PDA

View Full Version : Cloverfield

Wuducynn
01-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Just watched it and loved it. It had me at the edge of my seat through most of the movie. :thumbsup:

William50
01-19-2008, 05:03 PM
Where there any well known actors or actresses in it?

OchrisO
01-19-2008, 08:30 PM
If there were famous actors/actresses in it, it would take away from the prmeise of the movie. I might go see it tomorrow night, or on monday.

Jon
01-19-2008, 10:04 PM
Just watched it and loved it. It had me at the edge of my seat through most of the movie. :thumbsup:

But you're a pussy anyway!

Wuducynn
01-19-2008, 10:09 PM

No. Thankfully.

Wuducynn
01-19-2008, 10:10 PM

You are what you eat.

ATG
01-19-2008, 10:39 PM

You are what you eat.

Then put me down as one.:rock:

Wuducynn
01-19-2008, 10:43 PM
You're on the list ATG

Jon
01-19-2008, 10:50 PM

Just bumping this so All Hail will see it!

Wuducynn
01-19-2008, 10:51 PM
You should look up the thread Jon.

Jon
01-19-2008, 10:54 PM
Reminds me of one of the last lines in "Survivor". "If you are what you eat then I haven't changed a bit!"

Still Servant
01-20-2008, 07:40 AM

The only recognizable actress to me was Lizy Kaplan.

She was on the short lived CBS sitcom The Class.

Matt
01-20-2008, 08:57 AM
Thinking I'll move this one to Fedic you guys. Basically movie talk no?

But I don't mind it having its own thread

towerguard
01-20-2008, 10:21 AM

Good idea, it's a "Thriller/Action" movie anyway.

Wuducynn
01-20-2008, 10:25 AM
Yeah, after I made it, I saw I should have put it in this forum. Thanks.

Wuducynn
01-20-2008, 10:26 AM

More horror than anything else.

Wuducynn
01-20-2008, 10:28 AM
By the way folks reading this thread, the movie is so good I'll be going to see it again. Go see this movie!

William50
01-20-2008, 02:13 PM
You are seeing it twice? That is a little much even if it is the best movie ever.

Wuducynn
01-20-2008, 04:43 PM
You are seeing it twice? That is a little much even if it is the best movie ever.

Twice is a little much for you even for the best movie ever? Is that just your opinion for movies or do you never read a book twice either?

Erin
01-20-2008, 06:06 PM
I can't wait to see this! :nana:

Oh, and I totally get what All Hail was saying. If I love a movie, I'll see it multiple times in the theatre. If you enjoy it, what's wrong with that?

ZoNeSeeK
01-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Hmm, i remember when it used to be affordable to do that. Adult tix generally cost about $16 each here. Fucked.

William50
01-20-2008, 06:35 PM

Twice is a little much for you even for the best movie ever? Is that just your opinion for movies or do you never read a book twice either?

It is just my opinion about movies. I can read a good book over 5 times.

William50
01-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Although, I am only talking about seeing the movie in the theaters. If there is a really good movie that I see at the movies, I might rent it or even buy it on DVD. One example being Rob Zombie's Holloween. It never gets old!

towerguard
01-20-2008, 06:41 PM

More horror than anything else.

No, it's more Sci-Fi than horror. It's still a thriller.

William50
01-20-2008, 06:45 PM
On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the best), how would you rate Cloverfield?

Erin
01-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Hmm, i remember when it used to be affordable to do that. Adult tix generally cost about $16 each here. Fucked.

Holy cow! $16? I'd probably only see a movie a year or something crappy like that at those prices. Here it's $7.

towerguard
01-20-2008, 07:11 PM

Holy cow! $16? I'd probably only see a movie a year or something crappy like that at those prices. Here it's $7.

From what I've heard, media in any form costs alot more more down there than anywhere else. Trent Reznor from NIN told people in Aus. that they should steal all cd's until the companies realize they should stop fucking them over.

Wuducynn
01-21-2008, 09:46 AM
On a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the best), how would you rate Cloverfield?

I would give it a 9

Wuducynn
01-21-2008, 09:49 AM
No, it's more Sci-Fi than horror. It's still a thriller.

Listen missy! Do you need me to come down to New York and smack you?

kithereal
01-21-2008, 12:29 PM
I give it a 10.
We have been looking forward to the movie since July when we saw the first trailer with The Transformers movie...
It did not dissapoint.
I hear on my LOST group that people went to shows where some people were really sick during the movie.....although NOTHING like that happened at the movie theatre we went to .......I think it is the power of suggestion....people hear the warning and basically make themselves sick. ( if you can handle a ride sim like back to the future or star tours you should have no problem ...because this is nothing )
It was awesome the hand held technique added with CG effects made all the cg more realistic...the dialogue was snappy and witty as one would expect from the LOST crew and it was suspenseful and I was really scared....

KIT

Mike Beck
01-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Although, I am only talking about seeing the movie in the theaters. If there is a really good movie that I see at the movies, I might rent it or even buy it on DVD. One example being Rob Zombie's Holloween. It never gets old!

well, this may expose the level of my dorkiness, but i think i saw the X-Files movie like 8 times in the theater. :(

i really liked it.

plus it's just fun to go out and see a movie on the big screen, i think.

i'm really looking forward to seeing Cloverfield! i just want to know what the hell is tearing the city apart. damn marketing was genious, wasn't it?

Wuducynn
01-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Big spoiler for you Mike, read if you dare.

It's not just one thing

I can't wait to see it again. Oh and I loved the X-Files movie, I saw it three times.

[

Mattrick
01-21-2008, 04:16 PM

Ouch. Really, ouch. I wouldn't even accept that DVD as a Christmas gift. I'd be pissed. If you liked that, in relation to your 1-10 scale question, Cloverfield will be a 67.

I saw the movie about a week ago so I want to see it again. Was front row at a preview screening and it was tough to seen everything. But it added to the size and experience of everything.

Heather19
01-21-2008, 06:35 PM
Finally got to see the movie, and it did not disappoint. I'd probably give it a 9, and the only reason not a 10 was because I thought a few of the things that happened near the end of the film were a bit unrealistic, but then I had to remind myself that it was a monster movie which in itself is unrealistic.
It was definately a very tense movie. And pretty different from most movies that have come out recently. I really liked the way that it was shot, and how it only focused on a select few people and showed what happened from their perspective. I would recommend it in a heartbeat.

boehmke
01-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Movie 4.

So disappointing.

Hutch
01-22-2008, 09:48 AM
I took my 16 and 10 year old girls to watch Cloverfield yesterday afternoon ( $4 each ). We all loved it. It kept us on the edge of our seats once the action got started. I found that with no background music you could not anticipate any scare.

The other movie we loved last fall was Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. ( Bad dad taking his 10 year old to a R rated film ) But truthfully, I don't know why it got an R. I heard the word sh*t three or four times in song and my girls found the neck slashing comical with all the spurting blood.

My kids have watched the horror genre with their father since they were very young. Never a nightmare. They have always know it's just make believe for entertainment sake.

Vasagi
01-22-2008, 10:10 AM
I've heard a lot of good things about Cloverfield ... definitely looking forward to seeing it. Like everything else though ... it will probably have to wait 'till it hits DVD :(

Matt
01-22-2008, 10:15 AM
I give it a 10.
We have been looking forward to the movie since July when we saw the first trailer with The Transformers movie...
It did not dissapoint.
I hear on my LOST group that people went to shows where some people were really sick during the movie.....although NOTHING like that happened at the movie theatre we went to .......I think it is the power of suggestion....people hear the warning and basically make themselves sick. ( if you can handle a ride sim like back to the future or star tours you should have no problem ...because this is nothing )
It was awesome the hand held technique added with CG effects made all the cg more realistic...the dialogue was snappy and witty as one would expect from the LOST crew and it was suspenseful and I was really scared....

KIT

If we're talking about the motion of the camera, that would get me in an instant.

I was able to ride "back to the future" at universal, but just barely :(

kithereal
01-22-2008, 12:28 PM
If we're talking about the motion of the camera, that would get me in an instant.

I was able to ride "back to the future" at universal, but just barely :(

Really,... give it a shot because it isn't that bad...I mentioned back to the Future as a example ..If you have seen Blair Witch you will be fine Cloverfield doesn't come close to the motion of the camera in BW.
I mentioned the motion sickness only because I felt that people were making themselves sick because they heard it MIGHT MAKE THE SICK.

It is really worth a shot

KIT

Heather19
01-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Yeah the camera movements in the film weren't bad at all. I can't imagine someone would actually get sick from it.

Still Servant
01-22-2008, 03:27 PM
If you are worried about getting motion sickness, I would say just make sure you get to the movie early and get a seat near the back of the theater.

Sitting toward the front will make it that much worse. I noticed a few people that got up and moved farther back in the theater.

I would give Cloverfield an 8.

Matt
01-22-2008, 03:52 PM
Yeah, its really bad for me you guys. I'm going to have to do this one at home for sure.

Mattrick
01-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Yeah the camera movements in the film weren't bad at all. I can't imagine someone would actually get sick from it.

I smoked a fat blunt minutes before the movie started, had to travel on a train for an hour to get to the movie, walk fifteen blocks and I hadn't slept in about 40 hrs and was sitting in the front row and I wasn't the least bit sick from it. People are just, plain, stupid.

Wuducynn
01-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Yeah, its really bad for me you guys. I'm going to have to do this one at home for sure.

Well, just in case... here, take this.. http://www.savingadvice.com/images/blog/hello-kitty-barf-bag.jpg

ATG
01-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Stephen King was on the Today Show this morning. He made the offhand comment that the Mist was "sort of a prequel to Cloverfield."

I haven't gotten to see either yet, but plan on watching at least the Mist... For anyone who has seen both, are they actually related at all, or was that out of context, or just referring to style, or what?

Matt
01-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Some people are just not great with motion, it doesn't make them stupid. ;)

Wuducynn
01-22-2008, 07:34 PM
Don't be sad, just take my Hello Kitty barf bag.

ZoNeSeeK
01-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Itd depend on what they had asked him, my guess itd be referring to style or subject matter or "what people should expect" when going to see it, maybe.

Mattrick
01-22-2008, 08:04 PM

I'm not good with motion, especially spinning. Problem with this movie is that YOU'RE NOT IN MOTION. So yes, it does ;) If you were epilleptic (sp?) I could see. Just sit at the back of the theatre.

Malficeus
01-22-2008, 08:05 PM
im sorry to say but ill be generous 3 yes as good as everyone else says it sucked to me... there was really no plot but monster loose in NY, ARMY cant shoot, obsession with a camera, ARMY cant shoot, oh did i mention the AMRY cant SHOOT. this to me was a compliment to every godzilla movie made(every).

My Suggestions:
1.dont waste money
2. if you still go take some motion sickness pills
3. best movie to sit in and make fun of(like X-Men 3!!!)

mikeccp
01-22-2008, 08:12 PM
In seeing both movies now im thinking that just maybe king is going to do the same with his movie projects as he did with his books. I think that the environment is being set and when the dark tower movies start to role out both movies will have a part to play in it. Remember the vast plagues and horrible disasters that were unset on Roland's and "other" worlds when the tower was first attacked.

Erin
01-22-2008, 08:15 PM
I have not seen Cloverfield yet, but I took it to mean they were both gritty, exciting, scare-fests.

ATG
01-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Now I'm confused.
Is Cloverfield a King project somehow?

Randall Flagg
01-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Without giving away either movie, King's comment was not meant to infer the stories were in any way officially tied together, more along the lines of "strange things appear in Maine, and are travelling south (The Mist), and strange things appear in New York City (Cloverfield)."
No offense, but The Oracle is really intended more for official news, and less towards speculation.
This thread and others like it will likely be moved to Fedic Station.

ATG
01-22-2008, 08:19 PM
Without giving away either movie, King's comment was not meant to infer the stories were in any way officially tied together, more along the lines of "strange things appear in Maine, and are travelling south (The Mist), and strange things appear in New York City (Cloverfield)."
No offense, but The Oracle is really intended more for official news, and less towards speculation.
This thread and others like it will likely be moved to Fedic Station.

None taken.

That's why you are probably a moderator and I am a noob.:thumbsup:

Randall Flagg
01-22-2008, 08:40 PM
I am only here for you. A group of one is not a group.
I do think that a little elaboration on King's part would be appreciated.

Malficeus
01-22-2008, 08:44 PM
i only saw one short connection so this is a crap spoiler

a building falls and the dust makes it look like the set of the mist commericals.. but other than that no connection

Bev Vincent
01-23-2008, 03:27 AM
Enormous monsters destroying shit. That's the connection. ;)

Armand St Pierre
01-23-2008, 05:28 AM

With tentacles......can't forget the tentacles.

Bev Vincent
01-23-2008, 06:38 AM
I haven't seen Cloverfield, so I can't comment on tentacles.

Matt
01-23-2008, 08:20 AM

I'm not good with motion, especially spinning. Problem with this movie is that YOU'RE NOT IN MOTION. So yes, it does ;) If you were epilleptic (sp?) I could see. Just sit at the back of the theatre.

Sorry man, it doesn't. I don't have to be moving to become ill from certain camera angles.

I'm far from stupid.

We can start a thread to discuss it if you like but general characterizations like this reflect very poorly on a person imo.

If you want to call everyone who gets motion sickness from freakish cameral angles (like a show about rollar coasters) stupid, that is your business. But its not a very informed opinion.

Now, back to Cloverfield!!

Matt
01-23-2008, 08:22 AM

:lol:

I watched the interview this morning, I think that was it.

Wuducynn
01-23-2008, 09:00 AM
Someone on another message board said that there is a scene towards the end of the movie where you can see a giant splash in the harbor, a little Easter egg with the main monster landing or coming out of the ocean. Has anyone else seen this?

Matt spoiler below
Yes Matt is stupid but he is my kind of stupid

kithereal
01-23-2008, 11:55 AM

don't feel bad Matt....I am not much of a gamer, but the rest of my family are hardcore ....So I wanted to partake in some gaming too.....I figured OK I would try MYST on the Xbox , I like puzzles....they were all excited and bought MYST for me ... I was doing ok for a bit ....I got to this part were I had to keep going up and down this elevator...SUDDENLY the whole world was spinning ...I was SO DIZZY ...I felt like I was going pass out cold.....I had to lay back and put my feet up on a pillow for 1/2 hour while my BF held a cold cloth to my forehead......I felt so silly....
KIT

kithereal
01-23-2008, 11:59 AM
I took my 16 and 10 year old girls to watch Cloverfield yesterday afternoon ( $4 each ). We all loved it. It kept us on the edge of our seats once the action got started. I found that with no background music you could not anticipate any scare.

The other movie we loved last fall was Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. ( Bad dad taking his 10 year old to a R rated film ) But truthfully, I don't know why it got an R. I heard the word sh*t three or four times in song and my girls found the neck slashing comical with all the spurting blood.

My kids have watched the horror genre with their father since they were very young. Never a nightmare. They have always know it's just make believe for entertainment sake.

When I was 7 my father brought us to see Jaws at the Drive In after my mother forbid it.......we thought Dad was the coolest...I sure your kids feel the same way!!!!!!!
KIT

Matt
01-23-2008, 12:03 PM

don't feel bad Matt....I am not much of a gamer, but the rest of my family are hardcore ....So I wanted to partake in some gaming too.....I figured OK I would try MYST on the Xbox , I like puzzles....they were all excited and bought MYST for me ... I was doing ok for a bit ....I got to this part were I had to keep going up and down this elevator...SUDDENLY the whole world was spinning ...I was SO DIZZY ...I felt like I was going pass out cold.....I had to lay back and put my feet up on a pillow for 1/2 hour while my BF held a cold cloth to my forehead......I felt so silly....
KIT

That's pretty much exactly what I get on a whole host of stuff. If there is a warning on the box about motion (and lights, that does it as well), I might as well skip it

Wuducynn
01-23-2008, 12:08 PM
So have you seen Cloverfield yet, Matt?

Matt
01-23-2008, 12:09 PM
:lol:

Ummm...no

Wuducynn
01-23-2008, 12:11 PM
When's the next helicopter to town?

jayson
01-23-2008, 12:11 PM
careful not to look at the smiley too hard matt, you may pass out.:panic:

Wuducynn
01-23-2008, 12:12 PM
careful not to look at the smiley too hard matt, you may pass out.:panic:

Ohhhh shit! :lol:

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy check THIS one out Matt!!!

:excited:

Matt
01-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Sure...I pour my heart out and get nothing but proverbial pokes in the eye.

I can take it.

**shuts the board down**

Grillslinger
01-23-2008, 12:31 PM
I loved Cloverfield. As far as the "Army can't shoot" phrase that was said over and over...

They could shoot and aim just fine. They just couldn't hurt it.

Malficeus
01-23-2008, 01:55 PM
I loved Cloverfield. As far as the "Army can't shoot" phrase that was said over and over...

They could shoot and aim just fine. They just couldn't hurt it.

lol i know but my friend is a marine and as a future one had to point it out as a joke.

but think about the ending and how the people died... who killed them?... THE ARMY'S bombs

Wuducynn
01-23-2008, 02:04 PM
but think about the ending and how the people died... who killed them?... THE ARMY'S bombs

It wasn't clear to me what killed them exactly, it seemed like it could easily have been the big monster crushing the bridge they were under for all you could see, just a lot of rubble.

Malficeus
01-23-2008, 02:10 PM

It wasn't clear to me what killed them exactly, it seemed like it could easily have been the big monster crushing the bridge they were under for all you could see, just a lot of rubble.

or maybe both?

Wuducynn
01-23-2008, 02:12 PM
Yeah, one of the things I love about the movie is that there is so much open to your imagination, because you can never see anything for very long, you just get these frightening glimpses of things and everything is so crazy, really giving you the feeling of what it would like if a big city like New York was suddenly attacked by monsters.

Malficeus
01-23-2008, 02:17 PM
yeah that is an excellent point there and also as for your easter egg reply yes there is by the way

Wuducynn
01-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Shweeeet, can't wait to look for it this weekend.

John Blaze
01-23-2008, 03:18 PM
i didn't know cloverfield was a king project. is it based on a short story, or is it a written script only type deal?

Matt
01-23-2008, 03:21 PM
I do not believe it is. He just mentioned a connection in his interview but I think we have decided it was a "general" connection.

Heather19
01-23-2008, 03:33 PM
King has no involvement in Cloverfield whatsoever. I think it's exactly what Bev said, in that both movies deal with monsters that suddenly appear and start attacking a neighborhood.

Mattrick
01-23-2008, 09:01 PM
The monster in Cloverfield Resembled, imo, from certain shots, the Mist monster seen right around the very end. I thought the giant louses were also similar or would fit right into the mist.

I think that was what king meant. Not to mention the limited perspective, not really being able to see what much of the things were, not to mention a failry depressing ending..

Abrams is a huge King fan and we know King is a fan of Abrams. I could definitely see Abrams adding that King element to it.

Mattrick
01-23-2008, 09:18 PM

Sorry man, it doesn't. I don't have to be moving to become ill from certain camera angles.

I'm far from stupid.

We can start a thread to discuss it if you like but general characterizations like this reflect very poorly on a person imo.

If you want to call everyone who gets motion sickness from freakish cameral angles (like a show about rollar coasters) stupid, that is your business. But its not a very informed opinion.

Now, back to Cloverfield!!

I'm not inferring you as stupid. I'm generally, referring to people who said 'they had motion sickness' when they are not moving. That is not motion sickness. Any motion sickness generated in this case is strictly due visceral causes and not inflicted by a person level of immunity to g forces is bullocks.

Malficeus, that was the point of the movie. The plot is a monster attacking from a pedestrians point of view. If you were unhappy with that or anyone doesn't want to see that, then yes, don't waste your money.

Matt
01-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Its idiotic to keep discussing this but you are so off I have to comment.

I appreciate you not inferring I am stupid--if you don't want to call the reaction some people get from first person camera angles "motion sickness" then that's cool. Splitting hairs, but cool.

What I am trying to say is that people who were made ill by this movies "motion" could be legitimately sick and not idiots as you are trying to say :D

TerribleT
01-24-2008, 03:30 PM
http://www.webmd.com/news/20080122/whats-behind-cloverfield-illness?src=RSS_PUBLIC

While motion sickness is usually caused by plane, boat, or car movement, bumpy camerawork could definitely do it, too.

Motion sickness occurs when the brain receives conflicting messages from the inner ear, the eyes, and other parts of the body.

While watching Cloverfield, viewers were sitting still in their seats, so their inner ear was telling their body they were motionless. But the bumpy camera movements -- and their eyes -- misled them into thinking they were moving around erratically.

These conflicting messages to the brain lead to symptoms of motion sickness, most notably nausea. Other symptoms include vomiting, headache, and sweating.

Matt
01-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Yep, that's pretty much it.

Thanks for finding that information T. :couple:

Erin
01-24-2008, 09:07 PM
I'm going to see Cloverfield Friday night! I'm excited. I've been looking forward to it for awhile.

Wuducynn
01-25-2008, 09:24 AM
Erin, honestly, if you are succeptable to motion sickness be sure to take some dramamine before you go, because the entire movie is from the perspective of a camcorder.

Still Servant
01-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Just sit towards the back Erin. You should be okay.

Back row is the best anyway, right people?

My favorite spot is the last row, all the way to the left if you are facing the screen. I like sitting right in front of the steps because I'm fairly tall (6'2") and like to stretch my legs.

Plus, I don't have to get up if people want to leave the row.

Wuducynn
01-25-2008, 06:56 PM
I like third or fourth row towards the front.

Malficeus
01-25-2008, 07:14 PM
so you saw it CK?

Still Servant
01-25-2008, 10:37 PM
EW talked a little bit about the success of Cloverfield. They said that the money it's making means they will more than likely try to make a sequel.

If they were to make another film, how would you guys want them to approach it? Would you want to see the same home video style but with a different group of people during the New York invasion? Would you want them to focus on a new city?

Or maybe pick up after the first film?

There could be some interesting things to explore.

Erin
01-25-2008, 10:48 PM
Wow wow wow wow. What a freaking great movie. I loved everything about it. And the camera shaking didn't bother me, I don't tend to get motion sickness.

Like everyone else said, I loved the focus on a small group and how realistic everything was. One quick question though:

What exactly happened to the girl who was bit by the spider-ish thing? I looked away for a brief moment (I spilt some drink on my shirt) when she was being drug into the Quarantine after her eye's started bleeding. I looked up and there was a lot of blood on the canvas. Did she turn into one of the creatures or did she explode or something?

Overall, it was super great and I'm going to go see it again later next week with another friend.

Oh, I also really loved the scene where:

you see the lone horse pulling the empty carriage on the abandoned street

That sceen sent shivers up and down my spine.

OchrisO
01-25-2008, 10:51 PM
Her head asplode.

Malficeus
01-25-2008, 11:05 PM
EW talked a little bit about the success of Cloverfield. They said that the money it's making means they will more than likely try to make a sequel.

If they were to make another film, how would you guys want them to approach it? Would you want to see the same home video style but with a different group of people during the New York invasion? Would you want them to focus on a new city?

yeah i heard about sequals given that they proably werent the only ones filming. what i would like to see is a military version taken from a soliders helmet or from a vehicle. and another thing i would like to see is london attacked

Wuducynn
01-26-2008, 12:41 AM
Wow wow wow wow. What a freaking great movie. I loved everything about it. And the camera shaking didn't bother me, I don't tend to get motion sickness.

Like everyone else said, I loved the focus on a small group and how realistic everything was. One quick question though:

What exactly happened to the girl who was bit by the spider-ish thing? I looked away for a brief moment (I spilt some drink on my shirt) when she was being drug into the Quarantine after her eye's started bleeding. I looked up and there was a lot of blood on the canvas. Did she turn into one of the creatures or did she explode or something?

Overall, it was super great and I'm going to go see it again later next week with another friend.

Oh, I also really loved the scene where:

you see the lone horse pulling the empty carriage on the abandoned street

That sceen sent shivers up and down my spine.

So many scenes did that to me...glad it blew you away like it did me! :cool:

Heather19
01-26-2008, 08:31 AM
I really hope they don't go forward with a sequel. Can't they just for once leave a successful movie alone.

Brice
01-26-2008, 10:00 AM
no, they can't

Mattrick
01-26-2008, 05:45 PM

If they do a sequel they would need to do a different format. No way could it work again. The only reason for a sequel would be to further the plot of what happened after with the monster and not the characters from the original. It should still be told from a personal perspective and not a national perspective to keep that pedestrian element to it but no, not the home video camera.

Whether they make or not make a sequel I'll be happy. Sequels are always made to movie in which don't need a sequel or wasn't even left open for one. Cloverfield could be taken in so many different directions.

It's a situation on whether they will be stupid and make a sequel, ruining a good original movie or they are too stupid to NOT make a sequel.

MIST AND CLOVERFIELD CONNECTIONS SPOILERS FOR BOTH

I finished reading The Mist last night for the first time. I still like the ending to the movie better, it's as if Darabont just added what happens next (even though his ending is alluded to in the the story).

In the final pages (in the movie, it's where I saw the monster I thought looked like Cloverfield) goes like this

It was six-legged, I know that; it's skin was slaty gray that mottled to dark brown in places. Those dark brown patches reminded me absurdedly of the liver spots on Mrs. Carmody's hands. Its skin was deeply wrinkled and grooved and clinging to it were scores, hundreds of those pinkish "bugs" with the stalk-eyes. I don't know how big it actually was, but it passed directly over us. One of its gray, wrinkled legs smashed down right beside my window, and Mrs. Reppler said later she could not see the underside of it's body, although she craned her neck up to look. She saw only two Cyclopean legs going up and up into the mist like living towers until they were lost to sight.

With the King comment on 'the Mist being a prequel to cloverfield' this paragraph alone made me wonder.

Heather19
01-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Very interesting Mattrick. It's been so long since I had read the story, I forgot how King described one the things in the mist. It does pretty much sound like the monster in Cloverfield.

Still Servant
01-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Can't they just for once leave a successful movie alone.

Unfortunately, they can't. The way Hollywood is right now, if a movie does well, it's automatically open to a sequel.

Then again, if Terminator and Alien stopped after one film, we would have been robbed of two great films.

As far as a sequel is concerned, I love Mal's idea of seeing it from a mounted camera on a soldier. It's different and it's still stays with the same format.

Wuducynn
01-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Hmmm that is an interesting idea. Turns out there were two cam corder tapes of the incident and one of those was from a soldiers perspective. That is kind of a cool idea.

Mattrick
01-27-2008, 08:35 AM
Can't they just for once leave a successful movie alone.

Unfortunately, they can't. The way Hollywood is right now, if a movie does well, it's automatically open to a sequel.

Then again, if Terminator and Alien stopped after one film, we would have been robbed of two great films.

As far as a sequel is concerned, I love Mal's idea of seeing it from a mounted camera on a soldier. It's different and it's still stays with the same format.

It's not different though. The problem with the first person perspective is it's so limited in story telling. What would this soldier be doing that's so enthralling besides shooting at the monster with an assualt rifle? It would make a genre defining film into a generic series.

To make it realisitc they would have to do lots of research into the military, proceedures etc. It would involve many meetings and army jargon which, if done realisitc, would be jargon to many people. Not to mention camera's soldier wear are often streaming to a destination source. It couldn't work the same way as Cloverfield. What made this movie so good what that it's gimmick is (besides blair witch) is fresh and original. Doing the same format again would not only hinder the first movie's genius but would be just dishing out more of the same. The problem with sequels is that they only up the ante from the original without offering much new; this is what made Aliens and Terminator 2 such great sequels.

Yunsung
02-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Saw it the weekend it came out, and again last night with the gf. She got a little dizzy, but absolutely refused to go get some fresh air because she "might miss something". :wub:

Also...

someone made a comment about the monster not being the only one? I know it, logically, has to be one member of a species... but were more than one awakened by the falling satellite?

With the King comment on 'the Mist being a prequel to cloverfield' this paragraph alone made me wonder.

Where was this? :scared:

Mattrick
02-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Someone posted it here somewhere. Check a couple pages back Fedic or maybe the news forum.

HanzouNorak
05-22-2008, 08:26 PM
when i watched Cloverfield, i was bored to death im between the monster and those spideriy parasite thing attacks, but i saw what looked like a new monster at every point, it looked weird as hell and, you know what, theres videos on speculation of two monsters and other bullshit, speculation on this tiny-ass splash at the end of the movie, and this thing being a sea monster and crap, but the truth is, THEY'RE ALL WRONG! THERES NO DIFINITIVE ANSWER! from what i can tell, the Cloverfield monster is actualy two simliar CGIs and each time we see the fucker from a distace is slightly modifed to keep us going "What the Fuck?" each time we manage to see it. the backstory from the blog and the Manga (theres a Manga, yes its true, but i never wasted time tring to find it let alone read it) are all ploys to keep us guessing and to keep us the palm of their hands! if they make a sequel its going to blow away the box office because of the confusing dead-end clues that the first movie and "official" blog/Manga gave us. i looked over clips from the movie several times and couldn't figure out what the monster looked like, ether the head was different or it walked different or it was a different color or what the fuck. second, those things that came off it are different too, first their spidery, then their these flattened ceiling crawli- fuck it! i cant organize these millions of oddity clips that i find on the internet or that i saw in the movie. what ever its foucusing on looks different every time i see it.

bottom line, dont lose sleep over where it came from, or what it looks like, cause you wont get any answer no matter how hard you look at it.

as a bonus, anyone who can find me a pictrue of the original Godzilla kicking the Cloverfield monster in the face or nuts gets every single beam buck i have, and im up to about 5000 now.

razz
05-25-2008, 12:57 PM
http://a281.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/28/l_2b2fdae6ac13823faef45f6f7d537138.jpg

based off how you described the cloverfield monster. do i win?

:D:D:D

The Lady of Shadows
05-25-2008, 04:43 PM
let me just go on the record by saying i really like cloverfield, and totally understood what they were trying to do with the monster.

that being said - razz that was the funniest thing i've seen all day!!!!! :rofl:

Heather19
05-25-2008, 05:01 PM
I loved Cloverfield, and didn't have any problem with the monster whatsoever. I don't remember there being so many inconsistencies with it. Maybe it was because we just got to see quick glances of it that I didn't notice any differences.

HanzouNorak
05-25-2008, 10:18 PM
see, i dont hate the movie, i dont dislike it, but i was really kinda bored watching it. that large rant i posted wasn't speaking against it, it was just my opinion on the incosistances that i noticed with the monster in it.

razz
05-26-2008, 12:11 PM
i've been wanting to see the movie since it came out, but the talk on tv before it came out made it seem like it sucked. then i heard it was good, and my wish to see it was renewed

The Lady of Shadows
05-26-2008, 12:18 PM
i've been wanting to see the movie since it came out, but the talk on tv before it came out made it seem like it sucked. then i heard it was good, and my wish to see it was renewed

definitely rent it, unless you're prone to motion sickness. i thought all that talk was bullshit but a friend of mine who saw it in the theatre said he had to leave to throw up and just couldn't go back in. he said he tried to rent it and it wasn't as bad but he still got sick. :(

watch the alternate endings.

razz
05-26-2008, 12:25 PM
a lot of people bashed it becaused they say it was too much like the Blair Witch project.

The Lady of Shadows
05-26-2008, 12:32 PM
i never saw blairwitch so i can't speak to that subject.

razz
05-26-2008, 12:42 PM
a lot like Cloverfield, except they don't show the antagonist at all.

The Lady of Shadows
05-26-2008, 12:52 PM
worth renting?

razz
05-26-2008, 01:30 PM
i suppose. don't watch it in the morning. only in the evening as the sun goes down for best enjoyment. only buy it if you see it at goodwill or something.

Heather19
05-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Definately check it out Razz. The only way in which it's similar to Blair Witch is the style in which it was filmed. For some reason alot of people have a problem with that type of filming so will automatically dub it as being bad because it's not all nice and clean looking. However, in my opinion, I think it makes the film more realistic, and draws you in so you feel as if you're right there with them, and seeing what they're seeing. I really didn't find the camera to be that shaky, but that could just be me. And you do get glimpses of the monster, unlike Blair Witch, just not long extended scenes of it.

It's one of the best movies I've seen in quite awhile. The whole audience I saw it with was really into it. And I think it is one of those films that is really better off being viewed on the big screen, however don't let that stop you from renting it.

razz
05-26-2008, 03:21 PM
i hear diary of the dead was filmed like that too.

Heather19
05-26-2008, 03:36 PM
I think it is, but I haven't seen it yet.

razz
05-26-2008, 03:41 PM
well i gotta see it. cloverfield, DotD, etc.

Mattrick
05-31-2008, 01:32 AM
For the record, only idiots think this movie was like Blair Witch Project. These would be the same idiots that think Star Trek and Star Wars are the same because they are in space and that Braveheart and Gladiator were the same because it's aussies playing non-aussie's with swords.

The Cloverfield monster is the same always, after watching the special features it was much easier to tell.

TO OP, as for the 'where it came from' etc, we've been told. Clover is a young monster who came up to the surface due to being disturbed by a company (same Robert Hawkings was going to Tokyo to work for) with undersea oil drilling. It destroys the oil platform, moved north along the coast when it encounters a fallen satellite covered with alien parasites which then attach to Clover, enraging it...this is when it finds New York City.

razz
05-31-2008, 03:58 AM
wow. i just read that all at once, and i came out with
"Cloverfield was a young monster looking for work when he saw Stephen Hawkings and aliens drilling for oil in an undersea satellite"

Heather19
05-31-2008, 11:14 AM
TO OP, as for the 'where it came from' etc, we've been told. Clover is a young monster who came up to the surface due to being disturbed by a company (same Robert Hawkings was going to Tokyo to work for) with undersea oil drilling. It destroys the oil platform, moved north along the coast when it encounters a fallen satellite covered with alien parasites which then attach to Clover, enraging it...this is when it finds New York City.

Where did you hear this?

The Lady of Shadows
06-01-2008, 01:25 PM
For the record, only idiots think this movie was like Blair Witch Project. These would be the same idiots that think Star Trek and Star Wars are the same because they are in space and that Braveheart and Gladiator were the same because it's aussies playing non-aussie's with swords. <snip>

okay, - - - ouch. :( i'm pretty sure we were just talking about stylistically (is that a word) not content-wise. the style of camera movement, etc.

razz
06-01-2008, 02:13 PM
I can tell from the commercials that Cloverfield was filmed better. you can actually see what's going on.

Woofer
06-02-2008, 03:37 PM
For the record, only idiots think this movie was like Blair Witch Project. These would be the same idiots that think Star Trek and Star Wars are the same because they are in space and that Braveheart and Gladiator were the same because it's aussies playing non-aussie's with swords. <snip>

okay, - - - ouch. :( i'm pretty sure we were just talking about stylistically (is that a word) not content-wise. the style of camera movement, etc.

We were. That's not why I hate TBWP, though. I hate it because the people were annoying and their constant bickering put me in a bad mood. Literally.

Shamey
06-02-2008, 03:40 PM
http://a281.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/28/l_2b2fdae6ac13823faef45f6f7d537138.jpg

based off how you described the cloverfield monster. do i win?

:D:D:D

:rofl: I love it.

Ricky
06-27-2008, 04:02 PM

Where did you hear this from? As far as I know, J.J. just stated the part in bold. I'm not sure where you found the other parts. :orely:

Darkthoughts
06-28-2008, 03:46 AM
Merged with the existing Cloverfield thread ;)

blackrose22
06-28-2008, 05:24 AM
Watched Cloverfield during the week on DVD and loved it. Wished now I had seen it in the cinema. Loved the fast pace of the film and the ending was brilliant.

cozener
06-28-2008, 05:39 AM
Mighty good flick this is...

razz
07-29-2008, 06:10 PM
i just watched it. it wasn't bad. like bowling. i don't hate bowling

mae
02-05-2018, 09:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8brYvhEg5Aw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJOQZmGsywE

Still Servant
02-05-2018, 02:32 PM
Shame on us for not digging this thread up when 10 Cloverfield Lane came out.

mae
02-05-2018, 02:50 PM
My bads :cry:

fernandito
02-05-2018, 03:35 PM
doesn't the new Cloverfield have like a %13 on RT?

Still Servant
02-05-2018, 04:38 PM

Yeah, it's really bumming me out. I started watching it in bed after the Super Bowl, but fell asleep. I will finish it soon.

I'm not hearing good things unfortunately.

Merlin1958
02-05-2018, 04:57 PM

Yeah, it's really bumming me out. I started watching it in bed after the Super Bowl, but fell asleep. I will finish it soon.

I'm not hearing good things unfortunately.

Wasn't very good IMHO. At least we got an explanatioEspecially bad was the woman in the wall who was all better 10 mins later.

Andi
02-05-2018, 06:42 PM
I didn't *hate* Paradox but its my least favorite of the three movies.

I really liked the ending. Reminded me of the end of Life which i thought was pretty cool.

mae
02-05-2018, 07:09 PM
Haven't watched this yet, but apparently there will be a fourth movie in the series later this year. I find this franchise very cool. And coolest of all is the end titles theme from the original, which is just one of the best pieces of movie score ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzEBwADAnKA

Still Servant
02-07-2018, 04:15 PM
I haven't finished watching Paradox yet, but what bugs me is that they found a screenplay on a shelf and were like, "Hey, let's just make this a Cloverfield movie. People know the word Cloverfield and will go see it." Then somewhere along the line they were like, "Fuck it, let's just sell it to Netflix and get some money back."