PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica

tippy4
05-17-2008, 09:00 AM
OK, I cannot believe there is not a thread about this show!

Come on people!

Last night's episode was excellent.

Discuss.

Scoogs
05-17-2008, 09:31 AM
http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/showthread.php?t=2708

I still haven't had a chance to watch the last 2 episodes, so I have a little catching up to do before I'll be able to discuss last night's episode.

fernandito
05-17-2008, 12:12 PM
I don't know the first about Battlestar Galactica, but I do know that Tricia Helfer is faahhhh-iiiiiineeee!!

tippy4
05-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Indeed she is.

You should check out the show...great story and great characters.

Old Man Splitfoot
05-18-2008, 03:47 AM
I taped Friday's episode, but haven't taken the time to watch it just yet. I think I read online there won't be an episode next week? That kinda blows.

tippy4
05-18-2008, 10:12 AM
That is correct....two weeks until the next episode. Just like LOST.

Must be sweeps week or something.

razz
05-18-2008, 05:30 PM
i tried watching this. i didn't understand it.

Old Man Splitfoot
05-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Did you start from the beginning, or just jump in with a recent episode? Jumping in won't do you much good. You really gotta start with the mini series, and work your way to the present episodes.

Also, I almost don't mind that there's no Lost or BSG this week. I work the closing shift both Thursday and Friday this week, and don't want to miss the episodes. Of course, knowing my douchebag boss, I'll probably have lame shifts next week, too.

Scoogs
05-27-2008, 06:13 PM
And it's going to be a long hiatus. From what I've read in the articles on the SciFi channel website, it won't be back until 2009.
Seems like they're trying to milk the final season, but waiting until 2009 is also pushing their luck.

Scoogs
05-28-2008, 07:54 PM
I know right after the strike ended they starting filming at least some of the second half because there was some mention of Ron Moore actually directing his first episode of the show and I remember reading that is wasn't likely to air before 2009. I'm looking forward to that episode.

If the 2nd half of the season is as good as the 1st has been so far, it will be worth the wait, but you're right. It will tear a lot of us apart having to wait.

tippy4
05-31-2008, 08:12 AM
Last night's episode was so dissapointing!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I was thinking...I waited two weeks for this?!?!

tippy4
06-13-2008, 10:16 PM
Well two weeks later, and tonight's episode was pretty damn good if you ask me!

The ending was VERY unexpected.

OK, so apparently they are now doing a mid-season break of some sort.

Anyone know when it will be back for the final episodes?

Old Man Splitfoot
06-16-2008, 01:05 AM
I really can not stand long mid-season breaks. They're probably gonna make like season two when it comes to DVDs on this, and that sucks. I was a sucker and bought the two volumes of season two at retail, rather than a cheaper online price, because I didn't want to wait. With Razor, which I really consider to be a part of season two, the whole thing was like $100, twice what it should be.

But, either way, I'll pay it, because I love this show. Even though this season started really kind of weak, and pretty much stayed that way until the mid-season finale, which kicked a ton of ass.

tippy4
06-17-2008, 12:33 PM
I have been so tempted to go out and buy Razor, but I know it will be part of the Season Four DVD pack.

I could not agree with you more...the mid season finale did kick a ton of ass!

mystima
01-24-2009, 10:38 PM
has anyone been watching lately. would like your thoughts on the final cylon and what starbuck really is?

tippy4
02-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Well, I guess that question has been answered.

Ellen Tigh.

I have to be honest, I found the last episode rather confusing.

tippy4
04-05-2009, 09:59 AM
The show has ended.

I found the final episode very bittersweet.

And while there were still a few unanswered questions, I truly feel it was one of the best shows on television.

For me, the remaining "must see" shows are Breaking Bad and Lost. Also like The Office and 30 Rock.

Daffy
04-07-2009, 08:18 AM
Best show on television is over and I feel a big hole where it was at. My wifey and I watched the original miniseries last Summer on a whim and since then had spent all our televsion time we could spare catching up with the series and caught up just in time to see the last shows as they aired.

I must say I watched the original show as a kid and the new Battlestar went far and beyond what the original show was, in fact at first I wasn't sure I even wanted to watch the new show because of a soft place in my heart for the original show. But I must say, this was the best show I have ever seen and any other television show will have to compare to this one from now on in my mind.

We are all Cylons! lol loved the ending!!

Gris
12-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Bleh. I just got myself spoiled. Not spoiled like you spoil a kid, spoiled like no spoiler tag.

A few friends we had over for thanksgiving this year talked about the show and how much they missed it so I downloaded the whole thing. The miniseries, the 4 seasons, the movies, and even the webisodes that aired mid season. My wife and I do this a lot with shows that are good, and have been finished. I'll download it and we'll "powerwatch" the whole thing since there are no new shows for the winter or summer breaks.

Like some others have said, I was hesitant at first because of the memories I had of the original series. But I'm glad we gave it a shot. My wife had never seen the original, so when I said "Wait, Starbuck's a girl?" she didn't get it.

I have to say that I love this show. We're at the end of season 3 now. overall it's been great so far. There were a couple episodes that stood out as bad, but all the rest are really good. The flow is good and they keep you interested so you want to keep watching.

One that stands out as bad what is season 3. There was a disease flying around and several people that should had been given the vaccine still died. The show itself was good, but did not fit the flow of the series or really have anything to do with overall plot.

I can't wait to get to the end of it. Wish I didn't read the "we're all cylons" thing in the previous post :P

Brainslinger
01-06-2010, 09:38 AM
I can't wait to get to the end of it. Wish I didn't read the "we're all cylons" thing in the previous post :P

You might have seen it for yourself by now, but if you haven't, don't worry. It's not quite what it might seem.

Gris
01-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Wife and I finished the series yesterday.

Even though "We're all Cylcons" was a tiny bit of a spoiler, it was not all all what I expected until they actually got to our Earth and I saw Africa. I knew immediately that Hera was going to be "Eve", which I probably wouldn't have understood as quickly without the bit of a spoiler.

Overall, I have to say that it is one of, if not absolutely, the best ending to a TV Series I have ever seen.

The combination of religion, science, and human nature were mixed in a truley impressive way.

If there was anything at all that I was not completely satisfied with, it would have to be Kara. I understand that she was the divining rod that they needed to find earth, but the fact that she was just an apparition since her trip to their Earth kind of bugged me.

Is that really how she existed or did I miss something?

ArtherEld
01-26-2010, 04:51 AM
My girlfriend and I just finished the series on dvd. And we just got the Caprica movie from the library. I hope the show's gonna be good, because we're planning to stay pretty faithful to it this time.

ArtherEld
02-05-2010, 03:38 AM
You know, I had my worries about Caprica but it's turning out to be a really good show. I hope they keep it on.

Mordred Deschain
10-06-2010, 02:53 PM
You know, I had my worries about Caprica but it's turning out to be a really good show. I hope they keep it on.

Actually I'm confused right now. First, I did watch the original series (before syndication) and I understand the war between humans and cylons. And I have watched most of the new Battlestar Galactica mainly the end seasons. so now I am confused with the "creation" of the cylons and how long they've actually been around.

mystima
10-06-2010, 02:57 PM

Actually I'm confused right now. First, I did watch the original series (before syndication) and I understand the war between humans and cylons. And I have watched most of the new Battlestar Galactica mainly the end seasons. so now I am confused with the "creation" of the cylons and how long they've actually been around.

wasn't it said that the Cylons were around for thousands of years and in the series Caprica they were like only 40 years old or so....because the Adama family that they show has a Will Adama who happens to be Bill Adama as a child...it is kinda confusing.

Mordred Deschain
10-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Yes. So supposedly the humans on Caprica (50 years) before Battlestar Galactica create a Cylon. And the Cylon ('s brain) is basically a digital duplicate of the creator's dead daughter. Sooo unless Greystone (or the greystone family) was really a cylon bloodline that came with the 12 colonies instead of going with the 13th colony to "Earth", I do not understand where the link between the thousand year old cylons and the more current cylons comes into play. Because in Battlestar it is explained that even if Humans did create Cylons (1,000s of years ago), Cylons became a seperate species with it's own "dna" so to speak. So how does Greystone create this other species especially when he uses his dead daughters digital duplicate as the AI foundation for the cylon. Oh..I have a headache....

Mattrick
10-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Yes. So supposedly the humans on Caprica (50 years) before Battlestar Galactica create a Cylon. And the Cylon ('s brain) is basically a digital duplicate of the creator's dead daughter. Sooo unless Greystone (or the greystone family) was really a cylon bloodline that came with the 12 colonies instead of going with the 13th colony to "Earth", I do not understand where the link between the thousand year old cylons and the more current cylons comes into play. Because in Battlestar it is explained that even if Humans did create Cylons (1,000s of years ago), Cylons became a seperate species with it's own "dna" so to speak. So how does Greystone create this other species especially when he uses his dead daughters digital duplicate as the AI foundation for the cylon. Oh..I have a headache....

They explain this. 13th colony destroyed itself and the final five resurrected. When they came upon the 12 colonies, they discovered they had made the same mistakes as cobal. They then created the 8 skin job models. All Greystone created was the centurions. The 1,000 year old cylons came into play AFTER the war 40 years prior to BSG.

Mordred Deschain
10-07-2010, 03:21 AM
But it still dosn't make sense. Greystone makes the AI from his dead daughter, but in Battlestar it should not be possible because cylons are a seperate race.

ICry4Oy
11-05-2010, 08:16 AM
So syfy cancelled Caprica but they still air crap like wwe 'rasslin'. What a stupid fucking channel.:shoot:

Erin
11-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Wife and I finished the series yesterday.

Even though "We're all Cylcons" was a tiny bit of a spoiler, it was not all all what I expected until they actually got to our Earth and I saw Africa. I knew immediately that Hera was going to be "Eve", which I probably wouldn't have understood as quickly without the bit of a spoiler.

Overall, I have to say that it is one of, if not absolutely, the best ending to a TV Series I have ever seen.

The combination of religion, science, and human nature were mixed in a truley impressive way.

If there was anything at all that I was not completely satisfied with, it would have to be Kara. I understand that she was the divining rod that they needed to find earth, but the fact that she was just an apparition since her trip to their Earth kind of bugged me.

Is that really how she existed or did I miss something?

This is exactly my thoughts on the finale. Gris' final question was never answered though and I have the same one. Was Kara really just an apparition towards the end?

Mattrick
11-05-2010, 03:14 PM
I love the mystery behind Kara. Explaining it would take away the entire essence of that I think. I like unexplained mysteries :D

mystima
11-06-2010, 10:50 AM
And what was the deal with the hybrids calling her "The Harbinger of Death". didn't she save them all.

plus i found this about the cancellation of the series.

The cancellation comes less than a week after Syfy announced the development of another Battlestar Galactica prequel. Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome will follow a young William Adama fresh out of the academy — and in the 10th year of the first Cylon war

Mattrick
11-07-2010, 12:43 PM
And what was the deal with the hybrids calling her "The Harbinger of Death". didn't she save them all.

I believe the hyrbrid was referring to they cyclons following cavil, as they all died or they were telling her she would lead them all to their end aka she led them to earth, where their cylon conflict ended

Mordred Deschain
11-07-2010, 04:46 PM
Wait what? is that why Caprica wasn't on last Tuesday?! canceled? as much as I'm confused I was still watching...damn it..

mystima
11-07-2010, 04:48 PM
yeah the last few episodes will air in 2011

Mordred Deschain
11-07-2010, 04:53 PM
yeah the last few episodes will air in 2011

2011....what??? Uhhhhhhhh.....

Mordred Deschain
11-09-2010, 02:40 PM
I forgot I have the Darth Vader sig and av...I should have said "NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo... ..*crush beer can with hand*"

mystima
11-09-2010, 07:34 PM
lol.....:P:rofl:

mystima
01-04-2011, 07:45 PM
am not all that thrilled with how this series ended....now I am more confused.

mystima
01-07-2011, 04:45 PM

They explain this. 13th colony destroyed itself and the final five resurrected. When they came upon the 12 colonies, they discovered they had made the same mistakes as cobal. They then created the 8 skin job models. All Greystone created was the centurions. The 1,000 year old cylons came into play AFTER the war 40 years prior to BSG.

from what I saw Greystone actually created resurrection. he was able to create a skin job for daughter.

Mattrick
01-12-2011, 03:30 PM

from what I saw Greystone actually created resurrection. he was able to create a skin job for daughter.

No. Final Five game the cylons ressurrection. You can't ressurrect a human into a machine; ressurrection in BSG doesn't work that way.

OchrisO
01-12-2011, 04:06 PM
And when the final five first discovered Caprica, the cylons only had the metal battle bodies. The organic technology was given to them by the Final Five, who had developed the same sort of technology that recreates a person after they die in a computer form well before them, but had advanced well beyond what the Caprica Cylons had when they were discovered. The war was already happening and the Final Five saw what happened to their world happening again(this has all happened before, it will all happen again) and they gave the cylons the organic technology in an effort to look for a path to peace between the two races, which, of course, went horribly wrong. Greystone never invented anything beyond his battle machines. I haven't watched the final episodes yet, but I think that it was likely the Zoe avatar who progressed the technology to be able to hold the replications. They didn't progress beyond that until the organic tech was given to them by the final five from the failed 13th colony. That is how I understand it anyway.

mystima
01-13-2011, 07:33 PM
In the last episode Greystone resurrected his daughter's AI into a skin job. That is what is confusing to me.

OchrisO
01-13-2011, 09:03 PM
In the last episode Greystone resurrected his daughter's AI into a skin job. That is what is confusing to me.

I am guessing that that was probably just the result of not having time to tell the story properly because of cancellation and having the need to wrap up the story quickly. Cancellations tend to do horrible things to continuity. :\

mystima
01-16-2011, 11:29 AM
Yeah and I wasn't too thrilled with them killing off Willie Adama and then having them "replace" him with another child.just didn't sit well with me.

Mordred Deschain
01-17-2011, 02:18 PM
ya they didn't do a very good job wraping up the end.

Erin
01-25-2011, 09:27 AM
I just started watching Caprica a couple days ago. I'm about 6 episodes in so far. Really digging it!

cozener
02-17-2011, 05:32 AM
I just got through watching the original. I really loved that show. Pound for pound, better that Star Trek and Star Wars put together. BUT...

There's one thing that bothers me...

I don't understand why, after they find "earth" The Adamas decide to never see each other again. It struck me as weird...almost like the writers were trying to add more tragedy and loss where no more was needed. I don't think I could just write my father off like that.

Gris
02-23-2011, 06:09 AM
I think it is because Bill made the choice of who his new life partner would be and wouldn't leave her even after she passed. That and he was tired, aging, and did not want to be on the move to find what they needed to survive and build a new civilization. Just like a good chunk of old folks today... Move to Florida or Arizona to enjoy your remaining years in tranquility, even if it means leaving the family you love very far away.

That said, Wife and I just started Caprica. 1st episode was a wee bit slow getting the plot outlined, but it very quickly picked up in E02. Can't wait to get through it, and can't wait for Blood & Chrome.

It's sad, but TDT was blocked by my government overlords while I was working for the US Army instead of my old/current job. The 7 months of that mistake just happened to encapsulate the BTVSAT competition. Sad to see that my 1 vote could have moved BSG to a clear 2nd place, if not the winner.

IMO, this is the best TV show of all time, if not for the episodes themselves, then for the Finale, which is the best ever in TV history. A bit back I had a post about how I was spoiled because I knew a tiny part of the ending, but nothing prepared me for how powerful it actually was and what it meant.

Brainslinger
02-28-2011, 10:14 AM
I really liked the first part of Caprica. I've seen some negativity in the forums I frequent, but I really liked the series overall. It's a bit slow moving but then again so was BSG. I remember getting a bit bored with the series, but then I caught up with some missing episodes on the web, it flowed better. I think this series actually works a bit better if you watch it at least on a daily basis.

I've yet to see the second part of Caprica. I'm not even sure if it's been shown in the UK yet. (Actually I'd forgotten it even existed. I think I assumed that with the second part never got made.) It's a shame they cancelled it. It was a good series, different from BSG but intriguing in it's own right. That's a good thing, as it's not good to be too repetitive.

I looked at the spoiler where it was mentioned that the daughter was downloaded into a flesh body at the end. I'm really not sure about that, although I've yet to see it obviously. I wonder how it fits with the storyline we know! I suppose we don't know that there wasn't a previous biological cylon (not including the older race from which the Final Five came I mean. I'm just talking about this cycle.) It does make me wonder, where she is in the BSG time period, and how come a human came up with something that took the cyclons decades later? We know from Razor that Adana encountered their first attempts with biological cylons as a youth, and they were rather behind, albeit they created a kind of psychic hybrid of sorts. On the other hand I'm not sure how bright the original centurions were. I assume they were brighter than the later centurions since those ones are essentially subservient to the humanoids.

I look forward to catching up though. Maybe the series makes it a bit clearer.

I'm looking forward to Blood and Chrome too. The backflash sequences in Razor were very enjoyable.

mystima
11-09-2012, 01:21 PM
Blood and Chrome news!!! (http://collider.com/battlestar-galactica-blood-and-chrome-review/209739/#more-209739)

tippy4
11-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Oh baby!

Love that Bear McCreary theme music!

needfulthings
11-10-2012, 09:27 AM
http://imageshack.us/a/img831/4955/img981.jpg

ICry4Oy
02-10-2013, 09:06 AM
Hubby & I cozied up to some Battlestar folks yesterday!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8233/8461140835_d933312c4f.jpg

tippy4
02-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Awesome.

Where?

Anyone watch Blood and Chrome last night?

Scoogs
02-11-2013, 09:07 PM
SyFy has had Blood & Chrome available on Youtube in HD for a while, so I watched it over the holidays.

I love BSG, it might be my current all time favorite show. I even liked Caprica once things picked up in the second half of the season, but I'd only give Blood & Chrome 3 out of 5 stars.
It was good enough, but I thought it was very standard blow stuff up scifi. I like that as much as anyone else, but it's not why I watch BSG.
BSG and Caprica were different and tried something new, this was really just more of the same with a lot of filler. (I think that still places it far above The Plan.)

Could it be turned into an interesting series? Possibly, but I'd still like to see a pair of movies like this bridging Caprica with Blood & Chrome. (One to cover the colonial civil war when the humans first use Cylons in combat and one to cover the outbreak of the Cylon revolt.)

I'll watch it again once I get the blu-ray and see if my opinion changes at all.

DoctorDodge
02-12-2013, 02:37 AM
Damn, I still need to watch the final eps of BSG. I think, after I'm done with the current season of Who I'm on, I'll finally get round to watching those final eps.

ICry4Oy
02-13-2013, 09:54 AM
Awesome.

Where?

At the Sci Fi Expo in Dallas!

tippy4
02-14-2013, 04:32 PM
Damn, I still need to watch the final eps of BSG. I think, after I'm done with the current season of Who I'm on, I'll finally get round to watching those final eps.

All due respect to Dr. Who....but compared to BSG, it is a flaming turd.

I like Dr. Who...don't get me wrong, but BSG was a 9 out of 10 where DW is a 7 out of 10.

DoctorDodge
02-15-2013, 01:07 AM
Shouldn't even be compared. As a scifi show, Doctor Who pretty much sucks, as it's hardly ever been remotely believable in its science. At best, it's science fantasy that's closer to Star Wars (the original trilogy that was actually fun to watch, I mean) than the new BSG, which is a very focused, epic story that not only explores the idea of how humanity would survive after an apocalypse (albeit one with spaceships) but carefully examines the political and philosophical sides of it while including some very character driven stories.

With Who, it has a monster of the week formula to it pretty much every week these days. However, what makes it one of my favourite shows ever isn't just the fact that, long term, it takes a look at one man who evolves and changes over the centuries, both mentally and physically, and seeing how he affects the people he travels with (even in the classic series, while there's been a fair few annoying companions who don't change at all, there are plenty who clearly grow when travelling with the Doctor), not only has it, at its best, explored themes of depression, war, love etc in so many of its stories, but the key thing that makes it different to BSG: it's fun. Yes, BSG has some seriously kickass battles, but that's not what I'm referring to. Doctor Who is one of the few truly great tv and even film experiences that a whole family can sit down and enjoy. I've been watching it for over a decade and a half now, and it's lost none of the magic it had for me when watching it the first time.

In short, BSG is a modern-day scifi masterpiece, and I'm very keen on finishing the series soon. Doctor Who belongs in the category of family-friendly awesomeness along with Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Harry Potter.

DoctorDodge
03-17-2013, 03:57 PM
Just watched a few more eps of BSG. Now I only have 7 more eps to watch. :( This is why I don't try to watch it often, with months in between seasons at least, if I can help it - it's one of the few shows I don't want to end. Ah well. Anyway, watched A Disquiet Follows My Soul, The Oath and Blood on the Scales. Bloody hell, that was some intense viewing. Loved that even with a pretty major plot point of the entire series resolved, the show still continues to give us more of the same incredibly intense viewing that was so great about the best episodes of the series. Actually perfect that I watched all 3 in one go - it was a nice combination of build-up, escalating conflict and then finally an epic climax worthy of a season finale. Cracking stuff.

Ka-mai
03-18-2013, 06:08 PM
Just finished the first season. :panic:

My only gripe is I HATE babies and/or pregnancy as plot (I believe SK has said the same thing). It's just so contrived and boring and you always have the dramatic labor scene and I hate all of it. I would like them delivered by stork. :P

Adama better be alive.

DoctorDodge
03-19-2013, 04:33 AM
Isn't that finale amazing, Sarah? Truly cracking stuff. Oh, and thank you for reminding me how awesome this show is - now I only have 7 eps left to watch! :pullhair: Oh well. I spose I was gonna reach the ending sooner or later. Still trying to delay watching that ending though for as long as I can.

Ka-mai
04-01-2013, 07:00 PM
2.16 Sacrifice:
I'm sad Billy's dead, and also that he got his heart broken before he died. :( Poor Billy. However, I am still not entirely convinced he wasn't a Cylon. I have to restrain myself from checking IMDB to see if he comes back later.

I'm also getting really pissed about how all the young people are in love with three people at a time. Get a grip and pick one, or don't pick one and get some cats. Especially Starbuck, she was way cooler before she started moping and drinking and acting like a freak. I hate how they had a strong female character and made her get all messed up over a boy. She should be all, "I'm stealing a ship and rescuing them and you can't stop me!" Not "He's totally dead even though I have no way of knowing if that's true or not! Waaah! Wait, now I love Lee! Wait, now I'm not over pyramid boy! Now Lee again!" :doh:

Where is Baltar? I miss him. I also want to know why he's not testing blood samples, or making someone do it. Everyone just pretends it doesn't exist and then throws in some line about "aren't you done yet?" I feel like they shouldn't have introduced it as a plot point if they were going to ignore it to draw out suspense.

I just realized in this universe there may be no more cats. That's upsetting.

mystima
04-02-2013, 06:34 PM
I just realized in this universe there may be no more cats. That's upsetting.

I will give you this...there are cats.

Ka-mai
04-03-2013, 08:02 PM
:lol: Thanks!

Just finished season 2... holy crap! I really do think they hit me with too much stuff at once and I got overwhelmed. Why hasn't anyone assassinated Baltar yet? Pretty much my favorite part was watching Laura go around with her "I told you so" face on the entire time. She didn't even seem fazed when the Cylons came, just "yep, knew that would happen." I'm kind of disappointed she and Adama haven't had sex yet. We all know it's coming.

DoctorDodge
04-04-2013, 02:38 PM
How I envy you. Watching the first of the 3 part finale right now. :(

DoctorDodge
04-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Just finished it. A very, very satisfying conclusion, imo. Got almost as emotional over it as the endings to Life on Mars and Broken Saints, and that is saying something. A little long in some places, but I think it had earned it. Had the right mix of impact for both story and emotion, something that is very tricky to get right with some shows. Even better, it's a show I won't mind at all rewatching at some point. Awesome stuff.

Ka-mai
04-06-2013, 06:49 PM
HOLY CRAP. THEY KILLED ELLEN.
:panic:
I had to watch it twice to make sure. :lol: I didn't like her at all, but I'm kind of sad to see her go anyway.

I knew Casey wasn't Kara's.

mystima
04-07-2013, 12:39 PM
some of the things I liked about this show was how they threw stereotypes out the window. The best pilot was a woman. A lot of the original fans weren't to happy with that, plus did yall notice that Six was taller that Baltar

Ka-mai
04-07-2013, 02:42 PM
YES. I kind of love Six being taller. And she still wears heels and looks fabulous. :P I believe Boomer also used to be a man on the original series. And there's Ellen, who's older than 35 yet still has men falling all over her, instead of having her play a grandma like they probably would have done 20 years ago.

Yet another example of sci-fi being more progressive on women's roles. :)

DoctorDodge
04-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Absolutely, in fact the show seemed to be great at fucking with your expectations in general. It's why I loved the episode Downloaded:

Revealing that Head Six and Caprica Six were completely different was a stroke of genius - even better than that was Caprica Six seeing Head Baltar. It was just such a shock to find out that, contrary to what we'd been lead to expect, the cylon that Baltar dated shagged on a regular basis with wasn't some high-up, highly confident, borderline dominatrix of a woman - she was just a cylon who had done her duty.

Not only that, but I thought it was an excellent use of allegory that much of the best scifi do so well, here on a more intimate level: that often, the woman or man you're completely in love with can be completely different to the idealised version you choose to see them as. That was a great bit of storytelling that I really appreciated.

Fuck, I've barely finished this show and I'm already itching to watch it again. Well, I think I should watch The Plan first, anyway, possibly Blood & Chrome before commencing on a rewatch just yet.

mystima
04-07-2013, 03:11 PM
one part of the final episodes that i liked was them rescuing Hera and both Baltar and Six seeing the *avatars* and saying at the same time "You can see them?"

The plan was awesome....did you also watch Razor? I liked the ideas behind both.

DoctorDodge
04-07-2013, 03:21 PM
one part of the final episodes that i liked was them rescuing Hera and both Baltar and Six seeing the *avatars* and saying at the same time "You can see them?"

YES. Absolutely adored that moment.

Really loved the journey of not just the relationship between the two since the mini-series but also of Baltar himself, especially when he finally did a selfless act in the final episode. Amazing stuff.

The plan was awesome....did you also watch Razor? I liked the ideas behind both.

I've seen Razor, that was good stuff. Really liked how it went into even further backstory and foreshadowing for season 4.

Scoogs
04-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Loved the series, but hated The Plan.
It really felt contrived, added nothing to the show, and IMO actually cheapened parts of the series.

If I could do it all over again, I would skip it.

DoctorDodge
04-08-2013, 01:32 AM
That's the thing that's made me a little divided about The Plan: the reaction seems to be either that it's a great addition for the BSG universe that allows a new spin on events in the series and gives us a better idea of the Cylon perspective, or that it's completely unnecessary filler.

I think I will ultimately watch it, though. Here's the thing: that last line of the old intro of "And they have a plan..." was a hell of a great hook, but you never really had an idea of what that plan was. At least, you never got an idea of what exactly the Cylons had planned. I'd like to think it was something more sophisticated than:

A) Blow the shit out of humanity.

B) Chase the survivors around the universe

C) Conveniently have a few models with the survivors on the ships to cause some MAJOR shit when possible

It may not be entirely satisfying, but still, since I am done with the series, it'll be worth one watch at least before re-watching the series already.

mystima
04-08-2013, 06:43 PM
In my opinion it gave a look into the mind of the "minion" cylons aka the ones that were told what to do and what they did to carry out "The Plan"

Ka-mai
04-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Watching 3.8 Unfinished Business. I am completely in love with Starbuck (when she's being awesome and not mopey), Hot Dog, Gaeta, Baltar, Chief, Laura and Bill.

Laura is freaking fantastic as a strong female character who still acts "feminine" and doesn't posture. Perfect. Also I totally called her and Bill boning in the first episode. :lol: Their first power play said it all.

Holy crap they ripped off the Titanic, dance AND music. I feel like someone should be suing them for it.

tippy4
04-12-2013, 03:14 PM
Unfinished Business is an amazing episode.

Between the flashbacks and final scene...I would say one of the top ten best episodes of the series.

Fuck I miss that show.....the music, the writing, the story, the acting....it was all so good.

Ka-mai
04-14-2013, 12:24 PM
I'm getting a little frustrated with how the show feels the need to tackle every "real world" issue they can think of, episode by episode. I would really rather have plot than the writer's commentary on the state of things. I know mining work sucks, I don't need it to infiltrate my leisure time. So far we've had marital fidelity and commitment, racism, class divisions, religion, politics, law... just get to Earth and reveal the final five, already! I don't have a problem with these issues appearing on a small scale, but this is like half a season now.

DoctorDodge
04-14-2013, 12:42 PM
I don't mind allegory in BSG, in fact sometimes it was its biggest appeal for me - it reminded me of old school scifi like Star Trek and of course The Twilight Zone. But there were definitely times when it felt like the writers were hammering the point home a little too much. The abortion storyline was the most offputting for me in season 2, it was just far, far too fucking obvious.

And yes, you're right, there are times when it's padded out too much. It's why I'm not a fan of watching American network shows, at least on a week by week basis, anyway - there are some great ones that want to focus on one story overall, but sometimes, with 20 eps a season and with shows that are meant to run for a few years, there can tend to be a little too much filler. Which isn't a bad thing, so long as the filler stands up on its own perfectly, but like I said, with a show that's supposed to have an ongoing story, it can still remain a frustrating experience.

needfulthings
04-14-2013, 01:08 PM
1st EDITION 1978
http://imageshack.us/a/img819/9118/img357z.jpghttp://imageshack.us/a/img560/816/img358n.jpg

Coulrophobia
04-14-2013, 01:21 PM
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6097/6341319345_bea4e107be_z.jpg

Frazetta!!! I remember the magazine ads.

needfulthings
04-14-2013, 01:47 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img24/2475/img359sd.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img11/6193/img364fq.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img835/670/img365t.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img845/1109/img369d.jpg

Coulrophobia
04-14-2013, 02:05 PM
That is the ones!! You are amazing Needful.

needfulthings
04-14-2013, 02:08 PM
AND YOU THINK YOU ARE A FAN?
http://imageshack.us/a/img803/5006/img372a.jpg

Coulrophobia
04-14-2013, 02:16 PM
I remember when I lived in Vegas women killing themselves hearing Elvis died.

Tape recording? What year was the show cancelled?

needfulthings
04-14-2013, 02:24 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img839/5239/img374k.jpg

Scoogs
04-14-2013, 02:27 PM
The original aired in 1978 and was followed by the horrible sequel series Galactica 1980.
I watched reruns of the original a lot as a kid since I was in diapers for original airing.

needfulthings
04-14-2013, 02:28 PM
I remember when I lived in Vegas women killing themselves hearing Elvis died.

Tape recording? What year was the show cancelled?

LITTLE DID HE KNOW

http://imageshack.us/a/img607/9014/img377l.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img203/5057/img375b.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img854/3913/img376w.jpg

Scoogs
04-14-2013, 02:30 PM
Ralph McQuarrie was the concept artist for a lot of the visual elements in the original series.
He also did a lot of NASA's Apollo animations for the news networks and then went on to do to the design, matte paintings, etc. for a few obscure films by some guys named Lucas and Spielberg.

That probably explains why Lucas sued the creators of BSG.

needfulthings
04-14-2013, 02:57 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img15/7533/img356o.jpg

Coulrophobia
04-14-2013, 02:59 PM
Original book cover art? Very Nice.

http://imageshack.us/a/img15/7533/img356o.jpg

needfulthings
04-14-2013, 03:31 PM
No 1 of 23 McQuarrie art inserts from the AUG 30 1977 SPECIAL RUN GALACTICA Saga of a Star World script. My understanding only 50 were run.
SPECIAL RUN cover
rhttp://imageshack.us/a/img839/1858/img378.jpg

11/3/1977 run cover (no inserts)
http://imageshack.us/a/img803/2320/img380g.jpg

needfulthings
04-14-2013, 04:23 PM
1st EDITION BERKLEY BOOK SEPT 1978.
http://imageshack.us/a/img571/6283/img382k.jpg

1st EDITION EDUCATION READERS SERVICE SEPT 1978
http://imageshack.us/a/img405/1138/img384c.jpg

1st EDITION BERKLEY PERMA-BOUND SEPT 1978
http://imageshack.us/a/img132/8238/img386w.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img94/5848/img385g.jpg

Coulrophobia
04-14-2013, 04:48 PM
I remember owning/reading one of those.

Scoogs
04-14-2013, 06:05 PM
This is all from your collection? Is there anything you don't have?
Is it safe to assume you have the BSG sequel books that Richard Hatch wrote?

Ka-mai
04-14-2013, 06:32 PM
3.16. Starbuck just died. Maybe. I'm resisting looking up if she comes back. Uuuuugh.

needfulthings
04-14-2013, 08:40 PM
This is all from your collection? Is there anything you don't have?
Is it safe to assume you have the BSG sequel books that Richard Hatch wrote?
YES & NO.... STOP COLLECTING IN 1996

needfulthings
04-14-2013, 09:10 PM
U.K. 1st EDITION 1978
http://imageshack.us/a/img20/3315/img393t.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img341/3678/img394n.jpg

FRENCH 1st EDITION 1979
http://imageshack.us/a/img843/2797/img395a.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img706/1521/img396v.jpg

Ka-mai
04-15-2013, 06:12 PM
I love that cats and Badger from Firefly both survived the Cylon attack. :lol:

Ka-mai
04-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Season 3 finale: I am really missing Starbuck. I hope she resurrects soon.

"The whole fleet knows this man tried to stab me through the neck... and you missed, butterfingers!" :rofl: Favorite line.

I hope the phantom music goes somewhere, because right now it reminds me of an Are You Afraid of the Dark? episode. :lol:

Ka-mai
04-17-2013, 05:28 PM
WHAT THE FUCK.

I can't even handle that episode. I just can't.

I knew Starbuck was coming back! I knew it! Muahahaha. I love her.

I am kind of freaked out by the four. Are they really Cylons? :panic: Who's the last one? Do Cylons age? Because Adama has known Tigh for years.

Scoogs
04-17-2013, 06:20 PM
I love that cliffhanger.
Actually, I love all of the BSG cliffhangers. That was something the show really excelled at.
The mid-season cliffhanger in season 4 is almost as much fun as the end of season 3.

Season 1 is still my favorite though. I think that's the only time I've actully jumped up out of my chair while watching TV.

tippy4
04-17-2013, 07:27 PM
WHAT THE FUCK.

I can't even handle that episode. I just can't.

I knew Starbuck was coming back! I knew it! Muahahaha. I love her.

I am kind of freaked out by the four. Are they really Cylons? :panic: Who's the last one? Do Cylons age? Because Adama has known Tigh for years.
Ahhhh good stuff!

Never realized it was Hendrix's All Along The Watchtower until that episode.

You need to wait a few weeks before you jump into the final season....let the suspense build.

mystima
04-17-2013, 10:33 PM
Ralph McQuarrie was the concept artist for a lot of the visual elements in the original series.
He also did a lot of NASA's Apollo animations for the news networks and then went on to do to the design, matte paintings, etc. for a few obscure films by some guys named Lucas and Spielberg.

That probably explains why Lucas sued the creators of BSG.

That explains why the viper looks like the x-wing fighters....lol

Ka-mai
04-18-2013, 03:54 AM
Ha, glad I'm not the only one who thought that about the Vipers.

We are so not waiting to start the next season. :lol: We are impatient people. Probably get an episode in tonight.

I didn't realize it was Hendrix either (and wow, was that weird... I don't really feel like it fits) at first I was thinking the Beatles in their sitar days and then I thought the Rolling Stones... yeah, that's how much I know about music from that era. :P Don't judge me. Even when they said "there must be some kind of way out of here" I thought it was just one of the writers slipping in a tribute, not the actual song. But yeah, still trying to figure out why they put that song in. It's kind of bothering me.

I'll bet the Cylons are going to be pretty embarrassed when they find out they ripped out one of the final fives' eye.

DoctorDodge
04-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Oh, give it a little more time! That's one of the best cliffhangers I've ever seen! Let it rest for a bit, just for a bit, I'd say. Get a chance to breathe before rushing into 4. :lol:

Scoogs
04-18-2013, 05:41 PM
Actually it's a Bob Dylan song, though even he considers Hendrix's cover the definitive version.
Haven't watced it in a while, but I think a few more of the lyrics show up in a conversation between Adama and Tigh earlier in that episode.

Ka-mai
04-20-2013, 12:44 PM
I know this is interesting for some people, and might even be for me in different circumstances, but the politics parts are boring the shit out of me. Every time Lee or Zarek or Roslin starts talking I just want to throw something at them and make them go fight Cylons. We are SO CLOSE to Earth and it's all "here's what I think about your policy draft!" ><

Give me more Starbuck (cool Starbuck, not whiny Starbuck) and Baltar, Baltar, Baltar.

4.3Matt was freaking thrilled when Callie went out the airlock, she's a terrible actress. :lol: We're kind of surprised it took them this long to dispose of her.

Ka-mai
04-21-2013, 02:26 PM
FINALLY some good action. We were getting kind of frustrated there. I think perhaps this series could have been 3 seasons without losing too much. That said, a lot of it is amazing. Matt was sure that Roslin was the final Cylon, so when Deanna pulled that joke we totally fell for it.

Question, if it isn't a spoiler: What are the hybrids? Half Cylon, half what? Or two non-Cylon halves?

DoctorDodge
04-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Regarding the joke:

Laughed my arse off at that moment. You honestly thought that the writers had pulled another shock for a second, but then you find out they actually still have a sense of humour. Brilliant moment.

Ka-mai
04-23-2013, 12:58 PM
4.10:

Okay, so Deanna says the final four will join her on the ship, then Tori suddenly "needs" to see the president, and NOBODY gets it?! :lol:

I hope Felix stops whining and looking sad about his leg. You have space flight and created sentient robots, you can come up with a decent prosthetic!

As for the end: Well, shit. :lol:

Ka-mai
04-23-2013, 06:44 PM
WHAT THE FUCK, D?!

SERIOUSLY, IT'S ELLEN?!

I thought it was everyone from Callie to Gaeta to Billy to D to Starbuck to Adama to Roslin to Baltar. Never Ellen.

Scoogs
04-23-2013, 07:13 PM
You're moving through the season pretty quickly.
Did you watch Razor already?

I was sad to see D go, especially like that.

Ellen was a good choice for that reason. In the earlier seasons the audience thought she might be a Cylon and by the time the show writers decided that she actually was one, everyone had sort of forgotten about her.
Puts Tigh in an awkward position now, doesn't it? :lol:

Ka-mai
04-24-2013, 02:44 AM
I didn't watch Razor, is it any good? Pretty sure it's on Amazon so I might get to it eventually.

The funny thing is, when they introduced Ellen I thought they'd do something huge with her, but while she was part of the plot, nothing really amazing came forward. Until now! *dun dun duuuun* :P

DoctorDodge
04-24-2013, 02:58 AM
The funny thing is, when they introduced Ellen I thought they'd do something huge with her, but while she was part of the plot, nothing really amazing came forward. Until now! *dun dun duuuun* :P

What I really love is how it was so strongly hinted - in her first ep, no less - that she's a Cylon by Baltar at the end, but then as you said, everyone seemed to forget about her. Killing her off in the third season was a stroke of genius, imo - a great way of ruling her out in our heads even with the resurrection ability clearly established. That's just fantastic writing right there.

Ka-mai
04-24-2013, 07:10 PM
I'm still pretty pissed that these guys created Cylons and faster-than-light space travel, yet Tigh is going around with a crappy-looking eye patch and Gaeta gets a stick with a boot on the end. >< Yeah, it motivates them to get all angsty and move the plot, but it doesn't seem realistic at all to me. Tigh should have some sort of implant that gives him 20/20 vision and Gaeta should have a super robot leg with a skinlike exterior.

Yes, my show about robots fighting humans on other planets and trying to find Earth needs to be realistic. :P

Scoogs
04-24-2013, 07:32 PM
Razor is loosely considered the first two episodes of Season 4, but not crucial to watch in that order.
Since you're already mid season, I'd say watch it sooner rather than later.

What you should watch before going any further are the Face of the Enemy webisodes. Those will play into the next two episodes and provide a little bit of background.

Scoogs
04-24-2013, 07:40 PM
I'm still pretty pissed that these guys created Cylons and faster-than-light space travel, yet Tigh is going around with a crappy-looking eye patch and Gaeta gets a stick with a boot on the end. >< Yeah, it motivates them to get all angsty and move the plot, but it doesn't seem realistic at all to me. Tigh should have some sort of implant that gives him 20/20 vision and Gaeta should have a super robot leg with a skinlike exterior.

Yes, my show about robots fighting humans on other planets and trying to find Earth needs to be realistic. :P

They didn't actually create FTL.( I'd comment on some specific dialog, but you aren't to that episode yet.)
Still, you're right about Gaeta's leg. Adama doesn't even want networks on his ship, how would he react to robotic legs!?

Mattrick
04-25-2013, 01:03 AM
Ka-Mai, do you forget the fact they are fleeing across uncharted space and as numerous epsidoes revealed, resources are severely lacking...I highly think two soldiers who no longer see combat (or in Gaeta's case ever did) and mostly chill in the CIC would be in dire need of amazing prosthetic and synthetic cyborg like body parts when those materials would go towards you know, the Vipers and Raptors and Colonial One and The Battlestar before their eyeballs. Also, Saul Tigh's eyepatch is the most ballin' accessory in television history...I find myself hating him the first two seasons because he has two eyes when I rewatch it!

Face of the Enemy webisodes > The Resistance webisodes. And I love The Plan and everything, but why did Edward James Olmos give us a shower scene and for the first time after 4 entire seasons we get to see a couple of titties then, the camera pans away in the shower room and he bombards the audience with no less than three floppy penises before transitioning to the next scene, get a better editer Adama! A future with free to flop in public penises is not a future I want to think could exists. No I'm not having a double standard...men's chests are often openly displayed for women to see even on heavily censored network television, so when I'm I'm fortunate enough to see a titty I have to say, penis is not what I want to see next in a movie. Chests and crotches - two totally different things! Wish I could remember more of The Plan, but my mind is traumatized by the unnecessary penises shown for 1/2 a second. I know I went on a bit of a penis rant here, but you read it, so who's really in bad taste here? You could have stopped reading this paragraph at the first mention of penis yet here you are, at the end of the paragraph, after more penis's references. For shame.

tippy4
04-25-2013, 04:11 PM
4.10:

I hope Felix stops whining and looking sad about his leg.

Um hello..he's crippled now...and has to see the asshole who shot him everyday......and that guy is a cylon...I think that gives him the right to whine

Ka-mai
04-27-2013, 08:43 AM
Oh, Gaeta. You made poor choices. :( I'm glad Zarek's gone, though.

I was happy when Ellen came back until she got to Galactica, now I hate her again. <_<

Ka-mai
04-27-2013, 08:52 AM
OH, and another thing about Ellen....

Why is she so upset Saul was having sex with Caprica? "Oh, she's our child!" Yeah, well, so was Cavil, who by the way looks like your dead father. :beat: I'm still pretty skeezed out by that revelation. There wasn't at least another Cylon model she could have had sex with for information? I know Cavil's kind of in charge, but it seems like most of the other models have gone behind his back at least once, so she probably could have had sex with someone else and achieved similar results. And yeah, maybe she didn't remember that she was a Cylon and created him, but she should at least have some sort of memory about what her own father looked like, and hey, this guy looks kind of exactly like him. That's not weird or suspicious in any way.

Scoogs
04-27-2013, 02:49 PM
The mutiny was such a great story arc. It was a shame to see Gaeta go that way, but made for a couple of great episodes. Zarek was really one of those characters that you love to hate.

I agree, the child argument didn't hold up all that well for me. I get that she's upset he's having a child with someone else when they never had their own, but Saul didn't even know he was a Cylon when he was initially with Six.
Cavil wiped their memories when he downloaded them into these bodies, so I don't think Ellen would have had any recognition of Cavil. Would it be there on some base genetic level? Who knows, but we are talking about custom engineered clones, so Cavil could have removed even that. Ultimately, he brought them back for his own perverse entertainment.

It's kind of weird when you think about it. This really isn't the same Ellen that we knew up until New Caprica, but it takes a few episodes for the different versions to mesh together. I personally think she becomes a lot more tolerable/likeable over the remaining episodes.

There's a great cut scene from the hospital when the final five all gather for the first time.
Apollo and everyone are sort of staring at them like they're waiting for something to happen. Ellen looks at them and says "what did you think we were all going to shoot magic fire out of our asses?"

Ka-mai
04-27-2013, 03:07 PM
:lol: Nice. It's true, they all show up and... nothing. They sit around bickering for a while.

Boomer is the worst person ever and I hope she dies a terrible death. I don't care about all this "oh, but I really love Galen and I have this beautiful fantasy for us and I really do come to love Hera despite what I did..." No, you raped Helo, mentally destroyed Athena, and stole their daughter. You can die. Die die die. :stabbing motions:

So we're down to the final 3 episodes. :panic: I really hope they go somewhere good with all these things going on.

tippy4
04-28-2013, 07:44 AM
Oh, Gaeta. You made poor choices. :( I'm glad Zarek's gone, though.

Loved when Laura threatens them from the Base Star.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzMKrx9HHtU

Ka-mai
04-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Finished today. I liked it. Less people died than I thought, we were pretty sure Hot Dog (or as we call him, Hawt Dawg :lol:), Helo, Athena, and Bill were all goners. I loved when Galen just fucked over all the Cylons by strangling Tori. :lol: "Uh, yeah, let's just all forgive each other for anything we see during this..." Nice try, bitch.

I thought they belabored the point at the end with all the little robots and Baltar and Six adding commentary, but overall it was good. I can't imagine giving up space flight to live off the land. I'd probably be clinging to the Centurions' base ship begging for a ride. :P

tippy4
04-28-2013, 04:45 PM
Now that you have finished, you can watch this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuoVwA7AsFI

Ka-mai
04-28-2013, 06:12 PM
:rofl: Oh my God, that totally nails it. The more I think about it, the more unanswered questions I have. What was Kara Thrace? "Angel" is not an acceptable answer. Why did they call her the harbinger of death? Yeah, there was a showdown in the CIC, but Galen caused it, not her. Why are Invisible Baltar and Six still around in the present day? Why did seriously everyone just decide to go off on their own and claim their own island - doesn't anyone get lonely? Why did Cavil suddenly decide to just shoot himself in the head after years of scheming and threatening and manipulating? Could he seriously not think of anything else to do? And seriously, what WAS with the opera house? It seemed significant and then they were all just like "oh, yeah, the stage is the CIC and the halls are Galactica. Yep."

Also I seriously wanted to punch Hera in the face for not SITTING FUCKING STILL FOR FIVE SECONDS. :lol:

I do feel like they kept putting in plot points that sounded significant, but went nowhere. Like Six and Baltar were supposed to have a baby, and then suddenly it's actually Sharon's baby because we can't have two pregnancies at once, or something. Then Six gets pregnant and they make this big deal about how love made it possible, and the baby dies anyway... which didn't make sense because the Cylons have been in love and not had kids before, so that theory is completely invalid. And we have this Cylon goo that's going to save Galactica, but doesn't. A dying leader takes you to Earth but doesn't get to see it herself... only she stops dying and does get to see it, so what does that do to the prophecy? Even on second Earth, she is dying but she at least gets to enjoy it a little first.

needfulthings
04-28-2013, 08:46 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img829/4126/img419z.jpg
The DEATH of BALTAR

DoctorDodge
04-29-2013, 01:05 AM
"Angel" is not an acceptable answer.

:lol: Every time I hear an answer like this - or have one that's very strongly implied in a tv show - I automatically think of this (SPOILERS for Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse, btw):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JefiIqJkN2g

Ka-mai
04-29-2013, 05:18 AM
:lol: Indeed.

Scoogs
04-29-2013, 06:38 PM
:rofl: Oh my God, that totally nails it. The more I think about it, the more unanswered questions I have. What was Kara Thrace? "Angel" is not an acceptable answer. Why did they call her the harbinger of death? Yeah, there was a showdown in the CIC, but Galen caused it, not her. Why are Invisible Baltar and Six still around in the present day? Why did seriously everyone just decide to go off on their own and claim their own island - doesn't anyone get lonely? Why did Cavil suddenly decide to just shoot himself in the head after years of scheming and threatening and manipulating? Could he seriously not think of anything else to do? And seriously, what WAS with the opera house? It seemed significant and then they were all just like "oh, yeah, the stage is the CIC and the halls are Galactica. Yep."

Also I seriously wanted to punch Hera in the face for not SITTING FUCKING STILL FOR FIVE SECONDS. :lol:

I do feel like they kept putting in plot points that sounded significant, but went nowhere. Like Six and Baltar were supposed to have a baby, and then suddenly it's actually Sharon's baby because we can't have two pregnancies at once, or something. Then Six gets pregnant and they make this big deal about how love made it possible, and the baby dies anyway... which didn't make sense because the Cylons have been in love and not had kids before, so that theory is completely invalid. And we have this Cylon goo that's going to save Galactica, but doesn't. A dying leader takes you to Earth but doesn't get to see it herself... only she stops dying and does get to see it, so what does that do to the prophecy? Even on second Earth, she is dying but she at least gets to enjoy it a little first.

She was the harbinger of death. Kara was really the only reason there was an alliance with the rebel Cylons. That alliance destroyed the resurrection hub, bringing death to the Cylons from that point on. I've read an interview or two where the writers confirm that interpretation.
As for the Angel part, I kind of like that they left it unclear and didn't answer all of the mysteries. The God aspect was there from the miniseries on, so it's not like it was a sudden twist to the series.

I shared your frustration over the opera house after my first viewing, but it played better after I watched the series again. I think it was more about protecting Hera (the future of both races) than it was about the visuals. Definitely one of the weaker resolutions of the finale.

I thought the Six/Baltar baby always played more as metaphor of Cylons and Humans having a child than a literal pregnancy between the two.
I'm not sure I agree about the love theory. I can't really think of another point in the series where the Cylons have legitimate love to discount that theory. Baltar was too self absorbed and superficial in the early seasons to have reached that point.

I think the goo was really just a way of extending Galactica's lifespan a few more jumps. Didn't Chief say she was doomed even with the goo?
An early version of the script had them landing the ship on Earth. The end scenes were going to be an archeological team scanning the area with some sort of ground penetrating radar that showed the outline of the ship.

Moore has said that Roslen's character was the Moses archetype and was not supposed to live to see Earth. When it came down to writing the finale, he admits that he didn't have the heart to kill her off just before getting there.

Scoogs
04-29-2013, 06:40 PM
Now that you have finished, you can watch this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuoVwA7AsFI

:lol: I can't believe I've never seen that before. Brilliant!

mystima
04-07-2014, 08:49 PM
I can't believe they are considering this

New 'Battlestar Galactica' movie (http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/7/5591894/new-battlestar-galactica-movie-will-be-a-reboot)

fearless-freak
04-07-2014, 09:07 PM
i would have love to have seen Richard Hatch's BSG sequel

mae
06-10-2016, 02:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbvV_jk0ElU

Still Servant
06-11-2016, 02:59 AM
Don't need it. The reboot of the show was good enough.

Mattrick
06-17-2016, 10:32 AM
I'll watch it if it's good. Can't say I'm salivating for it. It's a goddamn good series though. Watched it through three times. Saul Tigh is top ten TV characters for me.

mae
06-23-2020, 04:53 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyuDUaUDwEs

Jon
06-24-2020, 10:17 PM
I really wonder just HOW MUCH damned whiskey they went through on that series! I'm sure it was iced tea but damn. It seemed like everyone had a glass in their hand if they weren't on the bridge or a fighter.