PDA

View Full Version : Post count

B Rag
05-20-2007, 09:00 AM
For some reason it keeps showing my post count as 5, even though its higher than that. Is there a reason for that, or is it just some kind of error?

Jean
05-20-2007, 09:07 AM
It depends on the forums. Posting in some doesn't affect your post count.

(glad you're here, B Rag, and with the same scary avatar!)

Matt
05-20-2007, 09:08 AM
Same here, I love that guy. :D

Yep, it was decided during development that any of the "off topic" forums and subforums would not record postcount.

B Rag
05-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Aw jeez, my post count will probably never even reach 3 digits. :P

sarajean
05-20-2007, 09:34 AM
Aw jeez, my post count will probably never even reach 3 digits. :P

one of the reasons it was done was to encourage on topic discussion.

ZoNeSeeK
05-20-2007, 05:28 PM
You'll just have to play alot in riddles B Rag :P

B Rag
05-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Exactly which forums are considered off topic? Some of them are obvious, such as the ones that actually say "Off Topic" in their description, but which other ones are?

Matt
05-21-2007, 04:44 PM
I'll have to check but I think its just those two and Fedic. :D

Bethany
05-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Post count, Schmost count.

Randall Flagg
05-21-2007, 07:30 PM
Don't worry.
They say that size doesn't matter-it does.
Post count however, really doesn't matter-it's the cogent thoughts and posts that are needed.

B Rag
05-21-2007, 08:07 PM
Yes, but still...

Also, I think Odd's Lane doesn't count, since thats where most of my posts are.

Brice
05-21-2007, 08:48 PM
Yes, but still...

I may be wrong on this but I believe games don't count but riddles do.

Matt
05-22-2007, 05:55 AM
I will check into which is which today and make a list for everyone. Its a real easy thing to see on the back end. :rock:

sarah
05-22-2007, 07:33 AM
Yes, but still...

B-Rag you shouldn't worry. all is good. With your posts everyone will know you better. It isn't the number it's what you say that will make people know you and remember you. I've already been following you around a bit and think you're quite funny and on the mark. Good times :D

Jorge
05-22-2007, 07:35 AM
That's some high praise from an awesome person, B Rag. You should be proud. :D

Rjeso
05-22-2007, 07:40 AM
All these places where posts don't count and I'm still finding a way to whore it up. Sigh.

Why you people got to be so fun to talk to? Huh?

B-Rag is hilarious.

sarah
05-22-2007, 07:57 AM
Thank Jorge :blush: you're not so bad yourself :wub:

Matt
05-22-2007, 08:05 AM
Okay.

The only forums that post counts are not recorded are.

Blue Heaven
Dixie Pig
Games sub forum in Odds Lane

Just those three :D

CRinVA
05-22-2007, 09:24 AM
OK I tired to add a signature line to my posts but it is not showing up - what am I doing wrong?

Matt
05-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Hmmm...if you go to your member cp up on the far left. Choose signature options and put it in.

If you made it that for it is probably a little check box when you are in the full post screen that says "show my signature". That may be unchecked.

Let me know if it doesn't work for you.

CRinVA
05-22-2007, 09:31 AM
Thanks

B Rag
05-22-2007, 12:51 PM
Yay, I got complimented! I always thought I might be one of those people that annoys everyone else...

Rjeso
05-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Nope, that role is reserved for me. So back up off it!

;)

Matt
05-22-2007, 12:56 PM
Ha!!

You guys have no idea.

If all the people I have annoyed on the net laid down in the street, it would look like Tull after Roland. :lol:

Jorge
05-22-2007, 07:25 PM
If all the people I have annoyed on the net laid down in the street, you could probably see it from space. And I wouldn't be afraid to run over them when I pull out of my driveway.

Rjeso
05-22-2007, 07:30 PM
Y'all are totally stepping on my thunder. ;)

Aaron
05-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Well, if you were playing either the DT quote game or the DT trivia game, the post will now count toward your post count. The games have been moved to a new sub-forum in The Manni Village called Come Commala, which is specifically for DT/SK games.

B Rag
05-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Hmm... any way we can make it look like PBYG and PAYG are on-topic?

Aaron
05-22-2007, 08:11 PM
:harrier:

Not a chance in hell.

:D

B Rag
05-22-2007, 08:36 PM
:cry:
Not even if we slip in a few vague DT references once every few pages?

MonteGss
05-22-2007, 08:40 PM
Well, if you were playing either the DT quote game or the DT trivia game, the post will now count toward your post count. The games have been moved to a new sub-forum in The Manni Village called Come Commala, which is specifically for DT/SK games.

This is good. :)

sarah
05-22-2007, 08:47 PM

hey man, you just gotta let it go. :couple:

Aaron
05-22-2007, 08:53 PM

Nope, the topic requirements in that forum clearly state that they must be games that actually require thought and/or skill. And if those games make you think that much, then you might want to log off of the internet and work on finishing up that coloring book. Failing kindergarten is a shameful thing.

*doesn't know if that post made any sense at all*

Jean
05-22-2007, 10:12 PM
if all the people I have annoyed jumped simultaneously, there would be earthquake in China!

(looks like an idea for a new game thread. With different "ifs" for each round)

MonteGss
05-22-2007, 10:39 PM

Sorry dude, I agree with the people in charge. This is a DARK TOWER site and post count should be based on DARK TOWER posts.

B Rag
05-23-2007, 02:03 PM

Nope, the topic requirements in that forum clearly state that they must be games that actually require thought and/or skill. And if those games make you think that much, then you might want to log off of the internet and work on finishing up that coloring book. Failing kindergarten is a shameful thing.

So it has nothing to do with whether or not the game is relevant to the Dark Tower?

And also, I don't see how "Who told who" requires any more thought/skill than Word Association or Person Below You Game.

Hannah
05-23-2007, 02:08 PM
If all the people I have annoyed on the net laid down in the street, you could probably see it from space. And I wouldn't be afraid to run over them when I pull out of my driveway.

For some reason that reminded me of that horrific scene in Hotel Rwanda when the guy is

driving over dead bodies

Hannah
05-23-2007, 02:11 PM

So it has nothing to do with whether or not the game is relevant to the Dark Tower?

And also, I don't see how "Who told who" requires any more thought/skill than Word Association or Person Below You Game.

I would think that the who told who thread requires more knowledge/memory of the books than the word association thread. And the Person below you game does not require dt references at all ... so there you have it.

B Rag
05-23-2007, 02:18 PM
I know, but what I said was that they don't require any more thought and skill.

OchrisO
05-23-2007, 02:22 PM
Why do people worry about post count anyway? I couldn't even tell you how many posts I have because I care so little. I just post in threads that interest me, and not worry as to wether or not it clicks a number up. I have never understood the fascination with post count.

B Rag
05-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Well, I know postcount isn't really important, I just didn't want the number to be misleading.

sarajean
05-23-2007, 02:36 PM
if anyone *really* needs to know what your post count is, they can view your post history, and at the bottom of the page, it shows:

Showing results 1 to 25 of 97

for you. so. there you go. it's very simple.

i honestly don't understand why this is still an issue.

MonteGss
05-23-2007, 03:16 PM
:rofl:

VolsToTheWall
05-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Why do people worry about post count anyway? I couldn't even tell you how many posts I have because I care so little. I just post in threads that interest me, and not worry as to wether or not it clicks a number up. I have never understood the fascination with post count.

Ditto. I can understand it when you need a certain amount of posts to have certain privileges, like on a couple of boards I go to, but otherwise I could care less. The different member titles are entertaining though, but that's all.

Rjeso
05-24-2007, 05:43 AM
Yeah, I agree with ya, VttW. I actually belong to a board where post counts have been disabled. Since there are no special areas for people who have a higher post count, it gets rid of the "mine is bigger than yours" syndrome that's so common.

Matt
05-24-2007, 05:54 AM
I thought about doing that here. It would talk a bit of code but mostly I just figured people could simply not worry about it.

I think, for the most part, that is true. :D

fernandito
05-24-2007, 10:08 AM
WHAT?!f? BY THE GODS NO!! ANYTHING BUT MY POST COUNT!!!W65ASDDDXCASDDF

She-Oy
05-24-2007, 12:39 PM
When I hear the words post count...I laugh, I laugh as I remember two particular people on tdt.net who had theirs in the mid 5-digit range...somethings just get ridiculous...LOL

B Rag
05-24-2007, 01:25 PM
I wouldn't mind disabling post count. That, or (dare I say it) disabling Odd's Lane, or making everything count. I just don't like the idea of a post count that doesn't include all posts.

Matt
05-24-2007, 01:29 PM
I totally understand that b rag but I believe you are in the minority on this issue.

The majority just basically ignores post count and I hate to turn it off for the whole board in light of that.

If I disable all of Odd's Lane, then the riddles won't count and they really should. I guess it was basically the best compromise we could come up with.

The board is going to stay how it is for now and we will address this in the future if it becomes an issue.

VolsToTheWall
05-24-2007, 03:49 PM
I thought about doing that here. It would talk a bit of code but mostly I just figured people could simply not worry about it.

I think, for the most part, that is true. :D

I'm sure many of you are familiar with the message board Gamefaqs. I like how their system works. Instead of a post count system, they have a karma point system. For each day that you log onto the site, and have at least one active post somewhere on the site, you are awarded 1 karma point for that day. This way, they allow people to accumulate something, to appease those for which that matters, and at the same time it does nothing to encourage post-whoring since 1 post each day is as good as 100. There is also a ladder of member rankings in place, which award you increasing privileges as you advance, but that is actually needed there since it is such a huge board. I'm sure something like that would be a bitch to code.

B Rag
05-24-2007, 05:18 PM
That does sound like a pretty good idea.
Also, I saw one site where people could be awarded points by people who read their posts, although I think that was mainly based on how beneficial they were. But something like that could be interesting.

Matt
05-24-2007, 06:31 PM
There is a points system on this board and we may figure out some use for it, there are already some ideas in the pipe.

But its kind of in the rear right now with everything else going on.

I think, for the moment, we should just naturally talk Dark Tower and have a good time. That right there is exactly what we are here for.

Spencer
05-24-2007, 06:34 PM
Why do people worry about post count anyway? I couldn't even tell you how many posts I have because I care so little. I just post in threads that interest me, and not worry as to whether or not it clicks a number up. I have never understood the fascination with post count.

I came in to say this same thing. :lol:

MonteGss
05-24-2007, 06:49 PM
I think, for the moment, we should just naturally talk Dark Tower and have a good time. That right there is exactly what we are here for.

Well said, my man. ;)

Daghain
05-25-2007, 12:58 PM
I agree. If you're just posting to up your count, you're probably not saying anything constructive. The emphasis should be on interacting with other DT fans, not how many posts you can rack up in a day. It's not a contest, you know. :)

Bethany
05-25-2007, 02:05 PM
I have begun to think that this ongoing argument is nothing but a ploy to up post counts.

Matt
05-25-2007, 02:06 PM
:rofl:

That is a hell of a thing there.

Randall Flagg
05-25-2007, 02:15 PM
I think it's time to move past the point debate. It has essentially been decided.
I am a member of a board where they used to have a Reputation system. You could award others positive or negative rep points. There were a lot of bizarre things that went on. You didn't have to sign you name to negative points, but there were ways to figure out who negged you.
The board finally threw the thing out.
I say energy here could be spent on other things than changing the post count parameters.

Matt
05-25-2007, 02:17 PM
Thank you Jerome. And it is decided.

This board has all kinds of built in functionality for "points" which I have turned off for now. I believe that every member of the site is equal in the eyes of the admin regardless of post count and that is how we are going to work it.

Spencer or Erin? If you guys would like to use some mod powers, lets move this thing off to the archives when you get a chance. :D

Aaron
05-25-2007, 06:13 PM
ditto

:harrier:

ZoNeSeeK
05-30-2007, 04:11 PM
If you could change "posts" to "minutes wasted at work" then it would probably be more accurate for my situation :)

Daghain
05-30-2007, 04:14 PM
I hear that!

Frunobulax
05-30-2007, 06:48 PM
Have you posted the different levels for postcounts?? Like after you reach x00 what your title is?

Frunobulax
05-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Thank you Jerome. And it is decided.

This board has all kinds of built in functionality for "points" which I have turned off for now. I believe that every member of the site is equal in the eyes of the admin regardless of post count and that is how we are going to work it.

Spencer or Erin? If you guys would like to use some mod powers, lets move this thing off to the archives when you get a chance. :D

Points? I've never heard of points on a forum...

Jon
05-30-2007, 08:54 PM
There is a points system on this board and we may figure out some use for it, there are already some ideas in the pipe.

But its kind of in the rear right now with everything else going on.

OH!!! So many jokes to be made in this post.

"In the pipe" http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a58/jonbug/smilebong-1.gif

""in the rear right now"

(I'll spare you all the pic.)

Jon
05-30-2007, 09:03 PM
Wait!!! did I see last night that my member title was "Micheal Jackson"?

Well, I guess thats better than Kenny G.

Frunobulax
05-30-2007, 10:34 PM
Kenny G......[shudders]
And I wouldn't mind in the pipe...

ZoNeSeeK
05-31-2007, 03:19 AM
Jon, the world would be a dim place without you I think :)

Frunobulax
05-31-2007, 04:45 PM
He's a reason to laugh and post.

Jean
05-31-2007, 10:38 PM
He's a reason to laugh and post.
that line might do for another round in François Villon Contest.

Frunobulax
06-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Mayhap--crib it if you want, Jean.

OchrisO
06-01-2007, 07:35 PM
This conversation seems to have ran it's course, and the choice has been made. I'm going to close the thread.