PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations...

Darkthoughts
05-22-2007, 10:31 AM
...I'm a relative noob to horror, mostly because I'm a wuss, I've seen the classics like Evil Dead (the second one only), the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, American Werewolf in London...you get the gist.

So, what do you recommend, feel free to give a synopsis.

I recommend a bizarre little werewolf/Red Riding Hood fantasy horror I saw years ago called A Company of Wolves - I'll have to rewatch it, but it was great stuff.

Hannah
05-22-2007, 10:35 AM
A Company of Wolves is an older but really good movie. I used to watch that as a child with my father.

Darkthoughts
05-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Yeah, I was pretty young when I first saw it too, and also watched it with my Dad...he was the official finder of weird late night movies when I lived at home.

Matt
05-22-2007, 10:45 AM
I'll have to give that one a try.

I am also not much of a "horror" person when it comes to movies.

Hannah
05-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I was pretty young when I first saw it too, and also watched it with my Dad...he was the official finder of weird late night movies when I lived at home.

Hmm sounds exactly like my dad.

"Hey kids! Who wants to watch Pumpkinhead?"

Fall of Gilead
05-22-2007, 12:57 PM
Halloween
Puppetmaster
Phantasm
any of the Living Dead films
Hellraiser
Candyman
Saw
Jeepers Creepers
Nightbreed
Ring (or the original Japanese Ringu)
Session 9
Darkness Falls
the Alien series

Odetta
05-22-2007, 01:02 PM
what type of horror do you want?

If you like aliens/monsters, I would recommend the ALIEN series... the first two are the best of the 4.

If you like boogeyman types, I think watching Halloween is a must.

I am a big fan of anything done by John Carpenter... it's old school, but that's why I love it!

The Fly is a favorite of mine (the newer one - Jeff Goldblum)

Jimmy
05-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Jeepers Creepers 1 & 2
Session 9
Old Boy
28 Days Later
Audition

Those are my favorites, til I can think of more later.

Darkthoughts
05-23-2007, 02:02 AM
I saw Jeepers Creepers but wasn't mad on it. However, I've been told that Audition is sick (not in the good way :D ) by a horror fan friend...so I'm not sure I have the balls to watch that!!

I've seen bits of Halloween...but not the whole thing, it gets repeated alot though so I'll look out for it...I've seen the first 2 Alien films which were cool...I think stuff like Saw and Hostel are just too out and out gory (but only going by what I've been told) for me, I could stick the gore in something like Evil Dead 2 because I was too busy laughing. Is Army of Darkness similar in that way? What about the first one - thats more "serious" right?

Its weird, I mostly get freaked out after the film, when I can't switch off my imagination :D

OchrisO
05-23-2007, 02:04 AM
Oddly enough, the only movie to creep me out in years was Event Horizon.

Brice
05-23-2007, 04:03 AM
nosferatu
White Zombie
The Terror
House On Haunted Hill
The Phantom Of The Opera
Suspiria
Freaks
Rosemary's Baby
Halloween
Dementia-13
Willard
Wicker Man
Zombie
The original "living Dead" movies (Romero)
Psycho
The Birds
Alien
Wait Until Dark
The Bad Seed
Martin
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers
Let's Scare Jessica To Death
Eraserhead

Darkthoughts
05-23-2007, 10:34 AM
The Wicker Man is fantastic!! Christopher Lee was just perfect. And I love The Birds. Is Rosemary's Baby the one with Donald Sutherland?

Brice
05-23-2007, 10:49 AM
No, Rosemary's Baby stars John Cassavettes and Mia Farrow. It's written and directed by Roman Polanski, produced by William Castle, and based on an Ira Levin novel.

Odetta
05-23-2007, 11:28 AM
Army of Darkness is great! You HAVE to see that!

ASH RULES!

Darkthoughts
05-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Will do ;) A kid wearing a t-shirt saying "Bruce Almighty" with an Army of Darkness picture on it told me the same thing.

Brice - I'm thinking of the wrong film - I was thinking of the one with the child in red that drowns...is it called Don't Look Now or something?

Brice
05-23-2007, 11:25 PM
Yes, that sounds like "Don't Look Now".

And Army Of Darkness is a really good movie too.

Frunobulax
05-25-2007, 12:01 AM
Nosferatu is a good choice. Try the original with Max Schenck, as well as the Werner Herzog version.

Brice
05-25-2007, 03:37 AM
Ah yes, all my reccomendations were for originals. I hate remakes.

Odetta
05-25-2007, 06:24 AM
agreed.

I liked the original Hitcher, as well. Rutger Hauer is a bad, bad, man!

maerlyns_rainbow
05-25-2007, 06:42 AM
Someone mentioned Old Boy, and if that is the one I'm thinking of (by Park Chan Wook) then I didn't really consider it a horror film but it is a great piece of work! One of my personal faves. Sympathy for Lady Vengenace by Park Chan Wook is excellent as well.

As far as horror goes I'd reccommend:

Dawn of the Dead (original, although I liked the remake I guess)
Psycho by Hitchcock
House of 1000 Corpses (I like Rob Zombie)
The Devil's Rejects
Halloween
The Amityville Horror (again the original although the remake was terrible)
Sleepy Hollow (Tim Burton at his best)
Evil Dead (of course!)

That's just a few I really enjoyed. I've seen so many, and most are bad. :(

Spencer
05-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Army of Darkness. :dance:

kithereal
05-25-2007, 12:34 PM
A Company of Wolves is an older but really good movie. I used to watch that as a child with my father.

That was great movie and pretty scary....
there was a really funny moment in the movie....nobels are in a tent having a feast and they turn into wolves....they run out of the tent
and wipe out some geese that happen to be crossing the lawn....I laughed so hard I can't remember what happened next.

Odetta
05-25-2007, 12:39 PM
did anyone mention Army of Darkness yet? :lol:

Jimmy
05-25-2007, 01:58 PM
I saw Jeepers Creepers but wasn't mad on it. However, I've been told that Audition is sick (not in the good way :D ) by a horror fan friend...so I'm not sure I have the balls to watch that!!

Audition is sooooooooo goooooooood. And I can't believe I didn't say Event Horizen. Such a pinhead, I am.

Matt
05-25-2007, 02:09 PM
Event Horizon was creepy as hell.

I would also suggest "Wolf Creek"--its an Australian one based on a true story (according to the movie)

Jimmy
05-25-2007, 02:22 PM
Yes, it was listed in Bravo's "More Scary Movie Moments."

This is probably the best avenue to take on horror recommendations.

The first 100

http://www.filmsite.org/scariestscenes.html

And here's 30 more, just scroll down

http://www.43things.com/things/view/1162717

sullivan19
05-25-2007, 02:54 PM
I'd recommend the up coming remake of Halloween by Rob Zombie. The trailer had me pooping.

Fall of Gilead
05-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Last House on the Left.

Jimmy
05-25-2007, 06:27 PM
I'd recommend the up coming remake of Halloween by Rob Zombie. The trailer had me pooping.

Exactly, and the best part of the remake?

Danielle Harris from Halloween 4 and 5 has been cast as one of Laurie's friends. Zombie's the man because he gives props to what's come before, unlike the abysmal H20 and 20 Years Later that ignored that 4, 5 and 6 were even made.

Odetta
05-26-2007, 08:05 AM
Does anyone know why Halloween 3 was called Halloween 3? It really was the only one that was unrelated.

Darkthoughts
05-26-2007, 08:41 AM
^ was that the one where they made those pumpkin masks for kids that turned their heads into maggots and loads of gross stuff when they put them on?

Wolf Creek was grim! Sleepy Hollow is class! And the original Hitcher is GREAT!! Anyone picture Rutger Hauer as Mr Wednesday when reading American Gods?

Actually, I seem to have seen quite a few horrors for someone who's a self proclaimed wuss :D I saw this one, ages ago, I think it was called PIN - about a medical dummy that this kid becomes obsessed with and it kinda posesses him...really creepy - anyone know it?

What are some of the worst horrors you've seen, worst as in bad effects/script etc.

maerlyns_rainbow
05-26-2007, 08:52 AM

Audition is sooooooooo goooooooood. And I can't believe I didn't say Event Horizen. Such a pinhead, I am.

It was definitely frackin disgusting.

Army of Darkness was on AMC last night. It was awesomeness.

Baradin
05-26-2007, 10:57 AM
I watched Descent last night. I guess it was ok. Not bad if you like to jump right out of your skin. Which happened at least three times to me.

Jimmy
05-26-2007, 11:10 AM
Does anyone know why Halloween 3 was called Halloween 3? It really was the only one that was unrelated.

Marketability. Suffice to say, it was about the money, honey.

The_Nameless
05-26-2007, 07:46 PM
Jacob's Ladder.
The Exorcist
Fraility.
The Omen (original).
Rosemary's Baby.
Frankenstein (with Deniro).
Saw.
The Serpent and the Rainbow.
Se7en.
Hellraiser.
Halloween I and Halloween II (the only ones really worth seeing, in my opinion. Although the fourth one was okay.)
Strangeland.
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Tobe Hooper's)
8mm.
American Psycho.
The Birds.
Psycho.
Rear-Window.
Bubba Ho-Tep (It's more for laughs, than anything.)
Cache.
The Last Broadcast.
The Shining.
Idenity.
John Carpenter's The Thing.
Dusk 'Till Dawn.
Children of the Corn.
The Jacket.
Creepshow.(Also for laughs.)
Red Dragon.
Silence of the Lambs.
Hannibal.
(Although I am sure you've seen the last three mentioned. And they may be considered thrillers.)
Hellboy.
One Hour Photo.
Insomnia.
The Hitcher.
IT.

Jimmy
05-26-2007, 08:09 PM
Prince of Darkness and They Live. Any horror by John Carpenter, really.

Baradin
05-26-2007, 08:13 PM
They Live and Bubba Ho-Tep both came upon me completely unawares. I was so not expecting either of them to be what they were. Pure undistilled awesome.

Rowdy Roddy Piper and Bruce Campbell need to make a movie TOGETHER!!

Jimmy
05-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Have you seen the new Old Spice commerical with Bruce Campbell?

It's fucking cool as hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg6bZSM48vU

Baradin
05-26-2007, 08:47 PM
Ahoy!!!

I haven't even clicked yer link yet and I *know* it's Hungry Like a Wolf :D :D

Jimmy
05-26-2007, 08:48 PM
Damn right. They could NOT have picked a better song for him to do.

sullivan19
05-29-2007, 03:30 PM
Rowdy Roddy Piper and Bruce Campbell need to make a movie TOGETHER!!

Hear him, hear him!

VolsToTheWall
05-29-2007, 11:46 PM
Have you seen the new Old Spice commerical with Bruce Campbell?

It's fucking cool as hell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg6bZSM48vU

I caught that commercial on TV tonight, loved it. :D

Odetta
06-01-2007, 07:16 AM
[QUOTE=Darkthoughts;10563]^ was that the one where they made those pumpkin masks for kids that turned their heads into maggots and loads of gross stuff when they put them on?
QUOTE]

yes, that was the one.

Darkthoughts
06-01-2007, 12:36 PM
That was quite bizarre!
The only link it had to the other films was that bearded guy wasn't it?

Odetta
06-01-2007, 07:33 PM
I don't recall a bearded guy...

Darkthoughts
08-11-2007, 08:21 AM
The guy that was like overseeing the whole thing...he probably wasn't bearded, it was something like 12-15 years ago that I saw it.

The first Evil Dead film though, was that less tongue in cheek than Evil Dead 2?

And has anyone seen Skeleton Key - and if so how do you rate it? My sister recommended it, but we don't often see eye to eye on films.

Randall Flagg
08-13-2007, 06:51 AM
The first Evil Dead film though, was that less tongue in cheek than Evil Dead 2?

Not by much if at all. ED was very low budget. EDII was almost the same movie, but with a decent budget. EDIII (Army of Darkness) got even more preposterous.
I'd say they were all equally tongue in cheek.

Darkthoughts
08-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Why was Evil Dead banned for ages?

Randall Flagg
08-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Not here in the U.S. (that I am aware of).

Daghain
08-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Bookwise, I'd read Anne Rice's Witching Hour trilogy. Not über scary, but freaky, and really good historical fiction.

Actually, you can stop at The Witching Hour. the other two were anticlimatic, IMHO. But the first one was great. :)

MonteGss
08-13-2007, 08:07 PM
Bookwise, I'd read Anne Rice's Witching Hour trilogy. Not über scary, but freaky, and really good historical fiction.

Actually, you can stop at The Witching Hour. the other two were anticlimatic, IMHO. But the first one was great. :)

I agree with your last part. Lasher and Taltos were kinda crappy. I really like the main characters in TWH. I'm not sure I would call it "historical fiction" though. Fiction, with some history....and might be a stretch. :)

Daghain
08-13-2007, 08:09 PM
True. I can agree with that assessment.

The two later books were disappointing. I really loved The Witching Hour, though. I guess maybe I call it historical fiction because you get such a great background of the whole family. It totally bummed me out that the other two sucked by comparison. :(

MonteGss
08-13-2007, 08:20 PM
Have you read The Vampire Chronicles as well Daghain? I would suggest those books (well, most) also. Unfortunately, the last two books when Anne Rice tried to "merge" the witches and vampires, were not very good.

Daghain
08-13-2007, 08:30 PM
Yes, partly. I enjoyed the first one quite a bit. I don't think I went past that one.

I remember in high school I stumbled across some vampire books by Fred Saberhagen. Ever read those? I remember them as being really good, but it's literally been 20+ years since I read them. I'm not even sure they're still in print. I'd like to read them again - I had a teenage obsession with vampires and recall those books as being extremely good - I'd like to see if my 41-year-old self still thinks the same as my 17-year-old self. :D

Darkthoughts
08-14-2007, 03:10 AM
Don't know if I've ever read any of his stuff, but I also have a lingering vampire obsession, so I'll check him out if I can find him.
I remember reading They Thirst as a teenager and really digging that. However, I might just choose to let my memory of it being enjoyable remain a memory, I was so disappointed when I reread the first 3 Lestat books last year. She just seemed so cheesy and cliched, where I'd remembered her as being entirely the opposite.

I read the Witching trilogy and agree entirely with you and Monte.

I do recommend Code 61 by Donald Harstad though, very original twist and approach to a vampire story.