PDA

View Full Version : favorite parts of my favorite book.

sarah
05-21-2007, 09:12 PM
These past few months I've changed my favorite Dark Tower book from The Gunslinger (which I still love) to The Wastelands. I'm listening to the book now and hearing it with all the voices that aren't mine, I'm finding that I'm enjoying it much more. The brooklyn accent that Frank Muller does is spot on and it cracks me up.

Anyhoo, they just pulled Jake through the door, as usual, I'm so impressed with King. The way he can tell a story from all points of view is talent and amazement to me. Jake, Roland, Eddie, Susannah, and The people on the street near the Mansion, they all play thier part and we get to hear all sides of the story.

Just a good time all around.

B Rag
05-22-2007, 01:14 PM
I agree, its my favorite of them too. Especially the parts with Tick Tock Man.

Jean
05-22-2007, 10:37 PM
Jake opening all kinds of doors.
Eddie walking the bridge, and at the crucial moment forgetting all about his acrophobia.
Old people at River Crossing.

pol
05-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Ole Ticky....and Richard Fannin. Gotta love em.

B Rag
05-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Jake getting his ass kicked by Gasher and Tick Tock. Know it's cruel, but hey, its entertaining.

Matt
05-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Rolands mad dash with Oy to save him. After we lost Jake in the first book I was convinced that Roland would not be able to save him.

The interaction between him and Oy during those scenes is wonderful

Letti
05-25-2007, 10:37 AM
When Oy almost fell down from the fragile bridge and the ka-tet has to work together and everyone tries their best to save someone's life the other's life.

Jean
05-25-2007, 11:00 AM
When Oy almost fell down from the fragile bridge and the ka-tet has to work together and everyone tries their best to save someone's life the other's life.
and - back to our talk in Did You Cry - please have a look at my post in this thread...

jhanic
05-26-2007, 12:24 PM
When I first read this book, I ended up throwing it against the wall! I wasn't ready for the story to end in Blaine! And then the wait for DT IV!! I was upset with King for a long time because of the way this volume ended! Now, with the entire series having been published, I feel lots better. I love the way the ka-tet became closer in this volume. They became real to me.

John

Daghain
05-28-2007, 10:50 AM
Egads, the wait between W&G and Wolves was INSANE! Talk about a cliff-hanger! That drove me nuts too. But, I was worth the wait, after all.

VolsToTheWall
05-28-2007, 09:15 PM
Egads, the wait between W&G and Wolves was INSANE!
Not only the wait, but also wondering if there was actually going to be a conclusion, but yeah 'twas a bitch.

MonteGss
05-29-2007, 07:39 AM
I think my favorite parts are the first times we get to see Susannah and Eddie act like gunslingers, their first shootings.

sarajean
06-03-2007, 10:30 AM
SAY YOUR LESSON, Susannah Dean, and be true.

The bear came at them in a rumbling lope; it was like watching a runaway factory machine over which someone had thrown a huge, moth-eating rug.

It looks like a hat! A little steel hat!

She saw it ... but it didn't look like a hat to her. It looked like a radar-dish — a much smaller version of the kind she had seen in MovieTone newsreel stories about how the DEW-line was keeping everyone safe from a Russian sneak attack. It was bigger than the pebbles she had shot off the boulder earlier, but the distance was greater. Sun and shadow ran across it in deceiving dapples.

I do not aim with my hand; she who aims with her hand has forgotten the face of her father.

I can't do it!

I do not shoot with my hand; she who shoots with her hand has forgotten the face of her father.

I'll miss! I know I'll miss!

I do not kill with my gun; she who kills with her gun —

"Shoot it!" Roland roared. "Susannah, shoot it!"

With the trigger as yet unpulled, she saw the bullet go home, guided from muzzle to target by nothing more or less than her heart's fierce desire that it should fly true. All fear fell away. What was left was a feeling of deep coldness and she had time to think: This is what he feels. My God — how does he stand it?

"I kill with my heart, motherfucker," she said, and the gunslinger's revolver roared in her hand.

MonteGss
06-06-2007, 06:33 PM
Yes, sarajean, that is precisely the scene I was thinking of when I wrote my last post. :)

Matt
06-06-2007, 06:55 PM
I remember being so exhilarated during that scene. Being back with the katet after all these years. They all seemed healthy and happy, doing their lessons.

Then you find out Roland is going crazy...oh man, he had to give Eddie his guns!! It was heart wrenching.

Then you find out its about getting Jake back :rock:

Daghain
06-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Oh yeah, I was totally upset when Roland gave his guns to Eddie. That hurt. :cry:

sarah
06-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Yes, it was pretty upsetting and still is when I reread it. I mean come on the man lost two fingers on his best hand and already had to give a gun to eddie in tdott. I was a bit distraught

ZoNeSeeK
07-22-2007, 07:14 PM
yeah DT3 is one of my favourites aswell, just the whole idea of Lud is really cool and the history you learn about the city and everything

Cutter
08-13-2007, 10:58 AM
yeah DT3 is one of my favourites aswell, just the whole idea of Lud is really cool and the history you learn about the city and everything
Lud was my favorite place of the whole series. It had more style and atmosphere than any of the other locations.

MonteGss
09-26-2007, 07:34 AM
I loved the voices Muller did for the Grays and Pubes. Gasher's voice and his hilarious song was fantastic. This will always remain my second favorite of the series!

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 01:45 PM
One of my favorite parts of this book is Susannah and Eddie traveling to Blaine after they separate from Roland and the things Susannah is perceiving about Lud and the description of the giant stone turtle and the golden gunslinger statue.

Wuducynn
12-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Oh and of course when Richard Fannin steps into the game.. :cool:

Allie
12-14-2007, 03:17 AM
I love the bit when Jake comes through the door Eddie made, you can feel how urgent it is, and that house on Dutch Hill gives me the shudders.

JasKo
12-14-2007, 03:27 AM
This is so far my favorite book aswell. But I've only just started on book 4. There are so many moments in the book tha I love, it's hard to pick some out.

jayson
12-14-2007, 07:56 AM
I enjoyed the tet's time in River Crossing. It was the first time the tet got to see Roland interact with people who knew what he was, and what that meant. The first time we see Roland through their eyes as "a kind of diplomat."

And Blaine. The entire Blaine experience was one I could re-read over and over. Waiting for DT-4 to come out, I spent a lot of time on that damned mono with Roland and his tet, but I loved the entire thing. I'd have freaked out when Blaine made the walls and floor transparent and laughed my ass off when he said Edith Bunker.

sarah
12-14-2007, 08:13 AM
The trasparent floor scared the sugar outta me. I was so wrapped up in the story that I felt like i was there.

another favorite part is jake running through lud with gasher. :lol: run cully, run.

jayson
12-14-2007, 08:16 AM
another favorite part is jake running through lud with gasher. :lol: run cully, run.

that part got to me. here roland has just gotten jake back and now some psycho kidnaps him and badgers him through this mad urban underworld. great scenes. good thing oy was there or roland would never have seen jake again.:shoot:

Matt
12-21-2007, 12:12 PM
I literally gasped when Oy almost didn't make the jump and Jake had to save him. Its hard to believe that was right after we met Oy and I was already very much in love with him.

timtempest6
01-10-2008, 06:35 PM
I have all 7 books on cd and can't go to sleep without them playing

Jean
01-11-2008, 03:06 AM
I have all 7 books on cd and can't go to sleep without them playing
... from the first sentence to the last.

That's what bears do before they go off to hibernate, but it's only once a year

Wuducynn
01-11-2008, 05:11 PM
... from the first sentence to the last.

That's what bears do before they go off to hibernate, but it's only once a year

Do you start on the 19th of whatever month you start it in?

Malficeus
01-17-2008, 06:54 PM
the revealing of how sadistic Blaine very is was some how entertaining to me just his genius put to his suicidal plan

childeluke
01-25-2008, 12:45 AM
#1 moment: Roland coming to the Tower, running through the field of roses.(my heart was pumping, and all i could hear was "naaa, na na na-nana-naaa, na-nana-naaa, hey jude!")

#2 moment: Eddies first appearance on the beach.

#3 moment: Oy announcing himself at Calla Bryn Sturgis.

#4 moment: Walter explaining the Tower to Roland.

#5 moment: Seeing the plaque of the Tet Corporation.

#6 moment: Roland on mescaline, fucking a demon.

#7 moment: Jakes reappearance since his death.

#8 moment: The shoot out at the Leaning Tower.

#9 moment: Eddie driving Blaine insane.

#10 moment: Jake getting the note from his teacher saying that he's a genius.(blaine is pain poem).

etc.

MonteGss
03-04-2008, 11:44 PM
I loved Eddie's first dream of the Tower. One of many good parts. :thumbsup:

Unfound One
03-13-2008, 12:16 AM
Just finished this one again, and I'm thinking one of my favorite parts is when Roland stands up to Blaine when they are on their way to Topeka.
"Now you will listen to ME!"
He's just such a badass.

Wuducynn
03-13-2008, 05:00 AM

Also one of my favorite parts, the part of the series where we first get to see a manifestation of the Crimson King.

MonteGss
03-13-2008, 02:27 PM

Also one of my favorite parts, the part of the series where we first get to see a manifestation of the Crimson King.

You're so correct. Many people actually miss it, or ignore it. Lots of folk say that the CK wasn't mentioned at all until book 4 or 5 which isn't true. I am thinking specifically of the glowing red eyes that is seen on the Tower....

Wuducynn
03-13-2008, 02:34 PM
You're so correct. Many people actually miss it, or ignore it. Lots of folk say that the CK wasn't mentioned at all until book 4 or 5 which isn't true. I am thinking specifically of the glowing red eyes that is seen on the Tower....

Right, the glowing red eyes the size of Shardik and the cyclopean shaped clouds rushing towards him. What creature do we know of that has multiple eyes afterall?

MonteGss
03-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Some people remember what they want to remember. *shrugs*
One of these days I am going to pay extra, extra attention to The Drawing of the Three because I am sure there has to be some small reference to the CK in there too. I can't recall anything that would suggest it now but...

Wuducynn
03-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Hmmmmm. Next time I do a re-read of the series I'll have to pay attention, cause I'm sure I would have noticed that.

MonteGss
03-13-2008, 02:48 PM
Me too actually. It's possible though...*shrugs*

Wuducynn
03-13-2008, 02:49 PM
How are your shoulders this evening? You've been doing a lot of shrugging..

*shrugs*

MonteGss
03-13-2008, 02:52 PM
*shrugs*
They're ok.

Another favorite part of this book is the illustration of Eddie in the field of roses looking up at the Tower. Awesome picture!

Wuducynn
03-13-2008, 02:55 PM
Besides the pictures of it in DT7, that picture is my favorite of the Dark Tower in the series. I used to have it as my desktop wallpaper.

sarah
03-14-2008, 07:55 AM
oh, I think that is my favorite picture of the series. Should that be a poll question?

Wuducynn
03-14-2008, 07:57 AM
You're in charge of this section, if you want to, do it. :harrier:

jayson
03-14-2008, 11:12 AM
*shrugs*
They're ok.

Another favorite part of this book is the illustration of Eddie in the field of roses looking up at the Tower. Awesome picture!

i love that pic too, except eddie's dressed all wrong. have i mentioned this before? :lol: still a great pic though.

Wuducynn
03-14-2008, 11:55 AM
I've never even noticed how Eddie's dressed in that picture.

jayson
03-14-2008, 12:43 PM
he's dressed as he would be if he weren't supposed to be wearing Jake's piper uniform like he does in the dream

Wuducynn
03-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Next time I do a re-read, another thing I'll have to pay attention to...

John_and_Yoko
04-03-2008, 12:40 PM
My favorite part was Jake's essay, "My Understanding of Truth."

I'm going to steal that from him.... ;)

Empath of the White
05-17-2008, 09:00 PM
Without a doubt the introduction of the Ageless Stranger. "Shake the hand that shook the world." Sheer badassery in a single sentence.

Erin
05-17-2008, 10:11 PM
"Sheer badassery" :lol: :lol:

Empath of the White
05-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Instead of "sheer badassery", how about "the shat?" :lol:

Upon re-reading, I find that the part of the story that takes place in Lud is one of my favorites in the entire series. It really shows how much Jake means to Roland. Plus next to the portion of the story that takes place in Thunderclap, Lud really defines All-World for me.

Letti
05-22-2008, 04:35 AM
Is that your favourite part from the whole saga? Wow, it's quite interesting. And is this your favourite book, too?

Empath of the White
05-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Indeed, the part that takes place in Lud is one of ny favorite parts in the entire saga. The crazy backbeat, the statues of the Guardians, the hung bodies, Blaine....it all just defines All-World (especially Mid-World) for me. This is actually my second favorite book. My favorite is the final volume, The Dark Tower.

at_one
11-23-2008, 08:29 PM
I just finished reading this chapter of the saga. I didn't like it nearly as much as TDotT as it didn't flow as nice, but it still had it's moments. I especially enjoyed the tiny part were The Ageless Stranger appears to Tick-Tock Man as Richard Fannin...'Not exactly correct, but, I reckon, close enough for government work." Another part was Stephen's imagination in Blaine and it's ability to project outside imagery on the interior walls of the train. Sounds a lot like the technology that they are implementing in concept cars for the next few years.....this book was written 20 years or so ago!

3 DOORS DOWN
11-30-2008, 08:16 AM
The waste lands is also my favorite book from the Dark tower series.Two of my favorite parts that spring to mind 1,When jake first meets OY near river crossing 2,When the group came across David quick in the crashed german focke-wulf plane just outside of lud.This seemed to bring both worlds closer.
By the way was daivid quick the great grand father too andrew quick better known as the tick tock man.

BillyxRansom
11-30-2008, 08:45 AM
The waste lands is also my favorite book from the Dark tower series.Two of my favorite parts that spring to mind 1,When jake first meets OY near river crossing 2,When the group came across David quick in the crashed german focke-wulf plane just outside of lud.This seemed to bring both worlds closer.
By the way was daivid quick the great grand father too andrew quick better known as the tick tock man.

I believe so, yes.

Whitey Appleseed
12-29-2008, 04:52 AM
One of my favorite parts of this book is Susannah and Eddie traveling to Blaine after they separate from Roland and the things Susannah is perceiving about Lud and the description of the giant stone turtle and the golden gunslinger statue.

Read your post and an idea reoccurred to me, about Susannah, how she is able to see how things were, the past, whereas Jake is able to see how things will be, or could be. Interesting in part because of who Susannah is, a black woman from that time period, the 60s I guess. Interesting cause of what that may or may not say about being the master of your own destiny, maybe how being past-focused could be a hindrance. Although I'd be hard-pressed to say being past-focused was a hindrance to her.

I think this is what troubled me about the way Roland taught Susannah to shoot. He has her remembering her past, the folk who done her wrong. With Eddie, on the other hand, he is standing off, aloof, arms crossed and he's gazing at the sky, or something. While Roland allows Eddie time to work through his past with his brother Henry, Roland has Susannah remember her past. Shrug. I dunno. Tilting at windmills again.

mate211
12-30-2008, 07:13 AM
When Oy attacked the Tic-Tock man.:D
The book's pic:
http://sk.fps-hq.hu/pics/books/dt3.jpg

Brainslinger
01-01-2009, 09:46 AM
I think this is what troubled me about the way Roland taught Susannah to shoot. He has her remembering her past, the folk who done her wrong. With Eddie, on the other hand, he is standing off, aloof, arms crossed and he's gazing at the sky, or something. While Roland allows Eddie time to work through his past with his brother Henry, Roland has Susannah remember her past. Shrug. I dunno. Tilting at windmills again.

That's a very interesting point, I never really thought of that. In the case of Eddie, his memories of Henry were a mostly a hindrance to him though (I say mostly, they weren't all bad.) Henry (and their mother) made Eddie used emotional blackmail to control Eddie. He owed them so much (as they'd say) so now he had take care of them, etc, etc. And of course Henry would put him down somewhat, eat at his self esteem. These are things that a gunslinger must put aside to be successful.

In the case of Susannah, whilst her memories were also a source of pain and belittlement to her, Roland shifted them into a source of strength (albeit a dark destructive strength). He pulled them out to make her bite. I'll admit I didn't really agree with his methods in that situation. It was a cruel thing to do, but it did work.)

In short it's not so much the memories themselves as how they are utilized. If they've become so much a part of you that they drag you down and stop your progress, it's best to shed them. However, if you can utilize them for your betterment, that will just aid the progress. Even Eddie took some good from his past. He was very faithful to his ka-mates and adoptive family, a trait that was installed in him with Henry.

EdwardDean1999
02-17-2009, 07:44 PM
I loved this book. I go back and forth between this one and WotC as my favorites. For me I loved EVERYTHING about Lud. The scene left me with so much fascination. I was so interested in Lud's history and what it might have been. How did it happen that the sophisticated/technological Ludians devolved into superstitious sects at war with eachother? SK should write a couple of Lud books.

And was this book not where we first learn of the :rose:? Awesome. I was hooked on Roland reaching the tower from that point on.

Empath of the White
02-28-2009, 12:21 PM
^That's about how it went for me too. :rock:

pixiedark76
03-03-2009, 02:11 PM
My favorite part was when The Ka-Tet came upon the old folks in River Crossing. When they first walked into what they thought of was a deserted town. Then Eddie said that he felt like he was being watched. When the people of River Crossing realized that the new people were Gunslingers, the worshiped them. The best part of River Crossing was when one of the Old People gave Roland a Cross.

Jean
03-05-2009, 01:04 AM
My favorite part was when The Ka-Tet came upon the old folks in River Crossing. When they first walked into what they thought of was a deserted town. Then Eddie said that he felt like he was being watched. When the people of River Crossing realized that the new people were Gunslingers, the worshiped them. The best part of River Crossing was when one of the Old People gave Roland a Cross.
It's my favorite part, too - exactly as you put it! http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Letti
03-05-2009, 01:17 AM
The best part of River Crossing was when one of the Old People gave Roland a Cross.

I am with you. I had tears in my eyes reading that part.

ManOfWesternesse
03-05-2009, 01:24 AM
.... also, in the same section, how Roland treated the old blind woman, asking her to 'see' his face with her hands. King has amazing insight sometimes.

Letti
03-05-2009, 01:37 AM
King has amazing insight sometimes.

Many times. :) That's how I feel.

Anastasia
03-09-2009, 03:46 AM
I liked Jake's essay and the fact that the teacher actually liked it.
The first appearance of Oy.
Roland pursuing Gasher on order to save Jake.
And the River Crossing part:

It was the first time the tet got to see Roland interact with people who knew what he was, and what that meant. The first time we see Roland through their eyes as "a kind of diplomat."

AcidBumbler
05-18-2009, 12:10 PM
When Jake saves Oy and the bridge scene in general.
The showdown in the Tick-Tock Man's lair.
Roland's chase after Jake and Gasher (with help from Oy, of course) :rose:
Roland's calm "Fuck you" when Blaine asks him for a riddle.
Oy's arrival.

Letti
05-18-2009, 12:54 PM

Oh yess, that's a really good one.

AlishaRiley
05-18-2009, 02:28 PM
The best part of River Crossing was when one of the Old People gave Roland a Cross.

I agree, wholeheartedly. :wub:

.... also, in the same section, how Roland treated the old blind woman, asking her to 'see' his face with her hands. King has amazing insight sometimes.

Once more, I agree. It's a beautiful part of the book - it made my eyes well up a little.

:couple: That part is especially good. :wub:

This thread has just made me re-realise how much i love this book.

pathoftheturtle
05-26-2009, 08:19 AM
What can I say? I agree with everything here. This is still my favorite work by Stephen King. As the man himself said, "In many ways Waste Lands feels like the high point of my 'make-believe life.'
Even better than The Stand, maybe."

Favorite parts?
Jake's essay. (And in fact, just about everything about Jake in New York. "Under the umbrella of ka." :) )
The return of The Turtle.
The bear and the bone.
Aunt Talitha.
The Waste Lands (the very idea!) The city on the edge Lud, to me, is a very real place, far moreso than any other TDT setting.
Charlie the Choo-Choo and Riddle-De-Dum.
Detta primes the pump.
The return of R.F.
and etc. :D lol

jayson
05-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Jake's essay. (And in fact, just about everything about Jake in New York.

Same here. Between that part of The Waste Lands and most of The Drawing of the Three, NYC itself became a major character in the series. I still lived up there when I read those books and the heavy NYC elements of them appealed to me greatly, and still do.

pathoftheturtle
05-26-2009, 09:40 AM
I :wub: NY

jayson
05-26-2009, 10:05 AM

My favorite place on Earth.

Letti
05-26-2009, 10:33 AM

My favorite place on Earth.

It's a big dream of mine to see it with my own eyes. *sigh*

jayson
05-26-2009, 10:36 AM
I hope that you can someday Letti. :)

Letti
05-26-2009, 10:41 AM
I will... sooner or later but I will. :)

pathoftheturtle
05-27-2009, 12:49 PM
I spent over twenty years reading and dreaming of it before my first visit. I have had three or four big dreams for my life, and all of them were New York. :sigh:
Be sure to let us know well in advance, Letti, and I'll meet you. :rose:
Love an excuse to return to the city.:nana:
I know some people who've had bad experiences, but all of mine have been great.:cool:
I was at the memorial in October 2001.:cry:
Broadway shows, nightclubs, shops and cafes. :D Central Park, Washington Park, Union Square. Memories. Tribeca, Midtown... I even like New Jersey. lol

Well, anyroa', it was ka in The Waste Lands that I was mostly talkin' 'bout. The Rose, The "Restaurant," Dutch Hill...:clap:

<ô> bango skank <ô>
05-27-2009, 06:18 PM
best bit: Cuthbert tormanting coffin hunters with slingshot in bar.
and Rolands pre-hell-on battle cry, gave me goosebumps.

ps. My understandinf of truth=awesome

BillyxRansom
05-31-2009, 06:31 AM
I even like New Jersey. lol
lololol

jayson
05-31-2009, 06:57 AM
Well, anyroa', it was ka in The Waste Lands that I was mostly talkin' 'bout. The Rose, The "Restaurant," Dutch Hill...:clap:

I love the whole sequence of Jake in NY and his trying to get to Roland's world. The scenes of his trying to blend in with school groups at the museum. Dealing with the cop. The basketball court and Dutch Hill itself. I have a pretty visual mind and have "seen" most the series play out in my head as I read it, but those scenes in particular are among the most vivid for me.

Crow
07-23-2009, 05:40 PM
I have three that were particularly vivid in terms of mental imaging and impact, and it's kind of hard to choose. But when Jake explores the empty lot and discovers the rose is probably my favorite scene of all. I could almost hear the angelic choir, and could see the rose, the purple grass, and the amazingly vivid yellow of the rose's interior (then the many suns producing that glow) in my mind's eye. The wild rose is a bit of an icon for me as well, so the imagery was made even more powerful on a personal level.

The episode in the mansion at Dutch Hill was also rather striking. I'm no arachnophobe, not by a longshot. But those spiders were just...wrong. And I almost always feel that a building I'm in has a particular "feel" or mood to it, so the doorman and the general, dark rotting essence to the place was particularly unsettling but also highly intriguing.

Towards the very end, when Blaine takes off and uses the computer generated images to show the ka-tet the ruined but not quite dead landscape of the wastelands was another one that really stood out. I'll never forget the first time I read of and imagined the pink stork creatures and mutated pterodactyls stabbing and flying and squawking over that hellish, ruined landscape.

uncle_whoopass
07-24-2009, 05:06 AM
When were introduced to Blaine and when Jake comes back to Rolands world are both passages that will always stick with me, wonderfully written and smacking of brilliance.

ola
07-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Yes, when Jake makes it back through the door is one of my favorite scenes in this book too. It's an intense and happy reunion...any scene where the ka-tet is reunited after being apart is a good one!

When they first introduced the cyborg Shardik is another highlight. I think this was the first book that started involving North Central Positironics - I feel like there weren't any robots/cyborgs before this book, right?

Crow
07-27-2009, 04:48 PM
When they first introduced the cyborg Shardik is another highlight. I think this was the first book that started involving North Central Positironics - I feel like there weren't any robots/cyborgs before this book, right?

Yep, that is correct. :)

cody44
07-28-2009, 04:38 PM
The Water Pump in the Gunslinger (Revised) was made by Northern Central Positironics.

pathoftheturtle
07-29-2009, 02:20 PM
The Gunslinger (Revised) was not around til later.

cody44
07-29-2009, 07:35 PM
True, but I wasn't sure if that bit was in the original or not. I've never read it.

Delah
09-08-2009, 09:34 AM
The WasteLands is such a great book -- the best one in the series, IMO. But the whole Jake/Roland reunion scene was just fantastic writing. The best scene.

First, the set up. I knew something was coming from the moment Roland saw Jake in NY via Mort In DOTT ... and especially after Eddie's quote at the end of that book, "Who's going to come through some Magic door and save you, Roland?" Then we have the whole first half of the book, split between Roland and Jake, each suffering and going crazy and dealing with danger -- then The Mansion, the Speaking Ring, Spiders and thunder ... and their reunion is epic. And Roland's promise, which we revisit in every single book afterward. I love it ... although I admit to being a little disapointed that after they reunite the book skips ahead three days. I would have loved a little more Jake "getting to know the ka-tet."

Delacroix
11-18-2009, 01:55 PM
Waoh this tome is really great. I just love the way things are announced, how things slowly settle and how you understand it before seing it happening in front of your eyes.

I love the idea of the old robots left by the Great Old Ones, and the scary machinery they hear behind the steel door.

I really enjoyed the link between Jake and eddie while they didn't know each other. The way Eddie reached Jake through his dreams. Eddie is given a real sensitive aspect in this tome with the wood-carving and the whole forseing thing. Found it pretty nice.

The door in the mud, the demon plus the plaster-man...that was really awesome.

I never thought Jake could get beaten up the way he was... It prooves that, child or not, the Gunslinger's world is a grown up world, and if you dare travel there, get ready to meet bad things. I really enjoy seing that nobody is protected, everybody has to suffer his lot of pain.

iscream22
02-16-2010, 08:19 AM
I love Dark Tower 3 theres so many great sequences, the manhattan shop of the mind, Blaine the Mono, The tick tock man and all the crazy characters and goings on in Lud, Shardik the bear etc etc Great book. Books 1-3 i have a extra special fondness for, I wasn't a big fan of DT 4, dont like the huge flashback. DT 5 was awesome as im a big Kurosawa and Seven Samurai fan. DT 6 was interesting and underrated in my opinion. And DT 7 was kind of a letdown, but i still love the series.

Im actually listening to the DT 3 audiobook as i type this lol.

DARK TOWER SAGA:dance: RULES!

Letti
02-25-2010, 02:05 PM
I love Dark Tower 3 theres so many great sequences, the manhattan shop of the mind, Blaine the Mono, The tick tock man and all the crazy characters and goings on in Lud, Shardik the bear etc etc Great book. Books 1-3 i have a extra special fondness for, I wasn't a big fan of DT 4, dont like the huge flashback. DT 5 was awesome as im a big Kurosawa and Seven Samurai fan. DT 6 was interesting and underrated in my opinion. And DT 7 was kind of a letdown, but i still love the series.

Im actually listening to the DT 3 audiobook as i type this lol.

DARK TOWER SAGA:dance: RULES!

Let us know in one of the DT7 threads why the last book didn't get you.

TodashSpaceDweller
04-06-2010, 01:07 PM
I liked when the gang passes through River Crossing and has the palaver with them: good stuff. I also really enjoyed the Richard Fannin meeting Tick-Tock thing, its so obviosly Flagg that its awesome!

But my faveorite part of all is when Jake is about to be Killed by Gasher and Gashers just standing over him ready to kill and then Roland comes into the chamber of the Grays...
Gahser: You!
Roland: Me (he agrees)
and just blows his head off. AWESOME!!! :clap:

beam*seeker
02-15-2012, 03:13 PM
My favorite part, when Oy tracks Jake and Gasher thru the maze of trash and Roland has to decide if Billy Bumbler's can count or not before crashing into the Tick Tock man's bunker and blowing him away. Oh, and the part where the fountain crashes down and Gasher and Jake are just sure Roland is dead, only he isn't. Great stuff.

mtdman
06-01-2012, 06:58 PM
My favorite part of the book is when Jake is on 'French leave' in NY, both times. Just wandering around, seeing the city. Meeting Calvin Tower and Deepno at the bookstore, in the lot, in the museum, etc. His teacher's ridiculous review of his essay and his dad's nutjob reaction to him skipping school. And then he goes to meet young Eddy. I really enjoy that part of the book. I was glad to see Jake come back into the series.

Roland going through the door to grab Jake, and then the embrace after was great too. I really enjoy the relationship between he and Jake and how that develops in the series.

Chris1974100
11-24-2012, 09:52 PM
I agree Waste Land is one of the best in the series