PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite moments in DT7

Wuducynn
05-22-2007, 07:42 AM
This is my favorite in the series and I thought it would be great to have a thread where we can chat about your favorite moments or things about this book.

One of mine, is when Dandelo is telling Roland and Susannah about how he hid from the Red King as he rode past wrapped in a storm, his whole description of the incident blew my mind and showed how powerful Los' was before getting trapped in the Tower and the re-birth of the Beams.

MonteGss
05-22-2007, 08:11 AM
I think my favorite was perhaps the saddest.
Jake and Roland going to save sai King.

Wuducynn
05-22-2007, 10:28 AM
The Haze of Green and Gold part?

Matt
05-22-2007, 10:44 AM
My favorite part of this book was the mad dash under the castle for Roland and Suze.

I was so devastated by what happened up till that point, it was refreshing to be horrified once again. The writing for that segment was very good imo.

Wuducynn
05-24-2007, 11:20 AM
Another of my favorite parts of this book is when Roland and Susannah are passing through the haunted town that surrounds Le Casse Roi Russe and when they actually come to Le Casse Roi Russe and learn the story of how Los' snapped and "killed" himself with a spoon.

Fall of Gilead
05-25-2007, 04:49 PM
The exit of Susannah.

Chassit
05-26-2007, 07:39 AM
The imagery associated with the tower standing in its field of roses (cho ka no rey?) Regardless...

Baradin
05-26-2007, 11:12 AM
When Roland stood at the Tower and cried out the names of everyone. EVERYONE.

Chassit
05-27-2007, 07:10 AM

Yeah that was great! Almost made me cry.

XIX

Spencer
05-27-2007, 10:44 AM
This picture, and King's description of the moment.

http://www.thedarktower.net/artwork/7/He%20moved%20in%20between%20Jake%20and%20Eddie.jpg

Daghain
05-28-2007, 07:52 PM

Almost? I did cry. :cry:

Wuducynn
05-29-2007, 05:50 AM
Just so you know folks I did mark this thread as a Spoilers thread. So as far as I understood it you don't need to mark spoilers within it.

Jean
05-29-2007, 05:58 AM
Just so you know folks I did mark this thread as a Spoilers thread. So as far as I understood it you don't need to mark spoilers within it.
that's correct. This policy was introduced in The Baronies for the sake of readability and common sense. The latter means spoilers don't have to be marked here, and the former - that they shouldn't, so guys, please, don't mark unnecessary spoilers (see the newly-added rule in Spoiler Requirements for this forum)

AllHail, I have edited your title a little, to make the word "Spoilers" more prominent. If you don't like the way it looks now, PM me.

Wuducynn
05-29-2007, 06:00 AM
Cool, that's why I put spoilers in paranthesis but putting asterisks instead works even better.

Chassit
05-29-2007, 06:21 AM

Almost? I did cry. :cry:

Well, ok. maybe my eyes got a bit wet. ;)

Wuducynn
05-29-2007, 06:23 AM
I've never cried so much reading a book as when I read this one. Someone needed to hook me up with a binky.

Daghain
05-29-2007, 09:35 AM
*sends virual binky to CK*

I totally agree with that. :D

Wuducynn
06-01-2007, 05:29 AM
Another favorite moment for me was when Roland, Susannah and Oy were running through the tunnel under Castle Discordia from the giant millipede...one of the tenser moments in the series for me....especially when they were running in darkness and all they could hear was the great gasps of breath of the millipede getting closer and closer no matter how fast they ran...gives me chills just thinking about it.

Matt
06-01-2007, 09:44 AM
I loved that scene :D

Spencer
06-05-2007, 04:43 AM
The Haze of Green and Gold part?

Whelan's illustration in that section of King is my 2nd favorite of the series,(favorite being the unfound of Roland), I made sure to take a picture of both of them.

Ruthful
06-11-2007, 06:58 PM
There were so many remarkable moments in this book-excluding the absolutely absurd transposition of Jake and Oy's personalities during their trip through Fedic, and the maudlin reunion of Susannah, Eddie and Jake during the first conclusion-that I can't narrow it down to a handful.

I would agree that all of the aforementioned moments moved me in much the same way, but add that the entire scene in Odd Lane-including Dandelo's anecdote about the CK-was riveting.

Wuducynn
06-11-2007, 09:20 PM
but add that the entire scene in Odd Lane-including Dandelo's anecdote about the CK-was riveting. Amen, I totally agree with you. Look above I posted about that scene too. It literally gives me chills reading it.

Daghain
06-11-2007, 09:26 PM
My favorite is the ending - when he realizes what has happend and that he's going to have to do it all over again, but this time when he's in the desert, he has the horn. Makes you wonder...

Jean
06-11-2007, 10:21 PM
My favorite in this book, and in the whole saga, is Callahan's last stand.

Daghain
06-12-2007, 08:34 AM
That was very cool, too. :)

Ruthful
06-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Co-sign.

Callahan was indispensable, IMO, to the conclusion of this story.

He was undoubtedly one of my favorite new characters introduced into the plot.

New for me because I've yet to read 'Salem's Lot.

Matt
06-12-2007, 12:32 PM
:o

Gotta go pick that one up ASAP, classic King. :D

Ruthful
06-14-2007, 11:16 AM
Yeah, there are four Stephen King novels I own, which I haven't got around to reading yet.

The others being Dreamcatcher, Hearts in Atlantis, and Insomnia.

Wuducynn
06-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Insomnia and Low Men in Yellow Coats :cool:

Frunobulax
06-14-2007, 11:34 AM
Both of those are quite good, Matthew.

Ruthful
06-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Why do so many people think Linoge is an avatar of Flagg's, but reject the assertion that Leland Gaunt is one of his incarnations?

It seems to me that the latter has a lot more similarities.

Wuducynn
06-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Why do so many people think Linoge is an avatar of Flagg's, but reject the assertion that Leland Gaunt is one of his incarnations?

It seems to me that the latter has a lot more similarities.

How is that one of your favorite Dark Tower 7 moments Ruthful?

http://www.kevinfreitas.net/img/20041028-01.jpg

Ruthful
06-15-2007, 05:45 PM
WTF?

Ruthful
06-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Oh no, that's not related to the topic.

Yeah, I know that.

Just a question I had.

NeedfulKings
06-15-2007, 06:55 PM
I"m kind of skipping over most of the posts as I just started my second read and with my memory, there may be spoilers! :P

So far, I have been really touched by Pere's stand as well as on edge at the coming of the baby.

What an awesome fucking story!!! :thumbsup:

Wuducynn
06-15-2007, 08:27 PM
Oh no, that's not related to the topic.

Yeah, I know that.

Just a question I had.

I know ;)

fernandito
06-16-2007, 08:28 AM
I love the part where Jake asks Roland for a smoke and Roland figures, what the hell? :)

VolsToTheWall
06-16-2007, 12:22 PM
I love the part where Jake asks Roland for a smoke and Roland figures, what the hell? :)
Jake smoked his first one in Wolves of the Calla.

fernandito
06-16-2007, 12:28 PM
Jake smoked his first one in Wolves of the Calla.

Really? (cleans up cobwebs)

Looks like this re-read will do me a lot of good then :lol:

VolsToTheWall
06-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Yeah after the battle and getting his friend's brains splattered on him I guess old long, tall, and ugly figured he deserved his first smoke. Besides, he did just pull a Clinton and didn't inhale anyway. hehe

Wuducynn
06-16-2007, 12:36 PM
But that was a great moment when they were on Steek-tete looking down on Algul-Siento, with Jake having a smoke with Roland and Oy napping.

fernandito
06-16-2007, 12:44 PM
:cool: damn straight

Tvmorbid
06-18-2007, 06:10 AM
I think my favorit part of this one is where Roland, Susannah and Oy are running from the Thing under Castle Discordia, scared the crap outta me that scene did :)

Matt
06-18-2007, 06:18 AM
I was really glad Jake got a kiss from a girl before...well, you know :(

fernandito
06-18-2007, 10:43 AM
I think my favorit part of this one is where Roland, Susannah and Oy are running from the Thing under Castle Discordia, scared the crap outta me that scene did :)

I like how there's a little sketch of the monster at the end of that chapter, just in case there's any doubt in your mind as to how it looks like.

Wuducynn
06-18-2007, 01:21 PM
Also I actually have that creature as a pet in my cellar if you want to come over and say "hello". Maybe you can do a little re-inactment of that part of DT7 and I can bring my friends over and we'll make some bets on if you make it out of the cellar!

pyrokamileon
06-21-2007, 12:14 AM

XIX

That part didn't make me cry so much as it just made me feel happy and all good inside. I mean after all the years and all the wheels and all the people... he finally made it to the Dark Tower... I don't remember how descriptive that scene was but in my mind Roland was running through the field of roses and as he was crying out everyone's names I could just see it in his face that he didn't know whether to laugh or cry so he found a way to do both, all the while not believing that he was actually at the front door to the Dark Tower

Matt
06-21-2007, 07:37 AM
I remember having to stop and breath for a moment when I got to that part the first time. I'll admit, I was slightly diminished in spirit by the way things came out with the CK but nothing took away from that moment for me.

Like you said, all those years and he was there, at the tower. It was so many emotions wrapped into one moment that I felt like my insides had turned into a blender.

NeedfulKings
07-06-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm about 550 pages into my re-read. So far, it's better than I remember! Roland and Suz are heading under castle Discordia at the moment.

I didn't find myself too emotional at the two deaths so far. I don't know why. It could be that Eddies was too slow and Jakes too fast. Both were powerful, though.

Wuducynn
07-06-2007, 10:00 AM
I'm about 550 pages into my re-read. So far, it's better than I remember! Roland and Suz are heading under castle Discordia at the moment.

I didn't find myself too emotional at the two deaths so far. I don't know why. It could be that Eddies was too slow and Jakes too fast. Both were powerful, though.

It's interesting how many folk I talk to who didn't like DT7 the first time they read it and when they read it a second time really liked it or even loved it. I think it was because they had a lot of things in their mind about how it was supposed to turn out and the years of build-up make it a hard one for a lot of folk to deal with at first reading because things don't turn out the way most folk thought.

Matt
07-06-2007, 10:15 AM
My second time through was much more satisfying than the first. I think it has a lot to do with exactly what you said.

Daghain
07-06-2007, 10:27 AM
I'd have to agree with that. I'm almost done with the re-read on #7 and I do like it a lot better this time. I think I was too stressed out about the ending before - I wanted to get to it and find out what happened. Now I'm just enjoying the ride. :)

NeedfulKings
07-06-2007, 11:02 AM
There were some WEIRD things that happened in the story and it all culminated in 7. I loved it the first time (I still love the parts about "the writer"). It's brilliant, in my opinion.

Knowing the ending and having lived through this once already makes a lot of things a lot more clear to me.

VolsToTheWall
07-07-2007, 08:50 AM
I'll have to add myself to those who enjoyed their re-read more. I agree with you Daghain, on my first read through I was in a hurry to find out what happened next, and to get to the ending, but on my re-read I just chilled out and enjoyed the scenery more. :D

Wuducynn
07-07-2007, 09:47 AM
So what were your favorite DT7 moments Vols?

NeedfulKings
07-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Oddly enough, I think my "favorite" part was the re-creation of the accident. I think it took a lot for King to write that part (how hard must that have been?). I didn't like to see the passing of one of our gunslingers, but the whole section really fit. It brought Roland's world into mine. By way of the writer.

ZoNeSeeK
07-08-2007, 10:24 PM
The battle of Algul Siento is def. my favourite.

Darkthoughts
07-15-2007, 07:11 AM
I agree with what everyone else has said about the reread being more satisfying. I'm upto Roland visiting the Tet Corporation - Jake and Eddie's deaths weren't as powerful this time round because I was expecting them, but at the same time I felt them more as I'm reading at a less hectic pace - if you know what I mean.

My favourite moments have been Ted Brautigan's story (I loved him in Hearts) and meeting Dinky again...I also loved getting to know Pimli and Finli from a different perspective - you almost liked them and forgot what and who exactly they were doing/working for.

I also really enjoyed Jake's trial of the "mind trap" with the Tyrannosorbet Wrecks - the way SK evoked that childhood memory - of how it feels to be truly terrified of something totally illogical was pure genius.

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 12:00 PM
I agree with what everyone else has said about the reread being more satisfying. I'm upto Roland visiting the Tet Corporation - Jake and Eddie's deaths weren't as powerful this time round because I was expecting them, but at the same time I felt them more as I'm reading at a less hectic pace - if you know what I mean.

My favourite moments have been Ted Brautigan's story (I loved him in Hearts) and meeting Dinky again...I also loved getting to know Pimli and Finli from a different perspective - you almost liked them and forgot what and who exactly they were doing/working for.

I also really enjoyed Jake's trial of the "mind trap" with the Tyrannosorbet Wrecks - the way SK evoked that childhood memory - of how it feels to be truly terrified of something totally illogical was pure genius.

So anything else "jump out" at you that you loved about this book with your re-read since I'm assuming you've finished it by now?

jayson
12-11-2007, 12:23 PM
Off the top of my head, one of the sections I enjoyed a lot was the whole "Mind Trap" sequence, particularly how it stirred up Jake's memories of watching movies with Mrs. Greta Shaw.

Wuducynn
12-12-2007, 03:03 PM
Off the top of my head, one of the sections I enjoyed a lot was the whole "Mind Trap" sequence, particularly how it stirred up Jake's memories of watching movies with Mrs. Greta Shaw.

Awesome moment. Very tense and I loved how Flaherty dealt with the mind-trap with the help of Lamla.

jayson
12-12-2007, 05:02 PM
Awesome moment. Very tense and I loved how Flaherty dealt with the mind-trap with the help of Lamla.

I have to admit, I kind of liked Flaherty. He was a nice two-scene bad guy late in the game, and since I did figure at some point it was reasonable to expect Jake and/or Oy to die, the first time through I thought Flaherty might be their doom. It was mostly because of the way he handled the mind trap.:shoot:

sai blaine
12-13-2007, 07:08 AM
Oy going "uck!" :rofl:

Storyslinger
12-13-2007, 07:09 AM
That was pretty hilarious

Wuducynn
12-13-2007, 11:55 AM
"Did that animal just say "fuck", young man?" :lol:

Matt
12-13-2007, 03:06 PM
The chase under the castle--that reminded me of Roland from the old Waste Lands days.

jayson
12-13-2007, 04:51 PM
The chase under the castle--that reminded me of Roland from the old Waste Lands days.

Agreed, that part reminds me of his and Oy's mad dash through the innards of Lud to rescue Jake from nobody's old pal Gasher. Listening to the chase under the castle on audiobook for the first time was pretty intense.

SON-OF-WAYNE
12-13-2007, 06:13 PM
When Jake was decapitating everyone that got in his way with the oriza's at the Dixie pig. Also the Blue Haven battle.

Matt
12-14-2007, 12:02 PM

Agreed, that part reminds me of his and Oy's mad dash through the innards of Lud to rescue Jake from nobody's old pal Gasher. Listening to the chase under the castle on audiobook for the first time was pretty intense.

I totally agree man, it felt like we were back in the glory days at that point :excited:

It was nice after all the horrific death. :(

sai blaine
12-15-2007, 03:14 AM
"Did that animal just say "fuck", young man?" :lol:
:rofl:

CyberGhostface
12-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Aside from Walter's death, the Blue Heaven section was my favorite part of the book. The characters of Finli and Pimli were by the far the best new characters introduced in the last three books, and I enjoyed seeing old faces like Ted Brautigan, Dinky Earnshaw and Sheemie Ruiz. It was at this point and this point only that I felt King was building to an epic conclusion to his work.

jayson
12-16-2007, 03:34 AM
Aside from Walter's death, the Blue Heaven section was my favorite part of the book. The characters of Finli and Pimli were by the far the best new characters introduced in the last three books,

I also enjoyed the stuff at Algul Siento, and really enjoyed both the Pimli backstory and the Pimli/Finli dynamic. They were two interesting characters we met late in the game.

Letti
12-22-2007, 01:01 AM
I have so so many I am not able to choose. Maybe in some weeks but right now I love it all.

Armand St Pierre
12-22-2007, 08:05 PM
I also enjoyed the stuff at Algul Siento, and really enjoyed both the Pimli backstory and the Pimli/Finli dynamic. They were two interesting characters we met late in the game.

I could have read a whole book about these two. Pimli's an interesting character who represents a much more complex dynamic than a standard Good/Evil dichotomy.

I also liked learning more about Ted, especially the setting in which he tells his story.

The hunting of the deer while Suze and Roland crossed the White Lands was especially fulfilling for some reason. I think, even at that late stage in the story, that it rounded out Roland for me further than I expected. I think I just liked the feeling of nourishment that that section of the story provided.

jayson
12-22-2007, 09:16 PM
I could have read a whole book about these two. Pimli's an interesting character who represents a much more complex dynamic than a standard Good/Evil dichotomy.

Agreed. Pimli was far from the 2-dimensional "bad guy" he could have been. I particularly liked his acceptance of his job as world-destroyer within the context of his religious beliefs. I really liked everything about Pimli, except his final living act.

Letti
02-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Ahh, so here is my thread to post what has happened to me today.
Thank you for the help, Matthew. I am blind.

so...

As I was coming come late at night with a cab (I had lots of bags) I was watching out of my head. We didn't talk with the driver at all, we were just flying on the road.
As I was watching through the window I saw that for a short glance the driver looked at me and suddenly Roland came to my mind... after Jake's death. When they were going to a hotel with the lady who helped him (I can't remember her name) at that time.
He was looking through the window and the woman could see that he was weeping... I didn't cry or anything but that big silence and distance between us (me and the cab driver) however we sat so close to each other... the driving.. the road... it reminded me at that part so much and I felt how much I liked that moment.
The lady, Roland and Oy in the car... so close to each other still so far away and the woman could see in the window that Roland was crying.
So
damn
beautiful.

Madagascar
02-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Another of my favorite parts of this book is when Roland and Susannah are passing through the haunted town that surrounds Le Casse Roi Russe and when they actually come to Le Casse Roi Russe and learn the story of how Los' snapped and "killed" himself with a spoon.

Kind of unrelated, but I don't think I picked up on why The Crimson King was called Los' on occasion. Can anyone enlighten me?

jayson
02-04-2008, 04:20 AM
Kind of unrelated, but I don't think I picked up on why The Crimson King was called Los' on occasion. Can anyone enlighten me?

Los the Red was one of his names. Perhaps Matthew could add more as this is as much as I can remember of it for now without books in front of me.

Wuducynn
02-04-2008, 05:48 AM

Its one of the mysteries of the series, hopefully the comics will give us the scoop on it. My opinion is that Los' is the Crimson King's name. The Crimson King after all is just one of his many titles. The only time we see it mentioned was Rando Thoughtful who was his Minister of State (I think) so thats why I'm guessing that is the Crimson King's name.

jayson
02-04-2008, 06:07 AM

Its one of the mysteries of the series, hopefully the comics will give us the scoop on it. My opinion is that Los' is the Crimson King's name. The Crimson King after all is just one of his many titles. The only time we see it mentioned was Rando Thoughtful who was his Minister of State (I think) so thats why I'm guessing that is the Crimson King's name.

I'd like to see it expanded upon, but that was how I saw it, that he had many names but Los the Red was his "actual" name, the one given him by his Great Old Red Momma.

sarah
02-08-2008, 12:02 PM
I just started my reread a few days ago. It has been slow going as I have two kids who keep me very busy. Anyhoo...I just read The Mind-Trap with Jake. I have to say that this is clever writing and I found myself absorbed in the fear of Jake. Then to have him switch places with Oy, I thought was brilliant.

Well, Susannah just pulled Jake through the door and Roland and Eddie are hooking up with John Cullum. YAY!

jayson
02-08-2008, 12:06 PM
I love the mind trap sequence, including Jake's flashback about his time as Bama, and especially the switch with Oy. I mentioned this in the Dreamcatcher thread, that I like the way King describes the way our minds/memories work using the device of one being inside their own mind, or in this case inside someone else's. i enjoy when king does that.

sarah
02-13-2008, 08:47 AM
Pimli popping a zit and letting Finli o' Tego lick his finger. http://www.informatik-forum.at/pics/nb/smilies/puke.gif

Wuducynn
02-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Pimli popping a zit and letting Finli o' Tego lick his finger. http://www.informatik-forum.at/pics/nb/smilies/puke.gif

That, along with Walter's death were probably the most disgusting parts of any book I've ever read..which is also why I enjoyed them. :cool:

jayson
02-13-2008, 09:43 AM

That, along with Walter's death were probably the most disgusting parts of any book I've ever read..which is also why I enjoyed them. :cool:

don't forget "chucky" hayliss' love of boogers, especially bloody ones.

MonteGss
02-13-2008, 10:25 AM
The "Snot Saboteur"

Wuducynn
03-26-2008, 06:38 AM
I loved learning that Sheemie was a lot more involved in the series and there was a lot more to the character himself than we originally thought. :harrier:

Storyslinger
03-26-2008, 06:41 AM
That was great. I thought the poor boy was done after W & G. Then he shows up and plays a pivotal role.

Wuducynn
04-25-2008, 07:28 AM
Another favorite part of this book was when they had the shared dream of the Beam Boy. Really chilling.

Storyslinger
04-25-2008, 08:11 AM
Yep, definitly on the creepy side. I was reading that part thinking, he probably could have made a short story out of that.

Wuducynn
04-25-2008, 02:03 PM
There are a lot of those throughout the series. Tantelizing for the mind. :harrier:

Letti
04-27-2008, 11:30 PM
For me it was really hard to accept that Shemmie was back. I mean I read that he was he but I thought of him as another new character in my mind. They were not the same. (I hope it makes some sense.)
Maybe because I first read WaG 10 years ago and it was really stange to see a charachter from there alive.

Storyslinger
04-29-2008, 09:56 AM
I agree with you dear. Even though I knew it was the same Sheemie, I never "saw" him as the same young man from Mejis, not even the same young man grown up. He had taken on a new personallity to me.

Wuducynn
04-29-2008, 10:13 AM
For me it was really hard to accept that Shemmie was back. I mean I read that he was he but I thought of him as another new character in my mind. They were not the same. (I hope it makes some sense.)
Maybe because I first read WaG 10 years ago and it was really stange to see a charachter from there alive.

I agree with you dear. Even though I knew it was the same Sheemie, I never "saw" him as the same young man from Mejis, not even the same young man grown up. He had taken on a new personallity to me.

Couldn't disagree with both of you more. To me it was just an older Sheemie, thats all. It was just surprising and exciting to me that Sheemie's role in the story wasn't over with Wizard and Glass.

Storyslinger
04-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Right, there's always that.

Mark
04-29-2008, 10:22 AM
To me, Sheemie seemed to change character, he was Sheemie by name, but i thought he just seemed different, like he was written differently, i don't know, it's like, you go to school with someone, don't see them for an extended period of time, then you do see them and their the manager of a bank, they just seem different to you, you get different vibes from 'em, know what i mean?

Wuducynn
04-29-2008, 10:24 AM
Well this is veering off topic a bit. But it would make sense he would be different since he is older. He did seem older to me, but not a totally different character. Anyway...so Mark post a favorite part of this book for you for everyone.

Mark
04-29-2008, 10:27 AM
I can't quite remember, to be honest, when i reach DT7 (on WOTC) now, i'll post then, sorry for dragging off topic :(

Wuducynn
04-29-2008, 10:35 AM
I can't quite remember, to be honest, when i reach DT7 (on WOTC) now, i'll post then, sorry for dragging off topic :(

No biggie! :harrier:

Brainslinger
04-29-2008, 11:49 AM

Ok, I know the thread has moved on since then but I just noticed this ^^^

I thought that Los might be his name too.

In some Arthurian stories, there was a character called King Lot. I don't think he was always depicted as evil though, but then again neither was Merlin. I think there might have been a connection between Lot and Mordred (the Arthurian version I mean) as well but I don't know enough to say for certain. I read a tale by Stephen Lawhead (it was Arthur and Pendragon from the Pendragon Cycle I believe. There he is related by marriage to Morgian (her step-son I believe, as in she married his father), although I'm not sure if that was purely an invention of Lawhead, or something he picked up from earlier stories. I think I've read about Lot elsewhere, although my memory is vague.

Makes sense that King might have gotten Los from Lot though.

I get the impression that "Ram Aballah", as mentioned in Black House was another title rather than an actual name, which again backs up Los being his actual name. What's the betting 'Ram' means king, or big cheese of some kind?

Ok back to the topic before I get in trouble-

My favourite parts of DT7... Pretty much the start of the book I think. The whole rush to save Susannah and Callahan/Jake vs the Vampires. I also liked the rescue of the Breakers. Only thing I wasn't keen on near the start was the death of Walter. Not so much the truly horrific way it was written just how soon it happened... and how easily Walter got taken. But that's a whole other topic or two. Or three. Or four. ;}

Unfound One
04-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Okay, I may have completely made this up and am now making a fool of myself (and cry pardon if that's the case) but I could swear that I read somewhere that Los stood for Lord of Spiders.
No idea where though, so I couldn't tell ya if you asked. Say sorry...

Has anybody else heard this, or am I really making it up?

Mark
04-29-2008, 12:17 PM
Now that you mention it, it does ring a bell

Unfound One
04-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Ah, ya know what? According to the Towerpedia article, Lord of Spiders is just another one of his titles.
I must have made up the correllation in my own head. Sorry friends!

Wuducynn
04-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Ah, ya know what? According to the Towerpedia article, Lord of Spiders is just another one of his titles.
I must have made up the correllation in my own head. Sorry friends!

Not at all. Interesting idea though..ummm care to post a favorite moment? :harrier:

Brainslinger
04-29-2008, 03:36 PM
He is referred to as the Lord of Spiders in one of the books (I think it was Song of Susannah, but I'm not certain.)

It didn't occur to me that 'Los' stood for that though. It could be though, or even if it strictly doesn't (since the context in which 'Los' is mentioned suggests it's his name rather than a title) it's possible King thought up the name that way. Rather than all my Arthurian malarky...

Wuducynn
04-29-2008, 03:38 PM
I get the impression that "Ram Aballah", as mentioned in Black House was another title rather than an actual name, which again backs up Los being his actual name. What's the betting 'Ram' means king, or big cheese of some kind?

Ram Aballah means "Red King" in Arabic, so you yeah, its another of his titles.

My favourite parts of DT7... Pretty much the start of the book I think. The whole rush to save Susannah and Callahan/Jake vs the Vampires.

One of my favorite parts also. Especially with the description of the Grandfathers and how they weren't stopped by the skolpadda.

Unfound One
04-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Favorite moment... ah.
Possibly the "prayer" Roland says over Jake's grave.
"Goodbye, Jake. I love you, dear."
I don't know if I would say it's my absolute favorite though... too sad.
Gimme a couple days, I'm almost done with my re-read. Maybe I'll post another.

Wuducynn
04-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Favorite moment... ah.
Possibly the "prayer" Roland says over Jake's grave.
"Goodbye, Jake. I love you, dear."
I don't know if I would say it's my absolute favorite though... too sad.
Gimme a couple days, I'm almost done with my re-read. Maybe I'll post another.

Wow, thats a rough part as one of your favs... I'm starting a re-read too. By the way you don't need the spoiler tags for chat about the series because its the DT7 forum. The spoiler tags above were Black House spoilers.

Unfound One
04-29-2008, 05:02 PM
Ah, good to know. And edited as such.
Yeah, it is a tough part to read, but it really spoke a lot about their relationship. The whole death scene did, actually. The father-son connection.

Wuducynn
04-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Jake's death scene, especially Roland's prayer, is one of the most powerful scenes in the saga.

Unfound One
04-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Absofuckinlutely.

Letti
04-29-2008, 11:28 PM
I cried like a baby and I couldn't stop it.

Wuducynn
04-30-2008, 05:41 AM
So you're still crying Letti? :(

Letti
04-30-2008, 05:53 AM
If you are around I am not.

Wuducynn
04-30-2008, 05:56 AM
You know how to make this bittersweet kiss of chaos, more sweet than bitter...:huglove:

Letti, are you going to be doing a re-read also? So you can give us a fresh favorite for Letti from this book? :)

Letti
04-30-2008, 01:26 PM
I am doing a rereading right now as well. I am in WoC.
(I cannot wait to start to read the last. I have read the other books many times but it will be my second time reading that.)

Wuducynn
04-30-2008, 03:18 PM
Second and this time much slower right? ;)

John_and_Yoko
05-11-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm still on Chapter One, but I think I just saw a reference to IT therein....

I haven't read that book, but perhaps I need to rethink the order in which I put the books in my poster project....

Wuducynn
05-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Maybe you should stay out of the DT7 forum until you're done with the book? ;)

John_and_Yoko
05-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Maybe you should stay out of the DT7 forum until you're done with the book? ;)

I was just exctied about it, and I didn't know where else to put it, since I hadn't read IT yet....

Don't worry, though, I haven't read any previous posts.

Wuducynn
05-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Thats cool, as long as you haven't been spoiled. :harrier:

Shiv
05-12-2008, 05:33 PM
So many of the scenes already covered here are all great, I think my absolute favorite is when Roland started the final stretch towards the Tower.

One moment that really sticks in my mind (not nessecarily a favorite though) is when Roland is laughing his ass off on Odd's Lane. For some reason I had a hard time picturing that and I stopped reading the story at that point to rustle up a clear cut image of that scene in my mind.

Empath of the White
05-17-2008, 08:58 PM
The showdown in the Dixie Pig with the Warriors of the Scarlet Eye.Oy's goodbye to Jake as well as Roland worrying that he had forgotten how to cry. There's really too many moments to name them all, so these are a few that really got me excited or all emotional.

Merlin1958
05-19-2008, 11:40 AM
My favorite in this book, and in the whole saga, is Callahan's last stand.

Mine too, especially after the shellacking he took in Salem's Lot (favorite scene in that one) He sooooooo needed the redemption. I mean to think he gets a "Resumption and has to go through that particular nightmare over and over again!!!!

Brainslinger
05-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Mine too, especially after the shellacking he took in Salem's Lot (favorite scene in that one) He sooooooo needed the redemption. I mean to think he gets a "Resumption and has to go through that particular nightmare over and over again!!!!

I'm not so sure Callahan does resume, at least not in the sense Roland does although his second meeting with Vampires is a resumption of sorts.

I keep reading references to Roland's return as 'resetting' as if the whole world resets when he goes through the door. I don't think that's the case. I think the only person who resets is Roland, as in, he is sent back in time and his memories are reset to that time. And even he doesn't reset completely considering what he finds with him the next time round.

Anyhow, I've gone off-topic... better think of a fave moment before I reap it from the resident spankslingers....

Ok, Sheemie's dream. It's been mentioned elsewhere on this thread, but I have to agree that whole scene was an emotional goose-pimple moment. Reading about Brautigan's story was interesting too. Not quite as buzzing to me as Callahan's back story from the Wolves of the Calla, but way up there.

I have other favorite moments, which I've mentioned already, but I'm sure we're allowed more than one... ;)

Wuducynn
05-20-2008, 10:11 AM
Not only allowed, but encouraged!

Merlin1958
05-20-2008, 11:46 AM

I not so sure Callahan does resume, at least not in the sense Roland does although his second meeting with Vampires is a resumption of sorts.

I keep reading references to Roland's return as 'resetting' as if the whole world resets when he goes through the door. I don't think that's the case. I think the only person who resets is Roland, as in, he is sent back in time and his memories are reset to that time. And even he doesn't reset completely considering what he finds with him the next time round.

Anyhow, I've gone off-topic... better think of a fave moment before I reap it from the resident spankslingers....

Ok, Sheemie's dream. It's been mentioned elsewhere on this thread, but I have to agree that whole scene was an emotional goose-pimple moment. Reading about Brautigan's story was interesting too. Not quite as buzzing to me as Callahan's back story from the Wolves of the Calla, but way up there.

I have other favorite moments, which I've mentioned already, but I'm sure we're allowed more than one... ;)

I was sort of playing on the words but. Resume reset w/e he has to keep suffering that ordeal over and over again. IMHO

Matt
05-20-2008, 01:28 PM
I don't think that's the case. I think the only person who resets is Roland, as in, he is sent back in time and his memories are reset to that time. And even he doesn't reset completely considering what he finds with him the next time round.

So do you think he has his fingers back Brain?

DettaDelgado
05-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Every time Roland yells "KILL THEM ALL!"

Brainslinger
05-20-2008, 05:20 PM
So do you think he has his fingers back Brain?

Yes. I think he is as he was (!? that sounds weird) in that time period. As if he entered the body of his past self, if that makes sense (although I'm not sure that's literally right.) It'd be kind of like what happens with twinners in the talisman, where they possess their twinners body, but their own physical body still vanishes from where it was... if that makes sense.

Jean
05-20-2008, 11:10 PM
I'm not so sure Callahan does resume
I am absolutely sure he doesn't.

Merlin1958
05-21-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm not so sure Callahan does resume
I am absolutely sure he doesn't.

Of course he does, they all do Balthazar, Eddie, Jake, Susannah etc. It's a loop. Remember, in the beginning of Gunslinger Roland does'nt recall 18 previous loop's. Time does'nt strictly apply throughout the story. Jake dies but lives again etc.

All the various characters and situations in the story represent tests or choices to Roland and how he responds (in simplistic terms) determines his overall results/character in the quest, no? It's not so much as wether he serves the random (chaos) or the purpose (Order), he is firmly positioned with the purpose but, what goes into determining that purpose or the choices he makes to achieve that purpose.

Therefore, the entire scenario, characters, situations places etc. must be repeated for each loop/quest.

Brainslinger
05-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Therefore, the entire scenario, characters, situations places etc. must be repeated for each loop/quest.

For Roland yes, in that he goes back in time and experiences those events again (although he is unaware it is again.)

That doesn't mean the others are looping too though. Only that he loops, and sees them again. That's not quite the same thing.

I may be wrong. There are indications of deja-vu, etc experienced by others of the ka-tet, but I'm not sure this is the cause.

I think they loop after a fashion, in the way Callahan did in facing a similar occurrence with the type 1 vampires again. (I.e. a loop in his own life time. Ka being a wheel need not involve dying.) And I think the ka-tet have experienced some events before (i.e. take their afinity with horse riding for example) but I think that might be a form of reincarnation, what with the suggestion that Eddie and Cuthbert may well be one and the same.

I think the Tower loop though is just Roland's experience. I may be wrong, but I don't see any definite evidence otherwise since he is the only one who goes through the door at the top of the Tower.

Whoops off topic again. But perhaps not... I found those little indications concerning the identity of the ka-tet, and their links with others in the past was an interesting part of the story. (Although much of that stuff was in the other books rather than this one specifically, but there you go...)

Indigo_Seven
05-22-2008, 12:11 AM
between Jake's death (and the irony of Roland's decision just prior to it) and Eddie's death. Despite all the ka-shume talk before, I never really knew he was going to kill off the tet 'till Eddie died. And even dying, Eddie was still a man.

John_and_Yoko
05-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Wow, so many to choose from--such a LONG volume....

But I guess I'd have to say my absolute favorite part is the ending. Don't ask me why, I don't know. But there's just something about it....

Wuducynn
05-23-2008, 08:02 AM
Thats a wonderful part J and Y, no need to wonder about why its one of your favorites. Its one of my favorite parts also. :thumbsup:

JQ The Gunslinger
05-26-2008, 01:12 PM
My favorite part in the book was Sheemies Dream. There are so many quotes u have to appreciate. Sometimes at work when a customer orders something tough to make i say "why must u hurt me when i love you so" lame haha

Merlin1958
05-28-2008, 09:41 PM

For Roland yes, in that he goes back in time and experiences those events again (although he is unaware it is again.)

That doesn't mean the others are looping too though. Only that he loops, and sees them again. That's not quite the same thing.

I may be wrong. There are indications of deja-vu, etc experienced by others of the ka-tet, but I'm not sure this is the cause.

I think they loop after a fashion, in the way Callahan did in facing a similar occurrence with the type 1 vampires again. (I.e. a loop in his own life time. Ka being a wheel need not involve dying.) And I think the ka-tet have experienced some events before (i.e. take their afinity with horse riding for example) but I think that might be a form of reincarnation, what with the suggestion that Eddie and Cuthbert may well be one and the same.

I think the Tower loop though is just Roland's experience. I may be wrong, but I don't see any definite evidence otherwise since he is the only one who goes through the door at the top of the Tower.

Whoops off topic again. But perhaps not... I found those little indications concerning the identity of the ka-tet, and their links with others in the past was an interesting part of the story. (Although much of that stuff was in the other books rather than this one specifically, but there you go...)

You make some valid points. What I meant was that Roland being returned to the desert with the Horn (in reward for growth of character evidenced in the nineteenth loop is the only one with free choice in his actions (although probably RF and/or CK have somewhat similar free choice to try to derail him especially when he starts flying past the dilemmas they put in front of him) Any free choice the others obtain in their actions would have to come as a result of interactions with Roland.

Another favorite part is Jake being dropped under the mountain by Roland after Roland takes pity on him at the way station. Then Roland goes back in the DOTTto prevent Jake's killing which thereby virtually eliminates the meeting at the Waystation so that he can later draw him to Mid World from the Hungry House Demon.......Gotta love thos paradoxes!!!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

bandito0
10-29-2008, 05:07 PM
After the battle at Blue Heaven, the description of the tet before Eddie's death.

"And I'll have you see them very well..."

Fantastic.

TLC
10-29-2008, 05:30 PM
Oh Bandit, I agree. I read that whole paragraph like 3 times because I knew something "bad" was gonna happen on the next page and I was trying to deny it!!!
I needed that last description/memory of the tet....

Hbgunslinger
10-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Yeah when I read that "And I'll have you see them very well..." I actually stopped for a minute and flipped to the picture of them by Suze's Cruizin bike and looked at it for a good prob 5 min anyways then went and started reading again.

This thread is a good one thank All Hail for asking this.
However I cannot narrow down my absolute favorite part I will name my the parts I like the most.
Callahans Last stand is amazing and awful at the same time I had really started to start liking hs character and was heartbroke when the end came. But he went down the best way someone could hope to go in his position. Also when he calls out to Roland I am getting serious goosebumps just thinking of it now.
The shared dream of the Beam, every time I read that it makes me want to cry.
And When Roland reaches the Tower and calls out the names of the fallen. very strong part.

Bobby Garfield
11-04-2008, 08:18 PM
-Eddie's last words to the tet. This moment showed how much Eddie had grown as a person gradually through his time in Mid-World, and gave him a realness that the other characters lacked somewhat. It also made me cry! (It also sort of ticked me off later when Roland forgot about Eddie when he referred to Jake as his "son". What about your other son, dummy?)

-Roland, Susannah and Oy's journey through the Badlands and Empathica. It brought back memories of "turnpikin'" along the Path of the Beam. I also learned some important wilderness survival skills :)

Letti
11-09-2008, 12:37 AM
Yes, Eddie called Roland father but Roland didn't call him "son". Because Roland felt they were quite equal... and he felt Eddie was much more his brother than his son (that's how I feel and think). He was the din so it's understandable that all the members of the ka-tet could call him father but it doesn't need to work the other way as well.
To sum up Roland didn't think of him as his son because Eddie was much more his brother (it wasn't a sign of the lack of love but the sign of the strong respect).

Jean
11-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Yes, Eddie called Roland father but Roland didn't call him "son". Because Roland felt they were quite equal... and he felt Eddie was much more his brother than his son (that's how I feel and think).
so do I

wiccangdess13
11-09-2008, 02:48 PM
When Jake called Roland father and then when Roland decided he would sacrifice himself and his quest to save Jake while trying to save King. Those to me show how much Roland has grown and changed in his quest and what a good man he was.

wiccangdess13
11-09-2008, 03:00 PM
I agree with Letti about Roland and Eddie being more like brothers. Eddie reminds Roland of Cuthbert, his closest friend and there is love but its also respect.

Chap
11-11-2008, 01:59 PM
I'm torn between two parts
1. from when Dandelo starts his stand-up routine 'til Susanna figures it out in the bathroom while hearing Roland choke outside. It was written so well I got completely lost in the tale.
2. When Roland realized what he saw through the "Roland." door, and that he was about to start over again. Screaming, trying to hold back - but being pushed forward nonetheless.

Wuducynn
11-11-2008, 02:50 PM
2. When Roland realized what he saw through the "Roland." door, and that he was about to start over again. Screaming, trying to hold back - but being pushed forward nonetheless.

Wow, that's a hard-core moment to have as one of your favorites! I am impressed. :harrier:

Chap
11-13-2008, 09:27 AM

Wow, that's a hard-core moment to have as one of your favorites! I am impressed. :harrier:

hehehe, well the reason I like it isn't because of Rolands pain (emotional and physical) or anything, it was just really well written and it "sucked me in" in a way similar to Roland being sucked into the door :)

yesterday's_eyes
10-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Just finished the book and I have to say that it is definitely my favorite in the series.

I loved Jake and Callahan in the Dixie Pig. Basically all of it up to when Jake finally reaches the door and Susannah pulls him through. Love it. Also love when Roland and Susannah encounter Dandelo. I like how something just feels off the entire time they are there. It was awesome when Susannah realized what was going on and went to help Roland.

Wuducynn
10-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Just finished the book and I have to say that it is definitely my favorite in the series.

I loved Jake and Callahan in the Dixie Pig. Basically all of it up to when Jake finally reaches the door and Susannah pulls him through. Love it. Also love when Roland and Susannah encounter Dandelo. I like how something just feels off the entire time they are there. It was awesome when Susannah realized what was going on and went to help Roland.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Hell yeah.

Jean
10-04-2009, 11:57 AM
hear, hear

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Atanóno Fána
12-22-2009, 03:57 PM
The whole series is about to run out and see the first Dark Tower. I think this is the biggest moment of the series and maybe even all the books Stephen King.

pathoftheturtle
12-22-2009, 04:03 PM
You mean the moment that Roland first sees the Tower? Hm, you may be right about that. It did seem to obsess the writer nearly as much as the gunslinger.

SynysterSaint
12-29-2009, 12:00 PM
I cried a few times during TDT, but the one that made me cry hardest was Roland reciting the names of every friend, fallen or lost, during his journey. I got a quarter of the way through the page and I felt my eyes getting wet, but when he got to Jake's name I just couldn't stand it any more; I lost all composure. No book has ever made me happier than that moment. That had to be my favorite moment.

CrimsonMordred
01-29-2010, 06:44 PM
You mean the moment that Roland first sees the Tower? Hm, you may be right about that. It did seem to obsess the writer nearly as much as the gunslinger.

Oh yeah, that was probably the best of them all. Plus the scenes of him walking through the tower rooms.

Dandelo was a pretty cool character. I also liked the scene with the three Stephen Kings. But beyond anything, the scenes with Mordred were also my very favorites.

ErinPatricia
01-16-2011, 01:55 PM
so much to choose from, but what has ringing my head since i finished my re-read (the only one too, I was not happy with the end the first time I read it (the morning after it was released lol) and I have not picked it up again until now) is Oy.
I loved him in this book, so very much and I loved being able to get into his head, hear and feel his thoughts.

Miller
04-05-2011, 05:31 PM
The Taheen asking Roland for mercy and Roland flatly denying him and then blowing him away
Roland sitting with Oy's dead body in his lap and gently petting him
Callahan's heroic last stand

Sefear
04-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Theres got probably a dozen different ones I can think of but I'll put one I haven't seen yet. The paragraph on page 129 then the shootout that follows on pgs 133-135.

"Strap your gun, Eddie," Roland said, holding out the revolver with the sandalwood grips.
Mine. Now he calls it mine. Eddie felt a small chill.
"I thought we were going to Susannah and Jake." But he took the revolver and belted it willingly enough.
Roland nodded. "But I believe we have a little work to do first, against those who killed Callahan and then tried to kill Jake." His face didn't change as he spoke, but both Eddie Dean and John Cullum felt a chill. For a moment it was almost impossible to look at the gunslinger.
So came-although they did not know it, which was likely more mercy than such as they deserved- the death sentence of Flaherty, the taheen Lamla, and their ka-tet.

Definitely one of Roland's most bad ass moments in my opinion

Erin
08-10-2012, 07:13 AM
I'm on a re-read of the series, my most recent in a few years and I'm shocked at how much I'm loving DT7 so much this go around. I can't put it down.

I read yesterday the scene where Jake and Oy trade bodies, so hilarious to me. Also, I'm digging the Mordred scenes a lot more this time around.