PDA

View Full Version : The Neil Gaiman thread

fernandito
05-23-2007, 09:57 PM
Well, as many of you know, and for those who don't, I have an unhealthy obsession with Neil Geiman's comics graphic novel series, The Sandman. :pirate: This thread is for general discussion of the series as a whole.

The following question is for those who've read the entire series (or if you decided to skip ahead and read volume 10 before finishing the other ones, cheater!):

If Morpheus had chosen Daniel from the beginning to be the next [aspect of the] Sandman, what do you think Morpheus did in his 'previous' life?

Still Servant
05-24-2007, 09:32 PM
How's it going feev? I was wondering if you (or anybody else for that matter) could give me a little info about the Sandman series.

I'm new to the graphic novel world and when I ask somebody to recommend a series they all say Sandman. I've thumbed through a couple books and the art seems to be a little more harsh than other books.

My question is, what is the series about? What makes it great? I've never read anything by Gaiman. Should I start with one of his novels? Lastly, what is the meaning of life?

Anyway, I'm reading Y: The Last Man series right now and I'm looking for something else to get into once I'm done with that.

Thanks.

OchrisO
05-24-2007, 09:37 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sandman_%28Vertigo%29

This wikipedia article gives some stuff on it. There may be some spoilers in it, so read carefully. People generally mark spoilers on wikipedia, though.

It is hard to say why it is so good. Gaiman is just amazing in everything he does. He is my favorite writer by far in both novels and comics. He started with the comics, so reading his novels first won't hurt, but it won't help either, really. The Sandman is very enriched and interwoven with mythology and magic, and the story is just amazing overall.

Erin
05-25-2007, 12:02 AM
Once I started reading The Sandman I literally couldn't stop reading them. All the characters are amazing and the story is so elaborate and thought provoking.

I highly recommend anyone read them.

Darkthoughts
05-25-2007, 04:27 AM
I've thumbed through a couple books and the art seems to be a little more harsh than other books.
The style of the artwork, or what its depicting? If you mean the latter, then true, Gaiman doesn't shy away from violence and subsequent gore - but its not excessive when you put it in the context of the story.

I think hes so great, because hes mastered the art of storytelling in a very traditional and at the same time, unique way.

As for his novels, Neverwhere is also fairly "harsh" I'd say, and Smoke and Mirrors - you could start with Stardust, which I liken to SK's Eyes of the Dragon. American God's and Anansi Boys are both quite brutal at times, but his style has mellowed alot with these two books and they're also two of the greatest stories I've read.

fernandito
05-25-2007, 07:14 AM
My question is, what is the series about? What makes it great? I've never read anything by Gaiman. Should I start with one of his novels? Lastly, what is the meaning of life?

This last sentence eliminated any doubt in my mind as to who you were :lol: Welcome back Mike!! You're gonna stick around this time, right?

As for your question: one of the reasons that these graphic novels are so good is because Geiman injects human traits into the main protagonist , Morpheus / The Sandman. Instead of following the usual " I am a divine entity, therefore all your puny mortals shall bow to me" template, Geiman places him into situations that we can all relate to. Through out the series Morpheus will love, hate, feel the frustrations of loss, and experience other human emotions. Bottom line: do yourself a favor, pick up the first volume , start this amazing series,you won't regret it.

Still Servant
05-25-2007, 11:02 AM
This last sentence eliminated any doubt in my mind as to who you were :lol: Welcome back Mike!! You're gonna stick around this time, right?

Heh, I'm gonna try this time. One of these days I will get my hands on a new computer and make my life easier.:D

Thanks to everybody for their responses (although I'm disappointed nobody answered my meaning of life question) you all have helped me make the choice to pick up the first series of Sandman next time I go to my local comic book shop. I've heard nothing but great things from everybody about the series and I don't like being left out of stuff like that.:unsure:

Has anybody read the 100 bullets series? People recommend that to me too.

Erin
05-25-2007, 06:18 PM
As for your question: one of the reasons that these graphic novels are so good is because Geiman injects human traits into the main protagonist , Morpheus / The Sandman.

Exactly. That is why I love the series so much. Dream is so complex.

Who is everyone's favorite character?

Spoilers ahead....

I absolutely love Delirium. Brief Lives is by far my favorite portion of the series. Dream and Delirium's journey to find their long-lost brother is awesome. I love the comedic aspect Delirium brings to the series, especially the scene where she and Dream are in a waiting room trying to speak to Pharamond and she is making small, brightly colored frogs appear out of thin air. The receptionist is terrified and she wispers into the phone "The lady....she's making little frogs". :lol: That scene just sealed the deal for me with Delirium.

I also cried during the scene when Destiny tells Dream that in order to find Destruction, he must go see his son. Dream falls apart, deeply upset. Realizing that Dream has just lost it, Delirium pulls herself together (her eyes even become the same colors) to help him and for mere minutes becomes the voice of reason. It was such a moving scene, especially when she says "Please get up, I don't know how much longer I can be like this. It hurts very much".

OchrisO
05-25-2007, 07:21 PM
I think Delerium is probably my favorite character as well. I like how she is patterned after Tori Amos, and I can see a bit of Neil in Dream, though I suppose tehre is most likely a bit of Neil in all of them. I'm also a big Merv Pumpkinhead fan.

My favorite story arc of the series is The Kindly Ones, though. Everytime I read a thread like this it makes me wish i had the money to start on my Sandman back piece tattoo.

Hey Erin, buy me a Sandman tattoo. :)

towerguard
05-26-2007, 02:48 AM
If Morpheus had chosen Daniel from the beginning to be the next [aspect of the] Sandman, what do you think Morpheus did in his 'previous' life?

I think Morpheus was the original Dream, there was only death before he was. So he came from nobody

The_Nameless
05-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Oh my. Brilliant idea.

Gaiman's Sandman series furthur cemented my love of comics.
It is absolutely brilliant in it's execution, and one of the greatest things the comic industry has ever seen. Actually, one of the greatest things the litery world has ever seen.

It is wonderfully imaginative, and has a cast of lovable characters. (I think Delirium is my favourite.)

I absolutely love Delirium. Brief Lives is by far my favorite portion of the series. Dream and Delirium's journey to find their long-lost brother is awesome. I love the comedic aspect Delirium brings to the series, especially the scene where she and Dream are in a waiting room trying to speak to Pharamond and she is making small, brightly colored frogs appear out of thin air. The receptionist is terrified and she wispers into the phone "The lady....she's making little frogs". That scene just sealed the deal for me with Delirium.

And I'm pleased to see I am not alone in my love for the character and that story. Delirium always brings a smile to my face, even when she's not saying anything.

I think Delerium is probably my favorite character as well.

And another who loves Delirium. :D

Then again, it is hard not to like here.

OchrisO
06-06-2007, 09:51 PM
I painted this on the wall of my bedroom when I was in highschool. My dad painted over it when I moved out, though, so it no longer exists. :(

I'm glad that I at least got a picture of it.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/polkacore/sandman1.jpg

Jean
06-06-2007, 11:30 PM
OchrisO, it is so good! Even if it gave you nightmares (did it?), it's great.

OchrisO
06-06-2007, 11:31 PM
Thanks.

Haha. Nah. It would have been great if it did though. I love nightmares. It would have been fitting too, since that is the Lord of Dreams.

Jean
06-06-2007, 11:33 PM
the worst nightmares are the ones you don't remember upon waking. So probably the Lord of Dreams did give them to you. Then, probably, they were, or may be are yet to be, reflected in your poems.

Darkthoughts
06-07-2007, 01:03 AM
Thats so cool Chris - shame it got painted over :(

I love Death - the High Cost of Living - was great if you're a fan. I've been out of the graphic novel loop for a while though...did any of the others get their own spin offs?

fernandito
06-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Thanks.

Haha. Nah. It would have been great if it did though. I love nightmares. It would have been fitting too, since that is the Lord of Dreams.

Hell yeah! Me too! Don't you love that feeling of waking up covered in sweat, with your heart hammering away in your chest? :)

That's a bad ass picture by the way. I'm going to print it out and paste it on my scrap book. :cool:

towerguard
09-06-2007, 06:55 AM
I want this tattoo
http://img.consumating.com/photos/18596/large/164841.jpg

Erin
09-06-2007, 07:57 AM
Chris on this site wants a similar tattoo to that. Without the writing though I think.

And thanks for bumping this Ronnie, It reminded me that I bought a really cool print at DragonCon of a watercolor of Death. I'll take a pic when I get home from work and post it.

OchrisO
09-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Yeah, if I ever get it, mine will be Huginn and Muninn, Odin's ravens, Thought and Memory. If any text, I would maybe get their names.Or, perhaps this:

Old Norse:

Huginn ok Muninn fliúga hverian dag
iörmungrund yfir;
óomk ek of Huginn, at hann aptr ne komit,
þó siámk meirr um Muninn.

English:

The whole world wide, every day,
fly Hugin and Munin;
I worry lest Hugin should fall in flight,
yet more I fear for Munin.

That tattoo is awesome, though.

I also plan to get all of the Endless on my back with Dream at the center and the rest floating in mist around him portrait style. I'll probaly add minor characters throughout the mist as time goes by as well. That is, if I ever have the money and time to undertake it.

Darkthoughts
09-06-2007, 12:18 PM
That would be beyond awesome...I'll paypal you some funds :D

towerguard
09-07-2007, 04:41 AM
Yeah, if I ever get it, mine will be Huginn and Muninn, Odin's ravens, Thought and Memory. If any text, I would maybe get their names.Or, perhaps this:

Old Norse:

Huginn ok Muninn fliúga hverian dag
iörmungrund yfir;
óomk ek of Huginn, at hann aptr ne komit,
þó siámk meirr um Muninn.

English:

The whole world wide, every day,
fly Hugin and Munin;
I worry lest Hugin should fall in flight,
yet more I fear for Munin.

That tattoo is awesome, though.

I also plan to get all of the Endless on my back with Dream at the center and the rest floating in mist around him portrait style. I'll probaly add minor characters throughout the mist as time goes by as well. That is, if I ever have the money and time to undertake it.

Thats cool, I wasn't thinking of getting a sandman tattoo at first, I was specificly looking for Hugin and Munin ideas when I ran across that.

Patrick
10-02-2007, 04:35 PM
First time in this thread...

I've read Gaiman's AMERICAN GODS and ANANSI BOYS in the last year and enjoyed them both. After enjoying those books and based on favorable things posted on other sites (from many of you actually), I finally started in on THE SANDMAN. I read Volume I, PRELUDES AND NOCTURNES, and I'm now into Volume 2, THE DOLL'S HOUSE.

There have been only limited appearances by other members of The Endless, but I'm loving this story (these stories?) regardless.

I've already purchased Volume 3, DREAM COUNTRY, as well.

Morpheus rocks.

OchrisO
10-03-2007, 09:13 AM
:dance:

I'm always super happy to see more people reading Sandman.

The Kindly ones is my favorite of all the story arcs. Season of Mists is a very close second and is amazing. Season of Mists is right after Dream Country, actually, so you will get t read it soon.

Dream Country is interesting because it is more self contained than the rest of the series in that it is 4 distinct stories that are sort of apart from the main narrative arc.

I need to find my copy of Season of Mists and take a picture of it. It is a really neat copy bound in fake leather with a golden key on the front.

Patrick
10-03-2007, 09:22 AM
I need to find my copy of Season of Mists and take a picture of it. It is a really neat copy bound in fake leather with a golden key on the front.

Please do. :)

The comic bookstore where I'm getting these also has a big ol' faux leatherbound edition that appears to have all ten volumes inside for about $100 (U.S.). I was tempted to buy it rather than the individual volumes as it would look cool and would be cheaper by the time I bought all the volumes separately. But I decided it would just be too unwieldly to actually read the whole thing.

Patrick
10-03-2007, 09:25 AM
A couple days ago, my 4-year old son asked my wife this:

"Mommy, where do my dreams go when I wake up?"

Odetta
10-03-2007, 11:32 AM
that's great! I love that!

Patrick
11-01-2007, 10:24 AM
First time in this thread...

I've read Gaiman's AMERICAN GODS and ANANSI BOYS in the last year and enjoyed them both. After enjoying those books and based on favorable things posted on other sites (from many of you actually), I finally started in on THE SANDMAN. I read Volume I, PRELUDES AND NOCTURNES, and I'm now into Volume 2, THE DOLL'S HOUSE.

There have been only limited appearances by other members of The Endless, but I'm loving this story (these stories?) regardless.

I've already purchased Volume 3, DREAM COUNTRY, as well.

Morpheus rocks.
I finished DREAM COUNTRY a while ago, and I just started Volume 4, SEASON OF MISTS last night. Just based on the family meeting, this one feels like it's going to be great. :dance:

Jimmy
11-05-2007, 07:46 AM
I just found out Gaiman wrote the screenplay adaptation for Beowulf. I would like to see it now.

fernandito
11-05-2007, 09:17 AM
I just found out Gaiman wrote the screenplay adaptation for Beowulf. I would like to see it now.

Yup. According to Entertaint Weekly , Zemeckis (Director) said the following to Gaiman : "There is nothing that you can write that I can't film."

Rjeso
11-05-2007, 09:19 AM

Oh, damn, I thought I told you about that. Sorry. I read it on his Wiki page.

OchrisO
11-05-2007, 03:28 PM
I just remembered that I was supposed to post pictures of my faux leather bound copy of Season of Mists.

Here's the cover. You probably can't see it in the picture, but there are engraved designed on the cover behind the key.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/polkacore/som1.jpg
This is the inside page. It may be the same as the regular graphic novel.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/polkacore/som2.jpg

I also don't recall if this is in the back of the normal graphic novel, but it has old-time looking pictures of people involved in the project with amusing "biographies of each. For example, Gaiman's(not in the picture) says the following:

1) He was not found wandering the sewers of London as a child during the winter of 1864, unable to say anything more than "Powerful big rats, gentlemen."

2) He was never exhibited in public houses to the curious; only briefly in July, 1865, to selected gentlemen of standing from the scientific and literary community.

3) He did not have a vestigial tail.

4) He did indeed have what most people wouldn commonly understand as "eyes."

5) He was not actually the pilot of the Zepplin, although he did disappear for good following the explosion.

6) There is quite obviously no "underground kingdom beneath London inhabited by huge, intelligent rodents." And even if there were, and suggestion of Neil's involvement in the many territorial negotiations between London Above and Below can be considered a joke, and poor taste at that.

7) He was afraid of neither mirrors nor street conjurers.

8 ) There were no tooth-marks on the bones. "

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/polkacore/som3.jpg

fernandito
11-05-2007, 03:43 PM
Damn Chris, those pictures look tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Patrick
11-05-2007, 10:28 PM
That book is great, Chris. Hilarious biography too. Thanks for sharing. :rock:

Darkthoughts
11-06-2007, 03:17 AM
Wow - that is an awesome edition Chris!! The normal edition does have the fake biogs too ;)

OchrisO
02-13-2008, 04:57 AM
Must.......have.....

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g118/polkacore/bookends.jpg

I think I just came a little.

Lookit Goldie on the Morpheus one! MEEP!

Rjeso
02-13-2008, 05:27 AM
...Those are gorgeous. Wow.

fernandito
02-13-2008, 06:34 AM
I'm in love.

WEBSITE TO ORDER IT FROM!?!?!??

LadyHitchhiker
02-13-2008, 07:23 AM
I loved sandman... use dto have 5 of the graphic novels and someone swiped them...

OchrisO
02-13-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm in love.

WEBSITE TO ORDER IT FROM!?!?!??

I think it is dcdirectonline.com that is doing them, but I don't think they do orders, so I am not sure.

Erin
02-13-2008, 06:05 PM
OMG I want that so bad! Those are awesome!

And are they already on The Absolute Sandman Volume 3? I've only got Volume 1 and haven't seen any others around.

OchrisO
02-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Three isn't out yet, but will be soon, I think. I've not bought any of the Absolute volums, since I have most of it either in graphic novel or the original comics.

Erin
02-13-2008, 06:48 PM
But 2 is out?

OchrisO
02-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Ayup.

Amazon.com: The Absolute Sandman, Vol. 2: Books: Neil Gaiman,Dave McKean,Colleen Doran,P. Craig Russell,Shawn Macmanus,Kelley Jones,Alisa Kwitney

Aaron
02-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that I saw volume 2 in the bookstore recently.

Chris, where on earth did you get that copy of Season of Mists? And how much was it?

fernandito
02-13-2008, 06:52 PM
I think it literally cost him an arm and a leg.

OchrisO
02-13-2008, 06:59 PM
I had a copy of it when I was in highschool and let someone borrow it and never got it back. I had been looking for it for a while and couldn't find it, so I finally sent Neil Gaiman a message through his Ask Neil section of his website asking him about it and if he knew where i could find a copy of it. He directed me to http://www.alibris.com/ and I was able to find a seller through that site. It only cost me $16.81(that's with shipping), actually. This copy has more meaning to me that the original that I had, simply because Neil himself helped me find it. haha.

fernandito
02-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Do you still look at the message from time and time and find yourself gradually sliding under your desk? :)

OchrisO
02-13-2008, 07:03 PM
haha. He replied via his journal on his website. I'd imagine I could search and find the message somewhere on tehre, since he has an archive.

fernandito
07-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Amandaaaaaaa.....

:D

Girlystevedave
07-12-2008, 09:07 PM
I just finished Vol 1 Preludes and Nocturnes earlier. (This is the time where I take a moment to thank Feev for being a f'n graphic novel peddler and once again turning me into a junkie.....Thanks FEEV!!...:D)
Anyway, I really enjoyed this first volume. The artwork is very cool and the color schemes are amazing. (I love, love, love the blue of the Sandman's hair and cloak.)
What I realy enjoyed about it was how, at the beginning of each story, you are kind of in the dark as far as what is really going on. I like how characters and plots are slowly revealed instead of just thrown out all at once at the beginning of the story. It definitely evolves at a perfect pace.
There were a lot of moments in the book that I really liked. Him travelling into hell to reclaim his helmet was probably my favorite. Naturally, I liked the duel with Choronzon, but I loved Sandman's response when told that he had no power in Hell. "What power would Hell have if those imprisoned here were not able to dream of Heaven?"
And of course the battle with Dee was great. Especially when he first challenges him and we see him put on his helmet and invite him to the dream world. Badass!
I'm really looking forward to reading more of these.....I've started a bit of Vol 2, but put it down, wanting to savor it for another day. :)

fernandito
07-13-2008, 05:11 AM
I loved Sandman's response when told that he had no power in Hell. "What power would Hell have if those imprisoned here were not able to dream of Heaven?"

I love that quote too - I think I had it in my sig back at .net. And yes, the duel with Choronzon is bad ass! :D

Glad to know you enjoyed it. :)

Girlystevedave
07-19-2008, 07:11 PM
Firstly: I see you Feev :evil:

I just finished The Sandman: The Doll's House and all I can really say is WOW. It was awesome.

I think the part when Rose calls for Morpheus and he saves her from Nathan was one of my favorites. Of course, pretty much all of the story involving Rose/the vortex was brilliant. Especially the build up at the end when Unity reveals that she was supposed to be the vortex, and gives up her life to save Rose. :clap:
And shit! Morpheus calling Desire out at the end and telling him/her to basically not f*ck around with his realm. :excited:Morpheus really is one badass when he needs to be.

Awesome..awesome..awesome..
After seeing the complexity to his personality, I'm really starting to fall in love with Morpheus.

Edit: I'm sure I'll be back in here repeatedly when I remember other parts that I liked. :)

Rider_of_Discordia
07-19-2008, 07:27 PM
I have met Neil Gaiman a number of times at signings and Comic Cons, he is a top guy, really friendly, willing to chat for far too long and really interesting.

I can confirm that the regular Season of Mists graphic novel has those old fake bio's in it as well. I am not certain about any reprints, though I don't see why DC should change it.

Seymour_Glass
07-20-2008, 08:44 AM
I've read the first two volumes. The Doll's house was freaking epic. I loved how it all tied together. It was all over the place, but always awesome.

Rider_of_Discordia
07-21-2008, 05:42 PM
The Sound of Her Wings, the issue that starts with Dream feeding the pidgeons is one of my favourite comics of all time!

I am not certain which volume its in as there was some mix up and different editions have it bundled at the beginning of Doll's House and others in Preludes and Nocturnes. Don't know why, I have it in both collections ... which seems a tad of an overkill (and the original comic ... so three times!) ... such a good story though.

fernandito
07-21-2008, 09:17 PM
It's the concluding story of Preludes & Nocturnes.

Patrick
07-21-2008, 11:32 PM
Thanks to Feev, I checked out this series. I've read the first seven volumes, so now I'm trying to wait longer in between to make them last longer.

Rider_of_Discordia
07-22-2008, 02:31 AM
Feverishparade wrote... It's the concluding story of Preludes & Nocturnes.

Makes more sense there .. leaves the whole of THE DOLL'S HOUSE as a complete story in the one volume. I was poking around afterwards and came across the explanation that Doll's House + Sound of her Wings was published first (before any other bits of series) as a kind of sampler for the series. Which is obviously when my volume dates from. I bought it because I wanted to loan out the comics to friends to get them into the series, but didn't want to loan the originals out. Having a graphic novel was an ideal substitute to loaning comics out. Now I don't read my original comics at all. Just a hassle and probably my daughter wouldn't thank me when I shuffle off to the clearing at the end of the path and she wants to ebay the whole collection.

"Sandman #1-75 slightly pawed and scuffed" is not going to be a bid catcher the same as "Near mint and sparkly"

Erin
07-31-2008, 01:27 PM
I convinced my friend Josh to start reading Sandman. He's on Brief Lives now and loving it.

Matt
07-31-2008, 02:00 PM
Aaron loaned them to me, I'm enjoying the shit out of it.

Girlystevedave
08-08-2008, 09:41 AM
I started Dream Country last night. So far, I've only read the first story, with Calliope. I really liked when:

Morpheus gave Madoc too many ideas to the point where it dove him mad. And he was trying to 'write' the ideas on the wall using his fingers.

Arthur Heath
08-08-2008, 05:46 PM
I consume everything Gaiman. He has a new book, The Graveyard Book, in 7 weeks. Effin A! I just noticed he'll be in Seattle in October. ROAD TRIP!

fernandito
08-08-2008, 08:49 PM
Did you know that Gaiman is going to start writing Batman in January 2009? :)

Patrick
09-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Did you know that Gaiman is going to start writing Batman in January 2009? :)
Sweet!

He doesn't discuss Sandman in this, but mainly Stardust and graphic novels in general. Here's a 5-minute Gaiman interview video:

Short Gaiman Interview

Patrick
07-13-2009, 09:01 PM
Question: Is this thread, as the name implies, focused on only the Sandman series?

Should we start another thread for Gaiman's many other works, or convert this one to a more general Gaiman thread?

Thanks.
- Patrick

p.s. I am going to see/meet Gaiman this Sunday. Only 100 people get to go.

turtlex
07-14-2009, 12:37 AM
Hmmmmm. :orely: And shouldn't this thread be in the Comic Tower?!? :orely:

fernandito
07-14-2009, 11:46 AM
Patrick - Thanks for reminding me, I was actually going to suggest making this a General Gaiman discussion thread a few weeks back. I think that would be better, that way we can discuss the series and all of his wonderful novels.

Pam - Since we're going to change the title anyway so that the thread is all-encompassing , I think we can leave it here :)

Jean
07-14-2009, 12:06 PM
give the thread a new name, and bears will rename it

fernandito
07-14-2009, 12:13 PM
How about... The Neil Gaiman thread? :)

Odetta
07-14-2009, 12:14 PM
done!

Jean
07-14-2009, 12:15 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_thumb.gif

Patrick
07-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Patrick - Thanks for reminding me, I was actually going to suggest making this a General Gaiman discussion thread a few weeks back. I think that would be better, that way we can discuss the series and all of his wonderful novels.

Pam - Since we're going to change the title anyway so that the thread is all-encompassing , I think we can leave it here :)

I thank you,

And the boy thanks you. ;)

http://www.geocities.com/susanmhpublishersmarketplace/2007/febGAIMAN1.jpg

cody44
07-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Well, I have have been really interested in Gaiman's works, but haven't decided where to start. Can anyone help me out? I was thinking American God's sounded like a great place to start. Where did you guys start at when it comes to Gaiman?

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-15-2009, 04:24 PM
All I have read is Coraline. I really enjoyed it, but I am wondering if he has anything that is geared to an adult audience. I liked Coraline and would read and enjoy similar works, but I am more interested in something with a little more meat.

fernandito
07-15-2009, 04:30 PM
Well, I have have been really interested in Gaiman's works, but haven't decided where to start. Can anyone help me out? I was thinking American God's sounded like a great place to start. Where did you guys start at when it comes to Gaiman?

All I have read is Coraline. I really enjoyed it, but I am wondering if he has anything that is geared to an adult audience. I liked Coraline and would read and enjoy similar works, but I am more interested in something with a little more meat.

American Gods.

You guys can thank me tomorrow :)

Heather19
07-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Yes, I still need to get to that one. Plus pick up the next Sandman!

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-15-2009, 04:59 PM

American Gods.

You guys can thank me tomorrow :)

We shall see, thanks in advance Feev.

Patrick
07-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Cody and Browning's Childe, I recommend reading AMERICAN GODS and ANANSI BOYS, in that order simply because that is the order in which they were written.

Most people prefer one over the over, but they're both great reads.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
07-16-2009, 05:29 PM
I shall add them to the list....the list, however, is growing quite large.

sarajean
07-16-2009, 08:01 PM
good omens was my first experience with him (like 13 or 14 years ago), and i loved it.

i strongly recommend that. :D

Brice
07-16-2009, 08:05 PM
good omens was my first experience with him (like 13 or 14 years ago), and i loved it.

i strongly recommend that. :D

:thumbsup:

Good Omens was fantastic. :D

Darkthoughts
07-17-2009, 08:01 AM
Yep, Good Omens was my first Gaiman, followed by the Sandman gn's. But I would very, very highly recommend American Gods as a great place to start.

As Patrick says, you can follow on with Anansi Boys, which is also excellent. And even look out for a familiar face in one of the short stories in Fragile Things.

Brice
07-17-2009, 08:31 AM
My first was Neverwhere. :D

fernandito
07-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Neverwhere is another great Gaiman read.

The last Gaiman I read was The Graveyard Book (Thanks again Lisa :wub:), a quick read but still good nonetheless :)

Patrick
07-17-2009, 02:09 PM
I've read everything mentioned so far, except GOOD OMENS. I guess I better rectify that shortfall in my Gaiman experience.

Speaking of the Gaiman experience, I just expanded mine. I finally succumbed to the pressure (mostly from within) and bought the ABSOLUTE SANDMAN, Volume I. Holy moly, what a beautiful book!

Here it is next to one of the standard softcovers to show relative size.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books/Gaiman-AbSand1-3.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books/Gaiman-AbSand1-1.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books/Gaiman-AbSand1-6.jpg

I recall that people were discussing this edition somewhere upthread. They were right. The artwork looks so much better on the larger pages with better paper and ink quality. Plus there are a bunch of extras in back (bios, sketches, scripts, etc.)

This book is not rare so I encourage all Sandman fans to go get one!

Brice
07-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Patrick, find Good Omens NOW. :D

Edit: That Absolute Sandman is gorgeous.

Heather19
07-17-2009, 07:49 PM
What is Good Omens about?

Patrick
07-17-2009, 10:08 PM
I'll look for GOOD OMENS, Brice.

I'm hoping to get that ABSOLUTE SANDMAN inscribed and signed by Neil Gaiman when I meet him on Sunday. :excited:

fernandito
07-17-2009, 11:24 PM
What is Good Omens about?

From Wikipedia :)

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch (1990) is a fantasy novel written in collaboration between Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

The book is a comedy and a quasi-parody of the 1976 film The Omen (as well as other books and films of the genre), concerning the birth of the son of Satan, the coming of the End Times and the attempts of the angel Aziraphale and the demon Crowley to avert them, having become accustomed to their comfortable situations in the human world. A subplot features the gathering of the four horsemen of the Apocalypse—War, Famine, Pollution (Pestilence having retired in 1936 following the discovery of penicillin), and Death—the last of whom is characterised in a manner reminiscent of the personification of Death in Pratchett's Discworld novels and calls himself Azrael before his final exit.

Heather19
07-18-2009, 08:44 AM
I'll have to pick it up. Sounds good.

And Patrick, have fun :rock:

Patrick
07-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Thanks, Feev, I'll find it too.

Thanks, Heather. I'm really looking forward to meeting him tomorrow. It's going to be at a comic book store in San Francisco and limited to 100 people. It was dumb luck that I found out about it in time to snag a spot.

He'll be promoting/signing the hardcover of "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?"

fernandito
07-18-2009, 10:52 AM
You'll obviously be posting bazillions of pictures, right? :D

Patrick
07-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Yes. I'll charge the battery tonight and bring the camera tomorrow. I hope to take lots of photos.

Ka-mai
07-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Woot!

My first was Good Omens, given to me for a birthday present. It was a few years until I read Neverwhere, and then another year or so before I met Matt and he really got me started with Sandman and American Gods. Now I'm hooked. :P

Patrick
07-18-2009, 11:39 PM
I loved NEVERWHERE, ka-mai.

sarajean
07-19-2009, 10:39 AM
posting this for patrick:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o199/sarajeanm/1248028482.jpg

turtlex
07-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Oh! That is soooooo cool. It's like having Neil Gaiman in your living room.

sarajean
07-19-2009, 11:04 AM
he said the reading was great, and that it was time for the signing.

i told him to tell neil i said hi.

:blush:

Darkthoughts
07-19-2009, 11:13 AM
I'm so jealous! I had a ticket to see him do a reading/signing for the Graveyard Book in London and couldn't get there :cry:

Heather19
07-19-2009, 01:21 PM
oh Lisa that sucks, I'm sorry you weren't able to make it :(

Great photo! I can't wait for Patrick to get back to tell us about it.

turtlex
07-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Neil and Patrick... honestly, I'd be just as thrilled to meet Patrick, I think.

Only I'd have nothing for Patrick to sign. :orely:

Looking forward to his write-up about the event.

What did Neil read from?!?

sarajean
07-19-2009, 02:15 PM
he didn't tell me, but he did say that neil said to tell sarajean and pam "hello!"

:excited:

turtlex
07-19-2009, 02:17 PM
:panic: No way !!!!!!! :panic:

sarajean
07-19-2009, 02:18 PM
that's what the text i got said.

turtlex
07-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Wow. It's like I was there!
sarajean, why didn't you tell me we were going ?!? :lol:

sarajean
07-19-2009, 02:21 PM
i wish i had known ahead of time, i would have run a brush through my hair. :rolleyes:

turtlex
07-19-2009, 02:23 PM
And I'd have put on a nicer t-shirt !

sarajean
07-19-2009, 02:24 PM
:couple:

Patrick
07-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Hi! Just got home. It was awesome, of course.

Took lots of pics with the real camera, and the one with the cellphone camera posted upthread which I sent to sj as Neil was reading. (Thanks for posting that, sarajean.)

Gotta go be a dad now since I've been gone all day. Later I'll tell you more and post some photos.

By the way, I didn't make that up. Neil Gaiman really did tell you two hello. :thumbsup:

turtlex
07-20-2009, 12:15 AM
Looking forward to pictures and details, Patrick.

I hope you told Neil hello from us back!?!

Patrick
07-20-2009, 06:45 AM
I hope you told Neil hello from us back!?!

You goofball. I told him you guys said hello first.

I hit the wall last night and fell asleep on the couch. But I will post more later. Gotta go to work now.

sarajean
07-20-2009, 06:45 AM
um, i typed this as patrick was posting:

well, i know my last message to patrick asked him to make sure he said "hi" for me, so i'm thinking that was his response.

i don't know how he just knew your name, though, pam.

:rolleyes:

turtlex
07-20-2009, 07:03 AM
:lol:

Obviously you didn't realize that Neil and I are likethis... actually, not, but I just figured he uses my name all the time anyways.... :blush:

Pam's of the world unite !!

Patrick
07-20-2009, 04:28 PM
On Sunday morning I left the house about 8:45am, drove to San Francisco, found a little comic shop nestled away, then drove around a while because parking sucks in the City. I found a place to park, then headed off by foot to the comic store with a couple books in hand. I joined the end of the line way down the street.

This event was limited to the first 100 people who had called (as I had one week earlier) or come in to pre-order the new hardback of "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" - Batman's swan song story written by Gaiman. The limit was based on the Neil telling the owner he would come in for about an an hour and a half. I had my doubts because doing a reading and signing up to 200 books would almost undoubtedly take longer than 90 minutes. The staff continually repeated that there was a 2 book limit for the signing.

As I was waiting in line, a couple workers came by, checked IDs and credit cards to make sure we all were the pre-order people we claimed to be. Then they handed me a book and a playing card with a number on it. I was #74 which was to be my order number for the signing to take place after Neil's reading.

I can't even see the destination from the back of the line:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/BookSignings/071909-Gaiman01b.jpg

Heading in for the reading at about 11am:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/BookSignings/071909-Gaiman02b.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/BookSignings/071909-Gaiman03b.jpg

The photo below was just as I walked into the comic shop. They had moved all the racks off to a corner so people could stand. No chairs, but who cares. It was clear (to me anyway) that this place had probably been a garage long ago:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/BookSignings/071909-Gaiman04b.jpg

The owner of the shop, Brian, came out and stood at the top of the little staircase to the backroom and gave a short introduction. He knew Neil from way back when Neil had done a couple signings there much, much earlier in his career. This occasion is that store is celebrating its 20th anniversary. Brian was clear that they/we were very lucky to have Neil stop by because, at this point in his career, he really doesn't need to do comic book store signings.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/BookSignings/071909-Gaiman05b.jpg

Then, to much applause, Neil Gaiman appeared from behind the black curtain:

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/BookSignings/071909-Gaiman06b.jpg

I'm still at the office. I'm going to have to continue the recap later tonight. Sorry about that. In the meantime, how many pics of Gaiman do you want to see anyway?

sarajean
07-20-2009, 04:41 PM
In the meantime, how many pics of Gaiman do you want to see anyway?
all of 'em.

Heather19
07-20-2009, 04:44 PM
Awesome Patrick. That place looks so tiny!

turtlex
07-21-2009, 12:29 AM
In the meantime, how many pics of Gaiman do you want to see anyway?
all of 'em.

Yes.

All of them.

Please.

And more details!

Darkthoughts
07-21-2009, 04:17 AM
Yep, ditto that!

Patrick
07-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Hi! Sorry for the delay. Work, exhaustion, children and margaritas all conspired against me.
Ok, you said you wanted a lot of photos, so you'll get them.

Neil Gaiman appeared from behind the curtain, all dressed in black. He discussed our goal of world domination and talked about his long relationship with Brian, the shop owner. Here is a really low quality video of the start of his talk.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/BookSignings/th_071909-Gaiman-Vid2.jpg

Neil told us that a long time ago, there was printing mistake in Sandman, Issue #8. Corrected versions were run but were limited in number. Those issues were given out to a few comic shops with the intention of being given away as freebies. Most of those shops sold the "free" issues. Worse, some took them to San Diego and sold them for big bucks given their scarcity. Neil said that, unlike the others, Brian had given all his away. In fact, rather than only give them to his existing customers, Brian had left copies all over the City to get word out about Sandman and in hopes of maybe getting a new customer or two. Gaiman really respects how Brian handled things all those years ago. And that's why Neil was taking time out of his vacation on a sunny Sunday to visit Brian's shop again and do this reading and signing.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/BookSignings/071909-Gaiman07b.jpg...http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/BookSignings/071909-Gaiman08b.jpg

Next Neil said that he would like to read from the new hardcover Batman, but that he had never figured out how to do a good live reading from a comic book. So instead he would read from another book, "Who Killed Amanda Palmer? (http://jsrdirect.com/bands/amandapalmer/wkap.html)" Amanda Palmer is a woman who took a lot of pictures of herself in various situations, but in all of the photos she appears dead. She asked Neil to write captions and stories to go with the photos. As this was a wholly original request and unlike anything anyone had ever asked of him, he accepted.

Neil would show a photo of Amanda Palmer dead, and then he would read the story he wrote for the picture. Another sketchy video of part of one story follows.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/BookSignings/th_071909-Gaiman-Vid3.jpg

Neil read four or five of these stories and let slip that he got a girlfriend out of the project.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/BookSignings/071909-Gaiman09b.jpg...http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/BookSignings/071909-Gaiman10b.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/BookSignings/071909-Gaiman12b.jpg...http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/BookSignings/071909-Gaiman13b.jpg

Amanda Palmer is the singer in the duo, Dresden Dolls, and is also now Neil's girlfriend. The name of the book is also the name of her debut solo album. For any Dresden Doll fans out there, Amanda showed up later during the signings.

Then about half an hour after filing into the store, they kicked us all out while they put the store back together (bookracks in place, etc.) and set up a table in back for Neil to sign people's books. It was 11:30am and right on schedule.

Two videos and six photos are enough for any single post.
Story to continue in a new post shortly.

turtlex
07-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Patrick - I don't think I've ever seen Neil in anything except black !!! It's so great you got to experience that!

Heather19
07-22-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the photos Patrick.
What about the signing, did you get to talk to him, and what did you get signed?

sarajean
07-22-2009, 03:17 PM
thank you, patrick!

:huglove:

Patrick
07-22-2009, 04:13 PM
After we all filed out of the store between the reading and the signing, I took a photo of the place.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/BookSignings/071909-Gaiman15b.jpg

As I mentioned earlier, this event was supposed to last 90 minutes, so the event was scheduled to wrap up at 12:30pm. The reading was all done and we were outside after a half hour, which meant we were right on schedule at 11:30am. The workers had repeated, like a mantra at every opportunity all morning that Neil would only sign two books per person. However I thought, "No way in hell is he going to sign a hundred people's books, especially not at two per person, in one hour." And, as I think I mentioned, I was #74 out of 100, so I knew I was in for a long wait.

All I could think was, "I wish hadn't imbibed so heavily last night."

Also I thought, "I hope Gaiman does not stick to his stated 90 minute limit."

The good thing is that because we were all assigned numbers based on when we had showed up that morning, we didn’t have to stand in line while we waited. They called people's numbers four or five at a time, so there was always a line of only about ten people in the store. I talked to other people standing around waiting, I went down the street to a coffee shop, etc. At about 1:15pm or so (over two hours since the start of the event), they finally called my number. I went in and got in line.

I was finally in the store! I could see Neil Gaiman signing other people's books! He was being very mellow and very gracious. He was thanking people for coming. Wait, Gaiman was thanking us??

(These photos are a bit blurry because we were asked to turn off the flash on our cameras.)

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/BookSignings/071909-Gaiman17b.jpg...http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/BookSignings/071909-Gaiman18b.jpg

Finally it was my turn at the table. Yes, I was nervous. Yes, I forgot whatever little I planned to say. No, I did not drool on him, although I easily could have. A nice lady offered to take photos with my camera and I handed it to her, after which I promptly forgot I had even brought a camera.

I babbled about how much I loved all his work, about how cool he was to come to this comic store in San Francisco, how stoked I was to meet him, blah blah blah…

Neil inscribed my "Whatever Happened to The Caped Crusader?" He drew Batman in my book. I love Batman and I love Gaiman. I was irrationally happy.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/BookSignings/071909-Gaiman19b.jpg...http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/BookSignings/071909-Gaiman20b.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/BookSignings/Gaiman-CapedCru-1.jpg...http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/BookSignings/Gaiman-CapedCru-2.jpg

I told Neil that I read "Wolves in the Walls" (a children's book of his) to my sons and that they love it. He said that he thinks it's great for kids to have the opportunity to grow up on stories like that.

Meanwhile he signed my new "Absolute Sandman, Volume I (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=418788&postcount=86)" that I posted about last week. He drew Morpheus. Sweet.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/BookSignings/071909-Gaiman21b.jpg...http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/BookSignings/Gaiman-AbSand1-7.jpg

Then I told him that I have a 1-month old daughter and that I read her his book, "Blueberry Girl (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=415483#post415483)," released a couple months ago. I told Neil that it was already flatsigned, but I would appreciate it if he could just inscribe it to my daughter. He was happy to do so and, of course, he signed it after inscribing it - even though this was my third book.
[Side note: So the book is actually signed twice - on separate pages.]

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/BookSignings/071909-Gaiman22b.jpg...http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books/Gaiman-Bberry1.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/BookSignings/Gaiman-Blueberry-Sig.jpg

"Love and blueberries…" This last is my favorite of the three because it is so sweet and he is a kind man.

Just as I was reluctantly leaving the signing table, I turned back and said, "Oh yeah! My friends sarajean and Pam said to tell you hello." He said, "Well. Tell them that Neil Gaiman made a point of telling them hello back."

I walked back to my truck a few blocks away, my feet not quite touching the ground and drove the 80 miles home.

The End.

sarajean
07-22-2009, 04:21 PM

omg, i've got tears cos of the blueberry girl inscription.

turtlex
07-22-2009, 04:23 PM
OMG!!!
Patrick !! That is so awesome!!
He drew Batman, Morpheus and signed to Ella Grace with blueberries!!!

What a cool guy.

This is a great story, Patrick...so great !

Heee..... and Neil Gaiman said my name. :blush:

Patrick - just awesome.

Heather19
07-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Patrick what a wonderful story, and I especially love that he signed the book for your daughter. That is so sweet :couple:

Patrick
07-22-2009, 07:23 PM

omg, i've got tears cos of the blueberry girl inscription.
I know the feeling, believe me. :couple:

OMG!!!
Patrick !! That is so awesome!!
He drew Batman, Morpheus and signed to Ella Grace with blueberries!!!

What a cool guy.

This is a great story, Patrick...so great !

Heee..... and Neil Gaiman said my name. :blush:

Patrick - just awesome.

Yeah, I had already thought highly of him and now even more so. By the way, a comic fan and Gaiman fan like you, Pam, really should pick up the Deluxe Edition of "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" The story is cool and the artwork is fantastic. Read the introduction, he talks about why he accepted the project after being out of comic books for so long and he discusses the different art styles in the story and their significance. Also the book contains other Batman stories past that he has written. It's a neat book, even if it isn't signed. :thumbsup:

Patrick what a wonderful story, and I especially love that he signed the book for your daughter. That is so sweet :couple:

Thank you, Heather. I couldn't agree more. :couple:

turtlex
07-23-2009, 12:46 AM
Patrick - Just ordered it on your recommendation!

Such a great story and I love hearing how people I admire are actually really good folks.

Patrick
07-23-2009, 03:21 AM
Cool! Let me know what you think when you receive it.

Yes, I agree with that sentiment. So glad that Gaiman is one of the good ones.

Darkthoughts
07-23-2009, 04:41 AM
That was so cool!! Thanks for the videos and photos and your "Dear Diary, today I met Neil Gaiman..." post :lol: :huglove: Again, I'm so jealous! I must learn to drive!!
What a cool bloke :wub: (You and Neil :D )

turtlex
07-23-2009, 05:11 AM
That was so cool!! Thanks for the videos and photos and your "Dear Diary, today I met Neil Gaiman..." post :lol: :huglove: Again, I'm so jealous! I must learn to drive!!

Lisa... you also might want to learn to fly, since that all happened in California and you're in the UK. Just a thought, cause that could make for a long, underwater drive. :D

sarajean
07-23-2009, 06:56 AM
Last edited by turtlex; Today at 09:12 AM. Reason: Changed the word 'wet' to 'underwater' to bypass the "thats what she said" inevitables. i'm still saying it, pam.

that's what she said.

turtlex
07-23-2009, 07:10 AM
:lol: :huglove:

Patrick
07-23-2009, 08:08 AM
I'm glad you liked my never-ending fanboy recounting, Lisa. :lol: Especially I hope you clicked every little weblink built into my posts.

Yes, you simply must get a driver's license, because now you've missed both Neil and me when we've been right there on your little island. :rolleyes:

Melike
07-23-2009, 08:11 AM
Patrick, thanks for all those photos and videos. I am so happy for you; as much as I am jealous. :)

I have just started to read The Graveyard Book and I thought how awesome everything that had been spit by Gaiman's brain, was.
And then I saw your posts.

Patrick
07-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Thanks, Melike.

I loved THE GRAVEYARD BOOK. Classic Gaiman storytelling. :thumbsup:

Melike
07-23-2009, 09:47 AM
Thanks, Melike.

I loved THE GRAVEYARD BOOK. Classic Gaiman storytelling. :thumbsup:

Classically original.

fernandito
07-23-2009, 11:43 AM
PATRICK! You have an autographed WHTTCC?!?!!?!?

<--- DIES OF JEALOUSY :lol:

No but seriously man, congratulations. That's so bad ass!!! :clap:

Darkthoughts
07-23-2009, 12:06 PM
:lol: Pam :couple: But like Patrick said, I was referring to the fact that I've missed both Patrick and Neil through not being able to get to London :pullhair:

Patrick
07-23-2009, 01:54 PM
PATRICK! You have an autographed WHTTCC?!?!!?!?

<--- DIES OF JEALOUSY :lol:

No but seriously man, congratulations. That's so bad ass!!! :clap:
Thanks, Feev. To be honest, I was ready and willing to buy five more copies of WHTTCC if there was an opportunity to have Gaiman inscribe them to people here - but there was just no way since the event was already easily twice as long as it was supposed to last.

Lisa, next time I give you that much advance warning, you better make it work! Just sayin'. :arg:

Darkthoughts
07-24-2009, 06:55 AM
:lol: Visit at the weekend dufus!! :P

turtlex
07-26-2009, 04:24 AM
The 2009 Eisner Awards were announced at the Comc-Con International: San Diego and guess who won one?

Best Publication for Teens/Tweens: Coraline, by Neil Gaiman, adapted by P. Craig Russell (HarperCollins Children's Books)

turtlex
07-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Wow... I wish I had the money for this.

Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, Signed / Limited

$200 from VJ Books (http://www.vjbooks.com/Gaiman-Neverwhere-Limited-p/gaineve01-ltd.htm&click=97)

Deluxe Numbered Limited Edition
Hand-Signed by Neil Gaiman

Special Slipcase Bound in Fabric
Full Cloth Jacket
Two-color Text and Endpapers
Two Full-color Illustrated Spreads
Strictly limited to 1000 copies

VJ Books is taking pre-orders for this December 2009 title. Limited to (2) per customer, no cancellations.

Darkthoughts
07-28-2009, 01:07 PM
I've got a lot of signed Gaiman, but not Neverwhere. Don't think I could stretch to that right now though :(

Gaiman's site is a great place to buy his books from. You can order them signed, my Wolves In The Wall is inscribed "Lisa...dream!...Neil Gaiman"

Patrick
07-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Cool, Pam, thanks for the heads up. I'm going to look into that, however I doubt that I'll be buying it at the moment. That link should have a photo of something, the cover design or something. Like Lisa, I do have other Gaiman S/Ls though.

Hey, it looks like it will be released in December 2009. That's why you don't have it, Lisa. :P

I really did like the book NEVERWHERE though.

Lisa, nice inscription! That site still sells his signed books, but only whatever they have in stock at the time. They stopped taking preorders for inscriptions a while ago. It's a bummer.

turtlex
07-29-2009, 12:12 AM
I've ordered a couple of books from VJ before ( signed Patricia Cornwell books ). They seem a good company and the books arrived in pristine condition. I really wish I could afford that Neil Gaiman. Oh well... maybe I'll hit the lottery before they sell out ! :D

Brice
07-29-2009, 02:38 AM
:panic::panic::panic:

I must have Neverwhere.

I think Neil should come to my house and bring me a copy. This seems reasonable to me. :)

Darkmaniscoming
08-13-2009, 08:48 PM
OK so I've ordered my first Gaiman book to see what the hoopla is...I chose "Graveyard book" to start my experience seeing as it just won the newberry...I've just read the entire thread here and man I guess if you like him, you like him a lot....

I didn't really read a whole lot of info here about the books, just that he is great.

Am I starting with the right book, cause i don't want to be swayed by a lot of hype?

And does any body have the S/L of this...?
Is it a good edition?
I was kinda confused by the various printings and wild price ranges?
Whats this one worth realistically?

Thanks

Brice
08-14-2009, 03:04 AM
I've never read that particular book, but what I have read by him I've loved.

Patrick
09-04-2009, 10:23 PM
... By the way, a comic fan and Gaiman fan like you, Pam, really should pick up the Deluxe Edition of "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" The story is cool and the artwork is fantastic. Read the introduction, he talks about why he accepted the project after being out of comic books for so long and he discusses the different art styles in the story and their significance. Also the book contains other Batman stories past that he has written. It's a neat book, even if it isn't signed. :thumbsup:

Patrick - Just ordered it on your recommendation!
Pam, did you read the book? What did you think?

Darkman, what did you think of THE GRAVEYARD BOOK?

Darkmaniscoming
09-05-2009, 05:44 AM
Just one word Patrick....Brilliant!

Liked it so much I bought the S/L .

Just what I need...another expensive habit..:beat:

[quote=Patrick;420672]...

Patrick
09-05-2009, 11:55 PM
Just one word Patrick....Brilliant!

Liked it so much I bought the S/L .

Just what I need...another expensive habit..:beat:

:lol: I had a feeling this might be the result if you liked him. :lol:

Darkmaniscoming
09-06-2009, 05:31 AM
Strange though....my S/L doesn't have a number or PC on the limitation page.
It's blank...never seen any Limited go out the door without something written on the number line...what do you make of this?

Patrick
09-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Strange though....my S/L doesn't have a number or PC on the limitation page.
It's blank...never seen any Limited go out the door without something written on the number line...what do you make of this?
I would recommend asking that question in the "Collecting Questions" thread in the Calvin's Corner because I have no idea.

turtlex
09-09-2009, 06:04 AM
This is great. (http://blog.shelfari.com/my_weblog/2009/09/neil.html) It's an article at Shelfari which features Neil Gaiman's bookshelves!

Ever wonder what Neil is reading himself?!? You can click on the photos to get close-ups... seems we have a Sai King reader in Neil !!!!

Darkmaniscoming
09-09-2009, 06:35 AM
Cool Turtlex..just got into this author a tad late and boy did my heart sink when I saw your list of comic cons and saw that he was in Montreal very recently.....:doh:

turtlex
09-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Neil Gaiman is a legend in the comic world. His stuff is amazing. Sorry you missed a signing opportunity, Dman, that would have been sweet!

Darkmaniscoming
09-09-2009, 07:19 AM
Yes I saw those giant Sandman Leather volumes in T.O. recently and was able to peak through them...quite wild....good thing I didn't have my pick up truck with me or I'd have another hole in my pocket....control Darkman, control, focus, no more expensive habits, control...focus......:panic:

turtlex
09-09-2009, 07:35 AM
Hey Absolute Death is out on October 20th. Looks supercool.

Heather19
09-09-2009, 01:33 PM
This is great. (http://blog.shelfari.com/my_weblog/2009/09/neil.html) It's an article at Shelfari which features Neil Gaiman's bookshelves!

Ever wonder what Neil is reading himself?!? You can click on the photos to get close-ups... seems we have a Sai King reader in Neil !!!!

:drool: I would love to have a little library like that!

I think Neil's a pretty big King fan. I remember listening to an interview with him and he mentioned something about how he loves audiobooks, especially when the author narrates it. He talked about a trip he took cross-country and he brought along a ton of audiobooks to listen to along the way, and many of them were King's. I think his favorite was Bag of Bones.

Patrick
09-10-2009, 10:15 PM

:drool: I would love to have a little library like that!

I think Neil's a pretty big King fan. I remember listening to an interview with him and he mentioned something about how he loves audiobooks, especially when the author narrates it. He talked about a trip he took cross-country and he brought along a ton of audiobooks to listen to along the way, and many of them were King's. I think his favorite was Bag of Bones.
If you do the close-up feature on this photo (http://blog.shelfari.com/.a/6a00d8341e478253ef0120a4e31b1b970b-pi), you can see a bunch of King books on his shelf, Owen King as well.

Thanks for finding that site, Pam!

Darkthoughts
09-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Patrick, don't know if you get the Subterranean Press newsletter, but their next project is a special edition Smoke and Mirrors:

We've just begun the heavy lifting on our next Neil Gaiman limited edition, his classic short story collection, Smoke and Mirrors. Once again, Dave McKean will be designing the book, as he did with The Graveyard Book. For Smoke and Mirrors, Dave will also be contributing original illustrations for each of the stories, 8-10 of them as full color plates, the rest as duotone illustrations to complement the presentation of the book.

Those of you who own our edition of The Graveyard Book know the sort of production you're in for, a lovingly crafted volume meant for the permanent shelf. We're taking the lettered edition a step beyond what we did with Graveyard, having a specially designed box created to hold the book, along with an original sketch by Dave. And that may not be all. We've discussed another extra for the lettered with Neil and Dave, but can't say anything just yet.

All of our other Neil Gaiman titles are sold out. We expect this one to follow suit.

Finally, for the first week or so of ordering, you'll notice we're offering a significant discount on both the limited and lettered editions, to make things a little easier on your pocketbook.

Limited: 500 signed numbered hardcovers: Special Price -- $175

Lettered: 26 signed deluxe bound copies, housed in a custom case: Special Price--$1200

Hannah
09-18-2009, 06:20 AM
Hey Absolute Death (http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-Death-Neil-Gaiman/dp/1401224636/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252510434&sr=8-1) is out on October 20th. Looks supercool.

I want it! I must remember to tell Aaron to buy this for me, otherwise I'll never remember.

candy
09-18-2009, 09:58 AM
oooo a neil gaiman thread, i discovered this chaps books while i was away. i had heard of him as i love the mini series neverwhere. but i read american gods while i was on my hols and loved it

Darkthoughts
09-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Read Anansi Boys next, Candy. It sort of follows on in a tangenty kinda way ;)

Patrick
09-19-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm on that mailing list too, but thanks, Lisa. I've got the signed/limited edition of SMOKE AND MIRRORS on order!

Personally I loved ANANSI BOYS more than AMERICAN GODS.

Darkthoughts
09-21-2009, 12:16 AM

I was the other way round, but on a reread I appreciated Anansi Boys even more than first time round.

Patrick
10-05-2009, 09:42 PM
Patrick, don't know if you get the Subterranean Press newsletter, but their next project is a special edition Smoke and Mirrors:

We've just begun the heavy lifting on our next Neil Gaiman limited edition, his classic short story collection, Smoke and Mirrors. Once again, Dave McKean will be designing the book, as he did with The Graveyard Book. For Smoke and Mirrors, Dave will also be contributing original illustrations for each of the stories, 8-10 of them as full color plates, the rest as duotone illustrations to complement the presentation of the book.

Those of you who own our edition of The Graveyard Book know the sort of production you're in for, a lovingly crafted volume meant for the permanent shelf. We're taking the lettered edition a step beyond what we did with Graveyard, having a specially designed box created to hold the book, along with an original sketch by Dave. And that may not be all. We've discussed another extra for the lettered with Neil and Dave, but can't say anything just yet.

All of our other Neil Gaiman titles are sold out. We expect this one to follow suit.

Finally, for the first week or so of ordering, you'll notice we're offering a significant discount on both the limited and lettered editions, to make things a little easier on your pocketbook.

Limited: 500 signed numbered hardcovers: Special Price -- $175

Lettered: 26 signed deluxe bound copies, housed in a custom case: Special Price--$1200
Don't know how I missed this post earlier. Thanks, Lisa, I received the same email and preordered the limited edition immediately.

I look forward to reading the stories therein.

fernandito
10-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Funny that you bumped this thread Patrick, I just started a re-read of 1602 :)

Patrick
10-05-2009, 11:02 PM
Gah! I need to pick up 1602!

Darkthoughts
10-06-2009, 12:46 AM
I'm on that mailing list too, but thanks, Lisa. I've got the signed/limited edition of SMOKE AND MIRRORS on order!

Don't know how I missed this post earlier. Thanks, Lisa, I received the same email and preordered the limited edition immediately.

I look forward to reading the stories therein.

Pssst, Patrick has senile dementia...pass it on!

:lol:

Patrick
10-07-2009, 12:15 AM
:doh:

darkwolf
10-14-2009, 03:58 PM
1602 was great! Has anyone checked out the Eternals tpb? I dug it. :clap:

turtlex
12-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Hey, Neil Gaiman fans in the Decatur, Georgia area... Neil is appearing/signing on Monday, Dec 14th.

Check out the info at Little Shop of Stories (http://www.littleshopofstories.com/events.php).

Little Shop of Stories is maniacally thrilled to announce that Neil Gaiman will be speaking at co-host Agnes Scott College on Monday, December 14, 2009, at 6 p.m.

fernandito
12-07-2009, 08:42 AM
When is he coming to LA? :(

Brice
12-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Now that's a happy little bookstore. :D I love that they describe themselves as maniacally thrilled. :lol:

turtlex
12-07-2009, 10:20 AM
Feev - I'll keep my eye open for any new Neil announcements. We're not exactly in convention season, so probably there will be more in the spring/summer.

Brice - I loved that, too !!

Patrick
12-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Very cool. Thanks for sharing the info, Pam. You may also want to mention it in Calvin's Corner in the "Other Authors..." thread.

I would love to see Gaiman again. Hope he comes back to the Bay Area soon.

turtlex
12-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Will do, Patrick.

turtlex
12-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Really cool news for all Sandman/Neil Gaiman fans.

Via www.digitalspy.com : ( thanks Jamesey for the heads-up )

Vertigo announces new 'Sandman' editions
Monday, December 21 2009
By Hugh Armitage, Comics Reporter

Vertigo has announced new, re-coloured editions of its legendary series Sandman.

Next year, Vertigo will begin publishing the first books of Neil Gaiman's ten-volume series, remastered and corrected with new covers provided by Sandman cover artist Dave McKean.

The series was initially re-coloured for the four oversized Absolute Sandman editions.

turtlex
01-11-2010, 05:30 AM
Okay, East Coast Neil Gaiman fans ... this looks super cool.

Neil Gaiman narrates Peter and the Wolf
Saturday, January 16, 2010 ~ 7:00pm

World Financial Center: Winter Garden, 220 Vesey Street, New York, NY 10281

Lower Manhattan’s own professional classical music ensemble, The Knickerbocker Chamber Orchestra, continues its second season with a new twist on a classic work and a world premiere! Sergei Prokofiev’s children’s classic, Peter and the Wolf , is given new life when special guest Neil Gaiman, winner of the 2009 Newbery Award and author of Coraline, narrates this tale.

fernandito
01-29-2010, 09:15 AM
I really hope I'm not jinxing it, but here it goes - I might get to go to Neil Gaiman's speaking at UCLA next week ! :excited:

Heather19
01-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Have fun Feev :D

turtlex
02-04-2010, 03:53 AM
Okay, West Coasters --- MR FEEV !!!

Neil is going to be at UCLA tonight!!!

Where: UCLA Live, Royce Hall

Price: $48, 36, 24

When: 8:00pm Thu 2.04.10

Gris
02-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Did anyone know about the S/L Neverwhere that Morrow is publishing this month? ISBN # 9780061964947.

I had no clue we were publishing it, but then I ran into his editor and she told me she had spent the day numbering the limitations page.

turtlex
06-14-2010, 03:58 AM
Some Neil comic news over in the Comic Tower (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?p=519871#post519871) regarding the lawsuit between Neil and Todd McFarlane.

Darkthoughts
06-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Ooooh!
/goes to see.

OchrisO
10-13-2010, 08:30 PM
I really really really really wish I could afford to go to the American Gods Gathering at The House on the Rock sometime:
http://thehouseontherockjournal.blogspot.com/

I bet the costume party will be amazing.

Patrick
10-13-2010, 09:33 PM
I really really really really wish I could afford to go to the American Gods Gathering at The House on the Rock sometime:
http://thehouseontherockjournal.blogspot.com/

I bet the costume party will be amazing.
Holy shit! That will be amazing!

turtlex
11-02-2010, 07:30 AM
Wish I had some money to invest ... VJ Books is having a 2010 end of year sale, and they have copies of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere Limited Edition on sale for $199 ( that's $100 off ! )

Description : Deluxe Limited Numbered Edition, signed by Neil Gaiman, with a full cloth jacket in a fabric-bound slipcase. Includes two-color text and endpapers, and two full-color illustrated spreads. Limited to one of 1000.

http://www.vjbooks.com/Gaiman-Neverwhere-Limited-p/gaineve01-ltd.htm

ELazansky
11-02-2010, 07:41 AM
$200 was the issue price - not really a sale

http://www.amazon.com/Neverwhere-Ltd-Authors-Preferred-Text/dp/0061964948/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1288712506&sr=8-2

turtlex
11-02-2010, 07:42 AM
$200 was the issue price - not really a sale

Really? Oh, man, they had it listed at $299.

Thanks for the heads-up!

OchrisO
03-01-2011, 07:13 PM
I thought this might be of interest to my fellow Neil Gaiman fans:

http://www.theprice-movie.com

Emily
03-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Awesome!!!

mystima
07-01-2011, 03:48 PM
This is to those collecting. I was in the Half Price book store today and in the "Collectors" section was a copy of this, signed by the author for $80.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/49/American_gods.jpg

mystima
09-16-2011, 07:03 PM
this was so cool...did not realize it was him till later today...lol

http://tumblr.com/xbw4q1bw69

JudCrandall
09-17-2011, 06:41 AM
For you Gaiman fans, Barnes and Noble has added American Gods/Anansi Boys to their leatherbound classics library.

ELazansky
09-17-2011, 06:58 AM
And it is a nice addition indeed...

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa411/ELazansky/Books/AG-ABOmnibus.jpg

DoctorDodge
12-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Ok, just finished reading American Gods finally, after reading it on and off for the past few months. Thoughts? A lot of wonderful ideas, and some truly epic storytelling, although I did find it harder connecting to some of the main characters than in the last book of his I read, Anansi Boys (which I found to be an easier read, though that might be to do with the fact that I liked it's mixture of adult fairy tale with distinctly British comedy more). I think that was the only problem I had with it, though. Definitely keen to check out some of Gaiman's other stuff now.

Heather19
12-11-2011, 01:13 PM
You should pick up Stardust and Neverwhere. I think you'd like those.

DoctorDodge
12-11-2011, 01:15 PM
I'm not trusting anything you say after Carnivale! I'm liking it, but I was expecting an incredibly awesome show here! :P

Seriously, I'll check out more of Gaiman's stuff when I have the reading time. Haven't read any King in a while though, so I might check out another of his books. The Sandman's top of the list for next comic series to read, though.

alkanto
12-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Well, what if I tell you to read Neverwhere? It's really good! I'm also loving him book of short stories, Fragile Things.

Yaksha
12-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Neverwhere is amazing James. Trust us.

DoctorDodge
12-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Have you seen the series btw, Yaksha? Is it any good? I heard it let down Gaiman's original vision slightly due to budget, which is why he wrote the novel in the first place. I'm interested in either version, really.

Heather19
12-11-2011, 03:08 PM
I didn't care for the series at all, but the book was excellent :D

Brice
12-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Yes, yes it was. It is what made me love Gaiman.

Yaksha
12-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Haven not been able to find the series but I hear it wasn't that good

Patrick
12-19-2011, 11:18 PM
Ok, just finished reading American Gods finally, after reading it on and off for the past few months. Thoughts? A lot of wonderful ideas, and some truly epic storytelling, although I did find it harder connecting to some of the main characters than in the last book of his I read, Anansi Boys (which I found to be an easier read, though that might be to do with the fact that I liked it's mixture of adult fairy tale with distinctly British comedy more). I think that was the only problem I had with it, though. Definitely keen to check out some of Gaiman's other stuff now.
I read AMERICAN GODS before ANANSI BOYS, but my reaction was the same as yours. I liked ANANSI BOYS better.

Anyway, as they are all recommending, NEVERWHERE is worth putting near the top of your reading list.

Brice
12-20-2011, 01:29 AM
Neverwhere was my first and is still my favorite Gaiman story. :D

DoctorDodge
12-20-2011, 01:58 AM
I read AMERICAN GODS before ANANSI BOYS, but my reaction was the same as yours. I liked ANANSI BOYS better.

Anyway, as they are all recommending, NEVERWHERE is worth putting near the top of your reading list.

So glad it wasn't just me! Neverwhere is definitely going on my "2012 reading list", along with The Sandman series and Good Omens. So much stuff to read and not enough time.

Brice
12-22-2011, 05:44 AM
read faster :D

DoctorDodge
12-22-2011, 08:00 AM
But then, if I go above 30 pages an hour, how will I remember what I'm reading? :unsure:

Darkthoughts
12-22-2011, 01:50 PM
DD you'd probably like the Neverwhere tv series, it's typical BBC budget sci-fi/fantasy. And what are you saying about Carnivale...didn't you like it?!

DoctorDodge
12-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Like I said earlier, I'm liking it, but the way Heather described, I was expecting something amazing. And honestly, my genuine thoughts on it so far after a few eps? It's pretty, almost beautiful to look at, but shallow. All the characters so far come across as rather flat, and the story takes itself way too seriously. Like dark, twisted humour never existed. (Why I love Neil Gaiman's writing: he knows exactly where to include humour where it's needed as well as tragedy and sorrow.) There's little life to it. Even the preacher character, who looked to be at first the most interesting character by far, has become rather two-dimensional. Never do I get a sense of a true struggle of faith, of what's going on in his head as he has these strange visions and powers. It's one of the weaker HBO series I've watched, if I'm honest.

Darkthoughts
12-22-2011, 02:01 PM
I forgot how serious you are about your tv James :D

DoctorDodge
12-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Really? 'Cause these days, there's hardly any tv that I actually watch! :lol: But I'll admit, I'm especially serious when it comes to humour, too, and while I didn't expect Carnivale to be a laugh a minute, I expect some humour from the tv I watch, at least, and Carnivale seemed perfect for some dark, twisted humour from time to time, at least. Ah well. I bought the series 1 set on Heather's word anyway, so I'll keep going through it, although to be honest, it's got a long way to go before matching the Wire, a show that took me a couple of eps to be sure if I liked it or not but is definitely growing on me.

Rjeso
12-28-2011, 01:20 PM
The Neverwhere TV series was all right, but I definitely prefer the book. If you have Netflix streaming, it's worth a look, but I wouldn't seek it out if you have to pay anything extra for it.

So, I got Absolute Sandman Vol II for Christmas this year, and I've already finished it. xD The story has been absolutely amazing so far (but what else can we expect from Gaiman?) and I am totally impatient to get my hands on Vol. III.

Maturins_Daughter
06-17-2012, 07:51 PM
I'm definitely a Gaiman Girl - started with Neverwhere (given to me as a gift), Stardust, & Good Omens. Then moved on to American Gods, Anansi Boys, and the first couple of Sandman GNs. Love his short story collections. Also really liked MirrorMask & Coraline (the movies). His writing style and his storytelling skill are amazing.

The novel Neverwhere actually came after the BBC series - he wanted to expand on the limitations due to cost/time/whatever, so he wrote a much more satisfying book (but I still really enjoyed the tv show).

Jean
06-18-2012, 09:20 AM
Bonnie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope the talk of how to revive the Riddles has brought you back to us

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_inlove.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_inlove.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_inlove.gif

sgc1999
06-18-2012, 10:50 AM
anybody looking to buy a rhyme maiden limited to 50 folio signed limited for $400. Its to big for my bookshelf.

Maturins_Daughter
06-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Bonnie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope the talk of how to revive the Riddles has brought you back to us

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_inlove.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_inlove.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bearmood_inlove.gif

Hello Sweety Jean! :couple:
I didn't notice the riddles thing until I posted here and Brice sent me a message about the riddles forum. I'll try to think of something to post there :)
Good to see you again!

Jean
06-19-2012, 03:07 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Messages/hug00083.gif

Brice
06-21-2012, 12:30 AM

Patrick
07-17-2012, 01:20 PM
For the Sandman fans out there, on the 25th anniversary of the first issue, Gaiman has big news for us:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GndnR7oSYYk&feature=player_embedded

Maturins_Daughter
07-17-2012, 03:51 PM
How awesome is that going to be?? Just over a year, and I know what I'll be buying!

mystima
06-29-2013, 02:29 PM
Six Seasons Planned For HBO's American Gods Adaptation HERE (http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=37958) is the story

Merlin1958
06-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Hmmm, I'll be looking out for this one!!!

cit74
06-29-2013, 03:35 PM
This question was raised last night at the signing - and Neil said you can't believe everything you read on the Internet - he was denying any truth to the rumor

harrison ryan
06-29-2013, 04:57 PM
How awesome is that going to be?? Just over a year, and I know what I'll be buying!

Very awesome, that's how awesome. J. H. Williams III is an EXCELLENT choice.

mae
06-28-2015, 12:44 PM
http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/neil-gaiman-to-write-episodes-of-american-gods-on-starz-1201530032/

Neil Gaiman fans, rejoice! The author himself will be writing episodes for the upcoming Starz series based on his beloved novel “American Gods.”

The show’s producer Bryan Fuller spilled the beans to Collider at the Saturn Awards earlier this week.

“We are cranking away. We’ve got the first two scripts written already,” Fuller said. “It’s wonderful to be working with Neil Gaiman.”

Fuller clarified: “Neil Gaiman is going to be writing episodes of the show,” he said. “It’s going to have scope, as it should.”

Based on the level of fan excitement generated earlier this month when it was announced that the novel would be turned into a Starz series, the reaction to the news of Gaiman’s direct involvement promises to be enthusiastic, to say the least.

The critically celebrated book has been translated into 30 languages and feted with Hugo and Nebula awards, high honors in the fantasy genre.

“I am thrilled, ‎scared, delighted, nervous and a ball of glorious anticipation,” Gaiman said when the series was announced. “The team that is going to bring the world of ‘American Gods’ to the screen has been assembled like the master criminals in a caper movie: I’m relieved and confident that my baby is in good hands.”

St. Troy
01-29-2020, 10:33 AM
Question for the Gaiman fans out there (I should say eventually I have a question for you; first, this explanatory ramble):

For years, I'd been intrigued about Gaiman and wanted to read some, as I like fantasy and his name kept popping up. However, the few titles for which I actually saw a description definitely did not strike me as being things I would like (example: Good Omens, which seemed to include lots of humor, and American Gods, which seems either humorous or just really out-there).

Eventually, my daughter got The Ocean At The End Of The Lane, which disappointed her (she didn't think it was bad, but had expected more). Now having a copy of some Gaiman close at hand, I borrowed it and enjoyed it immensely. I then knew I had to try out a novel-length Gaiman work.

After the passing of another "eventually," I got Neverwhere , which I'm reading now. I am enjoying it, but it has far more humor than I'd expected.

[Humor parenthetical: I like humor, enjoy Douglas Adams and Eoin Colfer, but it's just not really a focus of mine.]

My question: does he have anything that is more "serious" (as in not humorous) fantasy? I may yet enjoy things like Good Omens and American Gods, but I'd like to dive into something serious of his, if it exists.

cit74
01-30-2020, 01:29 PM
Question for the Gaiman fans out there (I should say eventually I have a question for you; first, this explanatory ramble):

For years, I'd been intrigued about Gaiman and wanted to read some, as I like fantasy and his name kept popping up. However, the few titles for which I actually saw a description definitely did not strike me as being things I would like (example: Good Omens, which seemed to include lots of humor, and American Gods, which seems either humorous or just really out-there).

Eventually, my daughter got The Ocean At The End Of The Lane, which disappointed her (she didn't think it was bad, but had expected more). Now having a copy of some Gaiman close at hand, I borrowed it and enjoyed it immensely. I then knew I had to try out a novel-length Gaiman work.

After the passing of another "eventually," I got Neverwhere , which I'm reading now. I am enjoying it, but it has far more humor than I'd expected.

[Humor parenthetical: I like humor, enjoy Douglas Adams and Eoin Colfer, but it's just not really a focus of mine.]

My question: does he have anything that is more "serious" (as in not humorous) fantasy? I may yet enjoy things like Good Omens and American Gods, but I'd like to dive into something serious of his, if it exists.

I would say American gods then Anansi boys - would be of the more "serious" in nature of gaimans books. Stardust is great and quick, more tongue in cheek than the other two. Good omens is more "humorous" in my mind - but one of my favorites. But I enjoy all of his books, everyone in my family has read most of them, I read them with my son, etc, etc, etc. To new, younger fans (or any age I should say) - I would go with Coraline, stardust, graveyard book (one of my favorites). And - I guess I mentioned a bunch already...

St. Troy
01-30-2020, 05:13 PM
American Gods, eh? That seemed like one of the humorous ones, but I’ll give it a shot. Thanks.

DoctorDodge
11-20-2020, 03:06 PM
So, me and my girlfriend just finished listening to Audible's full-cast audio adaptation of The Sandman. And all I can say is...wow. They've only adapted a quarter of the story so far (I believe they've directly adapted the first 20 issues), but based on the series so far, I certainly hope that they adapt the rest. It was extremely well-cast (James MacAvoy was so good as Morpheus, I actually had no clue it was him until the end), and the sound design and music were both amazing. Definitely planning on checking out the graphic novels, but I really hope that they do more, as this was a real audio favorite from 2020.

herbertwest
11-22-2020, 03:03 AM
I didn't know that Neil Gaiman had gotten Easton Press to do him a personal 100 copies print of "Neverwhere"!
He has put one of his copies at auctions... currently at 4.5k !

It's here => https://www.32auctions.com/organizations/74830/auctions/92335/auction_items/2643663

https://assets.32auctions.com/pics/4922148/EnYnwtPXcAATc-Z.jpeg?v=20201121235623

cit74
11-22-2020, 06:48 AM
Very cool; but I’m fine w my EP signed neverwhere…far less than 4500 w 2 days still to go

DoctorDodge
07-22-2021, 06:30 AM
The latest news on Audible’s Sandman adaptation: ‘The Sandman: Act II’ on Audible Premiere Date Set, James McAvoy Returns to Lead Star-Studded Cast (https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/sandman-act-ii-audible-premiere-date-james-mcavoy-returns-cast-1235024922/)

I’m definitely excited about this. Act I was a fantastic series. Great performances and well produced. I’m especially excited about John Lithgow appearing in this.

cit74
07-22-2021, 08:47 AM
The latest news on Audible’s Sandman adaptation: ‘The Sandman: Act II’ on Audible Premiere Date Set, James McAvoy Returns to Lead Star-Studded Cast (https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/sandman-act-ii-audible-premiere-date-james-mcavoy-returns-cast-1235024922/)

I’m definitely excited about this. Act I was a fantastic series. Great performances and well produced. I’m especially excited about John Lithgow appearing in this.

Thanks for link - btw ACT I is now free for US customers on Audible - until October - just goto your amazon account and search for it...seriously - FREE...

DoctorDodge
07-22-2021, 08:59 AM
Yeah, I noticed that. Definitely worth it if you haven’t checked it out yet.