PDA

View Full Version : Writer's Block is killing me, please help

Jimmy
05-19-2008, 06:51 PM
I haven't been able to write in ages. I can't even be bothered to pick up a pen. I'll open an application to write and nothing comes. I'll have good ideas, but I can't get them on paper. I read and read about writing and nothing happens.

I got nothin' and I need advice. Please help.

Erin
05-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Awww, i'm sorry to hear about that Jimmy.

Maybe since you like comics so much, you can make sketches or doodles of your ideas? Maybe seeing them come to life on paper will motivate you to write about them?

Jimmy
05-19-2008, 07:48 PM
Heh, I can't draw anymore either. I'll sketch something out and get frustrated and stop. Thanks though.

alinda
05-19-2008, 07:52 PM
Your words are gone you've lost your way
to pen a poem or a play? A novel or a letter
a clever riddle even better, the need is great
the muse is present your dreams are vivid
under the cresent. Dont fret they'll come
the words you seek, this block will open
within a week. *goodmind* Hows that? :D

OchrisO
05-19-2008, 08:17 PM
I fight with writer's block all the time. Often I am just so busy writing for school and stuff that when I find free time to write, it is the last thing I feel like doing.

I also often suffer from having(what I think are) great ideas in my head, but being unable to get them on paper. I have found that moving to a different style tends to move things a bit, if I am mostly focuses on writing a novel idea out, I will switch up and try to write some poetry. One important thing, and this probably helps me the most, is to write something every day. Go grab a cheap journal type notebook and try to write at least something in it every day, even if it is just spilling out something that is annoying you on paper, or writing about what is going on in the world. The act of writing itself makes writing come easier. I find that if I make sure to write in my writing journal every day, the writing part tends to flow out easier when I sit down to actually write fiction stuff connected to ideas that i have in my head.

Also, I keep a small notebook and pen on me at all times for jotting down ideas, because I found that i would often get a scene or a snatch of dialogue in my head that really inspired me(this most often happened at work when my mind was wandering) and I would think that I could remember it when I got home, but I'd get home and have nothing, or remember the basics of it, but something wouldn't seem right, or as inspiring as it did when I first thought of it. So, now I just take out the notebook and write it all down the moment I have a chance. Writing down notes in the small notebook, or the journal to work from often helps me when I have sat down to try to write. My journal is full of notes on characters for stories or general story ideas.

The biggest thing is to not wait for inspiration. Inspiration is mostly a myth. People rarely just go "Oh! I've got it!" and start writing. I write stuff, bury it in a folder and no one ever sees it again. Write all the time, even if you think you don't have anything to write about. If you don't have an idea to start with, just start writing stream of consciousness about whatever is in your head. Just write. Every day. Some published authors make it seem easy, but they all work at it. Think up writing prompts to write in the journal, just for the act of writing, make a list of them and write on one each day if you don't have a story begging to be told. Things like "Describe your father/mother/grandfather/grandmother's eyes." It may seem silly, but the idea is just to make yourself write and be descriptive. It really does help in the long run.

Oh, copious non-addictive drug use also helps. ;)

Jimmy
05-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the advice guys! I'll be sure to give the journal thing a whirl starting tomorrow. Gonna be hitting the sack soon.

And I don't have a connection here OchrisO. Sucks.

Sucks so bad.

Jean
05-19-2008, 11:36 PM
Also, I keep a small notebook and pen on me at all times for jotting down ideas, because I found that i would often get a scene or a snatch of dialogue in my head that really inspired me(this most often happened at work when my mind was wandering) and I would think that I could remember it when I got home, but I'd get home and have nothing, or remember the basics of it, but something wouldn't seem right, or as inspiring as it did when I first thought of it. So, now I just take out the notebook and write it all down the moment I have a chance. Writing down notes in the small notebook, or the journal to work from often helps me when I have sat down to try to write. My journal is full of notes on characters for stories or general story ideas.
same here. I only discovered that method of always having a notebook nandy a few months ago, and I know that a lot had been already lost by then - a lot of stuff I could have found use for if I hadn't waited for "inspiration" (actually, for the bout of laziness to be over) to write it down hoping I wouldn't forget.

razz
05-20-2008, 05:19 AM
when i can't write on a subject, i just chill, but try to make connections with everyday life, and the subject.
ex: i can't continue my story. so i walk around (DON'T GO OUT OF YOUR WAY) and think this is related to what's happening to Phil (or Joe or Bob or whatever) and if it doesn't work the first few times, it will work within about a week.

Mattrick
05-20-2008, 10:55 AM
I haven't written a word in a good five months. And it's not that I'm freaking out trying to write it, it's been in the back of my min these last few months but at the same time I think about it often.

I think what's really doing it is that I'm disappointed with aspects of my novel thus far and it's interfering with the process of writing the ending. I really want to do the first 70 pages over again, see how much better I can make it. Maybe I just sense that missing cohesion from start to finish and it's making it hard.

As for advice, I can't offer much. Notebooks et all don't do much good for me. Best advice I can give is don't fret about, just wait for inspiration. A watch pot never boils and all that jazz.

cozener
05-20-2008, 11:35 AM
The worst thing for me is just getting started, writing that first couple of paragraphs and liking them enough to get the flow going.

Jimmy
05-20-2008, 01:44 PM
The worst thing for me is just getting started, writing that first couple of paragraphs and liking them enough to get the flow going.

Exactly. For me it's a matter of working up to that. I'd love to be able to do a few paragraphs. Whether I liked it or not. Just to write again would be great.

razz
05-20-2008, 03:19 PM
I HATE that.

Ves'Ka Gan
06-01-2008, 12:47 PM
I knew a girl who had a tattoo on her inner forearm of a plume and a scroll of paper, on the scroll of paper it said "just keep writing".

She said whenever she was stuck with writers block, she would say it to herself (much like the fish in Finding Nemo "just keep swimming, swimming, swimming) and eve nif she had NOTHING, she would write the words "jsut keep writing" over and over. Sometimes she would do stream of conciousness or write from prompts in books like "The Writers Book Of Matches", but no matter what, she would just keep writing.

I've gotten serious about my work again and I've found that it helps a lot to write a little every day, even if it is crazy nonsensical stuff. Also, I often write with a "soundtrack" of music that I feel fits the mood of what I am working on. If it gets real tough, I take a break and read.

Mattrick
06-01-2008, 02:56 PM

Try writing without caring about if you like the paragraph or not. That is what re-writes are for :thumbsup:

Mattrick
06-01-2008, 02:58 PM
I knew a girl who had a tattoo on her inner forearm of a plume and a scroll of paper, on the scroll of paper it said "just keep writing".

She said whenever she was stuck with writers block, she would say it to herself (much like the fish in Finding Nemo "just keep swimming, swimming, swimming) and eve nif she had NOTHING, she would write the words "jsut keep writing" over and over. Sometimes she would do stream of conciousness or write from prompts in books like "The Writers Book Of Matches", but no matter what, she would just keep writing.

I've gotten serious about my work again and I've found that it helps a lot to write a little every day, even if it is crazy nonsensical stuff. Also, I often write with a "soundtrack" of music that I feel fits the mood of what I am working on. If it gets real tough, I take a break and read.

Different strokes for different folks. For me, I can't just write nothing about anything...that's what forums are for. I write every day, even if it's only my thoughts and opinions on a forum. If I'm going to write, I'm going to write.

razz
06-01-2008, 02:58 PM
there's a problem with me: I think too much.

LadyHitchhiker
06-01-2008, 03:17 PM
"All work and no play makes John a dull boy..."

Jimmy
06-02-2008, 04:22 AM

Huh, I'll check out this "Writer's Book of Matches." I've never heard of it. I think if I was prompted with a topic, I could probably write something.

Other than that, just writing anything is difficult for me. I'm even having a hard time posting anymore. Thank you so much for the advice though, you may have just been a huge help to me. :nana:

Brice
06-02-2008, 04:47 AM
there's a problem with me: I think too much.

No...no you don't.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself, dude :P

Ves'Ka Gan
06-02-2008, 10:23 AM
Oh, the Writer's Book Of Matches is great. Some of the prompts are really straight forward and others are little snippets and quotes that canbe sort of challenging. I've gotten some great short stories out of it, and it did help me get back into writing again.

PedroPáramo
06-17-2008, 11:17 AM
The Writer's block, for me, lately is something that I don't really care. If I don't know what to write I reopen an old tale to work on it. It's just find something to do. I usually put a lot of music on my tales, so when I don't know how to write I play music and start to sing with all my heart...when I'm alone on home xD.
Just stop think on the writer's block and think more on a story. A good story don't come good from the beginig: the story evolves with time, and gets better. That's our work: get diamonds from shit, not from gold.
Write everyday like if It was the last one.
The point is to convice the reader to not die without read the rest. Don't have mercy with him.
And the best cure of the writer's block: inspiration is only for poets
and their magic:
it isn't for narrative writers.
99% of work, 1% of talent. That's what my narrative teacher says.

Ves'Ka Gan
06-18-2008, 11:25 PM
Didn't Stephen King once say something about (complete paraphrasing here) Talented people are everywhere, the difference between the successful writers and non-successful writers is hard work...?

I need to go look that up.

Ves'Ka Gan
06-18-2008, 11:26 PM
Here it is:
“Talent is cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.”

PedroPáramo
06-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Good one Ves'Ka Gan.
Hard work is good for literature.
Hemingway said the same, as far as I can remember.
And Gabriel Garcia Marques said too.

Ves'Ka Gan
06-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Hemingway also said "All first drafts are shit." Which upon thinking about it that way, it has freed me to write a little easier...just finish the story and not worry about whether or not it's "good enough"--it isn't, that's why it's the first draft!

LemurJones
06-22-2008, 04:31 AM
you know what, i get the writer block too only it waits until I'm like six pages into a story I really like.

And... and that makes me sad. I never have a problem starting... I just can't finish anything.

obscurejude
06-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Jimmy, I think you should write a book about 2012 and the end of the world.

:cool:

Jimmy
06-28-2008, 05:26 PM
Jimmy, I think you should write a book about 2012 and the end of the world.

:cool:

You want me to write "Chicken Little?"

It's been done, sir.

Sam
06-28-2008, 08:20 PM
Hemingway also said "All first drafts are shit."

In Hemingway's case, the finished products were shit too.

This opinion was brought to you by the critic's broacasting service. This is only an opinion.

ATG
06-28-2008, 10:07 PM
My problem is that I get too many ideas and never finish anything. A form of writers block.

I've been toying with voice recognition software that I can speak and it converts it into written word or using a mini recorder to get down ideas or even tell the tale to transcribe later. No easy answers. Just stick with it.

The dancer slows her frantic pace
In pain and desperation,
Her aching limbs and downcast face
Aglow with perspiration

Stiff as wire, her lungs on fire,
With just the briefest pause
The flooding through her memory,
The echoes of old applause.

She limps across the floor
And closes her bedroom door...

The writer stare with glassy eyes
Defies the empty page
His beard is white, his face is lined

And streaked with tears of rage.

Thirty years ago, how the words would flow
With passion and precision,
But now his mind is dark and dulled
By sickness and indecision

And he stares out the kitchen door
Where the sun will rise no more...

Some are born to move the world
To live their fantasies
But most of us just dream about
The things we'd like to be
Sadder still to watch it die
Than never to have known it
For you, the blind who once could see
The bell tolls for thee...
YouTube - Rush - Losing It

Seymour_Glass
06-29-2008, 02:37 PM
I just had this horrible case of writer's block on this comic I'm writing. I had a point A and a point B but there was no little line in between (to use a horrible, shameful metaphor). But, what I realized is that when you get into that sort of dilemma, you usually have a bunch of subconscious assumptions about what that little line is going to look like. Find them and kill them.

Bluenose
08-02-2008, 08:50 AM
Loud music also helps, at least for me!

Chap
11-17-2008, 02:09 AM
you know what, i get the writer block too only it waits until I'm like six pages into a story I really like.

And... and that makes me sad. I never have a problem starting... I just can't finish anything.

Same here... The most I've written is 30 pages, and that was YEARS ago. I've got loads of stories to write, but they all just "stop".

RolandStageDive
04-04-2009, 12:43 PM
This topic is ancient, but I feel the need to... sneak in.

I give this advice whenever someone is suffering writer's block.

Write anyway. Make each keystroke or penstroke deliberately, even if you feel like you're pushing a huge hunk of lead.

Half of what you write may be shit, but that means that somewhere along the line, the wall is broken and in pieces, and you can go back and rework the first piece.

My favorite music, discussions with my best friends, and House M.D. are usually my Writer's Block Breakers.

rradicob
07-25-2009, 11:25 AM
not sure if this topic is still relevant or not. personally when i have a block i'll do a few different things depending on how i feel and what i can do.

wait - give it some time, give it some thought, just don't let it simmer on the back burner too long.

walk - try not thinking at all. clear your mind, clear your head.

write - i'll usually write notes, brain storm on what i want to write next but outside of how or where i write the rest of the story. no obligation to use any of it. or one thing i LOVE to do is write down how much the block frustrates me. i wouldn't personally suggesting blogging it, just paper and pen - personal connection between you and your fresh ink of anger.

flaggwalkstheline
07-25-2009, 11:41 AM
I dont know if this will help but when I get writers block (n i write poetry so it may be a different kind of writers block) I find there are 2 ways to overcome it, one is go somewhere new, where new people are, put yourself in a situation different that ur used to, the other is when I write down every bit of semi interesting information that I see for a whole week and then try to string together all of those observations into something entertaining
dont know if that works for prose though...

smcicr
08-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Drink. Simple as that. I guess anything that distracts the impossible to please internal censor for a while will suffice but for me, have a drink with a pen and paper in easy reach - there's usually something there afterwards, might not be any good but sometimes anything is better than nothing and it's just about getting the wheel turning, no matter how slowly. Add music to taste.

flaggwalkstheline
08-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Drink. Simple as that.

I believe the technical term for that is "The Hemingway Solution":rock::P

smcicr
08-28-2009, 02:56 PM
I'm a little less cultured than that, I like to think of it as "The Bukowski Solution" ;)

flaggwalkstheline
08-28-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm a little less cultured than that, I like to think of it as "The Bukowski Solution" ;)

yes that is a better term for the ol' drinking for creativity method

there are after all two hemingway solutions, one of them is the above and the otherinvolves a shotgun:scared:

HA HA

I have no shame

blaine
08-28-2009, 11:48 PM
these help me when i get blocked on whatever i'm working on.

http://www.joshharrison.net/oblique-strategies/

birdandbear
09-02-2009, 11:59 AM
these help me when i get blocked on whatever i'm working on.

http://www.joshharrison.net/oblique-strategies/

we may try to steal these quotes when writing, they're useful :D

woodpryan
05-26-2010, 03:46 PM
the hardest thing for me in writing is opening up Open Office (my word processor) and looking at that blank page. I used to just stare at it for a very long time, trying to think of how i want to say what i want to say. looking at that blank page is the worst man. But once i get started, the words just tend to come. even if they completely suck, i've got to get it out on the page or it will never happen. don't expect to look back at your first draft and have the most awesome thing in the world written there. it's almost impossible. that is what the second draft is for. by the time you finish the third draft is when it should be looking really great. don't get discouraged by the blank page. start writing. and don't get discouraged by a shitty first draft. revise, revise, revise.