PDA

View Full Version : The Ruins ***Here There Be Spoilers***

The Lady of Shadows
06-04-2008, 05:13 PM
so, the ruins.

are they in the right place? are the vines scary? were they stupid for going down into the fucking hole in the first place? anybody you feel especially close to?

discuss.

Ricky
06-04-2008, 05:17 PM
I will be ready to have full discussion on this tomorrow (be prepared turtlesong! :)). Right now, it's bed for me. I'm pooped. :yawn:

Tiffany
06-04-2008, 06:14 PM
I didn't really like it much. It felt like reading R.L. Stine or Christopher Pike again.

The Lady of Shadows
06-04-2008, 07:11 PM
I didn't really like it much. It felt like reading R.L. Stine or Christopher Pike again.

the stine reference i get. but wasn't christopher pike one of the captains of the enterprise? :)

so what didn't you like about it?

Tiffany
06-05-2008, 05:14 AM

the stine reference i get. but wasn't christopher pike one of the captains of the enterprise? :)

so what didn't you like about it?

Pike was a Star Trek character but it's also a pseudonym used by some guy that wrote young adult thriller novels (much like the high school thrillers Stine wrote).

It just didn't feel like it had any depth. I felt like I could have watched the movie and gotten the exact same thing out of it.
It wasn't one of those books that I thought I'd wasted my time with but it definitely wouldn't be on my favorites list.

I'd classify it as "Meh."

Heather19
06-05-2008, 05:53 PM
So how is the movie compared to the book, is it similar?

razz
06-05-2008, 05:56 PM
I still think you need to change your sig, ricky. can't...stop...clicking...spoiler...button...

Tiffany
06-06-2008, 06:04 AM
So how is the movie compared to the book, is it similar?

I haven't seen the movie, so I have no clue. It might not be similar at all but when I've read a book and see that it's also a movie, I always feel glad that I've read the book rather than watch the movie (though I'll sometimes see it anyway, being curious as to how close it is to the written word.)

I didn't feel that way at all at the end of The Ruins. I'm no book critic so it's hard to articulate what I mean but that's just how I feel about it.

I just felt like I'd watched a horror movie. It had more to do with the writing than the story itself.

I did rather like when the vines began to mimic their voices and laughter.