PDA

View Full Version : Nottingham - Ridley Scott's version of the classic tale, Robin Hood

fernandito
06-22-2008, 09:11 AM
Batman in Nottingham?
Bale and others among rumored cast additions.
by Brian Linder

June 20, 2008 - Is Batman relocating from Gotham to Sherwood Forest? If rumors are true, then Dark Knight star Christian Bale could be playing Robin Hood in filmmaker Ridley Scott's upcoming Nottingham, a revisionist take on the medieval legend.

The Daily Mail says that Scott is keen to cast Bale in the film, but adds that he hasn't officially signed on as yet.

In the film, Robin Hood is the chief suspect in a series of murders being investigated by the Sheriff of Nottingham.

Russell Crowe is set to star as the Sheriff, who has reportedly been retooled into something of a good guy in Brian Helgeland's script. Sienna Miller recently signed on to play Maid Marian.

The Mail adds that veteran actors Vanessa Redgrave and William Hurt are in talks to join the project as well. Saoirse Ronan (Atonement, City of Ember) will also star, the paper says.

Casting is expected to be firmed up by next week, when costume fittings are reportedly scheduled to begin.

Erin
06-22-2008, 09:46 AM
oooohhh Feev you always have all the good movie news.

I'm excited for this...I love love love the Robin Hood story and never get sick of seeing it done over and over.

fernandito
06-22-2008, 09:50 AM
I love all the Robin Hood movies, especially the Disney one. :lol:

Erin
06-22-2008, 09:57 AM
That's my favorite too! :wub:

"Robin Hood and Little John, walking through the forest, laughin' back and forth at what the other one had to say, reminicisin-nisn that and havin' such a good time, oo-de-lally, oo-de-lally, golly what a day".

I love that song so much I have it on my ipod and listen to it in my car all the time. :D

fernandito
06-22-2008, 10:00 AM
"Your name will go down, down...in history of course!
I knew it! I knewww it! Did you hear that Hiss? Oh, he's in the boss-ket.
(punches basket)"

:D

turtlex
06-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Great news.
Though I'm not a big fan of Russell Crowe, I think Bale's would make a good Robin Hood.

Anything had to be better than that Kevin Costner shipwreck.

I love the Robin Hood Legend. I think Scott will do a great job with it.

Thanks for posting the info!

fernandito
06-22-2008, 07:18 PM
What's peaking my interest the most is that the Sheriff of Nottingham is being portrayed as a good guy in this film. I'm anxious to see how Scott pulls that off.

fernandito
07-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Or not?...

No Robin For Batman?
Casting buzz for Ridley Scott's Nottingham.
by Jim Vejvoda

June 23, 2008 - Last week brought the rumor that Batman star Christian Bale was poised to reteam with his 3:10 to Yuma co-star Russell Crowe for director Ridley Scott's Robin Hood re-imagining, Nottingham. But that casting rumor is reportedly untrue.

According to Ain't It Cool News, "there is absolutely no truth" to the British tabloid report that Bale is in talks to play the bandit of Sherwood Forest.

So if Bale isn't going to play Robin Hood then who might? Latino Review reports that Crowe is pushing for British actor Sam Riley, 28, to play the part because he loved his performance as Joy Division singer Ian Curtis in last year's biopic Control.

Crowe (as the Sheriff of Nottingham) and Sienna Miller (as Maid Marian) are the only officially confirmed cast members in Nottingham thus far.

fernandito
08-06-2008, 07:22 PM
The Trouble in Nottingham
What's delaying Ridley's Robin Hood reimagining?
by Jim Vejvoda

August 6, 2008 - A number of different reasons were floated in the press when it was revealed that filming on Nottingham -- director Ridley Scott's reimagining of the Robin Hood myth where the Sheriff of Nottingham (Russell Crowe) is the good guy -- had been postponed. The possibility of a screen actors' strike, rewrites and even the color of the forest were all cited.

But now The Los Angeles Times has spoken with Universal Pictures honcho Marc Shmuger, who advised the paper that the primary reason why the project has stalled is because Scott is reconceiving the story. "The [original] script [penned by Ethan Reiff and Cyrus Voris] had the sheriff of Nottingham as a CSI-style forensics investigator, set in medieval times," said Shmuger. "It was really well written, but Ridley's interest took him in a different direction."

Scott's vision for the film, according to Shmuger, is "this is how Robin Hood became an outlaw and this is how those guys became the Merry Men of Sherwood Forest. Ridley's vision of the movie is very visceral, very physical -- you're really in the forest, pulling back a giant bow."

The paper adds that Paul Webb's rewrite of the Nottingham script is due this month, which means -- if it meets with Scott's approval -- that filming could commence in early 2009. The Times adds that this delay also gives Crowe enough time to get in shape.

Spencer
08-25-2008, 10:28 AM
Hey, it's gotta be better than that Kevin Costner crap that also blessed us with that Bryan Adams song that still gives me nightmares.

fernandito
08-25-2008, 10:55 AM
I hope that Scott does convince Bale to take part in this film.

*crosses fingers*

Rjeso
08-25-2008, 11:27 AM
That's my favorite too! :wub:

"Robin Hood and Little John, walking through the forest, laughin' back and forth at what the other one had to say, reminicisin-nisn that and havin' such a good time, oo-de-lally, oo-de-lally, golly what a day".

I love that song so much I have it on my ipod and listen to it in my car all the time. :D

Wow, good to know I'm not the only one! :lol:

Matt
08-27-2008, 02:21 PM
I loved the Kevin Costner movie :ninja:

But I really like a lot of his movies.

Hornet of Death
08-30-2008, 03:45 PM
I love the Nottingham character. More like Robin Hood. I'm looking forward to this movie. Especially with this cast.

Gileadean Knight
09-02-2008, 10:43 PM
Sounds awesome. I love Ridley Scott. His films have so much energy in the fight scenes and Ridley owns when it comes to smaller scale, 1on1 type of fighting so it should be cool. Remember gladiator's fight scenes? So personal, so visceral, so intense and energetic, so good... Ridley also works very well with the elememts. He's always got huge chunks of earth flying through the frame during a fight or dramatic snow flakes falling or the likes.
I don't know if Christian Bale should be robin hood however. I haven't thought about it enough to give a well supported opinion as to why, its just that I don't think I can ever see christian bale as anyone other than batman because that is what is so vividly burned into my head as who he "is". Its like he could have done whatever films before and can do whatever ones after but he will always be remembered for Batman. (kind of like viggo for LOTR) A dude like Crowe on the other hand is not like that. He is remembered for a lot of stuff; he's maximus, no wait he's John Nash, no wait he's Richie Roberts, no wait he's Jack Aubrey, no wait he's...... get the point? So maybe Bale could do it but I'm iffy right now because it might be hard to take him seriously as anyone but batman.

fernandito
09-03-2008, 06:12 AM
What if Bale did the 'Bat Growl' as Robin Hood? :rofl:

WHERE'S PRINCE JOHN?!!

fernandito
09-30-2008, 12:00 PM
Robin Hood Cast
You'll never guess who's playing the hero in Ridley Scott's Nottingham.
by Brian Linder

September 29, 2008 - Here's a bit of casting news we weren't expecting: Russell Crowe, who signed on months ago to Nottingham, playing the Sheriff in Ridley Scott's upcoming revisionist take on the Robin Hood story, is also playing Robin.

The project, which could start filming early next year, apparently takes everything you thought you knew about Robin Hood and throws it out the window. In talking up the film, Scott has always mentioned that the Sheriff of Nottingham was not the villain in this version, but we never expected him to actually become Robin Hood.

While talking to MTV, Scott revealed that Crowe will indeed be playing dual roles. "He's playing both," the director explained. Scott calls the story-telling maneuver "a good old clever adjustment of characters." "One becomes the other," he says. "It changes."

According to a recent statement made by Universal Pictures' honcho Marc Shmuger, the movie tells "how Robin Hood became an outlaw" and "how those guys became the Merry Men of Sherwood Forest."

"Ridley's vision of the movie is very visceral, very physical," he told the LA Times. "You're really in the forest, pulling back a giant bow."

It remains to be seen how Scott plans to pull of the dual role scenario. Perhaps Robin wears a disguise that obscures his face when he's out stealing from the rich and giving to the poor. What do you think? Leave a comment below...

fernandito
02-10-2009, 05:18 AM
Blanchett in Nottingham?
Indy villain may play Maid Marian to Crowe's Robin Hood.
by Jim Vejvoda

February 10, 2009 - Cate Blanchett is said to be ready to play Maid Marian in director Ridley Scott's long-delayed Robin Hood re-imagining Nottingham.

Sienna Miller dropped out of the role last month reportedly over concerns that her age difference with leading man Russell Crowe, who will play both Robin Hood and the Sheriff of Nottingham, was off-putting.

The Telegraph caught up with Body of Lies actor Mark Strong, recently cast as the villainous Sir Guy of Gisbourne, at the recent London Film Critics' Circle Awards, who revealed, "I think Cate Blanchett is set to take the Maid Marian part."

Strong added that Blanchett "is a wonderful actress and it would make it a much classier film if she was in it."

Blanchett, most recently seen onscreen in The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, is no stranger to genre fare, having previously starred in the Lord of the Rings trilogy and last summer's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

The Cosmic Geek
02-10-2009, 06:30 PM
This sounds interesting.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
02-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Excellent story, Excellent cast, Excellent director. Cant wait

fernandito
02-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Russell Crowe is Robin Hood
Ridley gives an update on the film formerly known as Nottingham.
by Jim Vejvoda

February 17, 2009 - Director Ridley Scott has revealed that his oft-postponed Robin Hood project, previously titled Nottingham, finally begins shooting in two months.

In a chat with MTV, Scott said that Russell Crowe will not be playing the dual roles of Robin Hood and the Sheriff of Nottingham, as had long been reported, but rather just the legendary outlaw of Sherwood Forest.

The dual roles prospect "was an idea so far back, way back when at the time I had this proposed to me, and I read it and thought, 'I don't really know what it does for it, but it's alright'," Scott told MTV. "It is better to simply have the evolution of a character called Robin Hood, who will come out of a point in the Crusades which is the end."

The Kingdom of Heaven helmer said the Robin Hood of his film will begin as a bowman in the army of English king Richard the Lionheart. The Sheriff of Nottingham will now be "less important," with the film's central menace being the French. "The villain is much bigger in that sense; much more important, and much more dangerous," Scott said.

The director also rubbished reports that Crowe's weight is a concern for the production, saying that his leading man will be in shape in time for filming and has been training in archery for the last four months.

fernandito
02-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Blanchett Confirmed as Maid Marian
Replaces Sienna Miller in Scott's Robin Hood.
by Scott Collura

February 26, 2009 - Confirming a story IGN ran two weeks ago, Variety is reporting that Cate Blanchett will play Maid Marian in Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe's Robin Hood.

Previously called Nottingham, the film was originally to have starred Sienna Miller in the role, though she dropped out of the picture last month reportedly over concerns regarding her age difference with leading man Crowe, who will play the title character.

Production begins in early April on the film, which, according to the trade, "has evolved into a Gladiator version of the Robin Hood legend. … Crowe plays Robin of Loxley in an original story that hews close to historical facts of the period. Abandoned as a child, he finds community with the common people of Nottingham. Robin's abandonment and trust issues hamper his ability to fall in love. He meets his match in Marian, a strong, independent woman."

At one time Crowe was rumored to be playing both Hood and his nemesis the Sheriff of Nottingham, but Scott recently dismissed those reports while adding that the Sheriff will be "less important" now to the film's story.

fernandito
03-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Robin Hood's Merry Men
Three actors join Ridley Scott's re-imagining.
by Jim Vejvoda

March 11, 2009 - With director Ridley Scott's re-imagining of Robin Hood, starring Russell Crowe as the titular archer-outlaw and Cate Blanchett as Maid Marian, gearing up for production, the filmmakers are busy filling out the ranks of Robin's Merry Men.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, actors Scott Grimes (ER), Kevin Durand (soon to be seen as The Blob in X-Men Origins: Wolverine) and Canadian folk rocker Alan Doyle have been cast in Robin Hood.

Grimes will play Robin's nephew, swordsman Will Scarlet, while Doyle will portray the wandering minstrel Alan a Dayle. Durand, who co-starred opposite Crowe in 3:10 to Yuma and has appeared on Lost, will play Robin Hood's towering best bud Little John.

Oscar winner Brian Helgeland penned the revised script for Robin Hood, which begins filming next month. Robin Hood is slated for a May 14, 2010 release.