PDA

View Full Version : King signed bookplate

oy-the-brave
06-23-2008, 03:33 PM
Got this email tonight:

This November, millions of Americans will go to the polls and be given a clear choice – to continue along the path we have taken for the past eight years or to make drastic changes in how we approach the challenges the future holds for our country.

I have been amazed by the incredible energy and passion that voters have shown, turning out across the country in record numbers to demand change.

Here in Maine, we are lucky to have a candidate that understands the kinds of changes we need to move forward. My friend, Congressman Tom Allen, is running for the U.S. Senate. He is committed to expanding opportunities for the middle class, providing affordable health care coverage to all Americans, and responsibly bringing our troops home from Iraq.

I don’t usually do large book signings or events, but this time I’m making an exception because the stakes are so high. We HAVE to change the way the government has been doing business for the last eight years, and I’m doing all I can to help Tom win in November. That’s why I am going to sign 500 bookplates that I will send to the first 500 people who give $150 or more to Tom’s campaign, before June 30th.

http://www.stephenking.com/newsletter/link.php?M=177466&N=46&L=38&F=H

I know that many of you were disappointed when we decided to postpone our planned event in Maine with John Grisham, Tess Gerritsen, and me but we are confident that it will be rescheduled for the fall. When we have more information, we will be sure to let you know.

In the meantime, please do all you can to help Tom’s campaign. In order to make the changes we need, even with a Democratic President, we will need at least 57 Democratic Senators. With your help, Tom Allen will be one of them.

http://www.stephenking.com/newsletter/link.php?M=177466&N=46&L=38&F=H

Thank you for your continued support for Tom’s campaign.

Sincerely,

Stephen King

jhanic
06-23-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm not donating. I don't agree with this guy's (and King's, for that matter) politics. And I think $150 for a signed bookplate is too much.

John

bangoskank1
06-23-2008, 03:47 PM
your certianly entitled to your opinion...thats what makes this country what it is....funny thing is....this doesnt look like Kings writing...I dunno..maybe it's just me.

The Lady of Shadows
06-23-2008, 03:52 PM
wait. what doesn't look like sai king's writing? he's been supporting this guy since day one i'm pretty sure. and god knows i've been getting enough email about it (and i don't even live in maine :lol:).

it's definitely one way to get donations, although i didn't think campaigns were allowed to give quid-pro-quos in return for donations. and this could be considered one. although maybe not since it's king giving it as a private citizen and not the actual campaign. any politicos got a take on this? from a campaign donation perspective?

bangoskank1
06-23-2008, 03:55 PM
oh he supports him allright...I live a few hours from there so I hear it all the time...I just found it odd that he ended his sentence with "and me"...ok ok splitting hairs I know...maybe I should just go away and come back when I'm not so miserable...

oy-the-brave
06-23-2008, 03:56 PM
The email came because I am signed up for messages from www.Stephenking.com, the email is legit. I thought about it for a few minutes but decided to pass (If He had offered to personalize I might have considered it).

bangoskank1
06-23-2008, 03:59 PM
just checked mine...got the same thing...guess it's the real deal...you can all disregard my earlier posts....( I know I left that plate of crow around here somewhere)

Ricky
06-23-2008, 04:07 PM
As much of a King fan that I am, I must say that I don't agree with the selling of the bookplates. For something that were originally going to be given away to ticket buyers, I don't think it's right that he is "bribing" us (per se) to donate to this guy's campaign.

In the past couple of months, I think I've been receiving more mail from sk.com in regard to Tom Allen rather than SK news.

The Lady of Shadows
06-23-2008, 04:21 PM
so people who bought tix to the event didn't get their bookplate mailed to them? i know it was cancelled but still. a promise is a promise. they should still get the damn bookplate. i'll bet some people only bought the damn tix because of the bookplate. i even considered buying tix and like i said, i don't even live in maine.

mia/susannah
06-23-2008, 04:34 PM
As much as I love Stephen King and would love to have a signed bookplate. I do not have the money to donate to any campaigne. I agree we definetly need change all over. I don't live in Maine myself. I think If I had the money I might have donated though

lophophoras
06-23-2008, 05:55 PM
I donated. History in the making is the way I look at it.

Randall Flagg
06-23-2008, 11:40 PM
I think I'll pass, but I appreciate the heads up.

wizardsrainbow
06-24-2008, 02:31 AM
I bit on this for a number of reasons.

carlosdetweiller
06-24-2008, 03:55 AM
What good is a signed bookplate? What do you do with it? Who wants one....really? I guess I am confused over all the hoorah.

wizardsrainbow
06-24-2008, 03:57 AM
What good is a signed bookplate? What do you do with it? Who wants one....really? I guess I am confused over all the hoorah.

Bob-
I agree the bookplate is basically worthless. I donated for other reasons.

carlosdetweiller
06-24-2008, 04:34 AM

Bob-
I agree the bookplate is basically worthless. I donated for other reasons.

Yes. And don't get me wrong. I think contributing to political candidates is a worthwhile thing to do. I contribute modestly to candidates I think are worthy on both a national and local level. But if someone really wanted to advance the agenda of the Democratic Party, in my opinion, a donation to the DNC would do more good, generally speaking. For those of us who don't live in Maine, contributing to a Maine politician because Stephen King asked us to and offered up a signed bookplate as an enticement is sort of like asking us to buy the bookplate for $150. And that's the part I don't get.

wizardsrainbow
06-24-2008, 04:45 AM
Agreed and we already donate to the DNC as well.

Cutter
06-24-2008, 05:25 AM
And I think $150 for a signed bookplate is too much.

John

Agreed, what a rip off. Plus I hate politics with a passion, and I try to just stay out of it. But I understand what King is doing, and have seen it many times before. Being a fan and on the mailing list of Jackson Browne and Bruce Springsteen I've seen this before. But I'll admit, never with an incentive (signed book plate).

sentinel
06-24-2008, 06:26 AM
I agree with Bob, bookplate is worthless and I really don't want or need to mix my hobbies with my politics. I would suggest folks keep their dollars in your local races where it has more of an impact.

Matt
06-24-2008, 06:43 AM
I don't have the money to purchase it and probably wouldn't even if I did. I'm not much for political campaigns.

Sam
06-24-2008, 07:33 AM
I have no desire to fund anyone's campaign at this time. If I were to contribute, it would be for a local guy whose politics I agree with. (Though I doubt I will ever find someone in politics that would support me taking over the country and ruling it with an iron fist.) The bookplate is a small incentive. A personalized book would be a much better one, but it's not my decision what to offer. As to what good is a bookplate, I have several books that have bookplates signed by the authors. I got them at conventions where the author had been advertised but was unable to attend for some reason. I like them as much as most of my signed books. (Some of my signed books have a higher value to me due to my interactions with the author.)

jhanic
06-24-2008, 07:47 AM
I can't help but wonder how long it will be until we begin seeing these signed boolkplates on eBay.

John

e_taylor
06-24-2008, 07:58 AM
I can't help but wonder how long it will be until we begin seeing these signed boolkplates on eBay.

John

Its hard to say John, the sellers would never get their $150 back. So unless they add it in with a high value 1st edition book (lets hope they don't paste it in!), and even then, most of the value would be realized in the book itself as opposed to the bookplate.

thecollector
06-24-2008, 08:22 AM

I can't help but wonder how long until the first forgery of the bookplate is sold

carlosdetweiller
06-24-2008, 08:35 AM
On the plus side, I suppose one's chances of "winning" one of the signed bookplates is pretty high with their $150+ donation.

wizardsrainbow
06-24-2008, 09:28 AM

I can't help but wonder how long until the first forgery of the bookplate is sold

Now there is a depressing (but realistic) thought. Thanks Tomas!

artan
06-24-2008, 02:33 PM
IMHO, in this case, donate = vote...maybe more...and I can't donate for a politician that I don't know.

The bookplate would be a incentive for me...

(I don't have the possibility to get a book signed for me and I live quite far from all American bookstores or american conventions :cry: )

but I will never donate for him...If I don't trust him.

...That’s why I am going to sign 500 bookplates that I will send to the first 500 people who give $150 or more to Tom’s campaign, before June 30th...

if you donate and all bookplate are finished? :orely:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-24-2008, 10:44 PM

You don't get anything.

You cannot get one anyway. Only USA citizens can send donations. It's illegal for foreigners to donate.

Bev Vincent
06-25-2008, 02:40 AM
That's right. I couldn't get one if I wanted to.

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-25-2008, 06:47 AM
Bookplates! Bookplates! Bookplates for sale!

$0.02 per thousand.

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/5534/bookplatesmr9.jpg

Randall Flagg
06-25-2008, 06:49 AM
OK. I'll take 1,000.:orely:

The Lady of Shadows
06-25-2008, 09:24 AM
i'll take 50,000. that's $1 right?

carlosdetweiller
06-25-2008, 11:42 AM
You might as well put me down for a couple of bucks worth.

Hutch
06-25-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm certain Jason at Rareandsigned is interested in a few. We know how much he loves to sell those preprinted cards as a signed item.

The Lady of Shadows
06-25-2008, 01:01 PM
:lol:

Mr. Rabbit Trick
06-25-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm certain Jason at Rareandsigned is interested in a few. We know how much he loves to sell those preprinted cards as a signed item.

I think he prefers the earlier signatures....

http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/396/cardsap5.jpg

sentinel
06-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Oh...I can put them in some book club editions and call them signed firsts! (-;

artan
06-26-2008, 09:16 AM

You don't get anything.

You cannot get one anyway. Only USA citizens can send donations. It's illegal for foreigners to donate.

Mahahahha!!!! :excited:
You are in right, but I know it...I can't donate.

I'm sorry, but my english sometime is not good enough to enable me to express myself correctly. :blush:

What I wanted to say was just my opinion...
1) Don't Vote for a politician that you don't know, only because SK is asking you or just for a signed bookplate.
2) I like the bookplates just because I live far from US and I don't have the possibility to get a book signed for me.

Is it clearer now?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sam
06-27-2008, 11:38 PM
Rabbit,
I remember a long time ago when ebay first got going there was someone who was trying to sell a "signed" King book. It was in fact a signed book. It may have even been signed by Steven King, but I'm pretty sure HE didn't write Eyes of the Dragon. It wasn't even a good forgery, nevermind the misspelling of the Sai King's name. I mean, how do you misspell the name. It's on the cover for heaven's sake.

wizardsrainbow
07-22-2008, 07:42 AM
Here is the bookplate:

http://www.thedarktower.org/gallery/data/519/medium/SK_Book_Plate.JPG

tippy4
07-22-2008, 08:15 AM
Thanks for posting the picture Wiz.

Does this have adhesive on the back?

Will you be sticking it in a book, or keeping it as is? (I am guessing the latter).

Did the "Time for a change...." and the Tom Allen website address on the plate dissapoint you or were you expecting it?

Ricky
07-22-2008, 09:15 AM
The Tom Allen info at the bottom definitely throws me off of wanting one (not that I'd want one anyway). 20 years from now people are going to look at that and say, Who's Tom Allen and why is he on Stephen King's bookplate?

Randall Flagg
07-22-2008, 09:43 AM
The Tom Allen info at the bottom definitely throws me off of wanting one (not that I'd want one anyway). 20 years from now people are going to look at that and say, Who's Tom Allen and why is he on Stephen King's bookplate?
Or it could be quite the opposite. The Tom Allen affiliation could make it all the more unique and therefore valuable.

tippy4
07-22-2008, 09:43 AM

See, now that was my initial way of thinking as well.

But the truth of the matter, is that I would probably never stick a generic bookplate in a book anyhow...so I would not mind the Tom Allen stuff on it.

I would look at it more as a loose autograph instead of a signed bookplate.

wizardsrainbow
07-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks for posting the picture Wiz.

Does this have adhesive on the back?

Will you be sticking it in a book, or keeping it as is? (I am guessing the latter).

Did the "Time for a change...." and the Tom Allen website address on the plate dissapoint you or were you expecting it?

Yes, there appears to be adhesive on the back (peel off backing), and no, I will leave it as is.

The Tom Allen reference did not disappoint me. Actually, I kind of like it as it differentiates this one from other King signed book plates.

jemaher
07-22-2008, 03:27 PM
well my bookplate finally arrived...

Room 217 Caretaker
12-22-2008, 06:54 PM

John

John,

To answer your question:

Almost 6 months

http://cgi.ebay.com/SIGNED-STEPHEN-KING-bookplate-RARE-and-PERFECT-piece_W0QQitemZ280296724295QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item280296724295&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A10|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Mulleins
Cumberland VA

jemaher
12-22-2008, 06:56 PM
shit, for $125 they can have mine!