PDA

View Full Version : Wolves Of The Calla Q&A. *spoilers

Darkthoughts
07-07-2008, 03:24 AM
Thanks Maer, for delegating WotC to me - I do love this book!!
To me, we really get to see our ka-tet in action as gunslingers are meant to be in this story. There's something for everyone - action, suspense, romance, the supernatural...so tell me...

What was your favourite moment of this book?

What was your least favourite moment?

Were you pleased to be reacquainted with Pere Callahan? If you have read Salem's Lot, did it affect whether you were able to like/respect him?

Which relationship did you prefer? Susan and Roland or Rosalita and Roland?

What was your opinion of the Calla folken? Did you find them cowardly, or did you sympathise with them?

Did you like Roland more, or less in this story? Did you feel you saw a different side of him?

What was your initial reaction to the Susannah/Mia storyline?

What did you think the wolves would be? Did you think the battle was satisfying or an anti-climax?

Oh yeah, fuck Greta Shaw :lol:

Jean
07-07-2008, 03:35 AM

what moments are you talking about - it's my f***king favorite book!

everything involving talks is my favorite moment. Debates and palavers and negotiations and backstories

everything involving Callahan or Andy

Mia having dinner at the swamp

Were you pleased to be reacquainted with Pere Callahan? If you have read Salem's Lot, did it affect whether you were able to like/respect him?

I was happy. Not only as a reader - as a man and bear. It was like something important in my own life was finally put straight.

Rosalita and Roland, of course. They were real.

What was your opinion of the Calla folken? Did you find them cowardly, or did you sympathise with them?

I sympathized with them a lot. Tian talking to them the first time is one of my favorite pieces of world's literature.

Did you like Roland more, or less in this story? Did you feel you saw a different side of him?

Of course more, and MORE, and MORE. I forgave him everything when I heard "For Gilead and the Calla". It was more than I ever had expected of him.

Mistrust. I wasn't sure I needed an additional storyline.

What did you think the wolves would be?

I don't think ahead when I read. At one moment (when Eddie knew who they were, and thought something like "should have guessed long ago) I just understood who they were, and then it proved correct.

Did you think the battle was satisfying or an anti-climax?

It was perfect. Unlike some previous occasions, it finally made me believe all those miracles we had known about gunslingers theoretically. Indeed, the preparations took forever, but the battle was the shortest possible with minimum victims - that's how a military genius works.

mia/susannah
07-07-2008, 03:56 AM
For one, when Roland was dancing the Calla, and of course, the fight with the wolves, all moments of the book actually

What was your least favourite moment?susannah/mia eating all those nasty things

At first, I disliked Callahan, but as the story went on, I started to like and respect him a little. He would not be a favorite character of mine though

Rosalita and Roland. Rosalita was more mature and down to earth. The relationship seemed more real to me

I sympathised with them. It is hard to fight when you have no one that is willing to fight along side of you and you don't know that you can fight back

I love Roland in all the stories. But I did see a different side to him. He has started caring about others.

I love Susannah/Mia. Did not care for the parts where she ate the nasty things
What did you think the wolves would be? Did you think the battle was satisfying or an anti-climax?
I thought they would turn out to be some kind of mutants not robots. I was satisfyed with the battle. I was not happy that Ben died in the battle

Letti
07-07-2008, 04:34 AM
Jean, why did you like everything involving Andy?

Jean
07-07-2008, 04:47 AM
Jean, why did you like everything involving Andy?
he was, for me, the epitomy of all the more horrible sides of the whole saga. He incorporates lots of cultural contexts (obviously Pied Piper - less obviously the Third Reich, as I argued elsewhere); he is an animated mechanical toy; he is the very bottom of the bottomless abyss of human or non-human meanness; he is abomination incarnate, mocking and then betraying people who trust him... one of the scariest moments for me is when he is leading those laughing, singing kids down the street... and it is not at once that he is seen through by the ka-tet, either, and the whole process of the realization of his read purpose is great, too, - and, of course, the glorious shithouse finale!

Letti
07-07-2008, 06:18 AM
Great, great questions. Thank you, Lisa. :rose:

]What was your favourite moment of this book?
Roland dancing commala. My favourite moment of the series.

I don't think I had any... I am drinking these books. But Andy often pissed me off.

I haven't read Salem's Lot but I did like Callahan from the beginning. He will never become my favourite but I was hooked on his backstory and all his words.

They are so so different that I can't compare them, cry your pardon. I could choose either of them but it wouldn't be correct. Both of them were real, nice and deep but way too different on different levels.

Sometimes I was damn angry with them but the more I read about them the more I got to love them.
I could live there.

I don't really know... it's hard to tell because he was always my top favourite since my childhood. I can't say I loved or liked him more but my feelings got deeper and when he started to dance... I was crying.

First I was confused.. then surprised... then shocked... and there were things I was much more interested in (so many things were happening at the same time) still I liked it.

I didn't have the faintest idea.
The battle was excellent.

jayson
07-07-2008, 07:15 AM

My fav moment of this book is also my fav moment of the entire series.

"Oy. Eld. Thankee."

There really is no "least favorite" moment for me. I love the whole book. Sure, Mia's "feast" was repulsive, but it certainly shed some light on the nature of Susannah's pregnancy and the relationship between Susannah and Mia.

I initially read Salem's Lot so long before the publication of Wolves that I more or less forgot all about him until he reappeared. I was pleased to see him again mostly because of the way he handled himself in the early parts of the book [ie. encouraging the Calla folken to stand up for themselves].

Rosalita and Roland. Roland was much more mature at this point then he was at 14 so I felt the relationship was more honest, and something Roland really needed.

Can't it be both? I found them initially cowardly, but I certainly understand why they were that way since they had been terrorized for so many years. That said, I havementioned before that I have a HUGE amount of respect for Tian [he's one of my fav non-Tet characters in the series] and it is because he chose to stand before he knew about Roland coming and before he even had his neighbors on his side. Tian was the epitome of bravery for me. When the lives of your loved ones are at stake, it's better to stand and die than to cower and hide.

I liked him more, though I've never disliked him. I saw many sides of Roland in the Calla. Going back to my fav moment... when Oy introduces himself to the Calla folken, I saw a few interesting sides of Roland right there. It shows not only that Roland considered Oy part of the Tet, but showed that he knew exactly what he was doing as far as getting the folken on his side. It was a brilliant piece of strategy.

I thought it was cool and it made me a bit more interested in Susannah, who was beginning to get a bit dull.

From the first mention of "all grey horses" I suspected the Wolves were robots. I still think the fight was a good fight. Robots or not, there were a lot of them and they were deadly. I liked watching Roland's plans play out and how the tet and the sisters of Oriza came together to fight.

MonteGss
07-07-2008, 08:49 AM
The whole book!! I'm with Jean, this is the best of the series and I loved all of it. I admit, perhaps the long wait between 4 and 5 influenced me as I was sooooo excited when I finally read it but nevertheless, it's my favorite.

Difficult. I don't remember being displeased with anything. I did not like Andy for many of the reasons Jean found him interesting. He was another character I loved to hate.

It was awesome!! I only read Lot once before but I remembered him and I thought it was great. I loved his backstory that he told in the palaver scenes.

No question...easy. Roland and Rosalita. Rosa wasn't a silly little girl. :)

I agree with R_of_G on this one. Aren't they both? I also remember CK answering this question once and he said something I agree with. They were pretty much like most folk....some are good, some are brave, some are f*cking cowards, some are mean. King did a great job conjuring up a real community and overall my impression of them is a good one.

Roland kicks ass. Period. :) I'm not sure I would say we saw a different side to him but there is no denying he "grew" throughout the series. My mancrush for Roland never changed.

I liked it but I do wish Mia had been introduced earlier. Clearly, King had this storyline in mind way back in Wastelands. Roland noticed the signs back then and I wish she had made a little appearance maybe in (the crapfest of) Wizard & Glass.

I can't remember. I think I had a feeling but then again I remember being surprised. I liked the idea of the Wolves a lot though.

Great fight scene! I again agree with Jean...the battle should be quick when the brilliant Gunslingers are involved in it, planning it. :)

Agreed. She wasn't all that.

Ka-tet
07-08-2008, 06:02 AM
I have an exact part, i dont remember the quote. But its just before the battle with the wolves, roland says somthing that was really meaningful ><

The whole part with the dogan

Have not read salems lot, but i liked callahan

Susan hands down, Susan was Rolands true love.

Sympathy, i mean how can folk like that fight agaisnt creatures like the wolves?

We saw Roland as he should have always been, as a true gunsliger. I loved the side of Roland we saw in this book

Oh no, not again.

I had no idea what the wolves would be, and the battle was amazing.

Woofer
07-09-2008, 03:12 AM
I love this book and not just because it has wolves in the title. Number 1 moment: "Oy. Eld. Thankee." Words fail me. My heart swells at that scene.

Anything involving the baby.

I was very glad to see him again - and to see him redeeming himself after 'Salem's Lot. He deserved a chance at redemption.

Rosalita and Roland. I really dislike Susan.

A bit of both. Tian's talk at the meeting, as Jean and others note, is powerful and amazing.

A lot more. Once again, I agree with Jean about Roland's calling "...and the Calla" in battle.

Blah. Can't stand babies as plot devices. WARNING series spoiler: Indeed, it all turned out to be a whole lot of nothing. Mordred? Ugh. Mordred's fight with Roland? Double ugh. All those words could've gone to the real plot.

Before I even started reading I thought they might be some sort of Frankenstein monsters or programmed zombies. I forget when, exactly, I began to think they were robots.

It was perfect. Unlike some previous occasions, it finally made me believe all those miracles we had known about gunslingers theoretically. Indeed, the preparations took forever, but the battle was the shortest possible with minimum victims - that's how a military genius works.

^Again, agreeing with Jean on this. Great battle.

sarah
07-10-2008, 06:51 AM

everything Eddie.

Susannah eating naked at the creek and description of the frog.

Oh I loved that Callahan came back into play. I really liked his whole storyline.
Which relationship did you prefer? Susan and Roland (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=706) or Rosalita and Roland?

Well, they are completely different. Roland was a child when he was with Susan and a man with Rosalita. I do love Rosalita and would have liked her to continue on with the tet. She would've done well in Blue Heaven.

There were what they were. Scared and trying there best to survive.

Did you like Roland (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=706) more, or less in this story? Did you feel you saw a different side of him?

No. I saw him the way I always did I suppose. I feel like we got to know Roland for who he was best in The Drawing of the Three and The Wastelands.

Bleh, Honestly, I hoped Stephen King wasn't going to go there but after The Wastelands I guess I got used to the idea.

At first I wasn't sure but when Eddie figured it out, I guess I did too. I thought the battle was great. Loved it.

The Lady of Shadows
07-13-2008, 05:03 PM
running into pere callahan again. god that moment rocked!

finding out that susannah was actually eating frogs and things - eeeeeewww.

absolutely loved meeting up with the pere again. i always wondered what happened to him after the lot and this was a wonderful surprise. it definitely affected not only whether i was able to like/respect him (yes to both) but it made me see him in a whole new light. i thought so little of him and he became a much larger person for me. a much bigger soul.

definitely roalita and roland. she was a real woman. she knew what she wanted and what he needed. she wasn't some little girl looking to be saved from her life. my greatest hope for roland is that when he is done looping he will find himself back with rosa.

for the most part i disliked the calla folken. there were many exceptions, don't get me wrong. but i thought they were cowards who wouldn't stand up for their children. they needed outsiders to come in and hold their damn hands. i don't care what is going on - you protect your children. period.

i loved roland in this story. he really became a hero for me here. i really, finally, understood what it meant to be a gunslinger. i really, finally, understood what the world must have been like to have gunslinger available. and i really respected his abilities.

i hated this book the first several times i read it. it was at the bottom of my list for so long. now it has moved up, way up. i finally understand it i think. my initial reaction was disgust and anger (anger that this was happening to her again, anger that eddie didn't notice); my reaction this reread was sadness and compassion.

i don't know what i expected of the wolves. but then when the reveal came i thought - of course, what else could they be. and i remember feeling really stupid that i didn't see it coming. i thought the battle was very satisfying. and very dramatic.

oh yeah, greta shaw is the bomb. :lol:

Tony_A
07-16-2008, 10:15 AM

Everything, but mainly Jake's struggles after learning of Slightman's treachery. Really showed his struggle between being a gunslinger and a kid.

Not much I didn't like

EXTREMELY pleased. Good to know that he was given a second chance and used it farily well.

You never forget your first love, but that doesn't mean you can feel for someone else. Besides, she helped him with the dry twist.

They are extremely cowardly. I don't have kids of my own, but my parents would sacrifice themselves for me and my siblings, and I'd like to think I'd do the same. However, it is very easy to accept the seemingly inevitable.

My opinion of him didn't really change much. He's pretty much the same, IMO

My first reaction was "another personality?? How much more can she take??"

After reading Jamie Jafford's story, I suspected they were like Shardik because of the picture of the wolf being killed and Eddie's reaction.

As for the battle, it pretty much went the way I thought it would.

Tiffany
07-16-2008, 11:56 AM
The introduction of the gunslingers to the calla-folken, especially Oy's. I also loved Roland asking them two of the three questions, then asking Zallia Jaffords the final question very nonchallantly.

The introduction of Mia. I hate her.

It's been too long since I've read Salem's Lot but I did remember him and was happy to see him.

Roland and Rosalita. She seemed good for him.

I sympathised with them. There were definitely a couple that I didn't like (Took, the shopkeeper) but for the most part, I liked them.

I liked him about the same, which is to say a LOT! I did feel like he didn't seem quite so hard in this book.

"I don't care if she DID let Susannah take part in the battle before taking over...I can't stand her already. She made Susannah eat a frog!"

I wasn't really sure what the wolves would be. Like Jean said, I don't usually think ahead when reading. I like to be surprised when I come to the resolution or when a mystery is solved. As for the battle.....LOVED IT. I found it to be very satisfying and exciting.

Brainslinger
07-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Can I have two? For some reason I found the part when they went todash and found New York (and another set of legs for Susannah) again. It was just such a magical scene. Another was Pere Callahan's back-story. EDIT- Oh yeah, that whole bit with Jake hiding out in the dogan and listening in on Andy and co, I found that very exciting. Ok that's three points..., never mind.

I'm not sure. It was a bit slow going in places, what with the wandering around, and planning... but I didn't really dislike that either. Maybe how quickly the final confrontation played out.

I also thought it a bit convenient that the only long range weapons the Wolves had was their sneetches. True they're fearsome weapons, but easily despatched by trained gunslingers. At the start we were led to believe they had guns too, which would have posed more of a threat. It also seemed a bit convenient that the Wolves were the kind of robots with thinking caps, although I can understand the logic of that, being specialized drones, likely controlled from a faraway source rather than sentient like Andy. That last is small potatoes though.

I was very pleased! I rather liked him in Salem's Lot, and I liked the character he had become, and found his back-story most interesting.

I'm not all that fussed with relationships really. I found the first with Susan a bit sappy, but it was true love so I guess I'll go with that one. I think Rosalita was a good character mind. I just found that relationship rather casual. (For some reason it bugged me that Roland's squeeze so happened to be the best plate thrower besides Suze though. I like 'special skills' to be spread out more fair like, but that's not really life, so fair enough.)

A bit of both I think. I found them a bit irritating at the start, but when they were given a push they stood true. With some exceptions.

More in some ways, less in others. It was certainly interesting to see more of the diplomatic side of him, something we were introduced to in The Waste Lands. I didn't like it when he threatened those men who watched the Riza training though. I understand why he did it, and he likely wouldn't have carried out his threat as he said himself that he knew they would talk anyway, but I didn't like it.

I was very intrigued.... but part of me thought "Oh no, not that other personality nugget again." Of course it turned out things weren't quite what they seemed, but we didn't know that at this stage did we? It felt a bit out of the blue, since we get the impression that those little forays into the wild had actually been happening for quite some time, but I found it all rather fascinating and not a little gross.

At the start I thought they might be the wolfs enlisted from the Territories. But then I thought, why the masks?

>Oh yeah, fuck Greta Shaw

No thank you... although that saying "more bounce for your ounce" has a certain attraction...

Naughty boy! I know....

Empath of the White
07-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Oops, forgot this part. Heh. In Callahan's tale the meeting with Sayre. I liked the incorporting of the low men and the vampires.

Susannah running off to New York.

I was definitley able to respect him. The part where he refused to abort Mordred was very interesting because I wasn't entirely sure if he had actually regained his faith. It still seemed very shaky, and that even without it he would still follow the traditions was interesting.

Rosalita and Roland; gave me some pick up lines. Thankee sai Kig.

I could sympathise with their plight but not the choices of certain folken. Calling them collectively cowardly seems unfair; look at Tian and the Pere.

Tell ya true I missed the more intimidating side of him. Him getting a bit softer seemed odd. I kinda missed the Roland who wouldn't have hesitated to kill the traitor Slightman. The dark, slightly scary protagonist is what brought me to the series!

50/50

I thought they would be undead from Thunderclap with augmentation from old Positronics/LaMerk robotics. The final battle was satisfying and true as Roland said.

And cause I wanna be with the cool crowd, fuck Gretta Shaw.

After reading the arguments that are pro fuck Gretta Shaw, I find myself agreeing with the pro fuck Gretta Shaw crowd. I suspect she is/was a sleeper agent of the Red.

The Lady of Shadows
07-22-2008, 07:14 PM
empath - do you not have a favorite moment?
and why do you assume that they are the cool crowd? :lol:

Jean
07-22-2008, 08:03 PM
as opposed to what?
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_whistle.gif

Woofer
07-23-2008, 04:28 AM

empath - do you not have a favorite moment?
and why do you assume that they are the cool crowd? :lol:

as opposed to what?
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_whistle.gif

http://psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/thpt2.gif

The Lady of Shadows
07-23-2008, 08:33 PM
so woofer? what exactly are you trying to say here? :lol:

Woofer
07-24-2008, 02:58 AM
http://psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/innocentgrin.gif

I mean: Be the ball, Danny. Be the ball.

http://psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/headbanger.gif

Whitey Appleseed
01-16-2009, 04:59 AM
The Priest's Tale, all parts of it.

Can't think of one at the moment.

Yeah, you betcha! I've had those same dharma blues, or something.

Neither one over the other. Though I enjoyed the sub-text to do with Rosalita's privy and rather than state the multiple connotations therein, (for me and I don't matter...I'll get off the lawn after I finish Book 7) I'll leave that part of the page blank.

Cowardly, though I could sympathize with their position, to a degree. They don't fit Susannah's perfect definition of a ka-mai: one who has been given hope but no choices. They made a bad choice until the gunslingers arrived.

Though that storyline is developed more in the next book, and one could use that book to make a fairly persuasive argument here in this section of the board about Mia and what may or may not have happened with her and the rose, I dunno, delaying...don't recall my initial reaction, probably enjoyed it because on multiple readings I caught things I missed the first speedy time through.

Took me a couple reads to realize what the wolves are...d'oh! as Homer Simpson is wont to say. How the seven hid hits close to home for personal reasons. Yeah, the battle seemed like it was portrayed as I thought it should have been.

EdwardDean1999
01-26-2009, 03:24 PM

Eddie v. Andy
-or-
Eddie v. Balazar's men

Jake's coming of age via Benny's death. It was only the least favorite because of the huge downer note.

yes.

Rosalita? She meant about as much to him as Alyce of Tull. Susan by far.

Simple. They reminded me of the people in the small town I just moved too. They don't want to be bothered by change.

I liked him more. I saw Roland more as a father to the katet. In books 1-4 SK kept referring to the relationship between him and Jake as Father-son, but I didn't really feel that bond until W of the C

Seriously? The split personality thing again? I thought we overcame this.

Once you learn the secret from Grandpere you think, man the katet could knock this out in their sleep. I was expecting a slaughtering of the Wolves. I was impressed that they did so much damage. I liked the battle sequence.

EdwardDean1999
01-26-2009, 03:27 PM
[QUOTE= How the seven hid hits close to home for personal reasons. [/QUOTE]

Can I ask how it hit close to home, or is it too personal to bring up?

Letti
01-27-2009, 09:30 AM

Rosalita? She meant about as much to him as Alyce of Tull. Susan by far.

Huh, why do you think so?

ICry4Oy
01-27-2009, 10:27 AM

All things Oy, duh, but especially when he introduced himself to the Calla folken.

Roland dancing. I cringed the entire time I was reading it. Still cringe just thinking about it.

At first I hated him because of the Lot, but he grew on me and I eventually loved him.

If I had to pick I'd say Rosalita because I just couldn't stand Susan. But Rosalita seemed more like a convenient booty call to me.

Partially sympathize but mostly just think they were a cowardly bunch.

I liked Roland from ...and the Gunslinger followed...

Sybil is that you?

Had the wolves figured out very early into the book. The battle was awesome!

Letti
01-27-2009, 11:15 AM

Roland dancing. I cringed the entire time I was reading it. Still cringe just thinking about it.

That's my favourite part from the whole series. :)

ICry4Oy
01-27-2009, 11:43 AM
LOL! All I could think of while I was reading it was....."riverdancing". :doh:I hate riverdancing.

Wuducynn
01-28-2009, 05:37 AM
But Rosalita seemed more like a convenient booty call to me.
Not that there is anything wrong with that! ;) I think there was potential for it to become more if he went back to Calla Bryn Sturgiss.

Partially sympathize but mostly just think they were a cowardly bunch.

Most of them were. That was the genius of the plan, is to have cowardice be taught as an acceptable part of their culture for generations. It reminds me of similar situations in this world that I won't go into because it's off the topic of the thread. ;)

Django
02-06-2009, 04:58 AM

Father Callahan's story. And I haven't even read 'Salem's Lot.

The first todash and Mia part.

As I said, I haven't read 'SL before, but I loved Callahan's character.

Susan. I didn't take Rosalita seriously.

I sympathized with their cowardice. :cyclops:

More. He has a lot of sides to him, that's what draws me to him all the time.

Like most of the people, I thought it was too distracting. I'll have to see where it goes from here.

I presumed they'd be something like that. The battle was a great ending, I would've preferred if it ended right there before the epilogue (although there was good stuff there too.) It would have made a great cliffhanger after the Calla chapter was done.

Anastasia
02-26-2009, 06:31 AM
Roland’s dance
Oy’s introducing himself
Roland’s tactics while speaking with people of Calla. As well as his final speech before the battle
Callahan finding out that there was a book about him

Susannah having split mind once again…don’t know but it was a bit annoying…

I haven’t read Salem’s Lot but in the whole I thought Callahan story was too long, there were too many unneeded details…Yes, the hidden highways and alternative worlds with all that different banknotes were interesting but still. I also didn’t quite like that vampires were involved.

Susan and Roland definitely. She was Roland’s first and true love. But at the same time his relations with Rosalita seemed true and that was what he really needed at that time.

Yes, I sympathized with them a lot!

First I thought they were just ordinary people in masks…but later all that robots came to my mind and I thought that maybe the wolves were robots too, though I wasn’t sure till we found out the truth.

candy
06-13-2009, 05:09 AM
i think out of all the books, WoC is the one on which my thoughts changed completley on a reread so for that reason i have given 2 answers to the questions, and i hope you will forgive me and understand my reasons

What was your favourite moment of this book?[/B]
1st read Oy introducing himself on the stand - for the whole cuteness factor
2nd read Rolands relationship with rosalita (see below)

1st read - mia and the whole eating thing (see below)
2nd read - jakes friendship with benny slightman, knowing what was coming it hurt to know that yet more of jakes childhood would be ripped away

1st read - i hated it, i wondered what the hell he was doing in my book!!!!
2nd read - i appreciated the fact that i now knew what had happened to him, and that he had quite a part to play for my Ka tet

1st read- didnt really give it much of a thought in all honesty, i just wanted to get to the action
2nd read - rosalita, as roland had aged and matured and appreciated rosi.
Susan in my opinion was only the lust of youth and was never really rolands love, that my dear readers was always the tower.
rosi seemed to be so comfortable with roland and vice versa and i could see him returning to her one day.

cowardly bunch of bastards - apart from the plate throwing women

1st read, not so much
2nd read - i do! due to his relationship with rosi and also his relationship with jake grows in this book, into a more father figure as opposed to a din.
he was concerned for jakes friendship with benny because he knew it would come to no good

1st read - what the bloody hell!!!!! why!??????

2nd read - knowing what i knew had to come - i enjoyed this a lot better and appreciated more the complexity of Mia, as she was not really another figment of Susannah but a whole other being. - i actually liked this story line on the 2nd read, esp roland following into the bog

i thought the wolves would be something like the lowmen, so i was surprised when they werent. i did feel the battle was surprisingly short, but then again it would be in real life:wtf:

Lily-sai
06-13-2009, 06:16 PM
When Oy stood up and said 'Oy! Eld! Thankee!'. aww.

All those Mia's visits to the 'Palace' (I'm not sure of the correct name, I read it in Finnish). It just.. disgusted me, but that was a part of the story, so I bore with it.

Yes. I haven't read Salem's Lot, but I liked Pere Callahan instantly. A great addition to Roland's ka-tet, though just temporarily.

I think with Rosalita it was just sweet, gentle affection, not true love. And with Susan it was the love of youth, overdramatic and fierce. So I can't choose between them.

I sympathised with them, because though I don't have children, I have two little brothers I pratically raised all myself when I was 14, and they're very dear to me. So I think I would have mixed feelings about fighting against Wolves - I'd want to destroy them, but I would also be afraid of losing my children.

I liked him all the same, my feelings towards him didn't change.

I felt so sorry for Susannah, and oddly, for Mia, too.

I really didn't know what they would be, I was completely clueless. The battle was great, full of strong emotions and action.

Josh19
06-22-2009, 05:18 AM
The Ka-tet arriving at Calla Bryn Sturgis; Roland's dancing, Oy's talking and Eddie being forced to make a speech by Roland were all good. Also, just before and after the fight with the Wolves when Roland tells off Slightman the Elder

Mia's parts mainly because the split personality bored me in TDotT and was even worse here with yet another personality. The bits when the ka-tet went todash were also fairly boring, mainly because I don't really care for New York having never been there or even into the USA.

I haven't read Salem's Lot but I liked him immediately because it made a change to find a religious person in a King book who isn't the sort of person you'd want to punch such as the Mother from Carrie, and Frannie's Mother in the Stand. He was generally an awesome guy what with the vampire fighting and not talking any crap from the cowards in Calla Bryn Sturgis.

I preferred Rosalita by far; hated Susan because she took Roland away from his friends and upset Cuthbert, who's my favourite character from the "flashback" in WaG.

I despised most of them for only joining in with the good times such as the dancing and the friendly talking with the ka-tet, and leaving the fighting and planning to the others. I admired the people who did fight, however.

My opinion of him didn't change much, to be honest. We'd already seen his human side in WaG and his coldness in the Gunslinger but it was nice to see him feel a lot more comfortable with Eddie, Susannah and Jake, even if he did keep the secret of Mia.

"Great. Another split-personality story" Kept that opinion right to the end of the book and I still have it now.

When I got the book I flipped through to look at the illustrations and saw Eddie shooting Andy which I assumed to be one of the Wolves. So I guessed that the Wolves were robots, which made me right, but for the wrong reason.

AcidBumbler
06-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Hmm... the bit when Oy and Jake sneaked in and caught Andy and Ben out.
And the battle.
OOO and the bit where Callahan finds out he's fictional!

The bits with Tia in... she annoyed the hell out of me for some reason.. o.O

I loved being able to read about him again! I really liked him in 'Salem's Lot, so it was good to know what happened to him. Also, it definitely made me respect him more and I was glad to read that he recovered from Barlow's ''bite'' in the end.

There's no contest... Susan.
Bird and Bear and Hare and Fish :huglove:

I found Took very cowardly and conceited. I sympathised with the ones who went against Roland's ka-tet at first, but eventually I just ended up annoyed at them for being so pig-headed. Notice how the ones who weren't threatened were the ones to go against the uprising? Wonder why...
Although I'll admit I did feel a little sorry for him when they knocked the hat off his head and drove him away. Though he did deserve it, so... =/

More. Much more. The more I read about Roland, the more I love him. He's brilliant.
And I really don't like the dry twist and rheumatiz getting at him... he's too amazing to end up like that ¬_¬
Plus, I think Wolves of the Calla shows a much more vulnerable side to Roland. A more human side, if you get me?

Not much surprise... it had to happen.
BUT I still really liked and welcomed that turn; it definitely made it much more interesting.
It was pretty revolting when she started eating frogs and all that, but it was really effective.

I didn't have any idea, if I'm honest...
The closest I could've come to guessing was that they might've been some kind of mutie human with a sensitive spot on their foreheads.
The battle was very satisfying; I felt really scared for Jake and Benny when Frank screwed up like that. It was horrible that Benny died, too, but that made it more epic.
Brilliant example of King's genius. :D

AcidBumbler
06-22-2009, 01:59 PM

I forgot about that!
Definitely that bit, too xD
And the bit when Oy says "Kiyet, ka" :)

AcidBumbler
06-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Oh and, just to add... another of my least favourite bits was Callahan being a complete tw** by not allowing Susannah to even contemplate abortion.
What right did he have to force his beliefs down on them like that? None whatsoever.
I partially blame him for Mia having her little triumph at the end there.
Chap indeed... ¬_¬
:pullhair:

Letti
06-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Oh and, just to add... another of my least favourite bits was Callahan being a complete tw** by not allowing Susannah to even contemplate abortion.
What right did he have to force his beliefs down on them like that? None whatsoever.
I partially blame him for Mia having her little triumph at the end there.
Chap indeed... ¬_¬
:pullhair:

Callahan had no other choice. He stood for his belief and for his God.

cody44
07-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Since I just finished this story, I'll contribute.

Pere Callahan's story, and the skipping between different whens. I also liked Andy's death by Eddie, and of course the final battle.

Susannah and her midnight outing. I really don't like Mia.

I loved having Pere Callahan back, he was so emotionally scared at the end of Salem's Lot, and I love seeing him have a shot at redemption.

I think Susan was Roland's real love, and it seemed to me Roland was just enjoying Rosalita's company and the body rubs. I don't however think Rosalita and Roland would have ever been able to love as deeply as Susan and Roland.

I sympathized with the people who tryed to stand up for their town, like Pere Jafford and Molly, but I thought a lot of them were weak. I did like a few of them though, the Jaffords, Sisters of Oriza, and Benny. :cry:

I think Roland was true to his character in this story, he acted how I thought he would, and I think he knows the tower is drawing close. :evil:

I hated it at first, but I want to see what happens. The end was a huge cliffhanger. :excited:

I thought they would be creatures out of Thunderclap, but I thought they may be robots because of the Dogan. I'm more interested in who Finli O'tega is. The battle as awesome, and one of my favorite parts. A lot of building up to that moment.

lisaki
09-08-2009, 04:08 AM

When Jake asked Roland if he could spend the night in Benny Slightman and we feel that his chlildhood is so fragile but very much alive. King ended that chapter saying something along the lines "he said to his new friend that, yes, they'd play". I cried.

The introduction of Mia. I started to like the character much later.

I ve read "Salem's Lot" and I was very happy to "see" Pere Callahan again. I was also happy to read about Ben and Mark.

I was surprised to see so many people prefer Roland's + Rosa's relationship over Roland's + Susan's. We dont know anything about this relationship! We learn almost anything about them, except that they sleep together. We don't even know how they feel about each other, and we never learn Rosa's story or see a narration from her point of view. In SoS there's a nice scene with Rosalita but that's it. There's no comparition...

Some very interesting characters in Calla. Tian's family was great, loved the playground scene with Eddie. The Slightmans were also excellent, and I loved Margaret.

I didn't like the fact that he tried to keep secrets from the ka-tet. I'd like the ka-tet in this story to be stronger, not weaker. But he was Roland. And all this physical pain he went through made him more loveable in my eyes.

Like someone else said "NOT AGAIN!!!"

I figured it out early, the book has many-many hints. I liked the battle because it was short. I don't like reading about battles a lot. I prefer dialogue :)

Jean
09-08-2009, 07:31 AM
[B]
I was surprised to see so many people prefer Roland's + Rosa's relationship over Roland's + Susan's. We dont know anything about this relationship! We do know far more than enough about the other one, though.http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_tongue.gif

lisaki
09-09-2009, 01:37 AM
We do know far more than enough about the other one, though.

So? Does this fact give us the "right" to decide which relathinship was "better"? It's like chosing the best girl/boyfriend for your kid. What about his/her opinion? Im sure everybody knows that Roland would chose Susan without a second thought if he could. He wouldn't even consider staying with Rosalita if he had to make a decision like that. And, maybe, we know that much about that relationship and so little about the other because the writer himself decided which was and wich wasn't important. Im sure SK could easily make SoS another 300 pages long (WoC is already a big novel) if he wanted us to consider Rosa as an important character.

Jean
09-09-2009, 02:07 AM
I am sorry lisaki, it was only a joke. Seriously, though, I do believe that Roland/Susan relationship had no future, while Roland and Rosalita could be a success, under propitious circumstances; developing it further in this thread would be off-topic, but there's a long discussion on the subject here (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=357).

lisaki
09-09-2009, 02:42 AM
I am sorry lisaki, it was only a joke.
I know :P
But I thought I should answer anyway :cool:
Thanks for the link :)

yesterday's_eyes
09-23-2009, 09:02 PM
Oy introducing himself/Jake shooting the plates.

The whole banquet hall Mia thing

Loved Callahan.

Rosalita and Roland

Depends on who it was. I really hated some of them and liked others.

More definitely. I love Roland in this one.

Not my favorite storyline but what can you do.

I really hadn't thought that far ahead. I really love the battle though.

Jean
09-23-2009, 09:34 PM
<...>
Loved Callahan.

<...>
Rosalita and Roland

<...>I really love the battle though.
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

MPatrick
11-19-2009, 01:02 PM
I've been slowly reading through the series again, and finally read this book for the second time. I LOVE this book! From Pere's story, to Oy's greeting, all the way to end with the bookcase. Of course, it's based very highly on one of my favorite movies as well, and I loved that there wound up being 7 of them to stand.:clap:

I loved this book so much I can't just pick one. I loved how it really got into how diplomatic you need to be when you are a gunslinger. I know we were given pieces of information regarding the old ways, but seeing them in action was a blast.
One of my favorite lines of the series has to be: "For Gilead and the Calla! Now gunslingers! Now, you Sisters of Oriza! Now, now! Kill them! No quarter!" Just awesome at it's awesomest!

Jean's moment of Mia in the woods is up there for me. I was concerned about the new "other" in Susannah's mind.

When Benny the Younger died. I could almost feel Jake's pain.

I've actually never read Salem's Lot. Saw the bad movie and the more modern day mini-series. But I hardly remember the old movie, and I saw the mini series after reading Wolves. I did like the tying in of another of his worlds though.

Susan is the "one", while Rosa was more of a companion. Apples and oranges really.

I have to say both. I could understand the fear they live with, but at the same time how do you not protect your children? For the most part, I sympathized.

Definitely more! I loved the struggle he had when holding secrets. Loved the conflict we really get to see going on his mind.

First reaction was "Uh-Oh"! Really worried about it, and was afraid that it was going to ruin what otherwise was a fantastic story.

At first, I thought the Wolves would be some kind of vampire or supernatural creature. Once the talk of the horses all looking the same, and more hints that they had seen this type of thing before, I started figuring what they really were.
I loved the battle! I love the fact that it wasn't this sprawling 100 page battle, but a snapshot of the 5 minutes Roland talks about. I could almost hear the "light sticks".

Lily-sai
11-19-2009, 01:35 PM

I forgot about that!
Definitely that bit, too xD
And the bit when Oy says "Kiyet, ka" :)

Forgive me for asking this - where was this again? :)

Sickrose
12-30-2009, 12:51 PM

Roland remembering Jericho HIll

The start of the Mia storyline

Yes and I have read Salem's Lot but a while ago. I had more respect for him after reading about his life after the lot.

Susan and Roland

I sympathised but also found them annoying when they thought they could tell Roland and his Tet what to do. It's not for them to tell Knights of the Eld what to do!

I liked him more especially the blossoming father-son relationship between Roland and Jake it's touching.

I didint like the whole Multiple personaility thing. Again with that!

I thought they would be vampires and I found the battle satisfying. Roland's kept saying that it would all end in those five minutes. i liked how they all sprang up from the ditch and kicked arse!!

Delacroix
03-10-2010, 11:37 AM

=> The whole Dogan stuff. I really like to have a glimpse at a whole mysterious strcture thourgh a detail. The Dogan is a detail, a small part of the whole North Central Positronics and Lamerk business.
There is nothing I enjoy more than uncovering, step by step, the skeleton of a dead giant. Understanding all the rules of the ancien world, trying to see how they lived and discovering all what they had set up for a futur that never came. I found all this in Andy and the Dogan, even if that's a very small part of the book.

=> Meet Black Thirteen. I loved the feeling of absolute power coming out of that glass ball.

=> Gosh when I saw the name of Stephen King inside his own book, I felt like screaming. I just can't stand authors featuring their own story.

=> Never heard of him before.
He really attracted me at his first appearance as a strong old guy, during the Town gathering. I didn't really enjoy his story though, and I was as pissed as Eddie when he refused Susannah to get rid of the monster inside her. But again, all things serves Ka, so did he.

=> Wow, I can't compare that. The Roland and Susan relationship is very set on a very long period, unlike Roland and Rosalita's.

I'd rather compare Roland/Rosalita to Jonas/Coral, both aren't much told about. Both are quite subtle and very true. Roland and Susan are very classical and like Romeo and Juliet.

=> First I was confused, I didn't know who was who. Even if it got better as the story went on, I kept looking up from the book and think hard each time I saw the name of Overholser, Eisenhart or their wives'...
In the end the one I prefer is Slightman the father.

=> The folken as a whole aren't really easy to think of. I can't really say if I like them or hate them.

=> LESS, I'm stupid and I know it, but each time Roland steps away from who he was in the first tome, my affection for him decreases. I fell in love with that man that could let a kid fall to his death, just to chase his Tower.

=> I thought it was a good idea. It really fits the wild creature always sleeping in Susannah's body. Detta was another version of that same creature. I'm not the tiniest bit disturbed by Mia eating raw frogs (cuz I'm french, duh!) or other stuffs.

=> I thought the wolves would be some kind of vampires or human-like creatures. I thought they would be incredibly clever, incredibly strong (even bare-handed) and that combined to their amazing weapons, their skills would make them the toughest enemies Roland had ever met. :-/

You can imagine my disappointment.

=> ANTI-CLIMAX. A whole big book coming down to that. I was really disapointed.
During pages and pages you're given the impression that Roland is preparing a great plan with lies and traps and ambushes (yes, many of them) and various battles. In the end they spurt out of a ditch and take down all the said-to-be-dreadfull wolves that turn out to be...Marvel characters?!
I'm sorry to say so but I didn't like it.

RolandLover
06-16-2011, 10:49 AM

Roland introducing his Ka-tet to the people of Calla and trusting Eddie with a speech

Mia taking over

Never rewad Salem's Lot so Pere Callahan's story was new to me and I liked it

Rosalita and Roland simply because as Rosa said "they were well me". Also Roland liked that he was her man even if it was for a little while. Plus he showed her affection by hugging her in front of the women of Calla when they were practicing throwing the plates. Susan/Roland I found utterly boring.

I found them cowardly especially because they wouldn't fight to keep their kids safe

I love Roland more and more as the quest went on. When he danced showed me a different side. I was actually surprised

The Susannah/Mia storyline was disgusting and I didn't think a whole needed to dedicated to them

I actually thought they were going to wolves lol. The battle was good and loved how Roland was the leader

grobblewobble
08-15-2011, 12:27 PM

=> The whole Dogan stuff. I really like to have a glimpse at a whole mysterious strcture thourgh a detail. The Dogan is a detail, a small part of the whole North Central Positronics and Lamerk business.
There is nothing I enjoy more than uncovering, step by step, the skeleton of a dead giant. Understanding all the rules of the ancien world, trying to see how they lived and discovering all what they had set up for a futur that never came. I found all this in Andy and the Dogan, even if that's a very small part of the book.

=> Meet Black Thirteen. I loved the feeling of absolute power coming out of that glass ball.

=> Gosh when I saw the name of Stephen King inside his own book, I felt like screaming. I just can't stand authors featuring their own story.

=> Never heard of him before.
He really attracted me at his first appearance as a strong old guy, during the Town gathering. I didn't really enjoy his story though, and I was as pissed as Eddie when he refused Susannah to get rid of the monster inside her. But again, all things serves Ka, so did he.

=> Wow, I can't compare that. The Roland and Susan relationship is very set on a very long period, unlike Roland and Rosalita's.

I'd rather compare Roland/Rosalita to Jonas/Coral, both aren't much told about. Both are quite subtle and very true. Roland and Susan are very classical and like Romeo and Juliet.

=> First I was confused, I didn't know who was who. Even if it got better as the story went on, I kept looking up from the book and think hard each time I saw the name of Overholser, Eisenhart or their wives'...
In the end the one I prefer is Slightman the father.

=> The folken as a whole aren't really easy to think of. I can't really say if I like them or hate them.

=> LESS, I'm stupid and I know it, but each time Roland steps away from who he was in the first tome, my affection for him decreases. I fell in love with that man that could let a kid fall to his death, just to chase his Tower.

=> I thought it was a good idea. It really fits the wild creature always sleeping in Susannah's body. Detta was another version of that same creature. I'm not the tiniest bit disturbed by Mia eating raw frogs (cuz I'm french, duh!) or other stuffs.

=> I thought the wolves would be some kind of vampires or human-like creatures. I thought they would be incredibly clever, incredibly strong (even bare-handed) and that combined to their amazing weapons, their skills would make them the toughest enemies Roland had ever met. :-/

You can imagine my disappointment.

=> ANTI-CLIMAX. A whole big book coming down to that. I was really disapointed.
During pages and pages you're given the impression that Roland is preparing a great plan with lies and traps and ambushes (yes, many of them) and various battles. In the end they spurt out of a ditch and take down all the said-to-be-dreadfull wolves that turn out to be...Marvel characters?!
I'm sorry to say so but I didn't like it.

I agreed with almost every word of this response. I especially don't get how you can be a King fan and not like Mia eating horrible things in a swamp to feed a demon child.. I loved that bit. I was actually a bit disappointed that she didn't eat a child or something, but I guess it would have messed things up too much.

Jean
08-15-2011, 07:47 PM
I especially don't get how you can be a King fan and not like Mia eating horrible things in a swamp to feed a demon child.. I loved that bit. I was actually a bit disappointed that she didn't eat a child or something my feelings exactly

grobblewobble
08-16-2011, 05:20 AM
By the way, I didn't regard the population of the Calla as cowards at all. What choice did they really have? They had no more than sticks and stones to fight against an enemy with modern weaponry. If they somehow would manage the courage to rebel against the wolves, as they had in the past, the result would inevitably be that their children would still be taken and roont, but in addition many more people would be killed.

And when the gunslingers arrived, you have to keep in mind that the population didn't even know for sure that they were actually gunslingers and could be trusted, nor could they have known that the fight would go so well. With only a little bad luck, the fight could have turned into a total disaster. Imagine that the wolves would have discovered the trap and fried all the gunslingers and farmers wives at the moment they had the chance. At least half the population of the Calla would most likely have been killed and all the children might have been taken. Who are we to decide whether such a terrible risk was worth it?

Also, it is likely that the wolves will at some point return to take revenge on the calla, and by then the gunslingers will have moved on. This is a part that falls outside of the scope of the book, but not to be forgotten. They have won a battle but not the war.

The gunslingers often did think of them as cowards, but taking their perspective is a little too easy. You have to be slightly mad to be a gunslinger.

Ben Staad
08-16-2011, 05:44 AM
By the way, I didn't regard the population of the Calla as cowards at all.

I didn't feel that folks of the Calla were cowards either. They were dealt a tough hand and in my opinion it's difficult to judge how many years of oppression will affect an enclosed community. The decisions they made, while to many of us may seem cowardly, were born from fear of Thunderclap which to them had become a "required" bit of nastiness.