PDA

View Full Version : Make me read books

Letti
05-20-2007, 11:04 AM
I do love reading and I read as much as I can if I am not exhausted like hell.
Here I would like you to write about the books you love a lot and which mean a lot to you and which could mean a lot to the others as well.
Please try to avoid the spoilers but try to write down what that book meant to you and why it's worth reading it.
So next time when I go to a bookshop I would like to spend there my whole salary because you told me so many amazing books. :lol:

(I know there are many threads where we are talking about our favourite books but we don't talk about the details.)

Guys, make me read tons of books!

Let me start it.

Here is one of my forever favourites but it's not popular at all.

Fatu Hiva - Back to the Nature by Thor Heyerdahl
http://www.natale.to/libri/libro34.jpg

It's an amazing book about a man who tried to find the Paradise with his love on a little island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.
I learnt so much from this book. Now I have pics of my head about my dreams.. when I was reading this book I felt if I really want I can catch them.
I learnt that we can run we can escape but it can make us blind and selfish.
This book made me realise that we can run but it's in us we would like to get rid of.

But it's me. I am sure others learn and feel other things.

Here is a pic of Fatu Hiva the island which still exists and only 584 people are living there.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/LPIPOD04/BN6727_27~Boats-Moored-at-the-Bay-of-Virgins-Fatu-Hiva-Island-Marquesas-The-French-Polynesia-Posters.jpg

And here is a pic where Thor and his wife:

http://www.kon-tiki.no/Ny/Images/Thor_in_FatuHiva.jpg

Could they find the Paradise and could they escape from their past and future to a perfect world?
Or did they fail?
I don't want to answer and I can't answer, either.
If any of you will read it let me know. :rose:

OchrisO
05-20-2007, 12:32 PM
American Gods by Neil Gaiman is my favorite book. I have read it around 5 times. The central idea of the book is that faith creates and powers gods, and that people immigrated to the United States and brought their gods with them, but then forgot about thgem, and they were left in America with hardly any followers and as a result, hardly any power. The story follows a character named Shadow who is released from prison and travels home to see his wife, and everything goes wrong. It is really an amazing book, especially if you have any interest in mythology. It also has the bonus of having been translated into Hungarian, so you should check it out. :)

sarajean
05-20-2007, 01:08 PM
American Gods by Neil Gaiman is my favorite book. I have read it around 5 times. The central idea of the book is that faith creates and powers gods, and that people immigrated to the United States and brought their gods with them, but then forgot about thgem, and they were left in America with hardly any followers and as a result, hardly any power. The story follows a character named Shadow who is released from prison and travels home to see his wife, and everything goes wrong. It is really an amazing book, especially if you have any interest in mythology. It also has the bonus of having been translated into Hungarian, so you should check it out. :)

pretty much any neil gaiman is a sure thing.

John Blaze
05-20-2007, 11:32 PM
ok, there are two series that, although the books on their own aren't on my favorites, the series are.

These are the most important books on this thread. Read these FIRST! (pisses you other guys off, doesn't it? :P)

First, there's this author named Tamora Pierce. She writes alot of different books, but has a series based in a mystical land called Tortall. READ THESE BOOKS. TRUST ME, YOU WILL LOVE THEM. They are about the lives of certain young women as they mature in a feudalistic society. Meaning Knights and chivalry and all that other stuff I know you love.

Start with

The Song of the Lioness series. (4 books)
The story of Alanna.

Then,

The Immortals series ( 4 books)
the story of Diane, a Wild-Mage

also,
The Protector of the Small series (you guessed it, 4 books)
The Story of Keladry (which is a name we almost named our daughter, because I love it) who is a noble girl who doesn't want to be a lady-in-waiting and decides to train as a Knight. I think this one was my favorite series of the 3, but it was a close thing.

The funny thing is, I discovered there thru my little sister, and they are aimed at the young teen audience. Mrs. Pierce also has the Circle Universe
books, centered around the lives of four young mages who become friends. These are also worth reading, and up there on my list. But the Tortall books are first. Oh, there's also newer Tortall books, but you can find those online and catch up, I need to read Terrier to be up to the limit on those.
In many ways, I believe Mrs Pierce to be a much better storyteller than Mrs. Rowling.

OK, second series,

The Dragonrider's of Pern series.

Look up Dragonrider's of Pern on wikipedia, and it will give you a reading order.

they go back and forth, so it's complicated.

ZoNeSeeK
05-21-2007, 12:30 AM
Could they find the Paradise and could they escape from their past and future to a perfect world?
Or did they fail?
I don't want to answer and I can't answer, either.

Letti, have you seen a movie called The Mosquito Coast ? I don't know if its related to Fatu-Hiva, but the central theme is essentially the same. You may enjoy it!

Darkthoughts
05-21-2007, 01:54 AM
I have tons of recommendations!

If you liked Eyes of the Dragon then check out Stardust by Neil Gaiman, another twisted fairy tale - then if you like that read American Gods and Anansi Boys...heck just go out and buy the Sandman graphic novels too because Gaiman deserves your attention!

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is another great book about magic and the realm of faery, but in quite a Dickensian style. Its author, Susannah Clarke, was sort of mentored by Gaiman before she got published.

Code 61 is a really original, uncliched and quite brilliant twist on vampires. Its by Donald Harstad and as far removed from Anne Rice as you can go.

Also The Kiss of the Spiderwoman by Manuel Puig. Its actually a screenplay, but you can read it so easily you wouldn't notice. I found this story so moving, I totally recommend it. Likewise, A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving...not a screenplay but a very moving story. I'm a big Irving fan and this is one of my favourites.

Theres loads more, but thats quite enough for now I'm sure :D

Jean
05-21-2007, 02:15 AM
Nikolett,

you said you didn't read a lot as a child, so you may have missed some really great books, the ones nobody thought of yet just because the people who have already posted - probably - considered them too obvious, rather part of childhood, teenagerhood, growing up than books per se. How about

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain

To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee

Treasure Island, by R.L.Stevenson

Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte

I really don't think a life can be full without any of these.

Brice
05-21-2007, 07:28 AM

I have read it. It's a wonderful book. :)

Rjeso
05-21-2007, 07:51 AM
Try Judith Tarr's The Hound and the Falcon trilogy, comprised of Isle of Glass, The Golden Horn, and The Hounds of God. I mentioned this series in the Historical Fiction thread, because the events in the book center around the time of the Crusades, the raid on Constantinople, the taking of the Holy Sepulcher, and the like.

Anyway, I love this series because it deals with nature versus nurture in that a member of the Fair Folk was abandoned, then found and raised by a Catholic abbey. He is a devout monk and loves his faith, but knows what he is and that by the very law of his religion, he should not suffer himself to live. He goes through a huge inner struggle, one that is not helped at all by meeting members of his own kind. The weaving of this fairytale kind of being around very harsh historical settings is wonderfully done. I love all of Tarr's books, but these are by far my favorite.

Letti
05-21-2007, 09:28 AM
Guys you rock. Thank you. Now I know where to put my salary.
Jean I have read Jane Eyre as a child and I was in love with it so much. I couldn't put it down. I don't know why I didn't read more at that time if I could enjoy some books so much..

Letti
05-21-2007, 09:28 AM

I have read it. It's a wonderful book. :)

I know. I know. :couple:

Jean
05-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Jean I have read Jane Eyre as a child and I was in love with it so much. I couldn't put it down. I don't know why I didn't read more at that time if I could enjoy some books so much..
Yes, darling, so you see what I mean! They are all soul-forming books. I wish you would read all of them, and soon! :rose:

Letti
05-21-2007, 09:48 AM
Yes, darling, so you see what I mean! They are all soul-forming books. I wish you would read all of them, and soon! :rose:

Oh dear believe me I wish I could read as much as I'd love to.

John Blaze
05-21-2007, 01:26 PM
What Jean said got me to thinking, have you read the book The Bridge to Terabithia? how about Island of the Blue Dolphins? Banner in the Sky?

Telynn
05-21-2007, 03:30 PM
If you are in the mood for somthing light, easy and humorous, there is a series by Robert Aspirin. The Myth series. I think the first one is called Another Fine Myth. Each book is pretty short, so they are fast reads. But fun!

ZoNeSeeK
05-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is another great book about magic and the realm of faery, but in quite a Dickensian style. Its author, Susannah Clarke, was sort of mentored by Gaiman before she got published.

My fiance is reading that at the moment, she says its very good :)

Darkthoughts
05-22-2007, 01:46 AM
^It is! If she enjoys it theres another book of short, but interlinking faerie stories, Susannah Clarke has written called The Ladies of Grace Adieu.

ManOfWesternesse
05-22-2007, 05:21 AM
For a really good Fantasy series, read Stephen Donaldson's 'Chronicles of Thomas Covenant'.
Be prepared for a loooong read if you do. ('First Chronicles' of 3 books + 'Second Chronicles' of 3 books + 'Last Chronicles' - so far 1 published of a planned 4 books). Extremely good fantasy tale of a modern-day American who contracts Leprosy and is transported to another world/dimension.

For a good Historical Fiction read try Leon Uris' "Exodus" or "Trinity" - this guy was a hell of a writer.
Exodus being based on the Jewish question and resettlement of the new State of Israel.
Trinity being a very well researched tale around the 'Irish Problem' (as the English referred to it:P ).

Matt
05-22-2007, 11:23 AM
I am going to have to give that first series a look see. Sounds really interesting.

Telynn
05-22-2007, 05:57 PM
Oh, yeah. Thomas Covanent The Unbeliever is :thumbsup: stuff.

OchrisO
05-22-2007, 11:58 PM

pretty much any neil gaiman is a sure thing.

:high5:

I totally wish there was a high5 smiley.

OchrisO
05-22-2007, 11:59 PM
I like anti-heroes, but Thomas Covenant is a little anti-hero for even my tastes.

Darkthoughts
05-23-2007, 01:34 AM
Talking of anti-heroes, Alan Moore's Watchmen and V for Vendetta are a must...just don't mention that film :lol:

ManOfWesternesse
05-23-2007, 04:16 AM
I like anti-heroes, but Thomas Covenant is a little anti-hero for even my tastes.

I love those books.
Covenant is a hell of a twisted character in certain ways, but he's one of my favourite ever characters in any book / series.
And the wealth of what Donaldson created in this series is a match for pretty much any invented world.
- The Lord's themselves... such power and humility combined....
- The Bloodguard... 'service' defined...
- The Ranyhyn (see sig!) ... noblest horseflesh ever created in fantasy...
- The sandgorgons.... The Giants.... The Ramen.... the ordinary Stonedowners and Woodhelvenin of the land... The Waynhim..
- And then there's Lord Foul his bad self...

Damn, I'm in a mood for another re-read:thumbsup:

Rjeso
05-23-2007, 05:47 AM
The Ramen....

Mmm, ramen.

Darkthoughts
05-23-2007, 09:48 AM
:rofl:

John Blaze
05-23-2007, 09:41 PM
did someone say Ramen Noodles? Someone finally wrote a book about my favorite food? YAY! :D

ManOfWesternesse
05-24-2007, 04:52 AM
Obviously, being on the wrong right side of the pond, I'm missing this wordplay on 'Ramen' :unsure:

Anyway, having finished a book last night (see below) & perusing my shelves for the next victim, I picked up the first book (Lord Foul's Bane) from the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever series. Another re-read begins. This will keep me going for quite a while!

Now, Letti - new recommendation. The book I finished last night should be a must-read in everyone's near-future (those who haven't made the happy discovery already). It's a post-apocolyptic (sp?) tale. One of the bleakest stories I've ever read - and it's amazingly good.
It's Cormac McCarthy's - The Road.

Rjeso
05-24-2007, 05:46 AM
Heh, ramen noodles are also known as 3-Minute Noodles, I believe.

John Blaze
05-24-2007, 10:21 PM
you just didnt go to college during my era, MOW. I ate nothing but ramen noodles and mac and cheese for 4 years. add some beans and rice to that.

Bethany
05-25-2007, 03:39 AM
Jean--Even though I know it is a very popular book it still tickeld me to death to see someone in Russia recommend To Kill A Mockingbird. I have always loved that book and of course, the whole Alabama thing makes it almost a sacred piece of literature here. There is a live production of the book in Harper Lee's hometown that is staged throughout the town instead of in a theater. When the girls get a little older, we are definitely going.

Jean
05-25-2007, 09:23 AM
it is definitely one of those books I would call soul-shaping. I read it first when I was about 6 years old, then re-read every - approximately - two years, understanding more and more (though probably I understood the main things even at 6 years old, with my heart rather than mind; that's how them really great books work). Luckily, the soviet school of translation was really great (I could fully appreciate it when I finally read the original, some ten years ago... for the first time, but not the last)

kithereal
05-29-2007, 11:40 AM
The Ramen....

Mmm, ramen.

My son would live on Ramen If I did not intervine.
I once watched in horror as he poured a packet of Ramen seasoning in his mouth ..incidently this was right before an important cross country race and it was beef flavored... he won and with personal best time for the course ( don't ask how one pours sodium to the 1,000,000 X down their throat and excels in a 5 mile foot race )

Really awesome book I have read recently was
Special Topics in Calamity Physics : By Marisha Pessel
KIT

John Blaze
05-30-2007, 12:53 PM
a book called The Passage, about near death experiences (I was in heaven) type shit. It was awesome.

John Blaze
09-26-2007, 03:24 AM
Letti, seems this thread has died, but it's time to revive it.

let me put you on the spot for a second.

Have you actually read any of the recommended books? Has anyone?

I'd like to say i went out and read Neil Geiman because of the recommendation of a palaverite, and i'm glad i did, i love the guy now.

Storyslinger
09-26-2007, 07:31 AM
I would recommend anything by Gary Paulsen, mainly the Hatchet series

Letti
09-26-2007, 09:18 AM
I would recommend anything by Gary Paulsen, mainly the Hatchet series

Why?
It's not enough yet to make me read. ;)

Storyslinger
09-26-2007, 09:21 AM
Well, if you like a good survival story about man vs. nature, and you can get into a struggle of internal conflicts, and you like the outdoors, they are for you. The only set back is that they are at a lower reading level. I read them a long time ago, but they still remain amoung my favorites

John Blaze
09-26-2007, 08:48 PM
gary paulsen is ok. my favorite book of his is the one about the kid who runs.
however, he is for younger readers.

MonteGss
09-27-2007, 03:14 AM
Blaze! Good to see you again! :)

Mike Beck
09-27-2007, 05:16 AM
books for younger readers are still worth reading, i think. If the message is still there and the story is still good. I'm thinking of the Hobbit and the Giving Tree to start.

Good stuff.

Oh and if you are looking for a great book, get the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. It may change your life, your mindset, your perception about love, life and the pursuit of your personal dreams. It's written very well and the author is just amazing.

also, if you don't read it....you will have 2 weeks to live! so. that's motivation, right?

Storyslinger
09-27-2007, 06:52 AM
Damnit Mike, I knew you'd do this to me :runs into the street to the book store::calls back over shoulder:Damn you Mike Beck :lol:

Mike Beck
09-27-2007, 07:19 AM
well, now you won't die in 2 weeks. i just saved your ass. :D

Storyslinger
09-27-2007, 07:20 AM
Thanks, after I got a ticket for speeding in a 45mph zone, and remember I was on foot :beat:

Daghain
09-27-2007, 07:32 AM
I need to see if I still have my reading list from the Adolescent Lit class I took. It had a ton of good books on it.

Darkthoughts
09-27-2007, 11:03 AM
Oh and if you are looking for a great book, get the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

:orely: Give me a brief synopsis...I've read a few Coelho books and I can't remember if that was one of them - The Zahir is the one that stuck in my mind...that was also excellent.

Mike Beck
09-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Oh, I haven't read the Zahir yet.

It's definitely his most known, the Alchemist. About a shepard boy that decides to follow his dreams of seeing the pyramids. and it's really a story about making sacrifices and following your heart.

His books are great. I've read Warrior of the Light (which was okay. not much of a story as much as passages for a good way to live), Veronika Decides to Die (i loved this one!), and the Pilgrimage.

Darkthoughts
09-27-2007, 11:24 AM
Ahhhh! Veronica Decides To Die...that was the other one I read! Yes, that was great - cool, I get my paycheck tommorrow so I'll put The Alchemist on my treats list :D

Mike Beck
09-27-2007, 11:33 AM
It might be his best. It's my favorite of his. You won't be disppointed, I swear. And then let me know whatcha think of it. :)

Darkthoughts
09-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Sure thing :thumbsup:

MaraJShakespeare
09-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Many years ago, when I was 17 years old, I became acquainted with the work of Stephen King, and my life was changed. It would be impossible to really describe the effect reading King had on my still fairly young and sheltered mind. By forcing me to directly face them, SK's books freed me of any number of irrational fears I didn't even know I had, created a few new ones (albeit these fears were more fun) and made me more aware of any number of perfectly rational fears I might have to deal with at some point. King also showed me that someone could really write anything, as long as it was honest, and succeed. He helped me to become comfortable with a world from which I'd deliberately isolated myself for five years, as I was just preparing to re-enter society. It really isn't possible to explain the degree to which reading King changed my life, as I can't effectively recall what my mind was like before. I do know that, odd as it may seem, reading fantastic fiction brought me out of the confines of my carefully structured personal universe and back down to Earth; that's the best explanation I can come up with. At the time, I probably learned more home truths from the work of Stephen King than from any other source in the backward, under-educated hell of rural New Mexico I was stuck in. Those books provided much more than just the escape valve all good fiction can give the reader; they also taught me all kinds of useful things about human nature and introduced or inspired an infinity of thoughts, theories, ideas, philosophies and interior debates, many of which keep my grey matter active to this day. I reread many of them periodically in order to assess my own progress through life, to see how far I've come since I read any particular book in my misspent youth.

Anyway, I started this thread to mention other books, mostly non-fiction, that have had the same kind of effect upon me, albeit much later. I don't know if I can say that any books have had as profound an effect as King's, as it was his books that started me off in this direction, but if any have, it's the ones I'm here to talk about. I wholeheartedly recommend every book mentioned here, and I would likewise encourage all of you to come in here and provide your own lists of life-changing books and writers, fiction, non-fiction, and everything in between.

First, I'll mention the collective works of Robert Anton Wilson. Unfortunately, Bob shuffled off this mortal coil earlier this year, so now I'll never meet him- which I might have, as he was an old friend of my roommate and employer, Pasq. At any rate, Bob's books are all about change, brain-change in particular, and freeing oneself from the programmed reality-tunnels most of us don't even know we're in. There's never a dull moment; Bob will challenge your every assumption, every superstition, every dogma, every certainty, until you come out the other end with a mind fully capable of critical thinking and the ability to easily shovel your way through the steaming pile of pure nonsense that is most public discourse. Whether in novel form, like Illuminatus! or Schrodinger's Cat, or in the form of essay collections like the three Cosmic Trigger volumes, The Illuminati Papers or The New Inquisition, or even the screenplay format (The Walls Came Tumbling Down, Reality Is What You Can Get Away With), every book in the R.A.W. canon is a truly psychedelic experience: thought-provoking, incredibly funny, endlessly illuminating, detailing the weirdnesses that fill our world and the universe of which it occupies an infintesimal part. Prometheus Rising is nothing less than an instruction manual for the use of our higher levels of consciousness. It teaches readers to programme her/his own mind for him/herself rather than allow society or other untrustworthy forces to do it them. Prometheus Rising is a good place to start with Bob, in fact; it was the first of his books that I read, seven years ago now, due to the recommendation of my wisest friends. And yet, perhaps Cosmic Trigger, Vol. 1 is the best place for the beginner to enter Chapel Perilous; it's less serious, more humourous, and still representative of the R.A.W. approach to life, the universe, and everything. Nothing in Bob's ouvre is what you'd call 'light reading'; yet he wrote the kind of clear, sharp prose that shines a light through even the most dense and murky subject matter with ease. Bob can explain the most complex elements of quantum physics and the most convoluted details of political or spiritual conspiracies in language anyone who can read the English language can follow. In Coincidance, he describes the strange connections between the I Ching, DNA structure, Kabbalah, binary code, and James Joyce's Finnegan's Wake, as well as those between General Relativity and Joyce's Ulysses. In Illuminatus! (co-written with Bob Shea) and the three-volume Historical Illuminatus Chronicles, he provides a sane, philosophical, satirical explication of the competing conspiracies that have fought amongst themselves and each other for the authorship of history; after reading these books, you almost feel like you've been through it all yourself (and, according to some possible models of 'reality', perhaps you have). Through all of the R.A.W. canon, the reader comes face to face with many realities: UFOs, occult societies, sinister government plots, unexplained apparitions, communications from beyond the sloar system and the grave, shamans, outlaws, porno stars, gods, monsters, witches, politicians, great scientists and magicians (the fine line between the two frequently erased), demons, angels, movie stars, master criminals (you know, aside from the politicians), Irishmen, bizarre rains of frogs, coins, stones and English breakfasts, and an endless variety of oddities beyond my ability to recall. Like any other psychedelic experience, the actuality of reading these books, absorbing the incredible information in them, and having so many of your old fears, assumptions, prejudices, beliefs, and mental programmes either challenged or annihilated, is beyond description. At this crucial point in human history, I consider it not merely useful for people to know the things they can learn from the works of Bob, but absolutely essential, and it's easier to learn them by reading his books, doing the excersizes in some of them, and reading the other books he recommends than it is to learn them from experience, as he did (and as, to a lesser degree, I did before reading him). I heartily encourage any and every one of my fellow SK/Dark Tower freaks to have the R.A.W. experience, ASAP. Unless there's some dogma you hold dear and don't want challenged, or you have some severe attachment to the illusion of certainty, you will not regret it.

Basically, though I've had many wonderful encounters with literature that have enriched my perspective in a variety of ways, I have had two serious, life-changing experiences with the written word in my adult life. The first, being turned on to fantastic fiction through the work of Stephen King, I have already described and all of you have, to one degree or another, shared. The second was in some ways a result of the first (I wouldn't have moved to Boulder if not for King, so I wouldn't have met the people who turned me on to Bob), but was, in other ways, more drastic, truly world-altering, mind-bending, Earth-shattering, and I'd like to share it with as many people as possible.

Now, this is just my first recommendation, to open up the thread. I hope you all have recommendations of your own as well, partly because I'm looking for new authors to read myself. And I hope that at least a few of you will find this particular piece of literary advice useful; I hope some of you will be successfully introduced to Bob, and will find the relationship as profitable as I have. If so, drop me a PM or come in here and tell us all about it. More importantly though, as I've said, tell us who your major, life-changing writers are, and how they've made your lives better. I think this is the kind of exchange from which we could all benefit, as there's little in life better than discovering a great writer or artist of whom one was previously unaware. And if there's anything that gives me as much pleasure as discovering great books or authors I haven't already read, it's introducing them to others.
:idea:

Erin
10-16-2007, 02:11 PM
I think i'm going to pick up some Philip K Dick books soon. Sarajean highly recommends him and she hasn't steered me wrong yet.

Also, I was looking up some of his books online and I really want to read The Man in the High Castle....it's about an alternate history of if the Nazis had been victorious.

sarajean
10-16-2007, 02:38 PM
um...that one is on my top ten list.

it is phenomenal.

i mean, really...all of his stuff is phenomenal, but that one is just the best. seriously, i recommend that everyone read it.

i must warn you, though: with all of his novels, be prepared to not know what the fuck is going on for at least the fifty pages or so. after that, all of the little pieces start to fall into place and you're left with so much to think about that has just completely blown your mind.

kelly will totally agree with me on this.

Erin
10-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Awesome. That just sold it even more. :excited:

OchrisO
10-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? is a great book, and way better than the movie(Bladerunner) that was made from it.

sarajean
10-16-2007, 05:28 PM
it's really apples and oranges, chris. it's like they used the character names and some of the situations from the book when writing the script, but not much of the actual story. i still love the movie, but it's absolutely nothing like the book.

anyway.

OchrisO
10-16-2007, 05:41 PM
Yeah, I guess that's true. I'm a fan of the movie as well. I just like the book more.

Here's what Dick had to say about the movie shortly before he died:

"I saw a segment of Douglas Trumbull's special effects for Blade Runner on the KNBC-TV news. I recognized it immediately. It was my own interior world. They caught it perfectly." He also approved of the film's script, saying, "After I finished reading the screenplay, I got the novel out and looked through it. The two reinforce each other, so that someone who started with the novel would enjoy the movie and someone who started with the movie would enjoy the novel."

sarajean
10-16-2007, 06:03 PM
i wish they had included the mercerism.

OchrisO
10-16-2007, 06:10 PM
I'd imagine they left it out to avoid Fundamentalist drama around the release.

DTrose19
10-16-2007, 06:21 PM
I read alot but I guess if someone asked me this I would have to tell them to read Great Expectations by CHarles Dickens. It is about a boy orphaned and left to live with his sister and brother-in-law. How he helps a criminal by his parents grave and his transitions through love, life and becomeing a well rounded young man. This book changed my life and had a dramatic effect on the way I saw things in the world. Deffinatley a great book, and a classic.

sarajean
10-16-2007, 06:24 PM

that's a great point. the mercerism was the biggest thing i took away from the book, though, and that's why it saddens me that it was left out.

OchrisO
10-16-2007, 06:26 PM

that's a great point. the mercerism was the biggest thing i took away from the book, though, and that's why it saddens me that it was left out.

Yeah. I definately wish it had been in there. The nature of it says a lot about Dick's thoughts on religion and such.

sarajean
10-16-2007, 06:28 PM
exactly. did you read the VALIS cycle?

OchrisO
10-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Nope. I haven't read it.

sarajean
10-16-2007, 07:05 PM
it's three books, VALIS, the transmigration of timothy archer and the divine invasion. they really give a peek into his mind and beliefs.

Darkthoughts
10-17-2007, 02:29 AM
I read alot but I guess if someone asked me this I would have to tell them to read Great Expectations by CHarles Dickens. It is about a boy orphaned and left to live with his sister and brother-in-law. How he helps a criminal by his parents grave and his transitions through love, life and becomeing a well rounded young man. This book changed my life and had a dramatic effect on the way I saw things in the world. Deffinatley a great book, and a classic.

:huglove: Its in my top ten list in the other thread!

Erin
10-17-2007, 06:36 AM
OK guys....help me out. I'm almost done with Blaze. What should I read next:

Imajica by Clive Barker

or

Battlefield Earth by L.Ron Hubbard

Storyslinger
10-17-2007, 06:40 AM
Join the band wagon, we're all going for Imajica

Odetta
10-17-2007, 06:45 AM
I haven't read Battlefield Earth... but Imajica is my favorite Clive Barker story.

Daghain
10-17-2007, 10:00 AM
Read Jane Austen. Dickens is great, too. And Edith Wharton, for classic class conflict. For more current fiction, I recommend She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. You would never believe a guy wrote that book - he knows way too much about the female mind. :D

sarajean
10-17-2007, 12:58 PM
you know what my vote will be, erin. 'sides, you've had battlefield earth for MONTHS!

Ikilledthecrimsonking
10-17-2007, 01:32 PM
one of the best non SK book ive ever read is patriot games by Tom Clancy
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n6/n32868.jpg
also the movie is good only becuase Harrison Ford is in it

fernandito
10-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Erin - Imajica, or bust!

John Blaze
02-05-2008, 10:14 PM
ok, I cannot imagine why this thread died. Must be all the red..... :LOL:

anyways, Letti, do you have a status report?

Letti
02-06-2008, 07:15 AM
1. ok, I cannot imagine why this thread died. Must be all the red..... :LOL:

2. anyways, Letti, do you have a status report?

1. Nor can I.

2. What do I have?

CRinVA
02-06-2008, 08:00 AM
Nikolett,

you said you didn't read a lot as a child, so you may have missed some really great books, the ones nobody thought of yet just because the people who have already posted - probably - considered them too obvious, rather part of childhood, teenagerhood, growing up than books per se. How about

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain

To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee

Treasure Island, by R.L.Stevenson

Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte

I really don't think a life can be full without any of these.

Letti these are awesome recommendations!
I'd add to this list the folowing:

Of Mice and Men
The Grapes of Wrath
The Red Badge of Courage
Animal Farm
The Old Man and the Sea
Lord of the Flies
Catch 22
Gone With The Wind

There are many many more!

Letti
02-06-2008, 08:03 AM
Thank you, CRinVa. I am always happy when people give me some great ideas.
Anyway I have read Animalfarm (not once) and Lord of the Flies already. :)

cozener
02-06-2008, 11:35 AM
Grendel by John Gardner

Its an interesting take on the Beowulf legend (and much more fun to read than the original), told from Grendel’s point of view. Very philosophical and very entertaining. It has a lot to say about the nature of good and evil and how we view those concepts. As it is told from Grendel's point of view it touches a lot on the feelings of those on the outside looking in and how an outsider might view humanity and all of its petty hypocrisies. Not a very long book but its just long enough to make its points in a beautiful way.

Of course, Dune and all of the Dune books written by Frank Herbert.

Herbert’s main premise when starting out is that is that the mistakes of what he calls “supermen” or great leaders are amplified by all of the people that follow them. The whole of these six books covers the rise of one such superman and the price of the amplification of his mistakes and what it took to correct them, thus saving the human race from isolation on planets spread across the universe and eventual extinction. It goes into many aspects of philosophy, society, religion, genetics, differences between the sexes and the weaknesses and strengths of both, and ecology. At least one concept raised by Herbert…genetic memory…I think is bunk but altogether and amazing series of books. Besides all of this, its just a damn great story. I would agree with Arthur C Clarke when he said that Dune was science fiction’s answer to The Lord of the Rings. Its nothing like LotR. It has few, if any, similar themes. But like Tolkien’s work the imagination that it took to come up with it all, to me, is mind blowing. I also found it much easier to read than LotR.

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

This is actually five books but you can buy them in one compendium now. I recommend it as the books are short and you’ll wish you did have them all. There is a good laugh to be had on just about every page. Many of them will leave you laughing so hard that you’ll have to stop reading for a bit before you can continue. I hesitate to call it a science fiction “spoof” because it has more class than that. And I never really felt like scifi was being laughed at as much as laughed with. Its an interesting story within itself. Its extremely well written, very clever, and innovative besides being a gutbusting read.

Wuducynn
02-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Grendel by John Gardner

Its an interesting take on the Beowulf legend (and much more fun to read than the original), told from Grendel’s point of view. Very philosophical and very entertaining. It has a lot to say about the nature of good and evil and how we view those concepts. As it is told from Grendel's point of view it touches a lot on the feelings of those on the outside looking in and how an outsider might view humanity and all of its petty hypocrisies. Not a very long book but its just long enough to make its points in a beautiful way.

I've heard of it, I might check that out.

Of course, Dune and all of the Dune books written by Frank Herbert.

Herbert’s main premise when starting out is that is that the mistakes of what he calls “supermen” or great leaders are amplified by all of the people that follow them. The whole of these six books covers the rise of one such superman and the price of the amplification of his mistakes and what it took to correct them, thus saving the human race from isolation on planets spread across the universe and eventual extinction. It goes into many aspects of philosophy, society, religion, genetics, differences between the sexes and the weaknesses and strengths of both, and ecology. At least one concept raised by Herbert…genetic memory…I think is bunk but altogether and amazing series of books. Besides all of this, its just a damn great story. I would agree with Arthur C Clarke when he said that Dune was science fiction’s answer to The Lord of the Rings. Its nothing like LotR. It has few, if any, similar themes. But like Tolkien’s work the imagination that it took to come up with it all, to me, is mind blowing. I also found it much easier to read than LotR.

Agreed completely, especially Dune and God Emperor of Dune.

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

This is actually five books but you can buy them in one compendium now. I recommend it as the books are short and you’ll wish you did have them all. There is a good laugh to be had on just about every page. Many of them will leave you laughing so hard that you’ll have to stop reading for a bit before you can continue. I hesitate to call it a science fiction “spoof” because it has more class than that. And I never really felt like scifi was being laughed at as much as laughed with. Its an interesting story within itself. Its extremely well written, very clever, and innovative besides being a gutbusting read.

While I liked The Hitchhikers Guide series and got some serious laughs out of them, I just got bored with the books and humor and total crazyness got old for me afterawhile.

John Blaze
02-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Well Letti, what I meant by status report is: Have you read any of our reccommendations yet>?

I was trying to figure out how expensive it is to send 12 books to Hungary, that way you won't have an excuse not to read it.

Letti
02-07-2008, 12:07 AM
Well Letti, what I meant by status report is: Have you read any of our reccommendations yet>?

I was trying to figure out how expensive it is to send 12 books to Hungary, that way you won't have an excuse not to read it.

Yes, I have because I had read them before the reccommendation. ;) But there are many books on ym shelves which are waiting for me and because of this thread there are some new ones, too.

That must be damn expensive.
Anyway if I would like to get a book I try to buy it as quick as possible. When I must choose clothes or books I choose books.

Farson
02-07-2008, 02:01 PM
If you like fast paced, intense stories, I've got the author for you. He pretty much sticks to the Pulp Noir genre and his stories are super brutal. His name is Charlie Huston. I promise each and every one of you you'll love his books. They're about, at a max, 300 pages long each. very quick reads. I like his books alot because of their intensity. He has two trilogies: The first is about a guy named Henry Thompson and everything that can go wrong for him does. in the worst possible ways. The books in the trilogy are:

"Caught Stealing" http://books.google.com/books?id=HOPoAAAACAAJ&dq=inauthor:Charlie+inauthor:Huston

"Six Bad Things" http://books.google.com/books?id=G9sfAAAACAAJ&dq=inauthor:Charlie+inauthor:Huston

"A Dangerous Man" http://books.google.com/books?id=z-7XAAAACAAJ&dq=inauthor:Charlie+inauthor:Huston

The second trilogy Mr. Huston contrived is about a P.I named Joe Pitt. He's a vampire. read about the rest. It's AWESOME!!!!!

"Already Dead" http://books.google.com/books?id=n6SYAQAACAAJ&dq=inauthor:Charlie+inauthor:Huston

"No Dominion" http://books.google.com/books?id=0TYUAAAACAAJ&dq=inauthor:Charlie+inauthor:Huston

"Half The Blood Of Brooklyn" http://books.google.com/books?id=d_WkGQAACAAJ&dq=inauthor:Charlie+inauthor:Huston

Then, Mr. Huston wrote a book about dumb kids who think it's a good idea to rip off a meth dealer. This book is a stand alone, but SOOOOOO intense!!!!

Please, please, please read these books. You'll have such a good time!

BJ

John Blaze
02-07-2008, 02:08 PM
for that type of readin I stick to Cussler.

Jean
02-08-2008, 01:02 AM
Nikolett!!!

I remembered one book you got to read as soon as you can, I know you're going to love it

Up the Down Staircase, by Bel Kaufman

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Letti
02-08-2008, 01:07 AM
Okay. :D

Hallvard
07-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Now that I've read the last DT book I'm unsure of what to do.. Well, I know that I want to start on another series. I love Science Fiction, so that's what I want to read.

Anyway, I've read lots of 40k books, which I love because of the action and the absolutely awesome setting. I also found The Dark Tower's post-apocalyptic theme to be very exciting (this is of course just one of the things I love about TDT) :cool:

I also want action. The Dark Tower had a great mix of action and more "deep" sequences. What I'm trying to say is that I don't want a space-soap :lol:

Mutants are awesome too. Mutants and crazy people.

I'll list what I want (but not necessarily need); Set in the future (The Dark Tower goes under this, with its atomic slugs and crazy terror trains), post-apocalyptic setting, action, mutants and awesome gunslinger-like people (:()...

I'm picky because I've got my Post-DT depression. Say sorry. :(

This is just a general outline though, don't take it too seriously! :)

Another thing I'd like is if it's big. Big like The Dark Tower. I don't want it to end fast.

(Yes, I basically want The Dark Tower. Again.)

This is a mess isn't it?

Feel free to recommend..

Daghain
07-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Have you read The Stand? Not sci-fi, necessarily, but I find it a good cure for the DT blues.

Nerak
07-10-2008, 05:34 AM
You should read The House of Sand and Fog and The Garden of Last Days by Andre Dubus III.

They pull you right into the stories. Things that could actually happen to you or someone you know and it makes you feel for them and what's going on in their lives.

Both very good. I haven't quite finished Garden yet, but I am hoping to today, only 167 pages left! :D

Tiffany
07-10-2008, 06:08 AM
:o Cozener, thanks for reminding me about Grendel. I totally forgot about that book and it's been sitting on one of my shelves since Christmas.

I'm not big on love stories or romances but The Time Traveler's Wife is one of my top five non-SK books. It's a different kind of love story about Henry, who has a gene-disorder that causes him to spontaneously time-travel, and Clare who has to cope with his disappearing and reappearing.
Oh, and every time he time-travels, he's the only thing that travels so he appears naked wherever he shows up. He ends up in some dangerous situations. It's also interesting to read about the first time she meets him, since she's six or so and he's 40-something. The first time he meets her, they're both in their twenties (I believe).

It's written in pieces that tell you the date and how old each of them are at that specific point of storytelling (e.g. October 1990, Clare is 20, Henry is 32). I have no idea if that example is accurate but you get it. It's well-written and it's one of those books that just sucks you in at the first page.

I love, love, love that story.

Hallvard
07-11-2008, 07:14 AM
The Stand is on my "to-buy" list. It seems like something I'd like very much, and written by SK!

stone, rose, unfound door
07-14-2008, 03:33 PM
As Jean said Letti, Treasure Island is a great book (one of my favourite, actually ^^) I'd also recommend Last Night I Dreamed of Peace
It is a Vietnamese doctor's journal during the Vietnam war and it is extremely moving. (don't know why, but the Vietnam war is like Sarajevo or Warsaw to me: it always makes me sad just thinking about it) She just tells what happens to her everyday for a period of time. The themes she mostly tells about are her family she left in the North to help people in the South, her patients, her lover and the Party. It's the first time I've read such a moving war journal.
Another journal I loved as a teen and still do is Go ask Alice which deals with drug use. I was younger than the narrator when I first read it, but she tells about things anyone would relate to whatever their age.
The other side of brightness is another book I loved. Deals with the mixing of races in New York during the XXth century. As usual, Colum McCann describes characters that you could meet in the street and who you can relate to. He also writes beautifully, which makes the whole story even better.
Shan Sa's The girl who played go is another one of my favourite. It received the Prix Goncourt des Lycéens, which is a prize authors are awarded by highschool students. This book deals with a girl and a man during the Japanese invasion in Mandchuria in the 1930s. She's Chinese and he's Japanese. I won't tell anything more because it's a short (though marvellous) book and you'd know the end if I added anything else here :)
I read a lot as a child and got Myeko's gift when I was about 8 or 9. It's the story of a Japanese girl moving to the US and having many problems integrating. It's really a story about friendship and integration that I read really fast back then. Myeko's really cute and you feel the longing she has for her grandparents that are still in Japan and her country too. The only problem with this one is that it apparently is quite hard to find (I had to search for it for a client at work and couldn't find any supplier, which really bothers me as it's such a beautiful children's book).
I'd also recommend medieval French novels like Perceval (still on my top ten after all these years!) or other Chrétien de Troyes' books, though Lancelot is not that great.
Another one I always recommend when searching for a nice read is The red and the black. Set in Napoleonistic France, it's a story about love and interest and features my #2 favourite character (after Cuthbert, obviously!), that is Julien Sorel. He is a young man born in rural France who longs for fame and starts teaching to M. de Rênal's son. Romance occurs with I won't tell you who! It's the best French romantic novel I've read so far (I mean of the Romantic period) by far so you should go and have a look at it ASAP! It's my #2 favourite novel, after all! (after the whole DT series, which counts as one)

PedroPáramo
05-05-2009, 01:02 PM
-The savage detectives, by Roberto Bolaño.
-On heroes and tombs, by Ernesto Sabato
-Kafka on the shore, by Haruki Murakami.

Jean
05-05-2009, 01:11 PM
I am, all of a sudden, having a problem I never used to have. I can't finish books I start. Now I have lots of started ones, which is normal, because I always read five to ten books at once... but it has been too long, and during this time interval I've re-read quite a few children's books, and some others I know by heart because of frequent re-reads... but those still remain, in Russian and English, new reads and rereads... For example, I stopped reading A Clockwork Orange when they were going to give him this treatment... I just lost interest (truly, I can't remember being less interested in whatever may happen to the main character or anybody else in a book); I am (and have been for a month) halfway through A GirlWLTG, which I love, but can't make myself pick it up again... also, at second or third chapter of a Koontz book, - and that book seemed, for God's sake, written lots better than any Koontz book I've previously tried, and I remember enjoying the beginning... but the idea of getting into it again after this break somehow feels unbearable... There are other books, too. I really don't know what to think, it has never happened before. In short, I can only read what I already know very well, or what is very easy.

Daghain
05-05-2009, 01:25 PM
I keep telling you, I have one I guarantee you will read from start to finish....:D

John_and_Yoko
05-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Currently my favorite story ever written is Peter Pan.

Don't laugh. It is NOT just some children's fairy tale, whatever it looks like (and however people have misinterpreted it). It's genuine myth (as evidenced by how it's pervaded our culture), and I think it does an excellent job of telling the way life is in an easily understandable way (and in a short tale--I personally enjoy epics, but if you can get something that profound in a story that ISN'T a doorstopper, well....).

Most importantly, while there are several stories out there that I love, and get obsessed over, Peter Pan is in a class all by itself--I can actually IDENTIFY with it, and am so glad that I've come to learn about the real point of the story and the origins of its creation by J. M. Barrie. Barrie was a unique individual, and no one else could have written Peter Pan--which is why I lament the misinterpretation of it in adaptations, which make it look like anyone could have written it.

I was a kid when I watched the Disney animated version of Peter Pan, and I wasn't all that impressed by it--not to the point of obsession, not like I am now. And now I understand why and my only lament is that I had to unlearn what I'd learned. May Barrie's vision never be eclipsed by a substitute.

PedroPáramo
05-05-2009, 01:34 PM
I am, all of a sudden, having a problem I never used to have. I can't finish books I start. Now I have lots of started ones, which is normal, because I always read five to ten books at once... but it has been too long, and during this time interval I've re-read quite a few children's books, and some others I know by heart because of frequent re-reads... but those still remain, in Russian and English, new reads and rereads... For example, I stopped reading A Clockwork Orange when they were going to give him this treatment... I just lost interest (truly, I can't remember being less interested in whatever may happen to the main character or anybody else in a book); I am (and have been for a month) halfway through A GirlWLTG, which I love, but can't make myself pick it up again... also, at second or third chapter of a Koontz book, - and that book seemed, for God's sake, written lots better than any Koontz book I've previously tried, and I remember enjoying the beginning... but the idea of getting into it again after this break somehow feels unbearable... There are other books, too. I really don't know what to think, it has never happened before. In short, I can only read what I already know very well, or what is very easy.

Why don't you try to read Tales?
I mean, nromally they're are too short for leave them fast xD

Brice
05-06-2009, 03:06 AM

Why don't you try to read Tales?
I mean, nromally they're are too short for leave them fast xD

Do you mean like short stories? :orely: If so...I agree. I think they are best for getting through bouts of reader's block. Personally as much as I love a good novel I am obsessed with short stories and read quite a lot of them. They are my preference. Jean, even bears are not immune to reader's block. It just happens sometimes.

And as for ACO you may just not be in a point in your life where you can appreciate it. Maybe try it another time?

Jean
05-06-2009, 04:58 AM
Short stories should be all right. The only book in English I've been able to finish lately was Miss Marple Complete Stories by Christie.

Reader's block, yes... the thing is, I can't do without reading anyway, so I pick books, read about a half and drop it. As far as ACO is concerned, I kinda enjoyed it... I didn't like it, but I enjoyed the process of reading... and now I can't force myself to open that file again.

thank you friends for your suggestion!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Darkthoughts
05-06-2009, 05:23 AM

I hated Peter Pan! Not the story, which is fantastic...but Peter himself...what a little bastard!

:lol:

Lily-sai
05-06-2009, 07:50 AM

Jean, I have the exact same problem. I've never had this kind of reader's block before - I just stick to rereads, which shucks, because I love this thrill of finding a new book to love. Or maybe that's the reason for the block - my expectations are too high or something. Everything just seems so pale after reading DT series for the first time last February. Hence this persistent block :(

(What was that Koontz one called, by the way? I'm not exactly a big fan of him, but if BEARS say it was written lots better, I believe bears!)

turtlex
05-06-2009, 07:54 AM
When I hit reader's block - I just grab the easiest, pulpest, bit of fiction I can get my hands on. That kind of easy-read, that usually kicks up the interest and attraction to be better books...
... that being said, it's not exactly working gang busters for me now, and I've gone through about 20 really "bad" books in the last two weeks. :shrugs:

Lily-sai
05-06-2009, 07:59 AM
I wish I had something easy-read around. Sadly, there's only Coelho's Veronika decides to die and Albom's The Five people you meet in the Heaven at hand. Too heavy for my tired brains, however brilliant they are (and they indeed are!). I'm desperate. *sobs*

Jean
05-06-2009, 08:02 AM
Koontz is Dark Rivers of the Heart... I read about twenty more pages yesterday, convinced myself that it was a thoroughly enjoyable read, - and, behold, today I'm rereading an old Soviet book for kids I've read at least fourty times. (of course, it is brilliantly written... maybe it's something to think about... but, on the other hand, TGWLTG is wonderful, too). I don't even have the excuse of having just finished the DT and being afraid the next book would pale in comparison, like my dear beloved меховая bear-Oy-sister...

When I hit reader's block - I just grab the easiest, pulpest, bit of fiction I can get my hands on. That kind of easy-read, that usually kicks up the interest and attraction to be better books...
... that being said, it's not exactly working gang busters for me now, and I've gone through about 20 really "bad" books in the last two weeks. :shrugs:
that's what is happening to me, too!!! It's either kids' books I've already read a lot of times, or something incredible... Right now I went to the supermarket and bought a Russian female novel, about every-day life and adultery and divorce (the action is set in the 80s, so there's at least the excuse of nostalgy and some historical value - Soviet times, you see)... and I am actually reading it, and I am sure I will fucking finish it - while King and Umberto Eco are just lying there!

flaggwalkstheline
05-06-2009, 08:08 AM
I find koontz to be a rather hit or miss writer

I've been reading The Plague by Camus, its really intense

Lily-sai
05-06-2009, 08:13 AM
Hit or miss, indeed. Probably it would be easy enough for me to read, hm? Let's give it a try anyway, thanks for the hint, my lovely big-big bearbrother! I don't want to sink so deep I start reading Meyers' books. Please, Gan, no.

John_and_Yoko
05-06-2009, 10:12 AM

I hated Peter Pan! Not the story, which is fantastic...but Peter himself...what a little bastard!

Heh--well, he was originally conceived as the villain. ;) But he's also a tragic figure....

Erin
05-06-2009, 10:57 AM
I've had something similar happen to me too recently, Jean.

After finishing George R.R. Martin's 4th book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series, everything i've picked up since then has just paled in comparison. I've left about 5 books just sitting half-read. And ones I liked too! I really have just been reading comics lately, but I think King's Just After Sunset may break this dreaded reader's block. So far, i'm really digging it.

Jean
05-06-2009, 10:18 PM
Personally, I wouldn't rely on JAS... but if you like it, it might work! Good luck with thishttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Lily-sai
05-07-2009, 01:18 AM
I've just started Duma Key (I haven't read it before). You see, I'm clunging tightly to Sai King like a child who doesn't want let go of her parents. An annoying habit, but at least I think my block is starting to vanish.. Hopefully after this I'm able to read other writers, too!

Jean
05-07-2009, 02:33 AM
Duma Key is wonderful! One of bears' favorites.

Lily-sai
05-07-2009, 02:57 AM
Is it? Now I'm greatly comforted. Looking good so far, yes. I think I will dwell on Duma Key for a good while. меховая big-big bearbrother, you know how much I trust your taste regarding books. :huglove:

turtlex
05-07-2009, 03:10 AM
Since sending Alisha the first couple of Patricia Cornwell novels, I think I'm going to go back and re-read those. Not exactly easy reading, but since I'm (overly) familiar with the characters and know the plots, I think maybe they'll lead me back into the more serious stuff that I usually enjoy reading so much... not sure what's up with this odd sort of readers-block. It is good to know, though, that I'm not the only one who experiences it.

Jean
05-07-2009, 06:20 AM
Lily: I am меховой. You are меховая.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gif

Lily-sai
05-07-2009, 06:33 AM
Cry pardon, I forgot about that -a rule.

http://english-coffee.com/images/smilies/SMILE2/kaos-animal-bear-smiley-6030.gif

Heather19
05-14-2009, 01:58 PM

Yes, it's one of my favorites by King. It's such a wonderful story, I couldn't put it down. :couple:

Please let us know what you think of it when you finish it Liisa.

Jean
05-14-2009, 08:37 PM
yesterday I actually finished rereading TGWLTG! I think it's a big step forward, maybe the block is going to start dissipating.

(by the way, what a fantastic book! even better - if it is possible at all - on reread)

Iwritecode
05-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Now, Letti - new recommendation. The book I finished last night should be a must-read in everyone's near-future (those who haven't made the happy discovery already). It's a post-apocolyptic (sp?) tale. One of the bleakest stories I've ever read - and it's amazingly good.

I picked this up the other day on CD and I'm just about finished with it. I have to say I wasn't real impressed with it.

Heather19
05-15-2009, 05:01 PM
yesterday I actually finished rereading TGWLTG! I think it's a big step forward, maybe the block is going to start dissipating.

(by the way, what a fantastic book! even better - if it is possible at all - on reread)

And this makes your little sister very happy :huglove:

Now if only we could do something about my problem :orely:

Erin
05-18-2009, 12:22 PM
Has anyone read I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max? A friend of mine just told me she's laughed hysterically through the entire thing and said I should check it out.

Jean
05-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Now if only we could do something about my problem :orely:
is it still the same, or has there been any progress?

Heather19
05-18-2009, 01:39 PM
Well I forced myself to finish the book that I was halfway through with. It only took me an hour or so, but it was quite a struggle. I started another book awhile ago (which I think I've only read one chapter in). So I'm going to try to start that one again if I can make myself actually sit down to read for a bit. I'll let you know how it goes.

SigTauGimp
05-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Has anyone read I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max? A friend of mine just told me she's laughed hysterically through the entire thing and said I should check it out.

I lloovvvee reading Tucker Max...a few of his stories are on tuckermax.com, if you want to read them. I recommend Absinthe Doughnuts. It's my favorite. He also has a movie supposedly in post-production.

Jean
05-20-2009, 03:19 AM
Well I forced myself to finish the book that I was halfway through with. It only took me an hour or so, but it was quite a struggle. I started another book awhile ago (which I think I've only read one chapter in). So I'm going to try to start that one again if I can make myself actually sit down to read for a bit. I'll let you know how it goes.
I would recommend that you try something exceptionally well written - like Huckleberry Finn, but something you haven't read before; so you don't have to read to know how the story will develop - who cares, anyway? - but you can't put it down because you don't want to part with the brilliant text. I can think now of those (thought maybe you've read them all):

- Lucky Jim, by Kingsley Amis
- The Bear Went Over the Mountain, by William Kotzwinkle
- The Loved One, by Evelyn Waugh
- Up the Down Staircase, by Bel Kaufman

ManOfWesternesse
05-20-2009, 06:58 AM

I picked this up the other day on CD and I'm just about finished with it. I have to say I wasn't real impressed with it.
.. there you go! :lol:
Yes, I've seen extreme opinions in both directions on this one.
I'm curious just how they did this on an Audio CD. Can't imagine how they handled the strange punctuation etc..... then again, I've never listed to an Audio of ANY Book, ever.

Lily-sai
05-20-2009, 01:43 PM

Yes, it's one of my favorites by King. It's such a wonderful story, I couldn't put it down. :couple:

Please let us know what you think of it when you finish it Liisa.

I just wrote in the DK thread. :)

Reader's block is probably starting to vanish now. Read The Eyes of the Dragon fairly quickly after DK, and mayhap I'm now ready for the other authors, too. phew.

Heather19
05-20-2009, 02:07 PM

I'm curious just how they did this on an Audio CD. Can't imagine how they handled the strange punctuation etc..... then again, I've never listed to an Audio of ANY Book, ever.

The audio book was pretty good. I haven't read the actual text of it just listened, and it was very clear what was going on and if a character was speaking and who it was.

Thanks for the suggestion Jean :couple:
If the book I'm reading now doesn't pan out, maybe I'll search out one of those.

jhanic
05-20-2009, 03:25 PM

If you can, try Dolores Claiborne in the audio, with Frances Sternhagen doing the reading. It is truely a work of art. She IS Dolores!

Also, there are textual differences between the audio and the book. Most are inconsequential, but there are a number of things in the audio that enhance Dolores's character.

John

SigTauGimp
05-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a book with a type of "Donnie Darko/Southland Tales" type of vibe? A thinking book...maybe a bit apocalyptic, or a bit dystopian(sp?)? I've been in that kind of mood for about 5 days now, but I can't seem to find anything that piques my interest.

Iwritecode
05-21-2009, 12:58 PM

The audio book was pretty good. I haven't read the actual text of it just listened, and it was very clear what was going on and if a character was speaking and who it was.

There were a couple of times where there was what I'm assuming was a "flashback" where the man was talking with his wife. I had to go back and make sure I didn't miss something because they kinda came out of nowhere.

Lily-sai
05-21-2009, 05:06 PM
sigh, I can't sleep, and I have to get up early. Since my reader's block has finally vanished (thanks to Duma Key), I think I'll start with something of Clive Barker (I have this sudden urge to read something and nod happily off while reading). Which one of his books would you recommend? Imajica?

Brice
05-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Imagica is phenomenal. There are really a lot of Barker's books I'd highly reccomend though.

Lily-sai
05-21-2009, 05:13 PM
Ah thanks, Brice dear! I think I'll start with Imajica. The top five of Barker's books in your opinion?

Brice
05-21-2009, 05:26 PM
No top five, but here's the best IMO:

The Damnation Game
The Books Of Blood
The Inhuman Condition
In The Flesh
The Thief Of Always
Imagica
The Great And Secret Show
Everville
Mr. Be Gone

^^^All of those should be considered required reading. :D

Lily-sai
05-21-2009, 05:31 PM
I now feel ashamed I've never read Sai Barker's books before. Better late than never, eh? :)

Off I go, starting to read Imajica. :happiness:

Thanks again! :huglove:

Brice
05-21-2009, 05:34 PM
My pleasure! :huglove:

You've definitely missed out by not having read his stuff. I am jealous of you discovering him for the first time though. I started with The Books Of Blood and was immediately pulled in.

Heather19
05-22-2009, 01:53 PM
Now where's that list you're supposed to be working on for me :cry:

Brice
05-22-2009, 04:08 PM
I am...I'm just trying to be thorough as I can.

Heather19
05-22-2009, 04:17 PM
:huglove: sounds good, I can't wait!

ladysai
05-23-2009, 12:12 PM
No top five, but here's the best IMO:

The Damnation Game
The Books Of Blood
The Inhuman Condition
In The Flesh
The Thief Of Always
Imagica
The Great And Secret Show
Everville
Mr. Be Gone

^^^All of those should be considered required reading. :D

No Weaveworld?!
WTF, Brice?!?!
:panic:

Please don't leave Weaveworld out of your reading list, sai.
It's a memorable read. One of my favorites of Barker's.
:)

Lily-sai
05-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Ah-hah! Brice!!!!

Thanks for the tip, fellow sai! :D

Brice
05-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Yes, Weaveworld was just accidentally overlooked. It definitely belongs on the list. I was just doing it from memory and was tired.

Jean
05-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Now where's that list you're supposed to be working on for me :cry:

- Lucky Jim, by Kingsley Amis
- The Bear Went Over the Mountain, by William Kotzwinkle
- The Loved One, by Evelyn Waugh
- Up the Down Staircase, by Bel Kaufman

Heather19
05-24-2009, 09:23 AM
thanks Jean, I marked down the ones you had already suggested. :couple:
I was wondering about the list of scary stories that Brice was supposed to be working on for us though.

Brice
05-24-2009, 01:08 PM
thanks Jean, I marked down the ones you had already suggested. :couple:
I was wondering about the list of scary stories that Brice was supposed to be is working on for us though.

:thumbsup:

Heather19
05-24-2009, 02:06 PM

Brice
05-24-2009, 02:09 PM
;)

I just hope I can make your wait seem a little worthwhile. :)

BillyxRansom
05-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Dhalgren by Sam R. Delany
The Children of Men by P. D. James

the first is extremely eccentric (I guess? That's the first word that comes to mind) and just a very interesting (but difficult) read.

The second is just amazing. 'Nuff said. :excited:

mdk101
05-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Since I have a new found love for audiobooks after revisiting the Dark Tower series (and most of my favorite short stories) in this form, what should my next adventure be?

I was strongly recommended The Stand, which I just started the unabridged today (King actually says this was the most acclaimed by his readers in the foreword). I was thinking about Hearts in Atlantis, since that was the only book that had a strong reference in the DT series that I have not read yet.

Please let me know what other books might fit my liking (of course not just limited to King).

John_and_Yoko
05-29-2009, 12:03 AM
Since I have a new found love for audiobooks after revisiting the Dark Tower series (and most of my favorite short stories) in this form, what should my next adventure be?

I was strongly recommended The Stand, which I just started the unabridged today (King actually says this was the most acclaimed by his readers in the foreword). I was thinking about Hearts in Atlantis, since that was the only book that had a strong reference in the DT series that I have not read yet.

Please let me know what other books might fit my liking (of course not just limited to King).

Hearts in Atlantis is good. :)

Of course, everyone has their own tastes, but speaking for myself, my favorite non-DT book by Stephen King was IT, but from your words it sounds like you may have read that already.... :blush:

Gaberax
05-29-2009, 05:50 AM
I would highly recommend Glen Cook's Black Company series. Sword and sorcery, gritty dark fantasy. Towers, wizards, blood & guts...

If you are a cat lover (and who isn't) there is a small good series by Gabriel King. It starts with a book called "The Wild Road."
Cat fantasy...

Recently finished and highly recommend Water For Elephants.
Circus train life set in the 1930's...

Finally, recently read "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" and found it to be a great, tragic read.
Dogs and a tragic family...

juliebcreative
05-29-2009, 06:08 AM
I just finished Water for Elephants too...SO GOOD!!!!

I would highly recommend Glen Cook's Black Company (http://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Black-Company-Glen-Cook/dp/0765319233/ref=pd_cp_b_1?pf_rd_p=413864201&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0812521390&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1EXDTPNQ4YWZSR1NMTYM) series. Sword and sorcery, gritty dark fantasy. Towers, wizards, blood & guts...

If you are a cat lover (and who isn't) there is a small good series (http://www.amazon.com/Wild-Road-Gabriel-King/dp/0345423038/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243604657&sr=1-2) by Gabriel King. It starts with a book called "The Wild Road."
Cat fantasy...

Recently finished and highly recommend Water For Elephants (http://www.amazon.com/Water-Elephants-Novel-Sara-Gruen/dp/1565125606/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243604750&sr=1-1).
Circus train life set in the 1930's...

Finally, recently read "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle (http://www.amazon.com/Story-Edgar-Sawtelle-Novel-Oprah/dp/0061768065/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243604815&sr=1-1)" and found it to be a great, tragic read.
Dogs and a tragic family...

Jean
05-29-2009, 06:33 AM
Dear friends:

we have quite a lot of threads dedicated, in a way or other, to reading recommendations. This thread is going to be merged soon, most likely with that one (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=1356).

flaggwalkstheline
05-29-2009, 06:52 AM
Try the necroscope series by Brian Lumley its an intoxicating blend of vampires, spies and psychics with really wel told action

CyberGhostface
05-29-2009, 12:52 PM
George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. Definitely one of the best series I have ever read.

Matt
05-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Pillars of the Earth or Drood would be my picks, great books.

tamez
05-29-2009, 03:19 PM
I was thinking about Hearts in Atlantis, since that was the only book that had a strong reference in the DT series that I have not read yet.

Hearts in Atlantis is good. :)

do Hearts in Atlantis
William Hurt does a WONDERFUL performance
and Low Men in Yellow Coats is a great story.

of course the best thing
about this audiobook is
you get to hear Stephen King read the title story. :excited:

fernandito
05-29-2009, 07:47 PM
George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series. Definitely one of the best series I have ever read.

I endorse this post.

obscurejude
06-02-2009, 05:27 AM
Try the necroscope series by Brian Lumley its an intoxicating blend of vampires, spies and psychics with really wel told action

Are you reading from the back of a cereal box or something? :rofl:

CyberGhostface
06-12-2009, 07:26 PM
I have a friend who is going to be babysitting my little brother this week. Last time I gave her Eyes of the Dragon and Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, both of which she liked. She's my age (19-20), but I don't think she'd like the hardcore stuff (like Desperation/Regulators).

I was thinking of giving her The Shining, which is pretty scary but not that gory. Any other recommendations? I have most but not all of King's stuff.

<ô> bango skank <ô>
06-12-2009, 07:36 PM
long walk. cant remember which book its in but it made me an SK fan. richy's books?

candy
06-13-2009, 07:31 AM
i think carrie is a good one for a 19 year old girl:evil:

or on a personal front if she would not like the hard core ones, either short story four past midnight or bag of bones:clap:

dogbert
06-13-2009, 09:59 AM
long walk. cant remember which book its in but it made me an SK fan. richy's books?

yep long walk is one of the bachman books, and is awesome :)

I also loved the running man - the movie version is stupidly camp now but the book is pretty gritty and dark :)

flaggwalkstheline
06-13-2009, 11:40 AM
She's my age (19-20), but I don't think she'd like the hardcore stuff (like Desperation/Regulators).

I was thinking of giving her The Shining, which is pretty scary but not that gory. Any other recommendations? I have most but not all of King's stuff.

My immediete response to questions like this is "read the regulators"

howsabout firestarter?

Sam
06-13-2009, 12:58 PM
Excellent choice. Firestarter isn't explicitly horrific, but it's a great read. Duma Key comes to mind as another great read.

Heather19
06-13-2009, 01:29 PM
The Body

turtlex
06-13-2009, 01:36 PM
I would say The Stand.

Sam
06-13-2009, 03:05 PM
I agree that The Stand is a GREAT read, but it does have strong elements of gore in it in places.

CyberGhostface
06-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. In the end, though, I gave her The Shining and I'll see how that goes from there. Its pretty restrained when compared to King's other work.

Twilights Fire
06-19-2009, 12:51 PM
I've got a problem;

I am very interested in a lot of books and hearing people talk about books, reading up on forums about books and doing some online book shopping doesn't really help...

I just have so many books on my "to read" list that I don't know where to begin.. And my local online book supplier keeps sending me irresistible book offers: 3 english books for 25 euro's... I can't stop buying them :-)

I've got the following pile lying around;

Richard Adams - Shardik
Charles Darwin - The origin of the species
Larry Niven - Ringworld
William Golding - Lord of the flies
Ian M. Banks - Consider Phlebas
Anthony Kiedis - Scar Tissue (Auto biography lead singer Red hot chili peppers)
William Gibson - Neuromancer
Neil Gaiman - American Gods
H.G. Wells - The war of the worlds
H.G Wells - The time machine
Douglas Adams - The Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy

Random I know :-)

I've got no clue which one to read first.... The problem is I do want to read them all but I can't choose which one to pick next because I want to read them all simultaneously
And the pile is getting bigger.. I can at least name 50 books I want to read ASAP....

Dear DT.com members, help me choose :-)

Matt
06-19-2009, 01:03 PM
This is an age old question and every time I have read it the answer always boils down to the same thing. You must follow your heart and get into what feels good at the time.

It's impossible for people to say what would strike your fancy at any given time and those books are so diverse, it would be hard to even nail it down if someone did. :couple:

flaggwalkstheline
06-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Time Machine

If you have not read it, do so
It's incredible
For a book as old that one to kick as much ass as it does is a phenomenal feat
war of the worlds, while good, doesnt hold up as well

ola
06-19-2009, 10:12 PM
William Gibson - Neuromancer

I recommend this one.

Hitchhiker's Guide if you'd like to laugh. :)

Letti
06-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Put all the titles on pieces of paper in a hat and pull one out.
This is the best advice I can give.

Tristan
06-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Wow, that is pretty random. I just bought the last Pendragon book and am trying to finish it. I've been reading those things for years, hah.

Jean
06-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Twilights Fire: if you are a fast reader, it doesn't matter where you begin. Just do what Nikolett said, and you'll be through the whole pile before you know what hit you. Unfortunately, books go at a speed of light.

By the way, this thread is going to be merged, like, right now. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

mystima
06-20-2009, 03:46 AM
A couple of books i have read over the years that i have liked are as follows:

The Maximum Ride series by James Patterson.
It's about a group of genetically altered kids who escape the lab to save the world from bad scientist...Might be where the series Dark Angel came from.

Abarat by Clive Barker
Days of Magic Nights of War also by Clive Barker

Both of these series are from Anne McCaffrey
The Freedom series: Which is about an invasion of earth and the hardships the peope have trying to take back their planet.
Freedom's Landing
Freedom's Choice
Freedom's Challenge
Freedom's Ransom
The PeTayBee series: which is about a disabled combat vet that is sent there to spy on the people of that world and is healed by the planet and becomes a resident of the planet.
the powers that be
power lines
power play
Changelings
Maelstrom
Deluge

candy
06-20-2009, 05:41 AM
i read the maximum ride too, it was very good. in fact didnt realise it was aimed at the teen market till i finished it and it was talking about other books teens may be interested in:wtf:

there was a follow up book called the lake house, while it didn't have the same 'oo' factor as you knew they could fly it was still very good. i'd certainly recomend these books.

Jean
03-30-2012, 09:29 AM
to Doctor Dodge:

Umberto Eco. The Name of the Rose
it's a classic you're gonna love

Umberto Eco. Foucault's Pendulum
and this is a fantastic thing youre gonna adore, if you make it through the first chapter!!

which reminds me - I'll go leave another recommendation to you, in the Movie Recommendations thread

beam*seeker
04-01-2012, 08:29 AM
to Doctor Dodge:

and this is a fantastic thing youre gonna adore, if you make it through the first chapter!!

which reminds me - I'll go leave another recommendation to you, in the Movie Recommendations thread

I endorse anything by Umberto Eco, he is such a great writer. but especially those two novels.

For you folks who like historical fiction with sex and violence (not to mention a totally Charles Dickens type of plot twist(s) and hero) I recommend anything by Gary Jennings, but especially Aztec and Aztec Autumn.

I am about to finish Song of Ice and Fire, #5 (Dance with Dragons) and need something to read until the next chronicle comes out. I have a feeling nothing is going to do it for me in terms of Fantasy as anything else is going to pale. I like Neil Gaiman but I have read most of his best (although I guess it has been long enough I could do a re-read). I would love recs for anything along that line (but I am guessing it would be hard to come up with soemthing). I loved American Gods and Good Omens. (I have read Stardust as well). Anything come to mind to those who have loved Fire & Ice and American Gods? I can do Sci Fi but no more fantasy fiction. I am full up already. A nice space scifi series could be good...

harrison ryan
04-01-2012, 08:31 AM
I endorse anything by Umberto Eco, he is such a great writer. but especially those two novels.

For you folks who like historical fiction with sex and violence (not to mention a totally Charles Dickens type of plot twist(s) and hero) I recommend anything by Gary Jennings, but especially Aztec and Aztec Autumn.

I am about to finish Song of Ice and Fire, #5 (Dance with Dragons) and need something to read until the next chronicle comes out. I have a feeling nothing is going to do it for me in terms of Fantasy as anything else is going to pale. I like Neil Gaiman but I have read most of his best (although I guess it has been long enough I could do a re-read). I would love recs for anything along that line (but I am guessing it would be hard to come up with soemthing). I loved American Gods and Good Omens. (I have read Stardust as well). Anything come to mind to those who have loved Fire & Ice and American Gods? I can do Sci Fi but no more fantasy fiction. I am full up already. A nice space scifi series could be good...

I really liked Ender's Game, and the first Bean sequel, Ender's Shadow. You might give those a day in court.

OchrisO
04-07-2012, 10:20 PM
to Doctor Dodge:

In the realm of Space SciFi, I have to throw in Old Man's War and it's sequels, The Ghost Brigades, The Last Colony and Zoe's Tale. I overlooked John Scalzi for a long time and am pretty sad that I did. This series is amazingly good and makes me want to go out and get all of his other stuff. The series starts with a man named John Perry who joins the Colonial Defense Force on his 75th birthday. When you join, you leave earth and they make you young again. No one who joins is ever allowed to return to Earth again, so no one is certain how they do it. I simply can't recommend this series enough.

In terms of a big fantasy series, you might look into The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. It won't replace A Song of Ice and Fire as you favorite or anything, but it is still an excellent series in my opinion. The first book is Wizard's First Rule. If I remember correctly, this held Erin's favorite fantasy series spot prior to her reading A Song of Ice and Fire.

In the aftermath of the brutal murder of his father, a mysterious woman, Kahlan Amnell, appears in Richard Cypher's forest sanctuary seeking help ... and more. His world, his very beliefs, are shattered when ancient debts come due with thundering violence.
In their darkest hour, hunted relentlessly, tormented by treachery and loss, Kahlan calls upon Richard to reach beyond his sword-- to invoke within himself something more noble. Neither knows that the rules of battle have just changed ... or that their time has run out.
This is the beginning. One book. One Rule. Witness the birth of a legend.

John Blaze
04-10-2012, 07:21 AM
I really liked Ender's Game, and the first Bean sequel, Ender's Shadow. You might give those a day in court.+1

to Doctor Dodge:

I am about to finish Song of Ice and Fire, #5 (Dance with Dragons) and need something to read until the next chronicle comes out. I have a feeling nothing is going to do it for me in terms of Fantasy as anything else is going to pale. I like Neil Gaiman but I have read most of his best (although I guess it has been long enough I could do a re-read). I would love recs for anything along that line (but I am guessing it would be hard to come up with soemthing). I loved American Gods and Good Omens. (I have read Stardust as well). Anything come to mind to those who have loved Fire & Ice and American Gods? I can do Sci Fi but no more fantasy fiction. I am full up already. A nice space scifi series could be good... Have you read Anansi Boys? Also, if you like Jennings, have you read the Marco Polo one? I think it's alled The Journeyer. Also, try Stephen Lawhead's King Raven trilogy, it was reccomended to me by Chris, and although not quite as lively as Jennings, still a good read. Also, if you haven't already read Shogun, try that. It's easily as good as Jennings, if not better. I haven't tried any of the author's other books, but he has some other historical fiction asia books. Pearl S Buck's The Good Earth is a great read, albeit a bit dated.

beam*seeker
04-11-2012, 05:59 AM
Nice recs--I will get on them right after my ASOFAI reread. (could not resist). I gotta write these down.

John Blaze
04-11-2012, 07:24 AM
Thanks. I loved Aztec, and I have all the Aztec books to date, although the newer ones leave something to be desired. Only the first 2 were done completely by him, and those are my faves. Raptor I thought was ok, but Spangle and The Journeyer were great.