PDA

View Full Version : Subterranean Press discussion thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

wizardsrainbow
07-21-2008, 04:02 AM
News just in from Subterranean Press:

Celebrating 50 Years of Hard Case Crime!

Okay, not really. But what if, instead of having been founded 50 books ago, Hard Case Crime had been founded 50 years ago, by a rascal out to make a quick buck off the popularity of pulp fiction? Such a fellow might make a few enemies-especially after publishing a supposed non-fiction account of a heist at a Mob-run nightclub, actually penned by an 18-year-old showgirl. With both the cops and the crooks after them, our heroes are about to learn that reading and writing pulp novels is a lot more fun than living them...

Fifty-to-One will feature a full color signature page, plus full color endsheets depicting the 49 previous books in the Hard Case Crime Series.

In addition, each chapter of Fifty-to-One bears the title of a previous Hard Case Crime book, including such gems as Lucky at Cards (Lawrence Block), Lemons Never Lie (Richard Stark), The Colorado Kid (Stephen King), and Gun Work (David J. Schow), among others.

Fifty-to-One will be published in December in two unique editions: 500 cloth bound copies signed by the author, Charles Ardai, and a deluxe limited edition of 50 lavishly bound copies, housed in a handmade traycase, with over twenty full-color signature pages for most of the Hard Case Crime Authors, each hand-tipped in front of the chapter that bears the title of one of their books.

Limited: 500 numbered copies signed by the author: $45

Deluxe: 50 copies, custom bound in leather and cloth, housed in a handmade traycase: $750

Thus far the following authors have agreed to sign the fifty copy deluxe edition:
- Richard Aleas/Charles Ardai
- Lawrence Block
- Ken Bruen
- Max Allan Collins
- Christa Faust
- Allan Guthrie
- Pete Hamill
- Russell Hill
- Stephen King
- John Lange
- Peter Pavia
- Max Phillips
- David J. Schow
- Seymour Shubin
- Domenic Stansberry
- Donald Westlake
- Jason Starr

One final note: Half of the profits from the deluxe edition will be donated to The Haven Foundation.

carlosdetweiller
07-21-2008, 04:08 AM
You were on this one early, David. I ordered my copy within 6 minutes of receiving the e-mail. I came to this site to post the link and you had already done so. Good going.

gsvec
07-21-2008, 04:08 AM
Just got that email, too, Wiz. Would love love LOVE to get one of those deluxe limiteds, but $750 is kinda steep! Good news is that half the profits go to The Haven Foundation - making my debate even tougher!!

jhanic
07-21-2008, 04:09 AM
Here's the link:

Fifty-to-One (http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ardai1&Category_Code=PRE&Product_Count=0)

John

wizardsrainbow
07-21-2008, 04:17 AM
You were on this one early, David. I ordered my copy within 6 minutes of receiving the e-mail. I came to this site to post the link and you had already done so. Good going.

Welcome-
I can't bring myself to buy it though :cry:.

Cutter
07-21-2008, 05:02 AM

Welcome-
I can't bring myself to buy it though :cry:.
I had to pass. Too rich for my blood for just a sig. I think I'll buy the Limited, though, because I like the book.

herbertwest
07-21-2008, 05:56 AM
i dont really get what it is...
from the description, it sounds like a NOVEL whom chapters are entitled as already existing novels, including The Colorado Kid...?
and signed by the authors of the names of the chapter/novels.... ???

tippy4
07-21-2008, 06:02 AM

One final note: Half of the profits from the deluxe edition will be donated to The Haven Foundation.

Very clever on the part of Sub Press.

They tell King that if he signs it, they will give half of the profits to THF.

King's signature enables them the quadruple the price, so in the end, they are still making money.

arghhhh...I am on the fence for this one...I already have the Potter and Miller S/L verisions of The Colorado Kid put out by PS Publishing...and planned to eventually buy the Chadbourne version some day.....do I really need a fourth one??

I think this is going to have to join the ranks of Dandelion Wine (the last book I passed on).

jhanic
07-21-2008, 06:04 AM
Only the $750 edition is going to be signed by the various authors, including King. The $45 edition is to be signed only by the author (Charles Ardai?). (That's the one that I ordered. I just can't justify a $750 price for a King signature.)

John

Nerak
07-21-2008, 06:17 AM
Tippy, you can buy it and give it to me :D

Randall Flagg
07-21-2008, 06:23 AM
Sorry. $750 is too much for me.

tippy4
07-21-2008, 06:27 AM

Sure...why not?

:clap: Wake Up Karen! You're Dreaming!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
07-21-2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the heads up Wiz. I never got the email.

Thanks for the link John. I've ordered one.

tippy4
07-21-2008, 07:52 AM
Well, I wrestled with this for 2 hours, but the insane half of me won the match and I just ordered a Deluxe Edition.

You know...for $750, they should include a numbered edition for free!

That makes three sold to members of this site. They probably still have 47 available! :rofl:

Randall Flagg
07-21-2008, 09:06 AM
I spent the $45, but Christ!, you don't even get a new story from King, I just am at a point where I know I will never have all of King's S/l books. The ones I am missing-including this one are not what I want to spend 50K on. I'm at peace with that.

wizardsrainbow
07-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Similar to RF, I have finally come to terms with the fact that I will never own it all (even Bob will admit that), but there was a time when I thought I had to own all that I could find. Thankfully, that madness has passed.

Ari_Racing
07-21-2008, 09:15 AM
I didn't order any yet. If some copies remain available when I return from my trip, I might go for the $45 one

tippy4
07-21-2008, 09:32 AM
from the description, it sounds like a NOVEL whom chapters are entitled as already existing novels, including The Colorado Kid...?

I too am confused.

Is this an anothology of all the stories, or are the story titles just the NAMES of the chapters?

I guess what I am asking is...is the story The Colorado Kid in the book...or is The Colorado Kid just the name of one of the chapters?

lophophoras
07-21-2008, 09:36 AM

I too am confused.

Is this an anothology of all the stories, or are the story titles just the NAMES of the chapters?

I guess what I am asking is...is the story The Colorado Kid in the book...or is The Colorado Kid just the name of one of the chapters?

I was wondering the same thing.

I am tempted to get the deluxe since half is going to The Haven Foundation.

Cutter
07-21-2008, 09:45 AM

Very clever on the part of Sub Press.

They tell King that if he signs it, they will give half of the profits to THF.

King's signature enables them the quadruple the price, so in the end, they are still making money.
Anytime there is a big name author by Sub Press they jack up the price. You'll get the same book as a $200 Lettered Edition by another author. I can't figure out if it costs Sub press that much money to get a better known author, or is it because Sub Press wants to cash in on the name?

Randall Flagg
07-21-2008, 09:48 AM
I am tempted to get the deluxe since half is going to The Haven Foundation.
Keep in mind that half of the profits go to The Haven Foundation. Not half of the gross sales. It is a great cause don't get me wrong, I just think there is a bit of a difference between the two.

Bev Vincent
07-21-2008, 09:56 AM
My understanding is that this is a crime novel by Ardai that pays homage to several HCC titles by using them as chapter names.

tippy4
07-21-2008, 10:35 AM
So I am paying $750 for a book that has no actual Stephen King material in it?

Maybe I should cancel my order and buy Dandelion Wine instead...at least King wrote the introduction! :panic:

Or better yet, buy one of the $150 signed bookplates Stephen King is selling for the Tom Allen fundraiser, and stick it in the $45 version of this book! :P

herbertwest
07-21-2008, 11:11 AM
My understanding is that this is a crime novel by Ardai that pays homage to several HCC titles by using them as chapter names.

thanks for explaining.
so, it just doesnt interest me at all honnestly... i dont see the point of that
(of course maybe the novel will be interesting but..)

Brice
07-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Not having read anything by Ardai I can't see myself spending $45 to see if I like him or not...and definitely not $750 for a book SK isn't actually in at all???

Nerak
07-21-2008, 12:31 PM

Sure...why not?

:clap: Wake Up Karen! You're Dreaming!

A girl can dream, can't she?!?!? :D

shnnrc01
07-21-2008, 01:15 PM
yep 1),i agree brice,i just cant justify it. 2) im with you wiz,i think the madness has passed.-wife breathes a sigh!!

Pasiuk57
07-21-2008, 06:21 PM
I have pretty much all of King's signed limiteds (and most lettered editions) and I'm passing on this also. I was tempted but in the end, common sense won out. Think of how inexpensive Postscripts 10 was for both King and Joe Hill's signatures!!
I hate to miss out but have to draw the line somewhere.

Patrick
07-21-2008, 08:51 PM
I received the email this morning and quickly decided to pass. $750 is way too steep for a simple signature with no writing contribution (neither intro nor story).

Donating half the profits to The Haven Foundation is commendable for sure, but at a high $750 cover price, I'd be far more impressed with half the revenue going to Haven.

The King connection (a chapter named after a King book, and a picture of a King book along with 48 other non-King books on the endpapers) is too tenuous for even the $45 version to get much of a response from me. I'll probably just wait to see if they ever issue a trade edition.

Room 217 Caretaker
07-22-2008, 02:54 AM
I passed on this one as well. $200-300? Maybe....but $750 didn't feel right for some reason. Good GOD, I must be coming to my senses.

Hello Everyone....I'm Ralph.....(hello Ralph)....I collect King. :panic:

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Sir_Boomme
07-22-2008, 05:36 AM
i'm passing on this one totally. i mean, king isn't even writing a foreward for it is he?
way way to much money for me for just a king signature (which can be obtained a lot cheaper elsewhere).
since i've never read Charles Ardai - and thus i'm not a fan of his... (might be different if i were) - i can't even justify it that way.
IMHO: from the sounds of it... this isn't a signed stephen king limited or even really a signed stephen king related book- it's someone else's book that happens to be signed by king. definitely not worth the 750.00 - i'll save that and buy a real stephen king limited with it.

i see this as a test... will people pay outragous sums of money for anything simply because a brand name is attached to it? this "people" won't.

Cutter
07-22-2008, 05:54 AM
The King connection (a chapter named after a King book, and a picture of a King book along with 48 other non-King books on the endpapers) is too tenuous for even the $45 version to get much of a response from me. I'll probably just wait to see if they ever issue a trade edition.
I would assume Patrick that this book will still be published in mass market paperback form. The Limited is just a special edition because it's the 50th book.

Cutter
07-22-2008, 05:55 AM
I passed on this one as well. $200-300? Maybe....but $750 didn't feel right for some reason. Good GOD, I must be coming to my senses.

Hello Everyone....I'm Ralph.....(hello Ralph)....I collect King. :panic:

Mulleins
Cumberland VA
lol :lol:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
07-22-2008, 09:50 AM
I can understand why some will not pay for this signed limited, but you do get quite a bit for your money, whether it's a King book or not.

$750 for a large leather bound book with full colour plates, loads of pages of signatures and a hand made case. Every signed limited book is great quality and looks great on the shelf.

On the other hand you could spend $175 on a single slip of paper called a bookplate with a signature on it and a message about a political candidate that will be obscure in 5 years. I have no idea if anyone would display that.

I am buying it because I buy all King signed limited books. This is limited to 50 and I would kick myself in years to come if I didn't buy it at list price. All the King S/Lds I own have been purchased at many times the original price.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

tippy4
07-22-2008, 10:54 AM
After a lot of consideration, I decided to cancel my order for this. The are other items on my wish-list that I would much rather have. It is rare for me to pass on a new S/L (I think the only one I have passed on is Dandelion Wine in recent years) but I just have not felt good about this purchase since I made it....especially since I realized there was no actual King material in it.

Furthermore, I am very confident that this book will join the ranks of those that will actually be selling for less than the issue price on the secondary market like Dandelion Wine, The Colorado Kid and The Green Mile. I may consider picking one up at a later date if this happens.

Randall Flagg
07-22-2008, 01:12 PM
Mr. Rabbit Trick, I am very happy for you. You obviously are in a very good position, given not only the dolllar weakness vs. the Pound, but other factors in your favor.
It is only a 1/50, and I am sure it will sell out, but I have no desire myself to own it.
That being said, I'm happy for you.:excited:

Patrick
07-22-2008, 04:28 PM
I agree. I look forward to Mr. RT posting pics of his book someday and making us all a wee bit jealous that we don't have one.

Dolan
07-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Wow. $750. I dunno - thats a bit much for a Stephen King signature and a bunch of authors I don't know.

Sure its a leather book with plates and all - but you can get a book from Easton Press with a great signature for under $100.

shnnrc01
07-23-2008, 12:41 PM
i wonder how long it takes to sell out -if it even does at all. i reckon it'll go the way of TOM GORDON. copies will turn up a lot cheaper than the publishers price. even dandelion wine was selling for $100 cheaper 1 month after it "sold out".

Rahfa
07-23-2008, 01:37 PM
I won't be buying it, but I look at it two ways...

First, I'm sure it will be a really neat presentatoion and unique appearance...Sub press does a good job, and for the money and the limitation it will be really good. I have no problem with the price, considering there are only 50 of them

But....this is just a King signature sheet, and it seems exactly like the type of limited that King himself railed against a few years back about how the book was nothing but an excuse to have a signature...so I get the donation to Haven and all that, but as a product, it is a bit of a money grab...but since only 50 people actually get to own one, it's still going to be very exclusive...

A lot of neat sigs though, so it isn't like it's just King...it's got plusses and minuses...

Randall Flagg
12-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Has this been published yet?
P.S. I noticed 1/2 the "profits' are to be donated to The Haven Foundation.

Ves'Ka Gan
12-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Wow. $750. I dunno - thats a bit much for a Stephen King signature and a bunch of authors I don't know.

Sure its a leather book with plates and all - but you can get a book from Easton Press with a great signature for under $100.

Kind of the reasoning I have for not really even thinking twice about this one. I have a wish-list a mile long and thinking of all the "need its" on my list, $750 could go a long way (or a short way toward a great peice). As for the 500 set...I don't really read the Hard Case books, so it would make little to no sense for me to eve ngo for the $45 edition.

Too bad, I am stil lin want of a signed King novel, but alas, I want it to be a KING novel! [:P]

Besides...I have suspicions that a signed King may be appearing under my Christmas tree--let's all cross our fingers, k?

Patrick
01-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Bumping this thread for Sir Boomme and anyone else who may have missed it.

lophophoras
01-05-2009, 06:26 AM
Did anybody order this? When is it being published?

jhanic
01-05-2009, 06:30 AM
I'm sure there are some out there who've ordered the deluxe copy, but to me $750 is a high price for just a King signature.

John

lophophoras
01-05-2009, 06:50 AM
I ordered the regular limited edition signed by the author and was just wondering when I should expect it to be shipped. I was under the impression that it was being published back in December.

Cutter
01-05-2009, 08:09 AM
I ordered the regular limited edition signed by the author and was just wondering when I should expect it to be shipped. I was under the impression that it was being published back in December.

I ordered the regular Limited Edition myself (no King sig), and they haven't published this one yet. I also haven't seen it in any of the recent Sub Press updates. My guess is February at the earliest for a release date.

Sir_Boomme
01-06-2009, 08:27 AM
i think i remember reading about this one when it was first announced, saw the 750.00 price, decided it was to much for a story i didn't even like....dismissed the prospect of purchasing it, and wiped it from my memory so that i wouldn't remember that there is a limited king book that i won't own.... all this done in about 5 seconds.

damn... now i remember (thanks dammit), and now still don't want to buy it... but now depressed with my decision.:cry:

Ari_Racing
01-06-2009, 10:29 AM
I have one ARC signed by the author, but I was unable to read it so far. I plan to do that in a week or two.

Randall Flagg
01-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Received the trade of this today.

Patrick
01-20-2009, 10:06 PM
What is your impression?

jhanic
01-21-2009, 04:44 AM
I got mine last week (#39) and it seems to be a very nice production. I haven't read it yet.

John

Randall Flagg
01-21-2009, 07:23 AM
What is your impression?
I received #32. As John said, it's a nice production, fully bound in brown cloth. I can't imagine what they did (besides King's sig) to make the deluxe worth $750. I look forward to seeing one.

Randall Flagg
03-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Any news on the King signed version?

Randall Flagg
10-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Is this (S/L) a dead project?

gsvec
10-10-2009, 01:25 PM
No, it's still on. As a matter of fact, I cancelled my order just yesterday.

tippy4
10-10-2009, 03:08 PM
So it is 1.25 years after the announcement, and no S/L yet?

What are they trying to do...give CD some competition?

:wtf:

gsvec
10-10-2009, 03:17 PM
So it is 1.25 years after the announcement, and no S/L yet?

What are they trying to do...give CD some competition?

:wtf:
If that's their goal, they're doing a FINE job of it!

Patrick
10-10-2009, 05:45 PM
What? The S/L has not yet been released? I had no idea.

I just bought the trade edition on eBay from Sub. Press recently.

DavidK44
10-10-2009, 06:31 PM
From a conversation I had with Bill Schafer a while ago, it sounds like the hardest part often is getting all of the signatures together for these anthology books. Single signature books aren't hard, but when there's a lot of authors involved, there's invariably one or two who really hold up the process. Plus, there's just a lot of lag time in shipping the signature plates to one after another author...

Another example - the final hardcover signed issue of the print magazine 'Subterranean' hasn't shipped, although it's been more than a year since SubPress switched it to an online-only version.

Regards, David

gsvec
10-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Bill had mentioned to me that they were waiting for the traycases.

Centipede
10-12-2009, 04:44 PM
If you are tired of waiting 1.25 years for a King signature on a book, try out my Knowing Darkness: Artists Inspired by Stephen King, which is not signed by King but by 33 artists, including Michael Whelan, Bernie Wrightson, Mark Ryden, Dave McKean, and many other top people. This book was done on budget, on time, and will be shipping in mid to late November, and that very close to the original schedule.Plus the sig sheets are sewn in, not tipped, and the book itself is an awesome 14 x 20 x 6 with printed suede covers and a printed traycase and an extra 13 x 19 book of large prints -- all for $895. Deal of the century!

Jerad

Nerak
10-13-2009, 05:19 AM
Jared, nice plug! LOL

tippy4
10-13-2009, 07:14 AM
Wow...that was a shameless plug....:clap:

Cutter
10-13-2009, 11:35 AM
Just to point out Sub Press has been doing a Cemetery Dance with all of their Lettered Editions. I finally just got Ray Bradbury's lettereds of Skeletons and Moby Dick just last week, about a year after the limiteds were released. And I am waiting on a couple of Charles de Lint lettereds that have been over a year since their limiteds were published. I guess Sub Press has been catching up, but they have been verrrrrrryyyy slow this past year with the Lettereds.

Room 217 Caretaker
10-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Just to point out Sub Press has been doing a Cemetery Dance with all of their Lettered Editions. I finally just got Ray Bradbury's lettereds of Skeletons and Moby Dick just last week, about a year after the limiteds were released. And I am waiting on a couple of Charles de Lint lettereds that have been over a year since their limiteds were published. I guess Sub Press has been catching up, but they have been verrrrrrryyyy slow this past year with the Lettereds.

You are correct. I paid in 2007 for my Lettered Joe Hill Locke & Key and no sign of it. :doh: I even paid for the 2nd lettered release of Locke & Key: Head Games a few months ago without even seeing the first one. :cyclops:

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

Patrick
10-13-2009, 01:21 PM
We're going to start calling you, "Double-Down Ralph."

Clacke
10-14-2009, 03:53 AM

Coincidentally, this snippet of information has just been post on the Sub Press

We’ve been fairly quiet about this, as we wanted everything sorted out before stringing our customers along again, but our traycase supplier went out of business owing us many thousands of dollars and hundreds of cases. We placed an order with the manufacturer our friend Jim Seels at ASAP Publishing uses, as well as our other regular supplier Judi Conant, and are happy to say that the following cases have just finished shipping
There follows a list of twelve titles, including a Charles De Lint, (though fifty-to-one is not included).
Looks like the backlog of lettereds is starting to move.

tippy4
11-03-2010, 06:53 PM
It has been a year since anyone posted in this thread...did the SL of this book ever get released?

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-03-2010, 11:27 PM
It has been a year since anyone posted in this thread...did the SL of this book ever get released?

I emailed them on 8 February 2010 and got this short reply next day:

Hi.
This is one of the next 2-3 jobs our traycase manufacturer is working on.
Best,
Bill

They have published dozens of books since.

thegreattim
11-11-2010, 06:30 AM

I emailed them on 8 February 2010 and got this short reply next day:

Hi.
This is one of the next 2-3 jobs our traycase manufacturer is working on.
Best,
Bill

They have published dozens of books since.

Not necessarily dozens of traycased books though? They've been moving steadily (though 2-3 months behind in a lot of cases) on the limiteds, it just seems to be the lettered traycases that are holding up the line. From what I understand, anyway.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-25-2011, 07:38 AM
Got my deluxe slipcased S/L 13/50 today...

http://www.akyle.f2s.com/images/fifty.jpg

http://www.akyle.f2s.com/images/fifty_1.jpg

http://www.akyle.f2s.com/images/fifty_2.jpg

Randall Flagg
01-25-2011, 08:13 AM
Gorgeous. Did King sign in gold ink?

Tito_Villa
01-25-2011, 08:23 AM
The red leather is proper nice!

Mr. Rabbit Trick
01-25-2011, 08:45 AM
Gorgeous. Did King sign in gold ink?

Nah. Just the usual type of black pen he ofter uses.

shnnrc01
01-25-2011, 11:15 AM
really nice!

carlosdetweiller
01-25-2011, 11:56 AM
It does look nice. This book was LONG delayed and I never really knew why. I hope my copy shows up soon.

tippy4
01-25-2011, 07:32 PM
I had one of these on order for about 24 hours when this was announced 2-1/2 years ago.

After I realized there was nothing by King in the book other than his signature, I cancelled my order.

Even though there were only 50 made, the book still appears to be available.

It's a good looking book.....I'm actually kicking around the idea of ordering one!

Patrick
01-26-2011, 01:33 AM
That book looks beautiful. Congrats, Mr. R. T.

carlosdetweiller
01-26-2011, 04:48 AM
I got mine yesterday. I haven't looked it over completely yet but I wish there was a table of contents. That would make it easier to find certain signatures. One pleasant surprise was seeing that the late Michael Crichton had signed as "John Lange." Lange was an early pseudonym of his and Hard Case Crime published some of his early novels as PBOs.

thegreattim
01-26-2011, 07:31 AM
That's pretty cool! I always enjoyed MC despite his reputation as a hack. That they got him to sign as Lange (and obtained said sig pages before his unfortunate untimely passing) is pretty cool. Paired with the King signature, I'd say this book is getting somewhat near (but not close enough yet for me anyway) to justify that price tag.

Randall Flagg
01-26-2011, 07:39 AM
Half the profits from the Deluxe are being donated to The Haven Foundation!

ELazansky
01-26-2011, 12:34 PM
From Camelot Books today:

Fifty-to-One By Charles Ardai
"Deluxe: 50 copies, custom bound in a different cloth, housed in a handmade traycase and signed by the above authors - published price $750.00/newsletter special price $650.00 plus shipping for a limited time"

tippy4
01-26-2011, 04:18 PM
So last night, I filled out my order to Sub Press, but I never pulled the trigger.

Today, I get an email from Camelot saying they are selling them for $100 less.

I grabbed one!

I might be able to get it cheaper in a year or two...but I am willing to take the risk.

jhanic
01-26-2011, 05:33 PM
To me, it's still to much to pay for just a King signature.

John

tippy4
01-26-2011, 06:40 PM
Yeah it is...but the $100 below publisher's price left me helpless to decline.

tippy4
02-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Just received my copy of this.

Anybody else have an issue with the book fitting so tightly inside of the traycase that it is difficult to get out?

I am wondering if I should complain.

carlosdetweiller
02-16-2011, 02:47 AM

Anybody else have an issue with the book fitting so tightly inside of the traycase that it is difficult to get out?

Yes, mine fits very tightly. Not sure how complaining will help though.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
02-16-2011, 04:39 AM
Mine fits tightly too. Now that I have taken a photograph, it will be stored away, never to see the light of day again. So it doesn't matter how tight it is.

tippy4
02-16-2011, 06:41 PM

Yes, mine fits very tightly. Not sure how complaining will help though.

Mine fits so tightly it is difficult to get in and out of the case.

The book is going to get rub-damage after a few more tries.

For a book that the publisher charged $750, I expect a better fit.

Randall Flagg
02-16-2011, 07:00 PM
I agree with you. I have a lettered (numbered?) "The Hollow Man"-Dan Simmons, by Lord John Press. The book has been significantly rubbed and damaged by R&R only a few times. That should not happen.
Until, if the issue is resolved, I suggest that you leave the book out of the case and do not attempt to reinsert it.

Randall Flagg
11-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Should this book be listed in The Catalog?

Robert Fulman
11-29-2011, 10:22 AM
It's a pretty unique item, given that it has a King sig but no actual King content. I say that if the Cujo Guitar can be in the catalog, this book should be as well. It seems like there are still copies of the deluxe edition available. If I had $750 and nothing to spend it on, I'd go for it.

Randall Flagg
11-29-2011, 10:27 AM
It's a pretty unique item, given that it has a King sig but no actual King content. I say that if the Cujo Guitar can be in the catalog, this book should be as well. It seems like there are still copies of the deluxe edition available. If I had $750 and nothing to spend it on, I'd go for it.
I would be happy to include it if people think it should be in there. Images for the Catalog would be needed.
Hopefully others will chime in here.

divemaster
11-29-2011, 11:09 AM
It's a pretty unique item, given that it has a King sig but no actual King content. I say that if the Cujo Guitar can be in the catalog, this book should be as well.

I concur.

ChristineB
11-29-2011, 12:07 PM
It's a pretty unique item, given that it has a King sig but no actual King content. I say that if the Cujo Guitar can be in the catalog, this book should be as well.

I agree.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
11-29-2011, 01:37 PM

I agree.

My thoughts exactly.

Patrick
11-29-2011, 09:03 PM

I agree.

My thoughts exactly.
I say yes as well.

Shannon
11-29-2011, 10:48 PM
I just found out about this because of the bumped thread. Of course this should be added! Anything that is a signed limited edition with King's signature should be in the collectibles catalog. Not like a "Oh, he signed roughly thirty books at this obscure bookstore in this obscure town" thing, but a specific project where he was involved? Definitely.

evilash
11-30-2011, 03:54 AM
Agreed.

Robert Fulman
11-30-2011, 05:39 AM
I came across this book a couple of weeks ago because I was trying to put together a list of Lawrence Block S/Ls; I noticed that SK also signed and thought it was odd that it wasn't in the catalog.

Randall Flagg
11-30-2011, 06:47 AM
I entered it in the Catalog yesterday. Thanks to Mr. Rabbit Trick for images.

Shannon
11-30-2011, 07:47 PM
Thank you Crowman :)

Tony
07-12-2012, 07:51 PM
I didn't see a thread for this even though I looked around for a while, so I thought I'd create one. If I missed it feel free to merge.

I thought that maybe Subpress deserved its own thread because they have published SK and SK-related books before, and some of us do collect non-SK books.

Also, and I'll toot my own horn here a bit: we recently launched the new website after lots and lots of hard work. It sports a brand new design and e-commerce system which immediately allows for a better user experience while ordering, and over the long term will allow us to add features :) The clean and memorable URLs that are much-improved over the previous system also don't hurt when it comes to SEO. I could go on but I'll stop :D

They recently pulled out a few copies of the Hill House Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman (http://subterraneanpress.com/store/product_detail/anansi_boys1) and they recently posted a long-awaited update on Neil Gaiman's Smoke and Mirrors (http://subterraneanpress.com/news/special_neil_gaiman_update).

ur2ndbiggestfan
07-13-2012, 01:46 AM
I love Sub Press. I order all their Jack Vance books, and others as well.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
07-13-2012, 02:50 AM
We do not have threads for specific publishers. There are too many for that.

There is a thread for Cemetery Dance, but that was started because the members here were frustrated and angry because of the business practices of CD at that time. They have since improved and now use that thread to answer queries and advertise their products.

I have several Subterranean Press books myself. Mostly the high end Lettered editions.

carlosdetweiller
07-13-2012, 03:58 AM
We do not have threads for specific publishers. There are too many for that.

There is a thread for Cemetery Dance, but that was started because the members here were frustrated and angry because of the business practices of CD at that time. They have since improved and now use that thread to answer queries and advertise their products.

The CD thread is useful for the many questions customers have regarding products but I often feel that a simple e-mail to CD is a more appropriate way of getting the same information. Lately it has been used to advertise non-King related products which I don't think is the purpose of this forum. If the mods allow CD to have a thread in which they advertise all of their new releases (King or non-King) then it would be only right that another publisher be granted the same rights. And, as has been discussed in the past, if the thread is not popular and doesn't get frequent posts then it will sink to the end of the list anyway.

WeDealInLead
07-13-2012, 04:16 AM
I generally like them but some of their signed editions are pretty disappointing. When the only difference is the signature page and cloth vs. leather(ette?), that doesn't really justify the price. That they do soooo many reprints bugs me too but they do respond to emails right away and deliver on time so they'll always have my support. I just wish some of their $75/125 limiteds would have at least an illustration or two, if not a slipcase.

ELazansky
07-13-2012, 04:51 AM
I didn't see a thread for this even though I looked around for a while, so I thought I'd create one. If I missed it feel free to merge.

I thought that maybe Subpress deserved its own thread because they have published SK and SK-related books before, and some of us do collect non-SK books.

Also, and I'll toot my own horn here a bit: we recently launched the new website after lots and lots of hard work. It sports a brand new design and e-commerce system which immediately allows for a better user experience while ordering, and over the long term will allow us to add features :) The clean and memorable URLs that are much-improved over the previous system also don't hurt when it comes to SEO. I could go on but I'll stop :D

They recently pulled out a few copies of the Hill House Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman (http://subterraneanpress.com/store/product_detail/anansi_boys1) and they recently posted a long-awaited update on Neil Gaiman's Smoke and Mirrors (http://subterraneanpress.com/news/special_neil_gaiman_update).

They are selling Anansi Boys without the matching copy of Notebooks, so although it is nice, it is incomplete.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
07-13-2012, 05:15 AM
If the mods allow CD to have a thread in which they advertise all of their new releases (King or non-King) then it would be only right that another publisher be granted the same rights.

Totally agree, but personally I would not allow any "unpaid for" advertising.

Tony
07-13-2012, 07:12 AM
If the mods allow CD to have a thread in which they advertise all of their new releases (King or non-King) then it would be only right that another publisher be granted the same rights.

Totally agree, but personally I would not allow any "unpaid for" advertising.

I agree with all of this. No one from Subpress is going to be here posting news about upcoming releases. I just wanted to create a place for discussion specifically for Subpress books, and if we, as members, saw a book that might be worth talking about we can do so here. Smoke and Mirrors has been in production for so long, and will be signed and have original artwork by Dave Mckean I thought it would be good to make other collectors aware of it.

I'm not acting on behalf of Subpress or anything of the like.

Randall Flagg
07-13-2012, 10:43 AM
I see no problem having the thread. As mentioned, if there is interest the thread will stay current, if not it will fall to the back pages. At some point in the future, if too many Publisher Threads are posted, we may have to revisit the policy, or perhaps they would go in their own forum.

Rahfa
07-13-2012, 03:20 PM
I don't see any problem. The CD thread started as a complaint/venting thread that CD eventially started posting in....as long as Sub Press is willing to take good with bad, I don't see any harm. I'd say if the posters here are dishing it out, then it's fair that the publishers can use the thread to promote their work...if people start complaining abut too much promotion in the thread, well then I guess it's a bad idea! But I would not disallow it as a policy.

I doubt there will ever be too many publisher threads...mainly because there aren't too many publishers.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
07-13-2012, 03:48 PM
I agree that each publisher should take "the rough with the smoothe". Up until the Grant TWTTHK, the only publisher that has taken any "flack" on this message board has been CD, who still take years to produce their "lettered" editions many years after they have taken the money for them.
I still await 3 CD lettered editions I have paid for years ago, as well as numbered editions. (Their response is always, "If you are not happy, you can always cancel your order"!)
I have never heard any complaints from members on here about Sub Press books.

Ben Staad
07-13-2012, 03:54 PM

Now that you mention it...

Garrell
07-13-2012, 05:57 PM
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k609/garrell7/DSCF3148.jpg?t=1342230642
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k609/garrell7/DSCF3149.jpg?t=1342230644
SubPress book:)

Ben Staad
07-13-2012, 06:04 PM
You just had to use your trophy didn't you? LOL

WeDealInLead
07-13-2012, 06:08 PM
Let us never complain about King's signature ever again.

Brice
07-13-2012, 06:11 PM
I love Fevre Dream. Congratulations!

Garrell
07-13-2012, 06:26 PM
You just had to use your trophy didn't you? LOL

Hehe:) Not as nice as the famous snow globe, but prouder of it.

Lauterer
07-13-2012, 11:46 PM
Yeah, this is true and makes me sad.

I agree that each publisher should take "the rough with the smoothe". Up until the Grant TWTTHK, the only publisher that has taken any "flack" on this message board has been CD, who still take years to produce their "lettered" editions many years after they have taken the money for them.
I still await 3 CD lettered editions I have paid for years ago, as well as numbered editions. (Their response is always, "If you are not happy, you can always cancel your order"!)

ur2ndbiggestfan
07-14-2012, 03:16 AM
I complained to Sub Press one time in all the years I've been buying from them. It was over the lettered edition of THE LOST BLOCH: VOLUME ONE, which they were having trouble getting the boxes for. They sent my money back immediately, but in hindsight I regret my impatience because the book did eventually come out and now I can't find one anywhere. I have never complained again, and now I am a more patient individual then I was before.

Randall Flagg
09-25-2012, 11:00 AM
Subterranean is publishing Dan Simmon's novella The Guiding Nose of Ulfant Banderoz (http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001sDQbobS8pf1XtItDEnIiQYgwiKRKak0rHiHet4 jlllFHeoyvm-J1RNXJNvxAfqKpGzXtVLNyEvDE0XmMJo2SKFL466idcxGb9oZh M7H-k5ZYELn63-zvqfgU3s21KJ6XZbdHJAAeA3DSkb3QWefGImKaAjEe2dRFd_n5 1Fwwcn_xaKh_c2augCVFtMMm2XJWxtst7EIH-1M=)
Page link here (http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=s5gioqbab&v=001KY-bJ3gW3XfkXRE46miTLxjDtSU2jVWvOn6YrTH2bEwsS5LqaQ3tp _jm5-uCK-QW2ti7l43PEgW2HLur184J8Y_PDlJ1m2NCOHe4QP0zvrY%3D)

ur2ndbiggestfan
09-25-2012, 03:51 PM
I ordered that and their new Vance collection too.

frik
08-01-2014, 10:55 AM
A couple of years ago I purchased the numbered and lettered editions of Dan Simmons' Hyperion books, Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion. I was really looking forwards to acquiring the other (numbered and lettered) books in this series, Ilium and Olympus. But, to my surprise I found out not too long ago SubPress already published these latter two books. In two a-similar editions, unfortunately.
Such a disappointment.

sk

mkberger
08-01-2014, 11:28 AM
A couple of years ago I purchased the numbered and lettered editions of Dan Simmons' Hyperion books, Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion. I was really looking forwards to acquiring the other (numbered and lettered) books in this series, Ilium and Olympus. But, to my surprise I found out not too long ago SubPress already published these latter two books. In two a-similar editions, unfortunately.
Such a disappointment.

sk

ILIUM and OLYMPOS aren't part of the Hyperion milieu; they are a completely different series. --I haven't seen anything about them in ages, but as I understood it Sub does/did have plans to publish ENDYMION and THE RISE OF ENDYMION, which DO continue the story.

Bev Vincent
Ilium and Olympus are a different series -- It's Endymion and Rise of Endymion that finish out the Hyperion series.

I have S/L of Ilium and Olympus that I could be talked into parting with -- shipping to Europe, though, will be expensive, I expect.

swintek
Ilium and Olympus are their own series, I believe (I haven't read any of them, so cannot say for sure) and not sequels to the Hyperion saga. The last two titles in the Hyperion saga are Endymion, and The Rise of Endymion. I think..

*Edited* Ah- see above!

mkberger
08-01-2014, 11:33 AM
I read HYPERION pretty much the month it came out, and have followed the series ever since. It was one of those books that restored my interest in modern science fiction; I still re-read it every five years or so.

Ari_Racing
08-01-2014, 11:42 AM
I liked the saga a lot but I also think it's not "good" for everyone. You have to be patient while reading it.

frik
08-01-2014, 12:51 PM
Such a disappointment.

sk

ILIUM and OLYMPOS aren't part of the Hyperion milieu; they are a completely different series. --I haven't seen anything about them in ages, but as I understood it Sub does/did have plans to publish ENDYMION and THE RISE OF ENDYMION, which DO continue the story.

Excellent! Thank you for this information!

sk

webstar1000
08-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Is this a Sai King thread? Or not?

mkberger
08-01-2014, 05:34 PM

Sorry about that.

Ari_Racing
08-01-2014, 05:41 PM
It's a Subterranean Press topic. Other books by the publisher can be discussed.

Lookwhoitis
08-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Umm...why be sorry? It's labelled Sub Press.

I dont see why we cant talk about books other than King.

Is it in the wrong section or something?

mkberger
08-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Umm...why be sorry? It's labelled Sub Press.

I dont see why we cant talk about books other than King.

Is it in the wrong section or something?

Dunno; pretty new here. Just trying to get it right.

Randall Flagg
08-01-2014, 06:11 PM

Sorry about that.

It's a Subterranean Press topic. Other books by the publisher can be discussed.
The more King the better, but certainly anything to do with Sub Press is allowed/encouraged.
It's all good.

Jimimck
08-02-2014, 12:03 AM
I just want to say that my one and only dealing with SP direct has been just brilliant. My copy of The Shining didn't show up, and they sent a replacement copy, matching the number previously sent. Then when the dust jacket arrived with dents/bumps they replaced that too.

They get the thumbs up from me. I love the quality of the book and Tray case on the Shining.

DoctorZaius
08-05-2014, 07:35 AM
SP just posted they have 22 S/L of Joe Hill's NOS4A2, for those who have not already gotten one!

WeDealInLead
08-05-2014, 07:38 AM
Full price for dented books.

Aronstg
08-05-2014, 08:01 AM
Drats! I missed out again on this book! Ugh.

uturn83
08-05-2014, 08:21 AM
missed again!

Stockerlone
08-05-2014, 10:32 PM
Missed it NOT... but.... full price for dented books. === No thanks...

frik
08-06-2014, 01:27 AM
That's why I let it go as well, Frank.
Still....I'm already beginning to regret my decision.....

sk

Stockerlone
08-06-2014, 01:58 AM
That's why I let it go as well, Frank.
Still....I'm already beginning to regret my decision.....

sk

And ... i did not like the illustrations from GR.:doh:

mkberger
08-17-2014, 08:05 AM
Sub has posted for Grab Bags:
http://subterraneanpress.com/store/product_detail/grab_bag

I've had mixed results with these over the years... never a question of getting your money's worth, but I can't recall anything truly outstanding, either, unlike with similar offerings from other publishers.

richardsrarebooks
08-17-2014, 09:47 AM
I would agree, nothing real special.......but I bought one anyway! Can't stop myself. Hope to find some "treasures"!

DoctorZaius
08-18-2014, 12:06 PM
Money is tight so I am sitting out this grab bag - I did get a Ray Garton lettered edition in one of these, so there is some hope for something good.

Lookwhoitis
08-18-2014, 09:00 PM
Anybody have any of the S/N LE Thomas Ligotti books? I am starting to explore his work and would love recommendations or even leads to buy some.

:emot-cthulhu:

Tito_Villa
08-19-2014, 04:40 AM
It's the postage that puts me off

WeDealInLead
08-19-2014, 05:17 AM
Anybody have any of the S/N LE Thomas Ligotti books? I am starting to explore his work and would love recommendations or even leads to buy some.

I have the trade of The Spectral Link. I think the difference is only in cloth v. leather binding and a signature page. It's a pretty slim volume and I couldn't justify paying $60 for it. It's the size of a standard DVD case and the text actually starts on page 9, ends on 94. That said, Ligotti's signature is hard to come by and if were rich, I'd have gotten the S/L just for the that.

Stories are really dark and I think I'll need to read them again to fully 'get' them.

mkberger
08-29-2014, 03:35 AM

We will be listing copy #1 of THE SPECTRAL LINK this evening (on eBay).

mattgreenbean
08-29-2014, 09:16 AM
Sweet, more Clive Barker on the way. http://subterraneanpress.com/store/product_detail/tortured_souls_the_legend_of_primordium

mkberger
08-31-2014, 08:29 AM
Just received my copy of CARRIE (the PS edition; my orders are through SubPress); and have preordered THINNER.

They (Sub) are offering matched numbers of CARRIE and THINNER (preorder) for $250.

DoctorZaius
08-31-2014, 03:41 PM
Sweet, more Clive Barker on the way. http://subterraneanpress.com/store/product_detail/tortured_souls_the_legend_of_primordium

Yeah, looks like it's time to use my discount from The Shining.

Roseannebarr
09-03-2014, 12:35 PM
any body have #170 of Pet Sematary? Will pay for shipping and replace with my copy!

I have #170 of Christine and Carrie.

Thank YOu!

thegreattim
09-03-2014, 12:40 PM
You might want to put that notice up in the PS Anniv Ed thread as well.

I/O
09-09-2014, 02:23 PM
SubPress Grab Bags arrived today. Breathtakingly medium; these will be my last.

uturn83
09-09-2014, 02:45 PM
Sorry to hear that. I was tempted, mind asking what you got?

richardsrarebooks
09-09-2014, 02:54 PM
Got my grab bag yesterday. Would agree, very ordinary. 13 books. 8 signed. Best one is a signed limited Robert Silverberg.

Roseannebarr
09-13-2014, 05:44 AM

Yeah, looks like it's time to use my discount from The Shining.

Can somebody send me the code! I sent an email to Subpress, but I cant find my original email to order with my $40 gift certificate.

frik
09-15-2014, 08:46 AM
Dan Simmons' Endymion has finally been announced. The Hyperion books were classy productions; can't wait for my numbered and lettered editions.

http://subterraneanpress.com/store/product_detail/endymion

sk

mkberger
09-24-2014, 12:53 PM
New:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e214/Rivende1128/Sanderson--LEGION-Proof-Small_zpsf88e7668.jpg

Dan
09-29-2014, 08:42 AM
Any ebook people out there? Sub Press sent out their newsletter this morning with a link to Gumroad which sells ebooks for them. They are heavily discounted. I'm going to pick up some of the McCammon books that I have only in signed version. Here is the link in case you didn't get it.

https://gumroad.com/subpress

WeDealInLead
09-29-2014, 08:56 AM
Most available to US only, even the OOP ones.

Br!an
10-20-2014, 07:18 AM
The Books of Blood are shipping!

Langolier
10-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Does Subterranean send a shipping notification?

frik
10-21-2014, 12:47 AM
Yes, they do.
But without specifying the book(s) being sent.

sk

Langolier
10-21-2014, 01:01 AM
frik, thanks a lot! Really waiting for Books of Blood.

JulesH
10-21-2014, 11:33 PM
Just wanted to give a shout out to Bill at Sub Press. I bought a copy of The Shining on the secondary market and the seller said he would forward the dust jacket when it arrived. However, he never did forward it and didn't reply to my emails. I contacted Bill to see if there were any spare copies I could buy and he said he would check. To my surprise, I returned home from work today to find a very well packaged dust jacket waiting for me. Sub Press sent it all the way to NZ completely free of charge - now that's great customer service :)

webstar1000
10-22-2014, 03:59 AM
Just wanted to give a shout out to Bill at Sub Press. I bought a copy of The Shining on the secondary market and the seller said he would forward the dust jacket when it arrived. However, he never did forward it and didn't reply to my emails. I contacted Bill to see if there were any spare copies I could buy and he said he would check. To my surprise, I returned home from work today to find a very well packaged dust jacket waiting for me. Sub Press sent it all the way to NZ completely free of charge - now that's great customer service :)

Sure is man...

thegreattim
10-23-2014, 11:40 AM
I'll second that. I had a similar experience when buying a book of the secondary market with a less than desirable jacket. Same as you, one appeared on my doorstep shortly after Bill saying he'd see if he had one.

Even better, I once inquired him regarding a long out of print (and never actually announced) chapbook that had been given as a freebie to those who had pre-ordered a certain Kiernan title. As I had just found out about the chapbook, I wrote to Bill without really hoping he had a copy still, that many years later. He replied that he didn't, unfortunately. The next week though, without warning, a package showed up on my door with not one, but *several* out of print chapbooks that I had yet to collect (and only one that I already had) from Kiernan. Free of charge, completely as a gift. I was blown away.

Bill truly is a gentleman among publishers.

Kingfan24
11-24-2014, 06:39 AM
All editions of the shining available at sub press for issue price

becca69
11-24-2014, 06:41 AM
http://subterraneanpress.com/store/product_detail/the_shining

Randall Flagg
11-24-2014, 06:43 AM
Wow.

webstar1000
11-24-2014, 06:43 AM
Must be PC copies... last time they did this I asked and they were the damaged ones too.... (returns)

cit74
11-24-2014, 06:49 AM
It says the limited ones do have the scuffing issues but come with the DJ - all still available including a lettered

Randall Flagg
11-24-2014, 06:51 AM
Can't purchase if you already bought one from them.

cit74
11-24-2014, 06:54 AM

I bought mine from camelot - so I guess theoretically I could buy another copy direct from them - I Just don't have the free cash right now to do so - other books being paid for

Randall Flagg
11-24-2014, 06:58 AM

I bought mine from camelot - so I guess theoretically I could buy another copy direct from them - I Just don't have the free cash right now to do so - other books being paid for
There is always a way, but like you, I don't want to use my money for one of them.

skyofcrack
11-24-2014, 07:04 AM
Using the cart trick, they seem to have 2 lettered, 1 w/remarque, 7 limited and 36 gift.

Room 217 Caretaker
11-24-2014, 07:05 AM

There is always a way, but like you, I don't want to use my money for one of them.

I believe they are part of the damaged/marked copies returned.

Mulleins

richardsrarebooks
11-24-2014, 07:13 AM
Wonder if they will open it up for everyone.

sharki69
11-24-2014, 07:15 AM

I believe they are part of the damaged/marked copies returned.

Mulleins

Important Ordering Notes:

If you have already purchased a limited or lettered copy of The Shining, you are not eligible to purchase another
If you have already purchased a Gift Edition you are not eligible to purchase another.
We regret that we are not able to accept phone orders for this title.
We accept Visa, MasterCard, and PayPal.
No coupons, specials, or savings certificates may be applied to the purchase of this title.
The Limited Edition copies of The Shining offered do have the slight scuffing issues, and come with a dust jacket.

RC65
11-24-2014, 07:18 AM
I never picked up a copy of the S/L, but knowing these are likely the returned/damaged ones and, as per this thread, perhaps even PC copies, I guess I still won't. Plus trying to find an extra $450 around Christmas time is a challenge. Probably kick myself a year or two down the road, but ah well.

Kingfan24
11-24-2014, 07:39 AM
Wow.

Lol my thoughts exactly

Randall Flagg
11-24-2014, 09:14 AM
When are the replacement traycases coming?

subpress
11-24-2014, 09:23 AM
Hey all,

Quickly.

These aren't PC copies or returns of any sort.

If you're waiting on a traycase, email me. We sent them out long ago.

Best,

Bill
SubPress

Fsmdr
11-24-2014, 09:55 AM
Using the cart trick, they seem to have 2 lettered, 1 w/remarque, 7 limited and 36 gift.

Was the lettered issue price the same for remarqued and non-remarqued?.

skyofcrack
11-24-2014, 10:46 AM

I believe the lettered was $2500 and the remarqued lettered was $2750.

webstar1000
11-24-2014, 10:48 AM
What I am confused on... if they are not returns... or PC copies... then how was it sold out so long ago? Perhaps they saved some aside?

Kingfan24
11-24-2014, 11:09 AM
From the email today -

Long story short. When Stephen King's The Shining came out, we had some serious issues with inventory control on the back end of our site. Those problems remain, but we really want to get the last copies of The Shining into folks' hands. So please, head over to the book's page, follow the ordering instructions, and snag a copy if you're eligible.

Lol the tale of this book grows and grows.

Fsmdr
11-24-2014, 07:43 PM

I believe the lettered was $2500 and the remarqued lettered was $2750.

Thanks for the info.

KingKorn
12-01-2014, 08:07 AM
Subterranean has some copies of the Revival limited addition available here:

http://subterraneanpress.com/store/product_detail/revival_limited_edition_uk_facsimile_limited_editi on

I went ahead and picked one up. I enjoyed the book pretty thoroughly and I really like the design elements of this particular limited. I like the design of all the UK variants of Revival, I guess.

becca69
12-01-2014, 08:36 AM

http://subterraneanpress.com/store/product_detail/revival_limited_edition_uk_facsimile_limited_editi on

I went ahead and picked one up. I enjoyed the book pretty thoroughly and I really like the design elements of this particular limited. I like the design of all the UK variants of Revival, I guess.

I should have waited... much cheaper than converting US Dollars to British Pounds!

Randall Flagg
12-01-2014, 01:37 PM

I should have waited... much cheaper than converting US Dollars to British Pounds!
It's about the same. Shipping @$5.80 is certainly a deal.

becca69
12-01-2014, 03:28 PM

It's about the same. Shipping @$5.80 is certainly a deal.

I had to pay 135 pounds... shipping from publisher then shipping to me which came to about $212.

Randall Flagg
12-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Ouch.

becca69
12-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Ouch.

I guess you win some, you lose some :doh:

cit74
12-01-2014, 03:48 PM
Ouch.

I guess you win some, you lose some :doh:

Don't mention how much you paid for the Green Mile set…:)

stroppygoblin
12-03-2014, 09:32 AM
Heads up, Subterranean has a half price deal on specific books, including Signed and numbered (but not by King) Battleground

HOLIDAY 50% OFF SALE - EXTENDED FOR ONE MORE WEEK!

We are extending the 50% Off Selected Gauntlet Titles Holiday Sale until December 10th.

Here are the titles we are offering:

BULLET TRICK by Ray Bradbury (the only signed Bradbury title we’re placing on sale)
NIGHTMARE AT 20,000 FEET by Richard Matheson (signed)
NIGHTMARE AT 20,000 FEET by Richard Matheson (unsigned)
OTHER KINGDOMS by Richard Matheson (initialed)
THE LINK by Richard Matheson
VISIONS OF DEATH by Richard Matheson
UNREALIZED DREAMS by Richard Matheson
THE RICHARD MATHESON COMPANION
MATHESON UNCOLLECTED by Richard Matheson
LEGACIES by F. Paul Wilson
FATAL ERROR by F. Paul Wilson
SECRET VENGEANCE by F. Paul Wilson
DARK AT THE END by F. Paul Wilson
SECRET CIRCLES by F. Paul Wilson
COLD CITY by F. Paul Wilson
DARK CITY by F. Paul Wilson
LEGEND by Marie Lu
CREATED BY by R.C. Matheson
HE IS LEGEND (unsigned) a tribute to Richard Matheson
ILLUSTRATED MASQUES (signed, no Stephen King signature)
BATTLEGROUND (signed, no King signature)

Go to the Books & Products page on our website and find each title you'd like to order (alphabetical by author). When ordering in the Comment’s section mention “50% sale”.

ELazansky
12-03-2014, 09:37 AM
Heads up, Subterranean has a half price deal on specific books, including Signed and numbered (but not by King) Battleground

We are extending the 50% Off Selected Gauntlet Titles Holiday Sale until December 10th.

BULLET TRICK by Ray Bradbury (the only signed Bradbury title we’re placing on sale)
LEGEND by Marie Lu

Go to the Books & Products page on our website and find each title you'd like to order (alphabetical by author). When ordering in the Comment’s section mention “50% sale”.

This is Gauntlet Press's sale, not Sub Press

stroppygoblin
12-03-2014, 09:38 AM

LEGEND by Marie Lu

This is Gauntlet Press's sale, not Sub Press

OOPs :redface: My Bad.

Dan
12-03-2014, 03:43 PM

LEGEND by Marie Lu

A word of caution. I've ordered many, many items from Gauntlet. Barry is a great guy, but his packaging of books is less than desirable. I've had lettered editions set in oversized boxes with no padding or bubble wrap of any kind. I haven't had any major issues, although I just received a paperback from him that looks like it was thrown across the room. I usually order my Gauntlet editions from other sellers because they ship better. That said, if you collect anything in this sale it is a great deal.

webstar1000
12-03-2014, 04:21 PM
I agree. He had to ship my last Lettered twice cause of the poor packaging:(

uturn83
12-04-2014, 06:07 AM
That's a pretty awful website to navigate. Just to clarify- the prices listed on the site is pre 50%?

Randall Flagg
12-04-2014, 07:02 AM
That's a pretty awful website to navigate. Just to clarify- the prices listed on the site is pre 50%?
Yes.

richardsrarebooks
12-07-2014, 08:07 AM
They have on their website, the 5 volume Jim Thompson set published by Centipede Press for $175.00 (that's $35.00 a book) which is a good deal. Only 300 sets produced.

mkb.redux
01-03-2015, 05:15 AM
Posted earlier this week: another winner from Tom Kidd:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e306/KNOMEOR/Grand_Crusades_by_Jack_Vance_zps4e7b0194.jpg

WeDealInLead
01-03-2015, 07:39 AM
His art is nuts. I'll be getting that Vance but I'll hold off until it's closer to publication date.

Amazon.ca's price is higher than cover price. Ditto new Ellison collection.

mkb.redux
01-03-2015, 11:27 AM
His art is nuts. I'll be getting that Vance but I'll hold off until it's closer to publication date.

Amazon.ca's price is higher than cover price. Ditto new Ellison collection.

If you need a middle-man, just let me know.

divemaster
01-19-2015, 01:22 PM
I recently received a shipping notice from Sub Press, which perplexed me, as I have not ordered anything from them recently. I checked my PO Box Saturday and sure enough, there was a book to pick up. Addressed to me---with someone else's invoice inside.

I e-mailed Sub Press at the two e-mail accounts I have saved for them (once bounced back, but one apparently went through). I have not received a response.

On the off chance a representative of Sub Press is monitoring this thread, please return my e-mail on what you would like me to do with the book. It's not in my area of interest (from the looks of it) and I hate to think of the poor guy who paid for it waiting, waiting, waiting...

goathunter
01-19-2015, 04:56 PM
The Subterranean people were all (?) involved with a convention this past weekend, and today was a holiday. Both may explain why you haven't gotten a reply yet. subpress@gmail.com is the email address.

mkb.redux
03-01-2015, 05:42 PM
New Jim Butcher collection announced:

http://subterraneanpress.com/news/announcing_a_new_jim_butcher_dresden_files_collect ion

Chicago wizard for hire Harry Dresden is used to mysterious clients with long hair and legs up to here. But when it turns out the long hair covers every square inch of his latest client’s body, and the legs contribute to a nine-foot height, even the redoubtable detective realizes he’s treading new ground. Strength of a River in His Shoulders is one of the legendary forest people, a Bigfoot, and he has a problem that only Harry can solve. His son Irwin is a scion, the child of a supernatural creature and a human. He’s a good kid, but the extraordinary strength of his magical aura has a way of attracting trouble.

In the three novellas that make up Working For Bigfoot, collected together for the first time here, readers encounter Dresden at different points in his storied career, and in Irwin’s life. As a middle-schooler, in “B is For Bigfoot,” Irwin attracts the unwelcome attention of a pair of bullying brothers who are more than they seem, and when Harry steps in, it turns out they have a mystical guardian of their own. At a fancy private high school in “I Was a Teenage Bigfoot,” Harry is called in when Irwin grows ill for the first time, and it’s not just a case of mono. Finally, Irwin is all grown up and has a grown-up’s typical problems as a freshman in college in “Bigfoot on Campus,” or would have if typical included vampires.

New York Times bestseller Jim Butcher explores the responsibilities of fatherhood and the difficulties of growing up with the elements Dresden Files fans crave—detection, adventure, humor, and magic.

swintek
03-06-2015, 12:24 PM
Did anyone else happen to catch Subpress' home page banner yesterday that had an illustration of a couple of wine glasses and what appeared to be blood in the backround with the tagline: "We'll bring the Chianti. Summer 2015" (or something like that). It's gone now. Looks like they're doing a Silence of the Lambs limited this year..

killjoy72
03-06-2015, 01:02 PM
That'd be cool.

CyberGhostface
03-06-2015, 01:06 PM
Did anyone else happen to catch Subpress' home page banner yesterday that had an illustration of a couple of wine glasses and what appeared to be blood in the backround with the tagline: "We'll bring the Chianti. Summer 2015" (or something like that). It's gone now. Looks like they're doing a Silence of the Lambs limited this year..

More money down the drain for me lol...

Joe315
03-06-2015, 01:06 PM
A quick google search pulled this up.

https://d3pdrxb6g9axe3.cloudfront.net/uploads/Chianti_Banner.jpg

swintek
03-06-2015, 01:11 PM
That's it! Nice work. And, it's Spring, not summer. And, I'm merely speculating on it being SotL. Could be something else, possibly even a new Lecter book...?

swintek
03-06-2015, 01:15 PM

More money down the drain for me lol...

Tell me about it- I just bought the new Easton Press edition which I *was* perfectly happy with. Subpress is announcing too many mandatory books right on top of each other this year and it's having a Shut Down effect on me; I can't keep up so I'm sticking my head in the sand.

Joe315
03-06-2015, 03:00 PM
I'm guessing we'll know soon. Maybe Monday.

RC65
03-06-2015, 03:25 PM
Tell me about it- I just bought the new Easton Press edition which I *was* perfectly happy with. Subpress is announcing too many mandatory books right on top of each other this year and it's having a Shut Down effect on me; I can't keep up so I'm sticking my head in the sand.

I'll be...I didn't even know Easton had done an edition of SILENCE OF THE LAMBS. I'm fortunate enough to have a Fine/Fine personally-inscribed 1st HC of SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, so I may -- may -- be able to resist this new Sub Press edition, if, in fact, that's what the ad banner is referring to. I also have a signed Fine/Fine 1st HC of RED DRAGON. The two books make for a pretty cool duo. 8)

swintek
03-06-2015, 04:01 PM

I'll be...I didn't even know Easton had done an edition of SILENCE OF THE LAMBS. I'm fortunate enough to have a Fine/Fine personally-inscribed 1st HC of SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, so I may -- may -- be able to resist this new Sub Press edition, if, in fact, that's what the ad banner is referring to. I also have a signed Fine/Fine 1st HC of RED DRAGON. The two books make for a pretty cool duo. 8)

An inscribed first of Silence of the Lambs? That's an extremely cool, and rare item. What a great book. Red Dragon, too. What a shame he went so horribly wrong with Hannibal.

RC65
03-06-2015, 04:09 PM

An inscribed first of Silence of the Lambs? That's an extremely cool, and rare item. What a great book. Red Dragon, too. What a shame he went so horribly wrong with Hannibal.

Yes, I caught him on a good day; my understanding is A) he doesn't sign much, and B) he personalizes even less. But every once in a while, the Book Gods smile on me:

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i341/at-home-daddy/IMG_6128.jpg

...and this:

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i341/at-home-daddy/harris_zps8cd5a58e.jpg

R.e. Lector: I agree, the two books after SILENCE were puzzling and disappointing, to say the least. Thank goodness, though, we still have his early masterpieces to revisit.

swintek
03-06-2015, 04:29 PM
That is a wonderfully inscribed book. I love that. Thanks so much for showing it.

wolfehr
03-06-2015, 05:33 PM
Beautiful books RC65!

goheat
03-06-2015, 06:18 PM
Man, that's a great inscription! And talk about good handwriting!!!

RC65
03-06-2015, 07:17 PM
Yes, the methodical, meticulous way that he famously creates his fiction appears to extend into even his handwriting.

CyberGhostface
03-07-2015, 01:30 PM
That's it! Nice work. And, it's Spring, not summer. And, I'm merely speculating on it being SotL. Could be something else, possibly even a new Lecter book...?

I think Harris is done with Hannibal, he only wrote Rising because the producer threatened to do it for him.

swintek
03-07-2015, 04:59 PM

I think Harris is done with Hannibal, he only wrote Rising because the producer threatened to do it for him.

Ah. I thought as much. Probably for the best. It occurred to me that Subpress might be doing a duet of Red Dragon and Silence...

Merlin1958
03-11-2015, 01:53 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed both the "Hannibal" related books and movies (and the TV show as well) and I am thinking of collecting a few of the Limited's. I would greatly appreciate any tips, suggestions or advice from some of you guys.

RC65
03-11-2015, 02:52 PM
Merlin, As far as I know, except for an unsigned Easton Press edition of SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, there are not yet any limiteds. We'll have to wait and see if this Sub Press image leak pans out.

Merlin1958
03-11-2015, 02:55 PM
Merlin, As far as I know, except for an unsigned Easton Press edition of SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, there are not yet any limiteds. We'll have to wait and see if this Sub Press image leak pans out.

Easton Press, eh? I'll have to look into that. I'll be keeping tabs here. Thanks for the info.

Merlin1958
03-11-2015, 03:09 PM
Okay, that site is a little frustrating. I can't seem to order just "Silence of the Lambs". I suppose I am just dense. LOL

ELazansky
03-11-2015, 04:30 PM
Okay, that site is a little frustrating. I can't seem to order just "Silence of the Lambs". I suppose I am just dense. LOL

I tried searching Easton's website, and this is what came up: http://www.eastonpress.com/prod/A87/READER-S-CHOICE-TITLES_2924?cm_st=1&cm_s=silence+of+the+lambs

2924-002 The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris (available May 2015)

Merlin1958
03-11-2015, 05:18 PM

I tried searching Easton's website, and this is what came up: http://www.eastonpress.com/prod/A87/READER-S-CHOICE-TITLES_2924?cm_st=1&cm_s=silence+of+the+lambs

Yeah, me too. Apparently you have to order ten titles, not just a single one unless I did something wrong. Thanks for trying!!

ELazansky
03-11-2015, 05:25 PM

Yeah, me too. Apparently you have to order ten titles, not just a single one unless I did something wrong. Thanks for trying!!

It says you can order titles individually

Merlin1958
03-11-2015, 05:29 PM

I am not trying to be obtuse, but I read that as well. I just can't seem to actually do it. I admit I am PC challenged somewhat. I must be missing something. Sorry to bother. Maybe because it would be a pre-order according to the description?

Edit: I even created an account, but it won't let me order a single title. The site wants me to select ten titles. Uggghhhh!!! LOL I'm sure it is something stupid that I am missing. 'It puts the lotion on the order and places it in the basket"!!! LOL

swintek
03-11-2015, 05:34 PM
As a long time loyal Subpress supporter- I'm starting to feel a tad uncomfortable for mentioning the banner now. I thought since it was up on their site (for awhile at least) that the announcement would be imminent, and kind of fun to speculate here (and, although it looked like a SILENCE limited- we don't know for sure what they are/were planning at all).

For the above reason, I'm also uneasy "promoting" any other new edition that may (or may not ;)) be out there- until Subpress lets us know what they are up to.

RC65
03-11-2015, 06:24 PM
Swintek, I wouldn't worry about it -- to my mind, we're still speculating, as per your post, and having fun doing so, but are not per se promoting anything. As you say, we all have no true idea what it is, if anything, so there is as of yet nothing to promote. The only thing I'll add to our speculation is that I find it interesting that Easton is coming out with a limited of it (albeit unsigned, as near as I can tell)...but even there that could mean A). that Harris is releasing his works for limited treatment and Sub Press has the signed limited to Easton's trade limited, * OR * B). the limited rights have already been spoken for in total by Easton and the banner may mean nothing at all (maybe a design made out of hope and expectation, but now moot). Time will tell.

Plus, given that the last posts about Sub Press were two months old, it's nice to have an ongoing discussion again about one of the better presses our genre has to offer.

swintek
03-11-2015, 07:52 PM
^ All really good points up there, RC65. ;)

Joe315
03-11-2015, 08:15 PM
It also wasn't hard to find the banner. It was the first image that showed up on google. My guess it was a premature upload by sub press for some unannounced book. I say speculate away. It's free press for SP basically.

Joe315
03-11-2015, 08:20 PM
And Bill, it may be a glitch on the Easton press site. It wouldn't let me add one book. It threw up an error saying that all 10 slots needed to be filled, even though there are 6 books listed on that page.

carlosdetweiller
03-12-2015, 03:51 AM

I am not trying to be obtuse, but I read that as well. I just can't seem to actually do it. I admit I am PC challenged somewhat. I must be missing something. Sorry to bother. Maybe because it would be a pre-order according to the description?

Edit: I even created an account, but it won't let me order a single title. The site wants me to select ten titles. Uggghhhh!!! LOL I'm sure it is something stupid that I am missing. 'It puts the lotion on the order and places it in the basket"!!! LOL

Try calling them directly at the toll-free number. In the past they have let me order exactly what I wanted that way. Fairly recently I ordered Straub's Ghost Story as a single volume.

somekindofstranger
03-12-2015, 06:32 AM
It also wasn't hard to find the banner. It was the first image that showed up on google. My guess it was a premature upload by sub press for some unannounced book. I say speculate away. It's free press for SP basically.

Subpress pointed people to the banner via their Facebook page so I think it's intended to be noticed as a teaser

mkb.redux
03-12-2015, 07:02 AM
New Harlan Ellison!
http://subterraneanpress.com/store/product_detail/can_cantankerous

wolfehr
03-12-2015, 07:11 AM
New Harlan Ellison!

I'm trying to decide between the Limited and Lettered edition :/

Merlin1958
03-12-2015, 10:06 AM

Try calling them directly at the toll-free number. In the past they have let me order exactly what I wanted that way. Fairly recently I ordered Straub's Ghost Story as a single volume.

Excellent idea!! Why did n't I think of that? LOL I guess you tend to get caught up in the Tech and forget the old fashioned way to get things done!! LOL

frik
03-12-2015, 10:48 AM
New Harlan Ellison!

I'm trying to decide between the Limited and Lettered edition :/

Two letterds left!

sk

swintek
03-12-2015, 11:20 AM

Subpress pointed people to the banner via their Facebook page so I think it's intended to be noticed as a teaser

Really? I hadn't seen that. Makes me feel better about pointing it out, then. Thanks.