PDA

View Full Version : Caleb Carr

Bumbler
06-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Caleb Carr is probably my favorite auther next to King. He is a historian and uses his knowledge to create wonderful crime novels. The Alienist and Angel of Darkness are a wonderful pair of stories. And he made a nice little adventure of Sherlock Holmes with The Italian Secretary. Check em out, and let me know if you like.

Lost Rose
07-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Those are my two favorite books of his! I've read them both a couple of times. Had some trouble getting in to some of his other ones.

Bumbler
07-11-2008, 03:42 AM
Some of his other are a little difficult, or just not really good. But those two are must reads.

Tony_A
07-11-2008, 06:21 AM
His first two books are fantastic.

"Italian Secretary" was good, but if you want to read good Sherlock Holmes stories by someone other than Doyle, I suggest the tales by Larry Millett that chronicle Holmes and Watson's cases in the states, mostly set in Minnesota.

I didn't much care for "Killing Time."

BTW, Stephen King wrote Sherlock Holmes story called "The Doctor's Case" that was part of the "The New Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" published in the late 1980s. As the title suggests, Watson solves the case, much to the surprise of Lestrade.

As far as historical authors go, two of my favorites are John Jakes and David Niven. I recently re-read Jake's Kent Family Chronicles and David Niven's novels depicting the struggles of Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, and Andrew Jackson were riveting.

Rjeso
07-11-2008, 06:43 AM
I like historical fiction very much, so I'll have to check this guy out.

My favorite historical fiction author is Judith Tarr. She's excellent, and deals with events occurring during or before the Crusades. Her best work, in my opinion, is the Hound and the Falcon trilogy. This one's got more fantasy in it than some of her other fiction, but it's fantastic. Here (http://members.fortunecity.com/arwen_e/fl/juditht.html) is Raven's synopsis on the trilogy.

Bumbler
07-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Thanks for giving me some new authors to look into. I am always excited to to find new styles and ideas to read.