PDA

View Full Version : James Herbert.

Oshia
05-20-2007, 02:32 AM
James Herbert, our very own King.
If you havent read anything, try Others and 48, two of my faves.

:unsure:

Ruki
05-20-2007, 03:30 AM
i've been thinking about starting to read some of his work. what kind of horror does he write? is it nasty sickening stuff or subtle spookiness?

Jean
05-20-2007, 03:36 AM
when I was in England last time, I, as usual, bought quite a lot of books (mostly in charity shops, like I always do, or in those old book stores at Charing Cross, etc), some of which are Herbert:

The Dark
Lair
Moon
The Ghosts of Sleath

I am going to read them in summer; never got around to reading them before... maybe I felt I should wait before you started this thread.

Oshia
05-20-2007, 11:55 AM
i've been thinking about starting to read some of his work. what kind of horror does he write? is it nasty sickening stuff or subtle spookiness?

Hmm, alot are haunting kinda books.. with a twist.. some like the Rats series are alittle more sickening and some are quite fairytaleish like Once and The Magic Cottage.
48 is actualy based on a world war 2 fallout, well not a nuclear fallout, and its about an american soldier in London.
A very good read, one of my fave books, maybe I enjoyed it more because I lived in London for awhile, I dont know. :)

Fall of Gilead
05-20-2007, 02:33 PM
I read '48, and I thought it was pretty good. I also have Moon on the bookshelf to read sometime.

ManOfWesternesse
05-21-2007, 06:19 AM
I read a lot of Herbert when I was younger.
Pretty good horror it was too.
My favourites, and the 3 I re-read now & again over the years, is the 'Rat Trilogy' as some call 'em :)
- The Rats
- Lair
- Domain
These 3 make a great story - with the third (Domain) being the best of the 3.

Jean
05-21-2007, 06:40 AM
I've just read Moon, it's readable but by no means great. Will now read a few books by other authors, and then get back to Herbert.

Fall of Gilead
05-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Has anyone seen the movie version of Haunted? I haven't read the book but I enjoyed the movie.

shaq
05-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Rats, The Fog & Survivor were my first ventures into horror. As a teenager they were pretty gross and cool at the same time (for me anyway)

Although my favourite James Herbert book was Fluke. Must pick that up again and see if it still reads ok 20 years later.

Cuthbert Allbad
06-06-2007, 09:11 AM
James Herbert, our very own King.
If you havent read anything, try Others and 48, two of my faves.

:unsure:

Wow...haven't read him since the late 70's. Read his trilogy that began with Rats, continued in Liar, and ended in Dominion. He also wrote Fluke about a guy reborn in a dogs body. It was made into a movie.

Ahhhh....memories from my youth.

Steve
06-20-2007, 08:08 PM
"Fluke" sucked. Plain and simple.

But I love the DUNE series.

OchrisO
06-20-2007, 08:21 PM
"Fluke" sucked. Plain and simple.

But I love the DUNE series.

Dune was Frank Herbert. :)

Steve
06-20-2007, 08:33 PM
there you go

Mordred Deschain
06-21-2007, 02:26 PM
there you go

LOL...I was actually wondering why Dune wasn't mentioned, I read "Herbert" and clicked the forum!:unsure: