PDA

View Full Version : Thinnies...and Similar Phenomena

thevioletcreep
02-04-2008, 04:30 PM
In "The Mist" the mist is supposed to be a thinny. If this is so, what is the car in "From A Buick 8" is it a contained thinny? Something else?
The similarities are there, the things that come from either exhibit the same characteristics, i.e. turn black and give off vapors, etc. Just wondering.

Wuducynn
02-04-2008, 05:08 PM
Spoiler for The Dark Tower Series and Low Men in Yellow Coats.

Its a can-toi or "Low Man" car

jayson
02-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Spoiler for The Dark Tower Series and Low Men in Yellow Coats.

Its a can-toi or "Low Man" car

cool, that's what i thought of it too.

Wuducynn
02-04-2008, 05:36 PM
And thats not just my theory, thats from Mr. King.

thevioletcreep
02-04-2008, 06:08 PM
I figured that, but they act as thinnies? On this I wasn't so sure, thanks!

Grillslinger
02-05-2008, 06:48 AM
They act more like The Jaunt. It goes to another world, whereas the thinny in the mist and in Deadbolt Canyon led to todash space.

The Buick 8 was also similar to the teleport from The Tommyknockers.

John Blaze
02-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Wait wait wait....

The Mist is my very fav SK short, and I don't remember there being a thinny.

Mattrick
02-06-2008, 10:50 PM
I think their referring the dimension rift opened due to the military's meddling with The Arrowhead Project.

John Blaze
02-06-2008, 10:52 PM
That makes more sense.

Grillslinger
05-20-2008, 11:15 AM
There are obvious thinnies in Ms. Todd's Shortcut and in Crouch End...but is there a thinny in Pet Semetary? I'm currently re-reading it, and Louis' hike to the burial ground is very interesting. In a nutshell...

plants unlike Lou has ever seen
stars with no recognizable constellations
a mist, low at first, then once he's in, is completely dense
the mist is unaffected by the strong gales of wind that Lou can hear....he think of this place as being seperated from the world around it
time difference...what feels like half the night only took a few hours.
A sixty-foot-tall creature walks by. Because of the mist, He can only vaguely make out it's shape.

I thought that was all pretty interesting! What do you think?

mia/susannah
05-20-2008, 02:43 PM
I have not read or heard of Ms. Todds Shortcut or Crouch end, So I really have no input on this

theBeamisHome
06-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Crouch End is in Nightmares & Dreamscapes I think and Mrs. Todd's Shortcut is in Skeleton Crew... both very good.. the Crouch End that they did in the Nightmares & Dreamscapes tv series was really good for an adaptation.. to me at least.

I agree with Grillslinger... Both of those have to be thinnies, although I hadn't even thought of Crouch End... and idk about Pet Semetary.. I was just under the impression that it was different because of what it was.. but you might have something..