PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite "Childhood" Books

Pages : [1] 2

theBeamisHome
06-18-2008, 04:41 AM
I hope this is where this would go.
I put childhood in quotations because I want the books to be ones that are considered to be for children. I know some of us were reading Sai King when we were like 8 or 9 but I'm not sure a lot of people would consider his books child friendly. I've been an avid reader since I first learned how so I have a few:

The Phantom Tollbooth- Amazing story. Great for kids that can understand what it means
The Little Prince- I've read it in both French and English. It's fully of allegory. And it makes this list for me because it's considered a children's book, but I really didn't read it until I was in like 11th or 12th grade. You should definitely reread it as an adult if you did when you were a child.
The Julie of the Wolves Series- I love wolves and this is probably my only favorite that was really just what it seemed. A story about a girl in Alaska that lives with a pack of wolves for a time. It was a three book series.

Ok.. those are my top 3... You can pick more or less if you have a hard time choosing, but please don't pick over 5 lol..

razz
06-18-2008, 04:57 AM
my side of the mountain. another great series by Jean C George

blackrose22
06-18-2008, 05:05 AM
As a kid I used to love reading The Famous Five books by Enid Blyton. Five on Finniston Farm was my favorite and must of read it dozens of times. Must look for it and read it again. Has to be at least 30 years since I last read it. God I'm getting old:( :P .

Archangel(tjk)
06-18-2008, 07:27 AM
I would have to say the Hobbit, THe BFG by Dahl and a wrinkle in time

Daghain
06-18-2008, 07:39 AM
Eight Cousins, by Louisa May Alcott. I have no idea why, but I loved that book.

MonteGss
06-18-2008, 07:41 AM
Holy shit, weird timing for this thread...I just found a book on eBay that I have been looking for for a long time. One from my childhood that it turns out is out of print now and nobody seems to remember it.

Uncle Wiggily and the Runaway Cheese. :D

I've ordered two, so I can give one to my goddaughter to have. :)

Matt
06-18-2008, 07:44 AM
I was all Judy Blume and SE Hinton :(

Rumble Fish!!

MonteGss
06-18-2008, 07:46 AM
When I was in the "tween" age, I really dug The Hardy Boys.

Darkthoughts
06-18-2008, 07:54 AM
S E Hinton! *gives Matt some skin* Rumblefish was awesome, although my favourite will always be The Outsiders. That Was Then, This Is Now is also excellent.
I once wrote a short story for an English assignment that my teacher gave me an A for and wrote the comment "reminiscent of S E Hinton" and it was my best compliment ever :D

Where The Wild Things Are is my favourite picture book story. Later on I was pretty much hooked on anything by Diana Wynne Jones.

jayson
06-18-2008, 07:54 AM
The Phantom Tollbooth is definitely my favorite book from my childhood.

Daghain
06-18-2008, 07:56 AM
I totally forgot about Judy Blume and S.E. Hinton. Both are excellent!

Darkthoughts
06-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Judy Blume :cool: I remember Forever was the most checked out book in the school library :lol:

Matt
06-18-2008, 07:58 AM
:o

Kinship!! :grouphug:

Those two really defined my early reading experience, it wasn't a few years after that when King grabbed me for good.

theBeamisHome
06-18-2008, 08:00 AM

Mine and your love of The Phantom Tollbooth that was stated in the fottergrafs thread is what inspired this one :couple:

Daghain
06-18-2008, 08:06 AM
Judy Blume :cool: I remember Forever was the most checked out book in the school library :lol:

I was in Catholic school when that came out - it was passed around among the girls like contraband in the prison yard. :lol:

Darkthoughts
06-18-2008, 08:08 AM
My school was totally liberal, but even so you were sworn by everyone on the waiting list for it not to let the teachers look at it.
Shit, if you'd have been responsible for that getting confiscated you'd have been lynched :lol:

jayson
06-18-2008, 08:48 AM

Mine and your love of The Phantom Tollbooth that was stated in the fottergrafs thread is what inspired this one :couple:

I'm just glad to encounter more people who've read it. For such a great book I've not met/spoken to very many others who read it. I've actually bought a couple of copies over the years for friends with kids so they can read it.

cozener
06-18-2008, 09:02 AM
Cat in the Hat

educatedlady
06-18-2008, 09:10 AM
The Hobbit and The House of Seven Gables were the books I read most often, but I didn't really read a lot of "kids" books when I was younger. If it wasn't for school it was usually something my mom had read (like something by King). I did really like Nancy Drew books for a while when I was like, 7.

theBeamisHome
06-18-2008, 09:18 AM
oh oh.. how could i forget? I LOVED the Boxcar Children.. read as many of them as I could find.

fernandito
06-18-2008, 11:44 AM
Anything Goosebumps by R.L Stine.

theBeamisHome
06-18-2008, 11:45 AM
I like the Fear Street stuff better than Goosebumps

educatedlady
06-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Fear Street! I remember those. Definitely better than Goosebumps.

Heather19
06-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Yay! Some Fear St. fans. I loved those books.

And pretty much anything by Dr. Seuss is great.

John_and_Yoko
06-18-2008, 02:36 PM
And pretty much anything by Dr. Seuss is great.

Amen to that. I always loved those....

Only real problem with them is translating.... Hard to keep the rhythm and rhyme scheme--but it's been done.

Anyway, the rhythm and rhyme help you to remember the exact wording. :)

The Lady of Shadows
06-18-2008, 02:51 PM
And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street
Outside Over There (although i was older when it came out it just spoke to me)
Horton Hatches The Egg

Heather19
06-18-2008, 03:02 PM
I always loved Horton Hears a Who, and Wacky Wednesday.

razz
06-18-2008, 03:07 PM
i never read those kind of books. the only books i remember reading (except for ones of information) that did not have chapters, were those little 10 page picture books that you read with your parents in kindergarten (well, at least I started in kindergarten). after that i read some of them there boxcar children books, got ill off Goosebumps, read some Ph34rstreet, and worked my way to Crichton by 4th grade

Shamey
06-18-2008, 03:50 PM
I read a lot of Ramona Quimby...I think that's what it was called

The Lady of Shadows
06-18-2008, 03:51 PM
ooh. i liked ramona, too. beezus and ramona. ramona the pest. you mean her right? :)

Shamey
06-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Yeah! I remember one where she tries to get her Dad to quit smoking so she replaced all his cigarettes with rolled up pieces of paper that said something like "please quit". Does anyone remember Amelia Bedelia? I don't know if that's spelled right either.

razz
06-18-2008, 03:55 PM
holy shit i actually remember that. i think it wa required reading in for my secind grade reading class. what you think of is the "Nosmo King" poster

Heather19
06-18-2008, 04:23 PM
Ramona and Amelia Bedelia, I had forgotten all about those.

PedroPáramo
06-18-2008, 05:00 PM
"The treasure island"
and
"Charly and the chocolate factory"

razz
06-18-2008, 05:01 PM
for a second i thought you said charlie the Choo-Choo

LadyHitchhiker
06-18-2008, 05:08 PM
Any books by

Dr. Seuss

or

Roald Dahl

were my FAVORITES...

Jean
06-19-2008, 01:11 AM
Winnie the Pooh (obviously)
Mary Poppins
Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass (not really a children's book, but I've read it since I can remember myself)
The Adventures of Tom Sayer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Treasure Island
Robinson Crusoe
Captain Blood series (by Sabatini)
Karlsson-on-the-Roof series, by Astrid Lindgren
The Pippi Longstocking series, by Astrid Lindgren
Kalle Blomkvist series, by Astrid Lindgren

also, a lot of Russian (Soviet) books, they were wonderful

Unfound One
06-19-2008, 01:25 AM
- All the Boxcar Children books - I was in the bookclub where you got 3 new ones in the mail every two weeks (except I'd have them read in 2 days and have to wait) :cyclops:
- I was really into Nancy Drew for awhile
- Louis Sachar books, Holes and the Wayside School books
- The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
- Shel Silverstein collections (Where the Sidewalk Ends and Falling Up)
- Hurry Home, Candy by Meindert Dejong, about a homeless dog - this book used to make me cry and cry.

theBeamisHome
06-19-2008, 04:14 AM
i had Amelia Bedeliea too.. and my favorite Dr. Suess story was The Sneetches... just said so much about society and discrimination. Dr. Suess was deep... anybody have those books that were supposed to teach you manners?

cozener
06-19-2008, 05:29 AM
A lot of the books being mentioned...not sure I consider them "children's" books. I guess when I think of a Children's book I think of books with lots of pictures depicting the story. The Hobbit doesn't really fall into this category. The Hobbit, Goosebumps, etc...I see those as "tweener" books. "Everybody Poops"...now thats a children's book. :)

jayson
06-19-2008, 05:31 AM
I lot of the books being mentioned...not sure I consider them "children's" books. I guess when I think of a Children's book I think of books with lots of pictures depicting the story. The Hobbit doesn't really fall into this category. The Hobbit, Goosebumps, etc...I see those as "tweener" books. :)

Though that may be the age group that typically reads and enjoys the Hobbit, Tolkien did envision writing it for a younger audience. His original test reader for it was Rayner Unwin [son of his publisher Stanley Unwin] who was only 8 at the time and he enjoyed it thoroughly.

theBeamisHome
06-19-2008, 05:33 AM
ok well i guess that could be a little ambiguous.. i really meant the kinds of books that are meant for kids pre-high school...

LadyHitchhiker
06-19-2008, 05:41 AM
Alice in Wonderland kicked butt

so does

Momo and Neverending story by Michael Ende.

cozener
06-19-2008, 06:12 AM
I lot of the books being mentioned...not sure I consider them "children's" books. I guess when I think of a Children's book I think of books with lots of pictures depicting the story. The Hobbit doesn't really fall into this category. The Hobbit, Goosebumps, etc...I see those as "tweener" books. :)

Though that may be the age group that typically reads and enjoys the Hobbit, Tolkien did envision writing it for a younger audience. His original test reader for it was Rayner Unwin [son of his publisher Stanley Unwin] who was only 8 at the time and he enjoyed it thoroughly. Something tells me that little Rayner had more of a command of the English language than most of today's 8 year olds.

jayson
06-19-2008, 06:13 AM
Something tells me that little Rayner had more of a command of the English language than most of today's 8 year olds.

I don't doubt that for a second.

theBeamisHome
06-19-2008, 06:17 AM
i'm going to turn my children into little reading monsters like myself... nigel will get them into sci fi and i'll get them into horror... besides that we're well balanced in everything else... but my kids will read :evil: :shoot: :ninja:

LadyHitchhiker
06-19-2008, 06:24 AM
How about the Phantom Tollbooth?!?!? Amazing book!

theBeamisHome
06-19-2008, 06:26 AM
yeah we mentioned that.. another Phantom Tollbooth fan!!! YAAAYYY!! :rock:

where'd RofG go? must have a party in the Castle in the Air.

LadyHitchhiker
06-19-2008, 06:27 AM
I love my spelling bee...

theBeamisHome
06-19-2008, 06:28 AM
I really like Tock..... Killing Time???? Killing Time??? lol don't kill Time people... it hurts

Odetta
06-19-2008, 06:29 AM
I loved
Charly & the Chocolate Factory
Judy Blume
The Little House on the Prairie series

when I was young, Dr. Suess would have been my choice, I think.

Tiffany
06-19-2008, 06:37 AM
The first book I ever loved was Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney. I got it at the book fair in 2nd grade. The illustrations are what prompted me to get it but the story ended up being lovely.

Chronicles of Narnia
James and the Giant Peach

The Ramona Quimby books. Shel Silverstein books.

OH! I absolutely LOVED Madeleine L'Engle's series of books....A Wrinkle in Time, A Wind in the Door, A Swiftly Tilting Planet....what else? Many Waters and An Acceptable Time.

Those were the books I loved in elementary school so I'm considering them childhood books.

theBeamisHome
06-19-2008, 06:43 AM
i'm so glad this thread has caught on so well... ahhhh memory lane *nostalgic*

Tiffany
06-19-2008, 06:45 AM
I'm glad it was started. It's made me think about some of the books I fell in love with that gave me a passion for reading in the first place.

I think I'm gonna look for those Wind in the Door books next time I'm at the bookstore.

Ruthful
06-19-2008, 06:48 AM
The Adventures of Tom Sayer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
The Treasure Island

Those were some of my favorite novels when I was younger. There was an entire series of abridged classics for children-I don't even remember the publishing house, to be honest-which I loved reading as a child.

I don't remember reading too much fiction as a kid. Usually I stuck with the Eyewitness series, about things like dinosaurs and archaeology, or that catalog of thin books about scientific subjects.

-The Pigman
-The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
-The Outsiders, I love S.E. Hinton too!
-James and the Giant Peach

Odetta
06-19-2008, 06:51 AM
OOH! The Chronicles of Naria! I forgot about them! I've been reading them to my daughter.

Daghain
06-19-2008, 07:49 AM
I forgot all about the Little House on the Prairie books. I loved them!

EXPLORER
06-19-2008, 12:02 PM
my side of the mountain. another great series by Jean C George

Wow, INTERSTING TO SEE THIS ONE as I recently went searching for copies of this to give to my nephews. It was one I always considered a favorite.

My wifes favorite was "The Boxcar Children"
I spent many hours searching for a 1st Edition of it for her. I found a few, usually not cheap and not in great shape..... then happened upon on at a fleamarket and nice shape for a couple bucks. Since then, was able to acquire a signed copie at St. Petersberg Antiquarian book fair.

Odetta
06-19-2008, 12:05 PM
I forgot all about the Little House on the Prairie books. I loved them!

:nana:

Unfound One
06-19-2008, 01:05 PM
Tiffany - I loved the Wrinkle in Time series in elementary school! I read the first four but aparently there's a fifth - An Acceptable Time?
Sweet. I'm gonna look for it. :)

Darkthoughts
06-19-2008, 01:08 PM
And...:blush:...I must admit to a Sweet Valley High obsession at one point :D

Heather19
06-19-2008, 01:38 PM

and that just reminded me of The Babysitter's Club. I think I read quite a few of those when I was younger.

Unfound One
06-19-2008, 01:58 PM
Oh gosh... I read as many Babysitter's Club books as I could get my hands on.

Odetta
06-19-2008, 07:55 PM

OMG! Me too!
:ninja:

Darkthoughts
06-20-2008, 01:53 AM
United in our cheesy shame :D :couple:

theBeamisHome
06-20-2008, 04:16 AM
Yeah... i'll admit to reading The Babysitter's Club too.... *sigh* lol

razz
06-20-2008, 05:12 AM
my side of the mountain. another great series by Jean C GeorgeWow, INTERSTING TO SEE THIS ONE as I recently went searching for copies of this to give to my nephews. It was one I always considered a favorite.

i still read that one.

Shamey
06-20-2008, 03:19 PM
I recently saw a book that used to read when I was real small was made into a movie - Harold and the Purple Crayon. What were those Christopher Pike books? It was like a series of thriller books that was written for I guess young teenagers..I know I read some of those...

theBeamisHome
06-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Harold and the Purple Crayon is an eternal classic....

fernandito
06-20-2008, 03:40 PM

OMG! Me too!

Did you guys watch the TV show?

Crap, now I got the f'n song stuck in my head. <_<

Unfound One
06-20-2008, 07:38 PM
Harold and the Purple Crayon! I was just talking about those books with a friend the other day.
What about the Carl books? One was called Good Dog, Carl - they didn't have any words, just illustrations - he was kind of a dog babysitter, they were so cute. :)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9e/GoodDogCarlBookCover.jpg

Odetta
06-21-2008, 03:52 PM

OMG! Me too!

Did you guys watch the TV show?

Crap, now I got the f'n song stuck in my head. <_<

I don't remember a show... must have been after my time.

Heather19
06-21-2008, 04:11 PM
I remember that show, and I'll admit to having watched it. And now that you've got me thinking about it Feev, I'm going to have that song stuck in my head all night too.

Zalia
06-21-2008, 04:18 PM
R.L. Stine and Christoper Pike. Before that Judy Blume and Roald Dolph and if anyone remembers these "Choose Your Own Adventure Books".

Heather19
06-21-2008, 04:32 PM
and if anyone remembers these "Choose Your Own Adventure Books".

I used to love those as well

Odetta
06-21-2008, 05:45 PM
I was a huge fan of the CHoose your own Adventure books. I distinctly remember one about a hot air ballon ride!

The Lady of Shadows
06-21-2008, 05:46 PM
oh man. choose your own adventure. and if you didn't like the way it was going, you just went a different way. niiiiiice. :)

Unfound One
06-21-2008, 08:31 PM
The only problem with those was I would put a finger in the page where I made a decision and then another and another and just keep backtracking if i didn't like where the story was going. :lol:

The Lady of Shadows
06-21-2008, 08:58 PM
shhh. that's what i was implying. :couple:

Brice
06-21-2008, 09:24 PM
The Pokey Little Puppy
Green Eggs And Ham
The Giving Tree
Madeline L'Engle's series (though I've only read the first 3)
Chronicles of Narnia
The L. Frank Baum OZ books
Choose Your Own Adventure books
Encyclopedia Brown books
James And The Giant Peach
S. E. Hinton (everything)
Where The Wild Things Are

That's what comes to mind at the moment.

Ka-tet
06-22-2008, 05:37 AM
The tales of brare rabit.
The animals of farthing wood.

theBeamisHome
06-22-2008, 08:43 AM
what about the one that was about that dirty little dog? harry? i'm not sure.. now i can't remember the name...

John_and_Yoko
06-22-2008, 12:39 PM
what about the one that was about that dirty little dog? harry? i'm not sure.. now i can't remember the name...

Harry the Dirty Dog?

Daghain
06-22-2008, 07:16 PM
The Pokey Little Puppy
Green Eggs And Ham
The Giving Tree
Chronicles of Narnia
Encyclopedia Brown books

The Giving Tree! I love that book!

theBeamisHome
06-23-2008, 04:31 AM
lol yes.. Harry the Dirty Dog.. ><

Brice
06-23-2008, 10:02 AM
The Pokey Little Puppy
Green Eggs And Ham
The Giving Tree
Chronicles of Narnia
Encyclopedia Brown books

The Giving Tree! I love that book!

It's a beautiful little story.

Tvmorbid
06-26-2008, 12:18 AM
My fave childhood books where the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett, I started reading them when I was about 10/11 and have been hooked ever since :)

I also used to love reading any of the Point Horror series, I think I still have a few knocking around somewhere lol

Tiffany
06-26-2008, 06:16 AM
Tiffany - I loved the Wrinkle in Time series in elementary school! I read the first four but aparently there's a fifth - An Acceptable Time?
Sweet. I'm gonna look for it. :)

I haven't read it, either, but I plan on tracking down all those books and giving them another go. That was my first series of chapter books. :)

So, I was in the "How Do You Imagine Rhea?" thread and the story with the sliver of mirror in her eye....

...I had a huge, old book of fairy tales that I loved and there was a story of two siblings and some ice witch who had a mirror that broke and a sliver of glass fell into one of the kids' eyes, making him/her evil and mean. Does this ring anyone's bell? As soon as I read that bit in the comic, I knew I'd heard that story before (then I forgot).
Reading it again here jogged my memory. And now it'll drive me insane.

Daghain
06-26-2008, 08:12 AM
I have heard of it, but I can't remember where now either.

theBeamisHome
06-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Tiffany that's the Snow Queen. I had it and read it constantly. It's one of my favorite childhood stories. It's by Hans Christian Andersen.

just for the sake of your sanity :D

Daghain
06-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks! That was driving me nuts, too. :)

Tiffany
06-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Tiffany that's the Snow Queen. I had it and read it constantly. It's one of my favorite childhood stories. It's by Hans Christian Andersen.

:rose: Praise you!

I loved that story, even though it made me paranoid about pieces of glass falling in my eye and making me nasty.

theBeamisHome
06-26-2008, 10:35 AM
No problem... i have Hans' book of fairy tales and that was the one i read all the time. i wish i had my lil library down here with me. now i want to read it again.

theBeamisHome
06-26-2008, 10:36 AM

I loved that story, even though it made me paranoid about pieces of glass falling in my eye and making me nasty.

omg i was afraid of that too! and sometimes i wondered if it had already happened to my lil sister. she could be evil. did you ever see the little movie they did of it?

Erin
06-26-2008, 10:42 AM
The Thief of Always - Clive Barker

James and the Giant Peach

Charlotte's Web

Goodnight Moon

Tiffany
06-26-2008, 10:44 AM

omg i was afraid of that too! and sometimes i wondered if it had already happened to my lil sister. she could be evil. did you ever see the little movie they did of it?

NO! Is it animated? Can it be rented?

theBeamisHome
06-26-2008, 10:49 AM

NO! Is it animated? Can it be rented?

well the one i remember wasn't animated.. but i just wiki'd it and apparently its been done a lot in different countries and there are animated versions of it. i haven't seen it in so long i can't remember which one it might be. but it was good... i actually saw it before i read it.

*edit... i'm looking on netflix and they have many versions also....

theBeamisHome
06-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Ok i've checked it out and i think that the one i remember seeing was from the Faerie Tale Theatre in 1983.... i think...

Tiffany
06-26-2008, 11:07 AM
Interesting. Thanks for the info! The video place by our apartment sucks as far as older movies go but I'll bet I can find it at the used books/DVD's place nearby.

To keep on track:
I also loved Jumanji.

Arthur Heath
06-26-2008, 11:07 AM
Shel Silverstein - Where The Sidewalk Ends and Light In The Attic.
As an 'adult' I have grown extremely fond of The Giving Tree.

Brice
06-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Also by Silverstein....I absolutely love The Missing Piece. :wub:

John_and_Yoko
06-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Also by Silverstein....I absolutely love The Missing Piece. :wub:

How about The Missing Piece Meets the Big O? Shows you the other side....

Brice
06-28-2008, 01:24 PM
It was good. I like everything I've read by him actually. I prefer the first Missing Piece book though.

John_and_Yoko
06-28-2008, 01:30 PM
It was good. I like everything I've read by him actually. I prefer the first Missing Piece book though.

*shrugs* I read the second one first, myself, so.... :blush:

MonteGss
06-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Just got it on eBay. Not as good as I remember when I was little. :lol:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x77/Gunslinger_Pimp/Photo3.jpg

Brice
06-28-2008, 01:55 PM

*shrugs* I read the second one first, myself, so.... :blush:

I didn't read these as a kid. I read them all for the first time just a few years ago. :lol:

John_and_Yoko
06-28-2008, 02:03 PM
How'd you know I read them as a kid? I mean, I did, but I never specifically said I did....

Brice
06-28-2008, 02:09 PM
I didn't. I assumed. I certainly could have been wrong. It is however more common for people to read these sort of books as kids I think.

John_and_Yoko
06-28-2008, 02:23 PM
I didn't. I assumed. I certainly could have been wrong. It is however more common for people to read these sort of books as kids I think.

Heh...I knew that...of course...you were just assuming, and you guessed right....

<.<

>.>

Anyway, on topic:

"Uncle Wiggily and the Runaway Cheese"--there's a classic title I've never heard of....

Brice
06-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Nor have I.

Wuducynn
06-28-2008, 02:34 PM
The Chronicles of Narnia (TLWTW and The Magician's Nephew my favorites of the series)

The Dark is Rising Sequence (The Grey King and Silver in the Tree my favorites of the series)

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

Mikey in the Night Kitchen

The Velveteen Rabbit

Unfound One
06-28-2008, 04:39 PM
The Velveteen Rabbit was one of my favorites too. :)

John_and_Yoko
06-28-2008, 04:47 PM
The Velveteen Rabbit was one of my favorites too. :)

I need to read that, I haven't read the original.... :(

Matticus-Finch
07-11-2008, 09:35 AM
The Duck Who Loved Puddles was my obsession until I was 5. Still holds a place near and dear to my heart to this day.

That and Where the Sidewalk Ends by SHel Silverstein. Fantastic stuff!

Seymour_Glass
07-15-2008, 06:09 PM
I loved the Phantom tollbooth.
Animorphs.

and...

The Neverending Story was my favorite book for about three years.

I'll always remember the second movie where they changed Charles Conrad Coreander's initials to K. K. K. I was very upset. And also the movie sucked.

Rider_of_Discordia
07-15-2008, 06:21 PM
I discovered the Phantom Tollbooth as a kid with the animated movie, and only later found it was an amazing book. Right now its in the queue to read to my son. He is five years old and loves books. We are doing lots of Dahl at the moment. George's Marvelous Medicine, The Twits and Matilda. He is always delighted at the stupid adults in Roald Dahl's books.

My daughter keeps nagging me to read THE NEVERENDING STORY, I have watched the movie (which she also rates, though to a lesser extent) and loved that. Should really get around to reading it.

My favourite childhood books (and I still re-read them for personal pleasure now) are the Tove Jansson Moomin books. In particular COMET IN MOOMINLAND. I was captivated by Jansson's drawings ... so simple, but perfect.

Tiffany
07-16-2008, 08:06 AM
Forgot all about The Mouse and the Motorcycle.

obscurejude
07-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Forgot all about The Mouse and the Motorcycle.

I read all of those and enjoyed them thoroughly. Wasn't there at least 2, maybe 3?

Tiffany
07-16-2008, 08:11 AM
I think there were three of them but I'm 99% sure that I only read the one. Wasn't one Ralph something-or-other? Ralph the Mouse or something?

obscurejude
07-16-2008, 08:15 AM
I think there were three of them but I'm 99% sure that I only read the one. Wasn't one Ralph something-or-other? Ralph the Mouse or something?

I think we're the same age, its just been so long... Were they Beverly Cleary (sp) books? I went through that faze in second grade, so its been like 18 years. :lol:

obscurejude
07-16-2008, 08:16 AM
Ralph S. Mouse comes to mind, but I might just be crazy.

Tiffany
07-16-2008, 08:23 AM
:lol: YES! Ralph S. Mouse! And it was Beverly Cleary!!! I remember all the Ramona books. It's all coming back to me now.

Man, does forgetting this make you feel kinda old?

obscurejude
07-16-2008, 08:25 AM
Man, does forgetting this make you feel kinda old?

Yeah, it kinda does. :( :lol:

I read all the Ramona books and Superfudge as well as Dear Mr. Henshaw and some others. It is starting to come back.

Tiffany
07-16-2008, 08:29 AM
:o Superfudge! I forgot about that one, too.

obscurejude
07-16-2008, 08:36 AM
I just looked it up, and Superfudge is a Judy Blume book. I'm so confused.

Tiffany
07-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Aw crap. :unsure: Well, whoever wrote it, I still read it and loved it!

jayson
07-16-2008, 10:49 AM
I just looked it up, and Superfudge is a Judy Blume book. I'm so confused.

Indeed. It's a related story to Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing

Tiffany
07-16-2008, 10:59 AM
OH!!!

Sideways Stories from Wayside School. I LOVED that book. It was probably one of the first "chapter books" that I read numerous times in elementary. Wayside School is Falling Down was fun, too, but I think I liked the first one better.

Man, more and more books are coming back to me.

B Rag
07-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Hey, I loved the Wayside School books too! Now there's a cartoon based on them, but it's not as great.
I also had (and still have) this book called Pretzel, by Margaret Rey; it's about a dauchsund who grows up to be extremely long, and tries to win the heart of another dauchsund who doesn't care for long dogs. In the end, he saves her life, so they marry and have pups. It's pretty awesome.

Poisonbat
07-18-2008, 07:31 AM
For me, Rudyard Kipling's Just So Stories. My grandmother used to read them to me and use the best voices. How the Elephant Got His Trunk was my favorite. "Mear Smear Nose" I guess second would have to be the story "The Frog Prince" I don't know who wrote it, but here is the link to the story.
http://childhoodreading.com/Edmund_Dulac_and_Gus/Magic_Jewel.html

Hannah
07-18-2008, 07:41 AM
OH!!!

Sideways Stories from Wayside School. I LOVED that book. It was probably one of the first "chapter books" that I read numerous times in elementary. Wayside School is Falling Down was fun, too, but I think I liked the first one better.

I just saw this thread and was coming in here to mention those two books. I actually liked the second one better.

Some other books I loved: the Beverly Cleary books(sp?), anything by Shel Silverstein (especially where the sidewalk ends), Babysitters club, Judy Blume (especially Forever, read that thing over and over again because it had sexy parts), The Little Princess, The Little House on the Prairie (the whole damn series) ...

jhanic
07-18-2008, 09:14 AM
I'm lucky enough, because I tutor first grade reading at one of our urban schools, that I get to read a lot of the books again! The kids all seem to love the Dr. Suess books, and Strega Nona. And lots of others!

John

LadyHitchhiker
07-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Madaline L'Engle's Many waters was amazing... as were most of her books...

CPU
07-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Wow, so many good ones listed here! :clap:

The ones that were important to me as a young reader were:

Tom Swift Jr. (and his flying lab!)
Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators (Jupiter Jones FTW)
Encyclopedia Brown
Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising books
The Hardy Boys
John Christopher's "Tripod" books

As far as the S.E. Hinton books go, they are great but I didn't get exposed to them until I was around 12 or 13 and had moved to Tulsa, Ok where the books are set. It was cool to see the movies and see places that I'd actually been to :)

Heather19
07-20-2008, 11:23 AM
OH!!!

I forgot all about those.

Some other ones I enjoyed were The Secret Garden, and The Witches by Roald Dahl.

The Lady of Shadows
07-20-2008, 10:30 PM
oh. tales of a fourth grade nothing. superfudge. "eat it or wear it! eat it or wear it!" god, i loved that.

and cpu - love your new sig!!!!!!!!!!!! :excited:

BeDaN
08-28-2008, 06:30 AM
That Was Then, This Is Now

The Outsiders

Indian in the Cupboard

The Hatchet

The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

Also there's one I can't remember the name too but when I was younger I loved it, think it was "Where the Sidewalk Ends" or something like that.

TLC
08-28-2008, 08:31 AM
The Yearling, and Lassie!

Rjeso
08-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising series
The Ramona books
A Little Princess
The Cam Jensen series
Huck Finn
Richard Scarry when I was reeeeeally little
Pimm's Place
The Dark Crystal (read the book before I ever knew it was a movie)
The Silver Crown
Shel Silverstein's books
Encyclopedia Brown (high fives CPU)
Alex and the Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Day
A Dog Called Kitty
Where The Red Fern Grows
Maniac Magee
Bill Peet's books (also when I was really little)

jayson
08-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Blume's Ramona books

I loved the Ramona books too, though I believe they were written by Beverly Cleary.

Rjeso
08-28-2008, 11:30 AM
:doh: Good call, they were.

VastOne
08-28-2008, 11:44 AM
The Giving Tree

Tiffany
08-28-2008, 12:29 PM
I think it's awesome that so many of us that love Stephen King have read so many of the same books (generally speaking).

When I was quite a bit younger, I loved The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People's Ears: A West African Tale. The second one had illustrations that I couldn't get enough of.

I think they might have already been mentioned but The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash and Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs were also fun illustrations (and good little books!)

OH!!!

Miss Nelson is Missing!!!

jayson
08-28-2008, 12:34 PM
Anybody else ever read From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg? I loved that book. Brother and sister run away from home and live in a museum where adventure follows. Anyone? It won the Newberry Award, so somebody else must have read it.

Rjeso
08-28-2008, 01:03 PM
My old roommate used to talk about it all the time, she loved it. She knew she had a copy of it somewhere, but she still hasn't found it so I can read it, heh.

Heather19
08-28-2008, 04:44 PM

I used to love his books when I was really little. I remember we had this one that had a little bug on every single page. I can't even tell you how many times me and my sister would flip thru that book trying to be the first one to find that bug.

Anybody else ever read From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg? I loved that book. Brother and sister run away from home and live in a museum where adventure follows. Anyone? It won the Newberry Award, so somebody else must have read it.

I do remember the name of this book, and I'm almost 100% positive I read it, however I don't remember anything about it.

jayson
08-29-2008, 04:46 AM

I used to love his books when I was really little. I remember we had this one that had a little bug on every single page. I can't even tell you how many times me and my sister would flip thru that book trying to be the first one to find that bug.

Yes, Goldbug! I used to love finding him as well. I suppose he was our generation's Waldo.

theBeamisHome
08-29-2008, 05:09 AM
what about those books that taught manners? like how to share and be polite.. i had a few of those and when i was working in a daycare last summer they had some and it brought so many fond memories.

Tiffany
08-29-2008, 05:31 AM
Bear, Your Manners Are Showing.

Jean
08-29-2008, 06:08 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif
is there really something about bears? or was it only a figure of speech for the title?!

Rjeso
08-29-2008, 09:14 AM

Yes, Goldbug! I used to love finding him as well. I suppose he was our generation's Waldo.

Yep, I remember looking for Goldbug all the time.

I also remember looking for Waldo, though. :P

Rjeso
08-29-2008, 09:46 AM
what about those books that taught manners? like how to share and be polite.. i had a few of those and when i was working in a daycare last summer they had some and it brought so many fond memories.

I remember a set of books my grandma had by Joy Wilt Berry. It was called the Survival Series for kids, and it covered topics from manners to first aid to hygeine to how to get a good night's rest, etc. They were humorous, had fun illustrations, etc. I read them willingly. :)

The Lady of Shadows
08-29-2008, 02:29 PM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_shocked.gif
is there really something about bears? or was it only a figure of speech for the title?!

i tried to find an image of it. it's really about a mama bear trying to teach/reteach her baby bear manners.

Jean
08-29-2008, 11:05 PM
then Tiffany should totally add it to this list (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showpost.php?p=236440&postcount=425)! If she doesn't some time soon, I'll do it myself. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Ka-tet
08-30-2008, 01:50 AM
I enjoyed the tales of Brare Rabit, and The Animals Of Farthing Wood.

JiMiTHiNG
12-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Narnia series, Dark Rising series, Number the Stars by Lois Lowry, The Giver, Hatchet, A Wrinkle in Time series, John Christopher's Tripod series, and a ton more I can't think of right now.. :)

Unfound One
12-28-2008, 11:41 PM
A Wrinkle in Time series

Oh yes! I forgot about those books! We read the first one for English in 6th grade and I, being the huge book nerd that I am, went on to read the next three.
Actually, I should re-read them now that I would understand the "science" behind them a bit better. And I think there's five now?
Off to amazon.com...

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-29-2008, 12:04 AM
I read everything (I think) by Beverly Cleary, Judy Blume and Bill Wallace. I especially liked Trapped in Death Cave, and A dog called Kitty by Bill Wallace. I also enjoyed Where the Red Fern Grows and Old Yeller. Also favorites were Dr. Seuss and Shel Silverstein. Where the Sidewalk ends is the book I read the most to my 10 month old twin girls. Something about alliteration grabs their attention.

Iwritecode
12-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Peanuts AKA Charlie Brown books.
Berenstein Bears books
Beezus & Ramona books.
Golden books - I had a ton of these.
The "Soup" books by Robert Newton Peck. (Soup and Me, Soup for President)
Encyclopedia Brown books
The Secret Life of the Underwear Champ
Eating Ice Cream with a Werewolf.

What's funny is I still have most of these. I just introduced my middle daughter to the Beezus and Ramona line of books because she has to read a certain number of books each month for school and they are on her list of "approved" books.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-29-2008, 05:29 PM
I liked the Beezus and Ramona Books. The Henry and Ribsy books and the Mouse and the Motorcycle books were also good.

Rjeso
01-02-2009, 11:16 PM
I can't believe I forgot Calvin and Hobbes. All of them.

Also, I just found my copy of The Dark Is Rising, which was my favorite one out of the five books in the series. I totally read it over Christmas break when I was back home. :D

Lady_Macbeth
01-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Forgive me if this has been posted before but:

http://www.wusa9.com/news/columnist/blogs/uploaded_images/CLOUDY-739978.JPG

This book was SO cash. I must have demanded that it be read to me as a bedtime story at least over 9000 times. ^_^

Whitey Appleseed
01-03-2009, 04:53 PM
The Boxcar Children, 2nd grade, taught by Mrs. Burge, a gunslinger, missing two fingers from her right hand, some kind of sewing machine ate them...The Buffalo Knife...same age...and we had these books we called Little Big Books, a kind of comic in a small thick package, inch-thick, and I recall Space Ghost in one, maybe Johnny Quest in another...don't see them anymore...maybe on E-bay...they were little, maybe 4x5 and thick, comic-style.

Iwritecode
01-06-2009, 10:54 AM

Good call. I would've mentioned them but I discovered C&H later in life.

jayson
01-06-2009, 11:00 AM

Good call. I would've mentioned them but I discovered C&H later in life.

I associate it with my teens. Still good though. I loved Calvin & Hobbes. Bloom County too while we're on the subject of comic strips from that era.

Emily
01-18-2009, 12:39 PM
I also loved Calvin and Hobbes but didn't appreciate the humor until my teens.
My favorite book as a child was The Grand Escape by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. It's about two house cats who escape and explore the world. I was obsessed with it when I read it int he 4th grade, in fact I doubt I would love adventure books as much as I do now if I hadn't read it then.

theyspunaweb
01-19-2009, 04:10 PM
I liked the Hobbit and the The Jack Henry Books by Jack Gantos
also Running Out of Time by Margaret Peterson Haddix

I probably read all of the Goosebumps that came out for a couple of years on end...I'm sure they're still out in my garage somewhere...

Jackie
01-26-2009, 07:19 PM
My favorite Dr. Seuss book was always:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51HYXRC105L.jpg

and I also loved:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51AEV4P4G5L._SL500_.jpg

I still have and read both every once in a while :D

ClicheGuevara
02-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Silver crown

Maniac Magee

Sideways stories from wayside school

edit: I forgot about the giver!

necromanticize
02-03-2009, 11:01 PM
Where the Wild Things Are :]
That was the very first book I learned to read.
I also really loved these historical diaries about girls from different eras... as well as American Girl books and anything scary I could get my hands on. I read a whole lot when I was younger, so I can't remember everything. I read a lot of Babysitter's Club as well. There were a lot of series I was into... Little House on the Prairie...Nancy Drew... I was quite the reader as a kid.

college_ewok
02-04-2009, 05:38 AM
I read all of the goose bumps books too.

fernandito
02-04-2009, 05:53 AM
Goosebumps is what got me into reading :wub:

college_ewok
02-04-2009, 07:03 AM
Goosebumps is what got me into reading :wub:

Same here. I never really read until I read one of the goosebumps books, then I couldn't stop reading.

Merlin1958
02-04-2009, 08:59 AM
When I was in the "tween" age, I really dug The Hardy Boys.

Ditto

valtr0n
02-04-2009, 09:02 AM
When I was really little, my favorite book was Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby. It's a completely racist book, but when I was little I thought it was the bomb.

I started reading The Gunslinger when I was 12 or 13, so that'd probably have been my favorite "adolescent" book.

Rjeso
02-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Dude, I forgot Little House on the Prairie. I read those until they were taken away from me because I was "too old" to read them. I was, like, 15. <_<

theBeamisHome
02-05-2009, 06:36 PM
anyone read The Boxcar Children?? i loooved those. were they mentioned yet?

Brice
02-06-2009, 07:46 AM
I read many of them as a kid.

CRinVA
02-06-2009, 10:17 AM
I remember getting excited when our Scholastic book orders came in back in the 4th grade. I devoured the Encyclopedia Brown books. They were about this kid that solved mysteries!

I just googled and there were thousands of hits for these books! Brings back some memories from about 1963 - that was the year they started I think! :-)

ClicheGuevara
02-06-2009, 01:38 PM
I remember Encyclopedia Brown. . use to read those and Choose your own adventure.

candy
02-22-2009, 07:49 AM
i loved the narnia series.
mrs pepperpots adventures
also a book about a magic tree, i think i was called 'the magic faraway tree' not 100% sure but it has a man with lots of pan????
famous five
secret seven
lots more that i cant remember

idk, my bff jill?
02-22-2009, 08:52 AM
My favorite childhood book:

http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd334/POW-lah/Stuff/Nacho.jpg

It taught me how to read.

Munchausen
04-03-2009, 08:11 AM
Well the first book I read cover to cover was The Enormous Egg. Forgot the author but it's about a chicken that lays a dinosaur egg.
My fave though is Revolt in 2100 by Robert A. Heinlein.

sleeplessdwarf
04-03-2009, 08:56 AM
I remember getting excited when our Scholastic book orders came in back in the 4th grade. I devoured the Encyclopedia Brown books. They were about this kid that solved mysteries!

I just googled and there were thousands of hits for these books! Brings back some memories from about 1963 - that was the year they started I think! :-)

OMG, Encyclopedia Brown! And as stated above also Choose your own adventure books. I was obsessed with these book. I believe my only other serious reads were Chronicles of Narnia at that age.

Woofer
04-03-2009, 10:30 AM
Did I mention Ribsy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ribsy)?

http://www.vidadesign.biz/auctions/Ribsy2.jpg

And Socks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socks_(Beverly_Cleary))?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/fe/Sockscleary.jpg/200px-Sockscleary.jpg

I also had the grim Grimm's Fairy Tales with the dark endings that are omitted from the scrubbed clean versions you see today.

Then pretty much anything by Edgar Rice Burroughs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edgar_Rice_Burroughs).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3c/Gods_of_Mars.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/10/At_the_earths_core.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4e/The_Outlaw_of_Torn.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/da/Tanar_of_Pellucidar.jpg

And, of course, these:

Alfred Hitchcock's Anthology
Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Stories to be Read with the Door Locked
Alfred Hitchcock's Monster Museum
Alfred Hitchcock's Supernatural Tales of Terror and Suspense
Alfred Hitchcock's Spellbinders in Suspense
Alfred Hitchcock's Witch's Brew
Alfred Hitchcock's Ghostly Gallery
Alfred Hitchcock's A Hangman's Dozen
Alfred Hitchcock's Haunted Houseful

Although Alfred Hitchcock didn't really have anything to do with these other than getting a check for allowing them to use his name, the stories inside still kicked ass.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51gfOPXlbZL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

And these guys:
http://ftp.fortunaty.net/com/sacred-texts/nec/hpl/hpl.jpg http://www.bc.edu/schools/cas/english/meta-elements/jpg/Poe.jpg

I know there are loads more...

Woofer
04-03-2009, 10:33 AM
I forgot to add the Bunnicula (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunnicula) books which should have been in existence when I was a child but were not.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j230/Elmozilla/Bunnicula.jpg

sarajean
04-03-2009, 10:39 AM
the half magic books by edward eager
the pippi books by astrid lindgren
the great brain books by john dennis fitzgerald
the phantom tollbooth by norman juster

dotKay
04-03-2009, 11:43 AM
The knight in rusty armor by Robert Fisher

jayson
04-03-2009, 12:01 PM

Best book ever. Well, maybe not best, but certainly the book I read the most as a little kid. I credit that and the Hobbit with my love of reading.

DoctorDodge
04-04-2009, 05:39 AM
I read quite a few goosebumps books when i was little. Books that really stuck out though were the Fighting Fantasy gamebooks: I LOVED those books! Nothing beated fighting monsters with a pencil and dice!

Hmm, I can imagine Doctor Who doing the exact same thing right now, haha! Speaking of which, I also read quite a few Target novelisations of Doctor Who stories back in my primary school days, especially when I couldn't find the stories on video! Actually, I read quite a few adult Who books, too! Oh, happy days, when my fandom knew no bounds!

Still doesn't actually, hahaha! :D

razz
06-01-2009, 07:17 PM
i think i may actually have a copy of this still somewhere:

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/98/07/d2d2224b9da04ba69fc6c010.L._AA240_.jpg

Brice
06-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Woofer, didn't Hitch write the intros for at least some of those books? :unsure:

<ô> bango skank <ô>
06-01-2009, 08:03 PM
Candy mentioned the faraway tree books. (would of quoted at this point but still aint figuered it out.) Those books are one of my earliest memories. My mam reading them to me at bedtime. cant remember much about them now, am going to have to track a copy down. all i remember is a bloke called moonface and that might not even be correct. is this an enid blyton*book?

thanks candy, for reminding me of this. am happy with memories.
got a little smile on my face
:)

Once i was old enough to read myself, it was point horror books for me. after the age of 14 or so i never read a horror book again until i'd read the DT books, which turned me towards the Wordslinger.

Special word to the Carpet People by Pratchett. i loved that book and still do.

Sam
06-01-2009, 08:50 PM
One of my favorite books as a child is Little Fox Goes to the End of the World by Ann Tompert.

Lily-sai
06-03-2009, 04:22 PM
The Carbonel series was one of my absolute favorites and still is.

http://logan.com/loganberry/solved-carbonel.jpg

And this, The Starlight Barking, left a profound effect on me, for some reason.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/furry/images/thumb/2/2f/TheStarlightBarking.JPG/180px-TheStarlightBarking.JPG

Look familiar, anyone? *hopeful eyes*

Seymour_Glass
06-03-2009, 05:46 PM
I forgot to add the Bunnicula (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunnicula) books which should have been in existence when I was a child but were not.

YES!!! I LOVED those books!

razz
06-04-2009, 08:58 PM

YES!!! I LOVED those books!It's funny how i forgot all about great books like Bunnicula, yet I still remember sickeningly pathetic books such as those by RL Stine.

Seymour_Glass
06-05-2009, 02:39 PM
I never read any R/L. Stine. :P

sarajean
06-05-2009, 04:32 PM

why don't i believe this?

candy
06-06-2009, 06:44 AM
Candy mentioned the faraway tree books. (would of quoted at this point but still aint figuered it out.) Those books are one of my earliest memories. My mam reading them to me at bedtime. cant remember much about them now, am going to have to track a copy down. all i remember is a bloke called moonface and that might not even be correct. is this an enid blyton*book?

thanks candy, for reminding me of this. am happy with memories.
got a little smile on my face
:)

Once i was old enough to read myself, it was point horror books for me. after the age of 14 or so i never read a horror book again until i'd read the DT books, which turned me towards the Wordslinger.

Special word to the Carpet People by Pratchett. i loved that book and still do.

my pleasure:huglove:

now see that grey button down there __________________________________________________ _____-round about here

press the quote button and it will quote the peice for you. #
if you want to do more than one press the multi quote on each one
you want to quote

pathoftheturtle
06-06-2009, 07:08 AM
the half magic books by edward eager
:thumbsup::wub:

the pippi books by astrid lindgren
the great brain books by john dennis fitzgerald
the phantom tollbooth by norman justerAll more great choices!:excited:

Also,
the Old Yeller books
and The Bears of Blue River.

jayson
06-06-2009, 02:17 PM

not only is that my favorite book from childhood, i just found out earlier this week that norton juster's birthday is the same day as ella's. :D

Arthur Heath
06-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Shel Silverstein - The Giving Tree

This is my absolute favorite 'Childhood' book and was the first book I bought for Jayce. I read it to him while in utero.

ladykatherine
06-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Ooooh! definitely Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech, Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell, and the unfinished Abarat series by Clive Barker (though I guess this is more young adult I suppose). All very good. Mainly about growing up, rites of passage, etc. I found Island of the Blue Dolphins a few weeks ago and I still cried during it, wow haha.

pathoftheturtle
06-10-2009, 07:08 AM
Let's not forget the fairy tales.
Oscar Wilde did some excellent ones.
Beatrix Potter,
Hans Christian Andersen.
Collections by Charles Perrault,
and the Brothers Grimm.
There are some nice retellings for kids of Scherezade's 1001 Nights available.
And, if your child doesn't have a copy of Aesop's fables, well, what are you waiting for?

I guess the real classics go without saying, but here are a few others for the record:
Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
Heidi by Johanna Spyri
Doctor Doolittle by Hugh Lofting
The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

And here's a few more of the great in lesser known/more contemporary:
Up there with the Boxcar Children is The Saturdays by Elizabeth Enright
The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander
The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (worth repeating)
The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
Interstellar Pig by William Sleator
Have Space Suit, Will Travel by Robert Heinlein
The Tripods by John Christoper

Also, I think that Jules Verne is good for children. Or even H.G. Wells.
(Now you all know how I got to be a SciFi nerd. lol )

jhanic
06-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Almolst any of Heinlein's juvenile novels are all great. Have Spacesuit, Will Travel is just one of many.

John

sarajean
06-10-2009, 08:02 AM
The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
Interstellar Pig by William Sleator

i just re-read both of these a few years ago.

and you reminded me that i was also really into zilpha keatley snyder. i can't tell you how, but that post just knocked something loose in my memory. so thank you. :couple:

i think i need to find a copy of the egypt game for drake.

pathoftheturtle
06-11-2009, 07:24 AM
...i can't tell you how, but that post just knocked something loose in my memory. so thank you. :couple:
...np. :)
I just edited that post to add a couple that I really should not have forgotten, so maybe you should have another look. Just, please, don't blame me if your next memory should happen to be an unpleasant one. ;)

Almolst any of Heinlein's juvenile novels are all great. Have Spacesuit, Will Travel is just one of many.

JohnWell, maybe I'm not such a big nerd after all.
:lol:
In general, I'm frankly not Heinlein's biggest fan. He's definitely a good writer, I just don't always like his thinking. I would like to hear about your favorites, though. :)

I could go on and on... as I'm sure that this thread will. Sometimes I think that there's more good literature for kids than there is for adults. Certainly seems to be true of film.:orely:

Another interesting case; the Henry Reed, Inc. books, from author Keith Robertson. I truly enjoyed these as a boy, although I really wasn't very much like the protagonist. My oldest son is, though. ><

razz
06-11-2009, 07:40 AM
I had a teacher who thought his writings were the pinnacle of literature :sick:

pathoftheturtle
06-13-2009, 07:04 AM
:doh: Mark Twain's The Prince and The Pauper.
I don't know why I always forget that one; definitely one of my favorites.

Also:
Archer's Goon by Diana Wynne Jones. :wub:

One of my father's favorite childhood books is Follow My Leader by James B. Garfield. It's another very good one. :)

jhanic
06-13-2009, 08:04 AM
When I was a kid (lo these many years ago!) I loved the Rick Brant Boy Scientist book series. I had every one of these. They're long gone now, though.

John

sarajean
06-13-2009, 08:41 AM
my great grandmother had a copy of little black sambo that i read to pieces. :ninja:

Frunobulax
06-13-2009, 11:39 AM
My favorite book from childhood is the Necronomicon.

sarajean
06-13-2009, 02:14 PM
that explains so much.

ola
06-13-2009, 11:39 PM
The Redwall series!!

Then it was the Dark is Rising sequence (Susan Cooper), plus a bunch of weird little books by Alan Garner. In particular I remember "The Owl Service" being hypnotic and creepy as a kid.

"The Once and Future King" by TH White was another book that stayed with me a long time, it's such a perfect progression from innocent kids story to some heavy drama/betrayal/etc.

alinda
06-14-2009, 01:13 AM
my great grandmother had a copy of little black sambo that i read to pieces. :ninja:

I read this story many times as well, good one. :D

Lily-sai
06-14-2009, 08:00 AM
The Redwall series!!

Then it was the Dark is Rising sequence (Susan Cooper), plus a bunch of weird little books by Alan Garner. In particular I remember "The Owl Service" being hypnotic and creepy as a kid.

"The Once and Future King" by TH White was another book that stayed with me a long time, it's such a perfect progression from innocent kids story to some heavy drama/betrayal/etc.

No way! I have strange memories of Alan Garner's books, too. I don't know if I loved or feared them. I especially remember Elidor and the song of a dying unicorn.

You can imagine my shock when I just checked Elidor out in Wiki.

Elidor begins with an epigraph quoting from William Shakespeare's King Lear:

"Childe Rowland to the Dark Tower came - " KING LEAR, act iii, sc. 4

This is an allusion to the English folktale of Childe Rowland, from which several elements of the plot of Elidor are drawn. Childe Rowland features the eponymous Rowland, his two brothers, and his sister Burd Ellen. Rowland kicks a ball over a church and when Burd Ellen attempts to retrieve it she disappears. Rowland's brothers then leave to find her but they do not return, leaving Rowland to rescue his siblings. Later Rowland must command a door to open in a hillside, wherein he finds Burd Ellen under a spell.

Woah! I've found one more new level of the Tower.

ola
06-14-2009, 11:03 AM
No way! I have strange memories of Alan Garner's books, too. I don't know if I loved or feared them. I especially remember Elidor and the song of a dying unicorn.

Nice! I'm glad there's someone out there that's had a similar experience..

Elidor begins with an epigraph quoting from William Shakespeare's King Lear:

"Childe Rowland to the Dark Tower came - " KING LEAR, act iii, sc. 4

Wow!! :o I wonder if my library still has the old copy I read.

Jean
06-16-2009, 05:12 AM
:doh: Mark Twain's The Prince and The Pauper.
I don't know why I always forget that one; definitely one of my favorites.

mine too! mine too!

that explains so much.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gif

razz
06-16-2009, 05:17 AM
do you still have a copy? Mine got destroyed when i accidentally summoned a Mi-Go

Spacker
06-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Marianne Dreams - by Catherine Storr. My daughter loved it too :)

razz
07-03-2009, 07:03 PM
this
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/64/Thehalloweentree.gif

Brice
07-04-2009, 04:42 AM
Oh, that's a great one, razz! :)

EvaH
07-24-2009, 08:28 PM
I love Ray Bradbury. The Martian Chronicles was the first one I read, I think I was already in my teens. As a child I liked Beverley Cleary's books, Madeleine L'Engle's A wrinkle in time and Gary Paulsen's Hatchet.

razz
07-24-2009, 09:12 PM
I actually read it still. You know, once every few years...

oooh Hatchet was nice

Odetta
07-24-2009, 09:39 PM
anyone else love the Choose Your Own Adventure books?

pathoftheturtle
07-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Lois Duncan

weezy
07-29-2009, 07:02 AM
The Wizard of Oz, I read this in one night when I was about 9/10 years old on the recommendation of my teacher and it was the start of my love of reading.

I always cheated at the Choose Your Own Adventure Books....

Brice
07-29-2009, 07:11 AM
I actually read it still. You know, once every few years...

oooh Hatchet was nice

It's been a few years since I read it myself, I think.

anyone else love the Choose Your Own Adventure books? I read alot of them when I was young. I loved them.

ola
07-30-2009, 11:53 PM
anyone else love the Choose Your Own Adventure books?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/roxybebop/6a00d8345169e469e200e54f20fe298833-.jpg

Brice
07-31-2009, 12:07 AM
:wtf:

Ka-tet
08-02-2009, 12:02 PM
The Tales Of Brare Rabit, i use to love that guy XD

pathoftheturtle
08-17-2009, 05:58 AM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/roxybebop/6a00d8345169e469e200e54f20fe298833-.jpg
The Miracle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf0VxuFK0CM

How very special are we
For just a moment to be
Part of life's eternal rhyme

How very special are we
To have on our family tree
Mother Earth and Father Time

sai delgado
08-20-2009, 03:28 AM
I was always reading as a young 'un but from an early age my favourites were books like Peter Rabbit and other stories by Beatrix Potter. I also liked Aesops' fables, Enid Blytons' fantasy stories like A Book of Brownies and The Faraway Tree, oh and Roald Dahl of course-I used to love Fantastic Mr Fox!
Once I got to about 10 years old I was Harry Potter mad and I discovered The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman were favourites too.

My childhood was just full of favourites! :P

pathoftheturtle
08-20-2009, 08:04 AM
The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

Melike
08-24-2009, 06:20 AM
'The Little Match Girl' and 'The Steadfast Tin Soldier' from Hans Christian Andersen's Fairy Tales.
The Little Prince.
Wizard of Oz.

mystima
08-24-2009, 04:30 PM
my favorite story as a child was from the little golden books that they had and still do was called "The Monster at the End of This Book" it was a story that had Grover from sesame street. when i had my daughter i looked for that book at the bookstores in the AFFES on the base in Germany and found it and its sequel with Elmo...hehe:P

ola
08-24-2009, 05:19 PM
my favorite story as a child was from the little golden books that they had and still do was called "The Monster at the End of This Book" it was a story that had Grover from sesame street. when i had my daughter i looked for that book at the bookstores in the AFFES on the base in Germany and found it and its sequel with Elmo...hehe:P

I had that and "Grover and the Everything in the Whole Wide World Museum," plus probably anything Sesame Street ever printed up until I was 10.

I remember this page especially well from the museum one:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_0tA5dmNlUGY/SXY9KEO691I/AAAAAAAADIY/maqxHumJElc/s400/groverrroom.jpg

pathoftheturtle
10-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott

George MacDonald a nice collection

jayson
10-07-2009, 05:59 PM

i checked that one out of the school library over and over and over again

Jean
10-08-2009, 01:34 AM

i checked that one out of the school library over and over and over again
So did I - in Russian; now I have my own copy - in English http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_happy.gif

Lily-sai
10-08-2009, 01:56 AM
I tried to read War and Peace when I was six. My grandparents had a library room and it happened to be on the same level as my nose, so I took it.

Sadly, I have to tell that I couldn't finish it..

pathoftheturtle
10-09-2009, 08:32 AM
No wonder. Not a "childhood" book by any means.
Now, though, might be a very good time for you to try again. :)

aliensatemybrain
07-18-2010, 06:56 AM
My favourite childhood books was Alexander Lloyds 'The Chronicles of Prydain' series. I think there was even a movie based on one of the books 'The Black Cauldron' although i've never seen it. As a matter of fact i've never read the last book in the series either so im still to find out what became of Taran and his troop, it might time to scour ebay for it :)

Other than that I enjoyed the Hardy Boys series and the point horror series and also Nicobobinus by Terry Jones that was an interesting read.

Bethany
07-24-2010, 08:57 AM
I tried to read War and Peace when I was six. My grandparents had a library room and it happened to be on the same level as my nose, so I took it.

Sadly, I have to tell that I couldn't finish it..

There are only two books in my entire reading history that I have not been able to finish...War and Peace was one. I can't remember the name of the other one but it was a piece of tripe by some chick that claimed to have a near death experience and had personal, one on one conversations with God as a result.

Did anyone else read the Spell Singer books by Alan Dean Foster?

Brice
07-24-2010, 09:08 AM
Was it a Shirley MaClain (sp?) book? :lol:

Bethany
07-24-2010, 09:29 AM
No. She was just some vapid housewife.

lophophoras
07-25-2010, 04:19 AM
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

:thumbsup:

pathoftheturtle
07-25-2010, 08:45 AM
My favourite childhood books was Alexander Lloyds 'The Chronicles of Prydain' series. I think there was even a movie based on one of the books 'The Black Cauldron' although i've never seen it. ...Not quite as bad as its reputation. First Disney animated feature to employ computer-generated imagery, it marked a rather awkward period in that company's history. 12 years in the making, The Black Cauldron cost $25 million to produce, but grossed only $21 million at the North American box office when finally released in 1985.
Looking back, it's really a better quality film than such time-wasters as Warner Bros.'s Quest for Camelot, but still a disappointment for fans of Lloyd's books, and an actual trial for viewers 12 or younger.

Erin
11-03-2011, 08:42 AM
I was just thinking earlier about how much I loved the "Choose Your Own Adventure" series. I was obsessed with those things and used to check them out of the library religiously. Also, I would read them and purposefully try to choose the wrong decision so I could die the most violent, terrible death in the book. :lol:

I think I was a morbid child. No wonder I quickly focused my energy on Stephen King next.