PDA

View Full Version : Call the Waaahmbulance; Phil Jackson Cries Foul

Ruthful
06-09-2008, 03:09 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2008/06/09/theyre_in_foul_mood/

By halftime, the differential in free throw numbers between the Lakers and Celtics was staggering.

The Celtics made 19 trips to the line, the Lakers 2.

The final margin in free throw attempts was 38-10 in favor of the Celtics. The numbers prompted some strong words from Lakers coach Phil Jackson and sarcasm from Kobe Bryant.

"I think my players got fouled," said Jackson. "I have no question about the fact that my players got fouled but didn't get to the line. Specifically, I can enumerate a few things, but I'm not going to get into that. I don't want to get into a dispute with those situations.

"It's the illusion that's created. The referees referee an illusion. Our guys look like maybe the ball was partially stripped when they were getting raked or whatever was happening, but it was in the crowd, so the referees have to let that type of thing go.

"We have to create the spacing that gives the right impression, and that will have to get accomplished."

Jackson credited the aggressiveness of the Celtics leading to more trips to the foul line. When Bryant was asked about the free throw disparity, he said, "I didn't notice it." Then he gave a look that underscored his sarcasm...

jayson
06-09-2008, 03:18 PM
While several other factors [like an inability to play defense] contributed to the Lakers' loss, I do think the officiating was pretty one-sided. I don't think it's any kind of conspiracy or anything, but the Celtics got the benefit of a lot more calls than the Lakers did. That said, the Lakers would likely still have lost because they can't play defense.

Ruthful
06-09-2008, 03:37 PM
I don't know, I can't even watch NBC any more on my crappy TV set, but this just strikes me as patented Phil Jackson bitching.

He is like a rich supermodel, in perfect health, who bitches because she has a pimple on her ass. Oh man, I can't stand Phil Jackson or The Lakers.

fernandito
06-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Even though I don't follow basketball much, I gotta claim Lakers - They're from L.AAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

:cyclops:

Ruthful
06-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Boo.

Ruthful
06-09-2008, 05:28 PM
For the record, I AM NOT a fan of the Boston Celtics-never have been. I do, however, admire Doc Rivers-brief though his career with my beloved New York Knicks might have been-and like KG. I'm also a Shaq groupie-purchased "Shaq Attaq" when it was released, and still have the hardcover copy on my bookshelf-who reflexively vomits in rage at the thought that Kobe Bryant could win any championship on his own. I also cringe at the idea of Phil Jackson-the most overrated head coach in the history of the NBA-eclipsing Red Auerbach.

Rjeso
06-10-2008, 04:34 AM
Phil Jackson + Kobe Bryant = Jackasses.

Most of us knew this already.

Arthur Heath
06-10-2008, 08:52 AM
I don't know, I can't even watch NBC any more on my crappy TV set, but this just strikes me as patented Phil Jackson bitching.

He is like a rich supermodel, in perfect health, who bitches because she has a pimple on her ass. Oh man, I can't stand Phil Jackson or The Lakers.

The Finals are on ABC. And over the years how many times has Kobe, Shaq and/or the Lakers gotten call their way. Many. Its just the nature of the beast. Calls go one way or another mostly depending on the home team and how big the star may be. How could it be a conspiracy? The Lakers are the most marketable team in the NBA. Why would TV execs/refs want to swing it one way or another. Anyways it the coaches job to bring these things up and Phil, although I hate the Lakers, was in the right to do so at the press conference. I like how Kobe has distanced himself from complaining about the refs as that sort of thing gets into the younger players head and could potentially affect their level of play in future games.

Rjeso
06-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Phil Jackson + Kobe Bryant = Jackasses.

Most of us knew this already.

What did Kobe do? He didn't say anything about the refs.

Phil has every right to be pissed about it. If it were the other way around, the Laker haters would be complaining about the Lakers getting an unfair advantage.

Dude, I'm not talking about just this game. I'm speaking in generalities. Kobe is generally a smarmy douche. So is Phil Jackson.

fernandito
06-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Speaking of Laker haters!

:rolleyes:

Arthur Heath
06-10-2008, 10:04 AM
The Lakers have knocked my boys (Blazers) out of the playoffs 9 times in the last 20 years. I hate the Lakers. Having said that, when you are (currently) the best basketball player in the world, as Kobe is, you have to have a demeanor, a swagger an arrogance in your step. Michael had it. He never backed down from anyone. Its easy to hate Kobe, as I do, but you do have to respect his game.

jayson
06-10-2008, 10:08 AM
For the record, I AM NOT a fan of the Boston Celtics-never have been. I do, however, admire Doc Rivers-brief though his career with my beloved New York Knicks might have been-and like KG. I'm also a Shaq groupie-purchased "Shaq Attaq" when it was released, and still have the hardcover copy on my bookshelf-who reflexively vomits in rage at the thought that Kobe Bryant could win any championship on his own. I also cringe at the idea of Phil Jackson-the most overrated head coach in the history of the NBA-eclipsing Red Auerbach.

As another Knicks fan I should point out that Jackson played for the Knicks as well. That said, I like Doc much better and agree that Jackson is overrated. Of course he won titles with Michael Jordan in his prime, anybody could have. That said, I could never root for a Boston team, though they are clearly dominating this series so far, particularly on the boards. If LA can't learn to rebound in a real hurry, this series will be over in two more games.

fernandito
06-10-2008, 10:13 AM
When you are (currently) the best basketball player in the world, as Kobe is, you have to have a demeanor, a swagger an arrogance in your step. Michael had it. He never backed down from anyone. Its easy to hate Kobe, as I do, but you do have to respect his game.

I'm the same way with Maradona (soccer). I absolutely despise him as a person, but I can't deny that he's one of the best players to ever step out into the pitch.

Rjeso
06-10-2008, 10:17 AM

Nah, I'm not a Laker hater, I'm a Kobe and Jackson hater. I'm fine with the rest of the team.

Kobe has the numbers he has because he's a ballhog. I think KG is the best player out there. Him or Nowitzki, J.Kidd, etc. Those are the guys I can respect.

Ruthful
06-10-2008, 10:49 AM

Five seasons of not making playoffs in their entire history.

FIVE LOUSY SEASONS!

And you would think those seasons were the end of the world.

Don't even get me started on those pans to Jack Nicholson's balding, pot-bellied carcass every five seconds, as if he's an asst. coach on the bench with Kurt Rambis and Kareem.

:panic:

Rjeso
06-10-2008, 11:07 AM
:lol:

High five, Ruthful. High five.

ayoung323
06-10-2008, 01:13 PM
I'm with Rjeso, I simply can't stand Jackson and Kobe. The rest of the team I don't mind.

Matticus-Finch
07-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Hahah...Kobe IS a douche.

*High Fives Rjeso*

Nice dude.