PDA

View Full Version : Overlooked, Under-Appreciated or Un-Appreciated Performances

turtlex
05-18-2008, 11:37 AM
I think might be a fun kind of discussion.

I love movies a lot, and I can tell - so do a lot of the folks here at TDT.

Anyone who watches a lot of movies, both good and bad, knows that it's sometimes easy for a good performance to get lost in a bad movie. You can also assume that sometimes, with other excellent performances, someone might get over-looked.

I'd like to use this topic to discuss and recommend overlooked, unappreciated and/or under-appreciated performances.

I'm going to propose two performances to start out this topic.

1. Jeff Bridges in Starman. Like the movie or not, his performance is, to me, a career defining one. It is so nuanced and believable.

2. Ellen Barkin in Switch. Personally, I thought the movie was pretty lacking in the script department, but Ellen Barkin's performance is right on the money and laugh out loud funny for it's execution.

Those are my two "nominations".... what are yours?

Erin
05-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Courtney Love in The People Vs. Larry Flint. I think she's a pretty great actress, when she's not so cracked out she can't function.

RUBE
05-18-2008, 07:26 PM
I think Courtney Love's performance was "under-appreciated" because it is possible that she was just that high herself and didn't need to act.

ZoNeSeeK
05-18-2008, 08:20 PM
Erin: yep - she was great in that, but she was very well cast :D

Mattrick
05-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Overlooked: Mark Ruffalo as Stan in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

His performance is very subtle but excellent, most of his character shows through his voice alone, which is a feat.

Overlooked:

Under-Appreciated: Tom Cruise as David Aames in Vanilla Sky

One of my favourite movies and I thought it really displayed his versatility. I thought David Aames was a great character and Tom portrayed his perfectly. Also think this came out around it was hip to hate on Tom Cruise.

Under-Appreciated: Adam Sandler as Barry Eagin in Punch Drunk Love

I thought his performance was absolultely masterful but the movie nor his performance were very well recieved. I think it's a fantastic movie and a great movie. I'm just glad Reign Over Me turned some heads to his talents.

Un-Appreciated: Sam Niell in 'In The Mouth of Madness'

Why? Most people haven't even heard of this movie. The whole movie is all about Sam Niell and his awesomeness.

turtlex
05-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Excellent points, all.

ZoNeSeeK
05-21-2008, 12:03 AM
Some i can think of:

Allison Janney as Sally Lester in The Hours

Tom Cruise as Frank TJ Mackey in Magnolia (Mattrick I think he was underrated in Vanilla Sky too)

Lara Flynn Boyle as Helen Jordan in Happiness

Jimmy
05-21-2008, 12:26 PM
Both of these guys

YouTube - Garbage Day! (high quality)

Rjeso
05-21-2008, 12:45 PM
:rofl:

Opposite Day! *bang*

turtlex
05-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Tom Cruise as Frank TJ Mackey in Magnolia (Mattrick I think he was underrated in Vanilla Sky too)

I agree with this completely. I thought this performance was very.. I guess brave is the word I'd use. So very "un-cruise"-like.

ZoNeSeeK
05-21-2008, 11:08 PM
Frank T.J. Mackey (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000129/): Respect the cock! And tame the cunt! Tame it! Take it on headfirst with the skills that I will teach you at work and say no! You will not control me! No! You will not take my soul! No! You will not win this game! Because it's a game, guys. You want to think it's not, huh? You want to think it's not? Go back to the schoolyard and you have that crush on big-titted Mary Jane. Respect the cock. You are embedding this thought. I am the one who's in charge. I am the one who says yes! No! Now! Here! Because it's universal, man. It is evolutional. It is anthropological. It is biological. It is animal. We... are... men!

For those of you that haven't seen the movie :)

Mattrick
05-21-2008, 11:13 PM
I want to. It's a Paul Thomas Anderson flick isn't it?

turtlex
05-22-2008, 11:58 AM
It's an outstanding movie - a LOT of great performances in it. Kind of quirky, but really good. Yes, PT Anderson.

LadyHitchhiker
05-22-2008, 02:29 PM
The Man who KNew Too Little

turtlex
05-25-2008, 09:40 AM
I'm going to add another one, because I was reminded of it by a screen grab in another thread, but Kurt Russell in Big Trouble In Little China... what a great, funny, action filled performance.

devo133
05-26-2008, 07:45 PM
not exactly underrated since Frances McDormand won an oscar for this but a great performance from a great actress who's not a house hold name

YouTube - Fargo - Frances McDormand (A Beautiful Day)

ZoNeSeeK
05-26-2008, 10:11 PM
she is awesome ;)

like in Almost Famous - "Don't do DRUGS!"

turtlex
05-27-2008, 04:06 PM
I am in complete agreement on Frances MacDormand. 100%. She rises above crap.... IE Laurel Canyon. The movie was crap, but she was actually very interesting in it.

Almost Famous is one of my favorite movies, so I have to agree there - "Rock stars have kidnapped my son!"

Fargo is a classic and I can't imagine anyone else in the role.

ZoNeSeeK
05-27-2008, 09:33 PM
hehehe :) exactly. She is awesome. Go see Friends with money.

turtlex
05-28-2008, 03:05 PM
I loved Friends With Money!! Catherine Keener, also a favorite of mine!

Telynn
05-28-2008, 08:33 PM
There is an old movie called My Favorite Year. Peter O'Toole plays an Errol Flynn type character that, due to oweing taxes, has to perform on a live comedy show. It is such a good, funny movie. And Peter O'Toole is perfect. One of my favorite quotes comes from him in that movie. "I'm not an actor, I'm a movie star!!!"

Odetta
05-29-2008, 09:06 AM
*tackles Telynn so she can't leave*

Spencer
05-29-2008, 09:19 AM
Jack Nicholson as The Joker. He should have gotten the nomination instead of some left footed guy. <_<

Telynn
05-29-2008, 03:13 PM
*tackles Telynn so she can't leave*

Hey, I've been around. I even posted a special lol for you. Since you like the BIG cats.

turtlex
05-29-2008, 04:45 PM
I agree about Peter O'Toole in My Favorite Year. He owns that movie!!

I can't agree about Nicholson in Batman, though. Sorry. I feel he played it just a little too cheeky. I think Heath Ledger's performance, in the upcoming film, is going to re-define the Joker as the creepy, socio-path that he is.

Telynn
05-29-2008, 07:04 PM

I can't agree about Nicholson in Batman, though. Sorry. I feel he played it just a little too cheeky. I think Heath Ledger's performance, in the upcoming film, is going to re-define the Joker as the creepy, socio-path that he is.

OMG, someone else who has seen that movie. I have never run across anyone who has seen it.

"Hey! This is for ladies only."
"So is this" *ZIP* "But ever now and then I have to run a little water through it."

turtlex
05-30-2008, 05:22 PM
Oh gosh, yes.
I loved it. Thought it was a quintisential performance!

turtlex
09-27-2008, 06:11 PM
Popping this tread back up.

... Just watched James Caan in Thief.

Not sure how many of you all have seen it, but it's an excellent film and he's outstanding in it.

Hbgunslinger
09-27-2008, 07:31 PM
I thought Paul Bettany didn't get enough attention for his acting as Silas in The Da Vinci Code, he was amazing.

turtlex
09-27-2008, 08:02 PM
Personally, I didn't like that movie very much - thought it was VERY overdone and really hated whats-her-name in the lead - but yes, along with Sir Ian, I thought Paul Bettany stole the movie.

cozener
10-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Tom Cruise, because he's such a wacko, is underappreciated as an actor in general.

Brad Pitt...generally underappreciated as an actor if you ask me. I think people get too caught up in his looks.

Michael Keaton...underappreciated as Batman. Also underappreciated in Pacific Heights

Kyle Maclachlan as Paul Atreides in Dune. Whatever problems that movie may have had (and there's a good many) this performance was not one of them. It still amazes me at how much gravitas that kid brought to the role.

Robin Williams in One Hour Photo

Gary Cole as Lumburg in Office Space

On the flipside of this I think a couple of overappreciated actors are DeNiro and Pachino...especially in the last 10 years.

turtlex
10-04-2008, 06:28 AM
Cozener - Wow, we agree on a lot of actors. Hope you'll allow me to comment :

Tom Cruise, because he's such a wacko, is underappreciated as an actor in general. I thought his performance in Magnolia was GREAT, absolutely against type and he pulled it off perfectly. Also, Jerry Maguire was a great performance in a very sappy movie.

Brad Pitt...generally underappreciated as an actor if you ask me. I think people get too caught up in his looks. I agree here, he was VERY good in Fight Club and Se7en. He's had his share of stinkers, but he does have acting chops. I think the director of his films is key.

Michael Keaton...underappreciated as Batman. Also underappreciated in Pacific Heights. Never been a fan of Keaton in anything, on this we defer.

Kyle Maclachlan as Paul Atreides in Dune. Whatever problems that movie may have had (and there's a good many) this performance was not one of them. It still amazes me at how much gravitas that kid brought to the role. Yes, for sure. A very underappreciated performance.

Robin Williams in One Hour Photo. Actually, I like him in just about anything NOT comedy. He's over the top in his comedy roles, but he was excellent in Good Will Hunting, One Hour Photo and though Night Listener was really bad, his performance was outstanding and understated.

Gary Cole as Lumburg in Office Space. Ye-ah

On the flipside of this I think a couple of overappreciated actors are DeNiro and Pachino...especially in the last 10 years.
I completely agree on this. They are amazing actors, but they've got some real crap out there. 88 Minutes was HORRIBLE and DeNiro has made some stinkers. That lovely-dovey movie with Meryl Streep, The Fan, etc.

Heather19
10-04-2008, 06:33 AM
What about James Dean in East of Eden. When you hear his name everyone just immediately thinks of Rebel (which I also think he is amazing in). However I think East of Eden was his best performance. He really nailed that role. Not to mention it was also his first staring role in a film. He couldn't have done any better.

turtlex
10-04-2008, 06:43 AM
Heather19 - That's an exellent point.

I am a huge James Dean fan, and East of Eden is an amazing performance for sure. What a shame and loss that we didn't have him around longer.

gsvec
10-04-2008, 07:40 AM
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but another overlooked performance was Kevin Bacon's portrayal of Henry Young in "Murder In The First". Great movie, too.

turtlex
10-04-2008, 12:16 PM
No, Kevin Bacon in Murder in the First hasn't been mentioned. It's a great performance for sure. Personally, I think Kevin Bacon is a very underappreciated actor. If you saw his performance in the The Woodsman, you will be amazed.

jayson
10-04-2008, 01:08 PM
John Turturro should have won a Best Supporting Actor for his portrayal of Pete in Oh Brother! Where Art Thou?. I think all of the performances in that movie were stellar, and it's a shame it was not recognized for much more than its outstanding soundtrack, but Turturro's performance above all stood out as something special.

Darkthoughts
10-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Brad Pitt...generally underappreciated as an actor if you ask me. I think people get too caught up in his looks.

I think its more to do, as turtlex commented, with the direction he receives - or perhaps he makes poor script choices himself? I liked him in Fight Club, Kalifornia and also in Snatch, other than that...meh...

jayson
10-04-2008, 01:17 PM
I liked him in Fight Club, Kalifornia and also in Snatch, other than that...meh...

I also enjoyed all of those performances, particularly Snatch where I thought Pitt was fantastic. Actually, Pitt's was the only performance I enjoyed in Kalifornia. I thought the rest of the film was terrible, especially Duchovny who emotes only slightly better than Keanu Reeves.

Darkthoughts
10-04-2008, 01:20 PM
:lol: Juliette Lewis wasn't up to par in Kalifornia either, but Pitt was grotesque and all the more brilliant for it.

Snatch was just genius. I live next to a community of travellers and he got that whole accent, demeanour, humour scarily down to a tee!

jayson
10-04-2008, 01:23 PM
The problem with Lewis' performance is that she completely overdid it. I kept hoping Brad Pitt would just kill her and end her screen time.

Snatch is brilliant. It took me many viewings to work out all of what Pitt was saying. Of all of the great performances in that film, I think Pitt's is second only to Alan Ford's ("Do you know what nemesis means?")

Darkthoughts
10-04-2008, 02:09 PM
The problem with Lewis' performance is that she completely overdid it. I kept hoping Brad Pitt would just kill her and end her screen time.
:rofl:

Snatch is brilliant. It took me many viewings to work out all of what Pitt was saying. Of all of the great performances in that film, I think Pitt's is second only to Alan Ford's ("Do you know what nemesis means?")
Alot of the travellers near us have Lancashire accents (sorta Noel and Liam Gallagher type) but there are a few Irish families there, and its not the accent but the fact that they talk so bloody fast :lol:

turtlex
10-04-2008, 07:40 PM
I agree that Juliette Lewis was horrible in Kalifornia. As a matter of fact, with the exception of the Cape Fear remake, she's really not all that impressive an actress to me.

Darkthoughts
10-05-2008, 07:45 AM
I dunno, I can't put my finger on a particular performance, but I have quite a soft spot for her.

turtlex
10-05-2008, 08:26 AM
As silly as it sounds, perhaps it was her performance in Cape Fear? To be honest, she's so vulnerable in that film, it sticks with you.

Darkthoughts
10-05-2008, 09:11 AM
It can't be because (don't tell anyone) I've never seen it :ninja:

jayson
10-05-2008, 09:21 AM
I thought she did a great job in Natural Born Killers as Mallory, but there are very few other performances of hers that I care for.

Plus about ten years ago she came into a coffee shop that my friend was managing and she was a complete and utter bitch so I kinda developed a general distaste for her after that.

sarah
10-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Mike Meyers in So, I Married an Axe Murderer

Jack Black and Colin Hanks in Orange County

turtlex
10-05-2008, 05:05 PM
It can't be because (don't tell anyone) I've never seen it :ninja:

Never seen the remake of Cape Fear? Your secret is safe with me :)

Still Servant
10-10-2008, 01:15 PM
I loved Brad Pitt in 12 Monkey's. Probably one of my favorite Pitt performance.

I loved him in Se7en too. "What's in the Box! What's in the box!"

One of my all time favorite performances in a movie was Angus MacFadyen in Braveheart.

I love almost all of his scenes. In fact, I have one of his monoluges memorized and will often recite it for friends and family members, much to the dismay of my sister:

"Lands, titles, men, power, nothing."

Then his father says, "Nothing?"

"I have nothing. Men fight for me because if they do not, I throw them off my land and I starve their wives and their children. Those men who bled the ground red at Falkirk, they fought for William Wallace, and he fights for something that I never had. And I took it from him, when I betrayed him and I saw it in his face on the battlefield and it's tearing me apart."

Then his father cuts in again, "All men betray. All lose heart."

"I don't wanna lose heart. I wanna believe as he does."

Should have been nominated for an Oscar.

Matt
10-10-2008, 02:14 PM
Juliette Lewis had an amazing role in a movie called The Other Sister.

turtlex
10-10-2008, 07:04 PM
Oh Matt, I was going to use that as an example of how she's usually off !! Oh noooo !! I really disliked that movie, and just about everyone in it, so we're going to have to agree to disagree on that one. :huglove:

I'd like to throw out there, kind of a cheesy film ( though I admit that I liked it alot ) but John Lone in Iceman. That is simply an incredible performance. He plays a caveman who is brought back to life after being frozen. Yes, I know, you have to "let the science go" as they say, and just let the art flow over you. Regardless, I believe his performance is a stand-out and MUCH overlooked.

Seymour_Glass
10-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Keanu Reeves in Thumbsucker. It's the most perfect casting ever.

IWasSentWest
10-13-2008, 06:41 PM
ewan mcgregor and ryan gosling in "stay"....great performances i thought

theBeamisHome
10-14-2008, 05:19 AM

ditto... i love that movie

Woofer
10-15-2008, 11:22 AM

OMG, someone else who has seen that movie. I have never run across anyone who has seen it.

"Hey! This is for ladies only."
"So is this" *ZIP* "But ever now and then I have to run a little water through it."

"A man walks into a bar with a duck on his head."
"No no no. It's a guy, never a man."

turtlex
12-21-2008, 03:26 AM
I just watched The Contender for about the tenth time.

There is nothing in this movie that doesn't work. The performances all around are just outstanding !!!

I don't see how this movie didn't put Joan Allen in the upper echelon of actresses. She is outstanding.

It's also one of the best performances by Gary Oldman that I've ever seen.

I would highly recommend this movie to anyone who hasn't seen it.

turtlex
12-26-2008, 03:00 AM
Another Overlooked, Under-Appreciated or Un-Appreciated Performance - Have any of you all seen American Buffalo?

Wow! What a great movie.

Dustin Hoffman is just GREAT. Dennis Franz just disappears into his character and nails it.

Actually the whole movie is great.

And it's a David Mamet script, so you know it's a cool talker.

I was lucky enough to see Al Pacino perform in the play version of American Buffalo, and to be honest - this film version with Dustin Hoffman playing "Teach" is just as good.

Catch if it you can. It's on IFC and Sundance sometimes.

BROWNINGS CHILDE
12-26-2008, 03:09 AM
I think that Leonardo Dicaprio's performance in Whats Eating Gilbert Grape is often overlooked. I didn't know who he was at the time, and he fell into the role so completey, that I thought that he was genuinely retarded. It really was amazing

sarah
12-27-2008, 04:30 PM
good call browning's childe. I totally agree.

you know I was posting earlier in R_of_G's thread and it got me thinking about Melanie in Jackie Brown. Did she ever get proper props? She rocked that role all around. You know in another life I could totally lay around and get high. :D

Heather19
12-29-2008, 03:09 PM
I don't think anyone's mentioned Joan Fontaine yet. I'm becoming a huge fan of hers. I thought she shined in both Rebecca and Suspicion. Too bad she didn't do more films with Hitchcock.
I also recently watched Jane Eyre with her and Orson Welles. Granted this wasn't the best adaptation of that story, but I thought both were wonderfully cast, and worked very well together.

turtlex
12-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Joan Fontaine - Yes, very under-rated as an actress. I think she definitely got overshadowed by Bette Davis and Katharine Hepburn, etc. The 40's were an era when actresses really excelled.

Rebecca is a classic!

Heather19
12-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Rebecca is a classic!

One of my all time favorite films. It's sad that it doesn't get much recognition. It tends to get overshadowed by his other films.

Sam
12-29-2008, 03:29 PM
Ben Affleck was tha bomb in Phantoms yo!!

Actually I was going to say Ben Affleck's performance in Dogma is one that often gets overlooked. The film is a great one (even better than the holey bartender joke) but I thought I'd add that anyway.

turtlex
12-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Well, 1940 was an impressive year. She did get nominated for Rebecca, though. Tough category though - up against Kate Hepburn, Bette Davis, Ginger Rogers, etc.

Definitely one of the Golden Years of Film.

turtlex
12-29-2008, 03:33 PM
Sam - Ben Affleck in Hollywoodland is an amazing performance, as well. IMHO.

Heather19
12-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Hollywoodland is probably my favorite of his.

I also think I've mentioned this before in numerous threads, but I'll add it here as well
Christian Bale in The Machinist

Sam
12-29-2008, 06:45 PM
You are correct oh wise shell-ed one. I had blocked out Hollywoodland since I really didn't like it at all.

How about Ralph Fiennes in Quiz Show. Boring film but a complex performance.

jayson
12-29-2008, 08:21 PM
How about Ralph Fiennes in Quiz Show. Boring film but a complex performance.

Fiennes was good, but not as good as John Turturro. Turturro was the perfect Herb Stempel. I also thought Rob Morrow was very good in it, but after Northern Exposure, he can do no wrong in my eyes.

And of course it was boring, it was a Redford film. :P

Incidentally, Quiz Show was the movie my wife and I saw on our first date, so it has sentimental value to me even if it's not the greatest movie.

Sam
12-29-2008, 08:43 PM
AAAAAGGGHHHHH!!! I couldn't remember Turturro's fucking name!!! You are absolutely correct. He was GREAT as Stemple.

I know what you mean about the sentimental bit. My wife and I first went out to see Braveheart. Our first date was just as friends, but it began a series of goings out that led to us falling in love. I still love that film, and it sits in my personal top ten for just that reason.

turtlex
12-30-2008, 04:43 AM
OMG !!

I loved Quiz Show !! I've seen it about seven hundred times. I don't think it's boring at all. The only thing that bothers me is Rob Morrow's fake Boston accent ( which he does very poorly ).

Oh, I guess I'm in the minority here - Ordinary People, Quiz Show, A River Runs Through It, The Horse Whisperer. I really enjoyed all of these and thought he did a good job directing them.

jayson
12-30-2008, 06:48 AM
Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't enjoy Redford's films. They are typically very well done, but they are still often quite long and tend to drag a bit. That's not to say in any way that they're bad, especially Ordinary People which is phenomenal, but they could use another pass in the editing suite.

turtlex
12-30-2008, 06:51 AM
I will agree that he does LOVE his cinematography.

Ordinary People is brilliant. Anyone who can make me hate Mary Tyler Moore, now that's directing!

Also, her performance is scary good.

Heather19
01-02-2009, 09:51 AM
I just rewatched the film James Dean the other night, and I have to give a shout out to James Franco for his portrayal of Dean. His is just amazing in this film. So good in fact that almost immediately I completely forgot it was Franco on the screen and not Dean himself. He even got Dean's unusual little mannerisms down, which is actually one of the things I love about Dean. You never quite know how he's going to react. Definitely a very different type of actor from most others. I think it might even get my vote for one of the best performances from an actor ever.

jayson
01-02-2009, 09:54 AM
I just rewatched the film James Dean the other night, and I have to give a shout out to James Franco for his portrayal of Dean. His is just amazing in this film. So good in fact that almost immediately I completely forgot it was Franco on the screen and not Dean himself. He even got Dean's unusual little mannerisms down, which is actually one of the things I love about Dean. You never quite know how he's going to react. Definitely a very different type of actor from most others. I think it might even get my vote for one of the best performances from an actor ever.

Agree completely on this particular performance and Franco in general. He was great in Freaks & Geeks. He was great in the Dean film. He stops being James Franco and starts being his character almost instantly which is something I look for in actors, and not easy to do playing someone as iconic as James Dean.

Heather19
01-02-2009, 10:09 AM
He stops being James Franco and starts being his character almost instantly which is something I look for in actors, and not easy to do playing someone as iconic as James Dean.

No, it's definitely not easy. But coming from a huge James Dean fan, I think he pulls it off brilliantly. I was actually shocked at the time that he didn't win the Oscar for this performance. He really deserved it. But I think the academy has their favorites, and those are the ones that always seem to get the awards.

fernandito
01-02-2009, 10:27 AM
I suspect something similiar is going to happen to Ledger and his performance in The Dark Knight.

obscurejude
01-02-2009, 11:13 AM
I didn't know that Franco did James Dean. I will definitely check that out. Thanks for bringing it to my attention Heather. :thumbsup:

fernandito
01-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Does anyone else think that Franco would have made a much better Peter Parker than Tobey McWhiner?

Heather19
01-02-2009, 11:52 AM
I didn't know that Franco did James Dean. I will definitely check that out. Thanks for bringing it to my attention Heather. :thumbsup:

Excellent. If you're a fan of Dean, then I think you'll love it.

and Feev, I always wished Franco had more screentime in those films

turtlex
08-26-2010, 02:59 AM
Wow. Had to dig deep to find this thread. :D

Just happened to catch Heart Like A Wheel on cable the day before yesterday. It's been years and years since I've seen it and honestly, Bonnie Bedelia's performance in this film is just outstanding.

The movie is kind of dated in it's style ( movie was released in 1983 ) , as compared with today's films, but Bedelia's performance is just outstanding and on the money.

Seymour_Glass
08-26-2010, 06:26 AM
Does anyone else think that Franco would have made a much better Peter Parker than Tobey McWhiner?

Probably.

mystima
08-27-2010, 12:08 AM
I am one of those type of people that if i see a comedian in a serious role, i want them to be serious. I really, really loved Robin Williams in "What Dreams May Come." It was so good of a performance that by the time the movie was over i was bawling.

fernandito
08-27-2010, 09:17 AM
I am one of those type of people that if i see a comedian in a serious role, i want them to be serious. I really, really loved Robin Williams in "What Dreams May Come." It was so good of a performance that by the time the movie was over i was bawling.

Have you seen Jim Carey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind ?

turtlex
08-28-2010, 08:23 AM

Have you seen Jim Carey in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind ?

Two good examples ( though I'm not a big Carey fan ).

Re: Williams, I always think of Good Will Hunting, of course. He was awesome in that. And mega creepy in Insomnia.

candy
08-28-2010, 08:28 AM
i loved robin williams in what dreams may come - its a strange one, because when it starts all i could see wa robin william stand up comic, but he really drew me into his role.:thumbsup:

I loved spotless mind, but i also thought Carrey was excellent in the Trueman show

Heather19
08-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Re: Williams, I always think of Good Will Hunting, of course. He was awesome in that. And mega creepy in Insomnia.

What about One Hour Photo?

And I agree about Jim Carrey. I'm not a fan of his at all, but he was excellent in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

turtlex
08-28-2010, 08:31 AM
OMG, yes. One Hour Photo!! He has definitely moved into an "I Can Sure Play Creepy" kind of place. His guest starring role on Law and Order:SVU was creepy as hell also ( and won him the Emmy for Best Guest Role )

Jean
08-28-2010, 08:43 AM
i loved robin williams in what dreams may come - its a strange one, because when it starts all i could see wa robin william stand up comic, but he really drew me into his role.:thumbsup:
I never post in this thread because I have no idea which performances are underappreciated; but I love Williams in Dead Poets Society

alinda
08-28-2010, 10:34 AM
he's been my favorite actor for many a year.

Mattrick
08-28-2010, 11:36 PM
Too bad he just makes garbage now.

I'm going to say a few, not sure if they have been said or not:

Adam Sandler as Barry Eagan:
- Punch Drunk Love
Tom Cruise as Frank TJ Mackey
- Magnolia
Jeff Daniels as Lewis
- The Lookout
Nicolas Cage as Roy Waller
- Matchstick Men
Jason Lee as Brian
- Vanilla Sky
Ben Affleck as Jim Young
- Boiler Room
Ryan Gosling as Danny Balint
- The Believer

fernandito
08-29-2010, 05:39 AM
Adam Sandler as Barry Eagan:
- Punch Drunk Love

As much as I can't stand Adam Sandler, I have to admit that he was pretty good in that.

- Magnolia

Definitely. One of the best, if not the best performance of that movie.

turtlex
08-29-2010, 07:49 AM
- Magnolia
Ben Affleck as Jim Young
- Boiler Room

Absolutely LOVE Cruise as Mackey. I think it's probably his best performance. When he's sitting there in the interview, and gives that great "..silently judging you line" ... just perfect.

I liked Affleck in Boiler Room, but he's basically just being Alec Baldwin in Glenn Gary.

Mattrick
08-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Maybe Turtlex...but it's still the best 5 minutes of his acting career. Though he appears to be amore than capable directer after seeing Gone Baby Gone. I wonder if his next movie will be decent.

turtlex
08-29-2010, 01:35 PM
I loved Gone Baby Gone and was impressed with his directing, very much so.

Actually, I would say that his performance in Hollywoodland was Affleck's best. And you know, I grew up just outside Boston, and both he and Damon really captured that perfect Guy-In-Boston thing for Good Will Hunting.

Heather19
08-29-2010, 02:01 PM
Hollywoodland always seems to be forgotten about. I think that's my favorite performance by him as well. And I know I've said it before, but I was extremely impressed with his directing and can't wait to see his new one :)

Girlystevedave
10-27-2010, 08:15 PM
Gary Cole as Lumburg in Office Space

I think that Gary Cole pretty much owns any role he does. He's always believable no matter what character he's portraying.

Jack Black and Colin Hanks in Orange County

I love that movie. :wub:

Ewan McGregor is probably my favorite actor. I have never seen him in a movie that I didn't absolutely love his part in. I especially loved A Life Less Ordinary, a movie that never seems to be remembered.
Hell, McGregor was the only thing in the Star Wars prequels that was solid, IMO. :lol:

I really need to see this one. Sad thing is, I don't think I had a good or bad opinion of Franco until I saw Pineapple Express. His acting in that was one of the best I had seen in years. I didn't feel like I was watching a character on a screen, but a real person. :lol:

And the reason I actually came in here to post: I saw the movie Brothers a while back and while I thought it was a pretty good movie, I was unexpectedly blown away by Tobey Maguire in it. I don't know if it was a mixture of the subject matter and his performance, or what. But it made me respect him as an actor. :)

Merlin1958
10-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Pretty appropiate for the time of year, but My man Tim Curry as "Dr, Franknfurter" in the ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW. I'm as straight as an arrow, but I still remember the first time he entered that elevator and the subsequent performance (I'm a 100+ old stoner/viewer from times sq.)!!!

He ate that role with a spoon!!! LOL

"I've been making a man, with blonde hair and a tan, and he's good for relieveing my.....tensions"!!! LOL

Heather19
10-28-2010, 08:03 AM

I really need to see this one. Sad thing is, I don't think I had a good or bad opinion of Franco until I saw Pineapple Express. His acting in that was one of the best I had seen in years. I didn't feel like I was watching a character on a screen, but a real person. :lol:

You have to watch it when you get a chance. It's such a good film. I don't know if you've ever seen any of James Dean's films, but if not then I'd recommend at least watching one beforehand to really appreciate the job that Franco did.

And the reason I actually came in here to post: I saw the movie Brothers a while back and while I thought it was a pretty good movie, I was unexpectedly blown away by Tobey Maguire in it. I don't know if it was a mixture of the subject matter and his performance, or what. But it made me respect him as an actor. :)

I loved Brothers :couple: I thought Tobey did a good job, but it was Jake that I loved in this one. Honestly I was never really a fan of his until this movie.

Girlystevedave
10-28-2010, 09:08 PM
I loved Brothers :couple: I thought Tobey did a good job, but it was Jake that I loved in this one. Honestly I was never really a fan of his until this movie.

I guess Tobey Maguire impressed me because I wasn't even expecting it. :orely:
It was a good movie. So good and believable that I will never watch it again. It's too real. :lol:

fernandito
06-12-2019, 08:18 AM
Scarlett Johansson should have gotten much more love for her performance in Under The Skin.

I watched that recently, and she played that character to perfection.

St. Troy
06-12-2019, 10:37 AM

Why? Most people haven't even heard of this movie. The whole movie is all about Sam Niell and his awesomeness.

Boom - yes!

I loved Brad Pitt in 12 Monkeys.

Just great, manic.

Almost anyone would have; Tobey is brutal.

kingfan2323
06-14-2019, 01:01 AM

Boom - yes!

I loved Brad Pitt in 12 Monkeys.

Just great, manic.

Almost anyone would have; Tobey is brutal.
Wow. Some really great pics!

Toby Maguire (speaking of) and Michael Douglas- Wonder Boys by the late Curtis Hanson! It's about the art of writing too.

Denzel - the late Tony Scott's Man on Fire

Another dead director. Ughh.

RAY Liotta in Narc. Narc is amazing.

seeking: anything DT related #246
Night Shift Anniversary Ed. (blue skull cover)

Mattrick
06-14-2019, 02:26 PM
I'm just going to say Ben Foster in basically anything.

Still Servant
06-14-2019, 04:10 PM
Scarlett Johansson should have gotten much more love for her performance in Under The Skin.

I watched that recently, and she played that character to perfection.

I think that was the year she was just killing it. I think Under the Skin, Her, Don Jon and Lucy all released within a year of each other. I thought she was great in every single one of those, including Lucy, which I liked more than most.