PDA

View Full Version : Porcupine Tree

e_taylor
06-03-2008, 07:08 PM
One of my favourite bands by far. Everything in their music is intelligent and beautiful, from the writing of their songs, to their live performance, even to the artwork and packaging of their albums!

Any other PT fans?

If you haven't heard of them (which sadly, many have not) you owe it to yourself to check them out.

That said, if there are any fans....

Favourite Song

Favourite Album

Favourite Album on Vinyl

For me, we've got:

Buying New Soul

Stupid Dream

Moonloop (Unedited Improve 40 minute track)

Scoogs
06-06-2008, 08:57 PM
Discovered them a little over a year ago when I started hearing them on the internet radio station we listen to at work (Radio Paradise). Must have been right about the time Fear of a Blank Planet was released.
So far I have that one and In Absentia.

Anesthetize is just epic, and was the song that really grabbed my attention.

Fear of a Blank Planet

Clacke
06-10-2008, 06:48 AM
I love them. Discovered them when they released Lightbulb Sun. They're a group of hugely talented musicians and an amazing live band.

Favourite song: So many to choose from & changes almost daily. At the moment - Anesthetize (or maybe Yellow Hedgerow Dreamscape). :)

Favourite Album: Hmmm, at the moment Fear Of A Blank Planet.

Favourite Album On Vinyl: Up The Downstair.

Odetta
06-10-2008, 06:51 AM
This is weird, because one of my students just mentioned them to me. I have only heard a few songs but I find them really interesting!

e_taylor
06-14-2008, 09:01 AM
They are one of those bands that despite huge underground success never seem to be able to "make it big". Although, I'm happy with that, it allows Steven Wilson to remain completely in creative control. But what sold them completely to me was the first time I saw them live, on the In Absentia tour. A 2 1/2 hours set, followed by an hour of encores (Voyage 34 Phase 1, Sky Moves Sideways Phase 1 & 2, and Moonloop).

Hallvard
06-14-2008, 11:13 AM
What genre is this? It seems.. interesting, but I don't like everything, quite on the contrary really; I hate most music :/

Odetta
06-14-2008, 01:09 PM
to be honest, from what I have heard their attempt is to be anti-genre
almost not wanting to be categorized. You can hear many styles in each song.

e_taylor
06-15-2008, 06:34 PM
to be honest, from what I have heard their attempt is to be anti-genre
almost not wanting to be categorized. You can hear many styles in each song.

Yah, in countless interviews SW criticizes the music industry for demanding that you fit into one of the predetermined genre boxes. Generally they are considered progressive rock, why? because they fuse many genres as well as obscure instruments into their music. But just when you think you can pigeon hole them into a category they write an album completely different from anything they've done before.

blackrose22
06-16-2008, 08:19 AM
Not really pushed on what I've heard from Porcupine Tree so far but do love the production of Opeth's Ghost Reveries by Steven Wilson. I've read a lot about them in various music mags and PT are highly admired by nearly everyone who listens to them. Must give them a proper listen.

e_taylor
06-16-2008, 09:09 AM
Not really pushed on what I've heard from Porcupine Tree so far but do love the production of Opeth's Ghost Reveries by Steven Wilson. I've read a lot about them in various music mags and PT are highly admired by nearly everyone who listens to them. Must give them a proper listen.

Don't forget Damnation - he did most of the backing vocals as well as the production on that one. If you're a fan of Opeth a good place to start with PT is the album "Deadwing" (Akerfeldt plays the solo on the title track).

blackrose22
06-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Will try and track down a copy of Deadwing so thanks for the recommendation. I've only got Ghost Reveries by Opeth so far and love the album so looking forward to getting some more of their stuff too.

Clacke
06-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Don't forget Damnation - he did most of the backing vocals as well as the production on that one. If you're a fan of Opeth a good place to start with PT is the album "Deadwing" (Akerfeldt plays the solo on the title track).

Aye. Deadwing is a suberb album. Not one weak track on it. My favourites are Arriving Somewhere But Not Here and The Start Of Something Beautiful.

e_taylor
06-17-2008, 11:56 AM

Aye. Deadwing is a suberb album. Not one weak track on it. My favourites are Arriving Somewhere But Not Here and The Start Of Something Beautiful.

I like them all, but especially Deadwing, Arriving Somewhere..., Half-Light (quite possibly the most beautiful song I have ever heard) and So Called Friend. The last two are b-sides, but I still consider them part of the album as tehy were recorded in the same sessions.

Crunchy
06-05-2009, 09:15 PM
My friends is really into Porcupine Tree (incidentally the very same friend that turned me onto the Dark Tower series) and while I've never been as big a fan as him, I've always really liked the stuff I've listened to.