PDA

View Full Version : How could you handle your own death? *MAIN spoilers*

Letti
06-09-2008, 03:24 AM
We have some characters in the series who die in the story but in fact they survive it and they can remember it. (Jake.. Callahan..)
If you die and you lose all your memories and you get another life.. with a new personality is one thing (reincarnation). To die and to remember it is another.
So my question is:
How could you handle if you died but you wake up in another world with all your memories in your head?
Would you get insane?
Would you believe it at all?
Would you think it's just a dream?
Could you accept it easily?

I am keen on your thoughts, my friends.

ManOfWesternesse
06-09-2008, 03:35 AM
Ah, another soul-searching Letti-question!

Actually, it's an interesting one this. I think the reality of it would set in quite quickly and I'd get over the 'its a dream' thing pretty soon. Yes I'd come to accept it, but in truth not easily because leaving your old life behind (and family especially) would be damn hard. Would probably go forward on the basis that somewhere there might be a route back to my old life. And if not then yes, I think I'd accept it and get on with whatever the 'new' life had to offer.

We readers/fans of Fantasy might have an advantage in such a scenario, it could be much more difficult for someone who's never read of/thought of such possibilities?

mia/susannah
06-09-2008, 04:00 AM
Good Question Letti. I don't know how I would handle that. I would probably think it had all been a dream because it would be hard if I thought it had been real and then all of a sudden I no longer had my girls in my life.

Letti
06-09-2008, 04:12 AM
I love the soul-searching questions. :)
Your answer tells us (all your answers do) about a really strong man, Brian.
And I can understand your answer easily, mia.

Odetta
06-09-2008, 06:35 AM
I would go insane... of course, that's not a far stretch from where I am at the moment, so it's the most logical choice.

Matt
06-09-2008, 06:43 AM
I'd go insane because I would know I had lost my Dora.

I could not live a day without that sweet woman.

Letti
06-09-2008, 06:51 AM

Wouldn't you try to get back like Brian?

sarah
06-09-2008, 06:55 AM
I think for me it would be hard to believe and I would think I've gone crazy. Hopefully it wouldn't take long for me to accept it and move forward. After everything I've read and watched it would be fun to have that opportunity to live like that.

Matt
06-09-2008, 07:02 AM

Wouldn't you try to get back like Brian?

To her somehow? With every fiber of my being until I dropped dead in that alien world.

Ves'Ka Gan
06-09-2008, 10:20 AM
I tend to be very adaptable to new-life situations. I think at first it would be really difficult to believe, and then once I embraced it, would be very hard to think my "old" life was over. But in the end, give me a few weeks and I'd probably be trucking right along.

Jean
06-09-2008, 12:35 PM
How could you handle if you died but you wake up in another world with all your memories in your head?
I hope I am prepared for it.

Tiffany
06-09-2008, 12:50 PM
I think it'd feel a little like going crazy but at the same time, I like to think I could adapt.
Going from small-town Texas to big-city Canada was a pretty big jump and I've been just dandy.

It wouldn't be quite the same thing but maybe it'd be exhilarating, who knows?

If I'm already dead in one world, there's not much I can do about it. There are people I'd miss and grieve for. I'd feel pain at having lost them but if there's nothin' can be done, why not enjoy being alive in a new place?

It could be exciting!

Matt
06-09-2008, 02:00 PM
I wouldn't care about anyone but Dora and not having her there would make the thing suck even if the whole new world was made of pot and hot box. :lol:

mia/susannah
06-09-2008, 02:08 PM
I think it'd feel a little like going crazy but at the same time, I like to think I could adapt.
Going from small-town Texas to big-city Canada was a pretty big jump and I've been just dandy.

If I'm already dead in one world, there's not much I can do about it. There are people I'd miss and grieve for. I'd feel pain at having lost them but if there's nothin' can be done, why not enjoy being alive in a new place?

It could be exciting!

I understand what you are saying. And if I had no choice and everyone including my children thought I was dead, well I would go on the best I could but it would be very hard without my girls

Ves'Ka Gan
06-09-2008, 04:17 PM
I wouldn't care about anyone but Dora and not having her there would make the thing suck even if the whole new world was made of pot and hot box. :lol:

:rofl: OMG, Matt, that is priceless. I can only hope my guy feels the same way about me as you do your Dora!

Plus you used the word "box"....my favorite of the euphamisms.

Tiffany
06-09-2008, 05:41 PM

It could be exciting!

I understand what you are saying. And if I had no choice and everyone including my children thought I was dead, well I would go on the best I could but it would be very hard without my girls

In quiet moments, it'd be hard not to reflect on those you loved in your previous life and how they must be grieving for you just as you're grieving for them...

...on the other hand, so much to explore!

Jean
06-09-2008, 11:08 PM
no one would even notice I was gone.
we might, now that you started posting herehttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif

Letti
06-09-2008, 11:27 PM
Can we call it "death" at all if we have all our memories and our old body?

The Lady of Shadows
06-10-2008, 02:41 AM
you know, this is an interesting question for me because i actually did die once. for almost a full minute. spent three days in a coma. and i sometimes find myself wondering if this life really is real or if i'm still somewhere else and not really here at all.

i have dreams sometimes that i'm back in that other life. and in those dreams i'm fighting, trying to convince everyone that the life i'm living (in the dreams) is wrong. that it's over and i'm supposed to be somewhere else, with someone else, living a different life. that i'm a different person now, with a different purpose.

nobody listens to me though. and i always wake up crying. and those are the times i really understand what jake was going through. not knowing what's real and what isn't. not being able to get one side of your mind to shut up and finally let go. feeling the pull of both sides and wondering which will win out. it's freaky. and terrifying. and i feel for him, i really do.

ManOfWesternesse
06-10-2008, 02:58 AM
...i have dreams sometimes that i'm back in that other life....

Is it a specific 'other life' though, that you remember from the coma, or is it a dream about what it might have been? (if you see what I mean? - I'm wondering if you 'remember' your time in the coma).

Matt
06-10-2008, 06:37 AM

:rofl: OMG, Matt, that is priceless. I can only hope my guy feels the same way about me as you do your Dora!

Plus you used the word "box"....my favorite of the euphamisms.

:lol:--that is my most favorite way of referring to it too. :wub:

I can only say any world without her would not be the place for me for sure.

theBeamisHome
06-10-2008, 06:40 AM
I think I would do what Jake did cuz I believer those voices would be there and I'd make them stop.. Then afterwards knowing that yes, I did die, I'd just be like 'oh well, i'm not dead anymore.' Can't live in the past right? lol

LemurJones
06-10-2008, 12:03 PM
I actually was writing a story where this happened to me and a group of my friends, although this was back before I started reading DT. It's actually a fanfiction.

A lot of the story is about the differences between the four of us- one person tried to just coast on through and let things happen, one person didn't want to even know about our new world and wanted to try everything he could to get back home, one person saw that we had something to accomplish and thought that accomplishing it would make things right... and then there was me, who totally threw myself into this new world and tried to be the person that I thought that new world had made me. A big part of the story was about how the differences between how we reacted to this, and how our differences eventually drove us apart. (Me and the guy who wanted to go home, for instance, almost end up killing each other.)

Four years ago, when I was working on that story, that's pretty much how I would have felt if I'd died and then woke up in my body in a different world, with all of my memories. I would have been desperately sad and missed my family and everything that was familiar, but I think I would have gone overboard to become the person I thought I was supposed to be, to change into what the new world wanted or needed from me.

Things are different now.

I can't imagine being content with living in another world, knowing that my friends and family would be frantic worrying about me and wondering where their pregnant lemur went. I can't imagine not doing everything I could do to get back home.

...in the story, as it turned out, I ended up alone and discovering the truth about if we could ever go back. It turned out that we only turned up in the world we did because of dumb luck and the fact that, in less than a fraction of a second, the universe needed to fill a void. We had been "copied" to replace four people from that world who had died minutes before their time, but because we weren't those same people, we ended up living through what would have killed them. I ended up not telling the rest of my friends that either we were the copies, or the people who got to live out the rest of our "real" lives were.

alinda
06-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Letti, I think I have some questions for you,
1) If "I " am dead, can I have some time in spirit again?
2) Is it mandatory to have this new body,(life) or can I...
have my spirit body, and just go on? If I can have my spirit
body, Adios amigos I am freee at last, and wouldnt miss
a thing here....Id see you all later anyway!!
3) Am I misinterpreting your meaning dear?

Tiffany
06-10-2008, 03:30 PM
you know, this is an interesting question for me because i actually did die once. for almost a full minute. spent three days in a coma. and i sometimes find myself wondering if this life really is real or if i'm still somewhere else and not really here at all.

i have dreams sometimes that i'm back in that other life. and in those dreams i'm fighting, trying to convince everyone that the life i'm living (in the dreams) is wrong. that it's over and i'm supposed to be somewhere else, with someone else, living a different life. that i'm a different person now, with a different purpose.

nobody listens to me though. and i always wake up crying. and those are the times i really understand what jake was going through. not knowing what's real and what isn't. not being able to get one side of your mind to shut up and finally let go. feeling the pull of both sides and wondering which will win out. it's freaky. and terrifying. and i feel for him, i really do.

Holy shit. What a mind-fuck.
(I have a really dirty mouth).

That must be exactly what Jake felt like.

The Lady of Shadows
06-10-2008, 05:00 PM
...i have dreams sometimes that i'm back in that other life....

Is it a specific 'other life' though, that you remember from the coma, or is it a dream about what it might have been? (if you see what I mean? - I'm wondering if you 'remember' your time in the coma).

the specific other life is the one i went through as a child and the one i lived after moving where i am now immediately after. but then things changed and got better. but in my dreams, it's all back to that even though i know it's not and i'm trying to get back to this life - and i can't.

and yes, i do remember parts of the coma. which is extremely freaky in-and-of itself.

[
Holy shit. What a mind-fuck.
(I have a really dirty mouth).

That must be exactly what Jake felt like.

i think that's why i connect with jake so much. and please, i have a seriously dirty mouth. don't believe me, go read a few of my posts in the displeased and bothered thread. i'm the queen of the word "fuck" on and offline. :couple:

Ves'Ka Gan
06-10-2008, 10:45 PM
i think that's why i connect with jake so much. and please, i have a seriously dirty mouth. don't believe me, go read a few of my posts in the displeased and bothered thread. i'm the queen of the word "fuck" on and offline. :couple:

I was going to post about how insane your previous posts about the coma were. ANd how interesting it was that you could remember parts of being in the coma...but then you said this.

So now I bow in your presence, Your Majesty.

Jean
06-10-2008, 11:21 PM
I can't imagine being content with living in another world, knowing that my friends and family would be frantic worrying about me
::feels the same::
::bearhugs lemur::

Letti
06-11-2008, 04:13 AM
For my part I don't think I would ever believe it... or I would think my previous was just a dream... my Moon and all the presents of my life (my parents, my friends) I think I would think I have just dreamt them.
Without death I am afraid of it time to time.

Letti
06-11-2008, 04:22 AM
Letti, I think I have some questions for you,
1) If "I " am dead, can I have some time in spirit again?
2) Is it mandatory to have this new body,(life) or can I...
have my spirit body, and just go on? If I can have my spirit
body, Adios amigos I am freee at last, and wouldnt miss
a thing here....Id see you all later anyway!!
3) Am I misinterpreting your meaning dear?

I mean a death like Jake's or Callahan's. When you wake up in another world with all your memories in your head and with a healthy body (the same body you had before and you died with). So you must go on, you don't get free.
But I am interested in all your thoughts, Linda.

I actually was writing a story where this happened to me and a group of my friends, although this was back before I started reading DT. It's actually a fanfiction.

A lot of the story is about the differences between the four of us- one person tried to just coast on through and let things happen, one person didn't want to even know about our new world and wanted to try everything he could to get back home, one person saw that we had something to accomplish and thought that accomplishing it would make things right... and then there was me, who totally threw myself into this new world and tried to be the person that I thought that new world had made me. A big part of the story was about how the differences between how we reacted to this, and how our differences eventually drove us apart. (Me and the guy who wanted to go home, for instance, almost end up killing each other.)

Four years ago, when I was working on that story, that's pretty much how I would have felt if I'd died and then woke up in my body in a different world, with all of my memories. I would have been desperately sad and missed my family and everything that was familiar, but I think I would have gone overboard to become the person I thought I was supposed to be, to change into what the new world wanted or needed from me.

Things are different now.

I can't imagine being content with living in another world, knowing that my friends and family would be frantic worrying about me and wondering where their pregnant lemur went. I can't imagine not doing everything I could do to get back home.

...in the story, as it turned out, I ended up alone and discovering the truth about if we could ever go back. It turned out that we only turned up in the world we did because of dumb luck and the fact that, in less than a fraction of a second, the universe needed to fill a void. We had been "copied" to replace four people from that world who had died minutes before their time, but because we weren't those same people, we ended up living through what would have killed them. I ended up not telling the rest of my friends that either we were the copies, or the people who got to live out the rest of our "real" lives were.

Sharon, it sounds damn interesting. Wow. Do you have it anywhere? I would read it with pleasure if you didn't mind showing it.

LemurJones
06-11-2008, 03:51 PM
*lemurkiss bear*

Meow, Letti. To tell you the truth, it's not very good. I will PM it to you, but I never got around to typing most of it up from the notes I had. It is a fanfiction of Star Wars : Knights of the Old Republic, which is a video game I like. I plan on writing a story like that which is not a fanfiction, though, and I'll gladly share that too.

obscurejude
06-11-2008, 05:04 PM
For me, and this is consistent with Roland, it would depend on what kind of death I experienced. For Aristotle, a good death is one which is consistent with a life spent pursuing virtue telelogically. If I died, in the midst of that pursuit, I think I would be satisfied, even if the death wasn't pleasant. Dying in the midst of a shameful moment, I suppose I would regret every second of everyday, a perpetual purgatory.

razz
06-11-2008, 05:16 PM
well if i were to die an wake up in the way station, i'd think something along the lines of "so this must be hell. God is SUCH a prick!"

Daghain
06-11-2008, 09:04 PM
*Cold-hearted bitch alert*

I'm alive. I honestly would not care where or when I was.

I'm alive. Yeah, I'd miss some people, but hey *I'm ALIVE*.

Downside? I don't think so. I think it would be 6 different kinds of cool to be in a totally different world. Sign me up!

The Lady of Shadows
06-12-2008, 06:54 AM
<snip>

fuck. i was hoping you were talking about me. :)

Daghain
06-12-2008, 07:27 AM
Well, I can certainly include you in that, if you want. :lol:

All I can say is I have a very high survival instinct. :D

The Lady of Shadows
06-12-2008, 08:06 AM
you and me both.

Brice
06-12-2008, 08:16 AM
For me, and this is consistent with Roland, it would depend on what kind of death I experienced. For Aristotle, a good death is one which is consistent with a life spent pursuing virtue telelogically. If I died, in the midst of that pursuit, I think I would be satisfied, even if the death wasn't pleasant. Dying in the midst of a shameful moment, I suppose I would regret every second of everyday, a perpetual purgatory.

Then never do anything you'd be ashamed of.

A good life for me is much simpler than it was for old Aristotle. A good life is one where looking back (presuming there is time for such) the good outweighs the bad and the happiness outweighs the misery.

I'm alive. I honestly would not care where or when I was.

I'm alive. Yeah, I'd miss some people, but hey *I'm ALIVE*.

Downside? I don't think so. I think it would be 6 different kinds of cool to be in a totally different world. Sign me up!

This is basically me. I mean I'd miss people alot. The good side of that is you're alive TO miss them.

....or I'd just think the drugs were kicking in again. :lol:

obscurejude
06-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Then never do anything you'd be ashamed of.

That's the goal, but you know how I am. Way too introspective for my own good, but setting the bar high is just me.

Sai Joshua
06-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Honestly Letti, I don't know what I would do, but don't we all die to something at different parts of our lives? I saw a buddy of mine that I haven't seen for at least 15 years or so yesterday. I spent so much time with this guy we were like brothers growing up, but it was just so AWKWARD talking to him. That bond that we had between us had died.

I have been working in a office with a girl for almost a year now and she just got a new job . Last Friday was her last day here. Now this place just sucks, it's like all of the life has been pulled from this place. The way I feel about my job has changed so drastically now that I don't even want to be here. I feel like something has died.

Sorry to rant, but back to your question. I think it would probabaly drive me to the brink of insanity, but not over the cliff. My life has changed so many times that the only thing to do would be to go on. It is what makes us great, the ability to persevere. I cannot imagine not getting to see my new wife or my kids again, but that could happen here at any time, we aren't promised anything. To go on is the greatest thing that we could accomplish

Letti
06-14-2008, 02:07 AM
Honestly Letti, I don't know what I would do, but don't we all die to something at different parts of our lives? I saw a buddy of mine that I haven't seen for at least 15 years or so yesterday. I spent so much time with this guy we were like brothers growing up, but it was just so AWKWARD talking to him. That bond that we had between us had died.

I have been working in a office with a girl for almost a year now and she just got a new job . Last Friday was her last day here. Now this place just sucks, it's like all of the life has been pulled from this place. The way I feel about my job has changed so drastically now that I don't even want to be here. I feel like something has died.

Sorry to rant, but back to your question. I think it would probabaly drive me to the brink of insanity, but not over the cliff. My life has changed so many times that the only thing to do would be to go on. It is what makes us great, the ability to persevere. I cannot imagine not getting to see my new wife or my kids again, but that could happen here at any time, we aren't promised anything. To go on is the greatest thing that we could accomplish

You are right. Death is not the only way to die still I think when your heart stops beating is something else... something that's different from all the other changes in your life.
That's why I popped the question.

(Anyway I hope you can find some sunshine in your work soon.)

Darkthoughts
06-14-2008, 06:23 AM
I'd embrace it - the thought of walking off down the road one day and never coming back really appeals to me sometimes (mostly when its raining hard, then I like to go out because the streets are empty and its kinda surreal, so i think about this sort of stuff.)

I don't think you're cold hearted Daggers, I just think you're realistic and practical...like me :D

Brice
06-14-2008, 07:33 AM
I'd embrace it - the thought of walking off down the road one day and never coming back really appeals to me sometimes (mostly when its raining hard, then I like to go out because the streets are empty and its kinda surreal, so i think about this sort of stuff.)

I don't think you're cold hearted Daggers, I just think you're realistic and practical...like me :D

I think of the same sort of things. When I was younger I always wanted to fake my own death too. :lol:

Darkthoughts
06-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Ha!! Freaky!! My friend and I (when we were 18/19) scared the crap out of ourselves planning just that and then suddenly a load of weird shit happened (partly induced by weed and alcohol :lol: ) - remind me to tell you about it sometime ;)