PDA

View Full Version : Dan Simmons

glm
05-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Right now I'm reading Summer of Night by Dan Simmons, it is n my way to becoming my 2nd favorite book. It is a lot like It (Which is my favorite book), so yeah . . . discuss.

Heather19
05-26-2008, 03:45 PM
I just read this one a couple of months ago, and loved it. It was kinda creepy. I then went and read the sequel A Winter Haunting right after it, but I really wish I hadn't. I couldn't stand where he went with the story in that one. I'd advise staying away from it.
Those are the only 2 books I've read by him, but I want to pick up his newest one The Terror soon. Have you read that one by any chance?

Randall Flagg
05-27-2008, 06:08 AM
The Terror has been mentioned as being very very slow-perhaps even boring.
Simmon's seminal work Song of Kali would be a great book to read.
Carrion Comfort, Lovedeath, The Hollow Man, and as a laugher-Fires of Eden would also be my recommendations.

jhanic
05-27-2008, 09:06 AM
I enjoyed The Terror. Yes, it's a bit slow-going at times, but I certainly would NOT recommend reading it on a cold, snowy day!

Song of Kali remains one of my most favorite books. I was lucky enough to get a copy of the signed limited anniversary edition that came out a little while ago.

John

Heather19
05-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Thanks guys, I might check out some of those. What's Song of Kali about?

jhanic
05-27-2008, 01:53 PM
How evil the city of Calcutta is. Of course, it's a lot more than that, but that's the basic idea. It's a great read!!

John

Randall Flagg
05-28-2008, 02:19 PM
Thanks guys, I might check out some of those. What's Song of Kali about?

"Bobby Luczac accepts an assignment from Harper's magazine to go to India to retrieve a poetry manuscript allegedly written by a man that has been presumed dead for the last eight years. He takes his wife and seven month old baby with him, never dreaming that he is about to expose them, as well as himself, to one of the most filthy and evil cities in the world. Calcutta is a noisy, dirty, crowded city and as Bobby soon discovers, it is an extremely dangerous city, too. He and his family are drawn into the machinations of a religious cult that worships the goddess Kali, a cruel and demanding deity whose doctrine is based on violence as a means to gaining power. An exciting, nerve-wracking and ultimately heart-breaking story which is downright terrorizing at times, "Song of Kali" has been awarded The World Fantasy Award and is well deserving of the honor. "
Bill Brumlow, Resident Scholar

At the beginning of Dan Simmons' World Fantasy Award-winning debut novel, his protagonist Robert Luczak is something of an innocent idealist. A poet and journalist, he is commissioned to write an article on M. Das, a famous Indian poet who disappeared some years ago and is now rumoured to have resurfaced (or perhaps have been resurrected) in Calcutta. More than this, Das has apparently written a new epic work and Luczak is to negotiate for the rights to publish this in America. It all sounds fairly straightforward -- go to India, meet the man, offer the money and reap the kudos, but by the end of Song of Kali, Luczak has journeyed to the very centre of Hell itself and the man who returns with nothing, is a man who has lost everything in the process.

Simmons' really hits the ground running with this hugely accomplished and beautifully plotted first novel. From the outset there is a grim sense of foreboding, exemplified by Luczak's old friend and mentor asking him not to go -- the request is made very simply, without drama or histrionics -- indeed it forms the opening sentence of the first chapter and from that moment on, the reader knows that Luczak should have heeded this advice. But of course, he doesn't, instead choosing to make the trip and to exacerbate his vulnerability in the reader's mind, Simmons has him take along his beautiful wife and baby daughter. And so the tension is wound tight early in this novel, but it is when Luczak arrives in Calcutta that Song of Kali begins to turn the thumbscrews on the reader and the result is as harrowing a story as I've ever read.
In Song of Kali, Calcutta equates to chaos -- the city as evoked by Simmons is a savage, uncontrollable place, aggressive and filthy, unfathomable and alien. Immediately upon arrival, Luczak is plunged into the foul, sweating heart of the place and we soon learn that his search for M. Das will be far from simple. Instead he is lured further and further into the dark underbelly of the city where he uncovers a chilling story of ancient cults and human sacrifice.
Song of Kali is an extraordinary novel, particularly so given that it was Simmons' first to be published. Any more plot summary and I'd be ruining it for you. What strikes me most about it is its freshness and immediacy. If you watch a movie from 1985, you generally have to do so whilst overlooking the things that have dated it -- not so with novels and certainly not with this one. Instead Song of Kali is one of those rare pieces that makes the reader feel a little soiled by the end of it. It is a grim, relentless, unforgiving and ultimately compulsive read and it is not hard to see why its author has grown into one of genre's most important figures.
Copyright © 2004 John Berlyne (himself@johnberlyne.com?subject=Song of Kali)

Heather19
05-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Thanks, sounds pretty interesting. I'll try to pick it up soon.

Jean
08-04-2012, 07:52 AM
Bears have just finished Summer of Night and thought we might need a Simmons thread; so they've unearthed and renamed the old archived Summer of Night thread.

Jean
08-04-2012, 08:02 AM
Now, talking about Summer of Night: who was your favorite character?

Mine is definitely Cordie Cooke.

Which part did you find the most scary/disturbing?

I think that bit when Mike

hears a baby crying - and then feeding - inside the Rendering truck

is one of the most disturbing places in the world's literature

WeDealInLead
08-05-2012, 10:12 AM
Mike was mine. He's one of the main characters in Children of the Night. That book was alright, if maybe a little too straight forward for Simmons.

Brice
08-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Of Simmons' novels I have only read Song Of Kali, Carrion Comfort, and Drood. So far after a couple tries I haven't been able to finish The Terror. His short stories are also good.

WeDealInLead
08-05-2012, 04:13 PM
I find his stuff pretty hit or miss. He's a fan of "writting well" and I respect him for not wanting to be confined to a single genre but, sometimes "writting well" gets in the way of a good story. He does ridicilous ammount of research but it somehow comes across like he's trying to teach/preach. I just read something by Graham Masterton in the CD magazine that says you should do your reasearch and let your work show it, not lecture someone. I'm paraphrasing but it's something like that. I bring this up because of Black Hills. The book is extremely well-researched, extremely well-written and the subject would normally interest me, but he manages to somehow make it BORING. He infuses Native language and immidiately translates it into English. It soon gets over-bearing and it starts to feel like a history lesson. That's the only book of his I actually disliked. It would've been much better if he trimmed 200-300 pages.

Phases of Gravity was a good human story but not much actually happened. I liked it but it left no lasting impression. It's sorta bullshitty. You know, trying to be deep but there's nothing really there. Again, I liked it but will probably never re-read it.

Song of Kali was a good first book but not his best. For first effort though, it's miles ahead of Carrie for example. It's a pretty straight forward story, no bells and whistles.

Children of the Night is a vampire book. The most horrifying scene isn't even supernatural. I felt very uneasy during it. It's set in an orphange in Romania. I liked it more than SoK.

Summer of Night I really, really liked. I see a re-read in future. He's really starting to show his strenght here. Writting is flawless, the story moves along fast enough.

My favourite (many on TDT don't share my view) is the Hyperion Cantos: Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion. These are very demanding books. You can't read them on the bus or in the park. Make a coffee, unplug the phone and commit a few hours to it each day. Yes, it's science fiction and no, it's not like any other science fiction you've ever read. The books transcend the S.F. genre. Hyperion is basically a 500+ page set up for The Fall of Hyperion. Its structure is actually similar to IT. Each pilgrim tells his story as to why he was chosen to join the others on the pilgrimage to the Shrike temples. The Shrike is one of the most brutal villains in all literature. The Fall.. is my favourite though. It's ridicilously layered. I don't think I even got all of it to be honest. I LOVE S.F., Niven and Clarke are my bread and butter but their works aren't of this scope. It's space opera, it's politics, it's love and fucking, it's betrayal, savage battles, suffering, commraderie and it's absolutely HUGE. I recommend these two more than any other ones I mentioned.

Brice
08-05-2012, 04:51 PM
I couldn't even get 50 pages into Hyperion. I tried a few times. I ended up giving the book away.

sgc1999
08-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Hyperion signed limited $175 pm me if interested. also have Carrion comfort signed limited for reasonable offer. just sayin:)

Patrick
08-07-2012, 05:27 PM
... His short stories are also good.

I haven't read much Simmons beyond his novel, DROOD, but a couple years ago, I read his short story, MUSE OF FIRE. I quite enjoyed it.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j158/JHPatrick/Books/Simmons-MuseFire-HC1.jpg

Heather19
08-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Of Simmons' novels I have only read Song Of Kali, Carrion Comfort, and Drood. So far after a couple tries I haven't been able to finish The Terror. His short stories are also good.

:( The Terror is one of my favorite books. And you haven't read Summer of Night? Maybe I just assumed you had. But you must add that to the top of your list.

Brice
08-07-2012, 07:42 PM
Ah! I want to, but I may be out of bookbuying for a while. :( I've spent way too much lately and my funds are tapped for months to come. It is one I've always wanted to read though. The Terror, I'm sure I will try again, but the nautical themes really do nothing for me. For the same reason I can't really get into most Joseph Conrad stories as much as I should. For some reason those themes turn me off in a book. The horror may win out though in the long run. I do love me some horror.

Heather19
08-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Yeah I'm not into that stuff either, but just the premise of them being trapped up there really got to me. And I thought he did a wonderful job with executing that idea.

Brice
08-08-2012, 08:22 PM
As much as I read I did too. I just thought it could have been better shorter.

Jean
08-08-2012, 10:01 PM
I just thought it could have been better shorter.same with Summer of Night

Brice
08-09-2012, 07:05 AM
Yeah, but I think The Terror could have stood to lose a few hundred pages...kinda like I found the novella of Carrion Comfort superior to the novel in some ways.

Heather19
08-09-2012, 10:42 AM
As much as I read I did too. I just thought it could have been better shorter.

The only thing I think he should have omitted was the ending. Didn't flow well with the rest of the story for me.

I just thought it could have been better shorter.same with Summer of Night

Really? I thought it was perfect. It's already on the shorter side.

Jean
08-09-2012, 10:53 AM
well - yes and no. I wish there was more of some things, and more of some other things, but less of yet other, like descriptions of nature

Dan
08-30-2012, 02:15 PM
I listened to The Black Hills audiobook on a trip the last two days. I was not very impressed. It went on and on and on. There was a lot of background that wasn't necessary to the story. I don't know if I should give him another try. It seems as though Summer of Night is well received here, but if it drones on like The Black Hills, I don't know.

jhanic
08-30-2012, 05:15 PM
I agree with your opinion of Black Hills. Definitely NOT one of Simmons' better works.

John

WeDealInLead
08-30-2012, 05:30 PM
I agree with your opinion of Black Hills. Definitely NOT one of Simmons' better works.

John

+1

That's definitely not a good first book.

sgc1999
08-30-2012, 06:01 PM
My favorite simmons, without a doubt, is Carrion comfort. really, really good!

Jean
08-31-2012, 02:06 AM
I listened to The Black Hills audiobook on a trip the last two days. I was not very impressed. It went on and on and on. There was a lot of background that wasn't necessary to the story. I don't know if I should give him another try. It seems as though Summer of Night is well received here, but if it drones on like The Black Hills, I don't know.

No, I can assure you it doesn't drone!

frik
08-31-2012, 07:38 AM
My favorite simmons, without a doubt, is Carrion comfort. really, really good!

+1

sk

sgc1999
08-31-2012, 07:54 AM
:)

Jean
08-31-2012, 10:39 AM
“CARRION COMFORT is one of the three greatest horror novels of the 20th century. Simple as that.” —Stephen King

interesting. I'll definitely be reading it soon

Dan
08-31-2012, 12:36 PM
OK. I have two I am willing to try.

WeDealInLead
09-02-2012, 06:20 AM
Which ones do you have?

WeDealInLead
09-02-2012, 06:27 AM
I read Muse of Fire last month. It's a novella and if the limited from Subterranean is too expensive for you, you can also find it in the anthology The New Space Opera. It's S.F. but it's also very heavy on Shakespeare. Basically, humanity is enslaved and a group of actors is allowed to travel the system and perform Shakespeare. They end up facing a God and having to perform for him. That's the simplified version.

Dan
09-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Which ones do you have?

The only other book I own from him is The Terror. I picked up a while back in paperback for a buck. I get audiobooks from the library and listen while running or driving.

jhanic
09-02-2012, 05:20 PM
The Terror is the one that got me back into reading Simmons again. I really enjoyed that book. (Just don't read it in the Winter!)

John

mikeC
09-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Which ones do you have?

The only other book I own from him is The Terror. I picked up a while back in paperback for a buck. I get audiobooks from the library and listen while running or driving.

I finished listening to Summer of Night a couple months ago and thought it was great. This was my first Simmons book and it took about 2 discs to get into his style of writing but after that it was smooth sailing.

Heather19
09-05-2012, 05:20 PM
Which ones do you have?

The Terror is the one that got me back into reading Simmons again. I really enjoyed that book. (Just don't read it in the Winter!)

John

The Terror is excellent. One of my favorite books. And I always tell people to read it in the winter. Makes it more terrifying that way :lol:

Dan
09-07-2012, 10:08 AM
I'm halfway through listening to Summer of Night. Love it! Much better than Black Hills. I will wait until winter for The Terror, although I'm not sure why. I don't like spoilers, so don't tell me.

Jean
09-07-2012, 10:37 AM
I love spoilers, and I looked it up, and I will totally wait until winter

Dan
09-07-2012, 11:18 AM
My wife looks up the spoilers for every movie she watches. It drives me crazy. I don't even read the back of the book to get a synopsis. I like going in blind.

Heather19
09-07-2012, 01:11 PM
I love spoilers, and I looked it up, and I will totally wait until winter
Excellent! You're going to love it.

My wife looks up the spoilers for every movie she watches. It drives me crazy. I don't even read the back of the book to get a synopsis. I like going in blind.

I do that with movies. The less I know the better. Never did it with books though.

WeDealInLead
09-07-2012, 05:56 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Fall-of-Hyperion-by-Dan-Simmons-2011-CD-Unabridged-/271054901103?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item3f1c218f6f

That's a sweet deal and as cheap as it will ever get.

Dan
09-18-2012, 12:53 PM
OK, I really like Drood. Some of it was hard to follow due to the fact that the narratoris on opium through the entire story. I also read that Gueillermo Del Toro might be doing a movie adaptation of this book.

Jean
02-01-2013, 01:10 AM
motherfucking Simmons has broken my heart

Yes, I was totally aware that they will all die - it's history, after all. But I couldn't fucking sleep this night, after what happened to Irving. I actually cried real tears, over everyone - Irving (how happy he had just been, a real explorer), the Esquimaux, the doomed others, all goddam history of mankind.

Dan
02-01-2013, 04:28 AM
motherfucking Simmons has broken my heart

Yes, I was totally aware that they will all die - it's history, after all. But I couldn't fucking sleep this night, after what happened to Irving. I actually cried real tears, over everyone - Irving (how happy he had just been, a real explorer), the Esquimaux, the doomed others, all goddam history of mankind.

This is one way I judge a book. If it has emotional effect on me, I know that I love it. And I couldn't agree more with your statement.

sgc1999
02-01-2013, 07:10 AM
I have a lettered Hyperion for sale if anyone is interested.

thegunslinger41
02-01-2013, 07:12 AM
Yep, yep, yep...The Terror was really good indeed!

Jean
02-06-2013, 10:28 AM
bears have nothing special to say... they have just come here to vent because these feelings can't be contained within one ursine being...

How perfect the structure is:

The most moving, beautiful, touching scene - the two captains at the cairn - and then the next chapter, Goodsir's diary entry starts with Fitzjames's death. Then all those other deaths, in quick succession - Blanky, who died just as, I believe, everybody expected (should I say hoped? It was a beautiful death), then Peglar - and the tragedy of which we only see the aftermath, which is worse than it would have been if described in details; then Bridgens; the near-mutinee and the splitting -------
But the horrible thing is, I know that they are all doomed, but nevertheless I can't help but hope, all the time, in every particular situation, that they will live, that at least those remaining will find this fucking open water and go back home!.. Moreover, I am sure that I will be hoping every time I reread the book. Hoping that Franklin agrees to Crozier's plan at the very beginning. Hoping that Irving is not caught by surprise, but beats the shit out of Hickey, and the Esquimaux will save the expedition. And so on, till the end. I mean - that's what makes a book really really great, isn't it?

WeDealInLead
02-06-2013, 12:33 PM
I'm not clicking the spoiler, but I will bump this up in the TBR pile upon seeing the positive reviews here. Before that though, I need to tackle Carrion Comfort. That one is third in que this month.

biomieg
02-06-2013, 12:38 PM
I only read Children of the Night so far, which I really liked... so I need to get me some more Simmons as well!!

sgc1999
02-06-2013, 12:45 PM
Hey Michael,
ill trade you a signed limited sub press Hyperion and a signed advance reader proof of endymion both brand new mint unread copies for your UK saloms lot?

biomieg
02-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Hahaha, thanks for thinking of me Simon but I'd rather sell them - just like Tom I have a 'wedding fund' going on at the moment. But it's a great offer!!

sgc1999
02-06-2013, 02:20 PM
I hear ya:)

Heather19
02-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Jean :huglove:

I love The Terror. It's one of my all-time favorites. It is heartbreaking, and I too kept hoping for the same thing.

Jean
02-07-2013, 12:28 AM
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Messages/hug4.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Messages/hug4.gifhttp://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Messages/hug4.gif

WeDealInLead
02-12-2013, 03:07 PM
I just ordered The Rise of Endymion. I'm finally ready to complete the Cantos. I'll miss it when it's done.

WeDealInLead
03-03-2013, 10:48 AM
I'm close to 600 pages into Carrion Comfort and I'm sorry to say this, at this point I don't care what happens to anyone anymore, the "vampires" and Saul and Natalie. The action is super fast but there's just seems too much of it. Every time the story moves forward a little, he introduces a secondary character, the character dies, nothing gets accomplished, the story simply continues. Imagine you're watching Die Hard that's 8 hours long... how long do you think before you start start making popcorn runs without even pausing the movie because you know you can be gone for 5 minutes and not miss a thing? It's like this: protagonist gets involved, goes to NYC, DC, back home, dies. Other protagonists do the same but they also go to Israel (I'm still trying to understand why, everything was available in the US or even Austria), then to Mexico just to illegally return to the US. There are a few "vampires" too and they each have their stories, back stories, plots and sub-plots.

I make this seem like a bad book but it's really not. It's just too much of everything and it's the little sub-plots that dead end and all the inconsequential secondary characters that kill this book for me. It lacks the conscisness and meanness and leanneass of prose of Song of Kali, depth and eloquence of Hyperion Cantos (no popcorn runs for this one or you're lost, guaranteed), "literary merit" (or whatever) of Phases of Gravity, emotional connection to characters of Summer of Night.

WeDealInLead
04-17-2013, 09:29 AM
Dan Simmons reads from his new novel The Fifth Heart:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtwbkl8NxG0

Watch the whole thing.

Bev Vincent
04-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Thanks for this!

WeDealInLead
04-17-2013, 10:07 AM
He starts around the 1hr mark. Best 1:10 I spent all day.

Bev Vincent
04-17-2013, 10:49 AM
This is brilliant. The Ellison clip is hilarious and oh so typical. Excellent advice and insight for writers and aspiring writers.

WeDealInLead
04-17-2013, 01:08 PM
This video made me look up more Ellison's clips on Youtube. I'm watching him on Dark Dreamers. What a mind!

Bev Vincent
04-17-2013, 01:11 PM
He is a character.

mikeC
04-17-2013, 02:03 PM
His documentary was great
DREAMS WITH SHARP TEETH
Netflix has it.

Bev Vincent
06-14-2013, 02:13 AM
I had the honor of presenting Dan with the Grand Master Award at the World Horror Convention in New Orleans last night. Alas, he was unable to attend, but sent me a thank you message to read to the gathering. My tribute to him and his career, "Dan Simmons: Grand Master of Everything," appears in the convention Souvenir Book.

WeDealInLead
08-07-2013, 04:03 PM
Mr. Simmons does a Q & A on his forum:
http://forum.dansimmons.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=149082&fpart=1

It's really cool he does stuff like that for his fans and readers.

Jean
08-09-2013, 01:18 AM
Superb! Thank you so much!

WeDealInLead
08-19-2013, 11:37 AM
Just finished The Crook Factory. This is my current Simmons reading order:

1. Hyperion Cantos (all four, no jump in point, you need to read them all)

2. Summer of Night & The Crook Factory (it's a tie)
3. Song of Kali
4. Muse of Fire
5. Children of the Night
6. Carrion Comfort
7. Phases of Gravity
8. Black Hills

Jean
08-21-2013, 01:33 AM
Where is The Terror????

WeDealInLead
08-21-2013, 03:52 AM
Waiting for when I'm snowed in.

Give The Crook Factory a try. Nothing supernatural about it but damn, the ending killed me. The whole last chapter was heavy but the last line really did it.

DoctorZaius
08-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Just finished The Crook Factory. This is my current Simmons reading order:

1. Hyperion Cantos (all four, no jump in point, you need to read them all)

2. Summer of Night & The Crook Factory (it's a tie)
3. Song of Kali
4. Muse of Fire
5. Children of the Night
6. Carrion Comfort
7. Phases of Gravity
8. Black Hills

I beg to differ a little:
1 - Hyperions Cantos (you can read them in pairs)
2 - Carrion Comfort - I love this book!
3 - Summer of Night - love coming of age stories.
4 - Ilium and Olympos and Muse of Fire - I love the Shakespearian connections
5 - Hollow Man - heart wrenching to read!
6 - The Joe Kurtz trilogy - as Hard Boiled as they come!
7 - Song of Kali - what an ending
8 - The Terror - loved it, but wished it were leaner
9 - Flashback - great idea, could be leaner
9 - Crook Factory - wonderful historical fiction
10 - Drood - good, but could be leaner as well
11 - Children of the Night - great read, but felt familiar
Need I go all the way down to Fires of Eden - UGH!

WeDealInLead
08-21-2013, 02:34 PM
[QUOTE=WeDealInLead;798125]1 - Hyperions Cantos (you can read them in pairs)
!

I don't think so. The story isn't finished after The Fall of Hyperion and without the prior knowledge of Salinas, the Shrike, Kassad, Techno-core etc., one probably wouldn't get the most out of last two books. I actually lent my boss the audio books and gave him Endymion instead of The Fall of Hyperion and he said, it felt familiar but a big piece of the puzzle was missing.

WeDealInLead
08-21-2013, 02:42 PM
Let me clarify: you can read the first two and just stop. I feel the same about the revised version of The Gunslinger. It's self-contained enough. But I don't think you can start with Endymion. Too much happened in the first 1200 pages of the first half of the Cantos. I mean, when the Shrike makes the first appearance in Endymion when Anea appears at the tomb... I had gooseflesh all over. I don't think I'd have felt the same without knowing anything about it and what it can do, and what it does.

DoctorZaius
08-21-2013, 03:04 PM
I didn't mean to imply one would read them out of order - thanks for clarifying. The game in time between Fall and Endymion creates a fine gap in the narrative so one would not feel compelled to read them all at once.

Jean
08-22-2013, 05:18 AM
[QUOTE=WeDealInLead;798421
Give The Crook Factory a try. [/QUOTE]Of course I will. I intend to read everything by Simmons. http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k291/mishemplushem/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif (http://s91.photobucket.com/user/mishemplushem/media/Facilitation/0134-bear.gif.html)

Heather19
08-22-2013, 05:24 AM
Waiting for when I'm snowed in.

Excellent idea :thumbsup:

Has anyone here read A Winter Haunting? I didn't see it on the recent lists posted. Not sure I'd really even recommend it though. Summer of Night is one of my favorite stories and I wish he had left it there.

WeDealInLead
08-22-2013, 05:36 AM
Dr. Z - I'm REALLY happy to see the Cantos on #1 on someone else's DS Top List. I wish more people would give those books a chance and not give up after the first 50, 100, 150 pages. There are around 1500 pages. It's a daunting/challenging task but very rewarding in the end. The scope and depth of it, the ideas, the cool backdrops/settings...man... to me these four books are in my all time Top Ten S.F. books of all time.

Jean
08-22-2013, 05:49 AM
Has anyone here read A Winter Haunting? I didn't see it on the recent lists posted. Not sure I'd really even recommend it though. Summer of Night is one of my favorite stories and I wish he had left it there.
I think I will read it eventually... I know everyone says it can't be compared to the original story, but I want to see those kids again.

Bev Vincent
08-22-2013, 06:06 AM
I liked A Winter Haunting a lot (here is my review from shortly after it was published (http://www.onyxreviews.com/simmons-winter.html))

In part:

Where Summer of Night was set against the backdrop of humid, hot days and nights, summer rains and tornadoes, A Winter Haunting is its mirror image, frigid, snowy and barren. Summer recounted a group effort, several friends collaborating to defeat the evil in Old Central School. Winter is a solitary adventure; Dale's struggle is almost completely internal.

A Winter Haunting is a tauter, more introspective book than its predecessor. The author says, "Each book changes the 'reality' of the other, depending on which novel one reads first. The idea was to create a Mobius strip of perceptions."

Dan
08-22-2013, 10:22 AM
I agree with Bev, great book.

I also agree with Jean, I will read all of Simmons books as time goes on.

biomieg
08-22-2013, 11:11 AM

As will I. I only recently got into reading Simmons because his books are somewhat hard to find where I live, but so far I'm pretty impressed. I read Children of the Night, Flashback, The Terror and Summer of Night (in this order). Still have a lot to look forward to!

DoctorZaius
08-22-2013, 02:43 PM

As will I. I only recently got into reading Simmons because his books are somewhat hard to find where I live, but so far I'm pretty impressed. I read Children of the Night, Flashback, The Terror and Summer of Night (in this order). Still have a lot to look forward to!

Ah, too bad you didn't read Summer of Night before Children of Night - a much better order. There is an interesting chapbook out called Banished Dreams that provides an interesting perspective on each of the boys in Summer of Night. Because of size it was cut from the novel. Get it if you can.

DoctorZaius
08-22-2013, 02:48 PM
Dr. Z - I'm REALLY happy to see the Cantos on #1 on someone else's DS Top List. I wish more people would give those books a chance and not give up after the first 50, 100, 150 pages. There are around 1500 pages. It's a daunting/challenging task but very rewarding in the end. The scope and depth of it, the ideas, the cool backdrops/settings...man... to me these four books are in my all time Top Ten S.F. books of all time.

Another brilliant aspect of the four novels is how genre bending they are. Hyperion is the the Canterbury Tales in space. Fall of Hyperion is like a high tech look at AI. Endymion is like a sic-fi Indiana Jones adventure. And then Rise of Endymion is a sci-fi Dan Brown adventure. That's the best I can do with describing them. They should be a required reading for all sci-fi fans. Can't recommend them enough.

biomieg
08-22-2013, 11:05 PM

Ah, too bad you didn't read Summer of Night before Children of Night - a much better order. There is an interesting chapbook out called Banished Dreams that provides an interesting perspective on each of the boys in Summer of Night. Because of size it was cut from the novel. Get it if you can.

Thank you, I didn't know that. Although I buy and read books by many different authors, King is the only one I truly 'collect'. I do have fairly complete sets of McCammon and Crichton 1st/1st trade hardcovers - and Joe Hill of course - but most of the books my wife and I own are second-hand paperback reading copies :)

But I like everything I read by Simmons quite a lot so I'm planning to start a 1st/1st trade hardcover collection of his works as well and it would be nice to also get some goodies like the chapbook you mentioned.

Heather19
08-23-2013, 05:41 AM
Thanks for that info. I had never heard of Banished Dreams either. I'll have to see if I can find it somewhere. And I haven't read Children of Night yet. Is it related to Summer of Night in some way?

Bev Vincent
08-23-2013, 05:54 AM
No, it's not related at all. It's a vampire novel.

Jean
08-23-2013, 06:08 AM
I need more than 24 hours every day

also, I need a new set of eyes, although with Kindle it isn't such a horrible problem as it used to be

I both love and hate Simmons for how endlessly long his novels are.

biomieg
08-23-2013, 07:01 AM
No, it's not related at all. It's a vampire novel.

Isn't Mike O'Rourke a character in both novels?

Bev Vincent
08-23-2013, 07:21 AM
Yes, that's true -- I'd forgotten. But there's not much reference back to the earlier book.

DoctorZaius
08-23-2013, 08:26 AM
Thanks for that info. I had never heard of Banished Dreams either. I'll have to see if I can find it somewhere. And I haven't read Children of Night yet. Is it related to Summer of Night in some way?

The books are quasi related, with one of the main characters being a grown-up version of the boy from Summer. They are standalone books, but I find it richer to know the character's backgrounds.

DoctorZaius
08-23-2013, 08:27 AM

also, I need a new set of eyes, although with Kindle it isn't such a horrible problem as it used to be

I know what you mean. For a while I was enjoying Simmons more than King, then came The Terror and all that followed. Both King and Simmons can be a bit bloated in their narratives.

DoctorZaius
08-23-2013, 08:32 AM
For those interested, I just checked ABE.com and found a number of copies of the chapbook Banished Dreams, which are the deleted dreams of the major characters from Summer of Night. As it says in the preface, one boy's dreams were not included because he would die in the novel (no name give here) and therefore had no dreams - sad stuff! They cost about $15-$20.

biomieg
08-23-2013, 09:38 AM
Thanks!!

jhanic
08-23-2013, 11:15 AM

I know what you mean. For a while I was enjoying Simmons more than King, then came The Terror and all that followed. Both King and Simmons can be a bit bloated in their narratives.

Funny, I really like Simmons' longer works, such as The Terror, Drood and now The Abominable. I enjoy the, to me, extremely detailed background in each book.

John

DoctorZaius
08-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Must be my ADD.

Jean
08-24-2013, 12:45 AM

Funny, I really like Simmons' longer works, such as The Terror, Drood and now The Abominable. I enjoy the, to me, extremely detailed background in each book.

John

I adore them. The longer, the better. The Terror could never be long enough.

But... time!!! where will I take the time!!! That's the only reason why I said "hate". He should provide a portable time-suspending machine as a bonus with each of his novels.

Fall of Gilead
10-30-2013, 09:44 PM
I agree that The Terror is one massive book where the length was not a detriment to it.

A portable time-suspending machine? That would be the most stratospheric priced book ever! :eek:

Jean
10-30-2013, 11:32 PM
no, he must somehow write it into the text

WeDealInLead
11-02-2013, 12:53 PM
One of the characters in Endymion and Rise of Endymion can phase shift time, so, in a way, he already wrote about it. I'm still a little unclear if she creates some sort of dampening field where everyone slows down drastically (almost completely), or they move in real-time but she moves so incredibly fast, they just seem like they've stopped.

Either way, if you could do that, you'd have a lot more reading time on your hands.

WeDealInLead
11-25-2013, 06:06 PM
The ending of Flashback... that was not cool Mr. Simmons. :cry:

Nearly at the half point mark of The Abominable. Things are picking up and we've moved on from discussing different kinds of climbing axes and ropes.

Jean
11-26-2013, 12:33 AM
I see that Simmons is once again true to himself. But that's also what we love him for, right?

WeDealInLead
11-26-2013, 05:58 AM
I should've said I was referring mostly to the "fake" ending, not the actual last chapter. You'll see what I mean if you read it.

As far as ranking it among his other works, I'd say it's somewhere at the lower end of the Golden Middle. Under The Children of the Night but definitely above Black Hills. There are twists and turns as per the usual Simmons recipe, but they're a little more obvious than usually, and the ending good ol' boys kicking Muslim ass is the cheesiest yet. It's not as classy and emotional as The Crook Factory, not as intergalactically massive as Hyperion's, not as gut-wrenching as the one to Song of Kali.

Interesting take on a dystopian future, solid prose, cool gadgets, realistic main characters. 3/5.

jhanic
11-26-2013, 07:48 AM
I was really disappointed in Flashback also. Definitely NOT one of Simmon's better works.

John

WeDealInLead
11-26-2013, 09:16 AM
John, was it the politics or something else? I'm pretty close to Simmons in a lot of ways. I acknowledge the threat of extreme Islam and the politics of appeasement but this was just too harsh.

Politics aren't the reason I gave it 3/5 btw. There were parts I really liked (a screw up, junkie father getting his act together for his son) but overall, something just didn't click.

Dan
11-26-2013, 09:47 AM
Maybe I need to reread it, but I loved Flashback. So far I only didn't care for Black Hills and was underwhelmed by Song of Kali.

jhanic
11-26-2013, 12:39 PM
John, was it the politics or something else? I'm pretty close to Simmons in a lot of ways. I acknowledge the threat of extreme Islam and the politics of appeasement but this was just too harsh.

Politics aren't the reason I gave it 3/5 btw. There were parts I really liked (a screw up, junkie father getting his act together for his son) but overall, something just didn't click.

I'm also pretty close to Simmons as far as his politics go, but to me Flashback was just too extreme.

John

Bev Vincent
02-06-2014, 09:50 AM
From his FB page yesterday: Last night I e-mailed off the final draft of my new novel THE FIFTH HEART to my literary agent, editor, and publisher. It was weird to go to sleep last night without writing the next morning's pages in my mind and weirder still to awaken today and not have that world -- Sherlock Holmes and Henry James together in America and at the 1893 Chicago World's Fair -- to go back into. It's been a long, serious, fun project.

jhanic
02-06-2014, 09:55 AM
Given Simmons' gift for historical fiction, that one REALLY sounds interesting to me!

John

Heather19
02-06-2014, 10:20 AM
Hmmm, that sounds interesting.

Aronstg
04-15-2014, 09:04 PM
I may be in the minority but I actually loved Hyperion. I tend to like Fantasy/Sci-Fi a lot though. I thought it was extremely well written.

jhanic
04-16-2014, 03:38 AM
I have to say that I didn't dislike the Hyperion series, just that I didn't like them as much as some of his other works.

John

Bev Vincent
04-16-2014, 05:48 AM
I liked the Hyperion / Endymion series a lot. I wasn't as fond of Ilium / Odyssium.

frik
04-16-2014, 07:06 AM
I love the Hyperion books and consider myself very luck to own a numbered and lettered SubPress set.
I haven't read the Endymion books yet, nor do I know if SubPress is planning a limited edition of each.
Anyone?

sk

WeDealInLead
04-16-2014, 08:52 AM
They're sequels to Hyperion Cantos. You won't get the full story until you've read them.

I don't think the books are fantasy. Fantastical maybe (in a sense that PKD, Ellison, Gene Wolfe and even Tim Powers are), but when I think fantasy I think dragons, magicians, Gaiman, a guy with a cloak and sword on the cover. I think calling Hyperion simply S.F. is selling it short because it's so huge and multi-faceted but that's as close as you can get if you have to call it something. Like in bookstores, it's in the science fiction section.

I passed on Subterranean editions because a) they're just oversized trade editions with new artwork and signature page, b) original first printings are cheaper and c) original artwork is sooo much more epic and imaginative.

Dan
04-16-2014, 09:30 AM
I love the Hyperion books and consider myself very luck to own a numbered and lettered SubPress set.
I haven't read the Endymion books yet, nor do I know if SubPress is planning a limited edition of each.
Anyone?

sk

If you read Hyperion series, you will love Endymion series. I read all four in a row and loved them.

DoctorZaius
04-16-2014, 12:48 PM
Anyone?

sk

If you read Hyperion series, you will love Endymion series. I read all four in a row and loved them.

You have to read the whole series (loved them!) - they really are four books in my mind. My understanding is that Bill at SubPress is most definitely doing all four books.

WeDealInLead
04-16-2014, 01:45 PM
Here's something Simmons posted today on his forum in a response to someone: "The Hyperion/Endymion SF novels were one large tale told in four volumes."

DoctorZaius
04-18-2014, 08:53 AM
Here's something Simmons posted today on his forum in a response to someone: "The Hyperion/Endymion SF novels were one large tale told in four volumes."

My point exactly. Despite the significant jump in time that sometimes occur, they really are one big volume.

fernandito
06-12-2015, 12:43 PM
Based on recommendations, I'm eying Hyperion and The Terror. All suggestions are welcome though, and any minor comment on why you love that book so much is appreciated.

What are your 3 favorite Dan Simmons novels?

And go.

(will merge thread later)

mkb.redux
06-12-2015, 12:53 PM
HYPERION
THE FALL OF HYPERION
THE RISE OF ENDYMION

ENDYMION is fine (and you'll need to read before you read RISE OF...), but RISE is the better book, as FALL would be better than HYPERION if you were looking at it from a purely narrative standpoint.

That said:

It will likely never be as good for you as it was for me, reading it for the first time back in 1989, because this is not that world anymore. You may prefer to start with something that you don't have to read in the context of everything that came after. There are only a few that manage that kind of staying power; I'd be stuck naming much from that era of science fiction other than NEUROMANCER.

Heather19
06-12-2015, 01:33 PM
Summer of Night and The Terror. They're two of my favorite books.

biomieg
06-12-2015, 01:36 PM
Summer of Night and The Terror. They're two of my favorite books.

Yes.

Tommy
06-12-2015, 02:08 PM
Summer of Night and Song of Kali

jhanic
06-12-2015, 02:53 PM
Summer of Night, The Terror, and I also really liked Drood, especially if you like Charles Dickens.

John

fernandito
06-12-2015, 03:26 PM
Summer of Night keeps being mentioned, so I'll put that at the top.

HYPERION
THE FALL OF HYPERION
THE RISE OF ENDYMION

ENDYMION is fine (and you'll need to read before you read RISE OF...), but RISE is the better book, as FALL would be better than HYPERION if you were looking at it from a purely narrative standpoint.

That said:

It will likely never be as good for you as it was for me, reading it for the first time back in 1989, because this is not that world anymore. You may prefer to start with something that you don't have to read in the context of everything that came after. There are only a few that manage that kind of staying power; I'd be stuck naming much from that era of science fiction other than NEUROMANCER.

I've always being curious about the Hyperion series - mainly because of that enigmatic TPB cover - so I'm sure I'll get around to this at some point. As I mentioned in a different thread a few days ago however, I'm a bit worn out on heavy, multiple novel scifi right now. I'm sure I'll love it when I eventually get around to reading it though.

Right now I'm mainly interested in his quick, self contained novels.

fernandito
06-12-2015, 03:27 PM
What about Carrion Comfort? How does it juggle the meld of the supernatural & historical fiction?

WeDealInLead
06-12-2015, 04:21 PM
Here are my top 5 Simmons books:

Hyperion
The Fall of Hyperion
Endymion
The Rise of Endymion
The fifth place changes with my mood. Right now it's The Fifth Heart

Those four Hyperion books take up four spots on my Top 10 SF list. I honestly can't remember how many times it sent chills down my spine.

You could always start with Song of Kali and work your way through his books chronologically. Or pick up Summer of Night. Carrion Comfort is pretty good but I felt it was a little bloated. Check the Simmons thread

mkb.redux
06-12-2015, 04:39 PM
Here are my top 5 Simmons books:

Hyperion
The Fall of Hyperion
Endymion
The Rise of Endymion
The fifth place changes with my mood. Right now it's The Fifth Heart

Those four Hyperion books take up four spots on my Top 10 SF list. I honestly can't remember how many times it sent chills down my spine.

You could always start with Song of Kali and work your way through his books chronologically. Or pick up Summer of Night. Carrion Comfort is pretty good but I felt it was a little bloated. Check the Simmons thread

The chronological approach would also get you to PHASES OF GRAVITY sooner rather than later.

WeDealInLead
06-12-2015, 04:52 PM
That book has one good thing going, it's a pretty quick read. Though to be honest, I didn't mind it. It's not top tier Simmons but I also wasn't crazy about Children of the Night (too clichéd), and Carrion Comfort (I started losing interest around the 500 page mark).

The Crook Factory was excellent too. That ending got to me.

bugen
06-12-2015, 06:13 PM
Hyperion is among the finest novels I've ever read - one of a small list with a full 5 star rating. And Prayers to Broken Stones is a top-notch collection. If just starting with Simmons I highly recommend either of these two books, but because Simmons is often a ponderous writer, reading the faster paced short stories might familiar you with his style without risking boredom before you've learned to follow his voice.

My two cents - I've read 6 of his books.

frik
06-12-2015, 07:31 PM
Carrion Comfort (surprised no one else mentions it here - oops, it is mentioned.)
Summer of Night
The Terror

runners up:
Hyperion
The Fall of Hyperion
(Would not start my Simmons love-affair with the Hyperion books, though.)

sk

bugen
06-13-2015, 07:14 AM
Carrion Comfort (surprised no one else mentions it here - oops, it is mentioned.)
Summer of Night
The Terror

runners up:
Hyperion
The Fall of Hyperion
(Would not start my Simmons love-affair with the Hyperion books, though.)

sk

Well, our opinions differ a good deal here, even though Carrion Comfort is great and if I get a cat I'm likely to name him Harod. I started with Hyperion and ended up loving the author.

I've got two suggestions for the Op:

First, I wouldn't start with Carrion Comfort because I felt it more difficult than the other Simmons I've read, though still a very good book.

Second, I absolutely suggest listening to Frik over me. He's a monster and knows more about this stuff than I do.

frik
06-13-2015, 11:38 AM
Not sure about your last remark (second half...:) ) but with me it's exactly the other way around:

I wouldn't start with the Hyperion books because I felt them more difficult than the other Simmons' I've read.
Plus: I started with Carrion Comfort and ended up loving the author.

Not kidding.

sk

jhanic
06-13-2015, 12:11 PM
I started with Song of Kali (when it was first published) and have been a Simmons fan ever since.

John

bugen
06-13-2015, 08:23 PM
with me it's exactly the other way around:

That's so funny! I wonder if it's different threads we latched onto more than others that changed the pacing for us. But you're right, even in Hyperion Simmons takes his time getting there. It can be a big part of his style. And its got a pretty serious cliffhanger ending. I haven't read Summer of Night yet but have been meaning to. The Terror you've brought up a few times and I'd crossed that one of my short list for the TBR pile but that seems to have been a mistake.

Song of Kali is an dirty first novel and very effective, where you can almost taste the underbelly of Calcutta. It's faster paced than the other Simmons I've read other than his short stories, which he also really excels at.

Many pathways to end up really enjoying this guy.

frik
06-13-2015, 11:49 PM
Many pathways to end up really enjoying this guy.

Absolutely!

sk

killjoy72
06-14-2015, 04:51 AM
I also have not read any Dan Simmons. It's as if fernandito read my mind, as I was wondering the same thing.
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Cook
06-14-2015, 06:30 AM
Carrion Comfort
Hyperion series, book 1 has a pretty tough start. (great series)

barlow
06-14-2015, 08:35 AM
Summer Of Night is one of my favorite books and The Terror, Carrion Comfort, and Song Of Kali are also great! If you like gritty detective stories check out his Joe Kurtz novels as well.

Ken

fernandito
06-14-2015, 11:27 AM
This has been most helpful, and enlightening!

I know I mentioned earlier in the thread that I would postpone an eventual read of the Hyperion series because I was looking for a quick read, but I might have to double back on that. The more I read about it, the stronger the itch to read it becomes. I'm thinking of starting off with that.

Summer of Night will be next, with possibly The Terror following closely behind.

I'm excited to finally delve in the work of this (apparently) brilliant author! Thanks for all the recommendations guys.

goheat
06-15-2015, 06:24 AM
I am nearing finishing up my first Simmons book: Summer of Night. FANTASTIC!!! I'm thinking of reading Lovedeath next, as it has novellas of differing themes. Any thoughts on Lovedeath?

Bev Vincent
06-15-2015, 06:34 AM
Lovedeath is a little challenging. I might recommend A Winter Haunting as a good followup to Summer of Night.

frik
06-15-2015, 08:32 AM
Sorry Bev, but A Winter Haunting was such a disappointment as follow up to Summer of Night. The latter is one of Simmons' best, the first...well.....Let's say I'm sure Simmons was capable of much more.

sk

Bev Vincent
06-15-2015, 08:35 AM
I really enjoyed it -- It's a tauter, more introspective book than its predecessor. Simmons says, "Each book changes the 'reality' of the other, depending on which novel one reads first. The idea was to create a Mobius strip of perceptions."

Heather19
06-15-2015, 08:59 AM
Sorry Bev, but A Winter Haunting was such a disappointment as follow up to Summer of Night. The latter is one of Simmons' best, the first...well.....Let's say I'm sure Simmons was capable of much more.

sk

I felt the same. Hated A Winter Haunting. The direction he took some of the characters in just didn't flow well with how I saw them in Summer of Night.

goheat
06-15-2015, 11:01 AM
Lovedeath is a little challenging. I might recommend A Winter Haunting as a good followup to Summer of Night.

Thanks, Bev, I queued that one up on my Kindle Paperwhite!

sgc1999
06-15-2015, 12:33 PM
What about Carrion Comfort? How does it juggle the meld of the supernatural & historical fiction?

Carrion Comfort is his most enjoyable read in my opinion. I love a good paced novel with plenty of action that doesn't "carryon" :)

This was my favorite by a long shot.

RC65
06-15-2015, 01:45 PM
SUMMER OF NIGHT
THE TERROR
CARRION COMFORT
SONG OF KALI

...would be my favorite three (plus one), and in that order.

I also, however, very much like his Joe Kurtz novels (three of 'em), but if you don't care for hardboiled noir (ala Richard Stark, to whom these books are an acknowledged homage), you won't care for them.

fernandito
07-28-2015, 12:39 PM
Thread update : I have Hyperion at home waiting for me. :)

Also bumping this thread for our lovely Girlystevedave. She's looking for a place to start too...

Heather19
07-28-2015, 03:42 PM
Go for Summer of Night Amanda! Feev didn't listen to me :lol:

Still Servant
07-28-2015, 06:05 PM
I've been meaning to get into Dan Simmons since you guys recommended him to me last year. I see the hardcover of Drood everywhere. I mean everywhere. I've almost bought it numerous times. I think it would look great on a shelf, but I just don't know if I would read it. It doesn't exactly seem like something that interests me.

That being said, I should just buy it for a buck 50 and worry about it later.

:lol:

fernandito
07-28-2015, 08:51 PM
I'm sorry! You know I usually favor sci fi! :blush:

Girlystevedave
07-29-2015, 04:29 AM

Also bumping this thread for our lovely Girlystevedave. She's looking for a place to start too...

:couple:

Summer of Night is the one I was leaning towards the most. It sounds intriguing. I think it's next on my list. :)

Edit: Hyperion was the number two on my list. Let me know how it is Fernando.

Tommy
07-29-2015, 11:07 AM

:couple:

Summer of Night is the one I was leaning towards the most. It sounds intriguing. I think it's next on my list. :)

Edit: Hyperion was the number two on my list. Let me know how it is Fernando.

Summer of Night is an excellent read, I'm due for a reread of that one soon!

Heather19
07-29-2015, 02:55 PM
I'm sorry! You know I usually favor sci fi! :blush:

I know and I forgive you, just as long as you read Summer of Night next :)

DoctorZaius
07-29-2015, 03:25 PM
I have been a Simmons fan for a very long time.

If you like science fiction at all, then begin with Hyperion (one of the best sci-fi novels of all time), but be prepared to read the Fall of Hyperion immediately afterward. You can then take a break from the next two, Endymion and Rise of Endymion, as they take place hundreds of years in the future, but when you read them, you will need to read them back to back. Then I would jump all over Carrion Comfort, one of my favorite horror epics of all time - love it! Ilium and Olympos are also a great two book saga, and if you have the time, get a hold of the novella Muse of Fire.

If you are not a sic-fi fan, then begin with Summer of Night followed by Children of the Night, since the second one has some of the same characters. Then work in Carrion Comfort and Song of Kali.

The Hollow Man is a really emotional journey that is well worth taking. The Joe Kurtz series, Hardcase, Hardfreeze, and hard as Nails are great hard boiled detective books in the vein of the Dennis Lehane's Kenzie-Genaro series - love them!

I've gone on too long - there is really not much not to like here!

mikeC
08-03-2015, 07:44 AM
My wife read most of his. She says that Carrion Comfort and Abdominal were her favorites. Drood was her least.
I loved Children of Night.
Still waiting on the audio version of Winter Haunting.

goheat
08-03-2015, 08:11 AM
I started with Summer of Night recently, then read Song of Kali, Phases of Gravity, and am 2/3 of the way through Carrion Comfort, which is phenomenal! Have loved every one of them, very impressive writer...

frik
08-03-2015, 06:10 PM
Skip Drood though; terrible book.
Hate to say this, as I think Simmons is an amazing author who does everything extremely well, from horror to fantasy to science fiction to historical fiction to whatever.
But Drood....:emot-butt:

sk

Dan
08-03-2015, 06:51 PM
I loved Drood, hated Black Hills. Loved pretty much everything else.

jhanic
08-04-2015, 04:19 AM
I also loved Drood. I didn't care that much for either Black Hills or his latest, Fifth Heart.

John

RC65
08-04-2015, 02:23 PM
I have been a Simmons fan for a very long time.

The Joe Kurtz series, Hardcase, Hardfreeze, and hard as Nails are great hard boiled detective books in the vein of the Dennis Lehane's Kenzie-Genaro series - love them!

Agreed -- great reads (though the third one of the trilogy doesn't quite live up to the first two)...Simmons has acknowledged (in fact, I think one may be dedicated to Stark/Westlake) that this series is a homage to Richard Stark's (aka Donald Westlake) books featuring the cold, calculating thief Parker.

webstar1000
08-04-2015, 03:25 PM
Going to finish up the Southern Reach... Thinking my next book will be Summer of Night... Hope I like it!

frik
08-05-2015, 05:43 AM
Oh, you will, Kris, you will.
No doubt about it.

sk

webstar1000
08-05-2015, 05:46 AM
No doubt about it.

sk

CITED! I am kinda pushing to finish Southern Reach to be honest.. started SO strong and the second book was BRUTAL... the 3rd is a better read thus far. Listen... would you read the sequel to Summer of Night after?

RC65
08-05-2015, 07:19 AM
I didn't care much for A WINTER HAUNTING, the sequel to SUMMER OF NIGHT. Also didn't care for CHILDREN OF THE NIGHT, and FIRES OF EDEN may just be his worst novel. Were I you, I'd start and stop with the SUMMER OF NIGHT, then move on to other terrific works like THE TERROR, CARRION COMFORT, SONG OF KALI, LOVEDEATH, etc.

Heather19
08-05-2015, 07:25 AM
No doubt about it.

sk

CITED! I am kinda pushing to finish Southern Reach to be honest.. started SO strong and the second book was BRUTAL... the 3rd is a better read thus far. Listen... would you read the sequel to Summer of Night after?

That's the problem I'm having now too. On book 2 at the moment, but it's going very slow. Glad to hear book 3 is better.

As for A Winter Haunting, I completely agree with RC65. I'd skip it, and move onto another book, such as The Terror :)

Also this thread makes me realize how much Simmons I have to read. I've only read a handful. Maybe if I can hurry up and finish The Southern Reach trilogy I can read some more of his.

webstar1000
08-05-2015, 08:02 AM
No doubt about it.

sk

That's the problem I'm having now too. On book 2 at the moment, but it's going very slow. Glad to hear book 3 is better.

As for A Winter Haunting, I completely agree with RC65. I'd skip it, and move onto another book, such as The Terror :)

Also this thread makes me realize how much Simmons I have to read. I've only read a handful. Maybe if I can hurry up and finish The Southern Reach trilogy I can read some more of his.

Yeah the 3rd book is better... but the sour taste in my mouth from the 2nd... tough to get back into it. Like did he get someone else to write the 2nd? lol

jhanic
08-05-2015, 08:43 AM
I didn't care much for A WINTER HAUNTING, the sequel to SUMMER OF NIGHT. Also didn't care for CHILDREN OF THE NIGHT, and FIRES OF EDEN may just be his worst novel. Were I you, I'd start and stop with the SUMMER OF NIGHT, then move on to other terrific works like THE TERROR, CARRION COMFORT, SONG OF KALI, LOVEDEATH, etc.

I agree with A Winter Haunting. I didn't care for that one at all. I enjoyed Children of the Night okay.

John

DoctorZaius
08-09-2015, 03:25 PM

I agree with A Winter Haunting. I didn't care for that one at all. I enjoyed Children of the Night okay.

John

Fires of Eden is easily the worst of Simmons' novels. That being said, anyone want a flatsigned one? Cheap?

biomieg
09-14-2015, 12:30 PM
I just finished A Winter Haunting and it looks like I'm in the minority here - I really liked it! Perhaps it helped that it's been a while since I read 'Summer' so it felt more like a standalone novel (which it is, of course, but you know what I mean). Regardless, I thought it was interesting, well-written and pretty scary at times.

webstar1000
09-14-2015, 03:40 PM
I'm reading that next. Bob told me he would highly recommend it so... Going for it!

Dan
09-14-2015, 04:33 PM
I liked A Winter Haunting.

Tony Two-Cent
09-19-2017, 05:20 AM
I liked A Winter Haunting.

I always recall liking A Winter Haunting, although it has been several years since I read it.

This has been a very informative thread. I have a first edition hardcover of The Terror on my bookshelf but I've never read it. It sounds like I definitely need to move it to the top of my read pile.

peripheral
09-27-2017, 01:28 AM
The Terror is one of my favourite horror novels.

frik
09-27-2017, 02:58 AM
The Terror definitely is one of Simmons' best!
Recently re-read Summer of Night (loved it - again) and A Winter Haunting (not bad at all, but I far and away prefer the first book)

sk

jhanic
04-26-2018, 03:26 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2018/04/25/george-r-r-martin-confirms-no-winds-winter-in-2018-while-announcing-new-game-thrones-book.html

John

frik
05-06-2018, 02:57 AM
Considering selling my Summer of Night lettered.
Not really sure what would be a fair asking price.
Suggestions anyone??

sk

DoctorZaius
05-06-2018, 08:01 AM
Suggestions anyone??

sk

Well, four numbered editions, which originally sold for $250 on Sub Press, went for $150-$225 on eBay. The lettered sold for $750 on the website, and while there might be a market for it, I would think you might only get in the $400-$500 range. The book is a popular one but there does not appear to be a strong market for Simmons. This is all guesswork though. Good luck.

Hunchback Jack
05-06-2018, 10:55 AM
Suggestions anyone??

sk

Unfortunately, it's really hard to say. They don't come up that often, and Simmons is very variable, so using lettered editions of his other works as a guide is not always reliable.

On the plus side, this is one of Simmons best-loved works, the volume itself is one of SubPress's best productions, and there were only 26 copies made. I would compare this to the lettered editions of Swan Song or Boy's Life by McCammon. The PC lettered Summer of Night was priced at $500 in the recent SubPress sale, and multiple copies sold in minutes. So that's a very safe lower bound. If you find the right buyer, you could get $1000 to $1200.

However, a lettered Fifth Heart - a lesser work, granted - has been on eBay for ages, priced at sub-$1000, and hasn't sold. So the market might be a bit soft right now, and you may end up getting just over cover price.

I would price it at what you hope to get, and see what people offer.

HBJ

frik
05-06-2018, 09:10 PM
Thanks guys - appreciate it.

sk

webstar1000
05-07-2018, 02:21 AM
I could not sell my Lettered for anymore than issue:( low run and great book.... but that was it. I was surprised!

becca69
05-07-2018, 04:37 AM
Looking for Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion.

FOUND

WeDealInLead
05-07-2018, 04:53 AM
Looking for Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion.

Looks like someone just copped Endymion and Rise of Endymion during the Subterranean sale. I had the same idea but you were quicker.

becca69
05-07-2018, 04:59 AM
LOL. I did. I've wanted these books since they were published but didn't ever act on it. They were so cheap, I had to grab them.

Hunchback Jack
05-07-2018, 06:54 AM
You got them at a great price! I'm glad they went to someone here.

I picked up The Fifth Heart in the same sale. There are still some great deals available.

DoctorZaius
05-07-2018, 12:16 PM
Unfortunately these sales support that Dan just isn't that collectable any more. So sad. I love his earlier works. I would love to see limiteds done of the Joe Kurtz books, perhaps as a set.

WeDealInLead
05-07-2018, 04:03 PM
I would love to see limiteds done of the Joe Kurtz books, perhaps as a set.

That'd be great. Either one oversized volume collecting all three books, or three books in a slipcase.

I'd spring for The Crook Factory too. Throw in Les Edwards to paint the Cuban landscapes and you got yourself a sale. (Yes, I'm aware of the Easton Press limited).

Hunchback Jack
05-07-2018, 06:41 PM
I'd spring for The Crook Factory too. Throw in Les Edwards to paint the Cuban landscapes and you got yourself a sale. (Yes, I'm aware of the Easton Press limited).

I so want this. The Crook Factory was a fantastic book.

HBJ

mikeC
05-16-2018, 05:48 AM
The AMC Terror adaptation is probably one of the best I've seen. So well made and so very faithful.
It's a shame no one spends the money and the time to make an SK adaptation into a 10 part episode show with good writing and production values.

jsmcmullen92
05-16-2018, 11:50 AM
The AMC Terror adaptation is probably one of the best I've seen. So well made and so very faithful.
It's a shame no one spends the money and the time to make an SK adaptation into a 10 part episode show with good writing and production values.

you didn't enjoy 11/22/63? it wasn't 100% faithful but i still enjoyed it

mikeC
05-17-2018, 05:28 AM

you didn't enjoy 11/22/63? it wasn't 100% faithful but i still enjoyed it

It was ok. I'm not a big fan of Franco or the book so...
It wasn't nearly as well made as The Terror though.

craigobau
08-20-2018, 11:37 PM
After thoroughly enjoying watching AMC's The Terror (I read the book a few years ago), I have just read Book of Kali which was a really good read and am now half-way through The Fifth Heart which I'm also really enjoying.

Once you accept that a Dan Simmons book will be a slow-read, you can sit back and enjoy the journey.

I'm thinking either Carrion Comfort or Drood will be next once I finish The Fifth Heart.

Hunchback Jack
08-20-2018, 11:41 PM
I can only agree! I have yet to read The Fifth Heart, so I'm glad to hear you're liking it. His next one is due next year, after a few delays.

(Drood is my personal favourite of his recent work. Also love The Terror, which most people seem to prefer, but Drood just seemed to click with me.)

DoctorZaius
08-21-2018, 04:37 PM
Sad to say that I gave up on Dan a few years ago, right after a succession of Drood, Black Hills, and Flashback. Didn't care for the middle one, and the first was just too long, even for a gothic throwback. I really, really, really wanted to like the last one, as I was hoping a return to sci-fi might rekindle the old magic, but it too, dragged on too long.

Craigobou - go for Carrion Comfort. It's a true masterpiece.

craigobau
08-22-2018, 01:25 AM
Sad to say that I gave up on Dan a few years ago, right after a succession of Drood, Black Hills, and Flashback. Didn't care for the middle one, and the first was just too long, even for a gothic throwback. I really, really, really wanted to like the last one, as I was hoping a return to sci-fi might rekindle the old magic, but it too, dragged on too long.

Thanks DoctorZaius - i think I will take your advice.

mikeC
08-22-2018, 05:38 AM
Seconded.

Cook
08-22-2018, 05:39 AM
Seconded.

Thirded, excellent story.

webstar1000
08-22-2018, 05:44 AM
Seconded.

Thirded, excellent story.

Damm, I passed on this but think I am gonna pick it up now.

Bev Vincent
08-22-2018, 06:10 AM
His next one is due next year, after a few delays.

What have you heard about his next one? I haven't gone digging around yet to see what I can find out.

WeDealInLead
08-22-2018, 06:13 AM
He's posted about Omega Canyon sporadically on his forum. I think a fall while hiking and health issues have slowed him down.

craigobau
08-27-2018, 09:18 AM
I can only agree! I have yet to read The Fifth Heart, so I'm glad to hear you're liking it. His next one is due next year, after a few delays.

(Drood is my personal favourite of his recent work. Also love The Terror, which most people seem to prefer, but Drood just seemed to click with me.)

Just finished The Fifth Heart and loved it.

Yes, it's a bit slow in parts and yes, you do question the relevance of some of the detail he gets into, but if you accept that this is just the way the guy writes his stories, you can really enjoy the read.

Onwards to Carrion Comfort.

mae
09-26-2018, 09:58 AM
Well, this is... something. Was looking forward to finally getting The Terror, my first Dam Simmons book, when this happened:

http://forum.dansimmons.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=168436#Post168436

Dan S. comments:

In the wee hours of Tuesday morning, Thursday's two testimonies and appearances before the Committee seem years and years away. How many more pathetic women, like Ford and Ms. Rodriguez, will come forward in the next two days with tales of sexual abuse that lack even the simplest corroborating evidence in service to the #Resistance, where ends always justify the means. Means such as perjury and intentionally smearing someone in the deliberate effort to destroy a man's life, profession and reputation through lies rather than allow another conservative justice to sit on the Supreme Court.

Joe McCarthy and his fascist tribunal of the House Un-American Activities Committee in the early 1950's never descended as far into infamy as Dianne Feinstein and the other Democrats have in their desperate and profoundly immoral 11th-hour attempt to derail Judge Cavanaugh. This political party owes not only Cavanaugh but every American a groveling apology.

Edited by Dan Simmons (Yesterday at 03:44 AM)

Lurker
09-26-2018, 10:04 AM
WELL - if your gonna write an alt right diatribe at least spell the asshole's name right - Kavanaugh.

craigobau
09-26-2018, 10:56 AM
You only have to read the novel Flashback (which i just finished) to know that Simmons has a very right-way political leaning.

I don't agree with the man's politics, but I'm enjoying reading his books.

peripheral
09-27-2018, 04:23 AM
A long time ago, I made the decision to separate the art from the artist. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t be able to enjoy: Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones, Motörhead, Roman Polanski, Woody Allen, Led Zeppelin, Cat Stevens, etc etc, so on and so forth..

Tommy
09-27-2018, 10:39 AM
For the most part, I agree with that. I can't ever watch another episode of The Cosby Show though. Also, I do think there is a line that is drawn sometimes. When an author or an artist crosses the line into being an actual political activist such as Orson Scott Card. He joined committees that actively tried to pass legislation that would hurt me and the people I love. He became a political activist and once that line is crossed, to me, that person's art is no longer for everyone. You are blatantly attacking and adversely affecting the lives of people that might have otherwise enjoyed your work.

Ben Staad
09-27-2018, 10:54 AM
The ACA cost my family our livelihood, health insurance, and has endangered our health. How should I feel about democrats and the POTUS in charge at that time?

For the most part, I agree with that. I can't ever watch another episode of The Cosby Show though. Also, I do think there is a line that is drawn sometimes. When an author or an artist crosses the line into being an actual political activist such as Orson Scott Card. He joined committees that actively tried to pass legislation that would hurt me and the people I love. He became a political activist and once that line is crossed, to me, that person's art is no longer for everyone. You are blatantly attacking and adversely affecting the lives of people that might have otherwise enjoyed your work.

Tommy
09-27-2018, 10:56 AM
The ACA cost my family our livelihood, health insurance, and has endangered our health. How should I feel about democrats and the POTUS in charge at that time?

The Democrats and the POTUS are politicians. I believe we were talking about authors/artists ??

Ben Staad
09-27-2018, 11:06 AM
Assume I will talk about what I want. Mods can correct me.

The Democrats and the POTUS are politicians. I believe we were talking about authors/artists ??

Ben Staad
09-27-2018, 11:14 AM
I will support Simmons if he is against socialism. I think he may be.

WeDealInLead
09-27-2018, 12:03 PM
I don't give a flying F about Simmons' political views. This is about Simmons normalizing rape by discounting the word of a possible rape survivor vs some man's word. That's a pretty shitty default go-to for old male Republicans: a man's word is of more value than a woman's. A single image cartoon from a newspaper illustrated this best: an older guy's reading his papers and says, "Boys will be boys." His daughter replies, "What if it was me."

Simmons' response is precisely the reason more women don't come out. Shame on him because as an intelligent man that he is, he should know better.

Tommy
09-27-2018, 12:04 PM
Assume I will talk about what I want. Mods can correct me.

I don't believe I ever told you not to talk about anything. I was curious about how my reply to peripheral's post produced your reply. You've talked at great length about your displeasure with the ACA, it is quite well known at this point. I did not vote for Obama either time. Why ask me about it?

mae
09-27-2018, 12:07 PM
I don't give a flying F about Simmons' political views. This is about Simmons normalizing rape by discounting the word of a possible rape survivor vs some man's word.

Saying "pathetic women" tells you all you need to know.

Br!an
09-27-2018, 12:09 PM
I will support Simmons if he is against socialism. I think he may be.

Yeah we wouldn't want anybody having health care, something to eat, a place to live, cloths on their backs.

Fascists are cool though. Just as long as they don't feed hungry children.

Ben Staad
09-27-2018, 12:14 PM
Gang of three looking to bully down someone. Got it.

Hunchback Jack
09-27-2018, 12:51 PM
I have a big problem with Simmons' views, and part of me is dismayed that an author whose work I love so much holds them.

But so long as his books don't become manifestos for those views, and they continue to be books I enjoy reading, I'll continue to buy them. After I give my money to Simmons in exchange for the book he's provided, what he does with it is up to him.

There's a limit to that though; if Simmons was personally guilty of something reprehensible, I'd have to reconsider my position.

HBJ

PennyUnwise
09-27-2018, 12:54 PM
I have a big problem with Simmons' views, and part of me is dismayed that an author whose work I love so much holds them.

But so long as his books don't become manifestos for those views, and they continue to be books I enjoy reading, I'll continue to buy them. After I give my money to Simmons in exchange for the book he's provided, what he does with it is up to him.

There's a limit to that though; if Simmons was personally guilty of something reprehensible, I'd have to reconsider my position.

HBJ

If you change your mind you know who to talk to... haha :evil:

Hunchback Jack
09-27-2018, 12:56 PM

HBJ

If you change your mind you know who to talk to... haha :evil:

:lol: I do, indeed!

(That was really funny).

HBJ

Randall Flagg
09-27-2018, 02:17 PM
My suggestion is to buy (if you wish to put money in his pocket) and read/enjoy Simmon's books. His earliest works didn't get too deep in contemporary politics, but some of his latest works are right wing, xenophobic.

DoctorZaius
09-29-2018, 07:05 AM

HBJ

Yeah, and right wingers probably have similar feelings towards King. I find it easy to separate the two, as long as it does not creep into the works they create.

Father Cody
09-29-2018, 12:00 PM
It’s easy. If you don’t support the author on a personal level (i.e. don’t want to put money in his/her pocket that will only further his/her personal causes), buy his/her books used. Or download them illegally. :evil:

On another note, this is why discussing politics is never a good idea in settings that aren’t dedicated to such discussions. It’s just too easy to interpret comments as being personal and too slippery a slope to getting nasty. Not saying anyone got personal or nasty here but we still lost a good member over this.

Br!an
09-29-2018, 04:21 PM
It’s easy. If you don’t support the author on a personal level (i.e. don’t want to put money in his/her pocket that will only further his/her personal causes), buy his/her books used. Or download them illegally. :evil:

On another note, this is why discussing politics is never a good idea in settings that aren’t dedicated to such discussions. It’s just too easy to interpret comments as being personal and too slippery a slope to getting nasty. Not saying anyone got personal or nasty here but we still lost a good member over this.

I buy the paperbacks at the local library book sale for 25¢.

I agree that politics is best discussed in the proper place. We do have a thread (http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?1690-General-Political-Discussion) for that.

However, we didn't lose him over this IMHO.

I've had many discussions with Tim regarding politics in the appropriate thread. We always argue for a while and then agree that we mostly agree. He always leans more toward the individual and I always lean more toward the collective. I doubt that one discussion that became political would send him packing.

I think he's dealing with multiple stressors. I hope he's able to deal with them and comes to a place of peace.

Father Cody
09-29-2018, 04:27 PM

I agree that politics is best discussed in the proper place.

However, we didn't lose him over this IMHO.

I've had many discussions with Tim regarding politics in the appropriate thread. We always argue for a while and then agree that we mostly agree. I doubt that one discussion that became political would send him packing.

I think he's dealing with multiple stressors. I hope he's able to deal with them and comes to a place of peace.

Oh I see. I’m sure you’re right then about this not being the sole reason. I assumed it might be only because of the timing, but in hindsight it was a poor assumption.

I hope he does too. He was a cool guy in my book.

frik
10-10-2018, 08:53 AM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/263973066022?ul_noapp=true

Yep - my auction.

sk

craigobau
04-25-2019, 10:34 AM
I've recently binged on Dan Simmons books and continue to be impressed by the breadth of his writing.

The best I read were Drood (yes, very long and slow in parts, but great character development and a really interesting way to introduce people to Charles Dickens), the two Hyperion stories )which I think most people rank as amongst Simmon's best work and I wouldn't consider myself to be a SciFi fan) and The Abominable (another long, but really satisfying story).

Black Hills was over long and didn't really grab me and Flashback was way too right-wing for my liking, but still an ok futuristic detective novel.

Next up is the two follow-up books in the Hyperion Cantos series, Endymion and The Rise of Endymion.

The Fifth Heart, Simmon's most recent story, remains my overall favourite.

Hunchback Jack
04-25-2019, 04:51 PM
Great to hear about your binge, and about your opinion of the books.

There are many recent ones of his I have yet to read, but Drood and The Terror are probably my favourite mainstream works of his; The Crook Factory is also very good. Favourite SF works would have the be The Hyperion Cantos, although the Ilium/Olympos duology are also excellent and fun.

I haven read anything written since (and including) Black Hills, so it was great to hear your opinion of them.

HBJ

WeDealInLead
04-25-2019, 05:07 PM
I didn't think Flashback was that bad. Yes, it's absolutely right wing propaganda but the story was well worth it.

I too loved The Fifth Heart. That man can seriously write when he's not trying to show you just how much research he put into mundane details that have zero to do with the story.

DoctorZaius
04-25-2019, 07:51 PM
I love early Simmons. The two Hyperions you speak of were tremendous reads - you will love what he does in the final two as well. You gotta give Carrion Comfort a chance, as it's easily one the best takes on the vampire genre. If you enjoy hard boiled detective fiction, you can't beat Simmons' Joe Kurtz series - can't believe that these have not been made into movies. I could keep going on with Summer of Night, etc..., but you get the gist. Love this guy!

craigobau
04-26-2019, 07:54 AM
I didn't think Flashback was that bad. Yes, it's absolutely right wing propaganda but the story was well worth it.

I too loved The Fifth Heart. That man can seriously write when he's not trying to show you just how much research he put into mundane details that have zero to do with the story.

Yes, I agree on both counts, particularly with regards to The Fifth Heart as having now subsequently read most his Simmon's historic-set novels, The Fifth Heart feels like he finally nailed the formula and got the balance right between background information and interesting character development.

This bodes really well for the forthcoming Omega Canyon, whenever it sees the light of day.

kingfan2323
07-08-2019, 10:50 PM
Can someone help?

What is the difference between Lord John Press' Children of the Night limited (500) and Deluxe (200)?
Thx

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
Ready Plyer One Sub Press S/L

jsmcmullen92
07-09-2019, 08:58 AM
Can someone help?

What is the difference between Lord John Press' Children of the Night limited (500) and Deluxe (200)?
Thx

Leather spine vs cloth spine I believe

kingfan2323
07-09-2019, 09:10 AM
Can someone help?

Thx

Leather spine vs cloth spine I believeAwesome. Thanks. Helps a lot.

Nemoh21
04-20-2020, 04:38 AM
Not sure if anyone has a answer but I thought I’d check here. Trying to get first editions of the entire Hyperion cantos. I have 2 3 and 4 but I’m really not able to fin Hyperion at all. I honestly have only seen one for sale at like $700. Did this have a extremely low print run? Just seems to be hard to come by