

That's because he's a flesh-eyed, bowl-headed, 'phibian-looking fuckturd.

And seriously repressed.

Brice
08-19-2008, 04:00 AM

My only advice would be: check some other French swear words and you'll see that they all have about ten different meanings so please do not use them in any case unless I've told you you could, ok? :) Anyway, I love the way foreigners say the word "connard": it sounds almost sweet!

...soooooo, can I? :lol:

:orely: Who knows though when you'll find yourself in a situation where someone from a foreign country needs cursing...one wouldn't want to be ill equipped. :lol:

Darkthoughts
08-19-2008, 08:52 AM

This just reminded me of my totally uncensored 3 year old, Max. He had a blast looking at the paintings in the National Gallery when we went to London. Every other painting had him joyously shouting "Bums!" "Boobies!" "Willies!" :lol:

jayson
08-19-2008, 09:14 AM
:lol:

Matt
08-19-2008, 09:33 AM

I'd force everyone in there to get naked...levels the playing field. :lol:

jayson
08-19-2008, 09:36 AM
I'd prefer you to Ashcroft as A.G. any day Matt. The guy lost an election to a corpse.

John_and_Yoko
08-19-2008, 09:39 AM
I'd force everyone in there to get naked...levels the playing field. :lol:

There may not be much difference
Between Chairman Mao and Richard Nixon
If we strip them naked.

--Yoko Ono, "We're All Water"

Matt
08-19-2008, 09:47 AM
Damn right, I always considered that woman a hack (no offense)...but she got it straight there.

Jean
08-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Damn right, I always considered that woman a hack (no offense)...but she got it straight there.
can someone please explain to me the meaning of what she said, then? There's no big difference between, say, Stalin and Churchill, or Hitler and John Kennedy, if we strip them naked, but I don't think anybody in their right mind would deny that the essential difference between them is great anyway? So, what is the point?

Matt
08-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Sure Jean, but we can take it to the other thread if you want. :couple:

jayson
08-19-2008, 09:55 AM
There's a "Lyrics of Yoko Ono" thread? :evil:

John_and_Yoko
08-19-2008, 09:56 AM
can someone please explain to me the meaning of what she said, then? There's no big difference between, say, Stalin and Churchill, or Hitler and John Kennedy, if we strip them naked, but I don't think anybody in their right mind would deny that the essential difference between them is great anyway? So, what is the point?

Point is we're all human, and that any differences between us are not intrinsic, and therefore insignificant. We're all made of the same basic ingredients.

Stalin could have been a Churchill, and vice versa, and Hitler could have been a Kennedy, and vice versa. "There but for the grace of God go I." It was circumstances and personal choices that led to them becoming different, but it wasn't set in stone from birth.

Does that make sense?

Jean
08-19-2008, 09:57 AM
There's a "Lyrics of Yoko Ono" thread? :evil:
oh Lord, I dearly hope not...

John_and_Yoko: I am afraid any sense her quotation makes is so old that it isn't really worth quoting under her name as if it was something she said. The thought of everyone being born equal, although highly arguable, has been touched upon before her; the only thing she added was using fashionable political context. Exploiting current politics this way always seemed to me a sign of a rather bad taste. In other word, it's obvious that we're all human, and dragging in Nixon and Mao is just hunting for some cheap popularity.

Moreover, I do not agree that the difference that are not intrinsic are therefore insignificant. What circumstances and personal choices made of Roosevelt and Stalin, respectively, seems to me more important within the context of human history than the fact that they had two arms and two legs each.

Daghain
08-19-2008, 10:02 AM
I was thinking the same thing. :lol:

08-19-2008, 02:25 PM

:orely: Who knows though when you'll find yourself in a situation where someone from a foreign country needs cursing...one wouldn't want to be ill equipped. :lol:

I said you shouldn't and that means you can't. If you're coming to meet me in Paris and we meet some rude bastards, then I'll have to reconsider :)
You're quite right and I wouldn't like to go to some foreign country without knowing basic swear words (after all, you never know what people may be saying about you!) and apparently, a lot of people are like us, which is the reason why there are so many free dictionaries on the internet which give the meaning of swear words too.

Brice
08-20-2008, 08:34 AM

I said you shouldn't and that means you can't. If you're coming to meet me in Paris and we meet some rude bastards, then I'll have to reconsider :)
You're quite right and I wouldn't like to go to some foreign country without knowing basic swear words (after all, you never know what people may be saying about you!) and apparently, a lot of people are like us, which is the reason why there are so many free dictionaries on the internet which give the meaning of swear words too.

:cry: Awwwwww!

:lol: I was only kidding around (mostly) anyhow. :)

And absolutely if you go to another country you need to know some. Have you learned Hungarian ones yet? :lol:

08-20-2008, 01:26 PM

And absolutely if you go to another country you need to know some. Have you learned Hungarian ones yet? :lol:

I haven't learnt any yet. Actually, the only Hungarian word I know is utca, which means street (been reading my map properly :) ) so I guess I'll have to ask Letti and Susan when I see them! (then I'll tell them to you if you feel like it)

Brice
08-21-2008, 08:37 AM

I haven't learnt any yet. Actually, the only Hungarian word I know is utca, which means street (been reading my map properly :) ) so I guess I'll have to ask Letti and Susan when I see them! (then I'll tell them to you if you feel like it)

Sure! :)

*envies you meeting Letti and Susan*
You must hug and kiss them for me., please.

alinda
08-21-2008, 08:43 AM
"We're the psycho-semantic police. You can't even see us
how in the fuck can you do anything about it? We're pure intelligence
you're not. You're biological product of a cosmological universe.
You're molecular matter. I constructed you - fuck you.
I made you up you didn't make me up. You got it backwards.
You know who you are? You're fucking semantic blockage.
That's what made you up."

*dies laughing, where is this from?*

jayson
08-21-2008, 08:48 AM
"We're the psycho-semantic police. You can't even see us
how in the fuck can you do anything about it? We're pure intelligence
you're not. You're biological product of a cosmological universe.
You're molecular matter. I constructed you - fuck you.
I made you up you didn't make me up. You got it backwards.
You know who you are? You're fucking semantic blockage.
That's what made you up."

*dies laughing, where is this from?*

A song by Sublime called Raleigh Soliloquy Pt 1

alinda
08-21-2008, 08:50 AM
I say thank ya muchly, My friend is trying to bring me up to speed on modern music, I'm afraid it may be hopeless, I love my oldies too much! :rofl:

LadyHitchhiker
08-23-2008, 03:46 AM
What I don't get is why guys when they're swearing will say stuff like "suck my dick" to people they don't like. I don't get that. What's up with that???

Woofer
08-23-2008, 04:02 AM
Perhaps because they are such godawful individuals that there could be no worse fate for anyone than to have to suck their dicks.

Brice
08-23-2008, 04:31 AM
What I don't get is why guys when they're swearing will say stuff like "suck my dick" to people they don't like. I don't get that. What's up with that???

Because they really like their dicks sucked and don't much care who does it. :lol:

Woofer
08-24-2008, 04:33 PM
Perhaps because they are such godawful individuals that there could be no worse fate for anyone than to have to suck their dicks.

Because they really like their dicks sucked and don't much care who does it. :lol:

Hrumph. My answer was more of a burn.

theBeamisHome
08-25-2008, 05:54 AM
lol.... i always wondered that too... cuz i thought having their dick sucked was something enjoyable... but i think the point is like Brice said that they don't care who does it.... most guys don't i don't think.. and in getting their dick sucked they aren't doing anything for you.... (well that doesn't apply to me because personally i enjoy it) and, i guess it's supposed to be demeaning cuz their awful people like Woofer said...

anyways i think it's a stupid swear. my friend used to say "suck my right ovary" :lol: hard to do i imagine... probably painful too.

jayson
08-25-2008, 06:09 AM
"Suck my dick" seems to me a fairly unpleasant thing to hear from the recipient's perspective and therein I think lies the nature of it as a nasty thing to say to someone. I don't think it's to be seen as a legitimate request for head.

theBeamisHome
08-25-2008, 06:12 AM
of course it isn't lol.... i think it's funny that the swear is considered nasty to the recipient though. considering what they're actually saying.. you could be honored, but like Brice said... most guys don't care who sucks it.. :lol:

Jean
08-25-2008, 06:14 AM
it's all that old domination/submission song. The position of the one who does the blowing is supposed to be regarded as submissive (generally, on his knees). Also, his part is regarded as female, which in primitive communities (where our "cussing" comes from) is considered highly humiliating for a male.

jayson
08-25-2008, 06:21 AM
I'd think male or female, it's not really pleasant for someone else to suddenly suggest that you perform that particular service (outside of some dirty-talkin' consensual sex setting of course).

theBeamisHome
08-25-2008, 06:28 AM
what isn't a dirty-talkin' consensual sex setting??? :unsure: :panic:
jk guys

Woofer
08-25-2008, 07:10 AM
it's all that old domination/submission song. The position of the one who does the blowing is supposed to be regarded as submissive (generally, on his knees). Also, his part is regarded as female, which in primitive communities (where our "cussing" comes from) is considered highly humiliating for a male.

Oh sure... give the real explanation. I was going for funny. http://psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/Jester3.gif

Jean
08-25-2008, 07:14 AM
the funny explanation (actually, half a dozen such) was so indecent that I had to quickly supplant it with the "scientific" one I posted

08-25-2008, 02:49 PM

I'm sorry I didn't see your message before meeting them but I promise I will hug them for you tomorrow. We should be taking pictures tomorrow too so you'll get to see us all together :)

John_and_Yoko
08-25-2008, 02:59 PM
ARRRGH, major quotage overload!!!

Brice
08-26-2008, 03:22 AM

One more won't hurt then. :P

I'm sorry I didn't see your message before meeting them but I promise I will hug them for you tomorrow. We should be taking pictures tomorrow too so you'll get to see us all together :)

That would be absolutely wonderful. :rose:

The Lady of Shadows
08-26-2008, 11:35 AM
and what the fuck, just to stay on topic.

shouldn't you have said "major fucking quotage overfuckingload"? :P

One more won't hurt then. :P

That would be absolutely wonderful. :rose:

i don't know any of you but i'd like a hug if it's not too late. :couple:

:P to J&Y

08-26-2008, 02:46 PM
Brice: I've done it :) They looked really happy too

Turtlesong: ok, I hug you too. This surely will create some kind of bond between us, won't it? :P

Now back on topic

John_and_Yoko
08-26-2008, 02:55 PM

shouldn't you have said "major fucking quotage overfuckingload"? :P

I don't swear except in fiction. It just doesn't occur to me to do so.

:P to J&Y

Well, twenty-three skiddoo. :P