PDA

View Full Version : Rereading Diary - where are you? *spoilers*

Letti
05-29-2008, 11:25 PM
Okay, I know many of us are rereading the series all the time and I would like to know where you guys are right now.
I am rereading WoC and I think I am in the middle of it. Roland has just realised how they can beat the Wolves with the orizas. The way he touched that plate.. it was so damn good.
Anyway it's my 3rd rereading and this is the first time I read them all in English.

Where are you?

ManOfWesternesse
05-30-2008, 12:32 AM
...Where are you?

Re-read Gunslinger a week or two ago, and contemplating a complete re-read of the series now.

Letti
05-30-2008, 12:34 AM
And when did you read it last time, Brian?

ManOfWesternesse
05-30-2008, 01:16 AM
About a year ago Letti - I did a full re-read of the series then.

Jean
05-30-2008, 01:51 AM
two years and a half here. Will re-read the last three volumes some time soon (now that I have them as books, thanks to my friends!http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif)

Woofer
05-30-2008, 03:19 AM
I reread it about 3 months ago. I'll probably pick it up again in a couple of months.

Brice
05-30-2008, 04:13 AM
I am also rereading WotC. Callehan has just finished telling his tale to the ka-tet.

Letti
05-30-2008, 04:18 AM
I am also rereading WotC. Callehan has just finished telling his tale to the ka-tet.
We are almost on the same page. :wub:

Brice
05-30-2008, 04:24 AM
I will catch you. :couple:

LadyHitchhiker
05-30-2008, 04:46 AM
Hey Letti, is it better in Hungarian or English for you?

Letti
05-30-2008, 05:01 AM
in English of course :)

The Lady of Shadows
05-30-2008, 12:59 PM
finished the gunslinger. a third of the way through the drawing of the three. i have the bad habit of reading several books at the same time, plus i normally listen to something on my ipod at night. but since my ipod is being repaired, i'm reading at night now. this reread should go a little quicker - but hopefully not to quickly.

Ves'Ka Gan
06-02-2008, 09:22 AM
I just finished The Wastelands and I'm *trying* to wait until the end of July to move on with Wiazard and Glass, because my mom promised to get the three books I am missing for my birthday. With Wolves of the Calla sitting there, staring at me, I'm probably going to give in and buy it anyway....

obscurejude
06-02-2008, 09:26 PM
I've got about 30 pages left in DT VII and I'll be done with this re-read of the whole series. I'll probably drop it for a while after I get done, focus on some other things. The re reads have been a lot slower since joining the site, I feel the need to mark up every other page in order to discuss things.

Letti
06-02-2008, 10:42 PM
When I am rereading this book (now Roland and Jake are having their palaver about Susannah) I don't feel like reading I feel like being home.

MonteGss
06-03-2008, 08:25 AM
The re reads have been a lot slower since joining the site, I feel the need to mark up every other page in order to discuss things.

Spoken like a true DT Junkie! :D

I hope you aren't marking up your only copies though...and I hope they are mass market paperbacks. :)

obscurejude
06-03-2008, 08:36 AM
The re reads have been a lot slower since joining the site, I feel the need to mark up every other page in order to discuss things.

Spoken like a true DT Junkie! :D

I hope you aren't marking up your only copies though...and I hope they are mass market paperbacks. :)

Paperbacks for the most part, but I don't mind writing in any of them. Every book I own is marked up from start to finish. I don't collect books for market value, so they're all fair game. I consider myself a bibliophile but not in the sense where the book is valuable only if its perfect. I love battered copies. I love looking at my notes. I also retain much more of any story/poem/ or prose by reading and writing at the same time.

Ves'Ka Gan
06-03-2008, 12:50 PM
When I am rereading this book (now Roland and Jake are having their palaver about Susannah) I don't feel like reading I feel like being home.

That's exactly how I feel with this series. Usually, no matter how good a book is I only feel "in it" at certain points, with Roland and his Ka-Tet, I feel like I am walking the path of the Beam with them.

If I didn't love my fiance and my cat so much--I'd be looking for doors myself!

As for marking books--the more I love a book, the less I care about how they look. Highlighter & ink pen marks abound and dog-eared pages mark the things I don't want to have to "look for"...books were meant to be loved to death.

Darkthoughts
06-07-2008, 04:33 AM
Paperbacks for the most part, but I don't mind writing in any of them. Every book I own is marked up from start to finish. I don't collect books for market value, so they're all fair game. I consider myself a bibliophile but not in the sense where the book is valuable only if its perfect. I love battered copies. I love looking at my notes. I also retain much more of any story/poem/ or prose by reading and writing at the same time.

:rose: Could I love you any more?

The Lady of Shadows
06-08-2008, 03:28 PM
finished W&G and started Wolves early this morning (around 3am).

Letti
06-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Soon I will finish W&C and I will start SoS. I am so much interested in my opinion this time (I hope it doesn't sound big-heaed).

obscurejude
06-08-2008, 09:50 PM

:rose: Could I love you any more?

:huglove: :rose: We do have a lot in common.

The Lady of Shadows
06-16-2008, 04:14 AM
finished wolves (a hint to all playing the who told who game) and now reading song of susannah.

Letti
09-18-2008, 02:22 AM
Long time no new posts.
I am still in WoC because I have picked up a Dean R. Koontz book. *bumps her head to the wall* I am insane. I cannot wait to finish it and to go back to the ka-tet.

What about you, my dear rereaders?
Where are you these days?

ManOfWesternesse
09-18-2008, 02:32 AM
Not reading DT these days.
I read The Gunslinger a couple of months back, but then got sidetracked on other things.
Currently on Book 6 of a full re-read of Robert Jordan's 'Wheel of Time' (11-book series).

turtlex
09-18-2008, 04:15 AM
Let's see - since I just returned from vacation, I'm on the last cd of "The Drawing of The Three".

Technically, not reading but still enjoying :) .

My girl and I, when we road trip each summer - we bring the DT with us. It's been a tradition since our first summer together.

Brice
09-18-2008, 04:17 AM
I am still somewhere near the beginning of DTVII. I took a break to read some other stuff for a bit.

BeDaN
09-18-2008, 04:53 AM
The reread is calling to me. . .but I have so much left to finish, It, EotD, Talisman, Black House, Salem's Lot and then The Long Walk (because you guys referred it to me and are so convincing :excited: ). It's really hard on my literary soul.

sarah
09-18-2008, 08:45 AM
I'm in desperate need of finishing the last half of tdt vii. I got to the point where Eddie dies and I haven't been able to go back and finish. I just couldn't stand reading about Eddie in so much pain. It filled me with such sadness knowing that this was just the beginning of much more pain to come. :cry:

Brice
09-18-2008, 08:47 AM
I'm in desperate need of finishing the last half of tdt vii. I got to the point where Eddie dies and I haven't been able to go back and finish. I just couldn't stand reading about Eddie in so much pain. It filled me with such sadness knowing that this was just the beginning of much more pain to come. :cry:

Awww! :couple:

3 DOORS DOWN
09-19-2008, 12:47 PM
I,ve honestly lost count.I started the gunslinger in 1982 re-read that while
waiting for book 2 re-read that etc.
The only other books i've re-read are the lord of the rings ,twice.

tamez
09-19-2008, 12:55 PM
of the first four books i have lost count.
i have only listened to Wolves and SoS once
DT 7 twice.
i'm thinking of starting Wolves tomorrow actually :grouphug:

RandoofGilead
09-26-2008, 08:05 AM
I've just finished The Gunslinger for the 2nd time as I make my 2nd round through the series.

I found some answers (somewhat) but have more questions about the Man in Black which hopefully I can get resolved. I was hoping to find things easier this time through. I am, but the last palaver still has me a little confused about the origins of the Man in Black.

I've gone through the palaver a couple of times but am moving on to The Drawing of the Three now.

BamaChambers
09-26-2008, 03:33 PM
On my third trip to the Tower and just finished the gas station shoot-out in Songs and can't wait till the Dixie Pig. I didn't like Book VI much the first time around but it grows on me more and more each time I read it. Susannah and Mia's palaver at the wall-walk of the Castle on the Abyss is a horror to visualize.

Letti, pay heed to how the story takes on a sense of urgency after the beam quake and once Eddie notices Susannah/Mia has run off. The Tower itself doesn't matter the slightest to him at this point. I havn't put enough thought into this to have any important opinions but I just love the transition.

pathoftheturtle
09-29-2008, 06:49 AM
Cool thread. I just re-read Wolves, which is such a tricky novel. Every time, I feel differently about it. Started SoS last night. :)

...the last palaver still has me a little confused about the origins of the Man in Black.

...You read the revised, or the original?

RandoofGilead
09-30-2008, 08:31 PM
Cool thread. I just re-read Wolves, which is such a tricky novel. Every time, I feel differently about it. Started SoS last night. :)

...the last palaver still has me a little confused about the origins of the Man in Black.

...You read the revised, or the original?

I went through the original. I don't have the revised.

Letti
10-07-2008, 11:17 PM
You don't need the revised. ;)

pathoftheturtle
10-09-2008, 07:30 AM
Well, it does make more clear TMIB story... I believe that's one reason that King did it.

The Lady of Shadows
10-09-2008, 04:24 PM

letti, letti, letti. don't make me send you the revised and mind control you into reading it. :wtf:

Letti
10-09-2008, 11:54 PM

letti, letti, letti. don't make me send you the revised and mind control you into reading it. :wtf:

*laughs*
In fact I have the revised one in English so I have read it. :P

Kingfanatic260
10-17-2008, 08:49 PM
I'm reading the complete series for the third time. I just started The drawing of the three and I'm at the part where Roland and Eddie are together in the "sky carriage"

Letti
10-17-2008, 11:03 PM
I love that part a lot. And the way Eddie handles that situation... I felt he was a gunslinger at that time. A lost one but a good one.

Kingfanatic260
10-18-2008, 06:32 AM
I love that part a lot. And the way Eddie handles that situation... I felt he was a gunslinger at that time. A lost one but a good one.

Totally agree, we knew from that point that Eddie had some steel in him. The drawing of the three is my favorite book and Eddie turns out to be my favorite character. The first time I read the series this book is the one that truly hooked me.

Letti
10-24-2008, 12:36 AM
I had a free day yesterday I could finish rereading WoC at last. I love this book so so much.
Started reading SoS.

Talitha Unwin
10-26-2008, 08:50 AM
Just finished today. And, of course, everything`s as usual:

I just have to cry when Jake dies and Roland is burying him, and it breaks my heart when he first sees Susannah go through the door to New York and then in the end realizes he has to go through it all again. I really believe it`s the only end this story can have, but gee, it`s just so cruel! :cry:

Now, I can`t wait to finally start the comic series - just hope my "gunslinger born"-Edition will arrive soon!

Hbgunslinger
10-27-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm on chapter 6 in DT 7, for the first re-read (which is why I haven't been here) and I still get goosebumps at all the spots I did the first time. It's amazing how once you start it is real hard to stop.

sfischer
10-27-2008, 09:31 PM
i finished my last reread of the tower series about a month ago so its still pretty early for me to start again. i am thinking about doing a complete reread of all the DT associated books. just finished Insomnia.

Hbgunslinger
10-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Aye Insomnia is a real good read. the only problem that I ran into is the paper back copy I bought is missing about 25 to 30 pages about 3/4 of the way through it......this :panic: was me when I realized it.
So I went to Barnes and noble found a copy that had the missing pages and read it in their comfy chairs...:P

The Lady of Shadows
10-28-2008, 02:30 PM
Aye Insomnia is a real good read. the only problem that I ran into is the paper back copy I bought is missing about 25 to 30 pages about 3/4 of the way through it......this :panic: was me when I realized it.
So I went to Barnes and noble found a copy that had the missing pages and read it in their comfy chairs...:P

don't they have the best chairs there. i've spent many an hour in b&n reading. reread the long walk there as a matter of fact. and several king short stories actually. :D

Hbgunslinger
10-28-2008, 07:34 PM

don't they have the best chairs there. i've spent many an hour in b&n reading. reread the long walk there as a matter of fact. and several king short stories actually. :D

Yeah those chairs are amazing, if I thought no one would notice I would try to sneak out with one someday. It's really nice when I am there with my girlfriend or there is a B&N in a mall that we are in because I will let her go shopping and I will go read. Unless all the chairs are taken of course in wHich case:shoot:

The Lady of Shadows
10-29-2008, 12:42 PM
i agree completely with the :shoot:

:lol:

sarah
10-30-2008, 01:19 PM
While I was reading The Talisman this week, I started to hear Roland's call and it was strong. I guess it is time to head back to DT7 (series end spoilers) and read about Eddie's death. I just haven't been able to get past that part. I know what is to come and it is hard to put myself back in that emotional state.

but when you hear the call, you have to step up and answer it.

Brice
10-30-2008, 02:03 PM
That is about where I am now in DT VII.

Letti
10-30-2008, 02:08 PM
I have just reread my favourite fight scene. Wow. Still way too good.

sarah
11-06-2008, 08:00 AM
Roland (dt7 spoilers) buried Jake. Oy stayed and then joined Roland by the side of the road. :cry:

Letti
11-06-2008, 12:25 PM
I am still rereading SoS. It's much better now.

wanderwonder
11-11-2008, 06:08 PM
Hi, just joined. listening to The Gunslinger on audio. (19th time reading it.) ;} According to the torrent site I found it on, there were some different versions of The Gunslinger- this is supposed to be the first (original) version. Read by Frank Muller. (Awesome!) Anyway, according to the torrent's author:
"This audiobook includes an interesting afterword written before The Drawing of the Three was completed.
For chapter and verse on the differences between the two versions of The Gunslinger, go to http://www.thedarktower.net/gunslinger."
Was wondering where to find the differences, if they exist?
Thanks!

Diggity Of The Eld
11-19-2008, 11:05 AM
My fiance is reading the series for the first time, and she's on Book 3.

She thinks Oy is going to turn evil because he had to bite Jake from keeping him from falling, and Roland mentioned that Oy has a taste for blood now.

This is silly of course, but it will make that scene with

Tick Tock Man

... a little more suspenseful. Although that scene was already so suspenseful for me. I remember reading book 3 towards the end and being on such a roller coaster from that.

Letti
11-19-2008, 11:18 AM
It's interesting how people's fantasy can fly.

Diggity Of The Eld
11-19-2008, 01:19 PM
I think she's figuring it out a bit too early. She's a smart cookie...

"yeah, I wanted to look back at the part with roland's palaver with the man in black
where he's doing the tarot card reading
and he keeps being like "this one is death, but not for you""

:rose:

pickle
11-20-2008, 03:44 AM
I started reading the DT series on Friday and finished The Waste Lands lastnight, now i just got to get the rest.

Mianjo
12-07-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm not sure how many times I've read books I-VI. "Delah." I do know I've only read VII once...maybe twice, but I'm sure only once. I'm towards the middle of SoS right now. I had forgotten that sooooo much happens in this one.

I know that I am really, really looking forward to reading VII over winter break.

Fitz
12-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Ive only read the series once. Going to leave it for a while however before reading it again. Going to read the other King books with relation to the DT first. Already read the Mist, and IT. Once ive got all the knowledge from the other books I think rereading TDT will be much more enjoyable (if thats possible). Finished the DT series about 5 days ago and already excited about rereading it haha

Letti
12-13-2008, 09:25 AM
Ive only read the series once. Going to leave it for a while however before reading it again. Going to read the other King books with relation to the DT first. Already read the Mist, and IT. Once ive got all the knowledge from the other books I think rereading TDT will be much more enjoyable (if thats possible). Finished the DT series about 5 days ago and already excited about rereading it haha

And the strange and so good thing is that you will feel this way whenever you finish the series. Again and again and again.

Nightfall
01-07-2009, 02:53 PM
I finished the series for the first time in either late November or early December, and I'm now rereading The Gunslinger, I finished the part with the Oracle on the bus ride home

MonteGss
01-07-2009, 03:49 PM
I am currently on DT3 and the three gunslingers are on their way to the Portal of the Bear.
:D

Jean
01-08-2009, 01:58 AM
I am currently on DT3 and the three gunslingers are on their way to the Portal of the Bear.
:D
Bears always reread this part with great interest.

Ves'Ka Gan
01-13-2009, 08:43 PM
With my beau gone for over a month :( I started rereading again, I am at the battle in Tull...

Emily
01-15-2009, 09:04 PM
I just picked up The Gunslinger from my brother's house and am going to start rereading tomorrow (if I start tonight I'll be up until who knows when). Tomorrow is supposed to be like 7 degrees where I am and I don't have to work, which means I'll be reading under a blanket for hours on end. I am beyond excited.:excited:

EdwardDean1999
01-31-2009, 08:34 AM
Fun thread. I'm at Tull right now. Almost ready to massacre the whole town.

sarah
02-05-2009, 01:51 PM
oh I love the massacre scene. This is where we see who Roland truly is.

MonteGss
02-05-2009, 07:10 PM
I just finished reading when Roland meets Susan. I kept thinking...."STOP, STAY AWAY FROM HER!" Man is she annoying. :)

I really am trying to enjoy it this time, I am. There is just such a big divide for me once the flashback starts and my friends disappear. :(

Jean
02-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Bears totally understand.

The_Nameless
02-08-2009, 10:35 PM
I feel I am playing the part of the slacker. I have not read more than the first half of the first book in more than four years.

I haven't even read King in quite some time, even though I bought the Bachman books fairly recently.
My girl recently completed -and enjoyed- The Stand, though.

Jean
02-09-2009, 12:43 AM
Daniel is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear4bis.gif

GirlGoneNineteen
02-26-2009, 01:30 PM
I am going to try to get all the books in hardback this year and do my second reading of the series then :D

Letti
03-15-2009, 02:08 PM
DT7

Mordred has just eaten Walter.

mia/susannah
03-15-2009, 02:22 PM
I am currently on my third reread of the series. Just started The Waste Lands, just past the part where they had to kill shardik or mir as the old people called him.

<ô> bango skank <ô>
05-25-2009, 04:46 AM
have started readin R Scott Bakker again, but now i've joined this site i hear the song again. guess i finish Warrior Prophit in double time, then it's back to the gunslinger.

The man in black... etc. will be my 7th time, but each reread, i discover somthing new. may read little sisters first. has been years since i picked that off the bookshelf.

ManOfWesternesse
05-25-2009, 06:37 AM
Im in the Wastelands again, the ka-tet have just started down the Path of the Beam and Jake is going crazy (just left school and is off into town).

Lily-sai
05-25-2009, 06:44 AM
Brian, that reminded me of my dream last night! Thankee-sai, will write about it in IMMRN thread. :P

I'm right now reading WoC along with Imajica. Ka-tet is in Calla Bryn Sturgis and Roland has just danced his commala dance. I can never get enough of the DT series!

Woofer
05-26-2009, 08:22 AM
I am preparing to start this year's reread.

AlChron77
05-27-2009, 02:17 PM
I finished the series for the first time last night. I had planned to go to sleep after finishing the book. I'm sure you all understand how helplessly impossible that could be after finishing the greatest story of all time. Instead I put down The Dark Tower and immediately picked up The Gunslinger to start all over again...

Just like the Gunslinger himself

turtlex
05-27-2009, 02:18 PM
AlChron77 - Welcome to the site... and the club. :D

AlChron77
05-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Thank you, sir. Glad to be here.

sarajean
05-28-2009, 09:22 AM
(ma'am)

welcome, though! :D

reptiler
07-08-2009, 11:21 AM
I recently ran out of books and after re-reading Black House I now picked up The Gunslinger again.
Roland just met Jake.

Letti
07-12-2009, 09:57 AM
I am still on DT7. It's not easy to read because I know what's coming...

So as I was travelling to Lake Balaton by train to see my family I was reading DT7 and when Roland met Sheemie again I couldn't help and I started to cry. Interesting because when I first read it I didn't. But now... it touched me so much.

candy
07-12-2009, 10:08 AM

So as I was travelling to Lake Balaton by train to see my family I was reading DT7 and when Roland met Sheemie again I couldn't help and I started to cry. Interesting because when I first read it I didn't. But now... it touched me so much.

aw letti:couple:

Jean
07-12-2009, 10:14 AM
So as I was travelling to Lake Balaton by train to see my family I was reading DT7 and when Roland met Sheemie again I couldn't help and I started to cry. Interesting because when I first read it I didn't. But now... it touched me so much. It is so understandable! The first time there are too many factors that distract you from sheer raw emotion - like the desire to know what happens next, and the shock of learning what is happening, and the effort itself of reading something new... while on the other times you're left alone with what you feel, and the fact that you have already been prepared only amplifies everything, making it ten times as strong as it was the first time.

(that's why I'll never be rereading Blaze... that first time nearly killed me, so if I ever start a reread, I'll warn you beforehand to call for the doctor, the priest, and the undertaker.)

Letti
07-12-2009, 10:15 AM
So as I was travelling to Lake Balaton by train to see my family I was reading DT7 and when Roland met Sheemie again I couldn't help and I started to cry. Interesting because when I first read it I didn't. But now... it touched me so much. It is so understandable! The first time there are too many factors that distract you from sheer raw emotion - like the desire to know what happens next, and the shock of learning what is happening, and the effort itself of reading something new... while on the other times you're left alone with what you feel, and the fact that you have already been prepared only amplifies everything, making it ten times as strong as it was the first time.

Well said. You are right, Jean.

ManOfWesternesse
07-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Still on my re-read.
Started WotC yesterday.
As of 15 minutes ago, the ka-tet are just waiting for Callaghan to bring the rest of his party to the campsite for palaver.

Glam Princess
07-12-2009, 01:52 PM

Hello.
I found that my 2nd time through I cried alot more because I knew what was happening. I could feel the emotions inside me bubbling over the top.:cry:
I laughed alot too

Letti
07-12-2009, 01:54 PM

Hello.
I found that my 2nd time through I cried alot more because I knew what was happening. I could feel the emotions inside me bubbling over the top.:cry:
I laughed alot too

Wow! Glam! Long time no see! I mean... WOW! :hug:
Yeah, I see where you are coming from. I guess my re-reading got very slow because of the same reason. I know what's coming. :sigh:

ManOfWesternesse
07-12-2009, 02:05 PM

Hello.
I laughed alot too
Kris! Long-Long time no see! :rose:

Jean
07-12-2009, 10:49 PM
look who is here! look who is here!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/poohbear.gif

come to the Castle, we're waiting!

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_sara01.gif

RUBE
07-13-2009, 06:22 PM
I am back to The Wizard and the Glass and just finished reading about when Roland and Susan make out on the drop and she starts to hear the wind of Ka blowing.

MonteGss
07-13-2009, 06:26 PM
I have about 100 pages left of the series.

Reading it for the second time or the tenth time, the same parts still hit me the same way each time. Whether it is laughing my ass off at Gasher's singing and his verbal assaults on Jake or crying at the death of my friends...these books are just so damned good.

dr shottie
07-14-2009, 06:22 AM
up to the 4th book and halfway through trouble is stirring with roland, bert and alain and the big coffin hunters

cody44
07-15-2009, 02:21 PM
I'm about 100 pages into SoS. The shooting just went down at the gas station (fantastic scene) and Eddie and Roland are on the boat with the man Ka placed to help them. I miss Jake (my favorite character) and Callahan, and I hope the story returns to them soon.

echoRacer
07-31-2009, 06:04 AM
I'm reading the series for the second time, nearly finished The Gunslinger so far :)

ManOfWesternesse
07-31-2009, 06:18 AM
I'm on SoS.
Just walked in the doors of the Dixie Pig with Jake & the Pere.

Letti
07-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Welcome to the site, echo. :rose:

You're fast, Brian.

divemaster
08-02-2009, 02:56 PM
I'm reading the series for the second/third time. The first 4 I've already read twice and the last three I've read once.

So now I'm just finishing Wizard & Glass and will be moving on to my second reading of the final 3.

But this time, I'm also branching out to pick up some re-reads of interconnected novels/collections. For example, I just finished re-reading Hearts in Atlantis and 'Salem's Lot. I'm even going to re-read Insomnia this year (I book I pretty much hated by the way.) Not sure what else I should re-read to round out the last 3 DT books.

Any suggestions?

ManOfWesternesse
08-04-2009, 05:38 AM
...You're fast, Brian.

Naw - I'm reading it slow this time around!

Now on DT7 again. The ka-tet just got back together.

Sandalwood Grips
08-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Just finished reading the entire series for the third time. Quickly zipped through Little Sisters, and currently up to date on graphic novels. About to start reading Insomnia, followed by Hearts.

Letti
08-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Just finished reading the entire series for the third time. Quickly zipped through Little Sisters, and currently up to date on graphic novels. About to start reading Insomnia, followed by Hearts.

Third time? I am on my third reading, too. Welcome to the site. :rose:

Sandalwood Grips
08-09-2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks much...that is a sweet sig :thumbsup:

Reviarc
08-17-2009, 02:05 AM
I'm re-reading Book 2 on the toilet and Roland just lost two of his fingers. Let me assure you, it's a lot more entertaining than reading that same shampoo bottle a million times.

Letti
08-17-2009, 08:27 AM
I'm re-reading Book 2 on the toilet and Roland just lost two of his fingers. Let me assure you, it's a lot more entertaining than reading that same shampoo bottle a million times.

Firstly how can you stand not putting it into your bag?!?!

Secondly OMG I am not the only person who keeps reading shampoo bottles all the time (if there is nothing else to read)?

Brice
08-17-2009, 09:09 AM
No, you are not. :lol: I read all labels including ingredients multiple times.

Letti
08-17-2009, 09:26 AM
As a kid I used to know them by heart... :lol:

Brice
08-17-2009, 09:49 AM
Well, my memory isn't so good, but I've read every bottle, can, box, bag, and package in the house several times by now I think. :lol:

Reviarc
08-17-2009, 05:31 PM
Well, my memory isn't so good, but I've read every bottle, can, box, bag, and package in the house several times by now I think. :lol:

You must go a lot. Spastic colon?

Jean
08-18-2009, 01:52 AM
Secondly OMG I am not the only person who keeps reading shampoo bottles all the time (if there is nothing else to read)?

bears read them in all the languages present in a label, and try to make conclusions about the syntax, morphology and grammar of the languages they don't know.

Letti
08-18-2009, 03:35 AM

bears read them in all the languages present in a label, and try to make conclusions about the syntax, morphology and grammar of the languages they don't know.

:bows: You are the professional label-reader, Jean. We are only beginners.

Brice
08-18-2009, 03:38 AM

You must go a lot. Spastic colon?

Ummmm...no! :wtf:

Jean, as Letti said...we are amateurs.

Reviarc
08-18-2009, 08:38 AM
Since my last post 2 days ago, I've managed to work my way through 1/4 of the book. Yes, I go a lot. Why, just this morning I got asked by the dude in the next stall not to strike up conversation with him while he shits. What's so weird about that?! I'm not weird, HE'S weird! I got to thinking of Michael Vick while sitting on the john, so what?

MPatrick
08-24-2009, 07:45 AM
Since I've just finished reading W&G, I've now read the first 4 books 4 times. I've only read the last 3 once, but I'm going to start on Wolves in a few weeks.

I read Gunslinger and DO3 several months ago, and then took a break. Wound up picking up Wastelands because I couldn't find anything else to read. Well, had to force myself to read slowly since it's one of my favorites. Moved right into W&G, which I just finished on my way to work this morning. Speaking of which, why am I not working? :evil:

Will definitely post again when I pick up Wolves. I want to make it last so I need to curb my enthusiasm!

I read the first two Dark Tower graphic novels, and still get so torn up at the end of Roland's tragic tale. Ka like a wind indeed...

No matter how many times I read it, I always hold out hope that Roland's bullet finds it's target while in the Palace. Maybe next time!

Letti
08-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Good to have you here MPatrick. You look like a real DT junkie. And your av is something.

MPatrick
08-27-2009, 07:11 AM
Thanks, Letti. I love your new av, it's beautiful.

Rambo, John J
08-31-2009, 02:18 AM
Its weird, I re-read W&G, then Little Sisters, then the comics a week ago or so, then realised i've lost/ lent out the rest of my collection. Cue the past week of trawling second hand shops trying to find the rest of the series.

I've since found WOTC (which I finished two days ago) and DOTT which I bought and began yesterday. So i've been reading in a higgledy-piggledy roundabout way. I wanna buy and read SoS and DT in sequential order though. I may have to just bite the bullet and fork out the dosh for brand new copies again though. I can never find Dark Tower books in second hand bookstores! (Proof mayhap that once read, you're a Tower junkie for life?!)

Letti
09-09-2009, 12:57 PM
I am still right before attacking Blue Heaven.. I think I can't go on because I know what's coming. This is my 2nd time reading the last book.

overhoser
10-14-2009, 08:33 PM
I'm doing my third reading of 1-4 and second of 5-7 on audiobook. So I get about 34 minutes of DT per day, or at least 3 or 4 days per week, while riding in the car. It's a lot of fun, and I really get to enjoy it. It's been taking me a long time. I forget when I started (in the spring?), but yesterday I arrived at the scene in Wolves when Father Callahan interrupts the ka-tet's meeting on Calvin Tower and the vacant lot. Eddie, Jake and Oy had just gone Todash for the first time.

Sickrose
10-15-2009, 11:11 AM
I am on my second reading of The Wastelands. It's been a few months since I finished the series but it didin't finish with me so it seems. I felt the pull and I started the Wastelands and it wsa like meting up with old friends ahhhh. :)

Whiskeybent
12-12-2009, 03:17 PM
I am almost done with my third complete read through and get this: already started on a fourth. Not something I planned to do, but I finally convinced my fiance to let me read them to her. She loves it when I read to her, so I thought I might as well get her hooked as well. She didn't like The Gunslinger and only liked Drawing a little better, but we are half way through Wastelands and she....loves it!

It kills me because I can totally relate! I was just as confused at the end of Gunslinger as when I started and was only a little less confused at the end of Drawing(Even thought I loved Drawing from the start and she was only mildly into it). But I absolutely LOVED Wastelands and knew by the end of it that I was hooked for life:cowboy:

trig_troll
03-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Rereading DT was my "keep the mind busy" project this winter. (How much Curling can you watch?)

I'm all the way to the last book and when I get to the (horrible) part when they free the breakers, I can't seem to get past the loss of Eddie who is my favorite character. t's like my brother or husband is dead.

I could read the Wastelands thirty times before picking up after Eddie dies.

Of course that's just me.

MonteGss
03-10-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm not sure if I'm on a reread or not. I recently finished a back-to-back listen of The Gunslinger and The Gunslinger: Revised. I haven't picked up DT2 yet. Maybe this will be a long, drawn out reread for 2010.

Update: My wife is on Wolves right now, her first time. She read The Gunslinger like 2 years ago and just recently showed interest in continuing the story. :)

Sickrose
03-11-2010, 05:29 AM
I'm not sure if I'm on a reread or not. I recently finished a back-to-back listen of The Gunslinger and The Gunslinger: Revised. I haven't picked up DT2 yet. Maybe this will be a long, drawn out reread for 2010 I like the idea of a drawn out read. I started the series again recently and ended up plowing through them far to quick. I feel a bit sad now that I have finished DT VII .

Update: My wife is on Wolves right now, her first time. She read The Gunslinger like 2 years ago and just recently showed interest in continuing the story. :)
I am trying to get my other half interested !!! Wolves is one of my favs I hope she likes it.

Kronz
03-11-2010, 11:00 AM
I can't draw out a re-read of the DT series. When I read them, I find ways to allot every spare moment to reading. One day I think I managed nearly 400 pages of Wizard and Glass only getting up to make coffee and lunch. Only WoC was easy to take my time with.

Currently I am all done though so I am back at the start, though I will probably wait again a few years to reread all 7.1 DT tales. In the meantime I am working on re-reading everything explicitly tied to the DT universe, right now I am just over 900p into It. Got my hardback of The Stand in the mail today and that's next for sure, I have not read it since the year they first aired the TV version.

MonteGss
03-11-2010, 11:50 AM
I will finally get to a reread of The Stand this year. I hope. :)

Letti
03-13-2010, 01:12 AM

Really great news. Who is her favourite from the ka-tet?

MonteGss
03-13-2010, 03:48 PM

Really great news. Who is her favourite from the ka-tet?

Roland. :)
She started to like Eddie too because of Frank Muller I think. She is not a fan of Guidall's audiobooks though.

GirlGoneNineteen
04-13-2010, 08:57 AM
On my second read of the series, started DT2 a couple days ago.

Yaksha
04-19-2010, 11:15 AM
just started my fifth read of the series already halfway through gunslinger.

CannotCatch22
06-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Since starting the series 5 years ago, I'm on my 3rd re-read, starting this read through on my 19th birthday (4/3) and am now about halfway through the final book (In the Haze of Green and Gold, I cry every time still) after reading IT and The Eyes of The Dragon between Wizard and Glass and Wolves.
After finally getting sick of being not being able to discuss the books with anyone around me I got a couple of my friends hooked on the series and they're on their firth read throughs (one needs to start the 6th and the other needs to get the 5th from him). I just can't wait til they get to the ending.

primroseburrows
07-27-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm doing a parallel reread of both versions of The Gunslinger and following along with The Road to the Dark Tower. Roland has just begun telling Brown about Tull. Let me tell you, it's no easy feat negotiating three books at once.

candy
07-28-2010, 11:00 AM
just finished W&G (really dont like that book and skimmed the whole susan shite)

will hold off before i pick up wolves and then get back into the final lot in one bound me thinks

Just got hubbie and big sis to read

hubbie is very slow reader and is still on DoTT (favourite moment; he has known eddie is my favourite for ages, and when he started to read about him he just looked up at me and went 'Eddie's a junkie' in a really sorrowful voice - lol)

big sis is more along and has just started teh wastelands - eeeekk any minute now she is going to discover Oy (swoon)

<-- as an aside, my little smilies have dis-appeared again, they do that quite a lot these days

DoctorDodge
07-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Currently on the final volume, and Roland and the gang are listening to Ted telling his story. At the moment, Ted's just had his "interview" for Blue Heaven.

Oh, and here's how much of a slow reader I am: this is only my 2nd readthrough of the series, and it's been about 4 years since I last read this volume. Oh, and I'm pretty sure I started re-reading the Gunslinger (revised) sometime last year, if not the year before. I have a way of really dragging these books out!

ChristafanofKing
09-04-2010, 11:31 AM
I am halfway through book 7, almost done again, they are sitting in the cave listening to Ted and he is just finishing up....

One cool thing that I did this time was stop and mingle other King books in with my reading of the series this time, a little on purpose but mostly on accident since I was checking them out from the library and sometimes someone else would have the only copy I needed. Well I ended up taking a long drive and checking out Hearts in Atlantis on CD and popped it in for the drive. The first story (and it lasted the whole drive) was Ted's. So now that I am meeting Ted again in DT7, I am loving how fresh his story is to me.

Erin
10-28-2010, 12:01 PM
I am waaaaaaaaay over-due for a re-read. Especially books 5-7. I've only read them a couple times each.

I think I'm going to read a few stand alone books first (since I've just come out of a couple month long re-read of another book series I enjoy) and then start a Dark Tower re-read later this winter.

It's much needed, since I've been back posting here lately, I'm realizing how fuzzy I have gotten on some details. Shame on me. :doh:

ManOfWesternesse
10-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Nearing the end of W&G again, the boys have just been taken and Rhea's on her way into town.

Girlystevedave
10-29-2010, 12:57 PM
I'm just getting into Odetta's part in DotT.

Is it weird that I have the original Gunslinger AND the revised version, yet when I started the re-read, I opted for the original? :unsure: :lol: :orely:
I just thought about that.

JacobChambers
11-01-2010, 07:58 AM
Just finished the whole shabang, now i'm starting on the Graphic Novels for the first time! I'm very excited, i feel like i'm about to enter a whole new DT experiece!

Letti
12-15-2010, 04:40 AM
Just finished the whole shabang, now i'm starting on the Graphic Novels for the first time! I'm very excited, i feel like i'm about to enter a whole new DT experiece!

Let us know how you like them. :)

Weirdmonger
03-21-2011, 12:26 AM
Hi, I'm DF Lewis, I'm currently real-time reviewing THE DARK TOWER books in detail on my blog.
I've never read these books before (although I have read most of SK's work otherwise since the days of Carrie).
I've currently reached the middle of 'Wizard and Glass' upon this incredible rite of passage at the age of 63.
des

Please Google "DF Lewis" if you want to find them.

Weirdmonger
03-29-2011, 04:36 AM
I have just completed my real-time review of the gigantic WIZARD AND GLASS on my blog. Phew!
df lewis

Citgo = Fukushima?

Merlin1958
03-29-2011, 07:21 PM
No disrespect dude, but we are all kinda way past this phase. However, if you want to join in on the discussions in this thread/forum, by all means please do!!!!!!

Weirdmonger
03-30-2011, 12:56 AM
I think I am the only person who reviews any books in this real-time fashion i.e seeking gestalts from a retrocausal experience.
So not quite sure by what you mean as "this phase".
best, des

Merlin1958
03-30-2011, 07:01 AM
Again, no disrespect, but how can you review a book in "Real-Time" that was published a decade or so earlier? Real-time to you maybe. I guess its more of a "Book Club" kinda thing? Also, where's the link to the review?

:orely:

Weirdmonger
03-30-2011, 09:37 AM
I didn't link to the review as I didn't want to be pushy. You can google my name, though.
But the specialist nature of my real-time reviews - many of which I've done on old books and new - becomes clear, I hope, if anyone wants to read them.
Thanks for your thoughts.
df lewis

Weirdmonger
04-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Variation upon a theme from the real-time review of W-and-G's sequel:

VI. The Way of the Eld

“And of course they have to be watched more or less constant, for if they get something they like, they’ll eat it until they bust.”

Readers of ‘The Dark Tower’ series? Or is it this series with its own gauche giantism: as a result of abduction by readers and their (or its) later giantism? The permutations of creativity or “tough bubbles“? So who abducted whom?

Weirdmonger
04-04-2011, 02:53 AM
Re Mia's farrowing in my terminology - 'farrowing': giving birth to a litter of pigs. Cf: the pig roast in the nightmare. (4 Apr 11)

Weirdmonger
04-09-2011, 03:05 AM
I have now reached SoS in my real-time review of the Dark Tower series:
http://nullimmortalis.wordpress.com/2011/04/08/song-of-susannah-the-dark-tower/

Excerpt:

Trudy and Mia – 3rd Stanza

A truly memorable (if I can return here to check one day how memorable) scene in NY near the vacant lot (cf: the vacant lot of books before you read them?) in NY amid humming and chiming, of Susannah-straining-but-failing-to-dislodge-Mia’s arrival like a religious Annunciation vision (a vision for bystander-hard-nosed-businesswoman Trudy): a vision of a black woman whose limbs visibly grow to fit some future child-bearing cross of pain and who’s wielding sharp-edged dish’cus-plates (plates of meat = slang for feet) worried about shoes for those feet: shoe-sizes: Trudy’s shoes: reminding us of those by-chance ready-to-wear red shoes that appeared in earlier memories now almost half-forgotten… (9 Apr 11)

Weirdmonger
04-12-2011, 07:59 AM
I think, having now reached the Susannah-Mio, Divided Girl of Mine – 10th Stanza chapter in 'SoS', that the Mia Farrowing theory HERE (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?12268-Mia-Farrowing) is now connected with the Prim and Mia also being seen in her twenties during that chapter.

Weirdmonger
04-13-2011, 07:43 AM
‘Hile, Mia, Hile, Mother’ – 13th Stanza

“Too late now. / Too late to do anything but go through with it.”

From the ‘Land of Ago’ / Dogan / Dagon / Dharma / Positronics / Sombra tow-dash, tower-dash of Susannah’s youthful past in the 1960s, those wild, fulfilling, tragedy-sown years now a busker’s-show for Mia – (“It’s Odetta Holmes at the apotheosis of her life, and Mia is there!”) – then the Dogan Positronics blow a Whovian fuse in a ‘Flash of Gordon’ – as I do - with the book’s extremely powerful writing ensuing – in the Dixie Pig – including an initial Detta-force then quelled – as Susannah and Mia enter what I can only call a blend of the major ‘gathering’ scenes in ‘Eyes Wide Shut’ and ‘Rosemary’s Baby’ coupled with rat / bug horror images &c - the Hellish labour towards the child, Roland’s Childe, and even more dread! When reading it, I tried to think of other things – forspecial plates, even sharp dish’cus plates – but I kept coming back to this essentially nightmarish Long Pig of the Night. A Long Time a-Farrowing (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?12268-Mia-Farrowing). Has to be read, because, if I could do justice to it here, I would have written it first. But King was good enough to be the one to carry it, as the story-sitter. I read it, and by reading it created it for real. My eye doth fill, but it doth not spill. “Nothing opens the eye of memory like a song,” or a commala-mahler of a das lied von der erde. (13 Apr 11 – another 2 hours later)

Weirdmonger
04-14-2011, 11:03 AM
I've now reached The Dark Tower VII in my Real-Time Review:
http://nullimmortalis.wordpress.com/2011/04/14/the-dark-tower-the-dark-tower/

Here is a force called 'the White'. The BBC are currently showing an excellent dark Victorian drama serial entitled; The Crimson Petal and the White. That sounds relevant to the DT in more ways than one!

df lewis

Jean
04-15-2011, 01:27 AM
dear Weirdmonger: this thread will shortly be merged with that one (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?3086-Rereading-Diary-where-are-you-*spoilers*)

Weirdmonger
04-15-2011, 02:17 AM
I don't mind, other than the major point of the RTR is that it is a personal virgin first reading extrapolation, not a re-reading.
df lewis

Jean
04-15-2011, 02:42 AM
yes, but it's the place where individual reading progress is discussed. Otherwise, please start threads with clearly definied topics. :rose:

Weirdmonger
04-15-2011, 11:35 PM
V. In the Jungle, the Mighty Jungle

“To his intense horror, something had crawled inside his head. Something like a mental hand. He thought it was probably the low man who had spoken to him through the door. The low man’s hand had found dials in some kind of Jake Chambers Dogam, and was fiddling with them.” [Sic: Dogam]

Dogma, God Ma, Go Mad…

My virgin fiirst-reading real-time-review extrapolation of the whole series of novels linked from here:
http://nullimmortalis.wordpress.com/2011/02/18/my-real-time-reviews-of-stephen-king-the-dark-tower-etc/

Mia Farrowing theory here: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?12268-Mia-Farrowing
df lewis

sullivan19
04-16-2011, 01:27 AM
Just met Joe Collins for the third time. Whilst reading the series for a third time, I've decided Book 7 is the weakest.

Merlin1958
04-16-2011, 04:31 PM
Again, with all due respect to you, why would you come to a Dark Tower fan site, years after the volumes have been published and presume that anyone would be interested in your particular journey through the story, seperate and aside from the dozen's of existing threads already hosting ongoing discussions?

I mean no disrespect at all, but we've all been discussing the story in one way shape or form for quite some time now. It might be better to start a Book Club type discussion thread for virgins or re-readers alike, no? I might get involved in that.

I hope I said that all in the proper fashion.

Jean
04-16-2011, 08:21 PM
Merlin: I thought about creating a new thread like this - for first-time readers, in addition to the existing reread thread - but I am not quite clear as to its purpose. As you said, if someone has something to say, they should either choose among the many existing threads, or start their own, clearly stating the discussion topic for everyone to see whether or not they are interested and have something to add. Otherwise, there would be no way for anyone to follow any discussion consistently, and the whole idea of a structurized set of forums will be lost. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/bear_flower.gif

Weirdmonger
04-18-2011, 10:46 AM
The Dark Tower (Novel VII)
Part Two
VIII. Notes from the Gingerbread House

"It's a place outside of time, outside of reality. I know you understand a little bit about the function of the Dark Tower; you understand its unifying purpose. Well, think of Gingerbread House as a balcony on the Tower: when we come here, we're outside the Tower but still attached to the Tower."

I have, for me, some very important information to impart on a personal level and I trust you agree. This chapter ends with the significance of the Writer - of Stephen King or 'Stephen King' - and of saving him from his becoming roadkill before the Beams are Broken, i.e. to cut a long story short into words that probably don't convey the true sense of what you would gain by reading the long story itself. In any event, tied up with that (as it has been throughout all these books) is the persistence of no. 19 in various places, and in words and names. And I've just realised that my own full name DESMOND FRANCIS LEWIS on my birth certificate is made up of 19 letters! I can't explain what a striking revelation it has been in realising this today. Also, incidentally, my definitive collection of stories is THE LAST BALCONY, perhaps replete with relevant synchronicities and still semi-aborted fruition. And, so, I must don my 'thinking cap'......

Weirdmonger
04-19-2011, 11:25 AM
II. Ves’-Ka Gan

“…;his [King's] eyes were shocked zeroes.”

Cf: Mike O'Driscoll's story - in Nemonymous One (2001) - entitled DOUBLE ZERO FOR EMPTINESS which was a fictional treatment of King's real-life incident of being knocked down while walking in 1999.

Weirdmonger
04-20-2011, 11:57 AM
I think some posts were inserted above after my latest two posts were written.
I was not ignoring the views others have expressed by posting them without referring to the newly inserted posts.
I shall endeavour to rationalise the position of any posts I make in future in the light of your comments.
Sorry for any broken paths or beams.
des

Jean
04-20-2011, 12:07 PM
I think some posts were inserted above after my latest two posts were written.
it happened because of the merge. All posts have time stamps, so when threads are merged, posts arrange themselves in the chronological order of their publishing. It does creats some confusion sometimes, but usually nothing serious. I can't rearrange the posts, because of the time stamps, but if any clarification is needed, I can insert a comment, or delete something, or, for example, if you start a thread with clearly stated purpose, I could move the relevant posts there (only remember, the first posted will come first in any new thread, too)

Weirdmonger
04-23-2011, 10:15 AM
I tiptoe in here to say that I've just completed my Real Time Review of the whole DARK TOWER series. Phew! Quite a rite of passage:
http://nullimmortalis.wordpress.com/2011/02/18/my-real-time-reviews-of-stephen-king-the-dark-tower-etc/

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEE! YOU! DON'T DARE MOCK ME! YOU DON'T DARE! EEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

Important to all bespoke imaginers, I'd opine.

Weirdmonger
04-24-2011, 12:40 AM
According to the Paschal Cycle today is Easter Weekend and Roland of Gilead's final approach to his Dark Tower that I read yesterday on St George's Day - and the Crimson King on his last balcony there was described as a dragon in human form!

Weirdmonger
05-01-2011, 11:46 AM
I just watched Citizen Kane - Xanadu = The Dark Tower. But Rosebud?

Weirdmonger
05-02-2011, 01:06 AM
I suppose a 'rosebud' sled (an iconic image) on snow or ice would have been the diametrical opposite to most of the hard-pushed, friction-jolting contraptions that Susannah had to endure as transportation? (Kane's Xanadu appears like the Dark Tower itself on the editions of the books I own.)

PS: And Kane begins Ka...

PPS: And someone else has mentioned, after seeing my theory above, that 'The Horn of Eld" = Rosebud

PPPS: There seems to be a resonance between ‘roland’ and ‘rosebud’, and in fact there was a Roland Rosebud in this list of Montana Indians: http://mdenney.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=419

http://nullimmortalis.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/citizen-kane/

beam*seeker
05-03-2011, 08:31 AM
Just finished book 7 after a reread of the whole shebang. Wondering where to start with the graphic novels, comics? Any advice?

Brainslinger
05-04-2011, 07:20 AM
I'd start with the first series published. The Gunslinger Born. It would probably be cheaper to get the collection, but if you would like the backstory excerpt stuff which includes some Furth penned Mid-World history/mythology stuff then you'd need to go for the individual comics.

It covers much of the stuff you've read in Wizard and Glass, but it does follow other off-stage stuff too not mentioned in the books. The later comics cover ground between WaG and The Gunslinger. Mostly new stuff.

Apparently there are omnibus collection(s) coming out too which collect the backstory stuff (I'm not sure if they're separate or with the comics. Was never clear on that) but those volumes are pricey.

The Road Virus
05-14-2011, 11:39 AM
I tried to take up the task (really, pleasure) of re-reading the series again a couple months ago. I took it on a plane and finished just past the Tull massacre. However, I left the book at my g/fs house in Philly (I live in Chi-town) and it has stayed there while I moved onto new (for me) books. I am currently reading The Stand. I do plan to return to the series, after finding out about the release date of 4.5 I have decided to start reading 2 or 3 months prior to its release so I'll have just finished WAG and make it a steady progression in order :)

Harrald
01-25-2012, 01:22 PM
I just finished my second time through the series. I found that I was impatient while reading the last book. I knew where I was going and I wanted to get there. The ending still chilled me. Not as much as the first time. That time I just sat with my mouth hanging open for 15 minutes. This time it was maybe 5 minutes.

I'm off to the library to get the first book. My bride is going to give these a chance. I expect she'll make it through half of the third book before she just sorta leaves it alone. Maybe I'll be surprised though.

Fyrehardt
08-18-2012, 10:31 PM
It's about time for my annual read-through. I go through all 7 books about once a year ever since DT7 came out. This year, of course, I have to add Little Sisters and Wind to the reading list as well, and I'll be taking a suggestion I read on these forums somewhere to read the original Gunslinger at the beginning, and then finish the read-through with the revised Gunslinger.

The kids just started school for the year, so I figure I'll have some time to curl up with a book over the next couple of weeks. So, back on the path of the beam, I say thankya!
:fairy:

Letti
08-18-2012, 11:27 PM
It's about time for my annual read-through. I go through all 7 books about once a year ever since DT7 came out. This year, of course, I have to add Little Sisters and Wind to the reading list as well, and I'll be taking a suggestion I read on these forums somewhere to read the original Gunslinger at the beginning, and then finish the read-through with the revised Gunslinger.

The kids just started school for the year, so I figure I'll have some time to curl up with a book over the next couple of weeks. So, back on the path of the beam, I say thankya!

Wow, so you are a real DT junkie. Welcome to the board. :)
When are you planning to read Wind? After book 4?

Fyrehardt
08-19-2012, 05:18 PM

Well, the tradition started when DT7 came out right after my divorce, and my "celebration of surviving" was curling up at a friend's house for a couple days doing nothing but reading and sleeping while my kids were at their Nana's. So, I do it almost every year now as a mind cleanser/vacation.

I figure I'll read Wind right after DT4 since that's when it fits the timeline. Adding that and the revised DT1 to the end might make the read-through a bit longer this year, but I'm a stay-at-home mom at the moment, so, like I said, I'll be able to find some time while the kids are at school because I barely watch any TV or movies. :)

Letti
08-20-2012, 10:45 PM

Well, the tradition started when DT7 came out right after my divorce, and my "celebration of surviving" was curling up at a friend's house for a couple days doing nothing but reading and sleeping while my kids were at their Nana's. So, I do it almost every year now as a mind cleanser/vacation.

I figure I'll read Wind right after DT4 since that's when it fits the timeline. Adding that and the revised DT1 to the end might make the read-through a bit longer this year, but I'm a stay-at-home mom at the moment, so, like I said, I'll be able to find some time while the kids are at school because I barely watch any TV or movies. :)

That's very impressive. I love to think that I am the biggest DT fan but I have read the series just three times so I think I must hide under the sofa. ;)
But I am planning to reread it soon.

Chantarelle
10-26-2012, 01:26 PM
Am about halfway through Book 7. I read Wind earlier this year and was so disappointed that I had to go back to the beginning to make up for it. Amazingly, I still pick up new things with each read through. This time, toward the end of 6, Mia is made to lick Sayre's boots, and I've never until now noticed how similar that is to Sheemie in WaG. Poor Sheemie

Melike
12-05-2012, 08:57 AM
I am in Blaine. Roland is asking riddles currently.

Letti
12-05-2012, 11:03 AM

How many times have you read the series, Melike? Do you read it in English?

Melike
12-05-2012, 11:13 AM

Letti, ready to be shocked. :) This is my second re-read planned to be from beginning to the end. I randomly started and quit, re-read books individually... I am reading in English, for the first time.

Letti
12-05-2012, 01:35 PM

Letti, ready to be shocked. :) This is my second re-read planned to be from beginning to the end. I randomly started and quit, re-read books individually... I am reading in English, for the first time.

Oh, I am not that shocked at all. I myself have read it just three times. : )
And now you are reading it in English, so great. The Hungarian translation is absolutely good but for me it was really ***amazing*** to read it in English. : )

Melike
12-06-2012, 12:51 AM

Oh, I am not that shocked at all. I myself have read it just three times. : )
And now you are reading it in English, so great. The Hungarian translation is absolutely good but for me it was really ***amazing*** to read it in English. : )

After I read the English version, I realized Turkish version is so dull. Feels like translation ate the soul of the sentences.
The only Turkish translation I have respect for is Lord of the Rings.

Melike
12-13-2012, 11:40 AM
The stand off between the Gunslinger and Big Coffin Hunters at Traveler's Rest... It was the reason why I'd loved this book so much.

Melike
12-25-2012, 11:37 AM
After my re-read of Wizard and the Glass, I started to my first read of The Wind Through the Keyhole.
About re-reading... I've forgotten too many things. And it is a great feeling. Getting surprised again by so many details.
I've read WatG nearly 10 years before. And it has been one of my favorites of the series, like all other seven books were, from time to time. :)
Now, as the ten years older me, I am fascinated with how natural the Rhea's ugliness and darkness is. I never thought Susan's and Roland's love was lame, also was never a fan of it.
But it is so weird to me how people are likely to call everything "teenage" lame, like they have passed that era directly and skipped to late twenties. Actually, after reading that part again, I saw King is really great at sociology and human psychology at a high levels.

Melike
01-23-2013, 01:42 AM
Today I started The Dark Tower.
Callahan's death was the most touching death for me. I read it today. And decided it remains the same.
It is so sad to realize how weak the Turkish translation was. It makes me angry when I see some parts have been left out.

Melike
01-30-2013, 06:54 AM
I finished my re-read yesterday. It was full of variable emotions again...
I find the ending much more amazing than I remembered.

thegunslinger41
01-30-2013, 08:01 AM
Actually reading through the Plume edition of THE GUNSLINGER....this will be my 3rd read and about 2nd audio-read. Anyhooo...as good as ever.

Will definitely have to re-listen to the entire series....again here soon.

G

fernandito
03-07-2013, 10:27 AM
About 140 pages into The Wastelands.

Q : what is the significance of 'Go slow past the Drawers, gunslinger. While you travel with the boy, the man soul travels with your soul in his pocket.'

It's alluded that the Drawers are another name for the Wastelands ... but what does Roland needing to travel slow past them and traveling with Jake have to do with his soul? I feel like I'm missing something crucial.

Melike
03-08-2013, 03:08 AM
About 140 pages into The Wastelands.

Q : what is the significance of 'Go slow past the Drawers, gunslinger. While you travel with the boy, the man soul travels with your soul in his pocket.'

It's alluded that the Drawers are another name for the Wastelands ... but what does Roland needing to travel slow past them and traveling with Jake have to do with his soul? I feel like I'm missing something crucial.

The Drawers are the Wastelands, but it is also places of desolation as Roland had said.
Q: "It might mean a trash-midden. It might mean a whorehouse or a place where men came to gamble or chew devil-weed. But the most common meanind that I know in also the simplest. The Drawers are places of desolation, The Drawers are the wastelands."

I always thought in your quote (I believe it is from the gunslinger) it is referred to the place under the mountains where they saw slow mutants.
The Gunslinger travelling with Jake was Man in Black's plan from the beginning. He knew Roland would have the dilemma: Letting Jake die to catch The Man in Black or letting Man in Black run away to save Jake's life. Either way Man in Black would get what he wanted.
If Roland would have slowed down to save Jake, Man in Black would be able to get away and make new plans against Roland.
Roland let Jake go, and caught Man in Black, in the second part of the Wastelands, he saved Jake behind the Pusher's door like Man in Black wanted/guessed/knew and created a paradox. This paradox made Roland sick, insane. Which was Man in Black's real intention. Roland would go mad and wouldn't be a threat to their evil plan about the Dark Tower.
So Jake was the key to Man in Black's plan of manipulating Roland. Having his soul in his pocket might refer to this.
But everything serves to Ka, so man in Black did the same putting Jake on Roland's way.

Anyway, I may completely be wrong.

fernandito
03-11-2013, 06:54 AM
Very interesting food for thought Melike. I especially like this part ...

So Jake was the key to Man in Black's plan of manipulating Roland. Having his soul in his pocket might refer to this.
But everything serves to Ka, so man in Black did the same putting Jake on Roland's way.

Letti
01-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Is anybody planning to reread the series this year?

Jean
01-03-2014, 12:28 AM
bears are always planning, and then something gets in the way!

B Rag
01-25-2014, 12:19 PM
I am strongly considering it. I've only read I - VII once, but last night I was toking and listening to King Crimson and it made me think about Roland and his journey.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
01-26-2014, 02:09 PM
I am rereading the series for the 2nd complete read. (I've read the first 4 books several more times) I am at Wolves of Calla. Love it, this and W & G are my two faves. This will actually be the first full time through if you count LSOE and WTTK.

stroppygoblin
01-28-2014, 07:52 AM
not actually re-reading but having them read to me. I'm in the car a lot (I do a lot of European travel so end up driving to and from Heathrow airport at least once a week (2 hours there and back))
Currently back in the Wastelands, having just killed Shardik. The anticipation waiting Jake's school story to begin is just palpable! (Blaine's a train and he's a pain.... :clap: ).

I have read the series many times over the years and books 1 - 4 at least 20 times and have listened to them all on audio. This will however be the first audio 'read' back to back that includes WTTKH.

I drove back home last week and actually drove around for another 20 minutes just so I could get to the end of DOTT and Roland making Detta/Odetta face one another!

Jean
01-28-2014, 09:47 AM
I would love to reread the whole thing.

Unfortunately, just as I was going to do so, a supernatural creature at whom I won't point with my finger, but who is well known around here gave me the key to a superb colleciton of books, thus opening a whole radiant new world, and putting an end to all attempts at massive rereads, sleep, work, or personal life.

Deaf&Dumb
05-15-2014, 09:30 PM
On read number three of the series, currently reading The Wastelands. Mr Dean is currently pulling guard duty trying to figure out the riddle, There is a thing that nothing is, and yet it has a name. It's sometimes tall and sometimes short, joins our talks, joins our sport, and plays at every game.

Jacqui
05-16-2014, 02:06 AM
I don't actually have the books (not for the lack of trying...) but I have all of the audiobooks, and I'm just getting around to a relisten to Wolves of the Calla

Jean
05-17-2014, 05:05 AM
it's the best of these books, isn't it?

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/excited.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/excited.gif.html)

Girlystevedave
05-17-2014, 07:16 AM
I'm seriously contemplating doing a re-read of Wizard and Glass, not because it's a favorite, but because I really want to revisit the DT world, and that one stands apart from the others. :orely:

divemaster
05-17-2014, 05:49 PM
That's the one I go back to if I want a Dark Tower fix without committing to a whole new re-read. Plus, it *is* my favorite.

Deaf&Dumb
05-21-2014, 07:42 AM
I've just recently finished The Wastelands, and am currently at the point in W&G where Mr.Dean is riddling Blaine, and Blaine is losing his mind trying to answer Eddies nonsensical riddles.

Girlystevedave
05-21-2014, 07:47 AM
That's the one I go back to if I want a Dark Tower fix without committing to a whole new re-read. Plus, it *is* my favorite.

Yeah. I've read it quite a few times to get that DT fix, too. :thumbsup:

I've just recently finished The Wastelands, and am currently at the point in W&G where Mr.Dean is riddling Blaine, and Blaine is losing his mind trying to answer Eddies nonsensical riddles.

Ah! This was probably the part of the series that made me really love Eddie. :)

Damnit. I need to stay away from this thread. It makes me want to start the series from the beginning even though I have other unfinished books I need to complete. :lol:

Deaf&Dumb
05-21-2014, 08:08 AM

Yeah. I've read it quite a few times to get that DT fix, too. :thumbsup:

Ah! This was probably the part of the series that made me really love Eddie. :)

Damnit. I need to stay away from this thread. It makes me want to start the series from the beginning even though I have other unfinished books I need to complete. :lol:

I have 4 or 5 books that are all bookmarked about a quarter of the way through, because I always end up with a DT book in my hands.

Girlystevedave
05-21-2014, 08:15 AM
There is nothing quite like it. :)

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-21-2014, 08:24 AM
Currently post Wolves, trying to build up the resolve to read SoS again. It is my least favorite of the series.

Jean
05-21-2014, 10:29 AM
you don't have to rub it in

Deaf&Dumb
05-21-2014, 10:32 AM
Currently post Wolves, trying to build up the resolve to read SoS again. It is my least favorite of the series.

I LOVE SoS. Gets better with every read......for me at least.

Jean
05-21-2014, 10:40 AM
it does

it was nothing to sneeze at to begin with, either

BROWNINGS CHILDE
05-21-2014, 10:42 AM
Well, I have never reread it or DT VII, so I will reassess soon. I am currently working my way through our list though, so I may be stuck at this point for some time.

ka-tetcast
09-28-2014, 05:09 PM
Just started my second read through. Just finished at Tull and up to the Way Station.

Gnagsta
10-27-2014, 02:58 PM
Halfway through book VII on my fourth series reach-through. This is the first with including Wind Through The Keyhole, however. That one was a little slow to get into for me, considering the wordslinger's style of story this go-round. But I must say, well worth the effort! Slowest moving for me would be IV, Wizard & Glass. But to get through the Mejis story arc, I picked up the Marvel Comics adaptation of the tale and it gave a nice mental image when reading through the book itself.

CalvinToren
10-30-2014, 02:10 AM
I definitely recommand everyone to read the whole series more than once, there are too many things you do not notice the first time. Currently reading SoS (2nd time), Eddie and Roland arrived at mr. King's house.

Gnagsta
10-31-2014, 10:01 PM
Finished my fourth readthrough. After finishing book III I read the Marvel Comics adaptation of the Mejis story, continued with book IV, then on to WTTK and completed through VII.

fernandito
11-12-2014, 02:10 PM
About 200 pages into Wizard & Glass.

divemaster
11-12-2014, 02:12 PM
About 200 pages into Wizard & Glass.

Ah, the book everyone seems to hate.

(It's my second favorite King book. Not just Dark Tower, but overall. :) )

Jacqui
11-30-2014, 10:11 AM
I managed to get hold of the last three books, and The Wind Through The Keyhole, in hardback from a local charity shop for a pound each. I keep putting off reading them, as I'd like to read the first four first...maybe I'm gonna regret that and just pick up Wolves, but it's difficult since I had my son. Perhaps I didn't mention that- it was a bit of a surprise and I didn't know until I was 28 weeks pregnant. And because they're hardbacks, I can't exactly read them over his head when I'm feeding him, like I do with paperbacks...

Anyway, before I left work I managed to listen to them up to halfway through Song of Susannah. I kinda miss them though. And I'm desperate for those earlier books- especially if I could get them in hardback, they'd match the rest of my shelf :D

stephenkingcast
12-09-2014, 04:02 PM
I've just re-read The Gunslinger, and will be revisited The Drawing of the Three in a few weeks (if I ever get through the Talisman! That one is taking awhile). This is now at least the fourth time I will have read Books 1-4, my 3 go around with 5-6 and my 2nd with book 7. I'm very, very interested in revisiting book seven now that I can re-read it with more objectivity than I did the first time around.

Xerrand
06-27-2015, 02:47 PM
I'm reading book 7 again for the fourth time in three years or so, I don't think I'll ever not want to re-read a DT book no matter how many times I've done it already :lol:, at the moment I'm at the part where they just saved King and my beloved Jake entered the clearing. It was re-reading this book that led me to discovering this forum actually because I absolutely NEEDED somebody to discuss it with, and I've already bored my girlfriend to tears with all my DT nonsense :P

Girlystevedave
06-29-2015, 01:08 PM
It definitely helps to be able to discuss it with people who have also lived it. :)

Xerrand
07-09-2015, 05:05 AM
For sure. Also a little bit off topic, but I re-read Salem's lot recently and noticed a possible continuity error. The main villain of the book is a type one vampire, so shouldn't that mean that he is a grandfather? Although he is described as having human form. :O!!

fernandito
07-10-2015, 11:08 AM
My memory is a bit fuzzy... does anyone remember exactly how the Low Men were used in the DT series?

Xerrand
07-13-2015, 03:34 AM
What exactly do you mean by how they were used? If you mean what their purpose was, they were just general servants of the King - they scouted psychic talent in a lot of worlds and took the people they discovered to become breakers.

Girlystevedave
03-15-2016, 10:28 AM
I'm about halfway through DotT right now.

Something that stood out for me a few days ago while reading: When Detta is first described/introduced, it comes with a single run-on sentence that lasts for 2 1/2 pages. I'm not sure why I felt the need to mention that, but...

Girlystevedave
03-26-2016, 05:34 AM
Started The Wastelands. :D

The Gasherman
08-09-2016, 05:39 PM
A few pages after Ake discovered the Dogan. 3rd time around

Twoguysdarktower
12-11-2016, 06:54 PM
I've just finished the Gunslinger for the first time in about 27 years. Getting ready to start Drawing of the Three. My memory is very hazy on this one. I read The Waste Lands but have no recollection of it and haven't ready beyond that. I'm reading with my friend for a podcast we are doing (see links below). This is his fourth time through.

fernandito
12-12-2016, 09:38 AM
I'm sure I've mentioned this elsewhere in the thread, but I randomly reread The Gunslinger on its own about once every half year or so. I'm fairly positive I've read it about 15 or so times.

Love that book to death.

Deaf&Dumb
08-01-2017, 09:59 AM
As of right now I'm on re-read number 7 or 8 of the series. Working my way through Wizard And Glass. Out of all of the books, Wind Through The Keyhole included, WAG is my absolute least favorite. It seems to take me weeks to make my way through.

Eldred Jonas
07-27-2018, 02:07 PM
I’ve only just finished the series, and I’m already listening to it again, I miss the story too much ah!

Recouper
10-30-2018, 01:30 PM
Ok, so I've just started reading The Gunslinger. It's actually my first time. I'm just up to where Roland has found Jake at the Way Station and has regressed him back to find out were he was from. It's really facinating.
It's been a bit rough, people got shot in Tull, everyone who lived there, people who were just trying to live. It was really sad. And then reading what happened to Jake was pretty hard. But the story is so captivating.
Chtorrwar19 told me about a number of Steven King books, I think she talked about this serries. It was a couple of years back now, on a beach after midnight, if you can imagine that. But the memory is really vague, so I don't know what's going to happen next.
I wonder what the Sorcerer's goals are. Where is he going? Why is Roland the man to hunt him down? But perhaps most facinating at the moment; what is the world that the story is taking place in? It seems to me like it might be a post apocolyptic future of this world. Like, our own contemporary times exist in the distant past of the story's world.

Eternal Unity
05-04-2019, 10:50 AM
Finished The Wind Through The Keyhole for the second time. I read it as DT 4.5.
Wolves of the Calla is next.
:)
Greg

Squirrel3697
09-05-2023, 12:33 PM
I reread DT again, I'm in the last part of the Dark Tower book 7. Oy just died and I'm sobbing. Again. I've read this so many times you would think I'd know it was coming