PDA

View Full Version : Your Dark Tower Relatives ...

Rider_of_Discordia
07-18-2008, 07:58 AM
They say you can pick your friends, but not your family. Well just suppose you could pick your family ... and they you could select them from the Dark Tower Universe(s) ... who would you have and in what family position?

I would love Moses Carver as my Grandad. I think Ted Brautigan would make a great Uncle. Eddie Dean would be a fantastic cousin ... especially if you only to meet him at birthdays and christmas time! (Anymore might get exhausting!) I think I already have a bunch of unsocial weird breakers as relatives at the moment.

Anyone else?

**Just thought ... this is in the wrong place on the board isn't it! Sorry ... can someone move it to the right place!**

Jean
07-18-2008, 08:28 AM
Susannah* is already my wife. I certainly couldn't ask for anything better than that.

* well, with legs, and perfectly sane - at least comparing with me

alinda
07-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Jake as my son.
( my son's are great so I'd just add him in, not replace the ones I have)

LadyHitchhiker
07-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Oy would be my companion... my solid steadfast friend..

theBeamisHome
07-18-2008, 10:57 AM
great thread!!!

ok.... i'd want Jake as a son, Oy as a pet, Susannah as a best friend, Eddie would be a much better BIG brother i think.. i'm not sure i'd want to be related to Roland as he wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice me for his tower. i agree that Moses Carver would make a kickass grandfather, but i think Aaron Deepeneau would too...Rosalita would be a good mom i think..

fernandito
07-18-2008, 11:03 AM
I'd want Roland , Cuthbert, and Alain to be my brothers so that we can kick it, drink, possibly shoot at random things together. :D

jayson
07-18-2008, 11:07 AM
I think we can assume nobody wants Cordelia as an Aunt? :evil:

Darkthoughts
07-18-2008, 01:31 PM
:lol:

I'd like Ted Brautigan as my Dad, he reminds me of him anyway. John Cullum as an uncle, Jake as a brother and Eddie and Dinky Earnshaw as the crazy cousins you sneak off and get drunk with at family reunions :D

I think Roland would be a cool godfather - you'd be scared to get into any shit, but if you took it like a man he'd totally help you bail yourself out.

Daghain
07-18-2008, 03:55 PM
Oh, Roland as godfather would be awesome!!!

Eddie as a cousin, Susannah too, for that matter.

Father Callahan as an uncle, Rosalita as an aunt.

mia/susannah
07-18-2008, 05:23 PM
I would like to have oy for my pet, Jake as my son, Eddie as a cousin, Susannah would definelty be my sister, Roland as a godfather, Rosalita, grandmother, Ted Brautigan, grandfather

Letti
07-18-2008, 09:51 PM
The dream of dreams:
Roland is my husband and we are living in Calla why try our best to bring up Jake. Oy is Jake's pet and soulmate, like in the series. Eddie and Susannah are our neighbours. And everything is the same in Calla and I am no more than a simple housewife.

Rider_of_Discordia
07-19-2008, 12:31 AM
Letti, that must mean you have learned to dance the Commala?

Letti
07-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Letti, that must mean you have learned to dance the Commala?

I would dance it with all my heart. You can be sure about it.

(Do you still think this *great* thread should be moved somewhere? It looks okay here.)

The Lady of Shadows
07-20-2008, 05:40 PM
i'm going to have to think more about this but for now:

jake as my son
oy were he always belongs - with jake
aaron as my brother (but not sick, please god)
moses carver as . . . grandfather probably
eddie as my brother
susannah as my sister-in-law
rosalita as my aunt
pere callahan as my brother

i am still thinking about roland. he worries me, a great deal.

Erin
07-21-2008, 06:20 AM
I want an Oy-pet! Bad!

Jean
07-21-2008, 06:37 AM
how about a Shardik pet?

Erin
07-21-2008, 11:52 AM
Even better! Rarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

The Lady of Shadows
07-21-2008, 05:12 PM
only if shardik promises not to chase me up a tree whilst trying to eat me for dinner. can shardik promise that?

razz
07-21-2008, 05:22 PM
i'd take the entire tet as my brethren./ much better than the ones i have now. more competent too. Oy can only replace Bob the Retard. Axel is too good a pet

Rider_of_Discordia
07-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Funny that Roland hasn't been snapped up by many of us (except wholeheartedly by Letti ... )
As THE GUNSLINGER was originally written I would have picked Roland as a brother, then Roland becomes more gruff and distant as the series moves on, certainly harder to like and more scary, though more of an interesting character. I noticed in rereading THE GUNSLINGER revised version and The Gunslinger Original version side by side (which I have just been doing to get me over the jones of finishing THE DARK TOWER recently!) that King has toned down the friendly Roland of the original novel quite a bit. Roland starts off the gruff and scary Roland ... the one that King the writer character is uncomfortable with.
Anyone else see that?

How many people want billy bumblers!!! lol ... They should do an Cuddly OY plushie. That would sell like hot cakes, say thankya!

The Lady of Shadows
07-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Funny that Roland hasn't been snapped up by many of us (except wholeheartedly by Letti ... )
As THE GUNSLINGER was originally written I would have picked Roland as a brother, then Roland becomes more gruff and distant as the series moves on, certainly harder to like and more scary, though more of an interesting character. I noticed in rereading THE GUNSLINGER revised version and The Gunslinger Original version side by side (which I have just been doing to get me over the jones of finishing THE DARK TOWER recently!) that King has toned down the friendly Roland of the original novel quite a bit. Roland starts off the gruff and scary Roland ... the one that King the writer character is uncomfortable with.
Anyone else see that?

How many people want billy bumblers!!! lol ... They should do an Cuddly OY plushie. That would sell like hot cakes, say thankya!

i'm sorry. did you just say that roland was friendly in the gunslinger? we are talking about roland deschain right? roland of gilead? roland who murdered every single person in tull. roland who raped sylvia pittston with his gun. roland who let jake drop.

that roland?

oh, and i'd take an oy plush. always figuring that they consulted sai king on how he should look that is.

obscurejude
07-21-2008, 08:43 PM
Anyone else see that?

i'm sorry. did you just say that roland was friendly in the gunslinger? we are talking about roland deschain right? roland of gilead? roland who murdered every single person in tull. roland who raped sylvia pittston with his gun. roland who let jake drop.

that roland?

oh, and i'd take an oy plush. always figuring that they consulted sai king on how he should look that is.

Roland's a friendly guy. That's why he'd make a good chia pet.

KaLikeAWheel
07-21-2008, 08:50 PM
I'd like John Cullum for a grandpa..he's all kick-ass for an old guy!
Aaron Depneau for my other grandpa.
Eddie for a big brother...I always wanted a big brother.
Susannah as a really cool sister-in-law that you actually like (rare, I know).
Jake as a son, of course with his pet Oy.
Ted and Pere Callahan as uncles.
I would totally want to have Rolland in my life somewhere, but he doesn't really bring to mind fuzzy family moments, so I'm not sure where it would be. I don't think he's the father type, but in some sort of protective type capacity. I guess godfather works for now until I think of better.

Great thread!!!:clap:

Donna

Letti
07-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Anyone else see that?

that roland?

I have just started to type the same questions but you were quicker.
That Roland?!?!?!

I felt absolutely the opposite.
When I first met Roland he was a killing-machine and as the story was going on I could meet and got to love Roland's human side.

The Lady of Shadows
07-21-2008, 09:06 PM
Roland's a friendly guy. That's why he'd make a good chia pet.

:rofl:

obscurejude
07-21-2008, 09:06 PM
:D

KaLikeAWheel
07-21-2008, 09:34 PM
I felt absolutely the opposite.
When I first met Roland he was a killing-machine and as the story was going on I could meet and got to love Roland's human side.

I agree, wholeheartedly. I do think the Roland of the original Gunslinger was a simpler character, but friendly? :nope: I never really saw him as friendly. Cold, calculating heartless bastard, maybe...:P

Donna

Jean
07-21-2008, 09:51 PM
only if shardik promises not to chase me up a tree whilst trying to eat me for dinner. can shardik promise that?
as a close relative, I have to warn you that shardiks never make promises they don't intend to keep.

The Lady of Shadows
07-21-2008, 10:30 PM
as a close relative, I have to warn you that shardiks never make promises they don't intend to keep.

yeah, see. that's pretty much what i thought. :panic:

Rider_of_Discordia
07-22-2008, 02:17 AM
**Spoilers**

Yeah, that Roland! lol ... if you compare how he interacts with the boys as he just enters Tull ... revised version compared to original version, he is much more chatty and friendly (or so it felt to me).

The Tull mob got it (aside from those final few who were running away) because Roland had no choice. They were attacking him. Had he not pulled ittsy and bitsy and got ta shootin', they would have minced him up for the church barb-be-que! The last few Tull villagers (the running away ones) were a victim of a Gunslinger with his "blood up" .. in the killing frenzy, if you like. So not being neighbourly like.

Hey, Syliva Pittston, I re-read that recently and was trying to figure out what was going on there. Its unclear in both original and revised texts. He certainly pops the gun between her thighs, but he doesn't let her touch him with her "secret flesh" ... (?) and is working something on her with some mojo to take the demon spirit out of her. It was a scene that could really have done a touch of clarification. Again, as with the cull in Tull, I see Roland just doing his civic duty here. Do you leave the mad evangelical demon possessed harpie bitch queen to carry on whipping up the township into dangerous stranger killing fury, or do you have a quiet word with the help of Mr Magical Gun, and try to calm the lady down.
Roland could have shot her after he got the information, I know I would have been tempted to if she went all Jerry Springer Guest on me!

Letti
07-22-2008, 03:04 AM
Rider_of_Discordia, believe me I do love Roland but in Gunslinger (revised or original) he was everything but friendly.
My two cents. :)

The Lady of Shadows
07-22-2008, 05:36 PM
RoD - "jerry springer guest" -- that is fucking hilarious! :lol:

cozener
07-23-2008, 02:59 PM
There are two things that, I suppose, people expect from a father...lessons and love. I could pick Roland or Cort but I think they'd only be able to fulfill that first role. If I want a father that will make me feel loved...Alain or Jake but I think they'd be to soft. My impression, even with as little as we know of him, is that Stephen Deschain would do best at fulfilling both roles...so I suppose there it is. Stephen Deschain. But I'm not speaking from experience. My father was a lot like Jake's.

Rosa as my mother. She, I think, would fulfill the traditional role well but I also think she'd be fun to have as a mother. She seemed relaxed and able to have a good time.

Eddie or Cuthbert...close cousin but not a brother. I don't think I'd ever sleep with either of those two clowns lurking in my house.

Mark
07-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Roland as my father, because i think he'd make a great dad. Susannah as my older sister, and Eddie her boyfriend that's really cool. Jake would be my younger brother. Oy would be the family pet. Also, if letti was married to Roland, Letti would be my Mum, which isn't that bad :) I'd want Callahan to be my crazy uncle, that's always funny at weddings and family get togethers.

Oh, and Greta Shaw as my comforting Auntie :evil:

The Lady of Shadows
07-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Roland as my father, because i think he'd make a great dad. Susannah as my older sister, and Eddie her boyfriend that's really cool. Jake would be my younger brother. Oy would be the family pet. Also, if letti was married to Roland, Letti would be my Mum, which isn't that bad :) I'd want Callahan to be my crazy uncle, that's always funny at weddings and family get togethers.

Oh, and Greta Shaw as my comforting Auntie :evil:

yeah, you're gonna need greta to keep roland from dropping you my friend. :P

Rjeso
07-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Ted as my grandfather, Roland as my father, Cuthbert as my brother, Olive Thorin as my grandmother.

Letti
07-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Also, if letti was married to Roland, Letti would be my Mum, which isn't that bad :)

Daaarling! :D

Ves'Ka Gan
07-29-2008, 07:12 AM
great thread!!!

ok.... i'd want Jake as a son, Oy as a pet, Susannah as a best friend, Eddie would be a much better BIG brother i think.. i'm not sure i'd want to be related to Roland as he wouldn't hesitate to sacrifice me for his tower. i agree that Moses Carver would make a kickass grandfather, but i think Aaron Deepeneau would too...Rosalita would be a good mom i think..
I totally agree--Eddie Dean as a BIG brother would rock my socks! Eddie really is the character I feel the closest to for some reason, so I imagine we'd have a lot of fun growing up together.

I think Aaron Deepeneau would make a cool grampa, too, or an older uncle. He'd be a really great older man to have around to wax philosophic or just pass the breeze.

I'd say I want Jake as a son or little brother, but I don't know. Maybe a nephew I could hang out with whenever I wanted. And Oy would definitely have to be my pet.

Ves'Ka Gan
07-29-2008, 07:13 AM
Oh, I forgot Callahan! I suppose I'd want him as an uncle, too. Uncle Callahan and Uncle Aaron!